Presidents' Day, Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 4: Getting Nominated - "Do you even know what 'vetting' means?"


 

Tom let it be known, through his friends and associates in his paper and the other White House correspondents, that he got nothing out of Jamie, and everyone just shrugged. After all, the consensus was that Jamie wouldn't have cracked. The word got back to her staff and the White House, and her reputation remained intact. In fact, there was some uptick to her reputation, especially with the president.

Over several days, a shortlist was made up, and it indeed included AG Xander from Wyoming. And, as expected, the list also included Senator Sugarbaker from Wisconsin, Congressman Hafley from Alaska, and Congresswoman Arrapayo from Hawaii. At the last moment, Matt Reynolds, the very popular ex-governor of California, was added to the list. In Jamie's mind, if they couldn't get AG Xander, Governor Reynolds would be the second choice - a far second, but still second. Reynolds' integrity and fidelity to oaths were legendary.

In any case, President Walsh had scheduled several meetings to discuss the shortlisted people, and to prioritize the list.

So, the president's Chief of Staff, Sam Banner, put the Deputy Chief of Staff, the Deputy Director for Communications, the Deputy Director of Planning and Strategy, and, at the insistence of the president, Jamie, the White House Press Secretary, in charge of the vetting.

The root word, "vet," means to make a careful and critical examination of something. But none of the senior people wanted to do the necessary work to properly vet the shortlisted canidates for VP nominees.

So it fell to Jamie, by far the most junior of the four assigned to the project, to do the bulk of the research. (As usual, the lowest person in the totem pole was given the crap job.)

To be fair, Jamie did a thorough job of it, and used her staff to do the research. And in terms of qualifications, their research showed the five candidates stacked up as follows:

#1 - Attorney General Freja Xander, Wyoming;
#2 - Former Governor Matt Reynolds, California;
#3 - Senator William Sugarbaker, Wisconsin;
#4 - Congresswoman Maria Arrapayo, Hawaii;
#5 - Congressman Alex Hafley, Alaska.

By far, the one with the most qualifications and credentials was AG Xander. Governor Reynolds was second, and the others were a distant third, fourth and fifth.

Anticipating the president's question, Jamie also had her people research the five for popularity, which necessitated a thorough blind survey where the people polled didn't know they were looking at potential vice presidents, so as to get an unbiased survey.

In the end, the poll showed the five candidates rated in popularity as follows:

74% - Attorney General Freja Xander;
10% - Former Governor Matt Reynolds;
3% - Congresswoman Maria Arrapayo, Hawaii;
1% - Senator William Sugarbaker, Wisconsin;
1% - Congressman Alex Hafley, Alaska; and
11% - Undecided.

Clearly, Jamie's "Aunt Effie" was in the lead again.

So, with the stats from her research and the survey, Jamie was fairly sure it would be Effie Xander that would be selected by the president, and then would be sent to congress for confirmation as the country's new vice president.

Jamie was therefore confident when she leaked the information to Tom.

As for Tom, he wasn't sitting around waiting on Jamie, but had been doing some background research on the people Jamie mentioned earlier, and had been working on articles that he'd be submitting to his publisher when Jamie said, "go." He was relieved that the shortlist ended up with most of the people he had been researching, and was happy his work wouldn't go to waste."

In a final meeting with the president and his staff, the final prioritized lists were revealed and were discussed at length.

Incredibly, after everything, the President decided on Governor Reynolds.

Jamie couldn't believe it. Sure, she knew that the president wasn't really as progressive as she'd have preferred, but given how far ahead of the pack AG Xander was, Jamie thought he'd pick her.

But she was wrong.

She met Tom in some nondescript out-of-the-way restaurant, and she told him the result of their deliberations - that it was Reynolds who would be nominated.

Tom looked at Jamie.

"Wait a minute," he said, "per your research, by far the most qualified and most capable, not to mention the most popular, was Effie Xander."

"Yes," Jamie said glumly. "In fact I'm supposed to give Governor Reynolds a call tonight, and invite him to a meeting with the president tomorrow, where he'll be told of his nomination."

Tom looked at her.

"You said, per your poll, Xander got an incredible fifty-plus percent of the surveyed..."

"seventy-four, actually..." She didn't look happy at all. "I guess the president really doesn't like transgender people, and he'd prefer to hold onto his prejudices, even if they weren't to his best interest."

"That is more than just surprising. I'm feeling a bit angry. I would think that Walsh would have picked the person that would have given him the best advantage, politically speaking, and the most help, regardless of his prejudices."

Jamie shrugged helplessly.

Tom looked at her, and, after a minute of staring at each other...

"Jamie," Tom said to her, "would you allow me to show this material to some people?"

"Tom..."

Tom put his hand over hers. "Trust me, Jamie - you won't get in trouble."

She shrugged. "I guess..."

He leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks!" he said, and rushed out of the restaurant.

Jamie touched her cheek.

"Gee," she said to herself.

- - - - -

There were very few people that knew Governor Reynolds was in DC at the moment, and was staying with his in-laws in their house in Chevy Chase. He was attending the wedding of his wife's sister, which was happening in a week's time, and he and his wife decided to come early so his wife could visit with her family and help with the wedding preparations.

Matt Reynolds didn't mind - he was fairly close to his in-laws, and looked forward to reconnecting with them. At the moment, he was enjoying his vacation from politics, although he knew that it wouldn't last.

It was unfortunate that Tom Flaherty knew Reynolds was in town, and was actually at Reynolds' in-laws' front door in less than thirty minutes, signalling the end of Reynolds' vacation.

The Bensons' housekeeper answered the door, and Tom introduced himself and asked if he could see the governor.

The nice Filipina domestic asked him to wait, and he patiently walked around in the Bensons' front garden while she presumably asked Mrs. Benson, and then, probably, the governor.

In about twenty minutes, Reynolds himself came out. He knew Tom from his time as California's governor.

"I'm impressed that you were able to track me down, Mr. Flaherty," Reynolds said.

"Good afternoon, your honor," Tom said.

"Enough of that," he said as they shook hands. "Call me Matt."

"I'm Tom."

"So, Tom - to what do I owe the pleasure..."

"Well, sir," Tom said, "I come bearing news - important news."

"I can't imagine it being too important, Tom. I've been out of politics for almost a year now."

"Well, sir, if I tell you something, can you promise me that it'd be confidential? I mean, if push comes to shove, I'm gonna deny telling you anything, and... you know..."

Reynolds looked at him appraisingly. Everyone in national politics had heard of Thomas Flaherty, and knew of his reputation. On the one hand, he was known as a hard drinker and a rough-and-tough brawler. But on the other hand, he was known to be one of the most capable and ethical among the nationally-recognized journalists. In fact, his ethics had famously cost him a job once, all because he refused to disclose the identity of a woman he spent the night with in order to preserve her reputation, even though reveling her identity could have cleared him of a libel case with a congressman that he was running an expose' on regarding kickbacks and campaign anomalies.

In the end, though his paper fired him, this just bolstered his reputation as an ethical reporter, and actually allowed him to land a better position as a senior correspondent for another national newspaper-slash-online magazine and as a regular contributor and commentator at the nightly news program of one of the country's TV networks (he actually turned down a position at one of the twenty-four hour news networks since it was his opinion that being forced to churn out news twenty-four/seven made for less than relevant news programs).

In any case, Reynolds felt he could trust Tom, and he was a hundred percent sure Tom would nail him to the wall if he were to break his word.

"All right," he said. "I promise." He stuck out his hand and they shook on it. "So, what's the news that made you travel all the way to Maryland, Tom?" he asked.

"Well," Tom said, smiling, "it's not that far to drive." He pulled out the documents Jamie gave him. "As you know, sir, Vice President Spencer resigned, and President Walsh has made it a priority to appoint a new vice president right away."

Reynolds looked at him. "You're not saying..."

"I was able to get my hands on the president's shortlist." Tom gave him Jamie's printouts.

With the papers in his hands, Reynolds turned to walk back into the house but Tom stopped him.

"I'm sorry, Governor - I can't let you bring those papers in the house..."

"I just thought we could sit down inside and get comfortable while I read through these..."

Tom firmly shook his head.

"Well... okay." So Reynolds led Tom to the front sidewalk beyond the house's gate, and they sat on the curb as Reynolds read through the papers. As he did, Tom took the opportunity to visit with the ex-governor, and talk with him about the upcoming nuptials of his sister-in-law. Tom even snapped a few pictures, and, though he did a thorough job with the "interview," it was acually just a cover for the real reason for his visit - if someone discovered that he came over, he'll just say he came over to interview the governor about the wedding.

