Through the years: Troy's Story part 10

Printer-friendly version

He ran towards the hall, but it was still packed with kids going in both directions, so instead of fighting the crowds, he ran for the playground, shoving his way through the crowd. He knew he could make it past one of the wings and make a bee line for his classroom. As he passed some of the seventh grade room, he barreled into someone. Both kids hit the ground, the lager one grabbing at him.

“Troy?” His brother said. “Who the hell you running from?”

Bruce and Frankie came running around the corner and they slid to a stop. “Well if it isn't Troy's big sister.”

“Back off Bruce.” Vance said, getting to his feet and putting Troy behind him.

“Isn't that cute, big sisters is protecting little sister.” Bruce sneered at them. “Guess we'll kick both of your asses.”

--SEPARATOR--

November 24 1982
Northern California

The teasing he had expected. But they had no proof in their taunts. Neither one had seen him in a dress, so Troy kept up his usual routine. Even Vance had also become the target of Bruce's verbal assaults but his brother didn't relent. Both siblings acted like Bruce was wrong and it was working.

But things got worse for Troy one day as he was headed from the cafeteria and back to his classes. It was the one time of the school day where the middle and elementary schools crossed paths. He never understood why the older kids were closer to the cafeteria, or why the younger ones ended up with classes by the bus stop. His class was in the middle of the school. There were no real halls, just a roof with open sides between each wing of the school. Troy walked out of a side door to the cafeteria and past a few of the open eight grade room and paused when he saw a person moving about the room, stopping at some of the desks. Then he realized it was Bruce.

The bigger kid opened up a couple of the desks, then he opened up a backpack and pulled out something, what it was, Troy didn't see, but he did watch as Bruce put it into his coat pocket. Then the bigger boy pulled something out of yet another pack and pocketed that too.

A second figure stepping into Troy's line of site and grabbed at him. “What the fuck you think you're doing!” Troy's instincts kicked in and he deflected the grab, then thrust a hand into Frankie's chest, sending him staggering backwards, then he did the one thing that all smaller kids do.

He ran.

He ran towards the hall, but it was still packed with kids going in both directions, so instead of fighting the crowds, he ran for the playground, shoving his way through the crowd. He knew he could make it past one of the wings and make a bee line for his classroom. As he passed some of the seventh grade room, he barreled into someone. Both kids hit the ground, the lager one grabbing at him.

“Troy?” His brother said. “Who the hell you running from?”

Bruce and Frankie came running around the corner and they slid to a stop. “Well if it isn't Troy's big sister.”

“Back off Bruce.” Vance said, getting to his feet and putting Troy behind him.

“Isn't that cute, big sisters is protecting little sister.” Bruce sneered at them. “Guess we'll kick both of your asses.”

“Try it Bruce.” Vance brought his hands up in a boxers stance.

The bigger boy didn't flinch, instead he rushed Vance, swinging low into his gut. Frankie had rushed to Vance's side, passing Vance and grabbing for Troy once more, but the little kid was ready. He used the bigger boy's speed, stepping to the side, then twisted while putting a hand on Frankie's back, causing his assailant to stumble and roll on the ground.

Vance was sent staggering back, stumbling a couple of steps till he fell into Troy, causing both boys to hit the ground. While pinned under Vance, Troy watched as Frankie scrambled to his feet and Bruce stepped closer. A group of kids began to swarm around them, yelling and chanting. As Bruce's foot began to cock back, A voice boomed loud.

“CUT IT OUT!” A teacher shoved his way though the circle of on-lookers and pulled Bruce back. He cast a glance at the assembled students. “Go back to your classes, NOW!”

The group slowly departed. The teacher glared at all four of the boys in question. “All four of you, get up, we're headed to the principals office.” Vance groaned, but he rolled over and stood up, He held out a hand for his brother to take, which he did. The two Patterson boys headed to the office, while the teacher waited for Bruce and Frankie.

As the two brothers entered the hall outside the office, Troy looked to Vance, shaking just a bit. He had never been in enough trouble to be sent to the office. “Are we in trouble?” He asked.

“Who knows. We were fighting.” Vance replied. “But it was self defense.”

“Can I help you boys?” A friendly looking older lady said, looking over the large receptionist desk in the main office.

“Yeah. We were sent here by Mr. Carter.” Vance replied.

“Oh.” She looked up and into the hall and saw Mr. Carter walking behind two more boys. “Take a seat boys, I'll let him know.” Vance and Troy took a seat on an empty bench and Troy kept shaking in fear. She got up and was headed into the office as Bruce pushed the door open and stepped in, glaring at Vance and Troy. He turned to sit on the benches that the brothers were on when Mr. Carter Stepped in the way. “No. You sit over there.” The teacher pointed to another bench.

