Wolff of the Endless Waltz -chapter 25 Final

Printer-friendly version


Wolff of the Endless Waltz


For 35yrs the border between the Human Empire and Gorgonzola Empire as remained mostly peaceful. The citizens for the Human Empire of this border region are loyal to the last man, woman, and child to the Empire. It was on one of these worlds that gave birth to a legend. The world of Apollo 6 is one of the harshest worlds within the Empire. One so harsh that only it could claim to be the birth world of James J. Owens, the most feared of Death Dealers. A world that is even now poised to give birth to a new legendary warrior. One who shall be baptized in the blood of the Empire’s enemies. Robert Wolff youngest great grandchild of James Owens’ sister Cecilia Owens.


Chapter 25 Final
Hades, Death Gates System: 25 days later

I could only stare in disbelief at the main entrance gates to the Joan Eunice Smith School for Young Ladies from the back seat of the hover taxi. It took me a few seconds to realize that there were actually two 100ton Rhino Assault class APS suits standing guard on each side. Both were painted in the unit colors of the Hellhounds. I hoped like hell those two monsters were only here for decoration and were unmanned. I mean come on here people what kind of school needed a security detailed outfitted with an Assault class APS unit.

“I just need to see a copy of your orders Chief Wolff. Once I have that you can escort Lady Penelope up to the main building.” The gate guard told me as he leaned in close to the open window. When I didn’t answer right away he looked to where I was staring. “Relax Chief. First Lieutenant Tomas and Second Lieutenant Styles are only out here because the Alpha Company’s Assault lance drew gate detail.”

“Rob why is he calling me Lady Penelope?” Penny asked from her seat next to me.

“Your guess is as good as any Penny. For now, let’s just get you enrolled in school.” I told her as I handed over the requested copy. Once the guard had it in hand he waved the taxi on through the gate.

As we drove towards the front of the school. I had a feeling that Penny was about to start a new life as a Nobile Lady. While Danny would be starting one of a Lord. There had been clues dropped during the trip from Apollo 6 to Hades. The biggest of which was the way the dropship crew treated the two of them. I wouldn’t have put it pass the Dowager Empress to have promoted the two of them to the status of Lord and Lady to replace the Vanderbilt family. After all none of them remained.

When we pulled to a stop at the entrance to the school’s main building I knew that my little sister was in good hands. I stepped out of the taxi before Penny and held out my hand to help exit the backseat. She was still having a hard time wearing the kimonos supplied to her by the Royal Family. Despite the deferent colors and fabric print patterns, they all had one thing in common. They were all embroidered with a ruby red, ice-blue, and brilliant yellow phoenix on the left breast.

Of all the children that ever stayed at Sky Reach Penelope’s new wardrobe fit her the best. After me she had the most hidden history of us all. I do know that she was born to parents from the Rising Sun System. One of the seven systems colonized by the ancient island nation of Japan on Earth Prime. All seven systems still practiced the ancient costumes of that once proud nation and its people. We were greeted by a young girl in her mid-teens. I could tell by the uniform and her manners that she was a student here at this school.

“Welcome to Joan Eunice Smith School for Young Ladies, Lady Penelope. I’ll be your guide for this morning.” The young lady looked over at me and her eyes took in the silver bar with two black squares on my shoulders. “Chief Warrant Office Wolff if you would please wait here for the Security Chief to arrive I’ll escort your sister to the Head Mistress’s office.”

As much as I wanted to argue with this young lady I knew that doing so wouldn’t be the smartest thing to do just then. If those two APS at the gate were any indication. Then this place was under the protection of the Royal Bodyguard unit, the Hellhounds. A full regiment of the meanest, badest, nastiest, soldiers in all of the Empire. Not a group of soldiers that you take lightly. At least I knew that Penny would be protected here while I faced death on the battlefield.

“Go on Penny. I got a feeling that me and the local CO will be having a little one on one talk.” I saw the look of fear in her eyes and gave her a hug. “Don’t worry kiddo. I’ll be with you as soon as possible.”

“Please don’t leave me. I don’t like what’s going on Robby.” Penny whispered.

“Go on Pen-pen. You’ll be safe here. Those APS suits belong to the Hellhounds. That means the Royal Bodyguards are here. Trust me no one in their right mind is going to screw with this place.” I assured her.

“Not if they want to live to see the next morning. The First Battalion of the Hellhounds are stationed here for just one reason. The Dowager Empress and War Princess are part of the faculty.” I turned to the voice and the man that it belonged to. I was not expecting to see a Lieutenant Colonel in charged of a security detail. No matter who that detail belonged to. “Colonel John C. Stannis at your service. If you’ll come with me I’ll get your clearance taken care of.”

“I figured that was the case, sir. Though I must admit that I am surprised to see an APS battalion pulling security duty at a school for girls.” I told him honestly.

“Miss Kathy why don’t you go ahead and escort Lady Penelope to the Head Mistress while I take care of the Chief.” I nudged Penny and she walked off with her school escort. “Now that we’re alone Chief let’s get down to brass tacks here. We’re more than just an APS battalion Chief. The First Battalion is a reenforced Combined Arms Battalion. We have an explained mixed APS company, a Heavy tank company, an Armored Infantry Company, and two Light Infantry Companies. We also have two platoons with K-nine escorts. The First Battalion is here for more than just the school’s security. We’re here for the Dowager couple.”

