Forever the Dragon Princess -chp 5

Printer-friendly version


Forever the Dragon Princess

The year is 2024. And one of the greatest archaeology finds of all time is on display at the Smithsonian. No one ever expected to find something buried deep within the caves below Mount Fuji, Japan. Especially not a seven foot tall, fifteen foot wide, two foot thick, one-thousand pound, hand carved red lacquered, ebony wood, bejeweled sculpture of the dragon Toyotama-hime that is over 2000 years old. For 16yr old Tony Watanabe this statue held more than just your normal fascination. It held his destiny.

Chapter 5
Divining the path of water or how did I get all wet

Chiyoko was the first one up in the morning. At least that is what she thought. As she walked towards the restroom, she was greeted by Satoko and Satomi coming out of the bathing room. In unison they cheerfully chirped. “Good morning Mistress. Did you sleep well?”

“Okay, Professors we need to figure out this whole Mistress kohai thing.” Chiyoko grumbled. “Which is it?”

“When we are acting as your teachers, you’re our kohai. The rest of the time. Like when we’re serving to your daily needs and care, you’re the Mistress.” Satoko calmly answered as she and Satomi bowed slightly. “Now, you and the other girls have a class this morning kohai. Please make sure they are on time for breakfast. We have a lot to go over.”

“Like what, sempai?” Chiyoko asked afraid of the answer.

“For starters. How are you going to actively search for the other two Dragon Samurai. Then there is the passages concerning the Dragon Princess.” Satomi answered with a sly smile.

“WHAT Dragon Princess?” Chiyoko demanded.

“Go to the restroom and gather the others, kohai. All will be explained over your breakfast and during your first lesson in magic.” Satomi told her as she gave Chiyoko a gentle push towards the restroom. Chiyoko just growled and headed off to take care of her business.

She was joined by Akane and Kasumi shortly after she finished. Deciding to wait on the others Chiyoko stepped next door to washed her hands and face. It didn’t take the three teenagers long to get their act together enough to finally face the morning and their new teachers. Akane and Kasumi weren’t happy when they found out that Satomi and Satoko actually had plans for class this morning. They, along with Chiyoko believed they had left school behind them when they became Dragon Samurai.

Over breakfast Satomi laid out their lesson plans. Only Chiyoko had anything different from the other two. While their class would concentrate on alchemy, Chiyoko’s lessons would concentrate on magic and the laws that govern it. An hour later found Akane and Kasumi in the middle of the practice yard under the watchful eye of Satomi. While Chiyoko was surrendered to the tender mercies of Satoko in the front living room.

“We now know that magic is the purview of the poet and actor, kohai. Tell me what you were able to learn from your personal studies last night.” Satoko asked Chiyoko as she kneeled down in front of the katotsu.

“Well, for starters there six schools of magic. The first is Divine magics of protection, blocking, healing, summoning and banishing. Divination follows next. These spells are used to reveal information. And according to my book some of the hardest to use. Then there is the Void. Better known as the spells of mages, and Witches. These are mostly used for offensive and defensive attacks. These spells actually manipulate the magical energy of the world around us and take from all six schools. Making it the most versatile of magical schools. Illusion spells can be used as either offensive or defensive. They are great for altering perception or create false images or just to screw with someone’s head. The last school of magic is Druidic. They deal with all nature based magic.” Chiyoko sat back with a satisfied grin on her face being able to answer Satoko’s pop question on magic. “However, Witches can draw from all the schools of magic. Making them the most powerful of all magic users.”

“You only listed five schools of magic, kohai. Why did you not list the last school?” Satomi asked straight faced. “What is it that bothers you so much about that last school?”

“The last school is Necromancy. That school’s spells actually manipulate life or life force. Necromancers too often deal with the dead and undead creatures. Their very magic draws on the most evil of forces.” Chiyoko shivered as she remembered what she had read last night. “Necromancy is also the darkest of magics. Because it does not obey the Laws of Nature. Necromancy eats away the life force of its user. A little more with each spell that they use. The more powerful the spell the more life force Necromancy takes. By the time a Necromancer becomes truly powerful they are nothing more than a living corpse.”

“Very good, kohai. Before you ask, yes, I knew the five schools of magic. Only in our world they were things of legends and myth. Parts of ancient societies that I had studied over the years. Those six schools of magic were very prominent among the legends of the European Countries.” Satoko told Chiyoko with a small smile.

“What about the Far Eastern Countries? What about their magics?” Chiyoko held up the book that Ryōjin had given her the night before. “None of those magics are even talked about in here.”

“I have a theory about that and why the European magics and alchemy have such a strong influence in this part of the world.” Satoko sighed. “Now, this is only a theory so please bear with me. Remember how it was the Elizabethans and not the Victorians that came to power?”

