Byline chapter 25

Printer-friendly version

Byline chapter 25


Byline Cover2Small.jpg

Copyright © 2021 Peregrine
All rights reserved.
Disclaimer:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


chapter 25


I woke up the next day feeling the best I had in a long time. I got dressed and went to the hospital to see Jo. She was awake and fiddling with something on an unappetizing-looking food tray. She appeared a bit better and only had one tube coming out of her arm. She looked up at me as I came in.

“What are you doing here? I told you not to come back until you finished your articles,” she said. She pushed something around on her tray.

“I finished. I sent them to my boss last night. Now it’s a waiting game. I did the best I could. It’s up to management.” She shook her head in approval.

“Thanks for being here when I woke up,” she said. “That meant a lot to me. Even if you wouldn’t shut up.”

“That’s what friends do. Even if you don’t like me presenting as a woman.” She laughed. “I should be thanking you,” I said. “You told me what I needed to hear.”

“Anything to get you to shut up.” She smiled. “You just needed to get your butt kicked.”

“Have they told you when you’re going to get out of here?”

“If I continue to improve, it could be by the weekend or the middle of next week.” She gave her food tray a shove. “If the food doesn’t get better, I’m planning on breaking out of here this weekend.”

I laughed. “ Don’t do that. When you get released, let me know, I can take off from work and get you home.”

“You’ll know before me. I’m sure your sister will tell you,” she said. “You don’t have to. Mom and my brothers are going to get me home." She sighed. “Mom is going to stay with me until I can do things for myself. She’s probably already staying at my place. Knowing her, she’s cleaning it as we speak and putting things away. I’m not going to be able to find anything when she leaves. Aren’t you supposed to be at work?”

“I’m off till Monday. Why?”

“I don’t want you taking off for me.”

I stayed until Jo’s family arrived. Jo’s mother thanked me for being there for her daughter. I left and went to get a late lunch.

~~0~~

I didn’t know if my assignment would be canceled or not. The decision was in the hands of upper management. I wasn’t sure which decision I wanted them to make. Before Christmas, I couldn’t wait to get back to being my old self, to being C J. Now I found I liked being Casey Jean. I realized the magazine’s decision had no bearing on if C J came back or not. That decision was solely in my hands.

The weekend came and went. Jo was still in the hospital come Monday morning. She was complaining when I spoke with her. I knew she was getting better. At work, Hannah and I talked about our respective New Year’s Eve parties. Kevin’s name came up when I told her he was the second person to ask me out for that night. I let her know I had not gone out with him. While nothing was said, I got the impression Kevin was not her favorite person.

The first week of the New Year was now history. I was still waiting for a decision. Not hearing from Jennifer about the assignment had me worried. It didn’t stop me from going out with Trevor on the weekends. It seemed like he was trying to make up for lost time. There were daily text messages, calls almost every other day and dates on the weekends. I was enjoying my time with him. He made me feel special. Like I was the only girl in the world. Of course, he thought I was a girl named Kenzie. I knew I needed to tell him I’m a guy before things went any further. For some reason, I felt I needed to tell Kevin also. I had taken some of his calls. I had not met with him. I made the decision to tell them both. I needed to tell someone else first.

~~0~~

“Hannah, are you free after work?” It was about an hour before quitting time.

“Sure. What do you have in mind?”

“There’s something I need to talk to you about. I’ll treat you to coffee or something.”

We took the walk to the nearest coffee shop and sat down after ordering and getting our drinks.

“Casey, if this is about the last painting I sold, I haven’t been paid yet. I know you told me to get the money first but it was a friend of my brother. It was for his girlfriend’s birthday. As soon as I get paid, I’ll give you your share.”

“Maybe you’ll listen to me next time.” I smiled. “It’s not about that. I’m not worried about being paid. This is more personal.”

“Oh God. You’re not sick are you?”

“Stop already. No, I’m not sick.” I paused. “God, how do I say this. I’m just gonna spit it out. Hannah, I’m not a woman, I’m a guy. There I said it.” She looked puzzled for a moment. “Sorry to just spring it on you like that. I’m working on a story for a magazine about society's pressures on women. I’m presenting as a woman for the story.” There was a shocked looked on her face as I continued to explain. When I finished, there was silence. It seemed like minutes before she finally spoke.

