Without Direction

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 1

It’s just not fair. Why me?

I am walking around trying my best to survive. “Would you like a hand with those groceries?” I asked a man hoping to get some money to buy some food.

“Buzz off kid!” he yelled. That was the tenth one. I don’t think I will be eating today as well. People are not as generous these days. I watch customers coming in and out of the Safeway.

“Would you like a hand with those groceries?” I asked again this time to an older lady.

“Why isn’t that sweet of you,” she smiled. “Yes, I would. She hands me her paper bag of whatchamacallits, and we both walked over to her car. I hand the bag to her and she offers me a dollar bill.

“Thank you. ma’am.” I was delighted to get one dollar. I just hope I can get a few more.

I saw this couple come out of the store, I ran up to them. “Would you like a hand with those groceries?”

“No thank you, we can handle it.”

I have had enough. I sat on the curb next to my bag of clothes and my teddy bear and pouted. A young woman saw me sitting down on the ground and dropped a quarter at me. I looked down at the quarter and then up at her. She was heading down the street. A man came up and dropped some change at my feet as well.

“Thank You,” I Squealed. The store manager saw me begging for money and came out after me.

“Young lady,” he growled. “I would like it, that you would stop hanging around here. Go somewhere else. I looked at him with my mouth open. How could he be so cruel. I had enough money to buy a sandwich from him, but because of that, I am not, I left the store and walked down the street.

My stomach was growling and I needed food. Having to spend all day begging to get money, My stomach was now begging for attention. There was a sandwich shop near the Safeway, It was the only closest place to me. I walked over to it pulling my bag and holding my teddy bear with me. My bag and my teddy bear was all I have in the world. I worry I might lose it.

I would cry the most, if I lost my teddy. He is what I hold onto at nights, when I feel scared. He is also the only one I mostly talk to. He is just a bit torn and has a missing eye, but I still love him. I didn’t like carrying all my stuff with me, but where was I going to put it. It would get stolen, If I didn’t.

“Can I help you miss?” a man at the front counter of the sandwich shop asked, looking down at me.

“What can I get for only $3.32?” I asked the man.

“Um… maybe potato chips?”

“Oh.” I pouted. I knew I wasn’t able to live on just potato chips. I walked out of the restaurant and headed down the road.

It was like it everywhere I went. I had a hard time finding food for the amount of money I had. One place told me I couldn’t order, unless I had a grownup with me. That made me sad, because it was the cheapest place I could go to, All I wanted was a happy meal.

I settled on going to a bakery and buying a small loaf of bread. . It cost me every cent I had, but at least I was able to eat. It just meant I had to work again tomorrow. The bread lasted the whole night. I wished I could have saved some for in the morning, but I was very hungry.

When I went to bed, I looked for a place I could protect my things with. I found a large cardboard box, that I was surprised wasn’t taken yet, with all the homeless living in San Francisco.

~o~O~o~

When I woke up to something falling on the cardboard box.

“Great!” It’s starting to rain. Nothing like trying to stay warm and dry, when it’s raining outside. It’s already cold, I don’t want more of it. As I lay on the ground, I watch the rain fall. It was falling faster each second.

I heard thunder crashing and if there is thunder, there may be even lightning. Not the best place to be, during a thunderstorm. Plus there could be a flood, from all this rain pouring down.

The rain was starting to come through the shelter I made. I cover up myself with my blanket, trying to stay warm. I am shivering, while snuggling up to my teddy bear and hoping the storm would pass soon.

I have no idea what day of the week it was or even the month, but I have been on my own for quite some time now. I learned for quite some time now, I can not predict San Francisco’s weather. It’s not like I can watch TV.

I hear a car coming towards me and I keep still, hoping whoever it was wouldn’t see me.

*Splash*

Water from the road hit me, when it drove by. I was drenched to the bone now. So much for keeping dry.

Cold, wet and shivering, I get up and start down the road. It must be morning, because businesses were open. It’s hard to tell during a storm , what time it really was. The smell of the fresh baked muffins made my stomach growl. I wished I didn’t use up all the money yesterday on bread. I felt disappointed. As always, I don’t have any money and I hate stealing

I was standing in front of a coffee shop looking at the muffins and watching people going in and out. No one even bothered to help me. I’m guessing, because I was homeless and I was soaked from head to toe, from the rain. I walk away from the coffee shop with tears in my eyes. It seems like this is another day without eating. I thought to myself.

I walk into a building and sit down on a bench. I can’t be there forever, since security would kick me out eventually. Looking outside I wonder when the rain will stop.

“Achoo!” I sneeze. I feel like I starting to get a cold.

A little girl and her mom were walking passed me.

“Mommy, what’s wrong with her?” the little girl said, pointing at me.

“I’m not sure,” the mother answered. “But we better hurry up, you will be late for your appointment.”

It hurts me, when I see people pass by and not stop to see if I was okay or not.

“Achoo!”

I see a security guard come up to me. I start to panic.

“Hey kid, you can’t stay here.” the security guard yelled.

“But it’s raining out,” I cried.

“I don’t care if there was a hurricane outside, you can’t stay here, take your things and skedaddle! “

I grumble and grab my bag.

“And if I see you around here again, the police will be called and you will be charged with trespassing.”

I head outside again, in the freezing cold rain. I am still sneezing, and the security guard didn’t care.

As I walk down the street, I cry. It wasn’t like anyone could see me crying. I had to find a place to stay warm and also I had to find a way out of San Francisco.

As I hold my teddy, and my bag, I stop at the coffee shop I was at earlier and hoped that the owners wouldn’t mind me staying there to wait out the storm. I started sneezing and shivering when I got in. The lady that worked there saw me come in.