“Sure, it was one of the first things I spotted when comes to this world and our old one. Only I thought it was the Victorians. Why?”

“I believe that during the time of the silk road traders several mages made the journey east with those early caravans. Over time the many facets of magic consolidated into just those six schools. As for when this happened your guess is good as any.” Satoko told Chiyoko sadly. “Also, I believe that the ‘silk road’ trading started sometime around seven-thirty BC. Shortly after the founding of this world’s ancient Rome.”

“Wait a minute here, Doc. Are you saying that the ancient Remans were already trading with China BEFORE the birth of Christ?” Chiyoko asked in total astonishment. “How the hell could that have happened?”

“This is where I believe our two worlds first diverged. When Remus won over Romulus, he set in motion a chain of events that have had far reaching consequences. The first of which is the type of citizen that ancient Rem developed. Instead of a society based on war and conquest through military might they became diplomates, statesmen, and merchants.” As Satoko explained what she had figured out Chiyoko saw the implications for this world.

“Holy Shit! An economic powerhouse with solid relations to the spice capitals of the ancient world. And with the backing of the most powerful military of the times. They did what the British tried to do in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. They really did rule the known world.” Chiyoko blurted. “What I want to know is how did you figure all this out?”

“As I told you last night, kohai. The way of the teacher is the way of the student. Before one can teach, they must first be a student.” Satoko gave her student a sly smile. “Just as you had homework last night, I had my own.”

“Okay Doc, I get the hint.” Chiyoko chuckled. “I’ll quit bitching about having homework or furthering my studies.”

“GOOD!” Satoko chuckled. “Now, you have shown that magic comes to you as if it is second nature. No, let me correct that. You have shown a basic affinity for all the schools of magic. Because of this, I believe that you are more Witch than mage, cleric, or druid.”

“You’re saying that I’m not a master of any one school, but a jack of trades in all schools?” Satoko nodded her head at Chiyoko’s question. “That kind of makes sense. When I looked through the spells in my book. I found that there were spells from all six schools. Plus a few that blended two or more schools. I could tell that the blended ones were extremely powerful and were ones of last resort. They even came with a warning concerning their use.”

“That supports my theory concerning you and your new sisters.” At Chiyoko’s questioning eyes Satoko sighed. “Each of you is tied to one of the five great classical elements. Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, and the Void. With that comes a certain affinity to those elements and their manipulation.”

“For Akane, Kasumi, and the others we have yet to find. That manipulation comes through the use of alchemy. But because the Void is more ethereal and less definable the only way to manipulate it is through magic.” Chiyoko said as she understood where Satoko was coming from.

“Exactly. Now I want to test this theory through a little experiment. We know that there are two more samurai yet to be found. This is a map of Sebun'airando. What we would know as Japan in our home world.” Satoko rolled out a map on the kotatsu. After tacking down the edges she handed Chiyoko a gold chain with a blood red crystal at one end. Satoko explained as she next set a cup of plain water next to the map. “Now, hopefully I haven’t missed anything you will need for this Divination.”

Understanding what Satoko wanted Chiyoko pulled out her book. “Give me a second. I need to see if there is a readymade spell for this. No offence Doc, but I really don’t want to wing, this one.”

“There should be one under your Divination spells for Water.” Satoko said with a smile as she watch Chiyoko read through the Divination spells for water. “I know that sounds a bit vague, but I believe that we should be able to find the Dragon Samurai of Water this way.”

“Damn. None of these will work. Before you ask the answer is simple. I have spells for finding water, purifying water, making water out of nothing, even one for drawing water from rocks. But nothing for finding a person with an affinity for the Element of Water.” Chiyoko bitched. “Suggestions?”

“Well, there is always Iron Maiden.” At Chiyoko’s blank stare Satoko sighed. “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, kohai.”

“Oh, I get it now.” Chiyoko wanted to facepalm just then at missing the musical reference. Then again Iron Maiden was old peoples’ music. Clearing her throat Chiyoko began to chant.


“I hear the rime of the ancient mariner
I see his eyes as he cries for his brethren
I stay and listen to the nightmares of the sea
How he was driven to the great lands of the snow and ice
To a place where nobody's been
Through the snow and fog we shall fly to our sister’s side
Hailed in the Dragon Goddess's name, hoping good luck it brings
As our ship sails on, until we find. Our lost Dragon sister.”

Chiyoko knew that she had changed a good number of the verses and left more than a few out. But the spell felt right to her. For some reason she couldn’t understand she knew that a direct quote wouldn’t produce her desired results. Slowly at first the crystal began to move on its own. At first it was only in a meandering circle. With each swing the crystal began to slowly flash brighter and brighter when the crystal was near the north end of the map.

