My Other Daughter 2

Printer-friendly version

 

My Other Daughter
Sydney Moya
©2015
All rights reserved

CHAPTER TWO

ONE YEAR LATER

Jenny Wolhuter sat in the conference room of her law firm looking at the Golden Gate Bridge. She was a rising star at the prestigious law firm of Rutledge, Goldstein and Faber, an associate already in the running for plum position as a partner and this was from a person barely out of law school though she’d graduated magna cum laude and top of her class. The 21 year old had everything going for her, a stellar career, stunning looks, a vibrant social life and the biggest wish of her life was about to come true.

Sighing she reached for the picture on her desk and looked at it. Her sister June was in it and half a world away in Johannesburg. It had been over a year since they’d seen at each other and that had had been at the airport as Jenny left for the States to pursue her dream, leaving her family shattered. Her parents hadn’t spoken to her since she’d told them what she planned and she missed them terribly. Their failure to accept her decision to live her life as a woman hurt Jenny deeply especially considering how they’d completely cut themselves from her not answering her letters or taking her phone calls. June was the only member of her family in touch with her and consequently the only one Jenny felt she could ask for assistance.

“Hello June, it’s Jenny. I really wanted to talk to you but you’re obviously not in so let me just say it. I’ve finally got the money for my surgery and I’m going for the op next month I’d really appreciate it if you could be there for it, I don’t want to go through this alone and it would mean so much if you came. I hope you’re okay, everything’s great here, rumour has it I might get a promotion anytime soon so keep your fingers crossed for me. ‘Kay that’s about it. I love you and I’ll call you later. Bye,” said the message June found on her answering machine.

A great wave of sadness washed over June as she realised the importance of her sibling’s words. Basically in a month or so her sweet little brother would take the final step in his transformation into a woman, becoming Jenny forever for reasons she barely understood.

Jenny’s decision had meant leaving for America and becoming estranged from their parents who never mentioned her anymore. It was like Jan had died. The person she spoke to on the phone spoke in Jan’s sweet, high pitched voice basically unchanged since childhood but to June that person was a stranger she barely knew and possibly didn’t want to know. Deep in heart she knew she wanted her cute, sweet, shy brother back though another part of her knew that that same boy had been very different from other boys. They’d liked the same toys as children, when they’d played dress-up Jan had worn her clothes and had always played the part of the mother or daughter or sister. Not once June recalled had Jan voluntarily being the father or son.

Jan had also cried when made to get haircuts as well as despising having a penis. She remembered how much Jan had wanted clothes like hers and to be a girl all the time not only when they played. As she grew up she’d thought that had finished but it obviously hadn’t.

It hadn’t taken June long to realise her brother was unlike other boys. Just looking at her male cousins and schoolmates told her so but she’d never disliked Jan for it, in fact she loved him for being so sweet, sensitive and affectionate and as they grew up and apart that hadn’t changed.

Still the idea of a sex-change was so shocking even to a liberal young woman like her. After all those things were only done by crazy, unbalanced people whose stories appeared in the “wacky” section of her local paper.

In South Africa getting a sex-change was unheard of and in her 25 years she’d never met a transsexual. No wonder her father couldn’t even consider the idea and was of the opinion that sending Jan to America at 17 had corrupted him.

***

‘This house is so sad without Jan around thought June at dinner later that night at her parents’ home. Things were so different, her father was silent, taciturn, while her mother over-compensated by chattering to both of them, though it could never be the same as when Jan had been around as Jan had always been Rachel’s darling, able to chatter back to her and talk seriously with Dad while gossiping with June too.

Even when in the States for three straight years, talking about Jan’s latest phone call and prospects had done the trick. Now Jan’s name was never mentioned in this house and June wasn’t about to bring up a painful subject by telling her parents Jan was going to go under the knife and end up with a vagina in thirty days. That would be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Heck her parents didn’t even know she was regularly in touch with Jan. still it hurt to see how her parents pretended Jan didn’t exist. Sure Jan’s decision had turned everything upside down and hurt them but she was still their flesh and blood and nothing would undo that.

‘I know Jan would back me up if I needed it, if Mum and Dad don’t care I still do,’ she thought.

“Mum, Dad I’m planning on going overseas next month,” June announced at the end of dinner.

“Really, where to?” Rachel queried.

“Europe for some business,” replied June, “I also need a break,” she added.

She wasn’t lying per se because she did mean to go Europe before making her way to the US.

“How long are you staying there?” Rachel asked.

“Four to six weeks,” replied June.

Even though she’d decided to go the States it took June another 2 days to get back to her sister because she’d been having second thoughts about it. Was she about to give her approval for Jan’s unusual decision? Her parents would probably never forgive her of she was party to what they thought of as Jan’s folly. In the end though after a lot of introspection her love for Jan won out. Ever since they’d been kids she’d always looked out for her sibling and they’d always been there for one another. Even if Jan was a girl that didn’t change the fact that she was still her older sister and with that came a fierce protectiveness which had remained strong since Jan’s birth.

‘Besides, what if I was in her shoes, wouldn’t I need my family with me?’