After Reynolds looked the papers over very thoroughly (Tom suspected that Reynolds memorized them, too), he returned them without comment. Tom indicated that he'd continue recording their conversation, and Reynolds nodded agreement.

"Hmmm..." Reynolds said, apparently still thinking about what he just read, "maybe I should give Effie a call tonight and congratulate her. Can't say I'm surprised. I quite agree - she is the most qualified person around. In fact, if she ran for president, I'd vote for her in a second. In fact, I'd campaign for her."

"You called her 'Effie' - is she a friend of yours?"

"Yes. She recorded a bunch of campaign commercials for both my first and second runs for governor, and went out on a couple of campaign rallies with me. As I recall, those rallies were where we had the biggest turnouts. I credit her for my current points of view when it comes to equal opportunity and equal rights, and the LGBTQ community."

"How did you meet?"

"Well, I knew of her, of course. I mean, who didn't? I am a believer of equal rights and equal opportunity for all, including LGBTQ rights. California has a large and vocal LGBTQ community, and my views helped me a lot during my campaign. So when we were brainstorming during my first campaign, we thought of approaching Effie, and, from there, we became friends."

"What do you think of her?"

"She's a formidable lady, isn't she?" Reynolds said. "She's the most intelligent person I know, and knowledgeable about any topic you can think of. Very opinionated, too. I'm in awe of her. I'm also very intimidated by her. Actually, I'm scared of her!" They both laughed.

"I've only met her once, myself," Tom said. "I interviewed her about a project she was sponsoring in Wyoming a couple of years ago. I have to agree with you. Brilliant lady. Also, very attractive, don't you think?"

Reynolds, being the experienced politician that he was, sensed some danger in the seemingly-innocuous question.

"Off the record?" He asked.

Tom nodded, and turned off his recorder.

"Off the record, Tom," Reynolds said, "I think Effie is a stone cold babe!"

After a short moment of surprise, or, more accurately, shock, Tom looked at Reynolds. And then, as if synchronized, they laughed.

"Sorry! Sorry!" Reynolds said. "I know that's part of what we're fighting against - that people shouldn't be objectified - but can you blame me? In fact, Anna, my wife, became terribly jealous, so I tried not to hang around Effie much when Anna was around."

Back on the record, Tom turned on his recorder again and continued his interview, asking him things like what were his plans, what would he do if he did become the VP, and what he thought of President Walsh and his administration.

His answers were fairly typical - do his best for the country though no definite plans yet, et cetera et cetera - but when he was asked about what he thought of Walsh, Reynolds got quiet.

"Would it help if we go off the record again?" Tom said. He made a show of turning off his recorder.

Reynolds sighed.

"Well, Tom," Reynolds said, "truth is, I'm glad I won't get the VP job. I don't know if I could handle working with Walsh and his people. Don't get me wrong - I'd be committed to working with them, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd be resigning fairly quickly."

"Why?"

"A team player backs his team as best he can. If he has problems with the team play, he takes his problems to the coach and not to the the team, and after he does, he follows what the coach says. Otherwise, he quits the team."

Tom nodded. "Well, you don't have to accept the VP position."

Reynolds nodded. "That's right. But, truth be told, I don't know if I could turn it down if it was offered. It's too much of a temptation for a politician like me who has dreams of making a difference, even if I have to work with Walsh and Spencer and their bunch."

"Are you saying Walsh is as dirty as the VP?"

Reynolds shook his head no. "I have no proof, no, but do you really believe that good cop-bad cop act Walsh does with Spencer? The Vice President couldn't have done any of the things that he's supposed to have done if he wasn't aided and abetted by the President or his people."

"There's no proof..."

"That's what I said. But it's just a matter of time before things come out."

"Well..."

Reynolds gestured to Tom's recorder.

"So, Tom, what do you say - let's get back on the record?"

Tom looked a little ill-at-ease. "Well, sir... I don't know if you'll get mad at me, but..."

Reynolds looked at him, eyebrow raised. "What do you mean? Was what you showed me not real?"

"Yes, sir, it's real."

"There's got to be a 'but' in there somewhere..."

Tom took a deep breath. "Sir, the president already decided on who his nominee is... it's you..."

Reynolds looked at him, confused.

"But based on the lists you showed me..."

"Yes, sir. You were chosen despite them."

Reynolds still looked confused. "But... the list..."

"Yes, sir. Apparently," he said, "the president doesn't like transgender people, and he'd prefer to hold onto his prejudices, even if they weren't to his best interest." He anonymously quoted Jamie.

He looked at Tom. "What the fuck..."

"In fact, sir, you can expect a call tonight, and you'll be invited to a meeting with the President, where he will tell you the good news personally."

"That's..."

"Of course, I can't tell you where I'm getting my information, but you can count on it. My guarantee."

"Tom..."

Tom shrugged. "What can I say, sir? The president's not exactly the most open-minded person in government. But we knew that when we elected him. I suppose, compared to Senator Claymore, Walsh was the only choice. I guess this is the time when we have to pay the consequence for our choice, even if the lesser of two evils won."

Reynolds looked at him. "No."

"What do you mean, 'no,' Governor?"

"Just no. I know I would have liked to be the vice president, but there is someone in the wings that would be the better choice for the country."

"Governor..."

"No, Tom. We can't let this slip away. I have always told people that I'm a patriot, that I am willing to put the interests of my country ahead of my own, that I am willing to sacrifice almost anything for my country... short of my family, of course," he laughed. "Guess I'm half a patriot."

"What are you saying, Governor?"

"The country needs someone like Effie. I think she can do great things for us. And we can't let bigotry and prejudice win out. If I get that call from the president..."

"When you get the call."

Reynolds nodded. "Okay - 'when' I get that call - I'm gonna meet with him, of course, but I'm going to turn down the VP position when it's offered. And I'll do my best to change the president's mind about AG Xander. Prejudice is a bad thing, even during the best of times. And, in this one moment in our country's history, we can't afford it, not when we have a chance at having Effie Xander as our VP."

Tom looked at him. There were very few times when he saw something like this, when a politician wasn't just paying lip service.

"What can I do to help, Governor," he found himself saying. Well, what do you know, he laughed to himself. I guess I'm a half patriot, too, he chuckled.

- - - - -

Later, as he promised Governor Reynolds, he went to his news bureau and asked his people to get together all the material they could put together about AG Xander.

He then went to a cafe and anonymously logged on to the net. He then emailed the material he and his staff gathered, using anonymous plain-text files, to the governor. He did this to make sure there would be no trace going back to him.

As to how that would help, he didn't really know. But that was what Reynolds asked for.

As for him, he went back to the office to finish off his "camouflage" article about Governor Reynolds being in town to help his family prepare for his sister-in-law's wedding. He handed his phone to his assistant so that they could get the pictures that he took and clean them up.

Tom then locked himself in his office and skipped dinner to meet his editor's nine PM deadline.

He made the deadline, as usual, and sent the article about the weddinf off to his boss on time, along with a dozen pictures that he took. An hour later, after lots of judicious cuts and a little bit of a grammar fix, the editor approved it, and sent it back, already laid out, with the pictures, and a handful of ads.

Seeing the ads already incorporated in the copy, he knew that the article was going out in the morning with the next content update of the online magazine, as well as to the morning edition of the newspaper. That also meant that it would be part of the week's printed issue of the magazine.

His company was one of the few publishing companies that was still printing old-fashioned printed magazines and a printed daily newspaper along with their online versions, and the novelty of a printed magazine and newspaper seemed to be catching on again, such that each copy was almost always immediately snapped up, especially in the "boutique" newsstands that were starting to pop up.

He made sure to include some lines about Reynolds not wanting the VP job and his support for Effie, though it took some creative phrasing to make that an organic part of the article. In any case, he sent the text of the final magazine version of the article to the Governor, saying that it would be out in the next magazine issue:

"A Short Afternoon Chat with Governor Matt Reynolds, by Tom Flaherty

"Yesterday afternoon, this writer had a short but pleasant chat with the popular ex-governor of California, Matthew, 'Matt,' Reynolds, and talked about his plans for the future.

"Most people knew about the charismatic Reynolds - he has been very visible on the national stage for a while now, having been the governor of California for the maximum eight years. During that time, he created and passed lots of state legislation that has been responsible for lifting his state's finances from red to black, and creating an automobile industry based around green technology featuring zero-emission engines and alternative fuels.

"California has always been known for its love affair with the Green Movement, and for being staunchly against Global Warming, but Governor Reynolds has brought this to a totally new level by taking California's fledgeling green-car industry from what was largely a cottage industry into a state-wide industry that rivaled Detroit during the heyday of Ford and the Big Three, and cutting its air pollution levels to one of the lowest in the world.