Moving the crystal towards the north end of the map the crystal’s circle tightened ever so smaller with each passing inch. Once the crystal was over the northern edge of the islands it began to swing side to side. The flashing continued but this time it was towards the east. Again, moving the crystal towards the east Chiyoko noticed that it would swing less and less. Until the crystal hung over a small seaside town in the Okhotsk Subprefecture of Hokkaido Prefecture. Slowly lowering the crystal towards the map Chiyoko noticed that it was no longer flashing but steadily glowing. The closer she held the crystal to the map, the brighter it glowed.

“Looks, like you girls will be taking one the airships north, kohai.” Satoko smirked. “It also seems that you can take any verse and modify for your use.”

“I know this is going to sound crazy, but when I started to use the original lyrics of the song it just felt wrong. As I remembered each line, I could tell that it would only get me to the general area at best. Most likely though I would only have found the Prefecture. Nothing more.” Chiyoko answered her honestly then shrugged her shoulders. “I can’t give you more of an explanation than that really.”

Satoko nodded her head. “It’s as I thought. You, and the other Dragon Samurai come by your powers by more than just a natural affinity.”

“Then how do we come by our powers?” Chiyoko asked.

“The Prophecy and Curse of Toyotama. The ones that had originally transformed you and us.” Satoko told Chiyoko with a sad smile.

“What Prophecy?” Chiyoko almost snapped.

“Satomi found it late last night after we had retired to our room. It is in the second chapter of Watatsumi’s teachings.” Satoko got a faraway look in her eyes as she recited the Prophecy. “On the wings of Dragons, guided and protected by the Doragonsamurai the Dragon Princess shall return. She shall end the Great War. She shall bring peace out of war and chaos.”

“Doc I know this is going to sound crazy. But that part about ending a Great War. You don’t think it talks about a World War, do you?” Chiyoko wondered.

“Sadly, the answer is yes, Chiyoko. The social and economic pressures that led to our First World War are now present in this world.” Satoko answered bluntly before continuing. “Only the boiling point is not in Central Europe. But here in this world’s Japan.”

“The Five Dragon Kings. They’re the tipping point.” Chiyoko concluded.

“I believe that you’re right. We still have a good deal of investigation to do into the situation before making any decisions.” Satoko countered. “Sadly, I fear that our time is running short and we have no clue as where to start.”

“I know where I would start looking if we were still in our old world.” Chiyoko smirked. “I would start with every Congressman and Senator on Capitol Hill. Then go after the Fortune Five Country Clubbers.”

Satoko chuckled at Chiyoko’s attitude towards those in power of the old world. “I agree with you. Sadly, we don’t know enough about this world’s political structure to even look at them first.”

“Trust me I know what you’re saying. I’ve already dealt with the local Shogun, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.” Chiyoko grumbled.

“Could he have been one of the Dragon Kings?”

“Either Akane or I would have sensed something if he was. No, the man is just a power hungry General with more ambition than commonsense.” Chiyoko turned thoughtful. “I highly doubt that any of the Dragon Kings will be among the Samurai class. Honor and Duty are too ingrained with that class for a Dragon King to rise from it.”

“Then we need to focus our investigation among the Industrialist.” Satoko said as she nodded her head. “Yes, that is where the Dragon Kings will rise.”

“How do you figure that, sempai?” Chiyoko wondered.

“In this world this country is a cross between our Victorian period of Europe and the Edo/Magi periods of Japan. The time of the Industrial Revolutions. The real power doesn’t reside with the Military or Politicians but the Captains of Industry and the Banks.” Satoko surmised. “It makes sense. Control the food, oil, railroads, money, everything that life revolves around. You control the people. Control the people you control the Military. Control the Military you control the country.”

“Damn Doc. That’s harsh. True, but still harsh.” Chiyoko took a deep breath. “What do you suggest?”

“For now, concentrate on gathering your sister samurai. Starting with taking a trip to Okhotsk Subprefecture.” Satoko stood up and turned towards the door. “I’ll make the travel arrangements. I suggest that you go get ready.”

“How do you suggest I do that?!” Chiyoko yelled at Satoko’s disappearing back. “Damn! I wish just once I could get a straight answer out of her and Satomi. Instead of theories and more questions.”

With no answer coming from her teachers Chiyoko headed for her room. Thinking about what she would need for the journey Chiyoko quickly disrobed. “I hope this works. Because if it doesn’t, I better get used to walking around in the buff. At least until I clear the outer wall.”

Wrapping the sash that held her swords around her waist Chiyoko began to think about her armor. As she tied the sash her armor suddenly began to appear. Starting at her feet the black and red skintight armor she had worn the day before rushed up her legs. Within seconds Chiyoko was once again clad in the armor of the Kyamo no Sa. Only her mask had yet to return. This oversight was corrected as she settled her Sourusureiyāzu at her left hip.

“Okay this makes no sense. Why would it appear now?” Chiyoko asked of nobody.

