Pen Pals : 10

Printer-friendly version

Pen Pals
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
of the Pen Pal Continuum


Well. That went pretty good. Sort of. We have a really, ah, random mix of folks here. It's nice to meet you all and I hope we can get along -- who knows, we may end up being friends for decades because of this assignment.

Do you all think it's possible to be good friends with someone you only know on the internet? I think the jury is still out. I've never experienced it myself, but I have friends who swear that some of their best friends are strangers.

That's just a bit creepy, for my tastes.

Names seemed to be a running theme for the first intros... so let me ask the lot of you: Do you think my name (the actual one, Melisande Agatha Decker-Williston, not my nickname) is too pretentious-sounding? I don't think it is, but it kind of makes folks seem to think that I'm... standoffish. Melisande was my mother's favorite aunt's name, and Agatha was my father's grandmother's name. Decker is my mother's maiden name, and Williston is my father's name. The hyphenation wasn't my idea, by the way. My mother is totally one of those "society" ladies. Always going on about how wonderful her debut was and how great it was to be a debutante. Fat cow.

So, what kind of things do we really want to discuss here, folks?

We really have a sanctioned email list with no restrictions, other than that we all participate. No filters, no censors, we get to say what we really think of things to people we're really never going to get to meet. Or have to meet, depending on your point of view.

Well, for now... I'll just talk about what comes to mind. How about how I came to be called Stormy? You might think it was some kind of commentary on my teenage years or something, and while I was certainly more unpredictable than my contemporaries, the name came to be in much more... embarrassing a manner.

I decided one day when I was 16 that I didn't NEED any help to handle the school's sailboat by myself, despite the weather report warning of "rough" before the day was through. I was never really in any danger because it wasn't a GALE or anything, and my father had a chase-craft following me without me knowing in case something went wrong (which it did). But there wasn't a soul in the girls' dorm that wasn't calling me Stormy by lights out that night and in the entire Academy by the next night. So, while it was earned in embarrassment, it could have been much worse, and I adopted the name as sort of a badge that I'd accomplished my teenage idiocy and could put it behind me.

Today's Standard Disclaimer: Don't make me angry... you wouldn't LIKE me when I'm angry...

Stormy

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ICR : from George

laika's picture

Hello again Stormy:
You were wondering about people becoming good frineds on the internet.
I can't say I ever heard of it, but in this movie my wife Lupe and I saw on her THE CULTURE CHANNEL there were these two writers who wrote long letters to each other. It started out as just a fan letter, neither of them realizing they would be friends for life, who finally only met when the older one was pretty close to dying. I forget their names but they were famous, and their correspondences actually got printed as a book. From all the work they must have put into all these 10-20 page letters they must have got something out of it, and been good friends. I mean not that they were "gay" or anything.

So I think with the advantages of there being no time lag while some ship carries your letter around some cape, and with being able to compose your words on WORD or some program, I would say it's even more possible. And I have a neighbor who is one of these refurbished alchoholics, and he says he loves that he can go to one of his "meetings" on line 24 hours a day, when it was a long wait before and sometimes he got crazy from the temptation. He's a nice fellow but it is about all he seems to talk about. Anyway in just a few months I've become quite sold on this computer stuff for a number of reasons. And speaking of talking to much,
I'd better stop here.

George

ICR: from Ginanna


Stormy,

Making friends on the internet is possible. There are horror stories of predators online but much of that is urban legend, you know? Use some common sense before ever meeting one in person but that goes for blind dates, study sessions with new classmates, whatever.

I LOVE how you got your nickname and I see why you like it.

BUT

I quote:
>>
Today's Standard Disclaimer: Don't make me angry... you wouldn't LIKE me when I'm angry...
>>


You’re a fan of the old Incredible Hulk TV series from the 1970s? WOW! You are such a geek, girl … like me! Yeah, somebody here understands me, a little anyway.

Better go, I have some high explosives cooking in the lab and …

-- KA BOOM! --

Never mind.

Ginanna Sachs

John in Wauwatosa