The boys sat down as Mr. Harper came out of his office, followed by his secretary. He was a tall, thin man. There was little hair on the top of his head and from one look at him, you knew he didn't tolerate trouble from anyone.

He looked at all four boys, shaking his head at Bruce and Frankie, then he looked at the teacher. “Mr. Carter? What happened.”

“They were fighting. These two against the Patterson boys.”

“I see. Well, come into my office.” He opened up a little gate that led into his office and gestured for the four boys to proceed. Then Mr. Carter stepped in. Inside the officer there was little in the way of furnishing. Two chairs were on the near side of the desk, on the other side was a larger chair. The walls were lined in pictures of the school and the different school sports teams.

Mr. Harper passed them and took a seat at his desk, then he looked to Mr. Carter. “Well, did you see what happened?”

“Well not the start of the fight, I just saw him.” He pointed to Bruce. “punch Vance. He fell into his brother. I think Frankie was about to attack him from the other side, looked like he had tripped.”

“He threw me!” Frankie yelled, pointing at Troy. Troy's eyes went wide and he began to think of all the stories that the younger kids get told on what happens if you get sent to the office. Some of them revolved around a paddle that was three feet long and covered in spikes. He knew he didn't want to get beat. But if he told the truth, he'd get beat from other kids around the school.

“Yeah! They started it!” Bruce pointed at the two brothers too.

“Troy threw you?” Mr. Harper asked, sounding not at all convinced. “That Troy, the little guy?”

“Yeah him!” Frankie replied.

“Okay. One at a time. Mr. Harper looked at Troy. “Who started it.”

Troy swallowed hard. He had also heard about what happens to kids who tell on others, but if he didn't, he was in big trouble for fighting. “They were chasing me and I ran into Vance. I didn't start anything.” He said, voice quavering in fear.

“And did you throw him?” Mr. Harper asked.

“Not really.” Troy replied. “I just stepped out of the way when he ran at me. He tripped himself, it's a basic move.” Troy said.

“And did you fight?” Mr. Harper moved his gaze to Vance.

“Yes sir.” He held his head down. “I was only keeping Troy safe from Bruce. I didn't even hit him though.”

“They're lying!” Bruce snapped. “They started it. I watched Troy pick Frankie up and throw him.”

Mr. Harper held back the laughter. “Young Mr. Millet, do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?”

“Well he did.” Bruce growled.

“Mr. Millet, I've seen Troy in this office once in the past five years that he's been here and that wasn't for fighting. You're in here what? Twice a month, if not more for fighting? I'm more inclined to believe the student I have less trouble from. But seeings as how I've got to remain an impartial judge, I want to hear from all of you.”

He looked to Troy. “Vance said you were running. Why?”

“They were chasing me.” Troy said, looking at his feet. He didn't want to be known as a snitch, but he knew it may come up.

“I see. And why were they chasing you?” Mr. Harper asked.

Troy looked up for a moment. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Bruce glaring at him. “I saw Bruce take something.” He said.

“Take what and from where?”

“I was headed back from lunch when I passed one of the eight grade classes. Him and Frankie were taking stuff out of packs and desks.”

“He's lying!” Bruce yelled.

Mr. Harper held up a hand for silence and then pressed a button on a black box that sat on the edge of his desk. “Mrs. Stevens, can you call The parents of The Patterson boys, Mr. Millet and Mr. Conway please. And can you also call Mr. McCoy to cover Mr. Carter's class please?”

“Yes Sir.” a tinny voice replied through the speaker.

“Sorry to keep you here, it's gotten a bit stickier then a fight.” Mr. Harper said with a nod of his head to the teacher.

“I understand.” Mr. Carter leaned against the wall and waited.

“Now boys, we can make this go a lot faster if you all start with the truth.” Mr. Harper kept his gaze on Bruce. “Were you taking anything from one of the class rooms?”

“NO!” Bruce yelled.

“Okay, I see how this will end. Mr. Carter, please Take Vance and Troy to the nurses station. We'll keep these two separated till the parents and cops get here.” The Principal picked up the phone.

“Cops?” Bruce asked, a bit worried.

“Yes. If there has been theft on the school grounds, then I have to inform them. Unless you'd like to tell me anything.” Mr. Harper put a finger on the cradle, hanging the phone up, but he held the handset at the ready.

“He's fucking lying.” Bruce pointed at Troy again.

