Here Be Dragons

Printer-friendly version

----------=BigCloset Retro Classic!=----------

You know, there are times when a life goes so far off the rails that things can never be the same again!
Of course, none of you know the least thing about what I’m talking about do you?

Here Be Dragons

By Sunwolf
Copyright© 2014 Sunwolf
All Rights Reserved.
dragonrider.jpg

 
Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf on Sunday 01-05-2014 at 12:51:44 pm, this retro classic was pulled out of the closet, and re-presented for our newer readers.~Sephrena
 
Image Credits: Dragonrider.~Sephrena
 


 
You know, there are times when a life goes so far off the rails that things can never be the same again! Of course, none of you know the least thing about what I’m talking about do you?

The tale begins in a world of machines, steam and power. Not magic like here, but a thing called “technology” a sort of blend between magic and the abilities of the Artificers Guilds. But one thing we have and they lack are DRAGONS!* * *

I suppose I was always a dreamer, not artistic or anything even close but I did like to imagine other worlds and what people would be like there. Well I got that question answered in short order one amazing day what, some sixty years ago. Although in fairness, I’m not sure if time here is the same as it was in my old home on Earth.

That’s right my darlings, I was not born here but summoned by my Dragon, Solanth. I have never told about my past but now Solanth and I are about to travel on the greatest of journeys I think it is time I revealed a little about my past…

* * *

Much of my original world would be so past your understanding my children but there were hundreds of thousands of people living there, great cities that could take up to three days to walk across if you can believe such a thing. But I have been there and seen with my own eyes these things. Yet amidst all the wonders of that place, it was also quite empty for me. I did not feel that I belonged despite being born there. One day, I began to feel a yearning in my heart as though another spirit was seeking me out. Not to dominate, but like a lost child looking for their mother, searching, longing and over time, loving. I know you have had your imaginary friends when you have played but I hope that one of you may be lucky enough to feel the heart of their Dragon.

Over time, I felt my spirit friend grow but not his form, I didn’t know the truth then that dragons are real! It was one wonderful day that I felt a name form in my mind, a powerful name, a true name. The name that I would know my soulmate by for the rest of my life, perhaps I should say lives as one life would soon end and a new and wonderful life begin.

There is little to tell about the accident that ended my first life except that it was an accident and led to a new awakening. I remember the pain, the shock and the greater surprise to look down upon my still, lifeless form although I will admit to finding that there was still a me to do the looking with perhaps more surprising. A great light appeared and HE was there…

* * *

“Hello my dear friend, it is time to answer the call of our spirits and begin our new lives together. There will be much sacrifice but happiness and fulfilment beyond your dreams.”

“Well children, if I could have taken a breath then…” I smiled, “seeing a real Dragon is quite a surprise if all of your life you have been told they are myths.”

“Mother, what is a myth? You mean that there are no dragons?” Perivor, my youngest son asked.

“A sort of very long complicated story set in the far distant past but I am sure you will learn more over time and as to dragons...” I gave him a look and returned to the tale. “I had never seen a dragon until then, well not real ones, just in story books. It was strange though, I wasn’t afraid, quite the reverse. It was as though I knew I was safe and more, that I knew this dragon as though I had known him all my life.”

Well, your first dragon is quite the surprise. Solanth, I knew his name even then, looked magnificent. A deep golden bronze colour, yellow eyes with black slit pupils. But he was huge, or so it seemed at the time, wings outstretched and magnificently proportioned. A warm feeling washed over me as his intelligent eyes bore into me.

“Greetings Milady, it is time to move on to your new home. All is prepared, please climb up onto my shoulders. Step up on my forearm and sit at ease on my shoulders just ahead of my wings.”

Again I felt a comforting feeling wash over me as I shrugged and stepped up onto the back of this huge looking dragon.
I felt the muscles of his body contract as Solanth tensed and spreading his wings he leapt up and launched us gracefully into the sky.

* * *

My first flight on dragonwing was simply unforgettable. Back before the accident, I flew only when I could not avoid doing so. The wind sang as Solanth and I gained height, the sky changed colour to a lovely orange and strangely I felt something else. My weight seemed to have become distributed a little differently yet I felt a deep sense of reassurance from Solanth as I began to realise that other things had changed in addition to riding on a dragon!

