Too Little, Too Late? 55

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 55
Fossy (remember that, Jill, I told myself) looked shocked, and for the first time in all the decades I had known him there was a hint, a suspicion, of fear. There was a perceptible pause before he answered.

“Why do you ask, Stewart?”

The hard little man looked at his wife, who nodded slightly, and then leant forward, resting his arms on the table.

“Just curious. Sal and I have sort of grown into her work, and she’s had me on a few courses to get my own certificates. Helps bring a different perspective to things, sometimes. And that can be vital, right, love?”

“Aye, but what makes you think I might have been in the Forces?”

The rest of the chatter had stopped, and all except James were paying close attention, and I saw that Jim Forster’s was in very sharp focus indeed. Stewart smiled.

“If I can’t pick out a squaddy at thirty paces by now…yeah, squaddy. Not a bootneck…PBI, no?”

Fossy sighed once again. “Why, Stewart, why do you ask?”

“Ah. Not good, mate? Been there. Tell you what, you answered my question, so I’ll let you have some of your own, OK? Right, Sal, be off and bring me at least half a duck, and get something for yourself while you’re up”

I actually laughed out loud at that, and got a don’t-even-think-about-it nudge from Larinda. Jim visibly relaxed, and turned to his namesake for some quiet chat about the number of side dishes on the menu. Fossy sighed again, and slumped.

“I was a Fusilier, for a while. Did a stint…you were there, weren’t you?”

Stewart’s smile was a little twisted. “A few places, mate, some better than others. Doesn’t go away, does it?”

“Thought so. Look, not now, aye? Another time, later, maybe, but not here, please?”

He looked away for a second, then back at Stewart. “Is that what you meant by courses and shared work? The night horrors?”

I realised that my friends were totally absorbed, even Jim, though he was making a big play of talking to or at or with or through James. Sally and Alec, though, their eyes were like missile sights, locked on everything the two said. It was Alec who broke the silence.

“Yes, John, Fossy, spot on. Perhaps…shit, Jill, would you really mind if I had a chat with our friends here? Not official, but I just feel that we need to clear the air a little or this will be a crap evening, and you deserve better. Gents, the gents’, please”

Three down. Jim started up, and Rachel pushed him down into his seat. “No, love. A few minutes”

There was a tic to his mouth at that, and when I replayed what she had said, I had to wonder. Terry suddenly demanded the finest spring rolls known to humanity, and he wanted them here, and he wanted them now, and there was a little bit of laughter, and five minutes later the three were back, and it was smiles, and softer looks, and I saw Sally reach under the table for her husband’s hand with a look of utter and complete devotion in her eyes. The conversation was lighter from then on, and to my delight my shattered little man was suddenly acting as if the weight of ages that had bent his shoulders had taken a walk for the evening.

“How do you know John?”

I was buried in a plateful of seaweed at the time, so it took a little while to answer.

“I worked with him, Sally, we both did, Rachel and me”

Sally smiled. “Either of you responsible for his nickname?”

Rachel sniffed. “Employee confidentiality, Sally!” she said haughtily, before collapsing in giggles.

“Sorry, John, mate, and you are a mate now, yeah, but you really were a right cu– sorry, all, but it has taken us all a while to get to know him properly, and that didn’t happen in the office, yeah?”

John smiled, in the most natural way, and nodded. “Yes, and it has taken me a while to understand that. Sally here is…efficient, but hardly painless. Things have come out, but rather than that I would like to put more things in. More food? James?”

“I have had six plates so far, John”

Almost all of rice and nothing more, but it was still a lot. Karen gave Terry a look, and he just smiled and made a calming gesture. Leave him, he’s OK for now. And a seventh plate of egg fried rice was delivered to him. After the initial confrontation, it had become a truly enjoyable night, and towards the end Stewart and Fossy started to loosen up, and some rather salty anecdotes came out from behind curtains, or perhaps from under rocks. Practical jokes, foolish or downright thick officers, eating competitions involving the most unlikely substances…whatever had been said had opened up the ex-soldier like a sardine key. It was Rachel, though, that brought the evening effectively to an end. I don’t know exactly what she and Jim were doing to each other under the table, but my mother was actually giggling watching them, and Neil just sighed theatrically.

“I hope you two wash your hands before any more finger food”

And it was time. Even James could fit no more in, and so we bade him and his parents good night and trotted along to my place for the last of the evening’s social bonding. I noticed the pairings forming up as we walked: Mam leaning on Ralph more than she actually seemed to need; Will and Neil deep in conversation; Rachel and Jim each almost inside the other’s clothing; Sally and Stewart AND John arm in arm; Alec and Fossy more animated and vocal than I remembered seeing; and me, in my heels a little unsteady, but with the woman I now knew I loved more than anyone before or since keeping me in a straight line.

She opened the door, and I put the kettle on as Rachel…how the hell did she know where we kept our drinks? Gin, vodka, whisky, white wine, in separate glasses for different people, and it was good, and we were friends together. What was more, at no point did I feel that I was playing a part, not like I had all the long years that lay wasted behind me. I had put on a quieter Hawkwind disc, Ambient Anarchists, more mood music than space rock, and even Mam seemed, well, not to actively dislike it. Then Larinda lowered the tone with some ‘Bread’ from her own collection, or rather her part of our collection, and it rose up and slapped me in the face, once more, how much I loved her. Perhaps the alcohol had found its voice, but I didn’t think so then, and I don’t now. I caught myself looking at her, and then Mam looking at me, and there were no words, none necessary.

Eventually, much later, perhaps three in the morning, Rachel and Jim excused themselves, and like a double planet span out of the door towing their satellites, the brother, two shrinks, one marine commando and a very happy little birdwatcher.

Mam had already crept off with her gentleman friend, and never was that a truer phrase. That just left Will and Neil, and Larinda disappeared long enough to find our spare duvets and my camping mats, and then she simply turned and kissed me so deeply I nearly fell onto their bedding. She whispered into my ear.

“If I ravish you now, will I still get breakfast?”

I don’t care–well, I do, obviously, deeply---how female my mind is, but my body, oh yes, it responded in as male a way as possible, and the sight of her and me in lip lock put a grin on Neil’s face and left Will’s jaw on his chest. She dragged me out…and some time later it was properly morning, and some time after that she let me shower.

I found myself singing, some old Geordie song or other, and then I realised it wasn’t just an echo in the cubicle but my mother, singing with me from the kitchen, and then Neil joining in, and I was so happy I had to stay in the shower till the tears stopped.

Rachel was over at ten, with a few bodies in tow, or at least two brothers. One looked almost goofy in his smiling daze, and the other just relaxed. That was something that came in ambush to me: John Forster had never been relaxed, not as I had known him. The tension of the violent bully, the careful defensiveness of the failed shirtlifting soldier, they were what I was accustomed to. That morning, though, he was unlocked, unbound.

“Aye, Jill, that was a canny night---shut it, you two, I could hear. No, I mean those two lads, they know, aye? I haven’t had that for years. Even the other one, the old lad, he’s not stupid, is he?”

“John is far from daft. Just a little wrong, aye?”

Fossy nodded. “Aye, lass. Wrong choices, a bit, but more, well, skewed away from the world?”

I gave him my own nod. “So what was it about the other two?”

He looked off into his own private distance. “Alec…well, let’s say Alec’s gaydar is working well. That broke a bit of ice, in the end. I know what I am, Jill, but I don’t normally get to talk about it in a casual way. No. Casual’s not quite the right word. Normal. Conversational. What’s on the telly sort of thing, not ‘what’s it like when you…’ shite. And Stewie…”

That brought me a flat stare, a stare with a hint of pain in it. “I kept a lot hidden, me, hidden from you, from Jim, from everybody, almost from me, aye? Then, well, I saw what real bullies are, and real men, and fuck it, I didn’t want to play any more, aye? Stewie, he’s been there, he’s seen the same shit”

I realised he was suddenly getting close to tears. “That’s new, Jill. That’s important. Perhaps you can understand, you’ve been there too. Hiding all that time, playing that game, matching the arseholes sin for sin, and there’s nobody but yourself and a glass to talk to. You’ve had enough, I’ve had enough. There’s more…”

He stopped to dab at his eyes.

“Jill, there’s a world out there, and it’s ours, aye? Let’s go and grab it by the balls before it gets away. Is there more tea in that pot?”

up
122 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just been playing 'catchup'.

Hi Steph,
and I'm glad to be back.

Tonight was the first opportunity I've had to play catch up properly with TLTL,. I can't comment on all the missed chapters except to say I have enjoyed them and been moved by them. Your narratives have done a lot to enlighten me about different degrees of autism. I knew they existed but you portrayed some excellent word images that somehow gave a greater insight.