“Troy, do you have proof?” Mr. Harper asked.

“He put it in his coat pocket.” Troy said.

“I see.” The principal looked to Bruce. “Would you like to empty your pockets now? If you give me a show of faith, I may be able to keep from calling the cops. The most your looking at could be expulsion, not jail time.” Neither boy made a move. “Think about it Gentlemen. You empty your pockets and the most you may face is expulsion.” He leveled his gaze on Bruce. “I know of your record. Do you really want to break your probation? You'll end up in the Juvenile detention facility again.” Mr. Harper gave him his best poker face stare and it paid off.

Bruce's face lost it's color. He put his hand into his pocket, then he placed a small cloth covered case on the desk, followed with a cheap necklace. Frankie stepped up and placed a few more items on the desk.

“Troy, Vance, please wait for your parents in the nurses office.” He looked to the other two boys. “Please sit, you'll wait in here.”

Half an hour later, Troy, found himself in the Principals office again, this time with his mother and brother. Bruce and his mother stood off to the side and Frankie's father stood on the other side of the room.

Mr. Harper had finished tell the parents about the fight, then he went into the why of how it happened, including showing the items that their sons had taken. Both Frankie's and Bruce's parents started in on their children, but Mr. Harper stopped it.

“Now I will tend to the matter of the fight first.” He looked at Maggie and gestured to her sons. “While they may have been protecting themselves and I applaud Vance in defending his brother, they still fought.” He looked at Troy for a moment, then back at his mother. “Even if the only thing done was a simple redirect of an attacker. School rules are unforgiving in this, to both parties. So Vance and Troy are suspended from school for three days, but with Thanksgiving tomorrow and no school Friday and today is almost over, that means they return next Thursday.”

“Okay.” She sighed. “Is that all?”

“Yes it is Maggie. Thank you for coming on such short notice.” Mr. Harper replied. He wrote out two slips of paper and handed them to each boy. “Boys, go collect your stuff and give these to your teachers.”

“Yes sir.” The boys replied, then they left, with their mother behind them. A few minutes later they were in the car and headed home. Maggie had been quiet since they left the office and Troy was getting worried that more trouble was about to befall them.

“Mom?” Troy asked. “Are you mad at us.”

“Not really Sweetheart.” She sighed. “I'm a bit mad, but not at you. I've always told you fighting isn't the answer. But I can understand why those boys chased you. So, no I'm not mad at you.”

“Will Dad be mad?” Troy asked.

“I don't know sweetheart.” Maggie shrugged her shoulders. “I just don't know.”

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Two words....

Andrea Lena's picture

Alright Vance!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Let me guess

Dear old dad will hear that Troy was fighting and think that he should be punished. Since it was used on Vance Troy should be in dresses until allowed back to school. What, Vance was fighting too!, ah , well, I guess I have two Daughters for a while....

----------
Jenna

Sounds like a bit of British school rules.

Sounds like a bit of British school rules. I feel if some one defends them selves nonviolently they were not fighting but simply demonstrating common sense. If you expect Troy to allow a much larger aggressive bully to hit him what is the sense in that. Vance was being a good brother by trying to protect his younger brother, two thumps up, the boy is learning to be a man. Would Troy being maimed or worst dead satisfy this dumb enforcement of the rules, what is the point any way? Appeasement of a violent person only creates more violence. I know very well from experience. I graduated from the been there done that and I only got a dumb T shirt school of injury and stitches.

The only bad question is the one not asked.
Does any one think this stops violence in our schools.?

The only bad question is the one not asked.

I agree

Raff01's picture

It's sad, but the school I went to had this rule. Every party involved in the fight got suspended.

I kinds understand it, but it's stupid when you think about it. What do they want? The victim to just stand there?

No Tolerance

RAMI

Rules are rules, which seems to be the rule today, and I guess back in 1982, and common sense is not used. At first when the Principal was talking to Maggie, he was going to use his discretion, and count the rest of the day as day 1, Thanksgiving day 2, and Friday day 3. I was wrong.

I think that Dad will, want to punish the kids, but that grandma, will convince him differently.

At least the principal paid both boys a compliment before, punishing them.

RAMI

RAMI

Rules

Raff01's picture

Yeah, they do suck.

