Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 2/27

Printer-friendly version

This is boring! Utterly monotonous and dull.
Sitting in my Little Mule all day and hoping a customer would come. This is the sixth day of my stint at Kingswood Forrest. Or what the Besonians call a rotation. Yes, I figured out what a rotation is. I'll tell you later. Spoiler warning. It is the stupidest shit ever.

I was so ready to get out of here. As I arrived I nearly made one thousand void-favors in a day. But that number quickly crumbled away on the second and declined further in the following days. Let me remind you. Most of my income is taking a cut when my customers want to void items. Namely parts of monsters and animals they hunted in the woods. Turns out no void-trader was here for a while. So I got all those saved-up items on the first day. What tickled in now was from fresh kills and there weren't that many.

They only void junk too. The hunters around here save pelts and meat for professional crafters or cooks. They would throw the rest away, but it is known that certain parts of an animal or monster catch a good price when voided. At least I sell arrows now and then. The rest of my stock didn't do so well. Not that there was a lot. I tried my best to research upgrades, but so far no one wanted to buy a "papush colored bow". It looks like a pink bow wasn't to the taste of the local woodsmen.

Despite my lack of customers, my Little Mule had plenty of guests. If you count men and women coming by just to ogle me. Some even pretended to be customers. Asking me about my little stock of equipment. Only to jump off the wagon after deliberating for ten minutes. Of course, with a healthy chunk of it taken up eyeing my twins. I get that they are enormous, but seriously I am not part of some freak show. At least I could charge a fee if I was.

Okay, look. I didn't start talking to you just to rant about things. That's just a side-effect. The last few days had been boring and you don't need to hear about that. Granted there was the time I got Essie to tell me about female hygiene. But you don't need to know about that. It had been embarrassing enough. No, the reason why this moment was special is that there is a request for a long-distance hologram to appear in my Little Mule. And it isn't Essie. The void-trader apprentice that now and then checked in on me. Nope, this was Iren calling. The same Iren that stuck me in this Little Mule with barely an explanation and shipped me off to the outskirts of mundane&boring. Well, the official name was Kingswood Forrest, but you get where I am coming from, right?

Of course, I wanted to talk to her. But first I pulled up the ramp of the Litte Mule and made myself presentable. Which amounted to pretty much pulling up the zipper on the front of my papush colored jumpsuit and hoping it would go higher than any time before. After sitting straight up I thought about accepting the call. That is all that is needed to make Iren's hologram appear.

"Leon! How is my new favorite apprentice doing?"

That nerve of her! Shipping me off to bum-fuck nowhere without an explanation. Granted, she hired Essie to tutor me and yes, she did buy me a very expensive little ship. But still. A warning might have been nice. Now she stands there smiling in her posh suit. Not rocking the pirate vibe like last time, but sporting the basonian equivalent of a tuxedo in a royal blue velvet material. She even wears a matching bowler head. Not that it could contain her many artfully knotted dreads.

I have to admit she looks good. Sexy. Not that I could rock such an outfit. My twins make that impossible. Wait. It's not like that. I don't want to dress up sexy. Just normal. Is that too much to ask for?

"Grumpy. Because you showed up as a hologram and I can't kick your ass."

"What's a hologram?" Iren honestly looks confused. "Oh, as a projection? Sorry, kiddo, but I don't have the time to visit all my charges in person. I am a busy bee."

"Then maybe you shouldn't have shipped me out to the uncivilized edge of this world. Without a word, mind you."

Iren gives me a fake laugh. You know the one. A little overdone. As if I just had said something hilarious. Now she sits down on the counter and gives me a benevolent smile. Look, I don't know how she can sit on it as a hologram.

"Alright. That is fair. I could have warned you, but as I said, I am busy. These are trying times for the guild. All hands on deck. That's how it is. And the Kingswood Forrest is hardly uncivilized. If none of your customers speak a language based on grunt then you are still good. Now, Leon, I ask again. How did you do the last week?"

Maybe I should make her wait. Just give her a glare until I get more of an apology than this half-baked one I just got. Then again, I am tired of being here. Sitting on my ass all the time. Maybe if I make nice then I can get out of here.