“Because I allowed it, Kyamo no Sa.” The voice was deep and rumbled with the weight of countless centuries. It also had a slightly reptilian feel to it.

Chiyoko turned slowly to face the voice. Afraid of what she would be facing. When she finally saw who the voice belonged to her mind went into overload with questions. The first of which was ‘HOW in the Hell did all that Dragon fit into this small of a room?’

“Greetings, my Lord Watatsumi.” Chiyoko bowed to the Dragon that was floating just off the floor and taking up a good portion of her room.

“Magic.” The Dragon God said with more than a little mirth.

“Umm… wha…” Chiyoko’s mind locked up at the Dragon’s one word reply.

“The answer to your question youngling. I use magic to fit in your room.” Watatsumi chuckled. “I take it that my brother, sister-in-law, and their children have only appeared before you in their human forms.”

Chiyoko blinked her eyes, shook her head twice, then blinked her eyes again before her brain finally caught up to what the dragon was saying. “Oh yes sire. I have to admit that I never expected to… well… to be talking face to face with a dragon. I hope you understand?”

“Of course, youngling. Would you care to examine me a little closer? I do not mind.” There was a hint of smugness in the dragon’s voice.

“Yes, I would and thank you, sire.” As Chiyoko walked along the Dragon’s body she took in everything. The first thing she noticed was the color of his scales. The scales were a deep rich metallic black almost an onyx. There were small flashes of silver mixed in here and there. The dragon’s claws were longer than she was tall, and sharper than her Sourusureiyāzu. As she rounded the front leg Chiyoko stumbled. Watatsumi hadn’t made himself smaller, he had made the room larger. Large enough to hold all of his massive body to include his tail. Staggering back Chiyoko took in the size of the dragon’s head. Mostly his mouth and the teeth it held. Though there was one thing that pulled her attention away from the dragon’s maw. His sheer beauty.

“Please don’t take this the wrong way, sire.” Chiyoko swallowed hard and had to squeeze her thighs together tight. For the first time in her life, Chiyoko was thinking of having sex with a mythical beast. “But you’re too beautiful for words to describe.”

The chuckle that escaped from deep in Watatsumi’s chest sounded more like the rumble of thunder. It was enough to chill Chiyoko’s rising ardor. There was something about having sex with a mythical creature that could level mountains with a wave of the hand that would anyone’s sex drive. Then again why was she still thinking about having this guy’s child.

“You’re not the first mortal to give me such a complement. Though you’re the first to actually have a fantasy of bedding me in my company. I must admit that I find it rather refreshing and intriguing.” Watatsumi told her smugly. “Though I think that in my current form it would be harmful to your health. No, I think we’ll revise this topic some other time.”

The dragon waved his front right claw, and all thoughts of a sexual nature vanished from Chiyoko’s mind. Taking a deep and cleansing breath Chiyoko was able to focus on the here and now. “Thank you, sire. I do have one question.”

“Why have I allowed your armor to appear now?” Watatsumi asked with a sly smile that curled his lips upward. “If you think I’m going to put up with my nieces and nephews bitching me out. Just because you walked out of the compound naked as the day you were born. You really are braver and just a little bit crazier than what Ryōjin told me.”

Chiyoko cocked one eye brow at the beast before her. “Oh really? Want to pull the other leg now, sire?”

“Oh, very well ruin my fun.” The Dragon chuckled. “You and your sisters shall always walk bare before your patron Gods when you enter these walls. That is the bargain I struck with all of my nieces and nephews. I provide a place for the Dragon Samurai to live, and train. In return they relinquish their hold over the samurai within this compound.”

“I think I understand now. We are getting ready to leave the compound. Therefore, our patrons are allowed to exercise their control over us again.” Chiyoko grinned at figuring out part of the magic that surrounded and filled their compound. Touching her Sourusureiyāzu drew Watatsumi’s attention to the two blades at her hip.

“Ah yes, I have not seen those Sourusureiyāzu in more than ten centuries. I can tell they still hold my curse. It is good to see that its power has not faded. Though that power has grown for some reason.” Watatsumi reached out with one talon to touch the katana. “AH! My brother has placed his blessing upon them. Fascinating. The blessing and curse have become intertwined.”

“I know this is going to sound ungrateful. But, is there any danger from those magics becoming intertwined like that?” Chiyoko was now afraid of using her Sourusureiyāzu. Mainly because of the power they held.

“You’re in no danger, youngling. At least not from these Sourusureiyāzu. Your enemies on the other hand will regret facing you in the field of honor.” Watatsumi chuckled again. “Before, they only had to worry about dying. Now they shall beg for Death to take them.”

“Okay that doesn’t sound ominous at all.” Chiyoko snarked. “May I know why you and the other Dragon Gods are showing yourselves now?”

