The Revenant - Part 6 - Darkness Rising

Printer-friendly version

Part 6

Darkness Rising

Marty tries shopping and has a little girly fun at a "Shadow's" expense...
Not quite the tale I intended but ran onto a major block. Thank you to all of those who have supported and helped me. More will come and we will meet more of the protagonists soon.

* * *

Well a feminine bubble bath was quite an experience. It was not like the baths and showers I had before, it was somehow more sensual (and I don’t mean like that!) I came out of the bath and gently patted myself down. My experience with the dreaded bed bath had permanently cured me of wanting to rub myself down with the towel. Giving the bath a quick rinse, I wrapped myself in a soft towelling gown and walked barefoot into my bedroom.

Looking through the wardrobes, I wondered about the spirit that had occupied this body before I ended up here. Fashion was something that happened to other people but I had a crash course in being a girl to get through. Most of the clothes were fairly new, I got the impression that I had moved here recently (duh) and updated my wardrobe with some newer, nicer clothes. Oh heck, I hoped the shoes weren’t too new, I needed a little practice in heels… Well who’s going to know if I try here? Obvious when I thought about it. Selecting a plain white ensemble for my lingerie, I added a white cotton dress and low 2” heels. Add a cardigan and I’m good to go!

Go where? Oh gosh, I forgot about food! Scurrying into the kitchen I found tins and jars galore but nothing fresh. Shopping, hmm… The old male me made the obvious save — Internet shopping doofus! By diligent use of the Internet and a local delivery service I ordered fresh bread, veg and some meat for tonight’s meal. I knew that I had to get out and about eventually, report to work and just visit the big bad world in general.

That little task out of the way, I headed to the documents I had on the laptop. There were a few notes about the new job and I began to get some background about my new role. Not case notes of course but the job description was rather more than just paper shuffling. Compared to the old Marty, it looked like this may be interesting. The office was in the centre of town, not too far from the University and shopping centres so it looked like I did not need to drive at first just use the tram or bus.

The shopping turned up later in the afternoon, a middle aged delivery man bringing a small plastic box filled with assorted goodies. He gave me a bit of a “once over” but nothing that weirded me out, strange I didn’t even feel uncomfortable at the sight of him. Signing for the delivery, I emptied the box and placed the meat in the fridge, vegetables in the rack. I decided on a simple Bolognese for tonight’s meal, nothing too difficult but simple enough to be satisfying. I found a nice Italian red in the wine rack so the option was there if the moment felt right. I was determined to be a good hostess, Angela deserved that at least for all the care she had shown me while I was stuck in the Hospital.

* * *

Seven thirty and the doorbell chimed! Checking the fisheye on the door, I was Angela waiting and quickly flung it wide.

“Angela! Hi please come in and make yourself at home”

“Sure Hun, how’s your first day outside been?”

“Well I’ve just used the Internet and the balcony so far. I know I’ve got to get out and active again. I thought go for a walk about town tomorrow, just to get back into the swing of things. Then report to work and update them with Dr Bains advice about getting back to work.”

“Oh yes, I’ve brought you your letter. You know you should work part time for a few weeks on limited hours. You still have to report to Outpatients for assessment but retail therapy counts too Martine.”

“Sure, oh I’m forgetting my manners! Can I offer you a drink Angela?”

“Thanks, coffee will be fine. I’ve driven over so I’ll lay off the alcohol for tonight.”

“No problem, please take a seat and I’ll be right back.”

While the pasta and sauce finished, Angela and I talked about all manner of things like the friends I hoped we were becoming. Angela had moved up here last year to be nearer her family after her father had become ill. She had been a nurse for a number of years entering the profession straight from college. Given her nature, I felt it was a true calling and for her to do anything else would have been a tragedy.

The meal was OK, I thought I needed more practice although Angela was nice enough to complement me for my efforts. She told me that my car would be available on the Friday and I just needed to take my I/d and paperwork. I worried about the expense, remembering horror stories about  £100 per day storage fees but that was for vehicles that were impounded and not witness/victim’s property so I had little to worry about on that score.

We took in a movie, a romantic comedy, rather a change from my normal viewing but I suppose things change don’t they. It appeared I shared some taste with Martine, the DVD rack had several films that I enjoyed too. “You’ve got Mail”, “Bicentennial Man” and “Stardust”, hey any film with Robert DeNiro in a dress has something going for it! Both of us curled up on the sofa, giggling softly at the movie I found myself becoming more and more comfortable with my new shape and gender.

