Off the Front Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Stacey and Brita rolled into the parking lot of Campus Cycles a few minutes early and immediately felt like they were on another planet. There were three distinct groups gathered in the parking lot, A tight group of athletic riders in skintight lycra stood around with sleek high tech bicycles that looked more like something from the future. A second group of riders mostly on similar bikes but with less uniformity in clothing style and body shape formed a second group, and a third group appeared to be composed of more women in far more casual clothing and bikes more like hers.

There was an awkward moment when everyone on the parking lot seemed to turn towards Stacey and Brita at once and stare. “Lets get out of here,” Brita said.

“Chill,” Stacey replied as she scanned the crowd for Marley. “I don’t see her anywhere,” A tall guy rolled over from the skintight group and smiled taking off his sunglasses to reveal bright blue eyes., “Hey, I’m Ben, are you guys here for the ride?” He said in a deep voice.

Brita reached over and pinched Stacey, and she seemed unable to form words, “Yeah Marley invited us, I’m Stacey and this is Brita.”

“Cool, well she’s in the shop and will be out in just a second, do you guys need helmets?” Ben asked.

“Ummm,” Brita said, seemingly unable to remember what a helmet was.

“We don’t have helmets,” Stacey replied.

“Yeah, gotta have a helmet to do this ride, but we’ve got loaners, Marley will set you up, just head over to the shop.” Ben said. Stacey had to pull Brita away, thanked Ben and headed towards the door.

“I think I’m going to love cycling,” Brita said as she turned around for one last look at Ben’s chiseled backside. “That is so hot,” she said and licked her lips.

“Would you calm down,” Stacey said. As they approached the shop door Marley and Jordan came out pushing a bike.

“Hey you made it awesome,” Marley said. “This is my friend Jordan, she’s going to ride with us tonight,” Stacey felt a bit of relief in knowing Jordan was a girl, as she wasn’t quite able to place her gender. Jordan stuck out her hand for a handshake.

“Why don’t these bikes have kickstands?” Brita asked.

“That’s a good question,” Marley said with a laugh and showed them to lean their bikes along the wall of the shop. She took Brita and Stacey in to loan them helmets but made a funny face. “Well, we have a slight problem here,” she said and lifted two helmets out of a box. One was a standard white with blue accents, while the other was a girls helmet with several variations on neon pink and purple and huge hearts all over.

“Oh no,” Brita said.

“I’m sorry these are the only two we have left,” Marley said.

Stacey reached out and took the adult helmet and stuck it on her head, “Sorry but this is one of the few times having a big head has been an advantage, it’s a perfect fit,” she said.

Brita grabbed the kid’s helmet and stuck it on her head, “Whatever it’s fine, it's cute, I like it,” she said as she stomped out.

Ben rolled over to Marley’s group back in the parking lot, “Big group tonight,” he said.

“Yeah, little 500 brings them out,” Marley said.

“Well I’ll see you afterward,” Ben said and rolled back over to his group. There was a sudden storm of clicking sounds as the riders all locked their shoes into their pedals and began rolling out.

“Are you guys like dating?” Brita asked Marley.

Marley raised her eyebrow and couldn’t help but raise a smile, “Why do you ask?”

“Because he’s flipping hot,” Brita said.

Marley laughed and said, “No, he works at the shop too, we’re just friends.”

“Cool,” Brita said.

Are you done embarrassing us now?” Stacey asked then turned to Marley, “So I take it that’s the fast group.”

“Yeah, thats the A group they will do 35, we’re the B group and we’ll do 25, and over there is Mary and the C group they’ll do 15,” Marley explained.

“25 miles? Tonight?” Brita asked.

“Yeah, it’s really not that far, but you’re welcome to go ride with the C group,” Marley said.

Brita looked over and studied the group, it was mostly older women and men, many of them looking a bit pudgy in tight fitting spandex and didn’t say anything. Marley clicked into her pedals, with the same style of shoes as the guys had in the A group. Stacey looked over Marely’s bike, it was spotless, sleek and aerodynamic. The paint was gloss black with highlights in feminine colors, and the word Specialized was emblazoned across the downtube in a beautiful rainbow gradient. “Wow that’s a really nice bike, do you race?” Stacey said.

“Thanks,” Marley said as she began to lead out the B group. “And no I don’t race,” she said.

