A New Style of Education - Year Five - Part 6

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education - Year Five

by Karen Page

Part 6

Hayfield Music School
picture created using DALL-E


Part 6
Very late Saturday 12th December 2009

When the final members of year four had been persuaded to go to bed, the ten members of year five had got to work on dressing The Lounge for Christmas. When they were in year four, they'd deliberately stayed up as late as they could, knowing it would delay the top year in dressing The Lounge. It took quite a bit of cajoling to get them out.

They had two hours of extended curfew, and they went through the idea that Emma had planned. The finishing touch were rows of stockings hung along the far wall, their male name on one side, and female name on the other. There was one for each pupil in the school.

Emma looked satisfied as they surveyed the result of their work. It was as Christmassy as they could make it. Christmas was a time they all missed their families, but it was also something they always celebrated fervently. Things had changed over the years. Even though the year lounges still existed, they were used less and less. They were now just quiet study areas or a place where the year could do something separate to the rest of the school if needed. With trips out on Saturdays, the annual Christmas Shopping trip had fizzled out. Pupils bought the gifts over the preceding weeks, and then, just as they always had, been stored for delivery by the support staff.

"Good work," pronounced Helen. "Okay, remember we need to be up in good time, so we are here before year zero."

"I'm going to be so tired tomorrow," moaned Brian.

"Today you mean," laughed Erika. It was now just after 1am on the Sunday morning.

As they were about to leave, Mr Hobson came in. "Wow, that is looking fantastic. You've done really well."

"Thanks," the year five pupils muttered. They'd not expected Mr Hobson to appear, and they just wanted to get to bed.

"Is it agreed?" David enquired.

"Yes."

"What is?" asked Emma.

"We are doing an extra concert in January. I'll announce it tomorrow to the school. Lewis, I'd like you and Zoe to come and see me after breakfast. Why I'm letting you all know now is that The Manor is also doing a different concert there at the same time. If you see anybody you know, please don't interact. We've been asked to not advertise we are part of a larger school group. Yes, I know we did that concert together four years ago, but that is what I've been asked to relay."

* * *

Helen and David were out of their bedroom at 6:30am, which was when curfew ended. They thought they would be the first down but were surprised to see Alex and Adelle stood at the lounge entrance, gaping at the sight before them.

"You're up early," Helen mention, making both Alex and Adelle give a slight jump in shock.

Alex recovered quickly. "Back at you." He turned and gestured into the room. "I don't think the room was like this when we went to bed last night."

"It's twelve days before Christmas. This is when the decorations go up. After church, we will all be decorating the school. That way the people who do the services, don't miss out. Mr Hobson will be announcing it all at breakfast."

"What time were you up to, doing this?" asked Adelle.

"Late. Year five gets a curfew extension to do this. I didn't think anybody would be up this early."

"I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep," admitted Adelle.

"Oh?" David enquired, steering the two young pupils towards one of the settees. David and Helen took a couple of soft stools so they could face the younger pupils. "What's up?"

"Nothing," she quickly replied.

"Last night she got a bad email from her mum," said Alex.

"Snitch," hissed Adelle, casting a hurt look towards her study partner.

"A problem shared is a problem halved," David quipped.

"I shared it with Alex."

"And? You still woke up early. Did you have bad dreams about it?"

"Some," she added reluctantly.

"Did you ring Hilda?"

"No, they weren't that bad. It was just worry."

"It was worry enough that I heard you from my bedroom," pointed out Alex.

"Perhaps we can help," offered Helen. "It isn't something dangerous or illegal, is it?"

"No." Adelle looked shocked that someone might think she would be doing something illegal. "Look, my mum was cleaning my old room, and she found some things she wasn't supposed to."

David and Helen looked at Adelle to continue.

"I had a few girl clothes. I thought I'd hidden them well enough, but mum found them. She sent me an email asking whose they were. I've no idea if she knows they're mine, or if she thinks I've had some girl in my room."

"This isn't the first time a pupil's parents have found a stash of unexpected clothes. For some parents, it is a total surprise. For others, it's something they've known about and are just testing you."

"How can you tell?"

"I've no idea. That is something the support staff help with. Hilda will be visiting your parents next week to deliver your Christmas gift. Perhaps she can find out then?"

"Did you dress as David when you were at home?" Adelle asked.

A smile broke over Alex's face, and he laughed slightly. Helen just touched David's arm to let him know she was there for him. Affection was kept to the bedroom, or other times they were alone. This wasn't affection though; this was understanding and support.

"All the time," David responded, keeping a straight face.

Adelle gasped in shock.

"David was born male," Alex informed his study partner.