I got suspended for three days back in the 8th grade, that was 85 i think. Got in a fight, but I was defending. One of the three days was a holiday, so it was extended to days the school was open. kinda like business hours.

rules

When I was in high school one guy shoved my face into a closed locker and they wanted to suspend me for ten days for that. The bully got off with his parents buying ten new tv's for the school and booster donation and I got off from my mom threatning to sue the school and the principal. The principal then arranged for him to be in my English class the next year to torment me and gave the teacher strict instructions to have him always sit behind me. Now the principal is a state senator and a member of the anti-bullying task force which he has sponsored laws protecting bullies from stricter punishments.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

wow

Raff01's picture

The kid who bullied me is now in prison for murder. Sorry you got the bad end of the stick

Through the years: Troy's Story part 10

Those bullies will cause trouble, later.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Bullies

Back when I was growing up in the '50s and '60s, the schools I went to had no qualms about calling parents for minor infractions and cops for criminal behavior. Sometimes while you sat there waiting to tell "your side of the story". Corporal punishment was allowed, with parental approval. Unfortunately, my parents didn't allow it. They were called when I was in trouble and, by the time they got done with me, I wished the school had punished me instead.

Now, with today's litigious society, Zero Tolerance is the rule and absolutely moronic behavior on the part of the school systems is the norm. I read of a case where a grade school student brought a toy soldier to school to show a friend and got expelled. Not suspended, expelled. The reason? No guns are allowed on school property and the plastic-cast soldier was depicted with a rifle. Another case had a high school girl suspended for dealing drugs. Her offense? Giving a Midol to a girlfriend of hers who was having menstrual pain. An over-the-counter medication, one pill, and she's out of school for dealing drugs.

The ZT policy also lets the school system do stupid stuff like that without any possibility of repercussions because they were "just following standard policies". So were the soldiers at the extermination camps in WW II. Did any of them get a pass? Why should today's schools get one? Because of the liars, errr, lawyers, that abound in our society that must cause as much chaos as possible in order to stay in business. Just consider this: create a town of only 100 people. You could get away with one grocer, one hardware store, one gas station, one mechanic, one cop, a volunteer fire/rescue department, one office supply, etc, etc. Until you get to liar...lawyers. All of a sudden you need a minimum of five; one for criminal prosecutor, one for court appointed defense, one for private sector plaintiffs, one for private sector defense and one to be the judge (if not two - one criminal judge and one civil case judge which would then make six). Imagine; five to six percent of the population HAS to be a ...lawyer. Then again, you'd probably get some other town filing suit against your town because you don't have any ACLU attorneys.

I've always wondered why Supreme Court Justices had to be lawyers. They're there to interpret constitutional issues. Why aren't they required to be constitutional scholars, instead? Oh, yeah, forgot ... they're political appointees, they don't have to be scholars, just true to political party dogma. Duuhhhh. Sorry about the lapse there.

As to the story, Troy and Vance became victims of the ZT stigmata. At least it's not something that will hurt them in the future (if the principal's comments are any indication). Bruce and Frankie, though, are another issue. I agree with Stan, they will be trouble in the future. With Vance's recent change of heart, he may deal quite well with defending himself AND his brother. I think his biggest issue will be the same as his dad will have when Troy finally comes out of the closet totally. Will Vance still defend him? Will dad be able to accept and protect him, as well?

Good story. Plan to follow this to the end.

Hugs,
Erica

I've always been amazed by

Brooke Erickson's picture

I've always been amazed by the utterly *stupid* "suspend all parties involved" so-called "solution" to fighting.

Back in the late 60s I was walking with a friend to his home after school. One of the guys who harassed me frequently came up sand sprayed me with tears gas from a tear gas pen (which it turned out he'd shoplifted from a store).

Unfortunately for him, I wore glasses *and* had pretty severe allergies. So I was used to teary eyes and a runny nose, and wasn't incapacitated (the glasses kept it out of my eyes.

after (futilely) chasing him for a bit, I went back to the school (against the advice of my friend) and reported the jerk to a counselor. My friend, in spite of his misgivings) came with me.

End result? Other than whatever the police did with the bully, *I* got suspended from school for several days.

BTW, my friend was correct about the other outcome. He'd said that people would avoid me and wouldn't talk to me if I ratted out the bully. As I told him at the time "so? It's not like they have anything to do with me anyway"

I suspect the whole idea behind such policies is to avoid having someone provoke a fight and then get off because they can claim that the other kid threw the first punch.

Sorry, but the "solution" is just as broken. The teachers/admin types have found a way to avoid having to exercise judgment, and thus avoid responsibility for making "wrong" decisions.

It still comes back to bite them, and worse, it shows the kids that they don't actually care to even *try* to figure out the right and wrong of the incident. Which means the bullies know they can get away with a lot because the victims figure it's not worth getting punished for on top of the bullying.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks