Racing Angels -chp 8

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 8
High school bullshit and courtroom heartburn.
Thursday morning was neither welcomed nor appreciated. For starters I was up at five, again. This being a girl shit is rapidly getting old. I was already wishing for the days of the three ‘S’s. You know shit, shower, shave, and be out the door. Now, I have to do everything from my hair to shave my damn legs. Then there’s the war paint. You know makeup. And today I have to really put on the looks. Today I become Roberta Lee McGuire legally.

It was with more than a little fear that I faced this day. Give me a track, a car, and I’m fine. Facing a Judge in a courtroom was not my race. I don’t even get the option of ditching school for court. No, my hearing isn’t until one o’clock this afternoon. Which means a full day of the boys in my school staring at my ass. All the while the girls get to harp on me about how to sit in a dress and walk in a pair of heels. To put it bluntly today is going to be a great big pain in the ass.

As I walked downstairs just after six-thirty my suspicions were proven correct. The whistles from Joey and dad had me reaching for the nearest frying pan. There was one in the dish drying rank next to the sink. “Put that down dear. I’ll not have your breaking my good frying pan over your brother’s head.”

I grumbled and put the pan back in the rack. “If he makes one smart assed remark about how I’m dressed mom his ass is walking to school.”

“Now dear, you have to cut your brother and father a little slack here. They were just paying you a compliment. Crudely, but a compliment none the less.” The way mother was handling the situation just made me want to pound on my brother all the more. “This is just part of what we talked about the other night.”

I dropped my head in defeat. Mom was right and no matter what I wanted this was just another part of being treated as a girl. “Okay mom, I get it.”

“Thank you, dear. You do look lovely this morning.” The smile mom gave me was enough to brighten my crappy morning start. If you have guessed it yet, I hate mornings. Living as a girl has not changed that one bit. “Remember to go directly to the courthouse following your last class. After that you, and your sister, need to head over to MRDI. We’ll be fitting both cars with your new seats.”

“About that Jewels, there’s been a delay in the new seats.” Dad said looking up from his kindle. “Jerry said another four days before they can have them here.”

“What caused the delay dad? I mean they had our old molds to go off of. All they should have to do is use those.” I knew something was up.

“Remember when we had you and Beth go through a new seat fitting?” Dad asked, and I just nodded my head. Dad waved his hand in front of his chest smiling. “Well, you have had a growth spurt in a certain area over the last year.”

“Okay I get it already!” I snapped. “I needed to get new bras so that means a new damned seat. How long until the new seats arrive?”

“Four days, Robbie. Like I said. Other than that, the cockpit setups of the two cars is perfect. We got a balance that is a straight-out winner for both cars. In the hands of you girls we stand a real chance at placing in your first year.” There was a sound of pride in dad’s voice that I hadn’t heard in a long time.

As much as I wanted to give up and say fuck it, but I knew that dad was right. After a quick breakfast I grab my purse, backpack, and gym bag. “Get a move on Joey. We don’t have all morning.”

Joey swallowed the last of his milk. Ran for his stuff. Me, I just went outside to my car to wait for him. I knew the bonehead would forget to bring his backpack down. Even as I slide butt first into my car I think about everything mom, Beth, Kelly, and Izzy, have been teaching me over the past few days. Mostly it has been things like how to sit in a dress, walk in heels, basically how to act like a young lady so that I don’t get read. I swear between school, practice, and girlhood 101, I haven’t had much time for myself. I was beginning to wonder if it might not be best to just say to hell with school. It wasn’t as if I didn’t have enough credits to graduate already. Hell, I had those at the beginning of the year. Then I remembered that pesky clause about actually having to graduate in my contract.

Once again as I pulled into the school’s parking lot the gearheads directed me to the front of the lot. Just like yesterday they directed to the spot next the band’s Majorite. I was a little surprised to find that there was a ‘reserved for MRDI drivers only’ sign in the spot. After parking Joey got out and headed for his homeroom. Me, I took a little more time getting out. I wasn’t ready to face the upcoming ogle fest as I entered the school. I knew that it would happen, I just need a little more time to get ready for it.