"California parlayed this newly-found automotive expertise into twenty globally-affiliated motor companies, whose production runs are eighty percent for export, lifting the state out of the red and into complete solvency, and Californians openly gave Reynolds the credit for this near-miracle.

"California has also always been at the forefront of the Equal Rights Movement, and the LGBTQ community continues to look to California for leadership. Many innovative and far-reaching state legislation has given California a new perspective on equal rights taking from the so-called 'Magna Carta for Non-Cisgender Citizens,' and the rest of the nation is starting to follow suit.

"It is largely for these things that the Governor is mostly known for, but he has also done several other things to make California, the most populous state in the union, one of the leading communities in the world - in terms of technology, education and, of course, in entertainment: the Governor, as people know, is the husband to Anna Benson, the beautiful, glamorous ex-beauty queen, actress and model who has starred in more than a dozen of the decade's most popular cinema-based and streaming movies. Governor Reynolds has been featured with Anna in more than a hundred fashion magazine covers and has had interviews will all the major TV talk shows.

"This week, this writer was able to catch up with the Governor at his in-laws' DC-Maryland home. He and his wife are currently in town to be part of the wedding of Anna's equally glamorous younger sister, Natalie, which is shaping up to be the event of the year.

"But for all of his accomplishments, the Governor really has no immediate plans after his tenure as governor of the most populous state in the nation. It is expected, however, that, in some way or another, he would contiue to champion equal pay, universal healthcare, tax reform and equal rights - not surprising, after all: in the most populous state, these are, naturally, the most important issues.

"The Governor credits much of his opinions and points of view to the influence of his good friend, Ms Freja, "Effie," Xander, the Attorney General of Wyoming - the least populous state in the union, and the author of the 'Magna Carta for Non-Cisgender Citizens.' AG Xander also happens to be the most decorated still-living war hero, and the most high-profile transgender politician in recent history - something both the governor and the Attorney General do not really give much importance to - they give more importance to their being friends.

"There has been talk this past week, after the recent resignation of Vice President Spencer, that the Governor was one of the people to potentially replace the VP, but he has not given much weight to that. He told this writer that he would probably turn down the nomination if it ever was offered to him. He did not offer any specific reasons for this other than he felt he was not ready for such a responsibility. Asked who he thought should be the next VP, he did mention that he would gladly support AG Xander to be the country's next Vice President. He believes she is the most qualified, and is, in fact, one of the most capable government figures around, not to mention the most popular person in the country currently active in politics.

"But his main concern for the moment is to be there to support his sister-in-law, Natalie, as she prepares to marry Jacob Blumenfeld, son of Ambrose Blumenfeld, the owner of BMC - the largest of the twenty car manufacturing companies that helped California usher in what is now being called the American Automotive Renaissance, and nephew of Edward Blumenfeld, the fashion scion of the world-famous Blumenfeld House Fashions."

Tom's article then talked at length about Natalie and Jacob and how close Matt felt to his father- and mother-in-law. The long piece finally ended on a note about Matt Reynolds being a family man, and that he and his wife, Anna, were seriously contemplating having a baby now that he has more-or-less left California politics.

Tom noted in his emailbox that his email was almost immediately opened by the recipient. In Tom's business, this constituted clearance from the governor. But he didn't really worry - human interest articles normally aren't too big a deal, but nowadays, journalists try to be thorough, and it was important to him that Reynolds signed off on it.

He sighed, and finally thought of going out for dinner.

By now, Jamie has probably already called the Governor, and he thought Jamie was probably fidgeting herself to death. He chuckled at that image, and, to ease her mind, as he ate his late supper at his favorite greasy-spoon diner, he sent Jame the same version of his article that he sent to the governer via the same anonymous channel. Hopefully, that'll make her feel a little more at ease, he thought.

- - - - -

The following morning, as he had his morning coffee with his breakfast, President Walsh looked over his agenda for the day that his first secretary had prepared.

He noted that Governor Reynolds was scheduled for an after-lunch meeting, and this meant Walsh would finally be able to officially announce his pick for VP. He sighed. At least this whole Century Savings and Loan fiasco would soon be over, he thought, and they could all move on to other things.

As he was finishing his hash browns, bacon, biscuits and OJ, Sam Banner, his chief of staff, came over.

"Good morning, sir. Sorry to bother you at breakfast..."

"Not at all, Sam. Sit, sit! Coffee?"

"Thank you, sir," Sam said, and sat down. The president's valet came and poured him a cup of coffee, and he had a sip.

"You just missed Marilyn," the president said, referring to his wife. "She left about ten minutes ago."

"Yes, sir," Sam said. "The Women's Rights Movement, isn't it?"

"I think so," he said "or one of those women things. Nothing important. So. What's so important that we couldn't talk about at the office?"

"Well, sir, nothing, really, but someone from my staff brought this to my attention, and it could throw a monkey wrench in our plans." He handed over his tablet.

"That's worrying." Walsh looked at the article that was on its screen. "Hmmm. So Reynolds' sister-in-law is getting married. Not surprising. That girl is quite beautiful. Although I think his wife Anna is loads more attractive. Is that it, Sam? Should I congratulate him or something? Send flowers? Or, wait, am I invited to the wedding?"

"Ummm, no, sir, not that... Page down to the second page, and look at the second paragraph."

Walsh did so. "'He told this writer that he would probably turn down the nomination if it ever was offered to him,'" he quoted. "What!" He looked at Sam in shock, and then went back to the article.

"'He did not offer any specific reasons for this,'" he continued quoting, "'other than he felt he was not ready for such a responsibility, but he did mention that he would gladly support AG Xander to be the country's next Vice President.'"

He looked at Sam again. "So what does this mean?"

"I don't know, sir," Sam said, "but I think we need to look at alternatives."

"You think this is serious? That Reynolds would actually turn down the VP position?"

Sam shrugged. "I don't know, sir. But the article is by Tom Flaherty, and we know that Flaherty rarely gets his facts wrong."

"Dammit! ... Who's on the shortlist again?"

"Well, sir, aside from Matt Reynolds, there Maria Arrapayo from Hawaii..."

"Arrapayo... talk about liberal..."

"... Senator Bill Sugarbaker from Wisconsin..."

"That hick..."

"... there's Congressman Hafley.."

"I don't really know him..."

"And then there's Freja Xander..."

"Dammit, that gay guy again. That's it?"

"I'm afraid so, sir."

He finished off the article, and got quiet. Sam took back his tablet, and had a sip of his coffee. He waited.

"Ask Ellen to have a gift ready for later this afternoon," Walsh said. "Something for Reynolds' sister-in-law. Nothing too over-the-top so they don't think I'm fishing for an invitation."

"Yes, sir."

"Call everybody in, Sam. We need to brainstorm about this."

"Yes, sir."

- - - - -

Instead of their usual ten AM meeting like they usually did, Walsh and his immediate staff were gathered at the oval by eight AM. Chief of Staff Sam Banner, Secretary of State Talbot, the Deputy Chief of Staff, the Deputy Director for Communications, the Deputy Director of Planning and Strategy, several of Walsh's advisers, and Jamie, was there.

"I have to say, Mr. President," Secretary Talbot said, "the timing of this article seems a bit suspicious. Just when we were picking Reynolds to replace Howard."

"I don't know about that, Darrin," Walsh said. "His sister in-law is getting married this weekend. The writer obviously wanted to have the article come out before the wedding. So I don't think there's anything sinister about the timing of the article."

Talbot shrugged.

"Besides," Sam said, "I doubt there have been any leaks. Who else knows about about the shortlist besides us? Shaun, Michael - who in your staff know about the list?"

The two looked at each other sheepishly. "Well, Sam," Shaun, the Deputy Director for Communications said sheepishly, "I haven't really kept it confidential from my team..."

"Who among them have been working on the vetting?"

Shaun looked a litle chagrined. It was obvious that he and his people haven't been working on it.

"How about you, Michael?"

The Deputy Director of Planning and Strategy looked a bit embarassed as well. "Well, Sam," Micheal responded, "I did give the list to my guys to get some input from them..."

"... to get some input..." The president sighed. "So, the list wasn't really kept confidential... All right, who really worked on the list?" Michael shrugged. "Jamie?"

"Mr. President," Jamie said, "I'm sorry that I wasn't able to keep the list to just within the staff. I needed the help of my people to do proper research - I couldn't do it on my own. The list came from my team. And, of course, I had to contract out the survey. But the polling company is under an NDA, so I don't think they leaked the information."