“You’re telling me you’re a guy? You’re not a woman, you’re really a guy. Holy…” There was a pause. Then without warning, she started laughing. It was not a reaction I was expecting.

“What’s so funny?”

“Oh my gosh. I can’t believe it. Before I met Bart, I hadn’t had a guy in my apartment in a long time. And the first time I do, it’s a guy in a dress presenting as a woman.” She started laughing again.

“I’m glad you’re taking this so well. You’re the first person I’ve told.”

“Casey, Don’t take this the wrong way. You’re more of a woman than many women I know. You’ve got style. You’re sweet, sensitive and kind. You care about people and want to help them. I knew it was you who told the paper about the mandatory heel policy at the office.”

“I didn’t tell the paper. I told the magazine.” Now it was my turn to smile.

“Same difference. Let me tell you, for a guy, you look great in a dress. Why are you telling me now?”

“Because your my friend and I don’t want to deceive you any longer. Plus I need someone to talk with. I’ve been feeling guilty going out with guys. They think I’m a woman and I’m not comfortable deceiving them.”

“Yet you still go out with them.”

“I didn’t say I wasn’t selfish. I’ve decided to tell anyone I go out with from now on.”

“Wait, you’re not going to tell Kevin are you?”

“Yes, I’m telling both Kevin and Trevor.”

“I don’t know Trevor, but telling Kevin you’re a guy, telling him he dated and kissed a guy, may not be the smartest thing to do.” Now it was my turn to look puzzled. “Look how he reacted to you being friends with a lesbian. Casey, tell him you don’t want to go out with him again. Tell him not to call. Tell him you can’t forgive him. He’ll be hurt but you won’t be. Don’t tell him you’re a guy. Promise me.”

“I should tell…”

“Promise me!”

“Alright, I promise but I’m not going to do it on the phone. It’s going to be in person.”

“I can’t talk sense into you. Let me know when and where you’re going to talk with him.”

“Fine, I’ll let you know. Are we good?”

“We’re good as gold girlfriend.”