Taking a deep breath, I opened my door and slide out feet first. Standing up slowly I smoothed out my dress and grabbed my purse, backpack, then closed my door locking it out of habit. The wolf whistles came fast and hard. The gearheads may be some of the rudest, troublesome, ass hats in the school, but they were also some of the most accepting people in the school. Their biggest beef with me was always the fact that none of them could beat me in a race. When I told them, I would do my best to get them a ride if they cleaned up their acts, I knew that they would bust their collective asses to turn their lives around. I had held their dream in my hands. I knew the gearheads would do everything they could for that chance.

As I headed for the door the gearheads fell in all around me like a bodyguard. I looked over at Thomas Hart. “Okay guys, what gives? Somebody spike your pot?”

“Ya, like you said on Monday. No one is going to hire a bunch of drugged out street racing punks. We all got together over at Slow Jack’s Garage the other night. Old man Shepard really lit into our asses. He gave us all an ass chewing that would do a Drill Sergeant proud. He really went off when we told him about your offer. So, yah, we’re taking it seriously. We’ve all hit at least two twelve step meetings.” Thomas’s very blunt answer made me stop short. “We know we got to clean up our acts McGuire. That means hard work for all of us. Me more than the others.”

“Well, I hope that you can Thomas. I look forward to the day that you’re in the field racing against me.” I had to be honest with myself just as he was being honest with himself. I doubt that we’ll ever be on the same track at the same time. Then again, five days ago you would have say that there was no way for me to sign a F1 contract. The difference will be Thomas belongs on a NASCAR track bumping and grinding with the Earnhardt’s, Petty’s, Gordon’s, and Johnson’s of the race world.

Thomas chuckled at hearing that. “I doubt we’ll ever race against each other Robbie. I want NASCAR with all the good old boys. You belong in Indy and Formula One. You may not see it, but we do. You’re all champion and high heels classy. We found that out on Monday. You could have just told us all to go fuck off, but instead you offered us a chance at turning our acts around. You’re a real lady. No matter what the bible thumpers say. Today just proves it.”

“What does that mean?” I asked him as politely as I could without losing my temper.

“You look like a real high society lady dressed like that is all.” Thomas blushed cleared down to his neck. All while giving me the eye. “Why are you all dressed up? Not that you don’t look pretty normally.”

I wanted to slug the big moron, but I could tell that he was trying. I gave him a pass for the day. “Oh, thank you Thomas. I got to go to court this afternoon.”

“It’s not over what happened with those fuck sticks on the basketball is it? if it is then we’ll take care of it for you. We’ll make sure none of them get a chance at bad mouthing you Robbie. We may not be the stars of the school, but sometimes it’s better to have friends in low places.” Thomas growled with the rest of the gearheads popping knuckles and punching palms.

“Relax, guys. No, I go before the judge today to get my name change legalized. Today I become me legally.” I saw their looks of confusion. “After today my name will legally be Roberta Lee McGuire.”

“Oh this one of those things you gotta do when changing sexes isn’t it?” Dale Cartwright jumped in with. “I read about all the shit Robbie has to go through the night just to be herself. Talk about making something so simple legally fucking messed up and complicated. That doesn’t even take in to account all the doctors she has to deal with. You would think she had committed serial murder or something.”

I don’t know what got into the gearheads but whatever it was really flipped a switch with them. I knew that it had to be more than just the promise I made to help them get a shot at a pro-ride. I knew of one source to find out and I’ll have to wait to talk to her tomorrow. Today was Christen’s physical therapy day. I said goodbye to the guys and headed inside leaving them to talk with Dale. He must have really studied up on what it takes to go through gender reassignment because he actually was getting shit right. It made me wonder about him a little bit. Could he be hiding something from his parents and friends. Then I remembered something that Sharron once told me. ‘Life is a personal journey of self-discovery for everyone. It doesn’t always end out the way we planned it.’