“Okay wait a damned minute here Colonel. Just what the hell does that mean?” I was beyond confused to start with but for the Dowager couple to be a pair of teachers was twisting my mind in ways that drove Celest crazy.

“What that means is your little sister will be one of many students that have the pleasure of being instructed by the Dowager Couple. Also, your sister’s classmates will be daughters among a great many of the High Families. The same can be said for your little brother’s classmates over at Jacob Salomon School for Boys. Between the two schools we have children from ALL of the High Families here on Hades. Hence all of the unorthodox security. The Dowager Empress and War Princess take their responsibilities to their student rather seriously.” Stannis grunted with a smile.

“If that is serious. I would hate to see extreme.” I joked as I thumbed toward the gate with its two Rhinos standing guard.

“We they go for extreme they breakout their personal assault class APSs. Then call in their family little sisters and mother.” Stannis shivered then looked toward the far side of the campus. “When those ladies get rolling nothing stands in their way. If you ever want to know just how nasty they can get go to the troop barracks’ dayroom. We still keep the top gun scores posted. The Wave Dancers still hold the top five individual spots, plus team spot.”

“Damn. How long have they held those positions?” I asked him bluntly.

“For as long as anyone can remember. I think that is around thirty plus years now.” Stannis chuckled as my mouth fell open. “Trust me Chief Wolff. The Wave Dancers are a cut above the rest of us ass in the grass GRUNTs.”

“Damn. Well, it looks like my job is done. Can you tell me where I can find an ice-cold beer and a decent beach, sir? I’ve got thirty-days leave to burn.” I told him.

“Not going to stick around until your sister settles in?” He asked with his head cocked to one side giving me a strange look.

I was honest with him. “I don’t belong in their world anymore sir. I belong on the battlefield. Not sitting down at fancy dinner table with the High Families and their worthless sycophants. Give me a hot K-rate, cold canteen of water, and a dry pack of smokes then I’m happy. After that its nothing more than gravy, sir.”

“They said you were an uncommon Death Dealer. I must admit that I first doubted the reports about you Chief Warrant Wolff.” Stannis chuckled then looked down at the Silver Wings Assault badge adorning my uniform. “Then again most soldiers who win those never do fit the standard model.”

“I heard the Dowager Empress called us a bunch of misfits, outlaws, gangsters, and the rowdiest bunch of Death Dealers she had ever met.” I chuckled as I told him of a rumor that had spread among the dropship’s crew that brought us here. “Tell you the truth sir. She probably wasn’t far off the mark.”

“You and the Fallen Angels are close Chief. That honor still belongs to Empress Maiha’s grandfather’s team, the Ghost Riders.” Stannis chuckled humorlessly. “To answer your question about the cold beer and beach. Grab the nine-twenty-two train to Haven Port. From there take the seaside road north for about thirty miles. There you’ll find a shine to the Saint Jimmy of Islands. Don’t worry the Priests of Margarita Ville serve a great burger and cold beer at their beachside bar and grill. Not to mention some of the best margaritas for twelve parsecs.”

“Thank you sir. Can you do me a favor? Please look after my little brothers and sisters while there here. They may not go full tilt beat down on someone, but they will put them in the Nurse’s office if pushed. Remember they’re all orphans who survive the streets of Goulcrest during a full-blown war. They didn’t do that by being innocent in the ways of the streets.” I smirked.

“Got it. Eyes on the mini-Rippers.” Stannis chuckled. “Just how much trouble am I looking at if they do go nuts on one of the local pains in my ass?”

“Let’s just say that Penelope can handle an SEM-14A3 like a professional. Danny is a nasty little bastard with a blade and has no problem with getting up close. I won’t even go into what the others will do if threatened.” I chuckled as the color drained from the Colonel’s face. “But I will tell you one this. The gangbangers of Goulcrest knew not to frack with them. Especially Lady Penelope.”

“Oh, bloody hell.” Colonel Stannis whispered. “Time to use my student contacts to spread the word about the newest students. Enjoy your Leave Chief Warrant Wolff.”

“I hope to sir.” With that I secured my duffle bag and joined my team at the main gate. I took one last look back at the administration building of JES and the full campus area. I thought about the two schools that my little brothers and sisters would attend and the life that they represented. “Enjoy your new lives kids. Time for the Ripper to leave you all behind.”

Privet Office of Maiha Nakatoma, JESS

Maiha stood at the window to her privet office looking out at the main gate. She could see the five remaining Death Dealers of the Fallen Angels gathered there. The sight of those five young men and women took her back to a time with her first team. When she was known as James J. Owens, Chief Warrant Officer, and the man they called Death. She knew that Colonel Stannis had told Robert about Bama Breeze beach.

“Once again history repeats itself. The most feared of Death Dealers heads for an out of the way beach to ease his soul.” Her voice was filled with mirth and fondness. “I wonder if Robert will find his saving grace as well.”

“Oh, I’m pretty sure that he will, daughter.” Dai Etsu told her from over by the door to the office. “Several of our students are taking vacation there now.”

“Please tell me that you didn’t set this up mother?” Maiha groaned. At the giggle from Dai Etsu Maiha just sighed. “Who did you send?”

“Let us just say that all six students are some of my more rememberable.” Dai Etsu waited for Maiha to turn around and face her. “Now you have a class to teach, and I have a meeting of the school’s directors to attend.”