"I feel a right idiot now," she muttered sullenly.

"Adelle Bishop," Alex said sternly, pretending to be shocked at her attitude. He then said gently, "I only know because David told me."

"But to answer the question I think you were asking. No, I never dressed as Jayne at home. I was beaten up a lot because I was different and hid away from life. I didn't realise I acted feminine until I joined Hayfield. My uncle was trans but committed suicide on his sixteenth birthday. I only found out he was trans after I'd started here. My mum bottled that memory up all hear adult life. Over the last few years, she has started to come to terms with things and has now done some of the learning she missed out on due to depression."

Alex looked down, not knowing what to say. Adelle asked in a small voice, "Has anybody committed suicide here?"

"There have been a few attempts over the years, but I don't believe any have been successful. The last attempt was four years ago. Students who come to Hayfield have had issues in their lives that mean they weren't succeeding. Some have had trouble working through the issues and think dying is the only way out."

"This is why talking about your issues are encouraged," Helen said, taking over from David. "Don't forget you are away from your parents. They don't have the address of the school. If there are issues, such as what Adelle has, they can be fixed hopefully without becoming something to get too anxious about. You might get an upset email, but you are at the school for another four years. If she is upset about it, she will get over it. When you start telling her about the concerts you've played in, and your achievements, it will all get forgotten about."

Alex frowned during what Helen was saying and stopped following the conversation.

David noticed Alex's change in attention and enquired "Are you okay?"

"Just a silly idea."

"I shared my issue," pouted Adelle.

After a few moments, Alex asked, "Was it you, David?"

"Was it me, what?"

"That tried to commit suicide four years ago."

Adelle's eyes opened wide and looked at David in horror.

"Yes, it was me," David responded, not bowing his head or trying to hide. "I learnt the hard way that bottling things up and not telling the whole truth to your study partner, isn't a good idea."

"I caused you issues, didn't I?" murmured Alex. "The day I learnt how to play pool, I asked if the real you were Jayne or David. At lunchtime there was such an intense discussion at your table. I've no idea what was being said, but it was like you became your own bubble. The support staff just told us to ignore it, but when we all left the room, you all stayed. I've never seen anything like it."

"You made me look at things from a different perspective. It was a good thing, so thank you. I was being open with my year, and asking for their support, which they gave."

Alex shuddered a bit. "I don't think I could open up to others like that."

"Don't forget we've lived with them for years. In some respects, they've become like family," said Helen. "At least you're mixing with your year now."

"What's wrong?" asked Alex gently when he saw Adelle looking shaken.

"My father committed suicide five years ago. I later found out he went to a deserted beauty spot and put a hose from the exhaust into the car."

"Oh no," uttered Helen, sadly, and pulled Adelle into a hug.

Alex looked stunned. It was something Adelle hadn't told him.

"The sad thing is he didn't get chance to say goodbye. My parents had split up and he never came to see us."

"What was your dad called?" suddenly asked David, alarm bells ringing in his head.

"Jason. Jason Bishop. Why?"

"I just wondered," responded David, wondering why this small detail was missing from the records and if it was deliberate because he'd been to Jason Bishop's grave. "It's just so I know how to talk about him to you."

"I don't know much. I remember some things from when I was younger. A birthday party and a trip to Cornwall. I remember him running after my younger brother's balloon when he lost it. When my parents split up, my mum never talked about him again. Any time we did mention him, she got angry, so we stopped. It's one of the things I want to do when I leave school is track his grave down and find out why he killed himself."

As they talked, Brian, Lewis, Jill and Anna had appeared. A few from other years started to roll in, but they must have noticed that there was a private discussion occurring as they all steered clear. Requests for help weren't something that happened every day, but they happened enough that most recognised them and gave the distance required. They knew not to eavesdrop as they would want privacy if they had an issue. The only ones that did show some interest was a couple in the youngest year but were moved away by some in year three.

"Let David and I know how you get on," Helen said, wrapping up the chat. "Also do talk with Hilda before you send your response. She is your support contact and will have insight from conversations she has also had with your mum. You aren't the first to be discovered, and I'm sure she will act as a great interface between you and your mum."

David took out his phone and clicked on the music streaming. He found the new channel he'd been emailed about and set it play, filling The Lounge with a new sound.

Alex recognised the music and looked at David in shock. "How?"

"I've no idea. I'm just told it took quite a bit of time to track down the artists to give copies of tapes and then get them digitised."

What David didn't mention was the hissy fit that Mr Hobson had when he heard the lyrics. However, after a few deep breaths, he agreed with Helen's argument that the pupils were a sensible bunch and weren't going to start shooting people, dealing drugs, or getting into gang warfare.