“Has it been that long since we last walked among humans? Only a millennium or so.” The Dragon chuckled as Chiyoko’s eyes bugged out at what he thought of a short time frame. “Then again a thousand years is but a drop in the bucket of time to immortals. You and your sisters will understand with the passage of time. After all. You’re all cursed with immortality to a point.”

Before Chiyoko could ask Watatsumi what he meant the Dragon faded away into nothing and the room returned to normal. Chiyoko sighed and looked around her room. “Well, that was informative. NOT.”

As Chiyoko walked out the door to her room she noticed Akane and Kasumi were leaving their rooms as well. Chiyoko stopped dead in her tracks. They should have already been over at the gates waiting for her. Looking back into her room Chiyoko had a funny thought but quickly dismissed it. At least at first.

“Um… Shouldn’t you already be at the gate sister?” Asked a very puzzled Akane.

“I could say the same thing for you two.” Chiyoko countered.

“Um… well… well… I had a visitor in my room.” Akane confessed.

“You too? Were you visited by the Dragon God King Watatsumi too?” Kasumi leaped to a conclusion. One that Chiyoko hoped the others had faced.

“You saw him as well?” Akane asked Kasumi as she nodded her head yes. Both teens turned to look at Chiyoko.

“If he visited the two of you at the same time, he was visiting me. How did he pull it off? I mean he can’t be in two places at once.” Kasumi stated uncertainty. “Can he?”

“Of course, He can. He is the God of Magic! He used Temporal Magic!” Chiyoko said by way of explanation then chuckled. “He just stopped time for each of our visits. I’ll bet that we haven’t even lost one minute in real time.”

Akane and Kasumi just groaned while Akane bitched. “Chiyoko, you’re talking Magic again! We understand science! Not that crazy shit you do.”

“What do you mean by crazy shit? Magic is not crazy.” Chiyoko countered as the three girls walked fully clothed in their armor towards the rear gate.

“Oh yes, it is Chiyoko. Magic breaks all the laws of science. Nothing you do with your magic obeys the three fundamental truths of equivocal exchange.” Kasumi countered. “There is no Comprehension, Deconstruction, Reconstruction when you perform magic. You quite literally get something for nothing.”

“Not true, Kasumi. There is an exchange. Just not one that you can normally see.” At the blank looks of her two sister samurai Chiyoko sighed. “With magic the exchange is one of power for result. And I’m the one who surrenders that power in the first place.”

“So, the bigger the spell, the greater the draw is on your power.” Akane said with real understanding. “Unlike us the exchange is with material components and knowledge. That’s Comprehension. We need to understand the inherent structure and properties that makeup a particular material to be transmuted, including the flow and balance of potential and kinetic energy.”

“So that’s how she works her magic. She doesn’t bypass the Law of Equivalent Exchange; she just substitutes her own power for the compensation.” Kasumi pointed out with a smile. “It all makes sense now.”

“Well, I’m glad you understand it. Because to me it’s all the same.” Chiyoko grunted then smiled. “Come on, we’ve got a sister to find in Okhotsk.”

“That is going to be one long train ride. At lest two days. Not to mention the ferry boat crossing.” Akane bitched.

“You shall not be traveling by train or ferry boat, Mistress Akane.” Satomi told them as they approached the rear gate. “Do you have you’re temple signet rings with you?” All three teenagers held up their right hands. “Very good. Just show those at the aerodrome. Satoko has secured your passage aboard the airship Grand Illusion. You leave in two hours. According to the schedule you should arrive in Abashiri four hours later.”

“Thankyou, Satomi. What’s with the map case?” Chiyoko asked as she pointed to the tube in the miko’s hands.

“This is a more detailed map of the Okhotsk subprefecture. It holds all of the smaller towns and villages. You should be able to work a more definitive Divination once you’re closer to the Samurai of Water.” Satomi explained as she handed Chiyoko the map case.

“Thank you, again Satomi.” Chiyoko said as she bowed. Turning to Akane and Kasumi. “Time to get moving ladies.”

As the three Dragon Samurai exited the compound the gate vanished from sight. They couldn’t even see the seams of the door frame. It was as if they were looking at a solid wall. Kasumi and Akane stared in amazement.

“Well that explains why this part of the temple complex hasn’t ever had a break in.” Chiyoko chuckled. “Crooks can’t find the door.”

Turning around Chiyoko waved her hand at a passing hansom cab. “YO! DRIVER!”

As the massive stream powered vehicle rolled to a stop next to the curb the driver tipped his hat. “Afternoon, ladies. Sorry but you’ll have to remove the swords if you want a ride. No armed samurai in me cab.”

Chiyoko held up her right hand showing the signet ring. The driver did a double take at seeing the ring. “Sorry about that Mistress. I didn’t realize that you are members of the Temple.”

