Misscast: A Gradual Feminization Story

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER ONE

There was something particularly exciting about starting my junior year of college. No, not the fact that I’m now 21 and can participate in bar-hopping for the first time (though it’s an added bonus). Rather, upperclassmen in DePaul University’s theater program have a significantly better opportunity to be cast in leading roles. And I knew that nothing would stop me from getting my chance to shine this year.

My name is Jesse Harris, and I’m no stranger to the stage. An active theater participant all throughout high school, I had booked several starring roles in plays like The Music Man as Harold Hill, My Fair Lady as Henry Higgins, and even Danny Zuko in Grease. I’m quite good with accents, I can sing, and I’ve been told I’m a very strong actor.

My friend Galen and I lived in an apartment about 4 blocks from the heart of campus. At DePaul, it was typical to do student housing for the first two years, and then venture off into a real place for your final two years. I had never lived with Galen before, though also being a theater major we had become quite close from classes and plays alike.

In my eyes he was a solid performer, but he was blessed with height and a leading man’s face which I knew would take him farther than his talent might otherwise. There’s no doubt in my mind I harbored a bit of jealousy towards him. We’d be gunning for the same roles, but his stature and charisma might edge him over me.

Yes, I’d gotten lead roles in high school, but my being was sometimes meant more for supporting roles. I was a mere 5’6” with a thin, wiry frame. I had short, blonde hair that barely stood out on my pale skin. Though I had the confidence of a 7-foot basketball player, sometimes my body didn’t reflect it. There’s a much larger market for men of my type as the ‘quirky side character’ as opposed to the strong leading man.

“Yo, Jesse,” Galen announced, barging into our apartment, “They picked the show for fall quarter.”

I leaped up with excitement, “There’s a rumor it’s gonna be Streetcar, yeah?”

“Nope. It’s actually a musical…”

“Ah-ha-ha…well that’s even better news for us — not a ton of great singers in our grade. Don’t keep me on edge, what’s the show?”

Galen said in his best European accent… “Well sire, they went with the esteemed The Phantom of the Opera!”

This was absolutely fantastic news! As a matter of fact, there are two male leads in this show — Raoul and The Phantom. Though I was prepared to duke it out with Galen for the lead, that was no longer necessary since we could split the glory. I already knew I’d make the perfect Phantom.

========

The buzz continued all throughout the week as word spread. Students signed up for audition slots, and in between (and during) classes you could hear constant rehearsing, tweaking, and judging of others’ singing.

I signed up for an audition slot that was towards the end but not the very last, as I didn’t want the director to have already made their decision on casting.

In our History of Theater class, I chatted with my fellow theater student Jocelyn Price. She was a gorgeous, tall brunette with a beautiful singing voice and marvelous acting ability. In my opinion, one of the best on campus.

I didn’t even need to ask to know that she was planning to audition for the role of Christine Daaé, the leading female role and the woman that pulls at the heartstrings and obsessions of both the Phantom and Raoul. Jocelyn will be perfect to act alongside, and her beautiful looks would be an added bonus.

“Good luck, Phantom,” she said with a wink while exiting class.

“And you!” I shouted out. Not that I needed the endorsement of Jocelyn, but her compliment had me riding high for the rest of the day.

========

A day later I constantly heard stories from my peers about their respective auditions. Galen too, who insisted that he nailed the part of Raoul. It’d really be something if both us were cast in the leading roles — we’d be the envy of the school and the de facto ‘power apartment’ of DePaul.

I took off for my audition down the streets of Chicago eventually into the theater building. It was a chilly fall evening, but the anticipation of nailing this audition was keeping me warm.

Inside, a few students were anxiously waiting their turn to sing for the show’s director and producers. One by one they entered and left, and I was direly curious to hear how they thought they performed. Most left with confidence, as theater kids tend to do.

Eventually, it was my turn and I walked through the double doors into the audition room with confidence blasting through the roof.

Behind a plastic table in three plastic chairs were the two producers, Jimmy and Sarah, both seniors with whom I’ve worked with in the past. In the center was a thin, balding man in his 50s with the thickest glasses frames I’ve ever seen. His name was Horace Allen and he was a prominent Chicago theater director. Not a celebrity per se, but more of a local legend. He was an adjunct Professor for the year, teaching a very elite theater directing and stage managing course for seniors, though he had also signed on to direct our production.

“Stand there,” Horace said to me, referring to a mark on the floor, “who are you auditioning for?”

“Phantom,” I answered. Horace and the producers said nothing more, but their awaiting eyes indicated I should start singing a capella.

My choice was to sing ‘Music of the Night’, and though I was vocally warm, I immediately got a darting look from Horace. He watched me as I sang and studied my body almost academically. Was it something about the way I looked? Was there something on my face? Perhaps he was intrigued by how my voice was much higher than most guys auditioning for the Phantom.

My high voice was, in certain ways, a point of pride. But it also was a slight source of insecurity. My intense dream to be a leading man was often held back by this — being a talented actor and charming presence often overshadowed the fact that I normally sang as an alto. I could deepen my voice to the high tenor range at times, but it wasn’t always the case.

Help me….make the music….of the night….

I got a very polite ‘thank you’ from Jimmy and Sarah. Horace didn’t say anything. He just continued to stare at me. Why was he doing this?

I left the room and returned to my apartment, where I broke down the audition with Galen. Despite the strange reaction from Horace, we both felt good about our chances at booking the two leads.

========

The next day Galen and I walked to campus together for class, and checked outside the audition room for the cast list. And there it was. Posted right on the door.

Several students were already crowded around it, but Galen and I pushed our way through, to view large font words with the leads.