"Just fine. Thanks to Essie. She taught me the basics. However, there isn't much on the ship I could use. Who stocks the fridge, but doesn't put a few clothes in the wardrobe? At least I noticed early that I only had one roll of toilet paper and researched it early."

By now I have a papush colored version of toilet paper. No, not because I grow more girly and suddenly like everything pink. Don't be ridiculous. It is just softer. And it smells nice.

"All I got was a dagger, sword, bow, and arrows. I tried researching better versions, but mostly I just managed to color them papush. Only the arrows were bought. The normal colored ones."

Iren gives me a good-natured chuckle. You know. The one slightly patronizing in tone. "Well, I don't think pink weaponry is a market niche ready to be conquered. What about void-favors? How much did you earn?"

No shit Sherlock. Who would have thought hardened woodsmen prefer less visible and eyecatching weapons? I mean who would run around by choice in anything papush colored?

No.

Don't you dare to point out that I sit here in a papush colored jumpsuit. I have no choice. The vomit brown the original jumpsuit had is much worse. Myra probably had to wear it as punishment. I don't believe she would buy anything in that brown tone on purpose.

Okay. Where was I? Right. Void-favors.

"On my first day, I made nearly a thousand. Then it all broke in. Barely and trade since then. They mostly wanted arrows. All in all, I am close to one thousand and three hundred. Honestly, a day or two would have been enough. Leaving me here for a full rotation is just mean. I am so bored, you wouldn't believe it."

"Oh, I would. Remember Leon, I started out once just like you. It is those noblemen that give out the assignments. I always tell them for a place like this, two days are enough. Believe me, they never learn."

"But that's it, right? Tomorrow, the rotation is full. Then I can get out of here, right?"

Did my voice just sound a bit needy? I hope not. Still, I am so ready to leave this stupid place behind. Au Revoir, Kingswood Forrest. May a wildfire burn you down.

"That's why I am here. Now that you have a decent starting fund of void-favors it is time to decide how you proceed."

"Great!"

Wait, is your mind filling with doubts as mine currently is? There's got to be a snag somewhere.

"With deciding to proceed you mean you will tell me or do I have a say in it."

Oh, shit. Iren looks angry. Downright scary. What did I say?

"Leon, you have luck I am only a projection right now or I'd smack you over the head. Do you have any idea how much time I invested in the last few days? Just for you. I get that you aren't happy to be here. This forest or this world, but get off your horse. Your unique situation buys you only so much patience. That is one currency more precious than void-favors. Don't spend it without thought."

I've got to admit, she got me there. Damn, who knew Iren could be like that? Can't even look her in the eyes. Reminds me of the scolding gaze my mother gave me if I messed something up. No treehouse in the backyard for me to hide in. Maybe one of the woodsmen has a hunting blind I can borrow. Okay, let's try talking first.

"Sorry."

Nailed it. Okay, not my most eloquent speech. I admit. But Iren's gaze is softening again. Maybe it has more to with myself trying to sink into my seat and giving her puppy eyes. That sometimes worked with my mother. Not very often though. Now I got to remember to tread carefully. Iren isn't as easygoing as I first thought. One probably needs some steel inside to make it as the head of the trader guild.

"The decision of where to go now is yours and yours alone. But before you go around stepping on other people's toes you might want to listen to me and hear your options. As I said, I was in your shoes once. As was every other void-trader you will meet."

"I am all ears. I promise. How does one normally proceed from here?"

"Normally a void-trader establishes a route with the help of the guild. Places like these produce goods worth voiding. They touch down for a day or two and then move to the next spot. The goal is to research enough goods to become useful in other places. For someone who doesn't have your high aptitude for void-magic, this can take months. Sometimes even years."

That makes sense. A glance at my shelves reveals my meager stock. Three weapons and some arrows won't help me move up in the world. Normal colored or papush. I need an edge. Something to get ahead.

"You said normally and that I have options. What do you have in mind?"

"Now you are using your head. Good. It's about time. Tomorrow you will take your Little Mule to the Tsundore Fields. It is a trading hub for void-traders that made it. There, you will play dirty and skirt the laws of our guild."

