The Secret Garden - Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version
”Cherry
 

The Secret Garden

Chapter 16: Duelling

by D.L.

Copyright  © 2011 D.L. All Rights Reserved.

Inspired by the classic children’s tale by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

 

The ear-piercing shriek startled the three Headley family members. Rosie, Albert and Lord Samuel dashed out of the dining room into the hall at the foot of the main staircase, to see what had caused the commotion. Several staff members had also emerged to investigate the noise, including Mrs Medlock, Parker and Gwen.

Screaming drew everyone’s attention to the top of the stairs. The squealing came from Hattie, who was being dragged along the upstairs landing by her hair. The girl was wrapped in a towel, and was dripping wet. Her face and arms were bruised and she was being manhandled along by Horatio.

“Guess what I found sneaking about upstairs,” Horatio called out. “It appears the Punjab has a secret concubine. I bet he’s been hiding the whore in his room the whole time.”

“Unhand her, this instant!” The yell from an unfamiliar feminine-sounding voice caused everyone to look round, “If you hurt Hattie, I swear to god I will kill you!”

“So the mute can talk,” Horatio stated in response to Rosie’s shout, “Yet another lie from the wog. It may be part Headley, but you just can’t trust foreigners, especially Punjabis.”

Horatio then shoved Hattie towards the stairs, letting go of her hair. Losing her balance and toppling forwards, she fell and started to roll down the flight of steps, losing her towel in the process. Grabbing a baluster at the side of the staircase, Hattie was able to arrest her descent a third of the way down, before sustaining serious injury.

Rosie and Gwen dashed up the stairs. Seeing that Hattie was at least conscious and stationary, Rosie threw her jacket over the naked girl and continued up to the landing where Horatio had grabbed a sword from a suit of armour stood on the balcony. Rosie came to a halt in front of the elder boy, a foot away from the outstretched point of the weapon.

“Come any closer and I cut you to pieces,” Horatio threatened. “Who is she, and what is she doing here?”

“Her name is Hattie Jenkins. She is my friend and personal attendant,” Rosie replied loudly and confidently.

“Jenkins? Any relation to our thieving butler? Here to finish what he started?” Horatio shouted.

“Hattie’s his sister, who was kept hidden in the attics. Abandoned to fend for herself she has been hiding ever since. I found her and invited her to be my companion. I haven’t had any nightmares since sharing my bed. I don’t like sleeping alone,” Rosie confessed.

“Hiding and stealing food no doubt,” Horatio responded, swinging the sword towards Rosie, causing her to jump backwards along the balcony to avoid contact with the blade, “Harbouring a known criminal, not exactly honest behaviour.”

“Horatio, put the sword down. This is my house and I will decide who is welcome here,” Lord Headley bellowed from his position on the stairs, standing over where a sobbing Hattie was being comforted by Gwen.

Seeing Horatio momentarily divert his eyes in the direction of his father, Rosie took advantage of the distraction to disarm her opponent. Spinning and kicking the sword out of the way, Rosie spun round behind her opponent and landed a fist into Horatio’s kidneys, causing him to stagger to the side. Now in pain, but not completely disabled, Horatio swung the sword back at Rosie. The girl threw herself on the floor to avoid being hit by the sharp heavy blade, the weapon skimming over her body by only an inch.

Rosie had landed on her back in a controlled fashion, to avoid injury, and her legs where now either side of the young man’s ankles. In a swift scissor movement, she brought her feet together, kicking the legs out from under her adversary, causing him to stumble and fall face-first onto the floor.

Before Horatio or Rosie could get up, Albert jumped on top of his brother, pinning his elder sibling down. He was joined a second later by his father, who deliberately stood on the hand holding the sword, crushing the fingers under his shoe.

“Mrs Medlock, take the girl to my study and tend to her injuries. Albert, Parker, help me get my stupid offspring to his room,” Lord Headley instructed.

The Lord and the butler took one wrist each and lifted the injured youth off the ground, but not to his feet. By lifting and twisting Horatio’s arms, the adolescent was left dangling, his shoulders being carried at waist height. He tried to gain purchase with his feet to stand, but the elder men deliberately started dragging him along in a most uncomfortable position. Albert led the way, opening the doors towards the young man’s quarters.