THE PHANTOM — Noah Hackett
RAOUL — Galen Hébert
MADAME GIRY — Hannah Moon
CARLOTTA — Jocelyn Price…

I stopped reading after the lead roles.

Galen got his due… the role of Raoul. But where was my name? Noah Hackett? Seriously?? Sure he can act and sing but I’m infinitely better than him. How could Horace and the producers have chosen him to be the Phantom??

Next to me, Galen was rejoicing but held his tongue after seeing how distraught I was. Students next to him were patting him on the back, but he pushed them off to address my concern.

“Dude, I’m sorry…” he said empathetically.

I was too pissed to listen to him. The Phantom role was supposed to be mine. So I walked down the hall of the theater building where our next class was held. I needed to get it off my mind.

As class began, it proved harder and harder to keep myself distracted. The students were buzzing about the cast list, and our professor even joined in on the excitement. I sat alone, unable to participate.

“I’m sure there’ll be other plays, dude,” Galen said in another attempt to console. There’s one every quarter — so what if you're in the ensemble for this one?”

“It’s not about that… I was ready now to take center stage. The Phantom is an iconic role — and for the great Horace Allen to see my audition and think, ‘hmm, average’ is a slap in the face. God, I thought I nailed it…”

“So did a lot of other kids,” Galen added as the clock hit the end of the hour and everyone got up to go.

“I’m going to hang out here for a second,” I told him. “See ya back at the apartment.”

Galen nodded with a friendly, consoling grin as he walked off with some other friends.

For a few brief moments I was alone in the classroom with my thoughts and the whiteboard lesson notes left unerased.

But suddenly, in walked Sarah, the senior student and Phantom producer.

She took one look at me and with eyes open wide stammered out a, “Uhh, Jesse! Hold up!” as she sprinted out of the room.

Confused, I waited, until about a minute later Sarah re-entered… but this time with Horace.

Horace walked in such a theatrical way, almost gliding across the floor — half confidence and half sheer flamboyance.

“Jesse Harris…” he said in a near whisper, “what beautiful timing.”

“What do you mean, sir?” I asked.

He just smiled. Sarah chimed in. “You might’ve noticed we left your name off the cast list, huh?”

I nodded with a scowl. She knew full well I did.

“That’s because I had a vision, Jesse,” Horace said. “A vision of an extremely ambitious role for you.”

“…what’s that?” I asked. “I guess I didn’t read past the leads, but I assume I’m just in the ensemble, yeah?”

“Oh no no no… far better. But only if you’re up to the task.” Then Horace looked me straight in the eye and approached the student desk I was sitting at.

“Jesse, I want you to take on the starring role… of Christine Daaé.”

I was flabbergasted. At first I thought he was kidding, but Sarah’s deadpan face indicated he was definitely not.

“You… you want me to play… a female role?”

Horace nodded with a smile. “Your naturally high voice is not quite in the soprano range, but I saw something in you that just screamed ‘Christine!’ to me. You have such grace in your walk and in your features. Goodness, with some rehearsing along with the hair, makeup, wardrobe… you’ll make a lovely Christine.”

I was utterly speechless. Was I yearning for a lead role? Of course… but not like this! Never in my life have I been expected to play a woman — sure I’m on the smaller side, and I’ve been told my facial features are not the most masculine, but to convincingly play an iconic female role? Horace must see something in me.

“Well, Horace, I’m flattered that you think that… but wouldn’t I be better suited for an ensemble role, rather than —“

“Impossible.” Horace interrupted me, “I don’t want you in the background of this show. As far as I’m concerned, I need you as Christine or not in my show at all.”

This was a massive decision. I was already mad at this man for not casting me in a role I believe I was born to play — but then again, here he was offering me another leading role. I suppose…if the great Horace Allen can see the talent in me but applies it to an unlikely role… should I really turn it down?

“If you really think I could pull it off…” I said as I stood up, “…I will do everything in my power to turn myself into the best Christine you’ve ever seen.”

Both of their faces lit up.

“Oh, splendid, Jesse!” Horace said as he gave me a warm embrace. “You have no idea how lovely you’ll become…I have a feeling you’ll learn to connect deeply with this role.”

He released me and Sarah looked at me with a big, honest smile.

“First rehearsals start tomorrow in the evening. Full cast. I cannot wait for the announcement.”

The two of them stepped out of the room. Miraculous how quickly my luck had turned around.

I was now going to be a lead in the legendary Phantom of the Opera.

I’ll just have to approach my preparation from a new perspective.

========

The entire 25 chapter story is available on Kindle! Hope you guys like it!! :)

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNSV5MKN#detailBullets_feature_div

MCAST V3.jpg

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Are you planning to release it

Julia Miller's picture

On Amazon Canada? It’s not there yet and they won’t let me buy it from the US site.

Kindle books in non-US markets

erin's picture

Each regional Kindle company is operated separately. Sometimes it takes a day or more for a book available in one store to show up in others.

I know this from our DopplerPress publications.

Hugs,
Ein

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

There it is!

Julia Miller's picture

Yup, it showed up today on Kindle and Kindle Unlimited. Snagged it and I have something new to read now.

Just one question,

is the full story only going to be available on Kindle? If so, I'll have to wait until after Christmas, I've got no budget for Kindle until well after Christmas. I will still buy it after Christmas either way, I've been in theater all of my life so this one is right up my alley.

Yes!

The entire story is available on Kindle right now. Though I plan to share a few chapter teasers here over the next week or two :)

Got it on Kindle

Dee Sylvan's picture

Looking forward to reading it. Thanks Jennifer!

DeeDee

Thank you!

Hope you enjoyed it, Dee :)