Broken Wings 70

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 70
I had a day off after that chat with Nita, and as Spring was now with us, I made sure the girls were okay before riding down to the little bit of a wetland nature reserve that had been made close to where I had first met Bert.

The migrants were passing through, some of them coming to stay somewhere in Britain, others heading even further, using Cardiff as a refuelling point on the way. I settled down with scope and flask, and as I scanned the reeds and water, I found my thoughts running through Diane’s behaviour. We had talked, to her obvious embarrassment, about the girls, and about them actually BEING girls, and she had confessed to me how steep the learning curve had been for her. I suspected that the only reason she was able to adapt at least a little had been the shared pain.

Damaged goods, both of us, and I could see so clearly how she had coped, in her obsession with paying back three utter bastards, and that left me with a problem. Behind her flippancy, she was a deeply caring woman, but one who seemed to lack so much real confidence. She hid it well, and her obsession kept her head up, but I couldn’t help wondering how she would cope when the trials were all done and dusted.

How on Earth would she cope if Ashley Evans didn’t go down for her rape? I actually liked Diane, liked her a lot, and so did my girls. She couldn’t see it, I suspected, but each of my little victims perceived her as ‘the one who made it’, escaped the pain and returned it with interest.

Shit. Just be ready, Debbie Petrie Wells, ready to be there for her when, if, she stumbled. I also realised I needed a word with Paul, as something was niggling me about Diane’s story. It matched Charlie’s, of course, because it had been the same bastard that had been responsible. There had also been a sixteen year old girl punched unconscious at Southerndown, and then raped and pissed on, which was such a close match for Diane’s case, and then there was what PC Welby had revealed about Posh Paula’s rape.

If we could pull other victims out of whatever place they had fallen into, then perhaps it would help Di keep her footing when all the shouting was over.

I smiled at that, at the whole concept of someone as screwed up as me being able to sort out other people’s lives for them. Who was I kidding? I settled down with my telescope, drifting off with the birds, and almost amused at the idea that events of such awful kind were leaving me smiling. That smile should have been like Di’s own bared teeth, or that nasty one from her boss, but it emerged on my face as a true reflection of a warmer feeling than hate could ever be.

If Evans was convicted, how many others could we encourage to step forward?

Not long afterwards, that question became a serious one, as Evans was sent down for fifteen years for the rape of Diane Owens, then a girl of sixteen. Her name was not given out, of course, but I knew, and so did every girl in the House. Charlie and Tiff spent several hours in their room after the reports on BBC News, but on their return, they were far calmer than they had been since the first time I had met either of them. The next day, I rang Nita to accept her offer.

Gemma was in pensive mood after work that evening, even quieter than normal, so I managed to get her alone in the back sitting room. Her mood had really stood out from the general air of celebration the other girls had given the House, and once again, I had a premonition which proved to be almost completely right.

“What is it, love? Customer problem?”

She nodded.

“Um, it’s… Look. Frank’s place, we’re doing really well. Got a new woman in, help with serving, Judy. She spotted what I was”

“Ah. She need a talking to?”

“No! She looks after me, really lovely she is. Just, loads of students and that, some of them think they’re funny, and they’re not, not really. And… And Dad found out where I am”

Oh shit.

“Thought he said so long, goodbye, don’t write? Sorry if that was nasty, but you know how I meant it”

She was looking down at her hands, clasped in her lap.

“Yeah. He did. But he goes out, every so often, he gets drunk, he comes in. Judy’s thrown him out a few times. I just stay in the kitchen, out the back. Never comes in if Frank’s there, and I told Frank about it, and he just said he’d get a sack if he did. Both being lovely to me, they are. Just Dad”

“How’s he get there? Drive?”

She was nodding, so I handed her a pen and a piece of paper.

“Write down what you can remember of his car: make, model, colour. Reg number if you can remember, and if you don’t mind, his address. I need to speak to a friend”

Her eyes widened.

