Julina of Blackstone - 038 - Beaming And Wending The Way Through Town

Printer-friendly version

Some very surprising turns of events

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

038 - Beaming And Wending The Way Through Town


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
038 – Beaming And Wending The Way Through Town

For some strange reason, I was the last to make it to the breakfast table – this was so unlike me, I was almost beginning to worry about it. However, I felt light and full of energy, as though a weight had been lifted from me, so I would propose with a high degree of certainty that my sleep had been refreshing.

The bright chatter around the table barely paused as I opened the door to make my way in. This was not, on that occasion, quite so easy a movement as it seems – Termerik almost bowled me over as he mumbled something through a very full mouth whilst dashing off somewhere. I assume that the complicated hand gestures he was making were some form of greeting to myself or maybe a farewell to us all – or both, I am forced to concede as a distinct possibility.

“Master Termerik,” I said smilingly whilst dropping a deep curtsey. Even that, however, did not make him pause.

He disappeared somewhat frantically as I assumed my seat at table - already in the middle of a conversation as Kords seemed to be in as much of a hurry as Termerik had been. The difference being that SHE was in a hurry to divulge her information.

“... and we can go to the kitchens and have a look around. Molly has already said she wants to. Shall we do so later this afternoon?”

“I deem we could fit such a visit in, but today is going to be very hectic for us all, don't forget. Let me just find out everything I need to plan my day, there may be other pressing engagements, so I shall maintain a silence about taking on anything new and as yet unplanned.”

I had to add: “I'm sorry, Kords, I really am. I know you want to do this, but it is my last day too, and I would like to be able to arrange SOME things for myself. But you and Molly could probably go without me, if something else comes up.” This was an addition that had become necessary as soon as I spied her disappointment, but the fact was that I was already quite busy and I certainly didn't want to commit myself to something until I was sure I could fit it in properly.

Lively discussions ensued about what to do, with about two hundred different suggestions being made - which wouldn't have been bad from just the eleven people gathered then together, but was actually very impressive when you consider that only seven or so of those eleven were really making any contributions.

Not even the grey, low clouds scudding by outside, plainly visible even through the thick glass windows, could dampen much our mood of bright expectation.

… … …

And so our last full day in Tranidor had started. For the record, this was the 18th day of Zuberak, in the year 1174 since the Great Flood, with less than a hand of days remaining until the end of the year.

To make its significance to us absolutely clear and accurate, this was our last full day in this town - as this group, of course.

Except, as it transpired, we weren't much of a group!

Suril, Haka and Haris were off to do their things on their own, and none of us whatsoever begrudged them that time to themselves. Haka had a silly little smile on her face as the three of them left the house together a short while later. The parents were holding hands and nudging each other and smiling and teasing and all that stuff that makes us other females smile and feel just the teensiest of teensy bits jealous.

What that meant, however, is that it was I who would have to call round to Nayet's and arrange for the collection and/or delivery of all the stuff we would need to transport on Haka's behalf, well Hasinet's behalf really, on the morrow. I would have to be the one, since I was the only other one that Nayet knew and would accept to be making plans on Haka's behalf.

I would need to visit the Semaphore Station and send a message so that the news of the mirror agreement could be conveyed, to find out if the Beam Lantern had yet been granted an Exclusivity Licence and, finally, Berdon and Bettayla would have to have accommodation arranged for them for when we arrived.

I also needed to go back to Tapio's with Epp, for which visit we had already made arrangements to be there at the second bell; to which, by this time, and thanks to an appropriate reminder from Epp, I realised it lacked but scarce more than half a bell! I rushed off to do my preparations for the day, saying that I would pick up whatever the plans of the others might be when I came back down.

Essentially, whilst I was hurrying about upstairs, they decided the meeting place would be, completely unsurprisingly, the Nest and the time for that meeting would be the Noon bell, which you may remember would only be a moment or so before the Fourth bell today.

Why, oh why, is it that always someone's hair decides to be thoroughly awkward when that someone is in a rush?

… … …

“Good morrow, Master Tapio.”

“Good morrow Mistresses Megrozen and Julina. May I present Master Ruckem? He is a senior representative of Master Moshan, who is a ...”

“Oh yes! I knew that I had seen him before. We met Master Moshan the other morning.”

Tapio, you will remember, had very mobile eyebrows and they were fully mobile at that heartbeat, when he heard my reply.

I continued: “We were not formally introduced at the time, for Master Moshan had to rush off, to the castle I seem to recall. Good morrow, Master Ruckem.”

