The Beginning - part 12. Tough negotiations

Printer-friendly version

We walked up to my parents who were still standing at the door. I was determined to get this issue resolved. I felt confident and brave. I loved wearing my girlie clothes because it felt so natural. Well, technically they were Alyssa’s old clothes. The skirt and top fit me perfectly as if they were made for me. Of course, I loved the black tights the most. This was me. Riley.

Once we stood in front of them, time seemed to stand still for a short while. Then suddenly we all hugged. The hugging happened rather silently. Nobody was talking. I felt relief. I knew that everything was going to be alright. Once we took our jackets off, we all sat down at the dining room table and I took over.

“First of all, thank you for accepting me as the girl who I really am. I have always been Riley and that will never change. Meeting Sammy helped me to find and express myself. I also would like to apologize for Mary and me storming out and stealing your car. That was maybe not the right move but we just didn’t know what to do.” I said starting to tear up a little.

“That’s quite okay. Your dad and I were just so worried about you two. We did not know how to handle the situation and we were overwhelmed with feelings and emotions. But we are glad that you two are safe and back with us now.” mom said also starting to tear up.

“Yes. We are glad you are back home and safe. I apologize for being so stubborn. I just refused to believe that my son is gone. It hurts me deeply. But I have to accept this. However, I won a new daughter. Welcome home, Riley.” my dad said breaking out in tears.

Everyone cried so hard at the same time. I have never seen anything like it. I looked to my right and saw Mary completely break down in tears. So everyone cried their little hearts out. After a short break and lot’s of tissues and some more hugging, we continued our conversation.

I was still in disbelief that my dad came around so quickly. I thought he was going to be a tougher nut to crack. I felt so grateful and blessed knowing that I have such a wonderful and supportive family. I made a mental note to thank my dad for being so accepting now. I am sure he considered his thoughts a lot and carefully. I hoped he will give me some details about his feelings.

Mom decided that we should have some dinner and then continue our discussion.

“First of all, I am glad that our normal family relationships have been restored. Riley, your dad and I encourage you to be yourself. However, for the remainder of the weekend, I am going to have to ask you to restrict your dressing up in girl clothes to home. It is just a safety concern. Are you okay with that?” mom asked me.

“Well, I guess so.” I responded a bit in a hesitant manner.

“Riley, we want you to be able to talk to a therapist about being a girl. This is not to “cure” you from it but for you to share your feelings and thoughts with someone who is a professional and who is someone outside the family. We would have to do some extensive research to find a suitable therapist and I am not sure how long it would take to get an appointment but it is a start. What do you think, Riley?” my dad asked me.

“Yeah, I think that sounds like a good idea.” I replied. I was impressed. My parents apparently were considering and discussing those concerns a lot today.

“Alright. Looks like we are making some progress. I think that is enough for such an eventful day. We will continue tomorrow.” mom decided.

Everyone nodded in agreement. All four of us took care of the dishes and cleaned up together. When we were finished I felt exhausted.

“May Riley and I be excused?” Mary asked. Both of our parents looked at each other and nodded.

“Okay girls. But don’t stay up too late.” mom said while Mary and I headed up to her room.

We both threw ourselves on her bed and started talking.

“What a day this was!” I said yawning. Mary nodded in agreement and also yawnned.

“I think I will need a lot of sleep in order to recover from this crazy day. Besides, on Monday morning I have to go back to College.” Mary said sounding sad.

“Yes. That’s right. I totally forgot with all the excitement and craziness that we had. I don’t want you to leave but I know you have to.” I said thoughtfully.

Mary looked me deep in the eyes and after a short while I could see a grin on her face.

“Riley, you amaze me. It is hard to believe how fast you changed in those last few days. The most significant change happened from this morning until just now. You walked into that mall so confidently. Like you always were a girl. If I would have not known you, I would never have second guessed that you were a girl.”

I could not stop smiling. This made me feel wonderful.

“Aw, thanks sis! At first I was a bit hesitant to go out in public dressed as a girl but once I considered how exciting this idea was, I loved everything about it. I had so much fun with you and Alyssa. Thank you so much!” I told Mary feeling grateful.

Mary kissed me on the forehead and we both hugged for a minute.