“No need to apologize Sir. We understand the confusion.” Chiyoko lied. “We do need a ride though. How much to take us to the aerodrome?”

“Standard fare for three. Twelve serpents.” The driver stated bluntly.

“Six wyvern.” Kasumi answered back. Chiyoko could tell that her sister was going to haggle down the price and kept her mouth shut.

“No deal. Eight serpents, Mistress. No less.” Came the driver’s counter.

“Fine, two serpents and drop-off at the VIP counter.” Kasumi offered.

“Six, and I drop you off at the business counter.” The driver wasn’t done yet. He knew the game and had played it for years.

“Done.” Kasumi said with a smile. “You just have to drop us off at the regular terminal, sir.”

“No, Mistress. A deal is a deal. You bargained fair and square.” The driver chuckled. “And rather well, at that. Who taught you the art of haggling?”

“My mamma, sir.” Kasumi told him with a smile as she climbed into the passenger compartment. “Though she would have said I gave in too soon.”

The driver just laughed and help the girls into his cab. A half hour later the teens were working their way through the security check point. All three were surprised that the security personnel waved them through once they had shown their signet rings. Not even the airship’s attendants batted an eye at their continued brandishing of their swords. Unlike Akane and Kasumi, Chiyoko was amazed that airships or zeppelins were being used for mass air transit. When she asked where the airplanes were. Akane and Kasumi gave her strange looks and asked what she meant.

For the next hour Chiyoko talked about how airplanes were the main form of air transportation in her home world. It took Chiyoko describing an airplane before Akane and Kasumi understood what she was talking about. Kasumi smiled.

“You’re talking about Sky Wings.” Kasumi exclaimed. “I don’t know how it is on your home world. But here only the military have or use those. They’re considered weapons of war.”

For the rest of the flight Kasumi and Akane explained how it came about that the two deferent types of flight were developed. Airships or lighter than air craft were developed by civilians over the last hundred years. While it was the militaries of the world that pursued winged flight solely for the purpose of warfare. With the United States of Liberion leading the way in aerial warfare and combat tactics.

Chiyoko’s attention was once more drawn to their transportation when the massive airship landed. She was amazed at the way the ‘sky hook’ latched onto the nose of the ship and pulled it down to rest in a cradle. As the three girls were descending the boarding ramp Chiyoko couldn’t help but marvel at the efficiency of the operation. In Temple City there were only four of the massive airships, but here there was at least three times that number. She wondered what it would be like in some place like Tokyo.

“Come on Chiyoko! We don’t want the Wardens jumping all over our asses for dragging our feet.” Akane yelled over the noise.

Chiyoko took the warning for what is was, even though she didn’t know who the Wardens were. Once inside the aerodrome terminal Kasumi led her two sisters over to the cafeteria. There the three girls took a table that was out of the way. Chiyoko quickly pulled out her map and crystal. After reciting the Divination spell, she had used earlier the crystal started its dance once more. Within seconds the girls had a more exacting location for the next Dragon Samurai. The fishing village was about fifty miles away.

“Chiyoko, are we close enough now for you to use your teleportation spell?” Akane wondered outload.

“I can get us to the beach area, but that’s it. Sorry, but that is as close as I can get us.” Chiyoko was looking at where the crystal rested on the map. “If I didn’t know better. I would swear the girl is just off the beach.”

“Are you saying that she’s in the water?” Kasumi said as she cocked her head.

“That’s the way it looks.” Then Chiyoko snapped her fingers. “This is a fishing village. She’s in a boat, fishing!”

Looking down at the name of the village Chiyoko became confused. “Is that really the name for the village?”

Both Kasumi and Akane chuckled as they nodded their heads yes. “Okay, I’ll take your word for it. But if anyone asks where we’ve been. You’re answering.”

After securing the map the three girls headed out front. Chiyoko pictured their destination in her mind and began to chant. “Spirits of Time and Space! I call upon thee! Throw wide your portals! Relocate!

Once again when she finished Chiyoko threw her arms wide. Like before there was a rush of swirling wind, a crash of thunder, a flash of lightning. The next thing Akane and Kasumi knew they were standing on a beach in front of sign welcoming them to the target village. Chiyoko sighed. “I still can’t believe we’ve actually came to this place.”

“You have a problem with what we call our town, stranger?” A voice snarled. The three teenagers turned to find woman in her late fifties standing behind them. She was dressed in sandals, knee length dungarees, and a flannel shirt with a straw wide brimmed sun hat.

“Nope!” Chiyoko answered cheerfully. “It’s just the sexual connotations tickle my funny bone is all.”

“I don’t know what that means, but welcome to Bondēji no josei anyway.” The woman said with a bright smile. “Can I direct you ladies to the Guesthouse?”

“No thank you, ma’am.” Akane answered with her own smile. “Hopefully, we won’t be here for long.”

