Knowing Yourself - Chap-16

Printer-friendly version
TFtSS-KY-A.jpg
Knowing Yourself:
Chapter Sixteen

by
Lilith Langtree
T. D. Aldoennetti

Most people long for another island

We entered the first class lounge where we relaxed for a while before boarding the plane for our short trip.

Soon we were up and it seemed like a very short time before we were down again. Actually only about two hours, one of which we lost to a time change. We collected our things and were out looking for our ride long before midnight.

 © 2010 by Lilith Langtree & Rénae Dáºmas. This work may not be replicated or presented in whole or in part by any means electronic or otherwise without the express consent of the work’s Owner (copyright holder), with the exception of the private and non-commercial viewing by the reader who is also the end purchaser. ALL Rights Reserved, including but not limited to ownership of Characters, final content decision, and more. This is a work of Fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this story are fictional and any resemblance to real people or incidents past, present or future is purely coincidental. Any and all images which may be shown within this work are taken through license under Corel with the exception of the title image which is Photo Credit to Irina Sheik. No affiliations, involvement or gender assignations through the use of these or any images of the subject or subjects contained within those posted images is to be implied, intended or inferred.
An Aldoennetti & Langtree Original.

One of Tanners friends has come to pick us up and we ride in the car about forty minutes before arriving at a low ranch style establishment which I presume is the hotel. It seems a bit small to be a hotel and I mention this to Tanner who tells me it is rather exclusive and caters to a very special clientele.

We are treated quite well and soon are in our rooms. Mine is across the hall from his and we will receive a wake up call about six so we may sleep for a while. Breakfast is at seven which seems a little strange to me since usually we would pick the time for our breakfast. It must have something to do with the exclusive and special concept. Another thing which seems strange is when we checked in, they had me place my right thumb on this little gadget like they use when you get a driver’s license. Then they didn’t issue me a room door card but the door has a similar thumb reader next to it and when I place my thumb on it the door unlocks for five seconds. There is another one on the inside, so the door is always locked except during those five second intervals when it may be opened.

The remainder of the night does not go well for me as I once again have some of my nightmares. These mostly are coupled with the new events in my life and one particularly nasty one occurs in which Emerson turns into my Dad and proceeds to beat the crap out of me again. I could feel every blow and just knew when I woke up I would be covered in cuts and bruises. The rib which was broken when I was about ten was broken again and that hurt.

The phone shrills at me and after I pick up the handset from the floor where I accidentally knocked the phone as I tried to answer it. I tell them I’m awake and up, thanking them for waking me. I put the phone back onto the night stand before going into the bathroom to see how badly my body has been punished. I don’t find a mark and my rib feels okay but the memory of the dream lingers. Especially since I seldom dream in colour and last night was in full vivid technocolour with the injuries in wonderful embellishment.

I’m almost afraid to use the toilet since I expect to see blood in my urine. If I haven’t mentioned it before, the sight of my own blood frightens me half to death. I’m whimpering as I both try to and try not to urinate. Everything comes out clear of blood and there is no significant pain except for the mental stress. I clean up a bit and get dressed after brushing my hair twice as long as normal. That, fortunately, is the only residue of my dreams. That and a slight crick in my neck. I suppose I slept on my head all night. I’m still tired.

I put on some light makeup and call Tanner’s room to see if he’s ready. He is, of course, and meets me in the hall less than a minute later leading me down to breakfast which turns out to be a smorgasbord of sorts. I load up on fruit with a little eggs, slice of ham and a glass of milk for which Tan gives me a scowl. He loads up on nearly everything including the potatoes which I’m not allowed to eat.

Looking around the room I see it is mostly men with about a fifth of those present being women. I’m the only one in a skirt suit. The others look like they are in some kind of jump suit and a couple are wearing webbed belts like you see the military wearing in the old movies. Some of them are looking at me like they are wondering why I’m in a skirt but no one is talking. This is probably one of the quietest breakfasts I’ve ever been to except for when I’ve been eating alone.