How the thought processes worked differently and how that reflects in an indivdual's behaviour. (Yes, it must be terrifying to know that somehow you'r different, somehow you don't fit in and to never have it explained to you during the growing years.) The way you see things and more importantly, the way you relate to things, (and people,). I'm beginning to understand the parralles between autism and transgenderism insofar as they affect our relationships with others and the subsequent defensive mechanisms we use to 'get us by'.

Well, I'm back now and feeling refreshed.

I need hardly have to tell you I enjoyed the holiday immensly even though I've done New York and ships hundreds of times.

However I haven't been to New York as a vacationer before and I've never had the time to visit John Lennon's memorial mosaic in Central Park.

For me this was a 'must do' and I actually forewent a mornings shopping just to squeeze in a quiet, private moment early in the morning before the crowds arrived. My better half understood and only joined me an hour later after I had enjoyed some quiet reflection.

t_John_Lennon_memorial_in_Central_Park__NY_.jpeg

This was a very moving and personal moment for me because I met him and the others several times when I was hawking denim jeans along the Cavern music-club queues in Mathew Street all those years ago.

You are no doubt aware of the word in the Mosaic 'IMAGINE' and that means a lot to me.

Nice to be back though, nice to be reading your (and other) stories on BC, (like Bike).

Hugs, oh and of course though it needs no saying ... peace man.

Bev

XZXX

bev_1.jpg

I think I can understand...

Andrea Lena's picture

...because I don't want to 'play anymore' either. Some bullies have names like tradition and expectation and dogma. Some bullies are not cowards or mean, but stuck in the past in ignorance, like convention or bias. And some of us just don't have the strength to fight. I can't say I've had it any worse than anyone else when it comes to seeking and missing acceptability, but neither can I say I've had it much better. What a terrific story; filled with rich if flawed, damaged characters that show us so much about ourselves? Well, they show me a lot of myself, I suppose. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Hi Andrea.

This is NOT intended as a crtitisim bacause I also used to think of my transgenderism as a flaw.

Not any more though. For sixty odd years I used to see my transgenderism as a flaw. Now that I am out and public, I see my particular transgenderism as an added dimension to my nature. A dimension that gives me extra enjoyment an added fulfilment to my life.

Now I refuse to see such things as transgenderism as a flaw and where I can, I try to persuade others that it's a benefit; an added characteristic that gives us a whole host of additional perspectives to brighten up our lives.

Yes, I fought tooth and nail as a kid to try and live as I wanted to but only now, sixty years on have I at last achieved some sort of inner peace to go about as I wish, doing as I wish, and dressing as I wish.

Bev_in_Chinatown_6_Oct_1st.jpg

I refuse to be cowed down any more.

Bev.

XZXX

bev_1.jpg

Hi Bev...once again...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I meant one thing and said something entirely different. I actually meant flawed as in human and real, not as transgendered. I love all your pictures, by the way. I wish I could look as nice as you without resorting to cartoons or someone else' picture. Nice smile as well!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Drea

I understood what you meant, and took it in that way.

Thank you Steph,

'and thank you also to Beverly and 'Drea,we are all in the TLTL bracket,
and for me it has given a happiness that I never knew existed,until now.
As always,you have dealt with the realism of life and I cannot thank
you enough,your stories are a joy to read and so uplifting.

ALISON

Baby I'm a Want You

kristina l s's picture

Damn, David Gates, haven't thought of that lot for a while, classic soppy beautiful pop in the best sense. Which sorta fits with this story. Don't take that the wrong way. It's the arrangements and the sentiment done with style.

Kris

Wow...

Andrea Lena's picture

...used to be my life was just emotions passing by...feeling all the while and never really knowing why...
Music is such a tremendously precious connection for life, and that's really a song, soppy as it is, that expresses a lot of what I feel at least as a trans-woman. Stephanie pulls those emotions out of me as well.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Nightmares

joannebarbarella's picture

They come in many shapes and sizes and the courage to face them comes in different packets too. Sometimes it really is "Too Little Too Late" without the question mark.

However, your characters are not going quietly into the dark night. Dylan Thomas might have said it more poetically, but "Is there more tea in that pot?" is very effective,

Joanne

Tea

It is a theme in this one. The cup that restores.