There were quite a few surprised looks and David turned down the volume and addressed the room. "Where Alex grew up there was a more localised music. It has taken a while to source, but here it is. I'll leave it running throughout The Lounge until breakfast. After that, normal service will resume and anybody wanting to listen to more can find it in the music channels. The lyrics might shock some of you, but it might help you understand the world Alex came from."

Molly then spoke, "I'd like to thank year five for decorating The Lounge so festively."

A round of applause broke out and the top year smiled and took the congratulations in the spirit they were given.

Breakfast on a Sunday is normally a quiet affair. No notices were normally given, as it was always a rest day. However, this Sunday was different.

"Two items for your attention," announced Mr Hobson. "Firstly, I'm sure you will have all noticed the amazing decorations in the All School Common Room. Sorry, The Lounge. Later this morning you will be divided into teams to decorate the school. You will get updates soon with which teams you are in, and what areas you are covering. Second item, we have been invited to perform a concert at short notice, so please be at orchestra practice in good time. Since the concert is the middle of next month, please present yourself from tomorrow onwards as you plan to go. For year zero, Dan will explain the rule to you."

After breakfast, David went to see Rachel in her office. She didn't have any appointments since it was a Sunday. Helen went off to The Lounge.

"What can I do for you?" she enquired as they both sat down on the settee.

"I have a concern about the profiles that the head students are given. They are supposed to be comprehensive, but I've found out certain items that would normally be there have been withheld."

"Yes, certain information was withheld from one profile. This was going to be raised with you after Christmas, but it seems you have found it out now."

David sat there stony faced, waiting for Rachel to continue. After a few moments of icy silence, she did.

"There was a concern that if Adelle discovered the fact when she joined the school, it might have influenced her. You and Helen knew about her father, and we hid that relationship from you so you wouldn't be put in a position where you had to hide it. Both Adelle and Alex have progressed and are now part of their year. If she finds out the details now, she will have support that she didn't have previously."

"But-" started David, but Rachel held up her hands.

"I can't show you the file as it contains confidential information, like I wouldn't show your file to anybody other than the others on the psychiatry team. However, she had lots of issues with her gender which she suppressed due to a non-conducive environment. She'd seen a councillor at her previous school, and they'd recommended to her GP action for depression. There were notes that if the root cause wasn't discovered, there was a risk of suicide. That risk has been greatly diminished."

"I presume there is a plan to tell her?"

"Yes, and it would be good to get your input. The idea is simple. Between Christmas and New Year, Hilda will take the two of them to the grave in Manchester. There are always flowers being added to the grave, addressed to Tina. When they get back, they will all sleep in their year room that night."

"Just so you are aware, I mentioned my uncle before I knew about her father. She also knows I attempted suicide while I was in year one. Oh, and one final thing. She had a letter from home. He mother found some female clothing and has queried things. I told her she was safe at school, as her mother doesn't know where she is. I also suggested she ask Hilda for advice. I planned to tell Hilda after we'd finished."

"That's okay, I will let her know."

David left, still feeling frustrated. He could see it from Hilda's perspective, that Adelle needed to find her feet before she was aware of her father, but on the other hand, it was so wrong. If he'd known he certainly wouldn't have mentioned his uncle. With a sigh, he made his way to find Helen. He knew she would make him feel better.

* * *

Come orchestra time, the school was decked out in Christmas regalia. As they settled into their seats and started to warm their instruments up, some pupils decided to add tinsel to their music stand or around their chairs.

Lewis stood at the podium and the chatter died down. "We will come back to the Bruckner later for that planned concert. There is a small music festival happening in Strasbourg, and one of the orchestra's that was going to play has dropped out. Hayfield is taking this opportunity to take that slot. The thought is that since it is the home of the European Parliament, we will be playing British music to showcase our homegrown composers. We will be including the Banks of Green Willow, so that is one less to learn."

"I've never heard of some of these composers," remarked Luke to David as they flicked through the music that Mrs Russell had just handed them.

"John Barry is really nice and relaxing," answered David as he leafed through his music. "He's more famous though for his film music like James Bond and Dances with Wolves. I'm sure we'll hear a lot of this in The Lounge later. Ooh, a nice bit of Eric Coates. Didn't you cover him when you did the module on BLM?"

"British Light Music wasn't my favourite study."

David talked in a hushed voice, so only Luke would hear. "There is a meeting tonight. You will be collected from your room just past ten."

"Let's start with the Eric Coats London Suites," Zoe said, taking to the conductor's podium. "There are three parts. Let's start at the beginning with Convent Garden."

