TSS: Ch 4 - Magic at Home

Printer-friendly version

castle4.jpg

True Self Syndrome (TSS)

By Teek
© June 2023

Chapter 4: Magic at Home

The other side of the portal put them on the front steps to the Gibson house. When the portal disappeared, the front door appeared, and Mrs. Gibson unlocked it. Entering the house, the three went down to Mandy’s room.

The room was a typical boy’s bedroom. The bedspread was covered with dinosaurs, and the walls had spaceships. There were toys to go along with both of these themes, along with cars, trucks, and superheroes. The main colors throughout the room were dark greens, blues, and browns. Even the furniture had dark wood stains. For a little kid who liked rainbows and unicorns, there was nothing Dr. Parker could see showing that. Even typical boys Mandy’s age would have bright-colored stuffed animals or toys. There appeared to be an intentional motivation by someone to make sure the softer side of this child would not be seen.

Dr. Parker went over to the bed and put the box on it, “Amanda, this is a gift for you. When it’s combined with this small pink crystal, it will make changes to your room. Is there anything in this room you don’t want to be changed?”

“No,” Mandy firmly said without a moment of hesitation.

“Mrs. Gibson,” Dr. Parker said while looking straight at Mandy. “You and I will need to step out of the room and close the door before Mandy triggers the transformation.”

Mandy slowly opened the box, finding a simple gray stone. Pulling it out, she looked at all sides. There was a flat surface, and on the opposite side was an indentation. She felt around the spot. It didn’t feel any different than anywhere else on the stone.

“This goes in there,” Dr. Parker held the small pink crystal in her hand.

“I just put it in the hole?”

“Yup, it’s that simple. You need to do it and be the only one in the room when it happens. The magic will start when you put the crystal into the rock. Can I see the rock for a minute?”

Mandy exchanged the rock for the crystal.

“She likes rainbows, unicorns, Hello Kitty, and Disney Princesses, especially Sofia the First,” Dr. Parker said, twirling her index finger above the rock. “Her favorite colors are yellow and little girl pink.”

Mandy smiled and nodded her head up and down.

“Focus on her developmental level but have some stuff at biological age. Only change 50% of the clothes and toys,” Dr. Parker said before closing her hand and returning the rock to Mandy.

Mandy frowned at the 50% comment.

“Okay, Mrs. Gibson, we need to leave,” Dr. Parker said, heading for the door.

The two adults left the room and shut the door behind them. Mandy put the rock back on her bed and looked at the crystal in her hand before placing it into the rock. The pink crystal started to glow. A moment later, pink lights emerged from the crystal and swirled around Mandy like comets. Then they shot out in all directions, and everything they touched changed.

When Dr. Parker saw lights flashing under the doorway, she secretly wiggled her fingers and said in her head, “This little girl has been caged up too long. An extra few things will ease her pain. Add Stuffed animals and a doll house to match her heart.”

Mandy kept looking all around as thing after thing changed. She couldn’t recall the last time she was so happy. It only took a minute, but it felt much longer for Mandy.

When the light stopped flashing under the doorway, Dr. Parker counted to twenty and then opened the door, “So what do you think, Mandy?”

Mandy stood next to her pink bed with unicorns and rainbows. Her pillowcase had an image of Sofia the First. Several stuffed animals were on the bed and throughout the room. On the night stand was a Hello Kitty light and digital clock. Mandy kept slowly turning around in place, looking at everything. Half the superheroes had been turned into Barbies and baby dolls. Some of the spaceship toys were now My Little Pony figures. There were Polly Pockets and Fisher-Price Little People. The walls were a light pink with images of Disney Princesses hung on them. The curtains were light purple with hearts. All the furniture was now solid white. The dark blue rug had been changed to a light beige. In the closet were hanging bright-colored dresses and skirts. Under them, there were Disney Princess sneakers and black Mary-Jane shoes.

Mandy went over and looked at a two-story dollhouse before turning around to look at the adults. Her huge smile changed to lips squished together with her eyes scrunched down.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Mom started to approach Mandy but stopped when Mandy went storming to the other side of the room.

Mandy picked up the dinosaurs, not transformed into fuzzy cute woodland creatures. After looking around the room, she went over to her bed and threw the dinosaurs under it. Then she proceeded to do the same for all the other toys that were not changed.

Mrs. Gibson tried to stop her, but Dr. Parker insisted that Mandy had a right to do this.

Once none of her former toys were visible, Mandy focused on the boy's clothes. She headed for the closet first.