“I hope you’re right mother. Because I have a feeling that Robert Wolff and his Fallen Angels will repeat history once more in the High Winds Court.” Maiha told her as she looked down at the report on her desk. “It seems that our old student and protégée is in need of a Death Dealer to correct the attitudes of her War Prince Divisions again. The only thing missing is the daughter of a High Family on Robert’s arm.” Maiha sighed heavy. “As much as I love Alice, there are times when I still miss my beloved Matsue. She was such a large part of my life. She gave me a small bit of peace during the times I needed it the most.”

“Matsue was more than just my sister as well James. She was a true light in the universe. I’ll be honest with you. Until I met my own James, Goddess rest his soul, I never knew what she saw in that brash young man that you were back then.” Dai Etsu looked out the window toward the gate. “Much like our dear Robert it seems.”

“I see a shit load of myself in that young man at that age.” Maiha chuckled.

“Yes you were rather rude, crude, and socially unacceptable back then. How did she ever smooth off those rough edges?” Dai Etsu asked with a cheeky smile.

“Let’s just say that I was always a work in progress Dai Etsu. The one thing she was never able to smooth over was my rather infamous short fuse or violent temper.” We both chuckled over this rather glaring admission on my part.

“If I’m not mistaken that infamous temper of yours served you well as a Death Dealer of some notoriety already. You had already earned your nickname of Death when you two first met.” Dai Etsu pointed out with a sad smile. “I still remember those painfilled and haunted eyes of yours that day on the beach. The one where we first met you and the rest of your team.”

“We were a rowdy bunch of assholes, weren’t we.” I told her with a smile. “I have to be honest, Dai Etsu. That Leave was the first one we had, had following one of the bloodiest fights in Death Dealer history. When I saw the two of you playing in the surf I knew that I was in love with Matsue.”

“We were young and innocent in the ways of the world then. Our father had allowed us to take a small break from the Family Temple’s strict education. To have the freedom to just play was new to us. Then you and your team appear out of nowhere. Where did you rowdy lot come from?” She asked with a smith.

“Believe it or not. We had been watching the two of you and your friends playing in the surf for more than an hour from the tiki-bar. Though I only had eyes for Matsue. I also knew that the six of you were all way out of our class.” I told her with a self-deprecating smile and chuckle. “After all we were a bunch of drunken rowdy GRUNTs and you were all, well lets be honest, High Families Ladies.”

“That we were and yet you managed to capture the heart of the only Lady who would give up her title to be the wife of a simple soldier. She gave her heart and soul to you James. I often found her tales of your adventures to be both enlightening and an escape from my duties to the Temple.” Dai Etsu chuckled then turned sad. “Though there were times when she would tell me of your nightmares. That you always sought the peace of mind that eludes even the most valiant of warriors.”

“A peace I never truly found.” I sighed heavily as I picked up a report from members of the Emperor’s Hand off the top of my desk. I couldn’t believe what I had read. “Even with the first of my children in my arms. Both the ones birthed by Matsue and then the ones I gave birth to myself. I fear that Robert will face those same demons in the years to come. The fact that our enemies already call him the Bloody Ripper does not bode well for his future.”

“Then let us hope that history truly does repeat itself one last time.” Dai Etsu told her with a sad smile. “For his sake at least.”

“Your mouth to the Goddess’s ears.” Maiha whispered and left her office. As the two Grandames of the Nakatoma family went about their business the Fallen Angels were waving down the taxi that they had called for from the gate. The six young soldiers would never know of the part that these two powerful women played in their future path. Nor would they know of the hope those two women held in their hearts for the newest Death Dealer to strike fear and respect in his enemies.

Cresea, Capital City of Ranvov, Velmaro Consortium
Office of trends, International Intelligence

Commandant of the Converted, Unit 9 of Section 5, Division 7 let the data flow through his cybernetic processer. The reports out of the now fallen nation of Gorgonzola were disturbing. For more than 100 years two Death Dealers had terrorized the warriors of Velmaro. First was the man called Death James J. Owens. After he had passed away it was his granddaughter, the one called Death’s Own Daughter by their warriors. Now there was a new warrior that was just as ferreous. Once he had correlated the intel 9 of 7 stood up and reported to the main control center.

He knew that the Hive Queen would not enjoy his report. As he entered the control center he spotted the heads for the other eleven sections. Like the other 9 members of his collective mind, he stepped into an alcove. He felt the probe connect to the base of his skull. After up linking to the primary server, he downloaded his information to the Hivemind. As the last of his data uploaded there was a spike of pain that ripped through his total nervous system. Like the other members of Section 5, Division 7 he fell over dead.

Everyone in the Consortium knew the price for failure was death. It didn’t matter what position they held within the Collective. From the lowliest drone working the food factories to the General of Paladins. Failure equals death.

Queen’s throne room.

The Hive Queen for the Velmaro Consortium felt the probe disconnect from the crown of her head. “Damned fools. How could they have not seen the danger that Gorgonzola presented. They were supposed to be the best of our Intelligence minds.”

“My Queen, none of our spies within either Sector five or six showed signs of in pending conflict. Section five was not the only Section caught unawares.” The Prime Drone fell of dead in the center of the throne room.

“The next drone that speaks out again shall suffer the same fate. General of Paladins why haven’t our drones in the shipyards cracked the secret behind the Shinigami battle platforms?” the Hive Queen snarled. “They are the true secret to the Human Empire’s grip on the universe. Them and their Death Dealers.”