“Ladies, good morrow. Mistress Megrozen, I am honoured to meet you at last. As regards the young Mistress here, I do recall that encounter – you, Mistress Julina, were the spokeswoman for your group. And you are but recently arrived from Blackstone, was it? I'm fairly sure it was, since Master Moshan has had much to think on since he met with your Baroness.”

I nodded my head to agree with him, and added: “Alas, we are due to return to Blackstone on the morrow. Our plan is to accompany the Shuttle that we might arrive just before the New Year's festivals. Mistress Megrozen, though, will be remaining here with her family.”

“I am sure that will be our loss that some must return, but our gain that the eminent Mistress Megrozen shall be here amongst us. Now, if Master Tapio and I might be granted a few, say a hand, of moments, we can conclude our business and I shall be out of your way.”

Tapio laughed a gentle and somehow wry laugh. “Why Master Ruckem, in one way this is also Mistress Julina's business.” He turned to me and explained: “For the production of your mirror, I require some extra equipment. I am arranging some financing for that with Master Ruckem as we speak!”

Master Ruckem gasped in surprise. “YOUR mirror? Mistress Julina I am rarely taken aback, but this has assuredly managed it! Surely the Exclusivity Licence is in the name of Master Pocular and some other man, Kord something. YOUR mirror?”

“Yes and no, Master Ruckem. It all happened like this. One day, my father and I ...” and so I proceeded to tell him the tale. Including the bit of using the mirror to see behind the chest to retrieve the thing that had fallen there.

I was embarrassed when Epp chimed in once I had drawn the tale to a finish: “So you see Masters, since Milady Garia appeared, it seems ideas have been released, and 'tis Mistress Julina here who seems to have had several of them before anyone else! The Steward and the Assembly up in Blackstone listen very carefully to her ideas, I can assure you. Why she has been responsible for devising a method of feeding our expanding population by introducing fish to a small lake, and she has been involved in …”

At that moment, a breathless Termerik rushed in and gasped out: “Maker! You are still here. I was afeared I would miss you. And Julina. I have urgent news. Oh, don't look so worried, Mother, it could well be good news! Very good news indeed. I rushed ahead of the other gentleman, for Master Rohid wishes to discuss Julina's idea with her.”

“Master Rohid? Who is Master Rohid? And what idea of mine?”

… … …

“... and you cannot mistake them. The elder lady is Mistress Mousa. Got that?”

“Aye, Mistress.”

“Then please repeat your instructions.”

“In the Nest will be Mistress Mousa, four girls and a young man. The message is Epp,” he giggled slightly at that name, and the other men around us had raised their eyebrows when they first heard it, “and 'Lina are delayed. Will meet at Shuttle Shed, Junction Square at 5th bell. Wait for a reply, then come back here as quick as I can.”

“Good lad! Off you go then.”

For, as it transpired, Epp and I had been drawn into a far larger meeting than we had ever expected. It was so much bigger that other urchins had been despatched, one to each of Masters Rohid and Ruckem's places of business to warn of delays, and yet another urchin had been despatched to Epp's business address for them to deliver five meals while we thrashed out the details of the 'Wender' scheme.

Master Rohid was the factor for Master Tanon here in Tranidor. As Master Tanon's company was supplying the modified wagons for the Blackstone Shuttle, then Termerik had decided to rush up to see if he could talk with someone at their offices, to be able to set up the 'Wender' system or, rather, its formation discussions, with me, before I left on the morrow. As luck would have it, he literally bumped into Master Rohid in the hallway. He was rushing to find someone, anyone, and Master Rohid came out of a side corridor at just that heartbeat. Termerik tried to explain his urgency and his reason for being there all at the same time, and was probably very lucky to have found the only man that could cater with his verbal outpourings.

Thus was Master Rohid the first to hear of his idea – which, as it turned out, was my idea actually; it was just Termerik's idea to take it so much further on this day. I would never have thought of doing it, indeed I might never have taken it further than just the discussions we had had amongst ourselves.

Before going further, Master Rohid, I find, is in need of some description.

From my observation of men in Palarand, which, in all fairness, I must confess to be somewhat limited, then most of them are clean shaven. That does not mean that facial hair is rare, it just means that moustaches and beards were not present on most faces. Some of the facially hirsute had just moustaches, some fewer number had just beards, whilst most had both.