“Hey Jenny, its June,” began June awkwardly when she called to tell Jan she was coming. The awkwardness happened every time she had to use Jan’s new name, getting used to it was very difficult but she did it because it was what Jan/Jenny wanted.

“Hey sis,” said Jenny cheerfully in the same voice she’d used forever.

Her voice had never broken but since coming out June had always been unnerved by it. It was so feminine, something she hadn’t realised until Jenny came out. Part off her knew this knowledge was poisoning her view of her sibling because she was now reading into every feminine thing about Jenny.

“How are you? I hope you got my message,” continued Jenny.

“I’m okay love,” replied June, “when do you want me to fly over?” she added.

“You’re coming? June that’s fantastic. You have no idea how much that means to me and I’ve missed you much,” gushed Jenny, clearly overjoyed.

June’s heart swelled, “I’ve missed you too,” she said warmly, “when I can come?” she finished.

“ASAP doll! You’ll love it here, there’s so many cool shops,” Jenny said, sounding very excited, “and we have so much catching up to do,” replied June happily.

Her sister’s excitement seemed infectious.

***

June guessed the queasy feeling in her stomach was trepidation. It happened every time she was on a plane, especially during the landing. This time it felt stronger than ever for reasons she didn’t quite understand though she guessed some of her nervousness had a lot to do with meeting her sister for the first time.

‘What would Jenny look like?’

‘What am I going to say to her?’’

‘Will people stare?’ June asked herself over and over as the plane made its descent.

Jenny meanwhile was waiting patiently at the arrivals lounge. She was even more anxious than June was. She had only seen her pictures but never met her as Jenny. Coming alone hadn’t helped much but since no one she was close to in the States had any idea of her background it had been the only viable option if she didn’t want to be outed by her sister. Not that she expected June to do that but she wanted to play it safe and avoid the potential for awkward moments with any third parties.

After clearing customs and immigration, June had walked slowly into the terminal, scanning the mosaic of faces for her sister's. Suddenly she saw a huge placard with, “JUNE WOLHUTER” inscribed on it. A svelte blonde was holding it up and she realised that girl was Jenny.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before starting towards her

‘Wow,’ thought June as she walked towards Jenny, ‘she’s absolutely gorgeous!’

Jenny happened to look in her direction at that moment and their eyes met. At the sight of her sister, Jenny’s joy overcame her nervousness and she rushed meet her.

“June,” began Jenny happily, giving her sister a big hug, “it’s so good to see you. Thank you so much for agreeing to come. So how are you?” said Jenny all at once after letting go.

June stood there holding Jenny’s hands and unable to reply because she was so shocked by Jenny’s appearance. The honest truth was Jenny was drop dead gorgeous with a long mane of blonde hair, attractive face, nice bust and sculptured legs to die for. Everything about her just shouted “girl”.

“I know, I know I look a bit different from when you last saw me but I’m very happy with who I am,” said Jenny, sensing her sisters amazement, “and chill I’m not going to eat you or anything,” she teased finally winning a smile from June.

“Well don’t you think a bit different is an understatement?” June remarked making Jenny laugh and lightening the moment.

“How are you honey?” June gently asked.

“I’m great sis,” said Jenny simply, “my life’s back on track again.”

Looking into Jenny’s eyes June sensed that she was right, her eyes were just so alive and radiated life and inner peace, something that had been absent that winter night in Johannesburg.

Jenny smiled knowingly as the older girl stared at her.

“Come on let me take this,” she said easily, taking the handle of the baggage cart from her sister.

“Okay shall we go home or do you want to look at the local attractions first,” went Jenny before striking a sexy pose which made her sister giggle.

“Still funny I see,” remarked June, smiling back

To be continued

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My Other Daughter

rlarueh007's picture

Wow! What a great story and looking forward for more. Thanks Sydney for it!

You're welcome

Thank you for that!

Sydney Moya

What a great story start and

What a great story start and it has me hooked already. Waiting, waiting, waiting for the next chapter and with the hopes, based on the story title that at least Mom will come to the party and finally admit to her new daughter that she has missed her and does indeed still love her.

I know right

Lets see if things can be patched up.

Sydney Moya

nice

Looking forward to more!

Thanks

I also look forward to writing this.

Sydney Moya

South Africa...

Didn't realize that's where they were located. (The father's first name, Willem, turned up last chapter but it was too subtle for me.) When you said in this chapter that June was in Johannesburg I thought you meant that she'd moved away also, until June turned up at their parents' house for dinner.

As you note later, their location does seem to me to put a different perspective on the family's lack of conceptual clarity -- not, of course, that it's any less devastating that way. It now appears as though June, at least, may reach complete acceptance.

(The story title, though, coming from the parents' point of view, suggests that there may be hope down the road.)

Eric

Location

I don't like to give away things too cheaply but here's another hint. This story isn't in 2015 but in the early 2000's and yes Jenny is South African. Her family is quite well off too. That's as far as I can go. I can only hope you will my find the rest of the story satisfying.

Sydney Moya