Of all the Collective members only the individual Hive Queens were allowed true independent thought. Like all Hives in nature tasks were divided among groups. The smallest of which were 5 to the largest being 25 members. It all depended on the task that was assigned to the group. The average though was 10. Those ten reported to a single drone above them that was part of another 10. Those 10 reported to a single drone above them and so on. Until they reached the local Hive Queen.

Each planet had 24 Hive Queens and 1 Planet Queen. The 24 Hive Queens reported to the Planet Queen. The Planet Queens reported to the 48 Sector Queens. The 48 Sector Queens reported to 24 Regency Queens. The 24 Regency Queens reported to the 12 High Queens. Those 12 High Queens reported to the 1 Supreme High Queen. Who now stormed around the throne room. The click of her high heeled boots sharp on the metallic floor. If not for the flesh of her face one would be hard pressed to tell that the woman before them was a cyborg. Every inch of her polished black chrome covered body glinted in the sunlight. The chrome covered her from the crown of her head to the tips of her 5-inch-high heeled boots.

The Supreme High Queen couldn’t remember her original name. If she ever had a name to being with. Like all Queens she had been genetically engineered from birth for one purpose. To rule the Hive Mind. From a young age she had been trained to hear the voices of the thousands of minds and respond to their needs while not becoming lost within those voices. Her greatest fear though lay not within her control over the Consortium but from outside her nation’s borders. Unlike the other Queens the Supreme High Queen knew the fear her people represented to the rest of the universe.

As the only spacefaring nation that practiced 90 to 100 percent total cyberization of its citizens and Hive Mind control they were a true threat. Only the Human Empire could truly stop the Consortium should they whish to wage war of conquest. Their vastly superior Navy and regular Army were three times the match for her drone forces. That didn’t even take into account their Death Dealers. Those terrors of the battlefield. The greatest of which at one time was Commander James J. Owens, First High Lord of the Death Dealers. Only his granddaughter struck as much fear in her combat drones. Now there is this new Death Dealer. This Whitechapel Ripper.

The Supreme Hive Queen was faced with several questions. First of which was, was he just lucky? Was he as deadly as the reports dictated? Lastly was he one of a kind or the first of a new breed of Death Dealers? It was this last question that worried her the most. Ever since the arrival of the Second-Generation Death Dealers appeared he Consortium had to double then triple the number of warrior drones. Even then the War Collective warned that wouldn’t be enough to stand up to the Human Empire’s vastly superior military. For three simple reasons. Technology, skill, and the most discerning of them all Free Will.

It was that last reason that disturbed her the most. How could a society function in such an archaic way? Where every last individual was allowed to think for themselves. It should be anarchy not the orderly society that existed within the Empire. Nor should their military work as well as it does. Of all the remaining nations there are only two that could truly threaten the Human Empire now.

Sadly, hers was not one of them. One of which was a threat to her own nation, the Union of Stalinist Slovakian Republic. The largest population in Human Space with the second largest military in the history of Humanity. The second and only other nation that posed a threat to the Human Empire was the Balzac Imperium Dictatorship. A Nationalist nation that rivaled NAZI Germany of the 1930s and 1940s. The two nations each had an advantage over the Human Empire. For the USSR it was sheer numbers. While the BID had the technological advantage.

“How can we turn the two nations’ attention towards the Human Empire only?” She asked herself but found no answers. She was also faced with a problem. If she connected to the other Queens and shared her fears there would be chaos. If she didn’t connect and share the other Queens would have her removed. For the first time her young life the Supreme Hive Queen found herself in an unattainable position. All because of one man. “No not just a man. A Death Dealer that reveals Death.”

The Capital of Leningrad, Saint Peter’s Heaven, Union of Stalinist Slovakian Republic.

The Grand Supreme Soviet, Izhutina Tasha Artemievna, looked around the table at the leaderships for Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. Of the thirteen members she was the one that held the final say in everything. Izhutina would often rival in the rush of power that would fill her during such meetings. Today that rush did not come. In many ways the current Government was an exact duplicate of her great Ancestor Joseph Stalin. There was only one truly great deference between his Central Committee and hers. Half of the positions were occupied by women. This was a true representation of the body political.

“Tell me General Secretary of Intelligence Denisovna. How in the name of the Empire’s gods did you and your people miss the glaring mistakes of the Gorgonzola Empire? Better yet how could you and your people not realize that those Imperialist scum were bluffing the rest of the universe with a paper tiger military?” Izhutina demanded just before she slammed her fist onto the table.

“Please understand Supreme Soviet that none of our spies were able to infiltrate the Gorgonzola military ranks because of their class system. The only influence they were able to exert was on the working-class masses. Even then it was limited to those who did not work within their military complex.” Denisovna answered honestly knowing full well that she was placing her life in Izhutina’s hands. The Committee for State Security, were known to make enemies of the State, disappear.

“I see. They were victims of their own pride. Such is the ways of the Imperialists and Capitalists comrades. We must never deviate from the guiding truths of our great ancestors’ ideals. The Body Politic is served by the State while we serve the State. None of us are above the State. Not even myself.” Izhutina knew that she was handing out nothing but the standard party bullshit line. She knew it and they knew it. There wasn’t one of them that didn’t have a privet pleasure cabin on a vacation planet or personal staff at their home residents within the Union. “Thanks to the Gorgonzola Empire’s fall we are now faced with a very difficult choice to make. Where to deploy the main body of our forces to defend the Union?”