As I walked the hallway to my homeroom I got more than a few confused looks, and more than my fair share of admiring looks as well. There were even a few looks of ‘I hate you’ from the girls. When I took my normal seat there was a collective gasp from those already present. It didn’t take long before the questions to starting coming hard and fast. Mostly from the girls. They wanted to know everything from where I got the dress I was wearing to who taught me how to walk in high-heels. I was so happy when Miss. Fechner entered the room and stopped all the questions. I had peace and quiet for the next forty-five minutes at least.

I grabbed my bookbag and purse when the bell rang and headed for my next class. I had gone only twenty-feet down the hallway when someone pinched my ass. I spun around as I screeched. I found a bunch of grinning assholes that all had one thing in common. Spandex onesies, padded mates, and public groping. I know that I would run into the shitheads sooner or later, but I wasn’t expecting it to happen this soon. I figured that they would have backed off even more after what happened with the basketball team.

“Okay, Stone. What do you fucking want?” I demanded of Steven Stone, captain for the wrestling team and all-around bully.

“We were just wondering if that was padding or natural. I guess those hormone shots work wonders now days.” The thug smirked. “Just a friendly reminder that we still run this fucking school McGuire. Sooner rather than later the schoolboard will come to their senses rehire our Coach. We’re the ones that bring in the big money for this school, along with the championships. You and your little want-a-be racing teams are a distraction from that. Get smart and drop out. You don’t then thing will get ruff for you all. The wrestling team isn’t as dumb as you think, McGuire.”

I just sighed and looked him in the eye. “You know something Stone. You’re right you’re not as dumb as I thought. You’re fucking dumber. You don’t get it do you? You fucking mate monkeys, and the basketball team are done. Your programs are on life support as we speak. The board is already talking about disbanding the teams for good. You have between now and the end of the semester to turn your grades around. You’re on academic probation already. Which means that you don’t get go to State.” I knew I was pushing Stone’s buttons. It was a gamble, but I had to do something to buy time. Time for the bell to ring or my pit crew and the teachers to show. Either one would be preferable to facing these thugs alone. The smallest member of the wrestling team outweighed me by fifty pounds. If they wanted to get pshyical I didn’t stand a chance in hell. Not the way I was dressed.

Stone just snorted. “That will change, McGuire. Once word gets out that you’re nothing more than a tranny freak. You’ll lose that fancy contract and be the laughing stock of the world. We’ll get our Coaches back, our teams will be reinstated, we’ll run the school like normal, and your tranny freak ass will be gone. Nothing left but selling your ass on the streets once the Coaches’ law suites get done with taking everything away.”

I had already heard about the law suites that Kline and Honeywell tried to file. They were thrown out of every law office in town. Not even the ambulance-chasing shysters over on Canal Street would take their case. The main reason was there were too many witnesses who saw their outbursts in the board meeting. Witnesses that were far more reputable than Kline or Honeywell will ever be. Our lawyers had gone to see them yesterday and informed the two jackasses that if they kept pushing they would lose more than just their teaching certificates. They would be losing their freedom. It was time to educate their protégées on the fact of life.

“Let me give you a fast lesson on the way the law actually works, Stone. First, your Coach is a known bigot and sexist. This placed his happy ass in deep shit. They thought that they could force my parents’ company into accepting your sorry asses as employees. Well guess fucking what. They can’t order an employer to hire anyone that doesn’t meet reasonable requirements set down by that employer. Which none of you currently can.” I pointed out before going on with my lesson.

“Second, threats of physical violence towards another is, by law, considered extortion. That can lead to things like RECO charges and jail time. You and your buddies can be brought up on the same charges by threatening me now. Third, all of you are on thin ice with the school for the number of bullying charges that were filed. There enough of those that if the police decide to get involved you’re all going down for a long time. Oh, and from what I understand is something none of you want. It seems that the local DA has a real hardon for bullies. He sent a seventeen-year-old boy to Longfellow Correctional for two years, then to be transferred to Kingston Correctional for another eight. That means ten-years total. Just for giving a kid a swirly last year.”