Seeing that Lord Headley had his son firmly under control with the assistance of the two men, Rosie descended the stairs to where Hattie was now sitting up, wrapped in the jacket and partially covered by the towel, which had been picked up and wrapped round her.

“Sit still,” Rosie told Hattie, “I want to make sure nothing is broken before you try to get up.” Feeling the girl all over to check for injuries, she found none. “Go to the study as his lordship instructed, I will go to our room and fetch you something to wear and my massage lotions. I can help relieve some of the pain.”

Kissing the girl on the forehead, Rosie stood and dashed towards their apartment. She first retrieved her scented oils from the shelf on which she had placed them. Part of Rosie’s martial arts training included the use of massage as a healing technique. Next, she picked up a dressing gown for Hattie to wrap round herself. Finally, she took a blanket and the pillows from the bed.

The concerned child then went back downstairs to the study, where Hattie was now sitting wrapped in the towel. Throwing the pillows in a line on the floor, she instructed Hattie to lie face down. Carefully positioning the blanket to cover her lower half, but leaving her shoulders and back bare, Rosie began to rub oil into Hattie’s skin and massage her muscles.

Gwen stayed in the room, having been told by Mrs Medlock to keep an eye on things. A few minutes later, Mrs Medlock returned. Seeing the girl laying on the floor being massaged, the woman momentarily stepped out of the room before returning once more.

“I have asked his lordship to wait outside, I am not sure of the appropriateness of so much of your flesh being on show,” the housekeeper stated.

“This is his study. I thank you for preserving my modesty, but I don’t mind him being here as long as Richard can continue with his work,” Hattie replied.

The housekeeper nodded and left the room, taking Gwen with her.

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

D.L. you continue to amaze us

With this wonderful tale. We now can see that Rosie's secret is in peril as she clearly made her intentions known with that pompous idiot.

Please continue your wonderfully delightful story

Jayme Ann
The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Great chapter!

Tons of stuff going on, lots of action, excellent storytelling! I am very impressed!

Wren

Big Cliff -Great recovery

RAMI

That was a tough cliff to be standing on, but the fall while frightening to Hattie, was not to bad after Richard/Rosie's attempts to break the fall were fairly successful. I wonder if Horatio's idiotcy was a result of too much in-breeding. Albert at least has enough sense to act normally.

RAMI

RAMI

The Secret Garden - Chapter 16

Leave it to that ** to cause even more trouble. But somehow I do believe that Lord Headley will Honor his nephew's choice as he and his son have een the cad in all of it's glory.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sending him to his room is not enough. He tried to KILL people.

he is a racist ass. forcing him into the Royal Navy as a common seaman or into the Army would be too good for him.

Some time in jail might do or disinheriting the pompous jerk. He was not *defending * his home. This is his uncle's home and the WOGS home, not his. He is a guest and a criminally poor one as well. His attack with the sword AFTER it was explained who Hattie was attempted premeditated murder. Time out is for preschoolers, not college boys.

He hate WOGS, then make him the servant of WOGS. Hum, is this before or after England outlawed slavery and indentured servitude?

He should be locked up in shackles in the basement or a horse barn until his family goes home. Or shot like a common burglar.

He is nothing more than a cultured thug with the potential of a title. The perfect upper class Brit. Racist and presumptive to the core.

Thank god his brother is not as far along in the stupid racist developement. HE might be salvaged. Where did the ass get this from, his Public School? Would HAVE to be Eton. His mom? Or is he a self made prick? Proof positive that *good breeeding* counts for little or nothing. The emascuated WOG is far more of a man or woman than that jerk could ever aspire to.

-- grin --

Very moving tale so far. Very intense, well drawn characters.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Why Was Hattie Wet?

She must have been taking a bath in Rosie's room. Horatio must have been snooping in Rosie's room. Assume it will all come out.

Too true,

ALISON

'what was Horatio doing in Richard/Rosie's room.And John is right ,he is a prick--with ears,
probably like Prince Charlie's ears.What a great story this is? As the Brits would say,
"bloody marvellous".

ALISON

two secrets revealed

but the third, the existence of Rosie inside the boy, is still hidden ... for now.

DogSig.png

Now we see

How much of the family Richard really is.