“Oh, care to explain why you’re in our little village?” The woman turned suspicious. “Better yet, explain what three Ronin would want with the people of my fishing village?”

“Um… Did you say your fishing village, ma’am?” Kasumi with a little trepidation. “You’re the Headwoman, aren’t you?”

“Headwoman Sasagawa, at your service. I’m also the owner for one of the local fishing fleets.” The woman stated proudly.

All three girls bowed from the waist while Chiyoko greeted the woman properly. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Headwoman Sasagawa.”

Sasagawa returned the bow then crossed her arms. “Now just who are you?”

“Chiyoko Hakuryū, Akane Kita, and Kasumi Nishimura, Doragonsamurai for the Temple of Dragons.” Chiyoko answered honestly as she bowed once more.

Sasagawa snorted dismissively at Chiyoko’s proclamation. “And I’m the Dragon King Ryōjin. Try again Ronin or I’ll stick the town watchmen on you.”

“Why is it that nobody believes me when I tell them that?” Chiyoko grumbled. “Akane, you want to do the honors this time?”

Akane just giggled clapped her hands and slapped the sand. There was a flash of blue white light before a twenty foot tall statue of Sasagawa made of granite rose up out of the beach. Wiping the sand from her hands Akane asked. “Will that do, Chiyoko?”

“Nice trick that, young lady. But it still doesn’t prove you three are the Doragonsamurai.” Sasagawa snorted. “Our village alchemist can do something along those same lines.”

Kasumi just grunted and snapped her fingers. This time there was a flash of orange light, crackle of lightning, and the statue turned into a stone boat. “Can your village alchemist do that?”

“Oh, she may need one of them there alchemic circles, but sure.” Sasagawa looked at Chiyoko with a grin. “Your turn missy.”

Chiyoko didn’t even try for flashy. She just pulled her katana and cut the stone boat in half. From twenty feet away. “Shine Bright Serving Moon!”

Sasagawa finally realized that the three young women standing before her were in fact the Dragon Samurai. “That is impressive Mistress. Now why are you in my seaside fishing village? We have no great warriors here.”

Chiyoko returned her katana to its scabbard and pulled out the crystal pendent. Once it was hanging in the air it swung outward to point towards the ocean. Slowly turning in place the pendent continued to point towards the ocean. Once Chiyoko was facing the ocean the pendent pointed towards one of the smaller fishing boats. The pendent began to pulse with a purple light.

“Whose boat is that Headwoman Sasagawa?” Chiyoko asked bluntly.

“Why that’s Yoshie Higashi.” Sasagawa smiled brightly. “The village’s best long line fisher. The girl practically tastes the waves and just knows where the blue fin tuna are hiding.”

“You going to call for Choe-ze now or wait until the girl comes in?” Kasumi asked with a knowing smile.

“What do you know that we don’t Kasumi?” Akane demanded.

“She is the Ice Blade.” Was all Kasumi would say.

“We’ll wait for her on the dock.” Chiyoko told them.

“Hold on here ladies. You’ll not be taking my best long line fisher without someone paying off her debt.” Sasagawa snapped. “I don’t care if you’re the great and all powerful Doragonsamurai.”

“Mistress Sasagawa, we will not be denied our sister. Nor will we allow anyone to stand in her way of her destiny.” Akane growled. “That includes you and your village watchmen.”

Before the Headwoman could react the three samurai turned and walked towards the dock. They knew that the woman would call for the village watch. They also knew that they would have a fight on their hands. Sure, enough as they walked along the beach a group of twenty heavily armed women rushed them. Chiyoko just sighed as Akane and Kasumi readied themselves for a fight.

“Go easy on them, girls. They’ve no idea of who they face.” Chiyoko ordered.

“No going to happen, sister.” Akane snarled. “You’ve yet to deal with Free Country Peasants. This whole village is populated by them.”

“And they hate outsiders.” Kasumi grunted.

“Okay. I’ll bight. Why?” Chiyoko demanded.

“Because as far as they are concerned. Anyone not born within the limits of their town is a threat.” Akane answered coldly. “Especially if they’re a Free Woman or samurai.”

“Fine! Whatever.” Chiyoko grunted. “Just try not to kill them all. Give them a chance to walk away.”

In answer to Chiyoko’s instructions both alchemists activated their powers. Akane sent a towering wave of molten glass towards the village watch. As it crashed down half of them were buried under the molten glass and frozen forever in its crystalline embrace. Not to be out done, Kasumi sent a tornado of sand to blast and scour the rest down to the bone. When Chiyoko turned to rebuke the two Chiyoko saw something in their eyes. Rage, pure unadulterated rage. Whatever had driven her two new sisters to react in this manner was a personal reason. One that she had had no clue about.

“Okay, I know that I asked you to hold back.” Chiyoko began only to have Akane hiss at her. “What the fuck is going you two?”