“Welcome to The Coffee… oh you poor thing, come over near the fireplace and dry off.” she helped me over to a seat. I sat down on the ground next to the fire took out my blanket to try to stay warm. It was soaked like I was. I believe everything I had on me was soaked.

The fire was wonderful and I was glad I found a place to stay inside. The lady came over to me with a cup of hot cocoa. “Here take this, it will warm you up.”

“Thank you,” I shivered and took the cup.

“What’s your name?” she asked me, while I took a sip of the cocoa.

“Ashley,”

“Nice to meet you Ashley, my names Emily. Do you live around here?”

I didn’t know where I lived, Being eight, I should know, but my family moved a lot. I kept quiet. I was worried what would happen, if I told her where I have been staying. I sneezed and wiped my nose on my sleeve. A man came inside the building.

“Hold on for just a minute, I’ll be right back. Gotta take care of this customer.” She turned to the man. “Welcome to The Coffee Bean... She hops over to the counter and makes a coffee or something for the man. It sure made a lot of noise. It looked like she made it with milk chocolate mix and coffee. Then she topped it off with whipped cream. I took a sip from my cup of cocoa. I was starting to get warm, but was extremely wet.

“When she was done serving him, a few more people came into the coffee shop. It just got busy all of a sudden. I stayed snuggled up next to the fire and watched every order she made.

I felt a little out of place sitting on the ground. Everyone sat at a table or in lounge chairs. I clothes I was wearing. An ugly gray shirt and blue jeans. Everyone else there was in business suits, skirts or dresses. I wish I had a dress, at least then I would look more like a girl, instead of a cross between a boy and a girl in these clothes.

Another worker came into the store, I can tell she worked here, because of the uniform she was wearing. Emily and the new lady were talking a little bit. I wondered what she was talking about. I played with my teddy, which was soaked. I squeezed out the water. I looked back up at the two of them. I felt a little scared. Worried that I would have to go out in the rain again.

Emily walked over to me. “Ashley, where are your parents?”

I didn’t want to say. I just looked at my teddy and started to cry.

“Did you run away from home?”

I still didn’t say anything. I just hugged my wet bear.

“Emily smiled. “You hungry?”

“Depends?” I said softly.

“Well, I asked Carmela to watch the store, while I took you out for a bite to eat. I can bring you to a restaurant and we can talk there.”

I smiled.

~o~O~o~

At the restaurant, we sat at a booth and I got a hamburger and fries.

Emily had a salad. “So, Ashley, where is your family?”

I looked down at my food. I started crying. “My dad is dead. I miss him so much. I wish he was still here.”

“What happened to him?”

“He was on train heading home last year and...” I was crying now.

“I hope it didn’t crash?”

I shook my head yes.

Emily gave me a hug. “I am so sorry about that. Your mom, was she on it as well?”

“No she wasn’t,” I sniffed.

“Where’s your mother?”

“I dunno.”

“You don’t know?”

I took a sip of my soda. “A few weeks ago, not sure when though, but mom said we were going on a trip. So we packed up the car and drove here to San Francisco. Mom drove us to the airport and asked me to wait outside with my bag, while she parked the car.”

“Really? that’s not safe,” Emily looked surprised.

“I waited for her for a long time. She never came back,” I looked down at the partly eaten burger.

“Can you hold on a second.” she took out her phone and started dialing a number.
After we were done eating, We went back into the car. I wasn’t sure who she was talking to, but she said that she was going to bring me to he house. It was still raining and I was wondering when it was going to stop. This was going to be very hard for me to get money. All of a sudden, we pulled up to a large building. Was this her house? I was surprised on how big it was.

“Okay Ashley, you get out of those wet clothes and into the bath I will get something dry to wear and be in there to get things ready for you.”

I hesitated. I didn’t want her to see what I had down below.

“Don’t worry, We’re both girls, it’s not like I haven’t seen what you have.”

I started to cry.

“What’s wrong, Ashley?”

“I...I am … Not like you at all!” My tears were falling down my face like waterfalls.

“What do you mean?”

“I… was born... a boy!”

up
200 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Cute

This is a decent start you have here and I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

No big surprise that a city

No big surprise that a city like San Francisco that prides itself on being open and accepting would treat a homeless person like that, especially a child. I see it all the time. I am thankful that she found someone who showed some common decency towards her and tried to help her out.

Great start, you really know how to hit people where it hurts and make us care about your characters. This one though hit harder than the others, but it's just as good if not better for that reason.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

thanks

That really made me happy, because I was worried this chapter wasn't as good. But you proved me wrong.

name.png

Ugh

Beoca's picture

If the mother did what and why I suspect she did, here's to hoping horrible things have befallen her - it'd be fair.

Ashley's life might be improving, and I don't suspect that Emily will give her a hard time about being trans. San Fransisco is not exactly filled with bible thumpers and evangelicals, after all.

Will be interested to see how this story continues.

A lost child

Thank you Natasa
I really enjoyed the first chapter and managed to read it through tears
A poignant story and I'm really looking forward to the next chapter

I felt like crying 8 year old

I felt like crying 8 year old kid and mall cop never thought to think why this kid on her own.Lovely start to this story

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

Nice, but sad

Jamie Lee's picture

Throughout the story, the implication is that Ashley is a girl. Nice twist at the end of this chapter.

It's a real sad state when adults can only scorn a child who shows every sign of needing help. Perhaps many have been burned before and are leery to help. But allowing being burned to rule leads to apathy, which Ashley experienced. Except for one lady.

Ashley's mom has no excuse for dumping him. None at all. She put him in grave danger from numerous directions, many which could have killed him. Staying on the street like he was being one of the slower ones.

Others have feelings too.