"That sounds dangerous-"

Did Iren just wave me off? Nope, not going to remark on it. I'll just put my foot in my mouth again.

"It takes years to build up a good and diverse stock. Most void-traders specialize and guard their exclusives. Think about it. One copy and you can research a product for yourself. Breaking their grip on a specific good."

Are you thinking what I am thinking? With my quick research time, I might not just steal designs, but also improve them faster than anyone else. Provided I manage more than just recoloring something in papush. With my luck, I'd probably become renowned for it.

"It sounds like a way to make a lot of enemies."

"Well, yes. But being honest here, you don't have the void-favors to go for their exclusives. So, knock that out of your head. You will go there and buy the basics. A broad stock to make yourself more useful and adaptable to different trading spots. Normally, a void-trader should grant access to those items to newcomers in the business, but most play dirty and refuse. All to slow down the competition. Even if it would take years for them to encroach on their territory. It is equally dirty to not reveal that you are a void-trader yourself, but it will be exactly what you'll do."

What should I get? More weapons for sure. Armor could also make a dime or two. Holy shit! Clothes. I can finally buy something decent and ditch this stupid jumpsuit. Maybe even something that won't make me feel like a stripper freshly escaped from the most downtrodden strip club. Granted there is no hiding my twins. They stand out either way, but it doesn't mean I have to reveal them to the world all the time. But I am getting ahead of myself. Maybe Iren has more wisdom to bestow.

"I think I can do that. Weapons, armor, and consumables, right? Is there anything I have to specifically look out for? This is all very new to me and I might overlook something that might be an obvious pick for someone else."

"In your case, I would go straight for potions and other consumables. Don't bother with anything else."

"Why? That doesn't sound very adaptable."

"True. But for the spot I have in mind, it would be perfect. If you want there is a spot free at the Maynard Mansion. Vacant the day after tomorrow."

That sounds strange. Why would rich people need potions and other consumables? Or am I thinking wrong? Maybe Iren means I should stock up on lotions, soaps, and other luxury items.

"I am not sure what the high-society needs. Silken handkerchiefs?"

"Right. For a moment I forgot you are new to this place. Maynard Mansion was the home of an eccentric artificer. His creations went rampant and most of the grounds are overrun by monsters. It is a prime hunting ground for adventurers. The trader leaving was specialized in potions. If you fill the void left behind then many void-favors come your way."

That sounds like a steady flow of customers. At this moment, I'd care less for the void-favors to be earned. Selling potions and other consumables will at least keep me busy. Boredom is my new enemy number one. Even my troubles with the jumpsuit and my twins can't compare to it. I am so ready to get out of here.

"Sounds good. How many rotations do I have to do to fulfill the contract?"

Shit, did I say something stupid again? Iren has this bemused look. Did she just sigh? If my talking to you suddenly just ends I guess you find my corpse somewhere in a ditch.

"No contract. Listen, Leon. Contracts are for spots no void-trader wants to go. Local landlords pay us as an incentive. The Maynard Mansion and other spots like this are hard-fought for. Void-traders normally pay good money to rent a spot there. I used up a lot of favors and goodwill to get you in for five rotations. If you decide you want to leave early just give me a call. I'll have a replacement there the next day. Maybe even sooner."

She really does go out of her way to help me. To be honest, it makes me regret my earlier abrasive behavior even more. Shit. Maybe I can make it up to her somehow. A present? Don't think she will appreciate a papush colored anything. Maybe I find something at the market at Tsundore Fields. A present that says "sorry I have been an insufferable ass".

"Thank you, Iren. I may not always sound like it, but I appreciate your help. Will do as you say. Go to Tsundore Fields. I totally pretend I am not a void-trader and stock up on potions and other consumables. Then go to Maynard Mansion and make you proud."

"Glad we are on the same page again, Leon. Speaking of. One last thing. You might want to come up with a new name. Leon might be an acceptable one for women on Earth, but on Besona you stand out with it. I'd recommend you find a local one that is to your liking."

