Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 21/27

Printer-friendly version

"Good morning, Becky."

And good morning to you, imaginary audience. How was your night? Mine was short. Way too short. I guess it is my own fault. Bothering Becky with questions about The Pyramids Of Kentoshan. I think this time, I got the name right. Becky was annoyed with the times I got it wrong yesterday.

Anyway, once Becky started, there was no stopping her. Telling tales of her days as Nadare and the things he encountered inside the pyramids. Way too many details. Not just about Nadare or the pyramids. Nope. Apparently, he ran with a tight-knit group. I now know more about them than say Iren or Pasus.

The hard part was to say no when Becky transitioned from one story to the next. Because, believe it or not, they were actually good and interesting. Heck, who knew the grumpy old Nadare had a talent as a storyteller. Now, as Becky, it sprouted out of her like a geyser.

It was entertaining.

It was also killer for my plans to go to bed on time.

Time for breakfast. No hurry though. We were still mid-flight on our way to the pyramids. No customers who stood impatiently early in the morning at your ramp and giving you the stinky eye for opening the shop past sunrise.

Maybe I should eat in the small cockpit area. Urg, Becky, and her smelly tea. Roommates. Sometimes more trouble than they are worth. Well, if Becky is heading for the pyramids, then maybe I have some mornings for myself again.

We should be close by now. The autopilot says less than half a bell. Gotta eat quickly. Well, that leaves me time to check on my little side-project. Come on Besona. Don't screw this up for me.

It worked!

Yes!

Here. Take a look.

> Portable Blueprint Library <
> This magilogical wonder of a device can store blueprints researched by a void-trader. It also can teach stored blueprints to void traders who do not have them yet. Each process needs to be helped along with a generous amount of void-favors. <
> Active ability: In exchange for 1000 void-favors a known blueprint of the users choosing is permanently inscribed into the library.<
> Active ability: By selecting a blueprint from the library a user can permanently learn it for the cost of 1000 void-favors.<
> 4823 void-favors <

This changes everything. Well, not for me. I mean, not immediately. With this, void-traders can pass on their blueprints in minutes, instead of months or even years. Or a void-trader could archive their unique blueprints and have another void-trader franchise them. I mean, Iren told me something like that happens now and then in the void-trader guild. I could gather up all those naughty and lewd undergarments and gimmicks I researched and hand it over to someone. Their responsibility then and I get a part of their profits. It's a win-win situation. Just need to find the right void-trader for that job.

But all that has to wait. I am here for Myra and Maryn. They need practical stuff. Not boob growth garments. Maryn's breasts are big enough. Believe me, I should know. We are practically twins in that regard.

Oh, I think we are landing. Time to take a peek at-

Holy shit! Those are big ones. I mean, Becky said The Pyramids Of Kentoshan are big. So are ours in Egypt. But these here are humongous. Like twice the size at least.

And now I understand what Becky meant with terraces. That part of her stories had me confused. Now, I see. The pyramids are shaped like- Yeah, you guessed it. But every few meters up, the solid structure gave way to open floor space. Around it are columns that hold up the next part of the pyramid. Like those ancient temples in Rome? Or Greece? One of those. But these columns are slanted. The same angle the pyramid has. Preserving the overall geometry of the building. The largest one has nine of these terraces and the smaller ones have four or five.

These pyramids are definitely not tombs, like the one on Earth. No. These are palaces. Built to house the ruling class of an ancient empire. Fallen apart as their very leaders had become so entrenched in their ways that their space hardened around them.

Becky assured me there was plenty of loot to be found here. Then why did barely anyone ever come here? Think about it. Here was the government of that empire. Their rulers. And in a feudal society, that power they wielded was bought with military strength and fear. These pyramids housed a small army of palace guards. The very best. Their elite.

And Maryn is heading in there.

Fuck!

At least, if I give her my Automata body, she has an extra life. A second chance to get out if all gets too hard. That should make the church happy too. If I equip Maryn and her bodyguards with Automata, they'll be less prone to assassination attempts.

Time to craft a few of-

Oh, hell-

Yeah, Automata bodies are expensive. Ten grand of void-favors. And I am broke. How am I supposed to make one for Maryn? Let alone her whole entourage. Worse, if I wanna improve the Automata body then I need a copy to put on the research bench.