The others finish quickly and depart just as rapidly as they arrived. Tanner has nearly finished his breakfast which was at least twice as much food as I’m eating. I have nearly finished as well, the last bite of ham and a few swallows of milk and I may call breakfast a done deal.

We dump our trays as I follow Tanner’s lead and we are on our way back to our rooms to pick up a few little things before our meeting or meetings. We meet back in the hall and Tanner tells me to put my notebook and camera back in my room, “You won’t need those and can’t take them into the building anyway.”

I comply and return to go with him to our meeting.

~O~
“So you’re the famous Katrina? Glad to meet you. I’m Antonio de Carlille. Everyone calls me Tony.” He waves dismissively as he says the last, then grasps my hand a little hard and shakes it like mad.

“Take a seat, take a seat,” He says as he goes back around behind his desk while I’m investigating my bruised hand to see if it’s still connected to my wrist.

“Your photo’s don’t do you justice young lady. You’re quite stunning in person.”

My photos? How did he see my... Oh, this must be one of the prospective clients. Why didn’t Tanner tell me we were meeting a client?

“Tanner, you sly fox, trust you to pick all the pretty ones.”

“She’s smart too, Tony. Smart enough to work her way through the salad dressing you’re dishing out.”

By now my mind has once again started working and I put a situation to the name ‘Tony’.

“Are you the same Tony who Tanner called when we were having a bit of difficulty with a certain issue?”

“I warned you Tony...”

Now Mr. de Carlille suddenly becomes a bit more subdued and businesslike.

“She is, isn’t she?.. Do you think he really has a chance of pulling this,” as he indicates me, “off for any length of time?”

“Tony, don’t be rude. HER name is Katrina and SHE is a female.”

“Right. Right. You know what will happen to him if he’s discovered.”

At this point I’ve had quite enough, “Mr. de Carlille, you’re an ass,” I get up from the chair and begin to walk to the door. Tanner is following me a few moments later and when I reach the door it won’t open.

“You can’t leave until I buzz you out.” Tony snaps at us. “We’re not done here.”

I turn around and walk back, again with Tanner following as I lean over Tony’s desk, “Yes, ‘TONY’ we are.” I slap him good and hard. My hand stings but his head recoils from my slap and I know he is going to be wearing my hand print on the side of his face for a day or two.

I walk back to the door which still won’t open for me so I kick it, “unlock this door.” I say at the same time as Tanner says, “I warned you, Tony. But nooo. You had to do it the hard way. Happy now?”

“With her reactions, yes. With the slap, no but I suppose I deserved it for making her think I was such a cad.”

I’m still over at the door and I kick it once more when it suddenly opens inward and knocks me down. I scream as I fall, and the two men who just rushed in halt and turn to look behind the door even as I’m just landing in a heap. Tanner rushes over to help me up. Tony waves at them, “It’s okay, just a little misunderstanding.” They take another look at me and go back out closing the door again.

“If you treat all women like this, I’m surprised you’re still in one piece MR. de Carlille.”

“If all the women were like you I probably wouldn’t be. Have a seat, Kat. No more name calling, you passed my test.”

“You need to figure out a test which entails a little less physical or mental trauma.” I’m still working the fingers of the hand I used to slap him. I’m beginning to think I got the short end of the deal.

“I will happily take that under advisement. You slap rather hard.”

“I tried to put a lot into it... and, no, I’m not going to come around to kiss it and make it better.”

He laughs at that. “She has a good attitude, Tanner. Awfully young, but I see a lot of potential.”

“I told you, Tony, and she’s not as young as some who have gone through the farm.. You also saw her targets. She did well even though the report of the weapon and the recoil slide both frighten her.”

“How much does she know for certain?”

“Too much. She’s pretty smart.”

“HELLO. I am sitting here you know. You may talk with me and I am capable of answering.”