I could see that I was getting through to the dumbasses. The threat of jail time was a very real one. They may have been the cocks of the walk, but that time was gone. They no longer had that protection provided by their former Coach and Carson. I was saved from having to go any further by the ringing of the class bell. I knew that I was late. I also knew that the teachers would be stepping out to clear the halls. I was saved by the arrival of Mr. Harmon, and Mr. Coaster. They were both glaring at the wrestlers as Mr. Harmon started giving out orders.

“Alright people clear the hallway. You all have classes. I suggest that you get there now.” Harmon looked over at me and smile. “Miss. McGuire, I know that you only have three classes but skipping even one can cause you to be back here on a full schedule. Which I am sure you don’t need.”

I returned his smile. “Yes sir. Understood. I was just trying to explain to our valiant wrestlers the facts of life.”

“I’m sure you were, Miss. McGuire.” Mr. Harmon snarked then waved for me to get to class. I took the hint and hauled ass. I knew that Harmon and Coaster were going to have a private talk with the wrestling team members before letting them go. If they let them go. For some reason I had this feeling that those two teachers have been waiting for the chance to pounce on the wrestlers.

I walked into my second class of the day to stairs and a few accusing looks from the other students. Most of whom were my pit crew. I just shook my head and signaled that I was alright. Mr. Johnson just asked me why I was running late. I explained that I was helping Mr. Harmon explain the rules about sexual harassment to a few of the male students. Mr. Johnson just gave a strange look and told me to take my seat. I was left alone until the end of class. Kelly, Kathy, Cassy, Sherry, and Charlotte surrounded me as Danny, Jose, Will, and Greg took up positions just behind their girlfriends. I could tell they wanted answers.

“Don’t worry guys I’m fine. Harmon and Coaster shut down the mat monkeys before shit got out of hand. We’re all good.” I was doing my best to play the confrontation off as nothing big, but for some reason I was failing to fool my friends.

Kelly wrapped me in tight hug, while whispering in my ear. “Don’t bullshit the troops, Robbie. What really happened?”

I gave up and told them about my run in with the wrestling team on our way to our last class of the day. I could tell that the guys would be having a little talk with Stone and his butt buddies. Kathy and the cheerleaders had a similar look in their eyes. I got the impression that girlfriends, sisters, and mothers would be getting phone calls as well. There was one thing I learned a long time ago. Girls don’t fight fair. They use every dirty, sneaky, underhanded, lowdown, and dastardly trick in the book. And don’t care one wit about doing it. Like grandma once told me. Angelic faces often hide devilish hearts.

I led the way into our last class of the day as text messages were flying through the digital world. Nothing Mr. Harper could say or do would change the fact that my pit crew was pissed. They wanted the asses of the wrestlers for lunch and they were going to have them. Even if it meant facing old man Harper’s wrath. I needn’t have worried though. As soon as the bell rang phones were put away and Harper was given the respect he had earned. Not that all of the students showed him this respect and courtesy though. Sara and her crowd wouldn’t know how to show respect if it was a snake that bit them all on the ass.

As much as I hate the church crowd and their holier than thou bullshit. This one act of disrespect is enough to piss me off. It also pisses off Mr. Harper big time. He started snatching up cellphones faster than a diamondback rattlesnake. All he said when he returned to the front of the room. “You people can pick these up at the end of class.”

When the bell rang at the end of third period I just grabbed my shit and joined the others as we headed for the parking lot. Kelly climbed into my car with a smile. “Come on gorgeous, we got a hot date with a sexy judge.”

“Calm down, Kelly. The way you’re acting it’s like we’re getting married or something.” I chuckled at my girlfriend’s antics.