I mean, I could take Becky's Automata body, but that would be cruel. Even more so now that I know soul-crystals can see and hear. With us moving into the most remote region, who knows when a soul-guide will show up.

I need void-favors, but where to get them? Well, what don't I need from my inventory? I do have a lot of blueprints from the servant quarters. Ironically, I didn't get a blueprint for the blueprints. Do I still need them? I researched Automata - kind of - and I have my new device to store and teach blueprints. To the void with them.

Damn, that wasn't a lot of void favors. Hmm. The machine for Automata fabrication? No. I might need that one. Haven't even used it for a single research. No blueprint for it either or I wouldn't hesitate to trash it. I can reduce my readily on hand of potions. That will bring me a few hundred.

What else? Guess my overly defensive outfit can go into the void too. I don't think I will take a tour of the pyramids. Or any other hardened space. We are being remote enough that being kidnapped or assassinated by the Western Empire is a smaller chance. I can live with that. I hope. Famous last words vibe.

I am close. Guess some of the equipment I got from Arwyn has to meet the void too. Before I even got a chance to copy their enchantments. Then again, I decided to go all-in on Automata. A few of the armor enchantments might be useful to transfer onto Automata. Provided that is possible. That means I can trash some weapons.

There. That should be enough. At least for one Automata. Hand it over to Maryn or use it for research? That's a hard choice. Let's connect with Maryn and decide then. Maybe the church has a few void-favors to spare. If I help them save the world, then at least they can bankroll my research a bit.

"We've landed," Becky says. Poking her head into the cockpit. "Want me to give you a tour? It will be a short one for sure."

"Why not?"

Time to head out. Well, just by stepping outside I can see what Becky means. As much as the pyramids are impressive, the area around them is disappointing. It is a desolate landscape with barely any vegetation. Now, early in the morning, it is slightly chilly too. Should have researched something warmer to wear.

Apparently, my Little Mule knew exactly where to park. Its nose and the nose of the church's Little Swan are exactly in line. The same even space between the ships that I already know from parking at Maynard Mansion. Come to think of it, the same had been true for Tsundore Fields.

Anyway, just past the church's Little Swan, I can see a building. Wooden. Two stories. Not very big.

"What's that?"

"That's the Lonesome Tavern," Becky enlightened me. "Run by my good old friend Edgiff. I wonder if the old man will recognize me like this."

"I doubt it," I mutter to myself. Then louder: "Why? Any unpaid bar taps?"

"Nah. But my pals and I are known here for - maybe - partying a little too hard."

"Wait, is that the tavern from the story where you tried to light your burps on fire and burned down the establishment instead."

"Nope. That was the Drunk Anchor in Saltmore Bay."

Well, up close, the tavern looked solid enough. Not so ramshackle and time-worn from the view of my Little Mule suggested. And it was still standing. That was a testament of some kind too.

"Ladies first," Becky says as she holds open the door for me.

Should I point out that she is a lady now too? Well, provided I can exercise some of that rowdy behavior of hers. Right now calling Becky a lady was kind of a stretch. And if even a quarter of Nadare's stories were true, then this gal knew how to party. And yet, despite all the stories, I have trouble envisioning it. Nadare outgoing and a party animal.

Pushing in didn't reveal the most promising display. The interior - while being cared for - looked worn down. A long bar and a few tables in the back. It reminds me of my dive bar touring days.

Aside from the owner - a young guy in his twenties - a dozen figures crowded the small room. All eyes fell on me. At least until they spotted Becky.

"An Automata? Here?" a fighter asks while drawing his sword.

I can see others doing the same with their weapons. Time to step in. Or step before Becky. Before something regretful happens.

"She's with me. My name is Lillyn and I am a void-trader. Becky here is my latest research breakthrough." Well, one of them. No need for them to know. "She won't attack or hurt you. But she will defend herself. So, you better sheath your weapon."

They are reluctant to do so. I can understand. Seeing Automata and especially Becky in action certainly is memorable.

"Welcome to my establishment. I am Bertoff. Proprietor of the Lonesome Tavern," the young barkeep chips in. Breaking the tense mood of the room. "A void-trader? We don't get much of yours around here."