"How about your people?"

"I trust my guys completely, sir."

Walsh nodded at that. "Good for you, Jamie." He turned to the rest. "So, I suppose you've all read the article. According to the article, Reynolds would probably not accept his nomination. Thoughts?"

"I think, sir," one of the junior people, Kelly, the White House Deputy Director for Outreach Affairs, said, "that Jamie and her people's research shows who the proper nominee should be."

"That transgender person?" Talbot said. "You have got to be kidding!"

"Well, sir," Shaun said, "according to the survey, AG Xander seems to be very popular. Plus she's a bona fide war hero, and her record is pristine. She would be a good antidote to what the VP left us."

"Survey," Talbot scoffed. "Who did that survey, anyway?"

"It's the same company that we've always subcontracted our polling to since before the start of the campaign, sir," Jamie said.

"Well..."

"There really is nothing to complain about regarding Ms Xander, I think," Jamie said.

"Except for the fact that he, or she, is transgender," Michael said.

"Well, there is that," Shaun replied.

"That seems to be a big exception, Jamie," the President said.

"Well... I suppose so, sir."

"I don't see a problem, Mr. President," Talbot said. "All we really need is for a VP that would follow our agenda and not rock the boat, and go with the party when there's a vote on the floor."

"I don't know about that, Mr. Secretary," Jamie said. "Vice President Spencer really did a number on the administration. Our latest job approval rating shows a thirty percent drop. Several people in the party are having problems, and they're having some issues with their constituents. We really need something to help improve our numbers right away, otherwise we'll be killed in the midterms, and our slim majority will be a thing of the past."

"You're saying, Jamie" Walsh said, "that, if Governor Reynolds turns us down, then the only real option we have is AG Xander."

Jamie shrugged.

"Jack," Darrin Talbot said, "don't tell me you're really considering a gay guy for VP!"

The room suddenly became quiet.

"Seventy-four percent in the survey is hard to ignore, Darrin."

"I think Alex Hafley or Bill Sugarbaker would make for fine vice presidents."

"One percent, Darrin. Even Howard Spencer polls higher than that."

"Then I guess we go with Arrapayo!"

"Three percent, Darrin. And talk about liberal! She's..."

"Then I don't know what I can do for you anymore, Mr. President." He stood up and stormed out of the room.

The president sighed. He turned to his Chief of Staff. "Sam," he said, "I want you to start doing a quiet poll among the party - see how they feel about Xander being vice president."

"Right away, sir," he replied.

"Also, Jamie..."

"Yes, Mr. President?"

"Give me a copy of that vetting document again, and all the background data you have on Xander."

"Yes, sir."

"All right, gentlemen," he said, "let's adjourn and get back to work. I'll let you know my decision after I've talked with Reynolds later."

Sam stood up. "Yes, sir. Come, friends, let us away. Thank you, Mr. President."

Everyone got up and filed out of the room.

"Sam," Walsh waved Banner over before he left.

"Yes, sir," he said.

"Find Darrin," Walsh said, "and ask him to come over. I have to talk with him."

Sam nodded and left the Oval.

Walsh had an early lunch to give him some time to go over the material Jamie gave him before Reynolds came over. Just as well, since Jamie had added a big pile of new stuff about Xander. According to her, most of this material was provided by her friends from the White House press corps, but these people were clueless as to why she asked for them, so there'd be no chance that there'd be any kind of leak.

After looking through the material, Walsh was quite impressed. It was like he had read a good adventure novel and, reading through the lines, he was given a better understanding of what it meant to be transgendered.

His one belief - the one thing that was stopping him from feeling sympathetic to Effie and other transgenders - was an innate belief that being transgendered was a matter of choice instead of something that they had no control over, but he was given the idea that, maybe, they didn't really have a choice - Freja Martina, when she was still Frei Martin, struggled against his inner nature, and fought to remain true to what he thought a man ought to be.

And it seemed to him that Frei Martin only gave up, and gave in to his true nature, when he couldn't fight it anymore.

Whatever the reason, Jack Walsh couldn't really question that Frei Martin, or Marty, was one of the bravest and most honorable men around, and was unquestionably a true patriot and hero.

It confused him, that such a... "man's man" (a term that his father used often) would turn out to be gay.

But Walsh suspected that his gender vocabulary might actually be limited, because he couldn't polarize his definitions to strict delineations of man or woman anymore, or heterosexual or homosexual. It might be, he suspected, that Frei, now Freja, might not be gay at all - that she was something else. He struggled to understand what it was to be "transgendered," and struggled with his lifelong assumption that "transgendered" was not a true thing.

Putting that aside for the moment, he turned to the matter at hand, which was to decide if this... person could be his vice president.

At the moment, his administration was starting to be buffeted by the issues that they had been able to skirt or outright ignore before. But these issues had now come back to haunt them.

In the back of his mind, he was thinking of their old plan of using Howard Spencer as their buffer to hide from the country the shenanigans that his administration had been indulging in. With Spencer to absorb everything, he and his people had thought themselves invincible, and did things that they would probably not have otherwise.

But now, they found themselves in this current predicament. And if they had Freja Xander, or "Effie" to his friends... "her" friends... as their new VP, might that turn all of this around? Assuming, of course, that she would be willing to play ball.

He had finally come to a decision.

If Matt Reynolds does decide to turn him down, he decided that he'd nominate the transgender AG of Wyoming.

Ellen buzzed to say that Governor Reynolds was already here. Walsh buzzed back and said to send him through in five.

Walsh tidied up a bit, and hid the folder he was perusing underneath other papers. He stood and put a smile on his face and in a moment, Ellen ushered the ex-governor of California into the Oval Office.

"Good afternoon, Mr. President," Reynolds said as he approached, and held his hand out.

Walsh moved from behind his desk and warmly shook his hand.

"Welcome to the White House, Governor. It's a pleasure to meet you finally."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, too, sir. Thank you for the invitation."

Walsh gestured to the sofa, and Reynolds sat and tried to get comfortable. However, that was something that was difficult to do, especially if one was in the Oval, and was in front of the president, about to tell him no, he can't have what he wanted.

But he was a very experienced politician, and was good at it. He was able to hide his misgivings in the easy and casual manner that he was famous for.

After a bit of small talk, the president went directly to business.

"I'm sure, Governor..."

"Please call me Matt, sir," Reynolds said.

"Thank you, Matt." He smiled. Reynolds nodded.

"As I was saying, I'm sure you're wondering why I asked you here, Matt."

Reynolds smiled. "Yes, sir - it has crossed my mind."

"Do you have an idea why?"

"Well, sir, I can't help but think of the rumors floating around the capital, that you are looking for a new VP."

Walsh smiled. If the guy was feigning ignorance, he thought, he's a better politician than I am.

"Would you be willing to accept the nomination? If ever it was offered to you?"

Reynolds frowned in disappointment. "I'm sorry, sir. I'm afraid I'd have to say no."

"Why, for heaven's sake? the Vice Presidency is an important position, and it makes a difference in the government on a daily basis, especially now, where the difference of the numbers in the houses is razor thin. The Senate President's tie-breaker vote is critical."

Reynolds nodded. "Yes, sir. I know. It's not that. It would be an honor to be the vice president. But I guess I'm still not done helping my home state. California's doing well at the moment, but she's still not completely out of the woods."

"Well, to be frank, Matt, we need some help here."

Reynolds smiled sadly and shook his head. "I'm sorry, sir."

Walsh looked at him appraisingly, but he took it well. "That's unfortunate," he said. "Well, all I can say is, I hope you're successful. All the best, Matt."

"Thank you, sir."

Walsh reached over to the side table and picked up a phone. "Ellen," he said, "can you come in please, and can you please bring in that package?"

"Yes, sir, Mr. President."

After a minute, Ellen, the president's First Secretary, came in carrying a big, beautiful bouquet of red roses and a box wrapped in silver tissue and a white ribbon.

She smiled to Walsh and Reynolds, and handed over the bouquet and gift to Walsh, as well as a small, square envelope.

"Thank you, Ellen," Walsh said, and waited for her to leave the room.

"Well, the reason I asked you here was to be able to give this to you, to give to your sister-in-law, Natalie." He handed over the big bouquet and wedding gift, as well as the little envelope.

"We know, of course, that your beautiful sister, Natalie, is getting married this weekend. I wanted to send my felicitations directly, but the First Lady reminded me these last few days just before the magic day would be ridiculously hectic. So I'm hoping that you'd give this little token to Natalie." He handed the bouquet over.