“That’s not a good sign, Tanner. She doesn’t take to authority well.”

“She’s new at the whole thing and doesn’t know to keep quiet while her superiors are talking.”

I lean over and blow in Tanner’s ear as he says that. He jerks back looking at me, “And she has absolutely no respect for a case manager. Especially her own.”

Tony laughs at my antic, “rough around the edges but good attitude and potential. When you get back from Europe I want her to spend six weeks on the farm.”

“Are there horses?”

They both look at me with a little confusion.

“Farm?... horses... chickens... dogs... cats... What kind of farm is this if it doesn’t have animals? I’d like to learn to ride a horse. Tell me you have a horse there.”

“Ah... It isn’t that kind of a farm, Miss Van Derholt.”

“Oh... So what kinds of crops do they raise there and how does being on a farm help me with my modeling?”

“I think I’ll let Tanner explain all that to you a little later today. Okay, Tan. I approve. Take her to the next level and stick with her today. I’ll talk with you some more tonight after we get in some of the results.”

“Thanks, Tony. Oh, by the way, you look really good with that red palm print on your face. Better not let Grace see it or else come up with a really good explanation.”

“I’ll have a copy of the surveillance tape made and show it to her.”

“Good luck. If you have a matching set tomorrow before we leave, I’ll know it didn’t work. See you Tony.”

“Not if I see the two of you first.”

Tanner escorts me to the door and this time it opens easily. We exit and the two watchdogs are still out in the lobby where they and the receptionist watch us leave. I look daggers at the one who slammed the door open in my face as we walk by and Tanner keeps a strong hold on my arm so I don’t pull away to slap the Neanderthal.

“Sorry ma’am.” he calls after me.

I brighten a little at that and nod my acceptance then we are out the second door and into the hall. We go down two flights and outside after dropping off my visitor’s badge. A car pulls up like the driver knew we were coming. We get in and are off only to stop and get out less than ten minutes later.

~O~
“Well. Is this the young lady we are going to process? Come with me dear.”

I look at Tanner and he just gives me shooing motions so I follow the woman deeper into the building where they take a number of photographs then bundle me down to a clinic where they take X-rays which come up on a computer screen... no film. They are quite interested in my ribs and some of my other anatomy taking a number of screens before they finish and allow me to go back out where they draw a couple of vials of my blood, nearly causing me to pass out. They even X-rayed my teeth like I was at the dentist.

Feeling thoroughly poked and prodded, I happily depart with Tanner and we go next to the place to which he had promised to bring me, the range.

It is considerably different than the one under the house. Here the targets look much more like people and they are able to travel in several directions as well as simply remain stationary. A couple of hours later I’m actually able to hit the targets while they are moving. I even had a chance to fire this strange looking pistol. After it went “pfitt” instead of “bang” I figured out the funny thing at the front of it is a silencer. It didn’t look much like the ones I saw in the movies but it did a good job. Now the only thing which frightens me is that slide part coming at me.

Aiming a pistol with one of those silencers on it is a bit different than when we were shooting downstairs at the house. After a half hour I’m getting pretty good again. It must be my imagination but the slide thing seems to be moving slower and I can almost imagine I can see the bullets. There were a few times at the house when I could have sworn the bullets hit the target before they left the pistol.

As much as I’m enjoying this, I’m getting hungry and tell Tanner I could really use a restroom and some food. We cut it short and leave about ten minutes later. We turn in the guns as we leave. For once I don’t need to clean them. After lunch he drops me off to take some tests which make me think of college entrance exams. I usually do pretty well on these things so I try to remember the few answers I got wrong several months ago and sure enough there are a few of the same questions which, this time, I’m certain I got right.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. Tony.

The tests took about two hours and when the three of us who are taking the tests finish Tanner is there to pick me up again. Now we go back to the hotel and he tells me to practice my Russian some more while he goes for another meeting with Tony. I’m just as happy, if I don’t see Tony again it will be too soon.