I was about to eloquently explain myself, but then Becky is butting in. "What happened to Edgiff?"

"Pops? He retired a few years back. Wait-"

Bertoff is glancing back and forth between me and Becky. I can clearly see his thought process. If I just invented or researched this Automata, then how come she knew his old man. And with apparent familiarity.

"You might as well show him your soul-crystal," I say. But only after a loud sigh.

"Oh, right. Ups." Part of Becky's chest opened up and folded to the sides. Revealing Nadare's soul-crystal inside. Bertoff is getting a good view and I don't need to turn around to know the adventurers are craning their neck to see too. "I am an old friend of Edgriff. In fact, I had you on my lap when you were just a wee lad."

"Alright. Alright. I better explain this." Turning around, I raise my voice. "As you can see, Becky here has a soul-crystal mounted. She is a volunteer to test this body out. This is meant as a backup body if an adventurer dies out there. It should be able to gather soul-flakes too. So, you can finance your own resurrection. However, Becky here is still a prototype and we are here to test the validity of my invention. I would appreciate it if you kept this quiet for now."

One adventurer stood up. "Do we know that volunteer that-"

"Do you need more volunteers?" A woman cut the first one off by raising her voice to drown him out.

"To reveal her true identity is up to Becky." A quick glance at her and I know she is shaking her head. "As for more volunteers. No, not right now. Why, though? You don't look like you need a new body."

"Not me. But they do," she says while pointing to the far wall.

How did I miss that? There were dozens of soul-chargers mounted to the wall. Some could only hold one soul-crystal, while others could hold two or four. Many are in use too. I guess about thirty soul-crystals occupied them. Most had names written on parchment, wood, or paper attached to them.

When the woman speaks again, I am not surprised by her revelation. "I'd say quite a few would volunteer. The soul-guide rarely comes there. My best guess is four to six more rotations on the wall for these poor fellas."

Damn. About thirty? Can I even make enough Automatas for them? With a price tag of around ten thousand, I'd have to void my Little Mule to afford that. And there might still be a few unfortunate adventurers who wouldn't get one. I barely could afford to make one for Maryn.

Now, if you could talk to me my dear imaginary audience, you'd probably point out that surely those adventurers have void-favors to spare. Quite possibly. Maybe not enough to cover all of them. But then my secret would be out. Automata would become a known thing. It is quite a possibility the Western Empire would send out agents to get their hands on some. Trying to research their own version. Not to mention they would look at who created them. Me.

Damn!

"Look. I wish I could, but the product isn't ready for a larger test yet. The process of creating them is rather involved. I'll try to make them available to you all as soon as I can, but I am afraid this will take some time. A few rotations at least."

How much should I say? I've got to keep rumors to a minimum. At least for now and-

"Miss Lillyn?"

Wait. That voice came from behind me. Turning around, I see one of those g-man the church employs. In fact, it is the same one that cut me off last time from my Little Mule.

"Our mistress would like a word with you."

I bet she would. It was probably hard not to notice my arrival. Well, I did come here to talk to a few people. Maryn and Myra mostly. But maybe I can get the church to sponsor my research.

"As a matter of fact, I hoped she would." I give a slight nod to Becky before walking. "Lead the way."

I guess the adventurers here have to wait a little longer. Saved by the church bell so to speak. I just hope they don't run their mouths. Then again, the place looks desolate and far away from any other place. Who knows how long it takes to reach civilization if you don't have a flying ship.

The Little Swan is just as big as I remembered. On the outside at least. The inside is still cramped. By my count, the church must be stuffing ten to fifteen people in there. I bet my Little Mule would feel spacious to them. Even though I now have a roommate.

Stepping up some narrow steps, I am once again led to a small lounge. Of course, the head priestess is here. I am more surprised to see Myra in the background. There is that moment she tensed. As if she wanted to walk over and hug me. But instead, I barely notice a slight nod and her standing still. That is telling and I hope not a bad sign.

I take a seat opposite the head priestess. Before she can offer me a seat herself. Provided she intended to do so. Well, now that point is mood. I hear Becky taking up a position behind me. A fact that surprises me. No one challenged her when she walked in after me. They probably don't see her as a threat. A mistake I sadly have to point out soon.