~~0~~

Hannah had been right. Talking with Kevin in person was not such a good idea. I was glad I had given Hannah the information about my meeting. I began telling Kevin I couldn’t forgive him. I told him I didn’t want to go out and for him not to call. As Kevin got agitated, he began calling me names. I don’t know where Bart had been but he showed up and had to restrain Kevin. After quite a bit more name-calling, Kevin shook Bart off and left. I was glad I had taken Hannah’s advice. I don’t want to think what might have happened if I had told him I was a guy. As we watched Kevin leave, Bart asked if I was alright. I told him I was fine and thanked him before we left. Bart waited with me until my ride came.

~~~0~~~

Hannah ran over and hugged me almost knocking me down as I walked in the door at work the next day.

“How are you doing? Bart told me he had to restrain Kevin. Did you tell him you were a guy?”

“I promised you I wouldn’t tell him. I only told him I didn’t want to see him again.”

“I don’t want to think what could have happened if you told him. Bart and Kevin got into a fight outside. Kevin accused Bart of defending a lesbian-loving bitch. Bart wouldn’t tell me the names Kevin used. They’re no longer partners. Bart’s not unhappy with the change.”

“I have to thank you for having Bart there. Thank him again for me. I appreciate it.”

“We’re both your friends, Casey. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine thanks to friends like you and Bart.”

This Kevin incident had me wondering what was going to happen when I told Trevor.

~~0~~

It took me more than a week before I worked up the courage to tell Trevor I wanted to talk with him. I chose a Friday after work. We already had plans to go out on Saturday. If Trevor took my news badly, I’m sure that date wouldn’t happen. It was quite a warm day for January. I asked Trevor to meet me at the coffee kiosk at Dilworth Park. It was out in the open. It was also close to where he worked and not an unpleasant walk for me. I changed into my flats before leaving work.

Coming straight from work, I hadn’t changed my outfit. Since it was a Friday, I had on a navy pantsuit with a white silk top. I did freshen up my makeup before I left. Hannah said she would ask Bart to be in the area just in case. I thanked her and told her I didn’t think it was necessary.

I saw Trevor as he approached. He saw me sitting at my table and waved. I waved back. He was wearing his business suit and looked every bit as handsome as he had on New Year’s Eve. I didn’t know what was going to happen or how he would react to my news. All I knew is I wanted his arms around me. I wanted him to kiss me like he did at the party. This time I wouldn’t run away.

“Hi Kenzie,” he said. He surprised me with a small bouquet of flowers. I don’t know how I missed seeing them.

“Thanks for the flowers. They’re lovely.” I smelled their sweet perfume. He leaned down and kissed me.

“Let me get something to drink. I’ll be right back.” He left to get his drink. I could feel myself getting nervous. I almost got up and left. I could hear Abbey’s voice telling me she knew I would wimp out. I stayed seated to annoy the Abbey in my head. Trevor came back with his drink and sat down.

“Not that it matters, you know I love spending time with you, what’s so important it couldn’t wait for our date tomorrow?”

“I have to tell you something about me.”

“You’re not moving back to Australia are you?” he asked.

I smiled. “No, I’m not moving to Australia.” I paused. “I like you. I want to continue going out with you. You need to know something about me before we continue with this relationship.” I paused again and took a deep breath. “I’m not a woman. I’m a guy. My name is not Kenzie. I’m C J. I’m Abbey’s brother.” I took another breath to compose myself. “I know me telling you this might mean you don’t want to have anything to do with me anymore. Just know, I never meant to deceive you. I don’t want to lose you. Please don’t hate me.” My emotions had built up. Tears started welling up and rolling down my face as I waited for the rejection I was sure would follow. I couldn’t read the look on Trevor’s face. It seemed like minutes before he moved. Finally, he lifted his cup and took a sip.

“You’re a guy. You’re C J, Abbey’s brother.” He paused. “Why the hell did it take so long? I was wondering when you were going to finally tell me.” He nonchalantly took another sip of his coffee.

Now I was startled. “What? You knew? How…?”

“C J, I suspected on that Halloween night I first met you. I was certain when I sat across you at the lunch table that week.”

“How did you know?”

“When I sat down, you looked up and your eyes got wide. I saw Kenzie’s eyes. I knew then.”

“You never said anything?”

“You obviously didn’t want anyone to know it was you at the Halloween party. I didn’t want to embarrass you by telling you I knew. I wanted to tell you every time I talked with you at lunch that year.”

“You’re right. I would have been very embarrassed.”

“I gave you an opportunity to tell me you know.”

“When?”

“Remember when I asked you to ask Kenzie if she would go to the prom with me? I was hoping you would be Kenzie one more time. I was asking you. I was going to tell you then. When you told me Kenzie couldn’t go, I decided it was best not to say anything. When I saw you at the Christmas party dressed as Kenzie, I took a chance. When you didn’t tell me you were C J, I went along. I wondered how long it would take you to tell me. If you hadn’t told me by the end of January, I was going to let you know I figured it out.”

I looked into those amazing eyes of his. “You still want to go out with me knowing I’m a guy?”

“I’ve wanted to go out with you since that Halloween night. Do you want to go out with me knowing I’ve wanted to go out with a guy?”

“As long as I’m the only guy you go out with from now on.” I smiled. I took a tissue out of my bag and dabbed my face to dry my tears.

“Your wish is my command,” he said. He leaned over and kissed me. I put my arms around his neck and returned the kiss. With all my guilt gone, it was magical.

“C J, since…”