“Munchkin, don’t put them under the bed,” Mom commented. “Put them in a pile outside your door, and I will figure out what to do with them.”

So that is what Mandy did. Every piece of boy’s clothing was stripped from the room and dumped in the hallway. The drawers were opened and closed so fast that the adults barely saw what was inside them.

“That’s much better,” Mandy said as she re-entered the room after dumping the last boy's clothes in the hall. “Now it’s perfect.”

The three of them stood there looking around the room. There was no question now that this was a little girl’s bedroom, a very girly little girl.

“I like it, Dr. Parker,” Mandy said. “Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!”

While Mandy headed over to some Disney Princess Fisher-Price Little People, Mrs. Gibson opened the dresser's top drawer.

“Why are there both panties and disposable training pants in her underwear drawer?”

Mandy answered without turning away from her toys, “Teacher Susan says I need to wear the training pants on days I don’t make it to the potty on time.”

Dr. Parker magically made a tablet appear and tapped a few things before saying, “She did have one accident today. It must have been on her way to the bathroom. Otherwise, we would have noticed it.”

“So, did Teacher Susan put her in training pants today?” Mrs. Gibson looked at Dr. Parker.

“Yeah, I have one on right now, Mommy. See,” Mandy stood up and pulled her dress up to proudly show off her disposable training pants.

“Mandy,” Mrs. Gibson rushed over to her. “Girls do not lift their dresses and show people their panties.”

“But they’re not panties, Mommy,” Mandy countered. “There training pants. They’re like diapers but for big girls. They have stars on them that go away when wet. I have to try and keep the stars from going bye-bye.”

Mrs. Gibson got Mandy to lower the dress and go back to playing. Turning to Dr. Parker, “She’s twelve. She’s acting like she’s three.”

“Five- and six-year-old girls still do stuff like that, too,” Dr. Parker giggled. “My daughter, at her Kindergarten school concert, played with the hem of her dress while singing on stage. Everyone could see her panties. I was so embarrassed at the time, but everyone else just found it cute. I can laugh at it now, and it’s one of those precious little girl memories from her childhood. They grow out of that stage eventually. At the school, we still have to remind girls up to about a nine-year-old developmental level not to lift their skirts and dresses like that. Mandy’s only developmentally six.”

“But she has twelve years of experience. She should know better.”

Dr. Parker smiled, “Mandy hasn’t had twelve years of experience with proper girl behavior. Even if she had the training, she might still be doing stuff like that. We have found behavior like that is linked to developmental level. Don’t worry. She’ll learn.”

“Back to toilet training, ugg,” Mrs. Gibson looked at Mandy on the floor playing. “When Mandy and her little brother stopped having day and nighttime accidents three years ago, I thought we were done with diapers and training pants. She doesn’t even appear to care that she’s wearing them.”

“Older kids who need protection tend not to care about wearing it, as long as the adults around them aren’t giving them a hard time about being in them. They know they need them. It is us adults that look at age instead of need. It goes back to that ‘age-appropriate’ discussion we had earlier. It is better to focus on what is developmentally needed instead of deciding whether a kid should or shouldn’t have something based on age.”

The two adults watched Mandy play for a little bit before Dr. Parker asked, “Have you decided where you want to place the portal to the school?”

“You said it can go on any wall, right? What’s there will temporarily disappear while the portal is active?”

“Yes,” Dr. Parker confirmed.

“Mandy,” Mom went over to where she was playing. “We have one more thing to do. Then you can come back here and play. We have to decide where to put the portal you will use to go to school. Can you help me find the perfect spot?”

Mandy looked at Mommy and then back at Prince Charming and Snow White in their horse-drawn carriage going to the castle, “Okay, Mommy.”

Mandy got up and held Mommy’s hand. As they left the bedroom, “She hasn’t called me Mommy for a few years. I like it. Is that a side effect of the regression?”

“Most likely,” Dr. Parker followed them. “TSS impact is different for every kid. It could also just be part of Amanda’s personality that was not part of the Toni mask.”

When they reached the living room, Mrs. Gibson looked at a wall covered with pictures, “I think this would be the best spot. The kids know not to touch the stuff on this wall.”

“Okay, Mandy,” Dr. Parker got out the green crystal and held it out. “Hold this up against the wall where you want the button to be.”

Mandy took the crystal as instructed. Putting it on the wall, she held it there until it started to glow and melt into the wall. A moment later, a green stone like the ones at school emerged a little from the wall.