Russian still isn’t clicking with me. I don’t know why. I hope it isn’t too important for my modeling career. It’s a little early for supper but I’m hungry so I take my purse and go down to the restaurant to have a little something to hold me until Tanner gets back. They have fruit and some meat patties so I place a little of each on my tray and pick up my silverware and a napkin along with a glass of water then go out to the nearly empty room and take a seat.

I’m well into my repast when this man sits down at my table. I look around and note there are plenty of empty tables around. That’s when he gives me his pick up line, “Hi Laural, it is Laural isn’t it. Sorry I’m late but I got hung up on the way back from the farm. Supper looks good tonight...”

I interrupt him, “I’m sorry. I don’t know you and...”

“Oh sorry. Yes I guess you wouldn’t. I’m Gregory.”

“Mr. Gregory...

“No, that’s just Gregory. I’m your case worker.”

Again I look at him like he’s mad, which he probably is.

“Mr. Gregory, if you don’t leave my table I’ll scream.”

“That’s a good line. I’ll have to remember...”

I scream, good and loud attracting the attention of the two others who are in the dining room as well as a couple of men who come in from the hall. By now I’m standing and so is Mr. Gregory. I back away from the table to give myself some running room and begin to think many of the people here must be stark raving mad.

“Now, Laural. Enough’s enough. Sit down like a good girl and behave yourself.”

Mr. Gregory looks like he’s beginning to become angry. He’s about to learn that I am also capable of that. I slap him a good one which nearly knocks him to the ground. He regains his balance and points at me indicating to the two men who have approached our table to hold me.

“Laural you’ve got to stop that. I won’t be likely to give you a good report if you continue this.”

“I’m... NOT... this Laural person.”

“No? And I suppose you’re Anastasia?”

“Who’s Anastasia? I’m Katrina Van Derholt.”

“Oh, all right Laural. You’re really Katrina.” He says in a condescending way.

“I can prove it. Let me into my purse.”

He motions for them to let me go so I may ‘prove’ it.

I pull out my passport and driver’s license which bear me out. This confuses him a bit until he brightens and says, “Oh... I get it. Your cover.”

“Cover? What’s a cover?”

They are all looking at me a bit funny now.

“Someone call hotel security, I want these people arrested.” I call to some of the staff at the serving counter.

Mr. Gregory and the two men look at each other and then at me and smiles break out on their faces as they laugh a little.

“As soon as Tanner gets here I’ll have him prosecute.” Then as an afterthought, “and Mr. de Carlille, too.”

At this, Mr. Gregory checks the other two, “You know Tony? How do you know Tony?”

“My fiancee, Mr. Hamersley introduced us earlier today.”

“That’s easy to check. Phil, would you put in a call for de Carlille?”

One of the two large men goes off to do that as Gregory sits down at the table again, “Would you have a seat, Please? This may all be a case of mistaken identity. I’m Gregory. I came here to collect... er... to meet someone named Laural and since you were the only woman here wearing a skirt I thought you were her.”

The man comes back and whispers in Mr. Gregory’s ear. He glances up at the man who nods his head then turns back to me, “My apologies Miss Van Derholt. Your passport and driver’s license,” as he hands them back to me. “Didn’t anyone tell you not to leave your room without escort?”

“I’m a big girl, Mr. Gregory. I know how to walk to a restaurant and then back to my room without any accompaniment. If I want to go for a walk outside the hotel, I know how to do that also. I AM quite capable in that regard despite what some males may think.”

“How long have you been here, if I may ask?” He made it seem more like a command.

“My fiancee and I arrived late last night as he wanted to introduce me to a new client, Mr. de Carlille.”

“A new client?”

“I’m a model and we are about to go on a tour of portions of Europe. My fiancee Mr. Hamersley wanted to stop and see this new client as well as show me a farm while we were here and before we continue on to Europe.”