“Well you become official today Robbie. In a way it’s like you’re getting a second birthday. We’re all going to be there.” She told me with a smile as she pointed to the other kids. “We’re a team.”

I was slightly surprised when she said the team was joining us at the courthouse. When I looked in my rearview mirror I saw everyone’s cars in a convoy behind me. Whatever was going on with my team they were here to support me. For now, at least. I just hit the button for my playlist and tried to relax before reaching the courthouse. I was more than willing to deal with driving a car at over a hundred miles per hour but stepping into a courtroom terrified me to no end. I was about to leave Robert Burns McGuire Jr. behind for the rest of my life. In just a few short hours I will legally be Roberta Lee McGuire.

It didn’t take us long to get over to the courthouse. After parking the car, I started to shake. Until then I was as steady as a rock. Grabbing my purse, I took a deep breath to steady my nerves. Kelly placed her hand on mine giving me a small smile.

“I know that you’re scared shitless Robbie. This is not your type of race. You need to trust your lawyers.” She leaned over and gave me a quick kiss. “We both know that this is part of the deal with Mercedes-Benz and your racing contract.”

“It’s more than just that, Kelly.” I sighed. “For the last eighteen years I have been Robert Burns McGuire Jr. After today it’ll be like that part of me never existed. Everything I have accomplished has been as Robert Burns McGuire Jr.”

“Robbie do you remember that line from Romeo and Juliet? The about names and roses. How did it go?” Kelly got this faraway look in her eyes. “Oh yah. ‘What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet.’ Just because you’re changing your name to match your appearance doesn’t mean it wipes out all of those accomplishments.”

“I get that Kelly. I understand what you’re saying. It’s just that I never thought this day would come is all. I’ve spent the last two years going over this shit in my head and with Sharron. I know what I look like. I’ve know that sooner or later I would be forced to make the choice. I’ve put it off for far too long and now it has come back to bight me in the ass.” I sighed and leaned back in my seat. “I just wish that I had more time.”

“If you truly feel that way go in there and tell Mr. Dewey that you need to postpone the name change. You don’t have to do this today, Robbie. Me and all the others will back your play.” As much as Kelly thought that was the case it wasn’t. I knew better. That contract needed to be reinforced by legal documentation. Part of that documentation was a legal name change.

“No Kell, I need to do this today. I have put it off for long enough. Besides, you know that I have never been one to do anything half assed. The moment I started to live as a girl full time I knew it was time for the name change.” I opened my door and swung my legs out as I had been taught. “Come on time to go.”

We were the last two to enter the courthouse. I let Kelly go in front of me as we pass through the security check point. I place my purse on the conveyer belt right behind hers. I waited for Kelly to pass through the magnetic scanner then walked through. I was met by Mr. Dewey just on the other side.

“Hi, Mr. Dewey. Is everything in place for the hearing?”

“Just a slight change, Robbie.” I didn’t like that sound of that. I was about to question what was going on. He put me at ease with his explanation. “Judge Keller, has a hearing that has run over by two-hours. To address this your case has been moved to Judge Pitcher’s courtroom. This is a good thing for you.”

“How so?” I was still worried about the sudden change in courtrooms and Judges. I hate last minute changes.

“Judge Pitcher has far more experience with cases like yours. In the parlances of law his ruling will carry far more weight in the long run. Him hearing your case is a good thing.” Mr. Dewey explained then smiled. “By the way you look very pretty today.”

“Thank you, sir. I wanted to make a good impression on Judge Keller. Well, I guess that’ll be Judge Pitcher now. Is he really that much more inclined towards LGBT rights?” I asked him.

“Judge Daniel Pitcher, has ruled on more LGBT civil rights cases in South Carolina than most. He is a graduate of Georgetown Law. Did six years with the Navy JAG Office before going into private practice. He cut his teeth on these types of cases as an attorney for a small family law firm outside of Savana. He represented more than twenty individual cases concerning LGBT clients. When he was elected as Judge sixteen-years ago on his first try.” Mr. Dewey must have sensed my apprehension at the change in venue to be explaining as much as he was about the Judge Pitcher.