Master Rohid, once he had removed his hat, proved to be one of those men I had very rarely seen, the ones I term 'Upside down heads'. For the top of his head was entirely devoid of any hair, and yet he sported both a moustache and a beard. His ears and his nose also sprouted tufty, spiky hairs which were very difficult to ignore when one spoke with him. I found it took enormous efforts to look away from these things sprouting from his nostrils and drag my eyes up to his.

Master Ruckem had stayed to hear my idea out, probably over-influenced by Epp's previous remarks about my having ideas, and Master Tapio was involved with me and Epp about the Beam Lantern, which also made Master Ruckem ever more determined to stay, and which made Master Rohid even more glad he had come. For once this latter saw my demonstration, then he immediately grasped the usefulness of them for his business, which realisation was considerably aided by Epp's description of how I had used it to let us make some headway through the dark cloud or fog or whatever it was.

And so began a very hectic, and wearying bell or two.

I think I would have screamed if I had heard “Heard and witnessed!" just one more time.

This phrase was most often uttered by Epp, Termerik and/or Master Tapio, although each of the others also used it on occasion. Termerik had been, at one point, despatched to the house to get some sheets of paper, and some reedlets, and the others were all amazed when Epp and I began making notes of the discussions, they being unused to females who could write, and also make legible copies for them.

First we discussed how the system might work, and then the discussions took a surprising, to me, turn ...

“... for if Termerik hadn't done his dashing about this morning ...”

“... decided its name. But if there is a better suggestion, then I am not wedded to 'Wender'.”

“... I think that Master Rohid would have a better idea than the rest of us as to how to set the prices and how to collect the money.”

“... and we would cover the costs until the scheme was up and running. In return for that, and for persuading the Count to grant a licence for the enterprise, then we would receive one fifth of the income.”

“How can you be sure to persuade the Count?”

“The count would receive one tenth – I am certain he would be persuaded to accept that, we know how to word things such that he would be pleased with that. In fact, we could almost make it that it was HIS idea, but that might create problems for others in the future.”

“And you are certain he would find this a good idea?”

“Oh yes, particularly if we offer him one twentieth. He will demand one fifth, and we will settle upon one tenth. That way he thinks he has got the better of us, and he will be pleased to call the enterprise into being, just to show what a good negotiator he is.”

“And how would the rest of the income be divided?”

“Another tenth would go, upon Mistress Julina's insistence, to young Goodman Termerik here. Of the remaining three fifths, then one would go to Mistress Julina and two to Master Tanon's company. We would maintain an account for Mistress Julina, the costs of which we would bear, as a thank you for introducing us to this scheme.”

I had wanted Epp to have some of the proceeds, but she refused, even though she was advising me, sometimes by dint of squeezing my hand or knee below the level of the table round which we were all gathered.

“… If my company introduce this scheme in any other town or city, then one twentieth of income shall be paid to Mistress Julina, and one fortieth to Goodman Termerik.”

“... Beam Lanterns. We would fund the set-up of productions in return for one tenth of the income.”

“... one fifteenth to Master Pocular, for a two year period. Terms renegotiated on New Years day, just as we have already agreed for the mirrors. If no Exclusivity Licence exists, then I shall deal with Pocular myself. I promise not to produce any until the matter is cleared up.”

“I publicly swear I am entitled to negotiate upon Master Pocular's behalf.”

Finally, all the dealing was done, three copies of each agreement were made, one for each party involved and one for registration, and then the congratulations and the toasts to a successful enterprise.

It was then that another sudden thought hit me.

“Hold!” I said, unconsciously lapsing into forceful mother mode, which shocked the men more than somewhat. “Master Rohid, how long would it take you to set up say four wagons, more would be better?”

“Well that depends upon how many more and when, Mistress Julina.”

“Excuse me for having jumped in so forcefully. It was just that I had another thought. A thought about how to help the Count decide for us, and how to get demand for the services.”

They all looked at me when I said THAT.

“I understand from conversations round our dinner table and the odd snippet elsewhere, that the extra day to start the New Year, the one that comes in four days time, will have most of the activities in the outer thingy, field, open space whatever its proper name is, of the Castle?”

“That is correct,” said Master Ruckem, “the festivities will indeed be mostly in the outer bailey.”

“Bailey! That was the word I was searching for. Thank you Master Ruckem. Well, suppose you said to the Count: 'You could garner much support from the populace if you provided transport for the elderly and infirm to get to the events.' …” I deliberately left it hanging there, to see if any would pick up on it.