“And did he show you this ‘farm’.”

“No. We just went to a shooting range so I could practice some more and we went to another clinic to take more X-rays.”

He gets this strange expression on his face, “And your fiancee is Mr. Hamersley?”

“Yes. I’m her fiancee. What’s this I hear about you causing a problem, Gregory?”

“Tanner, old chap. Sorry about that. I thought this charming young woman was one of my new students. I’m afraid I came off a bit like a masher.”

“You tend to do that with the ladies anyway, Gregory. Katrina, this charming character is Gregory. Gregory, Katrina Van Derholt, one of my models.”

“Pleased to meet you Katrina. Sorry we got off to such a rocky start.”

“I’m surprised she didn’t slap you.”

“She did.” he says as he gently rubs his face, “She can put a lot of effort into it.”

“That’s what de Carlille told me this evening.”

“Tony? She slapped Tony? I hope it didn’t leave a mark or he’s going to have a rough time of it with his wife this evening.”

“He’s planning on taking a copy of some of the surveillance of his office with him as proof.”

“Smart move. You’re a brave woman to be slapping Tony.” he says to me.

“If someone insults me then they deserve to be slapped.”

“I see. Then I take it you have slapped Tanner at one time or another?”

“Yes. As a matter of fact I have.”

“She’s got a lot of spunk, Tanner. Thinking of the program?”

“Possibly. If we can get her to calm down enough. I’d hate to have her shooting the instructor’s just because they insult her.”

Gregory winces, “Yes. I’d certainly appreciate that before she comes to my parts of the course work. How did she do on the range, if I may ask?”

“Not bad. Took her about an hour to figure out how to handle the random movement and then she began to hit every one.”

“She’s already up to random movement?”

“We started there. She was X ring on static stuff at 50 so we thought it might be a little more fun for her.”

“Fun?? Okay. I don’t think I want to know. She doesn’t happen to be related to you by blood does she? Er... No I suppose not since she’s your fiancee. If she goes through the courses I’d appreciate it if they would take a little extra time to verify she doesn’t have any weapons with her prior to my classes.”

He turns to me offering his hand. I take it and he gently shakes my hand, “pleased to have made your acquaintance, Katrina, even though we got off to a rocky start.” Turning to leave, “Take care Tanner, see you later. Ah, that may be my wayward student.” He’s off across the room and accosting yet another young woman whom I suppose must be the elusive Laural because after speaking with her he sits down at her table.

I turn back to Tanner, “He’s a strange man.”

“He’s okay. Just usually preoccupied with his teaching.”

“What does he teach?”

“He’s a bit involved with a number of current events.”

“Don’t any of you ever answer a question directly rather than always making oblique references?”

Tanner screws up his face as though in deep consideration before smiling and replying, “Seldom, if ever.” He laughs which causes me to smile.

“All right Katrina. What brought you to the ‘restaurant’ unescorted?”

“Hunger.”

“Reasonable answer.”

“I’m always reasonable.”

“Within limits.”

“Well. Yes, I suppose it might seem that way to someone who acts unreasonably with me.”

“Was he unreasonable?”

“Let’s just say I was about to have him arrested but I couldn’t find an officer to do it.”

“Kat, you’ve simply got to give people a little more benefit of a doubt.”

“Why? My father never did it for me, so I’m twice as gun shy.”

“Yes... I’m sorry about that, Kat. It’s too bad he never took the time to learn what a great daughter he had.”

“He wasn’t, and isn’t interested in knowing. Let’s just say he will never be invited to my wedding, and I have no intention of attending his funeral which cannot happen too soon.”

~O~
~O~

to be continued

up
236 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Knowing Yourself - Chap-16

WOW! Does she need a cast on her hand?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

If she had a cast

If she had a cast on her hand she would kill whoever she hit. It's probably better she doesn't.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Hrrrmmmm.