Out on the road Marley stayed in the front of the group leading them through the hustle and bustle of traffic and then onto quiet city streets where she drifted back to Jordan, Stacey and Brita. “So if you want to take a break, just stop, the C group will be by and stay with you. In about ten miles you’ll need to decide if you want to do the longer ride or take the shorter one with the Cs,” Marley explained. For the next 5 minutes Marley gave the girls a crash course in group riding, covering drafting, car back warnings, road safety, and the basic tactics. Stacey noticed they were no longer in town as the group turned a corner onto a smooth country road. There was a change in the group, the pace began to quicken. Stacey felt her heart rate begin to rise as the group stretched out into a line.

A smile found its way to Stacey’s face, the feeling of blood pumping, wind in her hair, and the ground rushing by reminded her of cross country running in high school. Minutes ticked by and Stacey found the smile growing. She looked behind her to see a frown on Brita’s face. “Are you OK?”

“Yeah peachy,” she said between breaths. Ahead of her Marley’s friend Jordan was beginning to struggle to hang on and a gap was growing between her and the other riders. Marley drifted back from the front of the group.

“If you guys want I’ll hang back with you until the C’s get here.” she explained.

Brita stopped pedaling, “Yes please,” she said. Jordan slowed her pace as well and the main group kept getting farther away.

“I can keep going,” Stacey said.

“I’ll stay back with her if you guys want to keep going,” Jordan said.

“Are you sure?” Marley asked.

“Yeah we’re big girls, we’ll be fine,” Brita said.

“OK the C group rides a lot slower and they won’t leave you behind,” Marley said and gave Stacey a good look of appraisal. She was breathing deeply but appeared more athletic and toned then Brita or Jordan. She winked at her, “You ready to catch up?”

“Yeah lets go,” Stacey said, and immediately felt cheesy for her enthusiasm. She waved bye to her friend and tucked in behind Marley who very slowly and steadily increased her pace until they were beginning to catch back up. “How fast are we going?” Stacey shouted into the wind.

“21,” Marley yelled back. It wasn’t long before they were back with the B group. Stacey noticed that Marley still didn’t seem to be breathing hard, but she was taking deep breaths and feeling a not altogether unpleasant burning in her legs. Marley went back to the front of the group and worked her way in with the guys breaking the wind. A few miles later she drifted back to Stacey, “OK, point of no return, still feel like doing 25?”

“Yeah I feel good,” Stacey said.

“Awesome, this road has a few hills and segments, you’re going to see the group come apart but we’ll regroup in a few miles, just stay on this road.” Marley said. They turned onto a smaller road and soon were climbing a significant hill. Just as Marley said some riders surged forward and others began to drift back. Stacey began passing people, and noticed Marley was on the front setting the pace. At the crest of the hill her lungs and legs were burning, but she couldn’t believe she was still with the group, at least what was left of the group, it was now just Marley, herself and two other riders. Marley turned around and looked surprised to see Stacey still with them, she gave her a thumbs up. The downhill rush was incredible, then they turned a corner and another huge hill loomed before her.

This time Stacey found herself in the easiest gear and still struggling, one by one the riders she all passed went around her, giving encouragement and praise for how strong she was on her first ride. It was a huge blow when she saw what she thought was the top, wasn’t really the top, but just the halfway point. “Crap,” she said as the last rider she could see disappeared over the top.

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ohhhhhh yesssssssss

Miyata's picture

Feel the burn. I remember those days where the normal pace was in the 25 mph to 40 mph range. Now I average between 11 mph and 16 mph with bursts of up to 22 mph. As luck has it, I'm still riding my trusty 62cm Steel Frame 1987 Miyata 312 Competition road bike with the same race style gears and Peugeot Wheels that I had built new back then. Did a 41.27 mile ride in Raleigh this past Saturday. I average between 12 to 18 miles per day Monday through Friday and around 40 miles each day on the weekend. Been to the Little 500 several times, but never raced it. The Cutter Team is always in it and mainly comprised of local (Indiana) riders.

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda

Dang, your old normal pace is

Dang, your old normal pace is my max speed range LOL. On the road I'm always happy to have a 15 or higher average but seems to be slipping away from me even though I'm working hard this year. The Cutter Team is definitely an inspiration for this story.

Wind in my hair!

Well done Sarah, I could feel it all. I gotta get out and lose that covid-15 pounds. I'm ordering new 700c's tomorrow.

>>> Kay

700c's

Miyata's picture

Mine are true 27 inch wheels and tires. Currently have over 2000 miles on a set of Specialized Armadillo's.

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda

"Built for comfort"

Podracer's picture

- that's how I describe my wheels and me ;) So I don't do racing, but we get there eventually, even if the 30mph downhill means a 3mph climb. . It's good that I don't live near hills. I'd be with the C ride, chatting amiably as we pedalled.
Did over 14 average on today's exercise and pleased with that.

"Reach for the sun."