Of course, I had to provide a short fashion show for Angela. Going through the wardrobe I modelled a variety of outfits with Angela offering advice and on occasion my inner voice offering gentle observations. Funny though, I actually enjoyed myself, giggling with Angela at the outfits, striking those ridiculous model poses and twirling round and round watching my skirts and dresses billow out.
With a hug, the end of the evening came all too soon. Angela helping me to put the outfits back into the wardrobe.

“So had a nice girly evening Martine?”

Giggling, “Yes, I’ve never had a night like it but it was soo fun. Thanks for coming over Angela. If that is my recommended treatment I may need a few more doses though!” giving her another hug when did I become more tactile? Not that I’m complaining though…

After Angela left, I cleared the rest of the plates and stuff. Well read “put in the dishwasher” but I was houseproud enough to want to keep the place tidy. Popped a fresh nightie on and cleaned the small amount of makeup off my face. Funny I didn’t remember putting it on but must have done a decent job as Angela didn’t comment.

* * *

The following morning I awoke feeling oddly nervous, today was the first day I was really flying solo. Dr Bain’s advice to take things easy at first was on my mind but so was the image of that corpse me reminding me that time was limited. A quick shower and dressed, remembered enough to keep my hair dry while showering and patting myself rather than rubbing with the towel. Still things would be different, the shower was OK but really wasn’t as sensual as the bath I took. You’re learning hun, shower for quick cleans you know… Great my spectral co-pilot was still here I thought but wasn’t too annoyed. She had offered to give me the skills to survive and these were like echoes of a memory giving me the skills to keep going.

Shopping trip I suppose, yes, go window shopping and get the lie of the land. I decided not to drive but take the tram into town. I’d noticed a tram stop a short walk from the flat that would go straight into town and save me from investing (read part purchase the real estate — parking fees are not exactly “reasonable”) in a parking space. The weather was fairly reasonable so I just slipped into a basic outfit, navy skirt, white blouse, tan tights, low navy heels (Like I’m going to wear high heels for shopping, I may be new to this but I’m not a complete idiot) cardigan and jacket. Handbag… Oh joy, I’m haunted by the Fashion Police… OK I get it. Handbag, nice black number with a shoulder strap. Checking inside my heart fell at the sight of the two white packages nestling in the bottom, some lippy and blusher. Hun that day will hit you soon, don’t worry you’ll get used to it dear.

Well at least I wasn’t alone I thought with a smile as I set off on my first shopping trip as a girl. Waiting at the tram stop I started to think I knew how Iraqi fighters felt during the Gulf War with every eye upon them. Calm down, you had no problem at the hospital and apart from looking like any other woman what else was there to see. Now where to look first? Hmmm what sort of look was I aiming at… professional I think, must make the right impression when I do go to work. Wonder what it is I actually do? Probably a member of the “Swivel Chair Hussars” knowing my luck, dodging incoming emails and making the tea.

Giving the more “Teeny and Twenty” places a miss, fashion was something that happened to other people I found a number of nice outlets. I tended to pale cream colours although deep blues looked really hot on me. Yes, I did the “makeover” thing at one of the classier department stores and yes, it was fun. Having somebody else go to work on your face and try a nice new look was actually quite enjoyable. I could see why these things were so popular but resolved to only do it occasionally.

The oddest feeling came when I was just walking between stores, looking at the windows and wondering how some of the outfits would look on yours truly. A feeling of being watched, yes I know that all women have that feeling occasionally like “does this outfit make me look too large/trampy/etc” and I was sure that women compared for want of a better term but this was somehow different as though somebody was actively watching what I did. Paranoia? Well when somebody has tried to kill you I think it is more of a survival instinct but I resolved to continue the shopping trip but to be a little more observant of the people about me.

Giving the credit card a gentle work out I made my way out with a new outfit consisting of skirt, jacket and blouse, size… quite slim but not stick thin… look a lady does not discuss her sizes any more than her age. Sorry!

