Freya's Gift Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

An aging overweight man who plays too much online gaming receives a gift from Freya, the
goddess of love, lust, beauty, sorcery, fertility, gold, war and death.

Freya's Gift

Chapter 2: Just the Begining

I awoke feeling better than I can remember in a long time. I knew that I had a pleasant dream, but couldn't remember anything at all. I got up to my usual routine, restroom, check blood sugar level, make breakfast, take Meds, take insulin, then eat. While eating I watch my shows on my PC, usually a movie. Then I check out SapphireFoxx to check out the new works.

Then to the gaming.

Eager to continue with Freya.Blaster's career. I log in and get set. Going forward with the quests from yesterday. Everything is going smoothly, I finish tasks and starting new ones when the flash of wings sparkle in the air to signify level up awards. But instead of the normal golden effect, it's a rainbow of colors like from a tall waterfall into a deep grotto. Then award boxes drop like normal, but with one box different than any other, it strobed with a rainbow prismatic effect.

I picked up the boxes and continued for a while longer till I was done in that map zone. I went into town to sell off the loot picked up during the questing and open the loot boxes and decide on keeping or selling what was there. Most of the boxes were the usual things, weapon crystals, armour crystals and charms of various sorts. Then, for the rainbow box.

When I opened the box, I was greeted with a message saying I was granted the chance to continue playing in "Full Immersion" mode. Now I had never heard of this before and thought it must be some type of beta test offer. I clicked on it to add to inventory, then opened it up. I am shown what looks like the open screen with my three avatars and the prompt "Select final form". I chose Freya.Blaster and hit enter. The screen blanks out, then grows brighter and brighter till I can't keep my eyes on it cause it hurts too much to do so. I am temporally blinded.

When I was finally able to open my eyes I was no longer sitting at my computer desk. I was now in a forest clearing near a good sized stream running through it, and in the near background was a spectacular waterfall into a deep grotto causing vast amounts of mist and an amazing rainbow. As I am taking this all in, I notice a woman approaching from out of the mists.

As she nears, she says, "I am FREYA, do you remember our last meeting? Although I did blank it from your mind." I think to myself that I do remember this beautiful woman, but can't remember from where.

Then it comes to me. It must have shone on my face because FREYA smiled beaming back and says, "I see you do remember", "yes I do, but I still do not feel that I deserve any special gift", I said.

Freya says "Will you accept my gift?"

"I will, if that will make you happy." I had a need to please her, if for no other reason than to see her smile.

"Have you chosen your final form? You must be clear on this as it may be the most important decision of your life. Once you choose you will have to live with it, no turning back." She looks deep into my eyes, searching to see if I would choose with my heart and soul or my mind.

Thinking about the game, I said, "I have already chosen my gunner, Freya.Blaster. She is strong and capable over my other players and I still want it to be her".

"Your choice is made!" Then she begins chanting for a few moments, then "What is done, Shall not be Undone!" Now in a tone of one teacher giving knowledge to a beloved pupil. She instructs me, "know that you will carry your skills where ever you go. You simply just think your action and it will come to pass. Know also that the skills of your other avatars are yours at your disposal at times of need, including your Archer from your other account". She smiles at me with knowing eyes, her smile lights up the clearing, becoming so bright I can hardly see.

Then I can see again. Only things have changed, everything is clearer than before. And the perspective of play is now like being physically in the game. With all that implies, but more so. Before the game graphics were really good. Now you could not tell the difference from being in a live setting. I could smell the grass of the clearing. I could feel the wind in my hair. I even had the vision to rival any storybook elf. I could hear what sounded like small animals on the far side of the clearing. It was almost a feeling of euphoria.

That's when I notice my hair, as it was blown by the breeze of the forest clearing. It was long, about the middle of my shoulders. And as red as carrots. Looking down, I see that I have breasts and a shapely form. I run to the stream feeling light as never before, even with the monstrous gun slung across my back. When I reach a place at the waters edge that is realatively free from ripples and look down into the watery reflection. What greets my eyes is my avatar Freya.Blaster's image. What I see is a very attractive elfen woman wearing the armour outfitted last in the game including the color overlay to bring out blue highlights in what looks and feels like carbon fiber or kevlar.

Thinking that this level of rendering for beta test gaming is beyond reason. Realizing I need to practice to achieve any skill before I need to interact with other players or confront the evil beings in the game. So I pull the huge gun from over my shoulder and fire some rounds with more than satisfying explosions and flashes to rival the best pyrotechnics. With a thought I can change between the many effects my weapon is capable of, even the remotes. Most satisfying was the feel of shooting the chain gun, sounding like those on the C130's called Puff the magic dragon.

Now you might think that all this wanton destruction has completely destroyed this idyllic setting. But you would be wrong. As in normal game play the damage doesn't affect the environs. Just the thought is enough to use any skill or drop down box. Just as FREYA, the All-Mother said. I choose my drop down for a quick run at the next small quest. All goes well, the seamless play is so fun and easy. Then deciding to exit game play. I sign out for the day. Fade to black.

End of Chapter 2

up
282 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonder

Jamie Lee's picture

I don't think he fully understands to what extent the gift extends.

Question is, will he come to terms with the changes?

Others have feelings too.

Interesting indeed. I wonder

Interesting indeed. I wonder if she is now in the game, rather than just playing it?

Found one very small error, and it is one that would not necessarily be known unless you were there. "Puff the Magic Dragon" was not an AC-130; they were AC-47s (WWII era aircraft) used in Vietnam from the middle 1965-1967(actually got the name from the Peter,Paul and Mary song of the same name). Called that until the name was changed to "Spooky" in late 1966. I had nightly radio contact with them due to my duty position, and remember well when the name was changed. Was very sad for everyone involved.
The AC-130s came in service sometime in middle/late 1967, and as I had left VN, before they arrived, I am not familiar with the name they were given. I do know it was not "Puff" however.

New level

Podracer's picture

Michael has definitely "upped his game". Will the border between game and real life blur a bit?

"Reach for the sun."