“Thanks Mr. Dewey. Is there anything I need to know before we head in?” I asked straight out.

“Not really. The Judge will ask you a few questions then make his decision.” Mr. Dewey took a deep breath. “He can rule against you. That only happens if they feel there is criminal intent.”

I just nodded my head and followed him inside. I took my seat up front next to Mr. Dewey while my parents sat in the first row behind us. The next four rows were taken up by the pit crews. On the other side of the isle the first five rows held all the guys from down at the garage. In short all of the MRDI family was in the courtroom. If I needed character witnesses. I had them.

The bailiff call the room to order, before calling for us to stand for the judge. I was surprised by the man that entered the courtroom. He had to be in his mid to late fifties. “Be seated. What do we have today Marry?”

“People of South Carolina verses McGuire, your Honor. Petition for name and sexual identity change.” The court clerk answered.

“Is the plaintive present?” he asked. While looking over the paperwork that was handed to him.

“She is your honor.” Mr. Dewey answered after he stood up.

Judge Pitcher looked over at me then at Mr. Dewey giving him a harsh look. “Counselor is it the plaintive’s intention to live out the rest of their life as a male?”

When I heard this I almost jumped out of my skin. Mr. Dewey placed his hand on my shoulder. “I believe that there is a misunderstanding here your Honor. The plaintive is petitioning for a male to female identity.”

Judge Pitcher did a double take. Then reread the paperwork before looking down at me. “I see. My apologies young lady.”

“You’re forgiven your Honor. I know that I pass quite well.” I figured that should I put him at ease. So, I lied. “I’m used to people seeing me as a girl. I find it relaxing.”

Pitcher chuckled. “No need to try and save an old man from his own stupidity. I should have paid better attention to what I was reading. As I was saying is it your intention to live out your life as a woman?”

“Yes, your Honor.”

“May I know your reasons behind your decision?” It was a valid question and I had no reason to lie.

“It is by medical necessity, your Honor. The drugs that were used to save my life from cancer had certain side effects that left me with little choice in the matter.” I knew that he would be asking for proof of my claim. That was why Doc. Sharron and Doc. Clancy, my oncologist, was here.

“Is there documented proof of these claims, Counselor?” He asked of Mr. Dewey.

“Exhibits seven, through forty-one, your Honor.” Mr. Dewey answered quickly. “The drugs to save my clients life were all highly experimental and the side effects were unknown at the time.”

Judge Pitcher spent the next ten minutes reading over what could only be my medical records. “Are the doctors present to collaborate these records Counselor?”

“Yes, your Honor. Both are present at this time.” Mr. Dewey answered before pointing to them.

“Then I see no need to challenge what has been presented. I do have a question for Doctor Kelly.” Sharron stood up so she could be seen. “Doctor, I see that the young lady has been in your care for several years now. Was it your decision to hold off for the name change or your patient’s?”

“I never force my patients to do anything your Honor. It has been Roberta’s decision to make and hers alone. Unlike some of my colleagues that believe children need to be told what to do, I try to guide them in their choices. When I first met Robbie, she was an extremely ill child filled with hate for every headshrinker in the State. If not the country. It took me a great deal of pain stacking hard work to get her to look up to me.” I want to bust out laughing at the way Sharron described our first meeting. All the pain was on my part with the hard work only on her part as she cut my bare ass with her hand. I think Judge Pitcher heard my snicker as he looked at me for a second before asking.

“I take it that you don’t remember your first meeting with the seriousness young lady?” He was smirking, so I knew that it was a rhetorical question. I couldn’t help it my smartass bone kicked.

“No, your Honor don’t. Oh, it was hard work but the pain in the backside was all mine.” My answer must have struck his funny bone as he started to chuckle.