But somebody caught my eye, the way they tried to blend in actually made them stand out. The strange thing was it was as though they were stood in shadow but the light seemed to avoid them as if it didn’t want to even touch them… A youngish man, early to mid-twenties, slightly built and plainly dressed . His eyes all but glanced off me and frankly I felt his glance and it did not feel like a man looking at an attractive woman rather than one leering and at ME. I decided to test this and stopped at a café to take a coffee and snack, I knew as a woman my appetite was smaller than before and my very rare junk food urges would become rarer, unless I wanted to become Martine the human blimp, a cappuccino and a small salad would be more than enough. Sitting with my back to the wall and with a clear view of the rest of the café I settled down to my snack and waited…

As I expected, my shadow appeared. Now what are you going to do son, there’s nowhere to sit to observe me that will not make it crystal clear that that is what you are trying. Wait outside and you may as well carry a billboard with you… I sat back sipping my drink and savoured the look of confusion on his face. Not so much fun when the game changes and you are the one being watched is it? He looked about with an almost haunted expression on his face and took a table with his back to me. If he wasn’t looking for me then I have a twin he must fancy enormously, he actually kept looking around! Come on son, there’s a plate glass window in front of you, use the reflection to watch but instead now I know it is me you are looking for. Giving a gentle grin I decided upon my next shopping stops, oh this was too good to miss…

Leaving my now finished snack, I left the café, sweeping past my shadow and totally ignoring him. For you sunshine life is about to get very in touch with your feminine side. Walking into the first of several shoe shops in the Mall I began indulging myself with the daintiest of shoes and yes, heels. Making sure I was right in the middle of the shop and ensuring he had nowhere to look other than at female shoes and heels. The assistants kept trying to help him, asking if there was anything they could do to help and the look on his face was simply priceless. Especially when I strolled past trying a pair of 5” heels that I knew made my legs look simply awesome and would make the balls of my feet feel like they had been dipped in molten lead after the first hour! Time for more fun I smiled and decided to buy these too.

Don’t ever let anybody tell you shopping for lingerie cannot be fun if some fool is trying to be inconspicuous… I made my way past Knickerbox, I had no intention of making this easy for anybody but me. I’ll teach you to follow a woman sunshine I thought as I found one of the largest Department Stores in the Mall and started “Power Lingerie Shopping” I could see my little shadow wanting a great hole to appear beneath his feet and swallow him. Especially at what was fast becoming a queue of “assistants” all young, attractive ladies taking turns to enjoy his discomfort asking if there was anything they could help him with. Even I am not that cruel and eventually (well alright after an hour or three) decided to cut him loose and arranged a taxi to get home.

* * *

Home was rather the anti-climax but I unpacked my shopping, removed the tags and hung everything in the wardrobes and cupboards. For some reason I simply had to try those spike heels again. Not suitable for everyday use but I knew they would be getting worn for at least one party! I tottered about a little as I got used to the heels and, yes OK I looked in the mirror — sue me then I’m a girl.

For some reason, I did not feel like a large meal and again a salad simply hit the spot. A light weight mix of green salad and pate with a light baguette and a glass of wine. I read through a book or two from the bookcase and checked my emails, spam, offers to buy stuff I didn’t want before and still didn’t, the usual rubbish that went straight to the recycle bin. Beyond that I spent some time on the cross trainer running out some of the stiffness and stress of the day.

Odd that I spotted that boy so easily, it was strange, as though he was stood in shadow but the place was well lit? I resolved to be a little more observant in the next few days and remembered an odd comment “Watch for Shadows, they move when you are not looking”.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wondering if she

imagined her stalker, or if she had one, and why?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Spoilers Darling :) But

Spoilers Darling :) But Martine does not serve the Shadowman and HE will be appearing soon and you've now met one of his minions... Of course Martine has a job to do too, find who gave the orders and put a major hurt on them (Of course having a little fun at their expense is just the icing on the cake!)

Marty seems to be adjusting to life as Martine.

It was nice to see a new chapter on this story, I almost didn't remember it with all the stories I've read in between. I'm looking forward to what's next for our Heroine. Thanks hon for posting this. (Hugs) Taarpa

very interesting

the way she spotted that tail. It was enjoyable to see her turn the tables on him with a triple helping of embarrassment. :)
hugs
Grover

Thanks, when I got to that

Thanks, when I got to that point it was rather too good to miss! I have a few further ideas for Martine but she has a date night to deal with before night falls.