The first to speak up was the Secretary for War, Chupov Lavr Denisovich. As much as Izhutina hated the man she couldn’t replace him or his military mind easily. She was forced to keep him until she could find a true replacement. “Supreme Soviet Artemievna we are faced with a situation that has never before existed for our great nation. We are truly surrounded by enemies that are true threats on all sides. Thankfully the outer rim nation of Snærbiǫð is unknown to the other nations. While we do have a Treaty of Nonaggression with Snærbiǫð they can hurt us. We must rethink the way we are to deploy our forces.”

“What do you suggest Denisovich?” Demanded the third most powerful person on the Committee Secretary of Energy, Gorokhov Vasil Ivanovich. Only the Secretary of Finance was more powerful than Ivanovich. “As it stands now our military is already stretching the boundaries of our National Budget. Must I point out that despite the propaganda we have spread among the other nations. We lack the resources for a prolonged war. It matters not if it one of offense or defense. Any war we fight that lasts more than four months and our nation will crumbled.”

“My finest Military analysts have forecasted that we can operate openly for twelve months with the current war matterals on hand, Ivanovich. Stick to what you know and leave running the military to the professionals.” Denisovich snarled.

“Comrades you will comport yourselves as members of this Committee. Not schoolyard bullies fighting over territory. Do I make myself clear?” Izhutina snarled. “I asked for a solution to our current problem. Not a rehashing of known facts.”

“Excuse me, Comrades but I might have a solution to our dilemma.” Secretary for Agriculture, Komolova Alina Fyodorovna suggested to the gathered members. She waited for Izhutina to recognize her before continuing. “I suggest a plan where we spilt our forces into small defensive units with a main mobile army held in reserve. One that can be quickly moved about our nation. While the defensive units tie down the enemy in holding actions. Forcing them to bleed both men and resources.”

“Secretary Fyodorovna, where did you come up with this plan of action?” Asked the Secretary of Finance, Malinina Pavlina Maximovna from her place next to Izhutina.

“During my mandatory service time I was a Supply Officer assigned to the Tenth Red Guards under Field Marshal Stepanovich. He would often assign a theoretical problem to us lowly Lieutenants. We were to solve these problems and present them before him and the rest of the command staff. Where they would then evaluate and then grade our solutions.” Fyodorovna explained with no hint of pride in her voice. “During my second year we were assigned a verry similar problem and this was the only answer that we were able to come up with that didn’t bankrupt the nation or destroy the infrastructure to the point that our people starve. Before you ask there were there other plans offered up but each one was left on the floor torn to shreds by the Field Marshal and his Command Staff.”

“Did this plan have a name Comrade Fyodorovna?” Izhutina asked politely.

“We simply called it Plan three-five-seven. As all of our assignments were only used to teach us about the reality of war. We saw no reason to assign them actual operational names. Not when numbers would do for our purposes.” Fyodorovna answered with a shrug of her shoulders.

Izhutina turned to Maximovna, Ivanovich, and Denisovich. “Comrades I suggest we put Comrade Fyodorovna’s plan into action. Make it happen. We have time for now. This meeting is now adjourned.”

As she stood up to leave Denisovich asked one simple question. “What shall we call this new defensive plan Supreme Soviet Artemievna?”

“The Whitechapel Ripper defense.” Izhutina reached down and activated the room’s viewscreen. There on the wall was a picture of a blood covered Death Dealer taken during the final battle for the city of Goulcrest. Izhutina didn’t mix her words as she pointed to the picture of the blood covered warrior from hell. “Make no mistake on this matter Comrades because if the Human Empire turns its eyes upon us. That man right there will be at the head of their vanguard covered in the blood of our valiant soldiers with murder in his eyes.”

Fürstenwagen, Saxony 4, Balzac Imperium Dictatorship

Führer and Reichskanzler Heinrich Ullrich marched into his Wolf’s Lair with worry filled steps. Until now he had an unwilling alley in keeping the Human Empire under control. With the fall of the Gorgonzola Empire that was no longer the case. His nation was now surrounded by the two greatest threats to his nations political foundation of Nationalism. The Socialist Communists of the USSR on one side and the Democratic Monarchy of the Human Empire on the other. That didn’t even speak to the threat presented by the outer rim nation of Phoshixa.

Of all the nations that surrounded his own Phoshixa was the one that worried him the most. That was until his personal valete woke him this morning. “Field Marshal von Strout please tell me that I was not rudely awakened for a joke this morning.”

“I’m sorry meine Fuhrer I cannot. The Gorgonzola Empire truly has fallen to the war dogs of the Human Empire. We are still in the process of piecing together our spies reports. The few that were able to get out.” Eric von Strout knew that this morning was going to be one that he would later come to dread in the last years of his life. Starting at this point in time.

“Take it from the top Field Marshal. I know that this is one time where the Human Empire’s tactics, technology, and unpredictability were the cause for the Frogs downfall. My grandfather once told me something about the Human Empire’s Military. If you want to defeat the Human Empire’s Military do not train to counter their battlefield doctrine because they don’t bother with it in the first place. Instead train to fight in the most insane manner that one can imagine.” Ullrich chuckled as he thought about his grandfather. “First you can explain why our spies were unable to warn us about the total collapse of the Frogs?”

“The Frogs make the mistake of concentrating all of their key military Communication Networks on key planets, my Fuhrer. The Human Empire used Corvette class pirate ships to delivery seven-forty Core Crackers to destroy those planets. Once those planets were no longer in play not even our spies could find a civilian work around. The first reports of the Human Empire’s march on the Frogs arrived today. At the same time as the reports on the capture of their home world. From the reports that I have read so far I can only guess as to the rest.” Von Strout sighed.

“Then guess Field Marshal. Of all my military leaders and advisors, I’ll take your word above theirs.” Ullrich ordered him.

“Blitzkrieg meine Fuhrer. That is the only answer. The Human Empire has perfected the tactics of Lightning War in ways that we or our ancestors ever could. When you add in their unorthodox manner of solving problems on the battlefield. The Empire’s military becomes an unstoppable force of nature. Even our technological advantage will be of no use against them.” Von Strout picked up a photo off the table in front of him. He looked down at the blood and gore covered Death Dealer depicted there. “Even then I’m not too sure we have the advantage anymore. This Death Dealer maybe a one of a kind or the first of a new breed. Let us hope it is the first.”

“Why do you say that?” Ullrich said as he took the photo from von Strout’s hand. “My God! What is he? A demon?”

“The local resistance fighters called him the Whitechapel Ripper. Our people have taken to calling him the Ghost, the Knife, and a few other colorful names. Though Death Dealers have taken to using the name, Ripper.” Von Strout picked up a file that Ullrich could tell was already growing. Across the front of it was stamped in bold three-inch-high letters ‘The Ripper’. “I have taken the liberty of starting a full fill on the man. It contains as much information on him as we currently have.”

“I expect that it will grow over the years to come von Strout. Assign a full team to this man.” Ullrich sighed and dropped the file on the table. “I expect that the Human Empire will take their time to consolidate their newest gains and fortify their new border with us. When they come for us. That man and men like him will be at the spear point for their vanguard. You are right in believing that he is the first of a new breed of Death Dealer I fear. Not even our valiant Gewittertruppen Divisions will be able to stand in their way.”

“Meine Fuhrer how long do you believe we have until they come for us?” Von Strout asked with real worry in his voice for the first time.

“Let us pray that it is not in our lifetimes.” With that Ullrich left the Wolf’s Lair to find some place to think. He did not know how his final words to his Field Marshal of Armies effected the man. As the door closed von Stout turned to face the rest of the General Staff and High Command.

“Meine Damen und Herren heavy hangs the head of our Fuhrer. He must guide our nation through truly unsettling times. We must prepare our Military to stand as a shield against our enemies.” Von Strout turned and walked over to the window overlooking the cityscape. “Let us pray that the Death Dealers do not come for us too soon.”

“Why are you saying that von Strout? Surely they would take time to consolidate their newest holdings and replenish their troops. It’s the next logical step.” One of the other Generals pointed out for the others.

“Logic plays only a small part in war, Hanns. We have reached a tipping point in history. For the first time in almost two-thousand years one nation has not only the resources but the population to conquer the rest of the Human Known Universe. We actually face an enemy that can rebuild the Human Empire of two-thousand years ago and we are not that nation.” Von Strout told them all bluntly. “If we are lucky Emperor James Nakatoma’s bloodlust has been satisfied for now. If not we shall face storms of blood and waves of rage. Everyone go home and spend time with your families. We’ll attack this tomorrow morning with fresh eyes and clear minds.”

With those words Field Marshal von Strout left the Wolf’s Lair. He knew that his wife and children were waiting for him at home. He decided to take lunch for the first time in months with his family. For some reason he knew that his time with his family would be very short over the next few months.

Forbidden City, Zarth FE9, Democracy of Horvath

Matriarch of Conviction Wan Qiu sat back on the Running Waters Throne with a smile. Her spies within the USSR and BID had reported the fall of those godless fools. “Finally, the Gorgonzola Empire is no more. Sadly, they couldn’t do more damage to the Human Empire. Not even one Shinigami battle platform destroyed.”

“But Great One, only a Shinigami can destroy a Shinigami. All of Human Space knows this one immutable fact. For centuries those powerful ships have been the bane of every Navy to ply the space ways. Not even our Mongol battle platforms can compare.” One of the palace functionaries said trying to placate her.

“Go stick your head in a waterfall Xing Hong. It’s not like I don’t understand that. Our Japanese and Anglo-American counterparts were always better at designing weapons of war. Those battle platforms are just the latest in a long line of our weapons that they have improved upon. I could give you a list that goes back to our days on Earth of the weapons that the Westerners have first stollen from us. Then went onto improve over short periods of time.” Wan Qui snarked with a casual wave of her left hand. “No. Our problem now is what will the False Emperor James do now that he has conquered the Frogs.”

“His only choice is to consolidate the conquered nation and replenish his military forces. To move against either the USSR or BID now would invited disaster.” Her Minister of Defense answered her honestly. “Now is the time we should strikeout against our longtime enemies, Majesty. I suggest a two-prong attack. We could retake both the Short-Tailed Beaver Woodland and the Black Wastes.”

“Don’t be a fool General Long Jin. As powerful as our military is they are no match for the warriors of the Velmaro or the Gewittertruppen of the BID. They would crush our forces in a matter of days the second we cross their borders. With our forces destroyed they would swarm across our nation and the last of the free Chinese people would fade into history.” Wan Qui snarled from her throne. “It took my family more than one-hundred years to rebuild our dynasty. Another seven thousand to secure that dynasty. I will not see it fall in my lifetime.”

She looked over at her Minister of Foreign Intelligence. “Minister Tan Bo what do you make of these reports of a new type of Death Dealer?”