“I imagine so, young lady. I’ve heard about Doctor Kelly’s sometimes less than normal approach to getting her patients’ attention. I only hope that your introduction was less painful than my niece’s.” he turned back to Sharron. “Doctor Kelly what is your opinion on the plaintive mental state now?”

“I find that Roberta is a well-adjusted young lady. To deny her, her rightful name and gender would be a severe and disabling act. One that could very well undo years of counseling.”

“Thank you, Sharron.” He turned to Doctor Clancy. “Doctor Clancy, can you explain the side effects of the experimental drugs and how they play into the young lady’s current petition?”

“At the time of Robert’s treatments, the following drug cocktail was used.” Doctor Clancy rattled off a string of four syllable words that sure sounded Latin to me. When he got done I was floored by the number of drugs in that cocktail. “Several of those drugs were long lasting hormonal in nature. Those hormones were used as a counterbalance to the harsher drugs that were used to kill the leukemia. And provide the needed bone density, muscle mass, and organ development. Unfortunitily the only hormones that would work with the chemotherapy drugs were female in nature.”

“Doctor I have to ask why male hormones weren’t used?”

“The primary reason was that the chemotherapy drugs that were used attacked young Robert’s natural androgens and testosterone. Some of those drugs are long term and remained in Roberta’s system. To use male HRT now would endanger her life.” I wanted to cringe at hearing Clancy explain what all the chemotherapy drugs had done.

“Thank you, Doctor. Now that I have a fuller understanding of the medical side of the case I am ready to hear from any character witnesses for the plaintive.” I almost chuckled when both pit crews stood up along with the guys from MRDI. “Are all these your character witnesses, Counselor?”

“You’ll have to forgive me, your Honor, but these are the only ones would could get the afternoon free. If all of the witnesses for the plaintive could be here this hearing would have to have been held in the gym of BS high school.” I did laugh at Mr. Dewey this time. I quickly regained my composure at the look from Judge Pitcher. I looked down at my hands to keep my control.

Pitcher cleared his throat. “I see. I take the young lady is well liked and a respected member of her school. Not to mention her community. How many have already given their statements?”

“All have given a written statement, your Honor. Those statements are in the evidence files, examples forty-two through ninety-three on the docket. If I may suggest, we just admit the statements into record rather than go through each witness.” Dewey smiled.

“Heard and agreed to, Counselor.” Pitcher waved for the others to return to their seats. “Thank you for time ladies and gentlemen. The court appreciates your participation in this matter.”

When he finished he looked back over at me and Mr. Dewey. “Will the plaintive stand?” I stood next to Mr. Dewey. “Young lady, it is often said that Lady Justice is blind. She has to be, so that she can overlook the failures of us poor humans who come before her. However, the Lady is not deaf. Today she has heard your pleas for justice. It is with great honor that I grant your petition.”

Turning to his court clerk. “Let the record show that from this day forward Robert Burns McGuire shall now be known as Roberta Lee McGuire. Professional Formula One driver for MDRI and Mercedes-Benz International. Case dismissed.” With that Pitcher banged his gavel. “Congratulations, young lady.”

“Thank you, sir. Have a good day.” I said as I stood up with everyone else. I received hugs and congratulations as I left the courtroom. Mom and dad were waiting just outside the courthouse as we exited. I noticed they were not alone. The people from Mercedes-Benz were still in town and standing there with them.

Bertha Benz, and Mercedes Jellinek, walked up and hugged first me, then Kelly. Bertha smile at the both of us. “You girls make a beautiful couple. Congratulations Roberta.”

“Thankyou, Mrs. Benz. This has been a day that I have long looked forward to. Now that it has finally arrived I just don’t know how I’m supposed to feel.” I was honest with the woman.

“Ja, I can see how this would be. You have your dream come true in just a few short days. It is a wonder that your feelings are not all over the place.” Mercedes Jellinek told me as she hugged me.

“It is more than just that ma’am. I’m truly feeling overwhelmed right now.” I couldn’t figure any other way to describe what I was feeling just then. “I never expected to have my dream and all this in just a matter of a few short days.”

