The Secret Garden - Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version
”Cherry
 

The Secret Garden

Chapter 14: Curiosity

by D.L.

Copyright  © 2011 D.L. All Rights Reserved.

Inspired by the classic children’s tale by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

 

Mr Hobbs strolled through the garden carrying the lunch basket that had come back from the kitchen. The damaged items had been removed and replaced, and additional food packed for the guest.

The young girl intrigued him. As the headmaster of the local school, he knew all the youngsters in the surrounding area. He prided himself on knowing all his pupils by name, and even if he only ever addressed them by their surnames, he knew their first names as well. The girl had only given her name as Hattie. The only child he knew by that name had short brown hair and spoke with a lisp.

This person was unknown to him, something that he found most odd. Therefore, he had volunteered to take the food to the children in order to find out more about the mystery girl.

Being as silent as possible, he slowly poked his head round the door of the walled garden where the children would most likely be. As he approached, he could hear Hattie speaking slowly, struggling to pronounce her words. The teacher immediately recognised the speech pattern of a child struggling to read aloud.

As he entered the garden, he spotted the two children and came to a halt. They hadn’t noticed his presence so he stood and watched them. Richard was sitting against a tree. Hattie sat leaning against him and was holding up a book, struggling to read it out. Richard was looking over her shoulder and appeared to be whispering corrections into her ear.

Mr Hobbs smiled as he realised that Richard might be recovering the power of speech. If Hattie can’t read, and she is struggling with the most basic of language, then he can’t write her notes.

Slowly and quietly, Mr Hobbs strolled over to where the two children were sitting. On seeing him approach, the two children stopped what they were doing and became silent.

“What are you reading?” the man asked as he sat down beside them.

“‘Plain Tales from the Hills’ by Rudyard Kipling,” Hattie replied, “It’s not very easy to read, but it’s one of Richard’s favourite books as it’s set in India.”

“I’m not familiar with the author,” Mr Hobbs declared, “I guess he must be a newcomer. You seem to be struggling, I take it you haven’t had much schooling?”

Shaking her head the girl answered, “My mother started to teach me the basics before she died, but she could hardly read or write herself. When she passed, it was up to my brother to support us. In order to survive we had to live off the land. My brother refused to put us in the workhouse. We spent several years travelling the country doing what work we could. We could never stay in one place for very long, as he would always get into trouble.”

Realising she was saying more than was wise, Hattie stopped talking and refused to say anything further. A tear ran down her face as she thought of the loss of her mother, and the years spent with her brother. Rosie wrapped her arms round her friend and hugged her from behind.

The headmaster looked at the young girl. She was not somebody he had met before, and it sounded like her brother was less than honest. The Headley brothers had accused her of being a thief, their allegation may be more accurate than they realised.

Mr Hobbs looked at the boy sitting in front of him and he saw the determined look on his face. Richard was remaining silent as usual, but his eyes were fixed in a stare on the older man.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you,” the teacher stated before getting to his feet, “enjoy your lunch. I must get back to the shoot.”

“I think I said too much,” Hattie sobbed after Mr Hobbs had gone. “Rosie, I’m scared. It won’t take them long to realise I don’t belong here, and when they do, they are going to lock me up and throw away the key.”

“Nonsense, I won’t let that happen,” Rosie replied.

“I know you will try to protect me, but that could land you in trouble as well,” Hattie worried.

“If it does, we will leave. I always planned on disappearing and reappearing as a woman. I could have done it back in India, but I’m still too young to be able to live alone effectively,” Rosie said. “Come, let us go into our garden where we won’t be disturbed again.”

The two children picked up their belongings, including the newly delivered picnic basket, and made their way into their private garden, away from prying eyes. They spent most of the day gardening, the act of bringing beauty to the wilderness being therapeutic to both of them.

Figuring that Richard’s presence would be requested at dinner, they made their way back to the house making extra sure that they weren’t seen this time. Once back in the safety of their room, the children relaxed in the fireside chairs.

They were disturbed by the sound of footsteps coming towards the room. Hattie quickly dashed into the bedroom, closing the door behind her as a knock came on the door. Rosie, seeing her friend was safely out of sight, walked over to the door and opened it.

“May I come in?” Samuel Headley asked his nephew, who nodded and beckoned the older man into the room. He was followed by a nervous Gwen, who placed tea for two on the small table before curtseying and leaving as swiftly as she could.

“I take it Hattie has gone home?” he asked the child, who nodded once again. Both sat down in front of the fireplace. Samuel poured the tea for the two of them.

“I meant what I said earlier. I am not going to dictate whom you have as friends. However, I’m concerned about who this girl is, and where she comes from. She isn’t a local villager, and from what she told our friend earlier it sounds like she may have a shady past,” Samuel stated calmly. “I can only imagine how lonely you are, but I want you to be careful. She may be using you to gain access to your wealth.”

Picking up the small chalkboard kept for leaving instructions for the staff, Rosie wrote, “Hattie has confessed everything. I trust her implicitly. I know exactly who she is.”

“I hope you’re right and my concerns are unfounded. However, there have been a number of thefts round the estate,” Lord Headley stated. “Mrs Medlock keeps stocks of everything we buy and use, and they rarely balance. Now I’m not going to fuss if the odd bread roll or sausage goes astray, but we have had silverware and money go missing in the past. I like to give people the benefit of doubt, but I have previously employed staff in good faith only to have them turn out to be crooks.”

Richard simply nodded. Hattie had already told him about her brother. The two family members sat drinking their beverages. Samuel invited Richard to dinner, as expected, before leaving the child alone in his room.

After checking the teapot and finding enough tea to refill one of the cups, Rosie poured the remaining liquid into a cup and took it into the bedroom where Hattie was hiding. Handing the drink to the girl, Rosie started to strip her clothes and dress for dinner. Putting her best suit on and combing her hair while the other girl watched, she prepared herself for the evening with her family. Kissing Hattie on the cheek, Rosie left the apartment and descended the stairs towards the dining room.

up
206 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

ALISON

'this has become something beautiful to wake up to each morning and is really enjoyable.

ALISON

The Secret Garden - Chapter 14

Hobbs and Lord Headley will learn who Hattie is. But will Richard/Rosie's belief in Hattie be enough?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Miss Paranoia here.

So, are the staff going to search Hattie out and dispose of her wilst Rosie is at Dinner?

Nice writing

Gwendolyn

Again A Great Chapter

RAMI

Another great chapter. Hobbs means well. He is a good concenred teacher, But he is also a good friend to Samuel. I think it would be best, if they told Uncle Samuel the truth.

He woudld not suspect Hattie, as being the greater thief.
Also with Richard's support they could allow her to develop into a lovely young, upper class lady would could obtain a proper education.

Did Hobbs tell Samuel that Richard is capable of some limited speech.

Rami

RAMI