"These are beautiful, Mr. President. I'm sure Natalie will be very happy."

"Those are actually from the Rose Garden, and Ted, the White House groundskeeper, said you can actually grow flowers from the bouquet." Walsh handed him a note hand-written on a small piece of notebook paper. "Natalie might want to do that, and here are the instructions."

"Thank you, sir. That's awfully gracious of you."

"You're very welcome. Please extend to Natalie and Jacob my sincere congratulations." He stood up, signalling the end of their little tete-a-tete, and shook Reynolds' hand.

"Mr. President," Reynolds said hesitantly, "if I may - if you are really looking for someone to be of assistance to the White House in this time of trouble and transition, I think Ms Freja Xander, the attorney general of Wyoming, may be your girl. She's very, very popular with the public at the moment, and she is more than qualified to be part of your administration. I'm sure that, if you ask our colleagues in the party, they will be more than supportive. I know I will support her."

Walsh looked at Reynolds. He nodded at his words and gave his hand a final friendly shake.

After the ex-governor left the oval, Walsh went to the intercom on his desk. Reynolds' final words decided it for him.

"Ellen, can you please ask Jamie to come in?"

"Right away, Mr. President."

In a minute, Jamie knocked and came into the office.

"Yes, sir, Mr. President - you asked for me?"

Walsh nodded. "Reynolds said no."

"Oh..."

"I suppose we have to go with Plan B."

"Ummm, Plan B, sir?"

"Contact Attorney General Xander, and ask her to come over. Make it happen by tomorrow."

Jamie gulped. "Ahhh, yes, sir."

"Thank you, Jamie."

"Thank you, Mr. President."

Jamie backed out of the office and tried not to smile too broadly. Yes! she said to herself. She hurried to her office to contact the White House Travel Office, and then got out the old-fashioned rolodex from her desk, and looked for her Aunt Effie's office number.

- - - - -

Effie Xander put her phone down. When she heard Jamie on the other end of the line, she was all set to bawl her out for bothering her at the office. She loved her almost as much as she did her sister, Kat, but, just like Kat, Jamie can be a bit of a pest, as kid sisters are apt to be.

But then it was actually an official call.

"Hmmm..." she said to herself as she put the phone down. "The White House."

She thumbed the intercom on her desk. "Max!" she called. "Are you there?"

Max, Effie's all-around assistant, someone she's had with her since before transition, rushed over to her desk.

"Yeah, boss?"

"I want you to arrange for a ride to the airport for tomorrow morning. I need to get to Jerry Olson by seven AM."

"Huh?"

"The White House is sending a plane for me. Seems the President wants to see me," she giggled.

"Wait, wait! What?"

"Send word to the governor that I won't be available. Can you also check the schedule? All of my meetings for the whole day tomorrow has to be cancelled or rescheduled. Move what you can to Monday. "

"Effie..."

"Also, make sure your schedule is clear, too, 'coz you're coming with."

"Effie, wait!"

"Get in touch with Kat as well, and ask her if she wants to join us in our trip to DC. Tell her we're staying for the weekend, and should be back by Sunday evening. She might want to do some shopping. You know Kat."

"But, but..."

"Oh, and tell Pete, as well. He'll be going with us, or course."

"Dammit, Effie!"

Effie burst out laughing.

- - - - -

Apparently, that was Jamie on the phone, and she told Effie that the president wanted to meet her for lunch tomorrow. A plane would be sent for her, and would bring her straight to DC, where a car would bring her and her party straight to the White House just in time for lunch.

Because DC was two hours ahead of Wyoming, and the flight to DC would be at least three hours, the plane would be at Jerry Olson Field, the regional airport in Cheyenne, Wyoming, real early.

Jerry Olson was listed as a historical landmark, and has been used by many of the aircraft manufacturers, including Boeing and Airbus, to test their new aircraft there, simply because of the airport's altitude.

Half of the planes that use the airport were military, but there's about sixty civilian flights that take off and land at Jerry Olson weekly. It's not too many, but then it wasn't Ronald Reagan or Dulles - it's just Wyoming.

So, the four of them stood by the auxillary gate as they waited for the plane that Jamie had chartered to finish taxiing. Effie and Kat, wearing what looked like designer outfits (they would have stood out in any case, since both of them had long, bright-red hair and were drop-dead gorgeous, especially the taller Effie) stood with Maxine Freeman, Effie's short, blonde executive assistant. If the president and the governor had their chiefs of staff, Effie had Max. Max had started out as Effie's assistant at her small law office, and as Effie became more politically active, Max's role had grown to what it was now - Effie's all around super assistant, sidekick and best friend.

The three girls were surrounded by their baggage, and seemed a bit impatient. Jamie had specifically said to be at the gate by seven, and it was already ten after. It was pretty cold, and they were doing something that people knew not to do around these parts - stand around shivering in the cold.

Behind them stood Peter Stone, who was Effie's personal security. He was a Marine that was originally assigned to Effie as her one-man security detail when she was still a major with the US Air Force, a year before she resigned her commission and eventually starting her transition. At the time, her superiors were worried that she might be targetted, given that she had rescued an Egyptian as well as a British pilot during that short air border war over the Sinai.

There were actually a couple of tries, and Pete was able to foil one, and Effie was able to foil the other. They had saved each other's lives. And that was the beginning of their friendship.

And after Effie, as Martin, resigned her commission in order to supposedly pursue a career in law (secretly, though, it was to also start her transition), surprisingly, Pete also resigned, and asked her if there was some kind of opening that she knew about. And that was how Pete became her ever-dependable bodyguard and sidekick.

A couple of years after her transition, Pete had been able to fend off a few death threats, but, more recently, he had been fending off mostly too-enthusiastic fans (not a few of them being sexually-obsessed fans - and those were actually the scarier, more dangerous ones).

The plane eventually landed AND stopped a few yards from them, and when the cabin door swung open, a fire team of four Marines and their squad leader in dress uniforms popped out. The lead Marine came up and saluted Effie.

Effie casually returned the salute.

"Good morning, Major," the Marine said to Effie. "Your transport to Washington DC is here. May we take your bags?"

Without waiting for a response, his fellow Marines, swarmed over their bags, and in minutes, all their bags had been whisked away and stored in the plane's cargo area.

The Marine came back and saluted again. "Ma'am, if your party would care to board the plane."

Effie nodded, and the four of them started walking to the plane.

One of the Marines interposed himself between Pete and the girls.

"Excuse me, sir," the Marine said to Pete. "I need you to disarm, and for you to give me your sidearm."

Kat and Max were surprised that he was able to actually spot Pete's gun, but Effie and Pete weren't.

"No," Pete said.

"I'm sorry, sir," the clean cut Marine said, "I need you to disarm."

"No."

"Sir," he said, his hand going to the holster on his belt.

"Private," Effie interposed, "let me introduce you to Marine Sergeant Major Peter Stone. He has been expressly assigned as my military security detail, and he is expressly authorized to be armed. Especially around me." The other girls giggled.

The Marine's eyes widened. Clearly, he recognized the name. He cleared his throat nervously. "Nevertheless, sir, the sergeant needs to disarm."

Without being asked again, Pete sighed and opened his jacket, and, slowly, with hands and arms visible, Pete reached into a jacket pocket and brought out his wallet. As he did, his jacket opened a little wider and his holster was easily visible.

Pete took out his military ID and his special permit card, and handed them to the Marine.

The Marine examined them, and after a short moment, he handed both cards back, stepped back and saluted Pete.

"Sir!" he said. Normally, a non-com isn't addressed as "sir," but Pete didn't correct him.

Instead of saluting back, Pete stuck his hand out and shook the young Marine's hand.

"Thank you, Marine," he said.

The Marine shook his hand. "Thank you, sir. Oorah!"

Pete nodded. From there, the four stepped into the plane

- - - - -

On the plane, a uniformed female cabin attendant made sure that Effie and her friends, as well as the five Marines that came with them, were comfortable. Not having had breakfast, the four demolished the meals that she provided.

"How about the guys," Kat said, and gestured to five Marines who were seated behind them.

"They had their breakfast on the trip over, ma'am."

"Maybe snacks or something?"

"Of course, ma'am," the girl said. "I'll be serving them after you and your party, actually."

"Ahhh. Sorry about that, Miss." The flight attendant smiled indulgently, and, after she had gotten them their meals, disappeared into the cabin right behind the cockpit.

"I may have put my foot in my mouth, Effie," Kat said, and explained.

She gave her sister a hug. "That's okay. Maybe, what you can do is to help her serve the Marines or something. Show the girl you made a mistake."