“Ah now we hear the crux of the matter. You got your dream and wish that we handed over on the silver platter.” Bertha answered with a grin. “Then we go and give you even more.”

“Not so much more ma’am. Than just everything beyond what I ever imagined I would receive in my life.”

“This is the way of the world Roberta. One minute one is down, the next they are on top. Much life is much like auto racing. A bad pit stop, and you lose the race. A lucky pass and you’re in the lead. A simple twist of the wheel and you avoid the crash. Miss the turn and you spin out into a crash. This is the way of the racer. It is a fast-paced life with more twists, turns, climbs, and drops than any track in the world.” Mercedes said by way of explanation then smiled. “You have joined a very elite group of men and women my dear. They live on the edge. This is just the beginning for you and your sister.”

-----tbc-----

up
549 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Roberta

Wendy Jean's picture

was basically coerced into to legal changes due to both nedical changes abd her dream to race. My name and gender marker change was much simplier, I eben got to hug the judge and get pictures with her.

"They live on the edge."

WillowD's picture

That is a very good description.

I was lucky enough to get a ride on a race track once. What impressed me the most was the sheer G forces. The harness kept me in place but in which direction I was hanging kept changing every second or two. Even the long straight stretch only took a couple of seconds to drive through. And that was just on a slow Sunday ride (OK, it was actually a Friday) were we never topped 233 mph.

What an awesome day.

I know what you mean

wolfjess7's picture

Part of the reason behind this story was my vacation last year. My husband took me to see the Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway. Part of that was the NASCAR Experience. Where they take you out on the track with a specially designed Stock Car that has two seats. You go over 150 but talk about a rush. I was a Paratrooper in the Army and none of my jumps ever gave me the rush of those 5 laps on the Lady in Black.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Yea!!

Enjoyed going to Formula 1&2 in Europe while doing 1 of my overseas tours..Nascar to me is just 2 staightaways. And 2 right or left 90 degree corners. ??
Enjoy (all) of your writings!
a

alissa

Left......always left.

D. Eden's picture

And I agree, road courses are much more challenging. But I’m more of an IMSA girl myself.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Congrats and Happy Birthday

Congrats and Happy Birthday to the newest girl in town and the school. I can believe that Robbie, up to that point in the court, knew some of what had happened to her body, but not all. Now she definitely knows that regardless of what she wanted in life, racing or just living, it was always going to be as a female. No choices given her by the medications she was given or had taken per the doctors.

Just Bobbie Lee?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

So, since we only got Bobbie Lee this week, I guess we won't see anything about the Royal Wedding in the Death Dealer universe until a new story comes out huh?

Really glad that this story is so captivating. Reluctance, schmoozing, out-witting, all the roles this young'un has to adapt to, are making for some very entertaining reading.

I really like this overlapping stories you've done with Claymore and Racing. That way we still have Fridays to look forward to after one of your stories meets it's completion.

Knuckle draggers

Jamie Lee's picture

Those morons run the school? They need a reality check big time. They are merely students with over inflated egos. Students who think they will pass their courses because of what they do in sports. How will they pass their courses in the real world, a world that doesn't care what they did in high school but what they can give to the world.

A few will jump on their coat tails after high school, but that too will come to an end when no one wants to use them anymore.

As to their attitude towards Roberta, it's based on ignorance, not knowing why Robert started changing or what he went through just to stay alive. Maybe they need assigned to an oncology clinic for a semester to fully understand what some people experience to beat cancer. Maybe they should be thankful they don't have first hand experience.

Others have feelings too.

Wrestlers

They're quickly going to discover the facts of life. Their faculty support network has been dismissed (along with the coaches' attempted lawsuits), the threat of exposure doesn't work as Mercedes-Benz are already aware, and they've now got at least 40 students (the pit crews) on their case. So they can either man up like the gear heads or go down in flames.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!