Most were looking a little confused, until it was Termerik who said: “Of course! Run what would be in effect a special 'Wender' service to and from the Castle. Maybe even get the Count to cover the costs – that could indeed be HIS idea, to fetch them to and from his castle fields – and he would bask in the glory of having done something popular. Then you could sell him the idea of having a regularised service. That could be very good thinking, 'Lina. Perhaps with a refinement or two, but as usual, the core idea is sound.”

The other faces had cleared as Termerik made his explanation, and there were grins all round.

“Most excellent,” said Master Ruckem, his face seeming to reappraise me as he spoke.

“I begin to understand,” said Master Tapio, looking thoughtfully at me.

“A clever move,” said Master Rohid, with far less scrutiny of me than I had received from the others, “might need some refinement, as young Termerik here said, but I agree that the basis is sound.”

It really seemed that my idea about 'Wenders' might actually have gained a life of its own. And gained one far more rapidly than I could ever have thought beforehand.

The men shook hands, which has always struck me as being a somewhat strange thing to do, while Epp grinned in approval, and Termerik and I did a little dance which ended with an “Ahem!” from Epp as he kissed my cheek in congratulations and thanks.

We sprang apart, blushing, as the others laughed at us.

But the laughter from the others was good natured so we all had another round of congratulatory back and shoulder slapping.

And another round of pel.

… … …

“Well Master Tapio had a visitor with him and we had to wait a little longer than planned, and then the discussions took longer as well. Then we needed to discuss far more detail about the mirrors as well as the Beam lantern, and so our time was taken away from us. We both apologise. It is nice though that we can all meet a little earlier than arranged, and at another place!”

We all laughed at that, for Epp and I had run into the others as they were starting out to go up to Junction Square, which fortunate occurrence would give us a further half bell of what was a rapidly diminishing period of time.

Epp and I had agreed, also with Termerik before we parted from him (or, rather, he parted from us) not to say anything to the others in the 'Blackstone' group about the possibilities of the 'Wender' system being implemented. I was a very proud woman that one of my ideas had caught the imaginations of some grown-ups to such a large extent. Of course, I wanted to revel in my success and it was indeed very difficult for me to keep quiet about it. I had to agree with Epp though that there were just too many things that could still go wrong, so we didn't want to get everyone's hopes up, only to dash them once more to the ground.

“So what do you all want to do? I have to still visit Mistress Nayet, and I have to send a Semaphore. It is now scarce three bells before dark, and I would need at least one of those for my duties. So I suggest that Molly and Kords go with Epp to the business kitchens, for 'tis surely better to have Epp with you, accompanied by anyone else who wishes to do so. Then I shall go with Mistress Mousa to the Semaphore Station and from there onto Mistress Nayet. I also wish to purchase some things from a few stores I have seen. So who wants to come with me? Maybe we could have a third group, escorted by Parrier – with two of them and Parrier I would deem it should be safe and correct?”

“That I feel is stretching the definitions of what might be allowed, Julina. You are correct as to my going with Molly and Kords to my kitchens, and with Mousa accompanying you, however, I must insist that Kelly and Gyth each accompany one or the other of us. Parry, feel free to choose or to be on your own. You have, I deem, had more female company all the time we have been here that you are perchance happy with. Mayhap you should savour a bell or two alone.”

… … …

In the end, 'twas Mousa and I who went unaccompanied to the Semaphore Station.

I watched carefully as the clerk took down my message from my dictation, and listened carefully as he repeated it all before finalising it.

“From Mistress Julina, Tranidor East, for Master Pocular at Blackstone Central. Personal and Fully Urgent. H Mirror deal done; MR Tapio, two years, one fifteenth, date limit, signed, witnessed, registered. Same deal for Beam Lant if has Ex Lic. Does it? Also bed for married couple, 3 nights, arrive with us, 21st. Em's? Depart tomorrow noon, via Brayview and Forest Roadhouse. RYTO 180101.”

This time, I was able to give the clerk my message in total privacy and the whole reception area had been changed to ensure as much privacy as possible. They also had a better system for finding replies and had even instituted a way by which the replies were only given to the appropriate person. The workers there were much more serious, and, whilst no longer so laughter- and grin-filled, it was reassuringly … professional, that's the word.

And really quite expensive, my supply of coin was quite severely depleted when we left.

… … …

“I have the skirts ready and you could take them with you. Mistress Haka was a great help. Now you are here Mistress Mousa, then perhaps you should try both the breeches and the skirt that are for you?”

Mousa agreed when Nayet said she could get any alterations done that afternoon and ready for us to pick up in the morning.