"Covent Garden," came a few shouts.

"I did it again," she sighed, which probably led to some in the orchestra wondering when she'd made that mistake before. "I'm sure some of you have been to Covent Garden, but I can just go off what image this music gives. There is a sharp ditty at the beginning, and then we will be off. It goes at quite a pace. We'll go a bit slower for the initial run through and hopefully get up to speed quickly."

As they finished the second piece, Westminster, Luke turned to David, "When we went through Westminster it didn't feel as sedate as that."

"Hyde Park and St James's Park are part of Westminster. Perhaps this is where it is supposed to be rather than the busy streets near Parliament."

"I think my experience of Hyde Park was spoilt by that dead body," noted Luke.

"You saw a dead body?" asked Tony, the trumpetist from year four.

"No. I walked past a cordoned off area because someone had been murdered. I didn't see the body."

"Oh. How did they die?"

"No idea. Someone said the person had been drained of their blood."

"Wow, do you think it was a vampire?"

That sparked was a bit of laughter and heckling.

"Okay. Okay," called Zoe from the front, and the orchestra became quiet again. "Let's play the last one. We then have a lot of work to do on them. I want to get through the first run throughs, so you have some inkling for your practices."

This got a thumbs up from Lewis. She was beginning to become more assertive, and even though she was younger than most of the players, they gave her the respect as conductor. This would probably not have happened in a different school, having a pupil in such a position. Hayfield wasn't like other schools, and there was a more cooperative attitude. They'd all helped and been helped. It brought them together in ways that the founders of the school hadn't expected.

At ten that night, Jayne went to get Luke and Tina. She was pleased that Lisa was there instead of Luke. The tradition of going abroad en femme had been maintained over the years.

They quietly made their way to the rear staircase and up to the top floor that was deserted. It hadn't been used since The Manor had stayed four years ago. It might have been a longer way, but they knew it was a route that they wouldn't bump into anybody and have to explain why Lisa and Tina were breaking curfew.

"It looks like we're first," said Jayne, as they went into the secret basement area.

It wasn't long before a chime was heard, indicating the door was being unlocked and Helen walked in with Jill and Anna. Their request about being in the Beta program had been approved, but not in the way they'd thought. After the review of what happened in Russia, it was decided the team needed someone providing operational support, rather than feet on the ground. Initially Matilda had done that in Russia before Ingrid had taken over. This had been a new skill within the Beta team and one that would continue even after Anna and Jill had left. The team were still six pupils, four that would go out if something happened to the alpha team, and two who would run operational support, and liaise with any other pupil whose skills were needed.

"Today is a discussion about our trip abroad. You've all been on trips abroad with the school, but this one is going to be a bit different. The school has done different before, but this one is going to be a first for most. We will be playing our set, and other orchestras and choirs will be playing on other days or in other buildings. A choir from America will be also playing that night across town."

"The Manor?" asked Lisa.

"Spot on. You met two students from The Manor. Neither of them are members of the Beta team. Hopefully nothing will go wrong, but if something does, knowing the other beta members, even slightly, might make a difference."

Helen went to a draw and pulled out a large map of Strasbourg and placed it onto the table.

"This is where the concert will take place," said Jayne pointing to an area on the map. The hotel is here, and that is the target.

"The European Parliament?" queried Anna.

"Not the actual Parliament building but where some of the representatives have offices."

"So, what are they looking for?" enquired Tina.

Jill and Anna shared a look, as did Jayne and Helen.

"It's irrelevant," Jayne responded firmly, looking directly at the two youngest members of the team. It wasn't her strong glare, but still a look that showed she was enforcing what she said. "The beta team are there to support the alpha team if something goes wrong with then. We aren't there to replace them."

"The Alpha team's job is to get the information, whatever that is. Our job is to make sure if something happens, we can help get the Alpha team back," said Anna. "Jill and I have been looking into the security in the area, and have created a list of possible diversions, safe routes and problem scenarios. We also have a list of places that open late that is useful to check for people following."

"Excellent," Jayne said, pulling them up on her Beta tablet and skimming the details. "This looks very comprehensive. "Let's go through to the meeting room. We have a conference with The Manor beta team. It's important you all know each other just in case. Hopefully you will not meet while we are there, but if the worst happens, we don't want you tripping over each other. The two schools will not mingle while we are there as we don't want an obvious connection."

Helen led them into the meeting room, and they all sat around the conference table. A large television was on the far wall. She clicked a few items on her tablet, and the connection was made, and the television showed a similar setup with six students around a table.

"Hi Ruth," Jayne called out. "Good afternoon to you all."