“Trevor, it’s Casey Jean now.” He smiled.

“Well, Casey Jean, since we’re together tonight, how about we go to dinner. I know a nice restaurant not far from here. I think we’re dressed for it. We should be able to get a table, I’ll try not to call you Kenzie tonight.”

I got my bag as I got up and happened to look around. I saw Bart watching us. I smiled and he shook his head. Trevor and I left for dinner.

~~0~~

His choice of restaurants was great. Dinner was fabulous and so was the company. No more fear of discovery. No more guilt. We walked around after dinner and eventually took a horse and buggy ride. We finally took a cab to my apartment.

“It’s been a fun night,” I said. “Let’s do it again tomorrow.”

“You’re going to get tired of me,” he said.

“I’ll never tire of you,” I said. I reached up, we kissed. I ran my fingers along the line of buttons on his shirt and looked up at him. “Um… would you like to come up? I’ll make you a latte. I have a fantastic latte machine.”

“I could go for a homemade latte.” I kissed him again. Arm in arm we entered my building.

“Miss Cummings, I haven’t had a chance to ask you about your friend since New Year’s. How’s she doing?”

“She’s doing fine and is home now.” I went behind the desk and gave a startled Henry a hug. “Thank you so much for getting me to the hospital that night.”

“I was glad to help,” he said. Henry then looked at Trevor. “Who’s your friend?” I went back to Trevor.

“Trevor, this is Henry. Henry, Trevor, my boyfriend.”

“Your boyfriend you say.”

“Nice to meet you, sir,” Trevor said.

They shook hands. Henry held on as he looked over Trevor. “You seem like a nice young man. Let me give you some advice. You treat our Miss Cummings here as nice as you can. She is one special young lady.”

“I totally agree with you sir.” Henry finally let go of Trevor’s hand.

“Have a good night, Henry,” I said.

“Same to you, Miss Cummings. You too young Trevor.”

We got up to my apartment. I never made the lattes.

~~0~~

I told Abbey all about my evening with Trevor. She pressed me for all the details.

“You little scamp you. I didn’t know you had it in you.” We both laughed. “Have you heard from the magazine?”

“No. That’s got me worried. They were pretty determined to shut down the assignment. I’m hoping my re-written article will have changed their minds.”

“So now you want to present as a woman until your assignment is over. You almost self-sabotaged the project because you didn’t want to present as a woman.”

“It wasn’t intentional. I want the assignment to continue because I want the feature story and the by-line.”

“Still using that as an excuse.”

“It’s not an excuse.”

“Casey, admit it, you like presenting as a woman. I could see it when you started dating Kevin. I see it now with you and Trevor. I think you would be hard-pressed to go back to being C J. You have to decide what you are going to do sooner or later.”

“I’m not making any decision until I hear if the assignment is still a go.”

“I don’t think you should let the magazine’s decision make your decision for you. You should do what you want to do.”

“Now you sound like mom.”

“She’s usually right. Hey, we should double,” Abbey said. “We can dress alike and see if the guys can tell us apart.”

We laughed. I knew Trevor would always be able to tell.


Thanks for reading. Comments welcome.


Cover picture Credits
Photo by Daria Sannikova from Pexels
Photo by Valeriia Miller from Pexels
Photo Composite by Peregrine


up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I just wanted to say I've

SammyC's picture

I just wanted to say I've enjoyed this story immensely. You've navigated this transition scenario pitch perfectly. Looking forward to how this wraps up. Thank you for creating a character as likeable and genuine as Casey Jean.

Sammy

Great line

"We laughed. I knew Trevor would always be able to tell." What a great line to end it on :) So sweet.

Managing risk

crash's picture

Of course it is a challenge deciding who to confide in and who not to. It's lucky that Casey talked to Hannah before making her confession to Kevin. That seemed such a good relationship up front. And so romantic. Too bad that Kevin turns out to be such a bigot and violent too. First responders tend to get exposed to a particular slice of humanity. It's too bad when they take the us vs them route rather than the inclusive route.

Now we have two other apparently cis male characters who seem like decent people. Bart seems a good open person and apparently Trevor has been nursing a crush for years. Bart can be a good friend and worth keeping track of. Still women are wise to remember that men, even good ones, can be dumb animals at times who think as much with their little head as with their big one. Who often lack an instinct for empathy.

I might recommend that Casey remain a bit vigilant where Trevor is concerned. While we all have our kinks and it's the interplay between and among them that leads to pleasure, excitement and romance. Still she might not be ready for a tranny chaser. Not saying that Trevor is one way or the other. Still women need to be vigilant. While most people are trustworthy or at least benign there are plenty who don;t even realize their biases.

As always I love this story and deeply thank you for sharing it with us.

Your friend
Crash

Thanks

Glenda98's picture

For a great story, I have enjoyed reading each chapter and it finished perfectly. it would have been good to know if CJ. achieved her goal with the byline but this was a good way to finish.

Glenda Ericsson

Thank You

I could add nothing to SammyC's comment in expressing my sentiments.

Yep, he's a creep

Jamie Lee's picture

Kevin does not have his head screwed on straight, which showed by way of his reaction to being rejected by Casey.. And he was willing to make Casey act the same. Friends are friends and it shouldn't matter their orientation.

Well, that was a surprise, Trevor already knowing Casey's truth. And Trevor willing to wait until Casey came clean to him. Looks like Casey got the brass ring in men.

Now if she'd hear from the magazine.

Others have feelings too.