“Mistress Julina, if you could just pull the shutters to, when I have lit a lantern. The house opposite has many prying eyes, I fear. Most of which belong to males.”

“I shall be glad to be of assistance, Mistress Nayet.” So saying, I turned to the window aperture and reached for the shutters, pulling them closed from each side simultaneously. Just before the gap shut out my vision, a movement in a window across the road caught my eye. I gasped in surprise.

“What is it, Julina?” asked Mousa.

“Oh! Er ... Oh! … nothing really! Mistress Nayet, may I please er ... take … er … these … these ... these two samples into the next room to compare in the daylight?”

“Of course, my dear!” she replied quizzically. I must have been obvious to both that I was lying to them, but they went along with me – for now.

I grabbed the two nearest bits of cloth, two bits which, I saw later, were of totally different colour and material, and dashed through the inevitable clutter in a seamstress' rooms, into the next chamber and got as close as I could to the opening where the daylight was pouring in. The other two followed me less quickly.

I made a great show of examining the pieces closely, while my eyes were looking out of their corners straining to identify the man in the window opposite. He had his back to us at the moment, but he started to turn around as I called to Mousa.

“Mistress Mousa, what think you of these,” I called loudly, but followed it up in little more than a whisper. “The man in the window opposite. Do you recognise him? I need to be sure, so I need to be able to look directly at him, but need to use these pieces as the excuse.”

And so it was that we did a little dance, and made some feminine noises and all the rest of it. I managed to get a full view of the man for two heartbeats and I knew immediately I had been right. He disappeared back into the innards of the house, and I turned to Mistress Nayet: “That man? Did you recognise him as perhaps living there in that house?”

“Why yes, that house has four levels and it seems to me that different people live on each of them. There is a family on the ground level, and an elderly lady and her son, on the first floor up. Your man is on the second floor up, and seems to be alone, I suspect that floor is divided into two as I see a different man in the left-hand window of an evening, so I deem he goes off elsewhere to work during the day. Your man only ever appears in the right-hand one, he seems to have no work as I see him there on and off the whole day. Above them, on the third floor up, the top floor if you like, there are a young married couple. She is recently pregnant, I deem, from her expanding waistline.”

“And is there some easy way to describe that house to a stranger? I suppose I can always say 'the one opposite Mistress Nayet', but maybe there is a more definite description?”

“It used to be called the 'Gallin' house, for that was where the city's stocks of Gallin were kept, along with Freehee, Chizzen, Koonkle, Vayter and some Malmris. Those others could be found also in other storehouses around the town, but all the Gallin was stored here.”

“I thank you most handsomely, Mistress Mousa, that is valuable information. Now I suggest you two go and get your fitting done. Time is flying!”

“But who is that man? Why are you concerned?”

“Oh Mistress Nayet, let Mistress Mousa tell you the story – 'twill save a little time, which is getting precious now. I shall write a list of what I have yet to do this day …”

I half heard the gasps and the exclamations as Mousa narrated the story of Brathan to Nayet and afterwards Nayet shook her head in amazement at the whole situation.

The fitting went well, and then we marked up the riding attire with the names of the recipients before packing them all into a carry bag.

We worked our way down Mistress Nayet's copy of Haka's lists and then we left after saying: “We shall arrive with our wagon at the third bell on the morrow, to load the bolts of cloth and the like. Is that in order?”

“Of course, dear ladies. I deem I shall be sorry to see you go. We have had much action since your arrival such a short while ago. Until tomorrow then.”

“Until tomorrow, Mistress Nayet!”

… … …

“Oh yes, That would be perfect for Mistress Swayga! I deem you should get that,” Mousa whispered in my ear.

Then came the bartering with the market stall owner and finally the item was mine, and added to the pile in my carry bag.

It was time for us to repair to the Nest for a revitalising mug of pel – and to use the facilities there. We would also use the time there to check our lists to see what else might have to be purchased.

I suppose that we shouldn't have been so surprised to meet the others there, all except Parrier, who apparently had gone off with Max somewhere doing boy things together.

I am fully aware that some men find it difficult to believe that we women can keep track of several conversations all at the same time, but I can assure them that we can. However, even that ability was put to enormous strain in the ensuing bubbling and confused quarter bell. Everyone was talking at the same time, some giving information, others correcting what were conceived to be mistakes, some asking for clarifications.

Epp's and my eyes met, and we laughed at the others without saying a word, nor with making any sound that might have had a chance of being heard.