"I bet you are wondering why I came here." Yep. That's me coming straight to the point. I won't pretend there is any goodwill between us.

"Our business concluded at Maynard Mansion. There is no reason to follow us here. None." If stares could kill, right? Well, though luck. I am here and the head priestess can eat a- Can of Borscht for all I care.

"Actually, there is," I say with a slight grin. Okay. Okay. Might be a full-blown smirk. "Our business is concluded for now. However, you are aware that Maryn visited me recently. I was hired by her to do some research. Improving equipment and other bits and pieces."

"The church is providing equipment." Did she just up-turn her nose to me? What a bitch. "Therefore, it won't be-"

"Therefore, I don't care. My contract is with Maryn. And I made a breakthrough. One that could shift the balance in her favor. This is-"

"A toy!" the head bitch of the church sneered at me before I could explain. "Tin soldiers can't be relied on."

Oh, man. I just about had it with her. "Listen, you arrogant piece of shit! You don't know anything!"

Well, that got me the attention I deserve. A few guards slipped out of her hiding holes. Drawing their weapons. Only to hesitate as Becky was faster. Her weapon out and ready.

"This is no tin soldier," I growl. Yes. Growl. You hear me right. "I researched a variant of the Automata body that can house a soul-crystal. Becky here is sentient. Got all her wits and memories. The body itself is strong and fast, as you just witnessed. This could be a shortcut for Maryn to bypass years, if not decades of improvements to her body. And the best part I haven't mentioned yet. If Maryn dies while having an Automata body in her soul-inventory, it automatically equips to her emerging soul-crystal. That means she got a second chance to either succeed or escape."

Silence is settling over the room. Unless you count looks. The head mistress's stare towards me spoke of no love lost between us. Heck, it would incinerate me on the spot, if that was possible. But after a moment, she gives a slight wave with her hand. A signal to her guards who relax and sheath their weapons fully.

"We can't rely on an invention that is untested and might fail in a critical moment. The fate of our world hangs in the balance." Before I can interrupt her with a harsh reply, she is holding up her hand again. This time as a sign of appeasement. "But I am willing to admit it might prove useful as a backup. Further, I won't deny Maryn this option if she chooses it."

Well, as much as I hate her, that arrogant priestess has valid points. Still, there might be a thin chance for cooperation. "Yes, this technology is new. And I will improve upon it. That's my immediate goal. As for testing, Becky here agreed to do it for me. That is the second reason I followed Maryn here. The pyramids are out of the way. Not many witnesses. Hopefully, no spies either who might try to acquire it for the Western Empire. I think you came here for the same reason."

"Obviously."

"If you see potential, then there might be a chance to quicken the testing of soul-crystal powered Automata. There are a lot of perished adventurers stored at the local tavern. I am sure we could find more volunteers. The throttle is that Automata bodies are not cheap. In fact, I drained my void-favor reserves creating one more body for Maryn. If the church could sponsor a few bodies for adventurers."

"That won't be possible." For a moment, I brace for yet another verbal duel. But then, the head priestess continues and her voice is strained. Tired even. "This whole endeavor has drained the coffers of the church. This ship. The weapons, armor, and equipment. All that was expensive. We are strapped. More than I am willing to admit. This is our last chance to stop the Western Empire - to save our world - and in more ways than one. Most of the countries ignore or underestimate the value of this endeavor. They rather pump their resources into building armies. If only one- I would sponsor you. Gladly. Even though I think of it as a slim chance to improve things. But I can't."

Shit. That was a novel and a half with the title "This is why everything sucks". So, no support from the church. Not that I actually counted on it. Though I am surprised by the reason. Want to but can't. Maybe the Church Of The Otherworldly isn't as big as I thought. In my mind, I drew the comparison to the big religions of Earth. What if they aren't as big. For all I know, this ship is it. Maybe a few more priestesses in the temple where I arrived.

Maybe I should ask Myra. She should know. Then again, do I really wanna know? What if Maryn and I have been summoned not by an established religion, but a local cult? Is the hero's prophecy about Maryn even real? Well, it did get us here.