“Let’s go to sleep. I am sure mom and dad are going to continue their discussion with us tomorrow.” Mary said looking really tired.

I agreed and went back to my room. I did not want to take off my girl clothes but I knew that I had to. I got into my boy pj’s and tried to go to sleep. Almost immediately I fell into a deep hole of sleep.

The sun light woke me up. I checked my alarm clock and saw that it was past 8 AM. I stretched and yawned and slowly decided to get up and find some breakfast.

I went downstairs and walked into the kitchen. Mom, dad and Mary were all sitting at the table having breakfast.

“Good morning, Riley.” dad said smiling at me.

“Good morning, everyone.” I replied smiling back at my beautiful family.

“Do you want something to eat? I made pancakes and eggs.” Mom told me.

“Great. I am starving.” I said and got myself a plate to get some of mom’s delicious pancakes and eggs.

“Riley, we are going to have to buy you a new wardrobe. Are you up for some shopping today?” mom asked as if my answer could possibly no.

“Heck yeah!” I said smiling and nodding.

“I want you to finish breakfast, shower and get dressed and then meet us all in the living room. We need to continue our discussion from yesterday.” dad requested.

“Okay, sounds good to me. I’ll be in the living room in roughly 20 minutes.” I said finishing up my breakfast.

“Oh hey sis, if you want to wear your jeans with a rather girlie top, I can give you one of my old ones.” Mary offered.

“That would be great. Thanks, sis.” I replied.

“Aw, still the two love birds. Alright, let’s get moving. We have lots to do today.” Mom insisted.

I put my plate into the kitchen sink and went upstairs with Mary. Mary said she will leave a top on my bed while I am in the shower. I showered, got dressed with a cute pink top and a pair of my jeans. I went back downstairs and met my family in the living room.

Everyone seemed to be in good spirits when I sat myself next to Mary on the couch.

“We are going to have to talk about school. You have to go back on Monday. Our suggestion is that you can start going to school being Riley but we are going to have to talk about that with the school administration first. There will be lot’s to figure out. This cannot all be done until Monday. So you are going to have to be Randy at least for a little while longer. At least when you are at school.” mom said seeming a bit worried.

I pondered this for a little while. I knew that this sounded reasonable. I did not like the idea very much but I could see that this made a lot of sense.

“Okay. Agreed!” I said slowly.

“Great. Once we have a lot more information we can plan how we should proceed. Your mom and I will do some more research. Especially regarding a therapist. I think this should be our number on priority.” dad said sounding determined.

Everyone else nodded.

“Riley, I want you to be aware that this is only The Beginning. We have to stick together as a family and love and protect each other. Because there are people out there who would not accept you as a girl. They will not accept you as the person you truly are. People who will be vicious and mean to you and maybe even hurt you physically. I decided I am not going to be someone like this. I am in your corner and always will be.” dad said in a very matter of fact kind of way.

Mary, mom and I stared at each other in disbelief. I wondered if there were any tissues somewhere in the living room.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That's what I like to see... everybody crying!

laika's picture

And not like the time when Fluffy got squished by the garbage truck.

A loving family and an easy win for Riley. Helps when your parents are decent
and sane and smart too, I loved what Dad said about counseling: "It's not a 'cure'..."
If he gets that it sounds like he already has done his research. And "I'm in your corner
and always will be" had me joining the tear-fest. As much as I enjoy knock-down drag-out
gut-wrenching drama sometimes (a plug for me: https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/12566/abattoir)
it doesn't always have to be hard. It's nice to celebrate when life + fortune smile on someone.

I got a hint from the way you boldfaced "This is only The Beginning"
that if you continue this it will be under a different title, and maybe focus on Riley at school,
And I'd LOVE to see more about Sammy. I have a feeling Riley's gonna need
someone in her corner now that Sis is back at college...
~hugs, Veronica

Some do, but not everyone will accept Riley

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I think it would be wise for Riley to let Mom, Dad, and Mary know about Michelle. And of course, Sammy's parents need to know, if Sammy didn't already tell Mom why Michelle decided she couldn't stay for the day. Her loss, she lost out on some fun with friends.

Might be good to take Sammy with on the next trip to the Mall with Alyssa, so she can consult on styles kids Riley and Sammy's ages are wearing.