I learnt, all at the same time, about the visit to the kitchens, a hitherto hidden market stall and presents that some of the girls had got for their mothers and siblings, all along with tales about strange and/or colourful persons that had been encountered. Oh and so much more as well.

In one way, I was pleased that there was so much chaos, for then I had the perfect excuse to be able to say later that I had forgotten such and such a piece of information. I also made arrangements amidst all this cacophony for a more detailed get-together with Epp, Molly and Kords to discuss possible catering improvements for use in the Salon, and a moment with Epp for arranging the logistics of picking up all the goods to be transported.

At one point, the owner had to come across and ask us to tone it down a little as some other customers were complaining. That immediately sobered us all up and we made apologies to the establishment at large and were answered with smiles and thanks.

The owner came across when it had quieted down a little and spoke quietly to Epp, having worked out that somehow she was our matriarch, but without knowing exactly who she was: “Mistress, I must thank you for the constant business you have brought us this week and, if I understand things properly, your party is departing tomorrow. I wished to take this opportunity to thank you.”

“Well, you are very welcome. Although perchance you have yet to appreciate that not all are departing on the morrow; some of us are staying. And I for one have found your establishment to be clean, well run and with tasty refreshments. I and my family will remain in town until the New Year, so I assure you that you have not seen the last of me, or of my family members at least.”

“Might I ask of you how your group came to choose our establishment as your meeting place?”

“Well it was like this …”

… … …

“Master Dicksen, Master Dicksen!”

He turned round to see who was hailing him.

Mousa and I ran up to him as he stood there, secure in his stance and his … serenity, I think might be the better word.

“I am Mistress Mousa and this is Mistress Julina. We met you the other night when those pickpockets attempted …”

His 'kindly uncle' face half smiled as he nodded: “Indeed Mistresses, I recall. What can I do for you?”

“We were going to tell Master Suril this evening when we are all together. However, we know not whether he would have time on the morrow, for we are departing at noon.”

“I see, and what information did you wish to provide?”

“We have been having some dealings with a seamstress, Mistress Nayet, is fact number one. Fact number two, is that some little while ago, Guildmaster Horran visited Blackstone and whilst there, discovered that his assistant, named Brathan, had been stealing funds from the Miners' Guild. He issued an order for Brathan to be arrested, but Brathan evaded capture.”

His face became a little more serious. “I believe that I have heard something or things about this.”

“Well, we have located this Brathan's home, we believe!”

His attention sharpened rapidly as Mousa said that. His now professional face encouraged her to continue.

“We saw him in a room on the second floor up in what Mistress Nayet tells us used to be called the 'Gallin' house. We were looking directly across the lane into his window, which was the right-hand one as we looked at it. Mistress Nayet believes that there are two accommodations up there at that level and in that house.”

“And how certain are you that it is he? Do you know him well?”

“Regretfully, I can NOT reassure there – however, Mistress Julina here has had face-to-face dealings with the man and she is absolutely certain.”

“I see. And what business might you have had with this Brathan character, Mistress Julina?”

“He was a diner in the restaurant in which I cook. After the meal, we had a meeting at which I was asked to speak, and the man was very rude both to and about me.”

A strange expression appeared on his face. He was no longer a 'kind uncle' and he appeared suddenly to be unconvinced. “A girl like you? A cook? And invited to a meeting which involved a Guildmaster? And knowing Master Suril? I expect you shall tell me that the Count was present as well? Where do you girls get this imagination from? Shall I be expected to believe such a tall tale? There is far too much there that is stretching any truth. Now be off with you, and don't pester us Watchmen any more.”

“Master Dicksen. I object to your attitude. Shall I have to send Master Suril to you? Perchance you might like to talk to Master Tapio, Master Rohid or Master Ruckem. Even Master Moshan. Or Mistress Megrozen. Or indeed, that Bormio person.”

He grinned as he replied: “Thank you Mistress. I needed to be sure and your reaction tells me everything. I shall see that Master Jalmond receives your information at the earliest possible opportunity. You have passed my little test with ease. And with a very impressive array of references as well, I must confess. I recognised your name, of course, from the Bormio business. But I had to be sure. I deem this town has been less peaceful than usual since your arrival!” He was back once more to being the kindly uncle.

“Well we shall make it quieter on the morrow, for we shall depart at noon.” I was still not totally mollified, but I wasn't as annoyed as I had been. (Later Mousa managed to make me see sense, in that the Watchman had to be certain of any information upon which he may have to act.)