She seems bright, and yet not very bright. It's getting a little hard to believe she doesn't know what's going on.

Not bright???

Diesel Driver's picture

She's a teenager. At least, not over 18 or 19 by now. Anyone here remember what that was like? I thought not. Me neither. But I did have my teenage granddaughter living with us for a few years and that gives me a teensy bit of insight. Teenagers jump to conclusions, make false assumptions and THEY aren't telling Kat anything. THEY drag her into this situation and then wonder why she acts in a seemingly irrational manner. THEY deserve a good solid SLAP! Poor girl. Sheesh.

Plus they are pushing all the wrong buttons. No one seems to be taking into account how Kat was treated growing up. A case could be made for her suffering a severe case of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. She needs counseling and understanding not more stress.

Chris

A Cast?

That would make her even deadlier.

Just a bit innocent for now, the penny should drop fairly quickly.

I really like this story.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

The comment about father made me

Think a little about the possibility of any reconciliation with her birth family. For reference, chapter 3 contains the first big chunk on the home situation of Mac. I'd say that I find it unlikely either her father or her brother will ever be on speaking terms with her. Her mother is, as I recall, a non-entity. And her sister set her up out of jealousy. And even so, the sister is the only one who maybe has enough substance after all those years, and is suitably contrite to be even worth trying to talk to.

Thoughts, opinions, anyone?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

All the more-

-impressive because she doesn't know. It's kinda funny her nativity in some areas and her sharpness in others. However, that really showcases just how smart she really is. Of course no one has sat down with her and tried to explain anything either. LOL!

On the other hand she has somethings working against her. One, she is Trans or at least is pretending to one in a profession where it isn't uncommon. We all know the violent reaction being discovered can cause. Two, she was abused badly as a child to the point of having nightmares and perhaps PTSD episodes. Not a good combination for an agent who might be put under similar stresses.

Great story.

hugs

Grover

Spunk & then some

Renee_Heart2's picture

Wow that girl MUST pack a punch with her slaps to nearly knock someone off there feet & to turn their heada almost the wrong way. KAt must be a good shot espicly if she can picture the bulit hitting the target before it left the gun. What ever this "farm" is it is some training course for what ever agency Tanner works for. I think what ever Emerson & his cronies have planed they are in for a suprise with Kat in the mix.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

"The Farm"

"The Farm" is the nickname of one of the CIA's main training facilities (the official name is Camp Peary). Given that the place in the story is called the same thing, I'm guessing that's what it is.

Great story!

lostshade

It's possible, tho, there's around a dozen in that general with specialized training courses. I'm guessing this one's one of the basic, so unless they are @ quantico you've prob. guessed right. Interesting she wasn't told nor haasnt been told where she actually is or that she's at a training site, not a hotel, but she's not likely to known difference as she's already mentioned once she's never been out of her home area in the City,

Satisfaction

Ah yes, the relief that we can sometimes feel at the death of another can be quite satisfying. However, Katrina maybe needs to munch a few "quiet world", unless, in the story, these fellows are deliberately calling her out?

One of the common hiring practices with some employers is to deliberately present a surprise, and sometimes irritating situation to a prospect to see how they respond. At Disneyland, it was once common to accidentally spill Coke on prospects to gauge their response.

Much peace

Khadijah

Sisters and Stress

terrynaut's picture

Like someone else mentioned, Kat's apparent PTSD would seem to be an obstacle to her becoming an agent.

As for her family, I agree that the sister might be approachable. She sounded like she might be okay anyway.

I enjoyed all the slapping. It might not have seemed realistic to me but I've actually been slapped. It can happen! Never mind the particulars.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Agents and Asses

My first reaction to Gregory was that anyone stupid enough to press on when he's told he has the wrong person was too stupid to be an agent. then I realized that the real world is not like James Bond. Considering the spectacular intelligence failures of the past few years maybe Gregory is the model for the modern intelligence agent.