“You have yet to face the common people of this world, Chiyoko. Until you do, do not question our actions with these people.” Kasumi snapped.

“Alright. What the fuck are you talking about?” Chiyoko snapped back.

“To these people we are the worst type of Free Woman. We are members of the Temple and samurai.” Akane quickly explained.

“Let see if I got this straight. Just because we’re Free Women and samurai they’ll try to either enslave or kill us?” Chiyoko was almost spitting by the time she finished. “And this is legal?”

“Sadly, in certain parts of our country, yes. If I had known that we were coming to debtor’s town I would have advised against it.” Akane sighed and looked down at her feet. “I just didn’t know it. Not until the Headwoman said that Yoshie Higashi owed a debt.”

“Let me guess. Everyone here or most are in some kind of debt to the Headwoman and her family.” Both Kasumi and Akane nodded their heads yes. “And this is legal? Indentured servitude.”

“Sadly yes, Chiyoko. There are hundreds of these towns all over the country. It is the last refuge for some families.” Akane explained then sighed. “Usually poor families that have fallen upon hard times and are in danger of losing a farm or their home.”

“The money they get for the children is used to pay off mortgages, medical bills, or support the rest of the family for the next year. If not more. The sold off children are little more than slaves in debtor towns. Nine times out of ten, they never live long enough to pay off the original debt. Most are sold two or three times. With the debt becoming higher and higher.” Kasumi kindly explained for Chiyoko.

“So, the Village Watch in these debtor towns are nothing more than hired thugs. They’re not here to keep the peace so much as to ensure none of the slaves run away. Does that about sum things up?” Chiyoko snarled.

“Who do you think enforces the Headwoman’s control and makes sure that the slaves don’t revolt?” Akane growled. “This is one of the many things I would change about our world, sister.”

“You’re not the only one, Akane. And once we’ve dealt with the Five Kings. We’ll make sure to put all of these places out of business. But first let’s get our sister.” Chiyoko grunted then turned towards the ocean. Raising her hands and arms above her head Chiyoko began to chant.

“My sister lies over the ocean.
My sister lies over the sea.
Oh, bring Back!
Oh, bring Back!
Bring back my sister to me!”

With each word of the old song Chiyoko chanted a wave grew under the small fishing boat that held Yoshie Higashi. With each verse she completed the wave carried the boat closer and closer to the shore. With every passing foot the wave moved faster and faster. Until a ten foot tall wave carried the boat at incredible speed towards the beach. Both Akane and Kasumi were amazed by the power that Chiyoko was showing. The poor girl in the stern of the tuna fishing boat though, wasn’t impressed. She was so scared that she actually screamed and pissed her white linen shorts.

As the wave neared the shoreline it slowly shrank from a tidal wave to a gentle swell. When the small boat came to rest on the beach sand Yoshie poked her head over the gunwale. She took one look at the three strangely dressed teenage girls and the dead Village Watch. Then yelled at them. “WHAT THE HELL?!”

Chiyoko smiled and waved. “Time to go sister.”

When Yoshi heard this her eyes rolled back in her head and she promptly fainted. Chiyoko turned to Kasumi and Akane with a smile. “That went well, don’t you think?”

-----tbc------

As always comments are welcome. they feed the muses and muses are ravenous creatures.

up
376 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I second that

Monique S's picture

first comment :-)

Monique.

Monique S

love story

"that went well.." LOL

I absolutely love......

D. Eden's picture

Your tying the modern songs into the story, lol! Especially Iron Maiden.

I can’t wait to see the interaction between Chiyoko, her new sister, and her sister’s dragon god. I’m sure it will be yet another demonstration of Chiyoko’s irreverent nature.

Now, one more to find, and then it’s off to the races!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Ice Blade

Beoca's picture

Hopefully Yoshie ultimately finds some comfort in being free of this debtor's village. No sympathy for the town watch.

The Headmistress

Wendy Jean's picture

Is lucky she wasn't included in the massacre.

Outstanding!

Excellent as always Ms. Jess. I particularly like your take on an alternate universe/timeline concept that has more than the usual, mysterious, one-way connection between the two we’ve seen so far. Of course this engenders the question: can the alternate universes be navigated and what other amazing adventures await Chiyoko-San and company if that’s possible?

What a treat, two WolfJess stories at the same time! Thanks so much for the welcome respite from my usual day.

Don't believe everything you think.

Humor off the cuff

Jamie Lee's picture

Chiyoko's flippant humor is nice for the story. It's much better than her getting super angry at things she sees and doesn't like.

Not being impressed with what she first saw, that headmistress had to realize their power when the village watch was easily handled. And they found the water sister.

Sometimes it's wise to be impressed by what's demonstrated. It can save lives in the long run.

Others have feelings too.