We left the Watchman there after brief farewells and scampered to catch up with the others, who all wanted to know what THAT had been about.

Soon, however, we were all scampering together, for the lowering clouds had at last decided to let loose their loads, and a short sharp shower set us all asquealing.

And so it was we returned to the house, to discover no less than two urchins waiting for us.

… … …

One was with a message for Epp to say that the saddles they had ordered upon arrival in Tranidor, and which were supposed to have been delivered this afternoon, would not be ready until the morrow. Epp immediately sent back a rather short note to the effect that, if they were not delivered in the morning, then the entire order would be cancelled. They had agreed to the time scale and were now trying to change it. Of course, making the return arrangements slightly different might be a problem, since one saddle was for Mousa, so should be on our transport, whilst the saddle for Epp herself, could be delivered here to the house, and wouldn't be required on our journey – unless she decided to send Nelke and her saddle up with us. This latter saddle could be delivered at far more leisure.

The second urchin was one with a message for me. It was a sealed parchment that I hurriedly opened and found to be my reply from the Semaphore Station. I skipped over the congratulations for the Hand Mirror deal and breathed out a sigh of relief when I read that the Beam Lantern also now had an Exclusivity Licence. I sent that urchin off to Master Tapio immediately with the message that our deal was in place, asking that he was to please inform Master Ruckem, since he was also involved.

I was pleased to see also that Berdon and Bettayla would be expected at Em's.

After that little flurry of activity, it was nice to have a relaxing while to unwind from a fairly stressful day, and to get dressed more suitably for our last dinner together.

… … …

“ … the first day we have had together – ever. We are immensely grateful to you Julina for trusting some complete strangers. We were close to a nasty end and you have turned it around so completely that we can scarce believe the speed and changes in our circumstances. You have now, and will have forever, our profound thanks …” Haka broke off as she was by then crying too much to continue.

Suril hugged her close as he said: ”Aye Mistress Julina. 'Tis entirely up to you. And this trip, we feel, has been a boon in that all of you round this table, we feel now are friends – something we had none of a few scant weeks ago. You helped us out, fed us, found us work, and found us a home. We shall be forever there for you. Thank you is just so inadequate somehow. I deem that, with the help of Mistress Molleena there, that perchance a mix of her and my words are appropriate at this juncture. This describes how Haka and I feel.

“We once were lost, but now are found;
Were blind, but now we see.

“You have granted us a different and oh so much better life. I, we, can say no more.”

There were sniffles aplenty around the table and I was lost for words – for once.

Then someone else started up …

“... And I too would like to thank you for including me on this trip. It has been most enlightening and …”

“... For me to be so privileged as to be included in this company, a mere animal husbands-man, is something that I would never have dreamed of just a few months ago. I was mean and rude to you, Mistress Julina when you first came to Mistress Sukhana's …”

“... I started out only as your sister, but now I feel …”

And so it went on.

And on.

And on.

And on.

I didn't know where to put my face it was burning so much.

I had tried very hard to explain that I was the privileged one, that I had enjoyed being with my friends and that to be without them would have made this trip so much less fun and that I was glad to have been able to share it with people, so we could talk about it in the future, and that we …

It was my turn to break off in some choked way.

And then there were the thanks, the very deep-felt and obviously profuse thanks, from each of us to Epp.

She too tried to shrug it off, and I had a sudden insight as to the depth of feeling that the others had tried to convey to me, but I had merely been embarrassed about. I wanted to thank Epp properly and I realised that these others wanted to do the same thing to me.

I did my usual – I just cried.

There was so much emotion flowing round that table, that I'm surprised the house didn't sink under a great weight of water. Even the five men, remember that both Shemel and Mohini were with us of an evening, were affected as we could all plainly see, and it was quietly amusing, sufficient to bring me back from tears, to watch the men trying NOT to show their emotions.

Strange creatures, men!

I think the bond that we had all formed with Epp and Mousa was also a fundamentally important one, and Termerik would be missed when we left the next day.

I was tempted at that point to mention that he and I were bound together in a business way and that we would be in closer touch than we had before, but then I remembered we wanted to keep things quiet about that just at the moment, so I forced other thoughts into my head.

Which wasn't difficult!

A lot of things were said that evening and a huge number of bonds were formed, promises made and the like. It was indeed a very memorable evening.

An evening that was made even more memorable when Jogantha came in and suggested we should all hurry out onto the wooden decking at the rear of the house, the one that stood on long wooden piles so that we would stand over the water of the river which was gurgling and sucking at its various both deep and shallow secret points.