“Now, to camouflage it,” Dr. Parker thought momentarily before twirling her finger around. “Little girls in pretty dresses are picture perfect. Let’s see Amanda’s picture with the others.”

The green stone was turned into a picture of Mandy in her current dress, standing in a field of flowers.

“Cool,” Mandy shouted. “A picture of the real me is on the wall. Look, Mommy!”

“I see Munchkin. I see.”

Dr. Parker cast a spell to adjust the other pictures so Mandy’s new picture looked like it fit right in and had been there all along. Looking at Mrs. Gibson and Mandy, “Now, if you press the picture, it will open a portal to the school. I’ll test it to make sure it is working properly.”

Going up to the picture, Dr. Parker pressed it. A portal appeared, and she stepped through. A moment later, she re-appeared.

“The portal will stay open for one minute. If you want to close it sooner, just say, ‘Portal close,’ and it will go away.”

As soon as the portal disappeared, the pictures returned. Mandy went up to her picture and pressed it. Smiling at the portal, she said, “Portal close.”

“Look, Mommy! I did magic. We have magic in our house.”

Mom giggled, “Yes, Mandy. We certainly do, but you can only open the portal when it is time to go to school. Okay?”

“Yes, Mommy.”

Dr. Parker asked Mrs. Gibson, “Do you want me to portal you back to Mandy’s Elementary School to get your car?”

Mrs. Gibson thought for a moment, “No, I am not ready yet to go out in public with Mandy. I’m still adjusting to all of this and not ready for the questions that will arise. We’ll get it once my husband comes home.”

“Okay then,” Dr. Parker looked at Mrs. Gibson and Mandy. “I will be off. I look forward to working with the two of you. See you at school, Mandy.”

“Thanks, Dr. Parker,” Mrs. Gibson said. “Mandy, say by to Dr. Parker.”

Mandy waved and said, “Bye.”

As soon as Dr. Parker left through the portal, Mandy ran back to her bedroom.

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Common

Teek's picture

It is an issue way more common than society is ready to admit. Over the last 25 years, the market for protective undergarments for older children and teens has forced many to start admitting this is actually an issue. Billions are made by manufacturers of these products, yet the public image still is that only children with disabilities have this problem. Sorry, the math doesn't add up. Lots of kids without disabilities have these issues and need such products.

I had control issues to one extent or another throughout my whole childhood. But, I was also part of the disability community. In the 70s and 80s the challenges I faced, even in the disability community, were much harsher and cruel than what kids face now a days. We still have a long ways to go with acceptance and of this particular challenge.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Control of bodily functions (bladder and bowel)

Between 6 and 7 years old I regressed and lost quite a bit of bladder and bowel control, due to being the victim of [sexual] abuse. That is a mayor cause of my PTSD. And I had to use a plastic mattress cover until age 10. Even during my teens I would suffer the occasional bed-wetting accident. Mostly related to high [social] stress during waking hours. Even as an adult I been have woken up occasionally by the warm feeling in my crotch, usually coinciding with some dream. The last time I had a bed-wetting accident is also the last time I remember having a dream while sleeping.

Even now as an adult, I tend to struggle with body function control. Working freelance from home has made it pretty much a non-issue. Though when my body says "I need the toilet", that usually means "Right Now!" not "let me save this work". It does become a problem when I am out and about. As a coping mechanism, and to prevent accidents, I need to stop hydrating at least 3 to 4 hours before leaving my home.

I have experimented a little bit with incontinence products, but find the clean-up to be to much of a pain in the posterior for my comfort. So I prefer to manage by intake control.

I'm sorry *offers hugs*

I'm sorry *offers hugs*

I'm pretty similar, I still struggle with number 1. Essentially having only at most a minute to get to the bathroom. Since I'm not really able to control my intake due to my career I have to wear protective underwear, my favorite are l/xl goodnites with boosters. Thankfully there are better options for incontinence products it's still highly lacking. Many still being made for and marketed towards diabled/elderly. Not active working age adults.

Bladder control

gillian1968's picture

Our boys had that problem as well. Mainly when sleeping. Our grandson had the same problem, but he seems to have resolved it now that he is 7.

Gillian Cairns

She Certainly Is

Teek's picture

Mandy is very definitely being clear about what she wants. Will her Mother, Father, and Brother listen to her? Will they let her be herself once Dr. Parker leaves? In the next chapter we meet the Dad for the first time.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek