Emerging From the Cocoon, Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version
Emerging from the Cocoon
by Torey

Chapter 2

-----------

Chapter 2

Amanda found the Lancasters a very cold couple. Their personality seemed to fit the stately home in which they lived.

She held her peace and was as polite as she could be as they spun tales of what a burden Nicholas had been on them. It angered her every time they talked about punishing him for cross-dressing or acting like a girl.

"How was she going to handle it?," Madlyne Lancaster asked her.

"I don't know," she said. "I intend to act in his best interest. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it after we get home."

The truth is she didn't know how she would respond. All she knew was that she was going to provide a loving home for her little brother.

During her conversation with the Lancasters, she noticed her brother shyly, walking gingerly down the stairs. The cherub face that she saw when he was four was there, but very sad. The locks were gone from his hair. The Lancasters had his hair buzzed. They didn't want it long or looking feminine.

She smiled at him, put her arms around him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Nicki, I've missed you so much," she said as she hugged him tightly.

He spoke not a word, but appreciated the warmth. She held his head close to her heart. She hoped he sensed he could trust her.

"Are his things packed?" she asked. "We can't stay long. The girls are waiting for us to get back."

Mrs. Lancaster assured her Nicholas' things were packed up and ready to go. They helped her packed them into the trunk of the taxi.

The trip to the airport was a quiet one. She asked Nicholas questions. He answered politely. She knew it might be sometime before he opened up, especially after all he went through.

She made him hold her hand tight as they walked through the busy airport, just as she had her girls do.

"I know you're 12, but I don't someone to snatch you," she said as they boarded the plane. She also hoped it would send him a message how much she cared for him."

She spent most of the flight back across the country telling him about his new home. She also told him about her daughters.

"Here they are," she said, showing him pictures of the two girls. "They're your nieces–or maybe your sisters now. They're really looking forward to you coming home. I really hope they'll become your closest friends. Here's Kayla, you had hair just like hers when you were her age. You could have been twins."

She noticed that brought a smile to his face.

"You want your hair to grow back out, don't you?" she asked.

He nodded his head "yes".

"Wanna know a secret?" she asked him in a whisper. "I'll let you grow it any length you want."

He smiled again.

"This is Amber," she said, pointing to her other daughter. "Her birthday is tomorrow. We're going to have a double party when we get home, for you and her. I promised her she can get her ears pierced tomorrow,"

"I asked mom if I could get my ears pierced once," Nicholas said. "She got very mad."

She gave him a big hug.

"I think Amber would like it if you two got your ears pierced together," she said. "I don't think there's any harm in that. Do you still want to get them pierced?"

Again he nodded his head "yes".

She was amazed how short the flight seemed. Nicholas began to open up some before they landed.

Waiting for them at the arrival gate was her mother, Amber and Kayla.

"How was your flight?" her mother asked. "Nicholas you've grown since the last time I've seen you."

"You can call her grandma if you like," Kayla whispered to him.

They gathered the luggage and headed for the car.

"Let's go home!" Amanda said as they loaded into the vehicle.

She hoped Nicholas knew that finally he was going to be home.

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awwwwww

terrynaut's picture

I can tell I'm going to love this story.

Amanda sounds like a dream come true for Nicki. *sigh*

Thanks and please keep 'em comin'. :)

Hug

- Terry

Coccoon-2

Poor child, now that he's with his REAL family, no doubt his dour spirit will change and he'll become the sweet child he was before.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I hope that Grandma can behave.

Geeze, this just goes right to the heart of the matter. I think I am going to like this one, A LOT!

Gwen

To short...

Diesel Driver's picture

Like some of the other commenters, I think this is to short. Oh well, to late now.

Chris

Amanda said it all

Jamie Lee's picture

Amanda said it all when question by the Lancasters. Amanda said she'd do what's best for Nicki. Best for Nicki, not her, not the cold fish Lancasters, but for Nicki.

They should hold a birthday for two the next day because it's Nicki's birthday too.

Others have feelings too.