Kat nodded. "Good idea."

When the girl came out with a bunch of sandwiches for the Marines, Kat apologized again and offered to help her. The flight attendant thanked her and accepted the assistance.

Pete also offered to help, and grabbed the big thermos of coffee.

He poured each of the kids a cup and chatted them up. After a while, Pete was regaling them with what amounted to war stories, and the young soldiers listened with rapt attention. Seems Pete was known among these Marines. Effie wasn't surprised, and she had always thought that Pete was a great storyteller and always liked an audience, and he has apparently found a new one.

And, while everyone had a good visit, Effie and Max were deep in conversation - apparently they were working. Max signaled the flight attendant and asked if there was a satellite phone they could use.

The girl seemed to have been ready for that, and provided them two phones.

And the three hours just flew by. Effie was able to make a big dent in the work she assumed she wouldn't have time to do, and Max just did what Effie needed, as usual.

But as soon as the pilot called into the cabin that they were ten minutes from landing in Dulles, Pete gave the Marines handshakes, and walked back to take the seat behind Effie.

Like it was a cue, the Marines started straightening their uniforms and became stand-offish once again.

Stepping down from the plane, a couple of the Marines led them to a stretch limousine that was standing by, along with police escort, while their baggage were put in a van by the other Marines. Effie was told that their luggage would be taken to the hotel that was booked for them. Meanwhile, they would be taken to the White House, just in time for Effie's meeting with the President.

Effie took a few minutes to shake the hands of her escorts.

- - - - -

Whatever the reason, when one steps into the White House, especially if it was their first time, there's a kind of visceral effect. And it wasn't any different for the four of them. It was the first time for Effie, Kat, Max and Pete to be in the White House, and their reaction was expected.

Effie was ushered into the Oval Office, and regardless who was the president at the time, the powerful effect of the Oval was rarely diminished.

"Good morning, Effie," President Walsh called through the door. "Come in, come in! Welcome to the White House."

Effie stepped into the office, and the president closed the door.

Max and the others weren't ushered in, so they found themselves standing right outside the door, in the president's secretary's area.

"Now what?" Kat said.

Ellen, the president's First Secretary, cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, but that meeting may run for a while. Perhaps I can bring you to the Palm Room, where you can wait until the Attorney General and the President are done with their meeting?"

As they looked at each other, they heard someone clear her throat. Kat turned and saw Jamie. And as she did, the two screamed, and rushed to hug each other.

"Jamie!" Ellen exclaimed in a semi-serious rebuke. "Remember where you are!"

"Ooops! Sorry, Mrs. Lippencott," Jamie said contritely, but as soon as Kat and Jamie looked at each other, they giggled.

Kat introduced Max and Pete, and Jamie said hi. And then she spirited Kat away to have a gab-fest.

Max looked at Ellen and shrugged. For a lack of something to do, Max allowed herself to be ushered to the Palm Room. She asked if she could use her cellphone, and Ellen said it was fine. Max felt relieved since that meant she can do some work.

"Coming, Pete?" she asked, but Pete shook his head.

"Thanks," he said, "but I'm staying here."

She nodded, understanding. "Okay. Call me for whatever." Pete nodded, and Max went with her escort to the Palm Room, wherever that was.

"Sir?" Ellen said.

"Sorry, Ma'am," Pete said, "but I'm staying here."

"Ummm..."

"I'm with the attorney general's security detail. I need to be here."

She glanced down and saw the sidearm under his jacket. But then, Pete wasn't really hiding it. "I understand," she said.

"Thank you, ma'am."

"But I hope it's okay if I call the Secret Service?"

Pete nodded. "I understand, ma'am."

"If you want, you can sit over there," she gestured to a couple of visitors' chairs leaning against the wall. "And there are a couple of magazines there if you're interested."

"Thank you, ma'am." And Pete went to the chairs.

After about an hour, Kat and Max were back by Ellen's desk. But it seemed that Effie's meeting with the President wasn't done yet.

Kat introduced Jamie to Max, explaining that they knew each other from their time in Columbia.

"Do you know why they're taking such a long time, Jamie?" Max asked.

Jamie shrugged. "I don't know. But I know that the president is giving Aunt Effie some good news."

Max looked at Jamie incredulously. "You mean..."

"Absolutely!" Jamie said. The door to the Oval Office opened. "Here they come!"

The president ushered Effie out.

"Let's hope everything goes smoothly," he was saying to Effie. "I guess we just keep our fingers crossed."

"Of course," Effie said. "Thank you for this great opportunity sir. Rest assured I will do my best."

They shook hands warmly.

I'm sure you will, my dear," he said. The famed Walsh Charm was in full evidence.

He then asked to meet Max and Kat, and he was equally charming. Tough-as-nails Max was blushing non-stop and Kat was short of giggling.

Effie and the President's meeting had gone overlong, and there was no time for lunch - the president's time was scheduled down to the minute - so the four ended up having lunch out, with Jamie taking them to her favorite place for a late meal.

"You don't have to take us out for lunch, Jamie," Effie said, giving her a hug. "I'm sure you have some work."

"What do you mean? The boss instructed me to." They all laughed.

"The president was so embarrassed," Jamie explained, "that he couldn't have lunch with you, so he asked me to take you guys out."

"Ahhhh."

The place she took them to was in Columbia Heights, and was called Bad Saint. It featured contemporary interpretations of Filipino dishes that the four had never heard of, but Jamie just loved it.

There were no reservations, but since it was after the lunch-hour rush, their party easily found a table.

Jamie ordered for everyone, and ordered tall glasses of some kind of drink with little tapioca balls at the bottom.

Pete left the four on their own, though, and found a spot at the bar. As Effie's bodyguard, he needed to be at a vantage point where he could properly survey the patrons in the restaurant, and sipped at a tall glass of club soda.

The main topic of discussion over lunch was, of course, the meeting Effie had with the president, and the big news was that Walsh was nominating Effie for Vice President.

Kat and Max were gobsmacked. They couldn't believe it - a conservative like Walsh actually nominating an LGBTQ civil servant like Effie, but Effie explained the president's point of view.

"The president explained that the situation with the vice presidency was very tricky," Effie said in her low but sexy feminine contralto.

"The government needs to get some goodwill back from the people, and shore up the government's credentials. Seems Vice President Spencer has really affected the administration's reputation, and he's looking to me as the 'antidote' for that."

"What do you mean, sis," Kat asked.

She shrugged. "Apparently, I have a reputation in the party for being the squeaky-clean politician, and was well known despite coming from such a small state as Wyoming." (She was, of course, referring to its population.)

"So," Max said, "despite being LGBTQ, the president decided to ask you to be vice president because of that?"

Effie nodded.

"I can't believe there weren't other takers in the party," Kat said. "Walsh is legendary for his not being cool towards the LGBTQ community."

"That's true," Jamie said, "but none of the other contenders have the same kind of reputation with the voters as Aunt Effie does. Polls show that Aunt Effie is by far the most trusted and most popular political figure around. I guess these things made the president change his mind."

"Who were the others in the running," Kat asked.

"Sorry, Kat, I can't..." Jamie shrugged.

"You and your political secrets," Kat said, and the two giggled at each other - apparently, it was a reference to a private joke between them.

"I did say to the president," Effie said, "that I didn't want to be a glorified trophy VP, and would only accept the position if I could have an active role in the government."

"What did he say?"

"It so happens that General Tomlin, the present Secretary for Veterans Affairs, submitted his letter of resignation last week, so the president will be calling for a cabinet meeting this afternoon to announce my nomination, and he'll see if he can get a consensus about me having a dual position of VP as well as the Secretary for Veterans Affairs."

"Wow..."

Max nodded at that. "Unusual but not unprecedented," she said. "And it's not as if you're not qualified for either or both positions."

"Thanks, Max."

As they enjoyed their adobo dishes with white rice, the four failed to notice the person at the table next to them - one of the city's most prolific gossip columnists.

As she sipped her tapioca drink, Mina Howard listened to the conversation at the table beside her. Seeing Jamie Summers bring her party to the table beside her, she couldn't believe her luck, and pricked up her ears.

She was hoping for some juicy White House gossip, but, seeing Freja Xander with her, she knew this would be epic. But what she got was something more! Apparently, Xander was being asked by the president to be the VP!

She tried to get more details but, apparently, Jamie spotted her, and the group changed to more innocuous topics of conversation.

Mina knew when the jig was up so she signaled for her bill, paid, and walked out of the restaurant.

When she was gone, Effie turned to Jamie. "Who was that?" Effie asked.

"That was Mina Howard," Jamie said. "She's a well-known gossip columnist."