Damn, that is a slap in the face. Right. It might be high time for a new name. Not that Leon is a female name on Earth, but Iren doesn't know it. Strange that Essie or Iren haven't pointed it out sooner. I dreaded this moment. Yet another string to sever that ties me to my old life and gender. Once it is gone all that I will have left are memories.

"I will ask Essie for help. She probably has a good nose for finding a fitting one."

"Not a bad idea. I've got to go now. Work never ends. With a little luck, I will find time for a visit in the next rotation. Until then stay out of trouble, Leon. I mean it. As much potential as you have you are causing me a lot of headaches too."

My serious nod is wasted. Iren is already gone. Damn, I really do owe a lot to that woman. If only I would think more before opening my mouth. But for now, I am glad to have a plan. Tomorrow, the market at Tsundore Fields. Then five rotations at Maynard Mansion peddling potions.

Right, rotations. I promised I explain them, right. According to Essie, a rotation is six days. Similar to what we call a week but the origin is so much worse. Some wannabe smart guy on Besona had the idea that eating certain foods on certain days makes one more healthy. Meatday, Fishday, Eggday, Herbday, Fruitday, and Spiceday were born. That stupidity caught on. One such set of days is called a rotation. And while the theory was eventually disproven the habit and the names stuck. I told you it was stupid. Do you already regret the urge to know? I know I do.

Anyway. The five rotations equal thirty days. Roughly a month by earth standard. The other time measurement is bells. Each day is divided into thirty of them. I am pretty sure one bell is shorter than an hour. By how much I can't say. A quarter maybe? Bells can be divided into full, half, quarter, and three quarters. That's it. No smaller measure is available. Apparently, the Besonians are a little more relaxed in terms of punctuality.

With Iren gone, I think it is time to close up shop. Tomorrow will be a busy day. Shopping. Are those female hormones talking or why am I a little excited? Oh, right. Decent clothes. That's it.

Now, I have to call Essie and try to find a name. Not looking forward to that one. I'll tell you tomorrow how that turned out. Until then, good night.


Hey Readers,
Cassy_Bee here.

Thanks to everyone who replied on part 1 and demanded a second one. Your comments and private messages mean a lot to me. Hence part 2. I know. A little dry and heavy on explanations. I think Leon will have a lot more opportunities for hijinks on the market.

To be honest, this is a serial (to be) that I didn't plan through ahead of time. I can't tell how long it will be. Certainly not sixty parts or longer.

I do have a few ideas of "torture" for Leon. More tropes of the Isekai genre to moonlight and make fun of. Or aspects of games that make no sense. If you think of one that I might miss then send me a message and I'll try to fit it in.

Until the next time,
hugs and kisses,
Cassy

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Truck-kun for anime Noobs

First, let me say that I am glad to see this continue.

I am not an anime or manga fan. Until this story, I had never heard of truck-kun, so I researched it. (The way the world works, another book I was reading a few days after the first chapter in the story also mentioned truck-kun.) The trope of having a someone die and move to another world is an old one, both in anime, manga, and fantasy. You will find several stories like that on BCTS. Having a pedestrian hit by a motor vehicle be the cause of death is very common. Frequently the lethal vehicle is a truck. In 2015, someone looked at homicidal trucks in anime and manga, realized that a lot of them looked alike, and came up with the theory that they were all the same truck, that hopped from one anime/manga universe to another, killing as it went. (Although sometimes it does miss.) They named this truck truck-kun. Kun is one of the many Japanese honorifics. It rhymes with rune, not run. It is normally applied to young men or boys. Obviously, calling a homicidal truck "kun" is ironic. Since then, anime/manga fans have latched onto truck-kun, and authors are deliberately using the trope.

Another anime trope than Truck-kun which is ironic

LibraryGeek's picture

Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo (ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me?) took another kinda-sorta trope and made it infamous.

Bench-kun.
"Confessing your love" is something which characters in Japanese fiction agonize over doing to the extent that it is a trope in itself. The precise setting varies some, depending upon what sub-culture the story focuses upon. It might be in back of school, on a pathway in a park, or... sitting on a bench.
Normally, the bench stays in one place; if another confession is made at a different location, and a bench is involved, it's a different bench.