“By all rights Majesty the reports from our spies should not be ignored. The Human Empire does indeed have a new type of Death Dealer. One that we fear can engage a hyperactive mode that we have never seen before with one exception. When a Death Dealer entered the Secondary Configuration mode.” Ten Bo told her honestly.

“Are you saying that the Empire’s Death Dealers have a member of their number that can willing engage the Battlefield Demon?” Wan Qui asked in horror.

“If the reports from our spies are true. Then yes. The Human Empire’s Death Dealers now have the ability to engage the Battlefield Demon at will. This is a logical progression Great One.” Ten Bo answered with a small bow. He turned to look at the Minister of Science and Technology. “Wouldn’t you agree Minister Fang Zheng?”

“Yes it would the logical progression. In the last thirty-years the Death Dealers have made fantastic progress in their ranks. The first of these upgrades were the Second-Generation Death Dealers. This was followed by their new Aerospace pilots. A true upgrade from the original assault class Death Dealer would not be that far of a stretch. With each new type of Death Dealer their threat grows by leaps and bonds. Not even I or my most brilliant scientists can predict their next evolution.” Fang Zheng answered sadly as he bowed to Wan Qui.

“Then our only chance at surviving as a nation to fortify our border systems and pray that the Human Empire takes their time with the other nations.” Wan Qui sighed. She looked up at her gather court as a feeling of foreboding filled her very soul. “Let us pray that when they finally come for us. They show mercy.”

On the other side of universe.

The massive ship moved slowly through the vast expanse of space. Like all pre-FLT flight capable ships this one was cryogenic sleep ship. It was one of the first ever colonization ships launched from Earth Prime following the last Great War World. Deep in its holds were 10,000 hopeful pioneers. All with dreams of settling a planet that was similar to Earth.

The planet Vinci, named after a famous scientist, is an earth-like planet in a vast solar system with sixteen other planets. Vinci is about 11.7 times bigger than Earth and its gravity is about 1.27 times that of Earth. A single day lasts 36.46 hours and a year lasts 233 days. The planet is made up of 12 continents, which make up 61% of the planet's landmass. There are 2 moons in orbit around the planet and Vinci itself orbits a white sun in an elliptic orbit.

The plant-like organisms on this planet are made up of millions of flowers. Their combined colors and scents make for an amazing spectacle, but they leave little space for other species, which is why there are only very few bush and shrub species. Fungi, grasses, and trees are non-existent outside of the plains regions.

The aquatic life too is full of wonders. Highly specialized plants, which closely resemble the corals of Earth, cover nearly everything in the not too deep waters. Their colors are bright and numerous, something they share with the Earth corals. But their shapes and sizes are far beyond anything ever seen on Earth or anywhere else humans have discovered. There is only one problem.

The planet Vinci was already inhabited by a technologically advanced race. The Elves of High Winds had claimed the planet long before Humanity ever left Earth for the stars. To the Elves this was their Home World, and they weren’t about to give it up to a bunch of humans out of time.

It would be into this unprecedented situation that Robert Wolff and the Fallen Angels were about to find themselves thrust. He would need to learn how to be more than a warrior. He would be forced to become the one thing he hated the most, a diplomate. A diplomate for more than just the human race, but the eleven race as well. Just like his great uncle, Chief Warrant Officer Robert Wolff would receive aid from an unexpected source at his side. But that is a tale for another time.

up
410 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Joan Eunice Smith

That is a long time since I have read that name. Nice to see an old Heinlein reference popping up.

Anne Margarete

Jess, I love your stories,

Jess, I love your stories, they always demand your attention to catch all of the surprises you include. Even though this saga ends it sounds like you might have several directions you could take a new one if you wanted, what ever your next story is I will eagerly read it when you present it to us. Thank you

that is a tale for another time.

that means more adventures ahead, yay!

Its interesting that none of the other nations even considered the fact that the Human empire only responded to the Cheesehead's attack, and wouldn't begin an offensive campaign. All they have to do to keep safe is just not start anything.

DogSig.png

and that...

tmf's picture

And that none of them thought of opening lines of communication with the Human Empire.
Open diplomatic and commercial link, then possibly mutual protection treaties.

Thank for the wonderful tale and the one to come.

Peace and Love tmf

Peace, Love, Freedom, Happines
Hope and Health

Great Point

smdani4mm's picture

that is interesting. All prepare for attack, but none try for the diplomatic option.

Dani

SmDani4

Wow multiple cliffhangers

Wolfjess, this was a great end to a great story. However, as Winston Churchill said after the Battle of El Alemein, "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

In teasing about what is to come, you have shown us the mind sets of four nations that see the Human Empire as a threat because of their own intents and attitudes; they aren't looking at the underlying history between the Human Empire and the Gorgonzola Empire; if they had they would understand that as formidable as the human Empire is, it is not an aggressor.

So in one corner we have the Human Empire which is a democratic monarchy and in the other corners, we have totalitarian Empires: Nazis, Communists, an absolute Monarchy and a cousin to the Amazons in the Valmoral Collective. None of the other Empires understand that the strength of the Human Empire comes from tolerance, democracy and the cultural and intellectual enrichment that comes from individual freedom; values that, ironically, are loathed in totalitarian, ideologically driven political systems.

You have done a masterful job in the this saga as well as Flight Of The Claymore in widening the Death Dealer saga away from a singular focus on Maiha, Now we have James, Terresa and Robert Wolff; the Death Dealer Saga is now a family affair with a true ensemble storyline.