"Oh-oh..."

"Do you think she heard us?" Max asked.

"I'm almost sure," Jamie answered. "Otherwise, why would she leave the restaurant so abruptly?"

"What can we do?" Kat asked.

Jamie shrugged. "Nothing, really. But it would have come out eventually, so I don't think we should worry about something we can't do anything about. Excuse me, please."

Jamie left the other three for a moment, and made a quick call, but in a few minutes, she was back.

"Who was that?" Kat asked.

"Oh, nothing," Jamie said. "Just confirming an hairdresser's appointment for next week."

"Really?" Kat giggled. "Maybe it's a date."

"No it's not a date," Jamie grumped, and playfully hit her best friend on top of her head.

Actually, she had called Tom Flaherty, to confirm Effie's appointment, and told him Mina Howard was about to break the story.

Tom said he'll take care of it, and hung up abruptly.

For Tom, Effie's news was actually good news. Even if Mina was the first to put out the news didn't worry him much. After all, a gossip writer wouldn't be paid too much attention since news like this would hardly be within Mina's wheelhouse, and would therefore not be given much credit.

But if Mina broke the news, that would pull the heat off him, and not implicate Jamie.

So his plan was simple - he would keep watching Mina's feeds and, after ten minutes or so after she posted her news, he'd put up his own piece.

His piece for his paper was ready to go - already pre-approved by his editor, and was just waiting for his go-ahead. He modified it, of course, so that it refered to Mina Howard as his source.

And as soon as Mina posted her little tweet, and posted a little blurb in her own website, Tom waited for about ten minutes and then he uploaded his article. He gave his editor the green light and his article was up in their news site and on-line magazine in less than ten seconds. He also knew that the same article would be included in the morning edition of the printed version of his paper.

- - - - -

Even as Effie, Jamie and the others finished their late lunch, the president called for an emergency meeting of the cabinet.

Luckily, most of the cabinet was free, and they were able to get everyone together in such a short time.

During the cabinet meeting an hour later, the president announced his selection of Attorney General Freja Martina Xander as his nominee for Vice President. The cabinet clapped in forced enthusiasm, and endorsed that nomination, except for Secretary of State Darrin Talbot, who sat stonily and unsmiling, and didn't clap with the rest.

The President also brought up the fact that Secretary Tomlin, the Secretary for Veterans Affairs, has tendered his resignation. Tomlin wasn't at the meeting, but he had sent word ahead that he was in support of Effie Xander's nomination as Vice President, and was also endorsing her to succeed him in his cabinet position.

"As you know," the President said, "General Tomlin is currently battling brain cancer, and he has tendered his resignation in order to concentrate on his health, and perhaps to get his affairs in order if ever he loses his battle with cancer.

"I'm sure all of us extends our good wishes to the General, and wish him well in his latest battle."

There were murmurs of agreement all around.

"The reason I bring this up is that I will also be nominating AG Xander as General Tomlin's successor, meaning, the Attorney General will have a dual role in the cabinet - that of the Vice President, and the Secretary for Veterans Affairs. Any thoughts?"

The silence was heavy, and no one dared to be the first to comment. But the President didn't mind waiting them out.

Eventually, the Secretary of Education, Helena Russell, cleared her throat.

"Well," she said, "we all serve at the pleasure of the President, sir, and, as such, we support you in this matter."

"Thank you, Helena," the President replied. "But surely, you have some thoughts? Speak freely, Doctor."

"Well... AG Xander is emminently qualified to be both the Secretary for Veterans Affairs as well as the Vice President. But I don't believe that there has been a vice president who was also concurrently serving in a cabinet secretary position in the history of the country..."

"But there is no rule or law that prohibits it..."

"That may be true, sir, but the Ineligibility Clause in the Constitution..."

"I am not familiar with that clause..."

"It's also called the emoluments clause or the cinesure clause, sir," Secretary Kinney interjected.

"Ahhh! I didn't know that. From Article One Section Six?"

"Yes, sir."

"Hmmm... But, Helena, that clause doesn't prohibit such an appointment. Mostly, it prohibits members of separate branches of government to be part of another."

"Yes, sir," Russell agreed. "However, it could be argued that such an appointment would be breaking the, ummm, spirit of the provision... sir."

Walsh frowned. "Sounds like a somewhat specious argument."

"I agree, sir," Secretary Kinney said, "but I see Helena's point. Concentration of reponsibilities, powers and perquisites is what she is talking about. And since such appointments will need to be confirmed by the Senate, it is likely that this will not be confirmed."

"I see."

The discussion continued but, after an hour, the president's legendary reputation for impatience reared its ugly head. The President summarily made the decision to not give AG Xander a concurrent cabinet position. Right there and then, he asked Ellen to give Secretary Tomlin a call, and to pipe the call into the conference room.

In a few minutes, The President's First Secretary ringed back.

"Secretary Tomlin is on line one, sir."

"Thank you, Ellen," Walsh said, and clicked the appropriate button.

"Good afternoon, General," Walsh said.

"Good afternoon, Mr. President," Tomlin said. "Good of you to call."

"I'm sorry to bother you - I know you are quite preoccupied at the moment..."

Tomlin laughed weakly. "Not at all, sir. I'm just here lying in bed and watching a tube of chemicals go into me. It's worse than watching paint dry."

Everyone laughed at his joke, although there was a bit of sadness in the laughter.

"Bill, you are such a card."

"Indeed, I am, sir," he said. Everyone imagined him smiling that patented wide smile that endeared him to the nation.

"I am calling to say that there has been a change of plans."

"Oh?"

"I'm actually here with the cabinet now, discussing what we talked of earlier today."

"Yes, sir?"

"I'm afraid they've convinced me that this is not the time to appoint AG Xander to Veterans Affairs."

Tomlin grew quiet.

"Sir," Tomlin said, "imagine a figure like Xander at the helm of Veterans Affairs. Imagine the kind of things she can do for our veterans. A bona fide national hero advocating for our fighting men and women. We need her at Veterans Affairs, sir."

"Sir, may I?" Russell said, and Walsh nodded.

She leaned closer to the phone. "Hey, Jimmy, it's Helena."

"Hey, Helena," Tomlin said. "What kind of nonsense are you filling the president's brain over there?"

Everyone laughed.

"Well, Jim..." and she explained the opinion of the majority in the cabinet, that, even with the best of intentions, no one in the senate would confirm the AG, and it would be detrimental to the chances of her being confirmed as the VP.

"But, Helena," Tomlin said, "we desperately need her at the VA! With her running things..."

"Jimmy, Jimmy! I know... but this is just not the way to do it. It won't work, my dear."

"But... but, Helena... we need her. Before I pass away, let me do this for my veterans... If I have a chance to leave any legacy, let it be this..."

Helena faced the phone, openly weeping.

"We'll find a way, Jim," she said, her voice breaking. "I promise you. On my soul, I promise you. Can I come by and discuss it later?"

Tomlin sighed. "If you want. Just come on over."

"Okay, Jim. Talk to you later then."

She sat back and quietly blew her nose.

"Thank you for your time, General," Walsh said. "See you in the cabinet soon."

"I am here to serve, sir," he said. "Good afternoon."

Walsh pushed the button and hung up.

- - - - -

Later in the day, Walsh received a visitor.

"Hello, Darrin," Walsh said. "What can I do for you?"

"Good afternoon, sir," Secretary Talbot said formally. His tone set alarm bells ringing in the President's head. He put down the folder he was reading and gestured for Talbot to sit.

Instead, Talbot stood in front of his desk, and held out a sealed envelope.

"What's this," the President said, accepting the envelope but not opening it.

"Mr. President," he said without preamble, "you know my loyalty to to you. I have done my best to support you and your policies, and I have pushed your agenda both here at home and abroad. But I find I will not be able to do this anymore. Therefore, sir, it is my great regret that I am forced to tender my resignation, effective immediately."

"Darrin, I can't believe you'd be doing this because -"

"Jack. You just hired a gay guy. How can you stand yourself?"

Walsh looked at him in the eye.

"Your resignation is accepted. Mr. Secretary," Walsh said coldly. He buzzed his secretary. Ellen came in after a moment.

"Yes, Mr. President," Ellen said.

"Please show Secretary Talbot out, Ellen. He has a lot to do."

"Of course, sir."

And with that, Talbot spun on his heel and walked out of the Oval.

Walsh opened the envelope in his hand and read the letter inside. Very plain. But, by the same token, it was very straight-to-the-point.

He'll have to find a way to break the news about Talbot... And then he'll need to let Xander know that he won't be appointing her as the concurrent VA Secretary.