Let's table it for now. Those speculations won't bring me anywhere and won't really change a thing.

"I am sad to hear it," I say aloud. "Then there is only one last step. To give the Automata body I have with me to Maryn."

The head Priestess frowns. Not a good sign.

"I am afraid that won't be possible for a few days. She already left for the pyramids."

Brilliant. Just brilliant. And now what? No one invented mobile phones here? Well, as far as I know, that is true. Would be good to have right about now. Hmm, maybe I should try creating some. I have that old one the church handed over.

No, Lillyn. Focus. All eyes on improving the Automata body, remember?

"If she comes back, send her to me." And just to make it crystal clear: "Her having one of my Automata bodies is in both our interests."

"We will."

Well, that is probably as good as I can hope for. Time to leave. With Becky in tow-

"Lillyn!"

Right. Myra. She is catching up to us just as we arrive at the small stairs down.

"You came!"

"Well, I had a little spare time and-"

Uff. Alright. That's a tight hug. Hoped for another kiss, but I'll take it. Damn, she smells good.

Um, anyway. Where was I?

"Without you, I have no one to take a walk around the courtyard."

"Becky doesn't count?" Myra asks with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Not if she is bragging with her skills."

"I merely demonstrated my capabilities," Becky adds drily. "And Lillyn is still very guarded around me and her past. Wouldn't make for good conversations."

Yeah. Still haven't told Becky about my true origin. Maybe later. I hardly know her yet. In fact, the longer I have Becky around the more I doubt what I knew about Nadare.

"Well, I guess you have to come by later and ease my boredom."

"Oh, is it that bad?" Myra asks. Well, purred really.

Of course, Becky was having none of it. Being thrown under the bus. "I didn't know my stories bored you that much."

"They were fine. But you are being a horrible wingman right now."

Spotting an opening, Myra was quick to pounce on it. "Oh, you trying to seduce me?"

"I'll be waiting outside," Becky says as she pushes past us. I swear I saw her eyes roll.

But maybe a little privacy is a good idea. Talk to you all later.


A few minutes later, I once again walk into the Lonesome Tavern. Of course, with Becky in tow. It doesn't take long until all eyes are on me. Which suits me just fine.

"Hi, again. Previously I failed to properly introduce myself. My name is Lillyn and I am a void-trader. I am pretty new to the profession but have a high aptitude for it. Previously, I peddled potions at Maynard Mansion. Those, of course, I will offer for sale to you. Sadly, my stock of other wares is rather limited. But at least, I can void junk and gear you don't need anymore." After a short dramatic pause, I continue. "But not right now. I am hungry. This tavern serves food, right?"

That got a few chuckles. Well, I need them in good spirits. And to be raiding the hardened space outside again. I need their business. Their void-favors. Somehow, I got the feeling I will need a lot of those very soon.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Money money money!

We should be close by now. The autopilot says less than half a bell. Gotta eat quickly. Well, that leaves me time to check on my little side-project. Come on Besona. Don't screw this up for me.

It worked!

Yes!

Huh? I thought there'd be more time, at least enough for at least 2 researches?

Oh, I think we are landing. Time to take a peek at-

Holy shit! Those are big ones

HA!
...

There were dozens of soul-chargers mounted to the wall. Some could only hold one soul-crystal, while others could hold two or four. Many are in use too. I guess about thirty soul-crystals occupied them.

Hmm... But firstly, not all, and secondly... SO... they can be improved to hold more Crystals...

Math... Dozens... Is that more or less than 36? Because that's three dozens, meaning there should be enough Empties to buy at least one Automata since...

An Automata costs about 4-5 One-Chargers... And Lillyn can always make more... Along with how Crystals can survive by themselves for a little while...

Sacrifice a few Chargers for a body to raid the Pyramids for more cash...?

And it's only an adult body that costs so much... If Child versions are made... They're still bodies, still better than a regular kid... Automata Army of Sailor Scouts (Child Soldiers), lol?

....

So, this Church (splinter?) might be on its last legs...

But if they don't want to be found... Might be worth deconstructing the Little Swan so it's less noticeable and stuff... And sell it for bodies...

...

Maryn's current location is worrisome.

...

Awww! Lovey-dovey ending!