Hair was waving in the wind, I had always kept it short. My hands unconsciously raised themselves to my chest as I realised other things had definitely changed! My stomach leapt into my throat as Solanth arced his wings back, lowered his neck and plunged towards the ground.

“Don’t worry dear Rider, I will never harm you and you will never fall from my back. I have waited for so very long to hold you on my back and feel the wind on my wings the way dragons are meant to be.”

“But… but… I’ve got…” I stuttered hearing my voice snatched away by the wind.

“Think, silly! How have we talked for all this time? Unless you think you were being followed by an invisible dragon!” Solanth’s thought smiled “Oh, I loved James Stewart in “Harvey” by the way. Now we will learn our true natures together, you have had a gentle heart with a strong will and will need that in the years to come. Yes, there are challenges ahead but happiness you cannot believe.”
“But I’m a woman!” I thought back desperately.

“Yes, my rider. Dragons are creatures of magic, formed from magic and their riders are shaped by the magic that creates us. Our riders are always the opposite gender, it’s a balance thing but takes a little getting used to. It is rare and rare indeed for a rider to be called to sacrifice such as you have made but know you are needed now. To become a rider is an honour, to have a perfect soulmate. One who knows and loves you intimately.”

I felt Solanth angle towards a vaguely conical crag, tall but with steep cliffs and dense woodlands scattered about the base. In the sky above, I saw more dragons wheeling, dipping and diving towards a large flat area just above the cliffs. Nestling at the base was a small village, smoke rising from several chimneys but still too far to see anybody or the livestock.

A feeling of electricity ran through me as Solanth dove through a cloud on his way towards the crag. Looking down, I saw that I was rather better dressed than, do you know I cannot remember to this day what I was wearing when we met. Now I was swathed in flexible leather jacket and trousers, dyed a deep red almost a purply plum colour.

“Just a little extra magic my dear. Time to visit our new home at The Castle of Winds. My brothers and sisters are waiting for us as are their riders.”

“But, I can hardly use my old name can I? Are they expecting somebody specific? Do I have a name here?” I felt the beginning of doubt.

“You have always known your true name dragonrider… Remember?”

A name bubbled to the surface, a name I had almost dreamt about but it was not a name for my old life but here…

“Yes my dear Starhawk, welcome home. It has been so very long but now we are here.”

With that, Solanth spread his wings and slowed down to formate with the waiting dragons. Some hovering others swooping playfully, their varied colours of blues, browns, bronzes and others. On their backs sat the riders, arms raised in greeting as Solanth brought his wings forward and slowed for our landing in our new home…

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Is there more?

This was like a sip. May I have some more to sample that taste again? :)
Hugs
Grover

I Want More, Please

terrynaut's picture

I like this. It has a warm, gentle feeling. And it has dragons! It's a nice mix.

Please do continue writing this story. It sounds like it's begging to be continued.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Too short.

Like Grover said, this is something that should be continued so the rest of us can share your fantasy. Very nice first chapter.

Maggie

Having a Mythical Being

As my best friend and guide and also to change me and take me away are very old yearnings of mine. David and the Phoenix was the first book I can remember reading all by myself. I think it had some of those feelings. When I finished the story and there was no more to read, I was so shocked and disappointed. I'd been wrapped up in the book for days; I didn't want to return to the (so called) real world.

It would be very cool for you to continue your tale. Stories with dragons are (almost) always wonderful!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Definitely an interesting

Amethyst's picture

Definitely an interesting start here. Interesting as a standalone story but I can see where you could evolve the story to make an good serial. I am rather fond of fantasy worlds and dragons myself and I like the taste you've given us so far. ;)

*hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

oooooo

Such a sweet tasting tale.
May I add my voice to the chorus clamouring for more?

Xx
Amy

Oh my!

I think that I have fallen in love, Solanth and Starhawk, perfectly named. Dear one, please let this be a marvelous beginning.

Thank you,

Joani