He buzzed Ellen again.

"Yes, Mr. President," she said.

"Contact Jamie, and find out if she's still with the Attorney General. If she is, ask her to contact me immediately."

"Yes, sir."

In a couple of minutes, Jamie called back.

"Yes, Mr. President, it's Jamie."

"Jamie, I take it you're still with AG Xander and her party."

"Ahhh, yes, sir, I am."

"Oh, good. I have some news that I need you to tell her..."

- - - - -

They were presently in a limo going to the hotel Jamie booked them at, and she just hung up on the President.

"So," Kat said, "who was that?" Kat giggled.

"Aunt Effie," Jamie said, "that was the President. And He has some bad news."

And then she explained why the President called. After a minute or so, the three looked at each other.

"I'm afraid the president also gave me instructions to stay with you and wait for an answer..."

"So, Jamie," Max said, "the President is saying that he can't nominate Effie as a cabinet member, but he is hoping that she would still accept the nomination as vice president... Well, you know what we're gonna say to that -"

Effie gently took Max's hand.

"Jamie, we say 'yes.'"

"What! Effie, what're you say..."

"The President's right, Max. No matter what I say, and even if the President does nominate me, I won't get past the Senate selection committee. Getting me confirmed for the VP position is already a big ask..."

"What do you mean, Effie? You're a shoo-in! Medals up the kazoo, bona fide hero, near one hundred percent conviction rate, Nickelodeon awardee..."

"All that doesn't matter much, Max, in the face of my being transgender..."

"Well..."

"I told the President as much. He said he agreed but he had enough clout with the party that most of our party's senators will vote to confirm me, but the balance from the other party will have to be convinced with my testimony at the hearings."

"That means...?"

"That means I need to convince maybe ten or so senators from the other party to vote our way."

Kat shrugged. "Doesn't sound like such a big deal. You do it all the time."

"And, pray tell, where?" Effie smiled indulgently at her kid sister.

"Oh, I don't know?" Kat shrugged. "At the state senate? The state supreme and district courts? At the Governor's Office? With the Wyoming State Secretary? With channel two and twenty-seven? With your staff? With Max?"

Max laughed out loud. Even Pete, from the front, let out a loud snort.

"You got something to say, Pete?" Effie said mock-sternly.

"Me?" Pete said. "No! Ummm, I mean, nothing, Boss. Just a little sneeze..."

"Yeah, yeah - sure..."

"Kat's right, Effie," Max said. "You can run rings around these people with your hands tied behind your back."

Effie giggled. "I don't need hands to run, you know."

Everyone, even Jamie, laughed.

"My point is, Effie," Max said, "is that you can prepare for these hearings just like you prepare for a court case. It's not that difficult. Not for you."

"Another one of our specials, then, Max?"

Max smiled and shrugged. "Sure. Joey and the kid won't like it, though..."

"How about we do it at your house, then?"

Max nodded. "I think the kid would like that. He likes it when you visit."

"Excuse me," Jamie said, "what's a 'special?'"

"That's what sis calls one of their all-nighters, when she and Max cram for one of her Big Mining cases."

"'Big Mining?'"

Effie waved her down. "Later, Jamie. Max, contact the staff. Ask them to have everyone that can be spared to gather all the material that they can about all currently-serving senators."

"Fifty-one senators? that's a lot."

"No, Max - everyone. Even those from our party."

Max laughed. "Is that all?"

"Well, no. Get research to make a summary of all the relevant issues currently being discussed in Congress. Use social media. Prioritize the hot button stuff in the news."

"That's not going to be easy," she said.

"How's my schedule?"

"Unusually light."

Effie nodded. "Keep it that way. We're going to be doing this for a while." She turned to her sister. "Kat? How's your schedule."

"I only have two commissions pending," Kat replied. "After I finish them, I'm all yours."

"Good. In the meantime, though, we have the whole of tonight and Saturday to play tourist."

Kat clapped her hands. "Yayyy!"

"Ummm, Aunt Effie?"

"Yes, Jamie."

"I take it that you're saying yes to the nomination, then?"

Everyone laughed.

- - - - -

"Mr. President?" Ellen buzzed in.

"Yes, Ellen," the President replied.

"Jamie just called. She said that the Attorney General said yes. Whatever that meant..."

"Ahhh! Good news."

"Jamie says that she'll be on her way back as soon as she drops the AG and her party off at their hotel."

"Good. Have her go directly to the Oval, and have everyone come over as well. Except for Darrin."

"Yes, sir."

Walsh sighed and pushed away the papers in front of him. According to Sam, all of his appointments were done for the day, and he had seen all of the cabinet members and staff that had appointments with him. So he used that as his excuse to take a short break.

Going to the table by the door, he poured himself a large glass of bourbon and sat at his favorite recliner and grabbed a copy of the day's paper.

It was refreshing to be able to read the news himself rather than be briefed. But, after spending a few minutes scanning the front page, he jumped directly to the comic strips.

Of course, as soon as his people started streaming in, he quickly turned back to the front page.

"Hello, everyone," he said. "Sit, sit."

As everyone found their customary places, Jamie rushed in.

"Sorry I'm late, sir," she said, and sat in her usual place.

"Quite all right, Jamie. I trust the Attorney General is all right?"

"Quite fine, sir."

"Well, then. Since Jamie is here, I'd like to let everyone know that Attorney General Xander has accepted her nomination as our next Vice President."

This was greeted with polite clapping.

"I'd also like to let you know that Secretary of State Darrin Talbot filed his resignation this afternoon, and I accepted.

"In full disclosure, though the Secretary didn't explicitly say it, he resigned because of my nomination of the Attorney General. His loss is a great loss to the administration, but I am afraid Darrin put his own... preconcieved notions ahead of the welfare of the nation. I cannot have that. So I ask you all, that if you have the same preconceptions, that you let me know now. I will accept your resignation but I will make sure you will still have a place in my administration, and still continue on being an asset to the government and myself."

This was greeted with silence.

"My friends," Walsh said, "there will be no blame to you. Whatever your views on the matter, my nomination of Miss Xander was a hard pill for me to swallow, myself. But she is needed by the Republic. It is a time for us to put our points of view aside, for the good of the countrry.

"I will keep this option available until the end of the day. But starting tomorrow, we must all work together. 'All for one, and one for all,' ladies and gentlemen."

He clapped once and stood. "All right, to work. Jamie, I want you to prepare an announcement of Darrin's resignation and my nomination of the Attorney General for dissemination to all outlets tomorrow morning, and then to be prepared to answer queries at the usual press meeting on Monday.

"Under no circumstances will you tell anyone the reason for Darrin's resignation. Find a plausible reason. I would suggest you tell them that he has been given a better civilian position, which is true - there is a position at the War College that he has been turning down for a while. I'm sure Darrin's going to be taking them up on it."

"Mr. President, that may not be enough," Jamie said.

"Tell them that Darrin and I have come to several fundamental differences in policy that are irreconcileable. It has the virtue of being true, even if not too specific."

"Yes, sir."

"Sam," Walsh turned to his Chief of Staff, let the senate know that I am nominating the AG. Do the appropriate things, and phrase the announcement in the appropriate way."

Sam sighed. "This hasn't been done in over sixty years. I'll research it, and get it done before the end of the day."

"Good deal. Helena."

"Yes, Mr. President?" Secretary Russell replied.

Find a way to make what the General wants happen. If VP-to-be Xander can't concurrently be the Secretary for Veterans Affairs, you and the General see if it's possible to create a new presidential council or something that will allow Ms Xander to do what the General thinks she needs to do. I want a recommendation on my desk before Ms Xander is called in by the Senate for her appointment hearings."

"Yes, Mr. President."

"Good. Now, what's next?"

to be continued...

 

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An honourable reporter,

Monique S's picture

I thought they died out in the 70s with the ends of Panorama and Monitor, when public TV (State approved) was given competition by cable TV. "Newspapers" on the other hand always seemed to be biased,especially the more primitive national tabloids like for example 'Bild' in Germany or it's equivalents in the UK (mirror/sun).

Let's hope your proposed revival actually takes place.
Wonderful Story.

Monique.

Monique S

VP offer

now the fun part - getting her nomination through the senate

DogSig.png

Tums may be needed

Jamie Lee's picture

Don't think Walsh is going to be real happy with his new VP when the VP tells him no when Walsh tries to pull one of his fast ones.

He's going to find out Ms. Xander is not a yes person when it comes to obeying or following the law. She will refuse to go along with anything she deams illegal or haa a tinge of illegality to it.

Others have feelings too.