In this story, while the first time it's a bench that was just sitting there, minding it's own business...
Starting with the second declaration, it's the same bench.
Special ordered from Amazon. Moved from location to location as seems necessary by the individual who purchased it; she's fiendish; I really liked her.
By the end of it all, the MC breaks into PTSD upon seeing Bench-kun. Just completely loses it internally; from the outside you have no clue, but they do an excellent job of showing his internal reactions.

And yes, the fandom did adopt that name for the bench.
There are many YouTube videos concerning Bench-kun as a result.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

About Bench-kun

While an interesting concept, I don't think I can easily fit it into the story.
For that, Leon needs a love interest, right?
Won't be happening as long as Leon has his head up his own ass.
In general, I also try to incorporate more game-related tropes than anime tropes.

Still, thank you for your suggestion, John.
Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

The universe is strange

After never having seen the word truck-kun until the first chapter of this story, I have now read it in two other stories (neither on BCTS) in less than a month. The universe is strange.

This story is going awesome.

WillowD's picture

For a story for which you never planned a part 2 this story is awesome. In fact, for a story where you did plan a part 2 this is still awesome. Thank you.

One interesting game aspect

One interesting game aspect that might be fun to play with is shops in the middle of dungeons.
Another might be sleeping heals all wounds.
An idol comment about adventures breaking pots and rifling through drawers might also be interesting.

Suggestions

Hmm, the way the story is set up having a shop in the middle of a dungeon may be hard to realize. But temporary getting Leon into one might be possible by using the worst video game trope ever: an escort mission!

I might not do the sleeping cures all wounds, but since Leon will be going for potions and consumables expect hijinks and moonlighting in that department.

Hmm. Breaking pots by adventurers. Why does that sound familiar. Oh, right. I started another story with the focal point of moonlighting this aspect. Sadly I am a little stuck in that one. But I think I already have an idea of how to moonlight this in part 3.

Thanks for your suggestions, NJM1564.
Hugs and kisses,
Cassy

games...

Sadarsa's picture

Something i always thought was strange about games...
Walking uninvited into someones home, searching through everything and taking what you need. All the while the owner is standing there just looking at you, then politely greeting you when you decide to hold a conversation with them.

OR the whole.. "You're the only one who can do this... you're our saviour!"
Meanwhile there's a line of other players behind you who are about to get the same speach.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

The home thrashing at least

The home thrashing at least caused someone to create an NPC-as-protagonist game...demo - "You Are Not The Hero". Pity the developer failed to deliver. The silly demo is still downloadable on the kickstarter page though, somehow, after almost 7 years.

amusing story, please

amusing story, please continue.

Iren being a better person than she seems.

Iren being a better person than she initially seems, is nice.

I wonder if that Intended Hero will show up again.

The priests might start mass murder with Truck-kun to get better people, if that starts to be a trend. Hopefully, Truck-kun can disagree and stuff...

Obviously!

Obviously Marie (the intended hero) will soon or later cross path with Leon again.
And then they will see who has the biggest bust.

she's learning

dont piss off your supervisor.

DogSig.png

Well, a lot is cleared up. Sort of...

Jamie Lee's picture

Did Iren actually forget Leon, or whatever s/he will rename herself, is new to the world or does she have too many irons in the fire to have room left to think about details?

And clothes, are they something considered an accessory, not really needed? If not, then why wasn't leon given clothes at receiving? And clothes that fit as she wants?

So, six days in one rotation and Leon gets to spend 30 days at the Manison. But will there be enough trade to warrant 5 rotations? Won't that mean shopping has to be extensive? Extensive enough to ensure 30 days of trading?

Guess those folks don't pay much attention to other worlds, or Iren would know about Leon not being a female name. But it almost sounds like any female name would work on Besona. After all, Iren is used on Earth as well.

This playing dirty doesn't sound quite kosher. Playing dirty often results in a bigger mess then if play was done by the rules. Might Iren have thrown Leon into the beginning of a mess he, um, she isn't ready to handle?

Others have feelings too.