It was, for once, almost silent in this town, a silence that was a huge relief to us, we only now realised. It was as if great weight had been lifted, even if only temporarily. Is it too much to say that our senses were heightened somehow by this event?

The clouds had rolled away in a most peculiar way, there was a sort of column of clear air above us, and the wind had died completely away. We all stood and gasped as we took in the view. Shore-side lights, lanterns from houses, hovels, warehouses and even boats reflected in the water, creating a most enchanting effect that was beautiful on its own.

But still there was an added attraction as well.

Up above us, up through that oh so strange column of open air, the Veil was showing, its glory somehow enhanced by the restriction of not being able to see the full width.

The whole thing was very special indeed and we were struck silent ourselves by it all.

… … …

“If it pleases you Mistress Megrozen, there is a gentleman visitor for you. He asked especially for yourself, Mistress Julina and Master Termerik.”

“Does he have a name, girl?”

“Excuse me, Mistress. Indeed he does. A Master Tapio.”

And so we three were dragged away and even though this visit was brief and to the point, the spectacle at the back of the house had disintegrated by the time we got back to the others, who were all by then filing back into the house.

Master Tapio had merely called around to thank us for the message we had sent, to confirm that the signed agreements would be in place as of the morrow, and that he had informed, in turn, Master Ruckem. He further said that he understood Master Ruckem and Master Rohid had been up to the Castle that afternoon and that Master Ruckem in particular felt that things had gone well for our project.

We thanked Master Tapio, and indeed invited him to stay for some refreshment, but he declined, saying that his wife would be VERY upset if he wasn't home soon.

On that note, he departed, and we left the meeting room to rejoin the others.

But our festivities did not go on for much longer.

We were all aware that the morrow would be trying, hectic and emotional yet again.

As I drifted off to sleep, I reflected that the trip as a whole had worked well, with some noticeable disappointments, like GB, and some noticeable achievements, like Molly's 'cure'. I had come alive in myself somehow, and I could tell that many, if not all, of the others had also grown and become more rounded characters somehow. Yes, I think we could have enjoyed maybe two or three more days, but it seemed to me that our 'enforced' early return to home was, on the whole, a Good Thing. A dark thought clouded my head briefly – would we all still fit in back in Blackstone? I consoled myself with the thought that other trippers with Epp in the past had managed to re-integrate themselves.

I found that I was quite excited at going home again, and then, very suddenly, I found I missed my family fiercely.

More tears.

Another wet pillow.

But I was smiling through those tears.


up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Comment format

I'm getting to be like Sam I am in Green Eggs and Ham. I don't like it on a plane nor do I like it on a train!

At least the story is holding true in excellence.

DJ

Crikey that is a lot of stuff for one day

Cutting business deals, catching criminals, building personal relationships

It sounds like she is getting a fare deal for her bus idea. Clearly she is well on her way to being a significant businesswomen of her own by age 20 at worst.

Can you imagine if Julina had a cell phone?

Thanks for commenting - #1

Hi GR (#1) - are you different to the GR that commented after you? I shall assume you are!
I think Anmar is probably grateful at the moment that cell phones do not exist!

It has, I confess, been a struggle to come up with fair apportionments for these projects.
I believe I have managed it and, of course, have run things by other readers before posting - so perhaps I have got it right???

There will be further revelations in the New Year, but I have the next two episodes ready which will take us up to the end of this year - maybe I should just cut off Julina's story at that point? It is a possibility.

Certainly, I must await Penny's next post before I get too far into the New Year. I actually have enough material for two episodes set then!

Anyhoo, we shall have to see what happens.

Thanks again

Joolz

Cut off?

... but my JOBC is still under .08 ,,,,\\\

Thanks!

NDAs

Well she took a chance in showing them the beam lantern before it was patented. The concept of NDAs would have helped.

If you ask me 10% of the profits is pretty steep terms for a loan for a product that will have a huge market. It's like getting 10% profits on the iPhone. They are kinda like doing a venture capitalist thing almost.

Thanks for commenting - #2

On the assumption that you are another GR, other than the one that commented before - I thank you for doing so!

I have not said, deliberately, exactly what is involved, nor exactly for what the loan would be made.
One possibility would be that they would fund the entire set-up costs - then perhaps 10% isn't so bad.

Also, remember this is a society that runs on trust and oaths, hence the shock when criminal activities are discovered. And their punishments are harsh!

They are a society still to develop!

Okies

Time for me to go and do some cooking,
so thanks again.

J