"Hey Jayne."

"I hope you all managed to sneak away without too many questions."

"It was fine," Ruth responded. "Let me introduce you to my team. I'm Ruth. I'm beta one at The Manor. Going clockwise we have Michelle, Matilda, Mary Beth, Justine and Diane. Michelle and I are in year H. Matilda and Mary Beth are in year F. Finally, Justine and Diane are in year E."

"I'm Jayne and am Beta One at Hayfield. Next to me we have Helen, Anna, Jill, Lisa and Tina. Lisa and Tina are in year three. The rest of us are in year five."

For Jayne and Helen, the conversation flowed easily. They'd stayed in touch with their year at The Manor and Jayne had made sure she chatted every so often with Matilda. They were both their school computer experts and at first, they made sure they often had issues they just had to discuss with the other. As time went on things became easier and ninety percent of their chats were now about other things. The only ones Jayne and Helen didn't know were Justine and Diane, but they started to get to know them as the conversation flowed.

"Jill and Anna have created an analysis of cameras, security areas etc. All six of us will go over it later. Do you want to do a swap after? It would be good to have an independent thought on that," Helen suggested.

"Sure. We will complete ours this evening, before looking at what you send us."

When the call finished, they gathered back in the main room, around the map. Seeing The Manor beta team had not phased any of them. Lisa and Tina had been at the school for far too long and had got used to the unexpected.

"Please study it carefully." This comment Jayne made for Lisa and Tina. The four older pupils had known about the trip a little longer. "The biggest hope is that we do lots of planning for no reason. The upside is you should have good knowledge of the area for any sightseeing we get chance for."

"Is there anything specific we should be looking for?" enquired Lisa.

"Start with understanding the city, where landmarks are and the general way around it. Then get onto Google Street View on your Beta tablet. It's relatively new but does cover that area. Look for things that might be useful. Alley ways you can hide in, cameras that might spot you. I remember hiding in an alley while in Russia. It stopped us running into the military that was being deployed."

"You said you'd already done some work on this?" Tina asked Anna.

"Yes but do your own work first. Just like we said with the American's. Getting independent analysis just strengthens the overall picture."

"How many cameras?!" exclaimed Lisa, a few minutes after they started investigating the area.

"It isn't usual for France," Anna pointed out. "I'm sure it's because of the parliament. The Street View pictures are six months old. So new cameras will probably have been added."

Jayne turned towards Lisa and Tina. "There will be more up to date pictures nearer the time. If we do deploy, Anna and Jill will be our contact at the hotel. Their job will be to guide us. They will have a wider picture than we have, so it is important you listen to them if we do have to go out. I sincerely hope we don't."

After examining about thirty different areas, they called it a night and the two youngest were accompanied to their room. It was past midnight, so there wasn't much chance of them seeing anybody else. Yet getting caught past curfew was not something they wanted to have to give a reason for.

Jayne and Helen made it back to their rooms, and after Helen had checked for bugs, they dialled Ruth. She answered before the second ring. Michelle was sat next to her.

"How did it go?" Ruth enquired, knowing that there were two new Beta members on the Hayfield team.

"They are eager, but sensible. Thanks for agreeing to this meet. I know we aren't supposed to meet up when in France, but if something comes up, I wanted to discuss a place we could talk."

Michelle laughed. "It's funny you should say that. We have just the place."

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It is great to see a new

It is great to see a new chapter in this story. I always enjoy reading your work

Sarah

thank you so much

lisa charlene's picture

i love this story thank you so much for continuing after a year i had given up on it

Never give up

Hi

I never give up. But sometimes things take time as I'm writing in segments to make sure there is better consistency. This is a batch of 7 chapters which I hope to post once a week.

Yay! More Hayfeild!

Thank you Karen,

It is always nice to get new chapters of old favourites.

An Avid Reader

Welcome back!

gillian1968's picture

I really enjoyed the previous stories and am looking forward to more!

Gillian Cairns

Overhead

BarbieLee's picture

Funny I finished rereading this series several weeks back thinking it is one of the classics on BCTS. The variety of the story line you put into the original series was outstanding. I believe all your readers bonded with your actors and actresses as people they grew to know personally as the story line progressed. I'm thinking this new series may bring the same to your readers.
Hugs Karen
Barb
Sometimes the hardest part of living is to live life as it comes.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thanks

Samantha Heart's picture

For a new chapter of this story.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Thank you for continuing this

Thank you for continuing this.
I am looking forward to the new chapters.

---

I have only just realised how recent Jason/Tina's death was when David and Helen visited her grave. It can't have been much more than a month.