I can't wait to see what your mind comes up with next for us.

St. Jimmy

Granny Lee's picture

It is good to see Saint Jimmy of the Islands still getting the respect he deserves :)

May the Peace and Happiness of The Goddess keep and protect you
Granny Lee

Nice to see RAH still getting respect

Great tale from an obvious history buff - see all the vintage WWII airplane and ship names. AND a fan of Golden Age Sci-Fi icon Robert A Heinlein classic TG “I will fear no evil”. TANSTAAFL! Sums up a lot of things, including your heroes.
Well done.

Nice!

I enjoy all the stories of the Death Dealer Saga. Just wish I could read the ones I missed that are "under review" at Amazon.

Thank you, Jess for sharing your talents.

History

repeating itself, eh? Now let's see how far that'll go for Robert. >:->
And having an APS battalion (+ extras) protecting the schools let Robert see that "his" kids are well taken care of.
Now as for the Elves, I can see that they'll sharpen their swords and arrow heads (or whatever they use today) for a few Earth wannabe colonists. That should make for interesting times, indeed.
As for the Velmaro empire, if we turn 9 of 7 around we'll get 7 of 9 from Star Trek Voyager. Maybe there's a fan here. :-)

Thx for another nice chapter^^

About those colonists...

If memory serves me correctly, cloning was ended after the defeat of the Amazons and the destruction of their military and high classes. Since the Amazons that remain are sterile, there should e plenty of available space on the Amazon home planets as well as the planets where they"enrolled" the local population to enlarge their DNA pool.

I've been reading the comments and realize something

wolfjess7's picture

As the header suggests I realized something reading the comments. This about about the Valmora Collective. The comments run the gambit from a distant cousin of the Amazon it does not practice cloning. The Valmora Collective is more along the lines of the Borg from Star Trek. This one nation is the only one that practices forced cyberization of it people. Though the inspiration for the Valmora came from Thomas Robert's classic series Robot Dreams. The series posses a set of questions of 4 books. Each books covering between 2 to 4 questions on the interaction between humans and machines. In book 3 Robert suggests a society that is based on selective breeding and cyberization of its populace. This one society was presented as the prefect blending of man and machine. Where society is ruled by logic and emotion is removed from all levels. It naturally fails at the end but I won't spill the ending. It was this society that I based the Valmora.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Indeed, though "Valmora" is a

Beoca's picture

Indeed, though "Valmora" is a spelling for them that I don't recall seeing - not that it would surprise me if that is how one of the other nations refers to them given the presence of plenty such lingual differences elsewhere in this universe.

A lot to take in here.

Beoca's picture

What happens at Vinci should be intriguing to watch, though we will see whether the humans on board are willing to relocate to an already-settled human planet. If they insist on something that isn't .... maybe something in what was Gorgonzola territory?

There is clearly some false intelligence between the nations as far as the peripheral nation of Snærbiǫð/Phoshixa (both Balzac and Stall know about it, but Stall apparently doesn't realize that Balzac does). Horvath seem like they should know if anyone would, but do not. The obliviousness of the other spacefaring nations (including Velmaro) seems clear.

Wan Qiu seeing James as a false emperor is interesting, since they seem to be distinct dynasties rooted in decidedly geographically distinct countries. But she is right that the Humans will not attack Horvath before other nations (due to lack of adjacency).

Interesting how

the other civilizations impart knowledge to something the Human Empire doesn't yet realize. The voluntary access to the COBRA OS is recognized as a step forward in Human technology. Robert knows what he did and hasn't realized the impact of it yet and Maihia intuits the impact yet doesn't seem to have the knowledge of it. I look way forward to the next series, Jess. You have an amazing imagination. Thanks

Clearly... Not a conclusion!

My5InchFMHeels's picture

This seems to open up "several" new avenues to how the galaxy may find itself in turmoil again. Seeing the Thunderbirds join the fight against one of those plotting nations would be interesting. How would they deal with the altitude and armaments. Surface atmosphere probably wouldn't be good for them, but upper altitudes before space, they could seriously turn the tide if they were to do a High Altitude drop.

As ya can guess... Really like to see Jordan, and the rest of the Thunderbirds join the defense, since it seems that the Human Empire is on the precipice of several attacks against them.

Thunderbirds or not, I'll be looking forward to the next installment in the Death Dealer saga.

Not too paranoid are they?

Jamie Lee's picture

Boy oh boy, those Empires aren't too paranoid are they? They all believe they're next on the chopping block and can only see one solution for their paranoia.

However they all are missing one crucial piece of information. One piece that would possibly put their minds at ease.

Gorgonzola had been attacking the Human Empire for some time, even though they were just hit and run raids. It was when the Cheeseheads launched an official attack that things started going south for them.

Which of those paranoid empires have been acting like Gorgonzola? Which have been practicing hit and run raids? They all are planning for being the next Human Empire target without a shred of evidence. It's their own type of Government that causes them to believe as they do.

Robert was wise to warn the Colonel about the kids, it might save other kids from learning firsthand what the new kids are capable of doing.

Stories of this nature are hard to put down once they are started to be read. More so if it's a wonderfully told story. More so if the characters are interesting and more than they represent in the story. Ripper didn't have to get those kids off planet and into a safer place but he did. Even after all the death he saw and produced he showed a kindness to those in a great need.

Robert Wolf a diplomat? Now that would be a story worth reading, more so because the only diplomacy he knows is the working end of a weapon.

Others have feelings too.