“Not the bikers, Debbie! Kim told me about them!”

I shook my head.

“No, Gem. Different sort of friend. See if he can sort it for you, so courage, okay? Now, one question: any way he could have followed you home?”

“Don’t think so. Frank started paying for a taxi home after Dad started coming round, and he gets the driver to come round the back door. Nowhere for Dad to park there”

“Good. And it’s Frank who’s paying for the cabs?”

She nodded once again, this time with a smile, and started writing.

“Yeah. Say it’s worth it to keep his golden goose laying”

“Right. You pop back with the others, then, while I make my call”

The friend in question picked up after only three rings, and I heard another voice ask “Who is…?” in the background, just as he spoke.

“PC Welby. Er, I mean hiya, Debbie”

“Hiya back Paul. Got a problem you may be able to help sort”

“Not really your style, doing it the, um, official way. What’s up?”

“Girl’s father”

He was silent for a few seconds, and I knew that it was Serena’s name he was hearing in his head.

“What’s he doing, Debbie?”

“Being an arsehole, mate. Turning up at her work and being obnoxious”

“Kim’s?”

“No. I think he has had the error of his ways made abundantly clear to him. Gemma’s dad”

“She the cook?”

“That’s the one. Frank and his shop woman have been protecting her, but I thinks he’s getting to her”

“Knowing you, you have a plan of sorts”

“Yup. He only comes to see her when he’s pissed. Public transport is not believed to be involved in his journey”

He started to chuckle.

“I was right about you. Always a plan. If I put up a report, to the haunter of the dark, we might get his car flagged, put up on the system. He lives over in Gwent, doesn’t he?”

“He does”

“Right. So if we find him, or rather his car, over this way, as a suspected drink-driver…
Yeah, that should work. Coming over in a few days, Debbie. Got it all written down for me>”

“Gemma’s done the business. And what do you mean ‘haunter of the dark’?”

He laughed, and again I heard the murmur of another voice, before he answered the question.

“Local Intelligence Officer. Really odd man, actual name is Justin, or Iestyn, or whatever, but he is never seen outside his office. Lots of bad jokes about creatures of the night, vampires, Gollum and that. Some of the lads call him Callum, cause they’re too think to know who Gollum is. Some think that’s his real name. Anyway, he’s really good at this sort of thing, and the Traffic boys just love drink drivers. Sugar’s over there”

“Sorry?”

“Got a friend with me, Debbie. Having a cuppa and a natter. See you in a few days, then, and we’ll get the ball rolling. Bye!”

Click.

The night he was due to come over, Diane rang me for permission to visit, and that confused me a little, as she was by then in the habit of simply turning up and knocking or ringing the bell.

“Why so polite, Di?”

“First, I want to chat with Charlie and Tiff, and, if they are okay, get statements off them. This is their chance to fight back, and I really think that’s what they want. Safe now, isn’t it? Second… I want to let you meet someone else. I’ve had to take some time off work, and, well, be good to get things moving, and stuff”

“Ah! Would this be a rather large man, by any chance?”

“Er… yeah”

“Hang on, can you?”

“No worries”

I looked round the room, seeing almost all of the girls present, and pressed ‘mute’.

“Di is on the phone, ladies, and she is asking for a favour”

Maisie looked up, puzzled.

“Surely she doesn’t need to ask for favours? Not after getting that pig fifteen years inside!”

“That’s the point, love. Not just for her. She wants to bring somebody with her. A man”

Tiff shot Charlie a look before raising her hand.

“Would this be a very, very big man, Debbie? The one she is very, very fond of? The one who helped her with those bastards in the van?”

Charlie spoke up, right on her heels, her voice very soft.

“The one she’s very, very in love with?”

I just nodded, and the girls al started nodding in turn. Tiff squeezed Charlie’s hand.

“If all the others are happy, I think we should meet him. If Di loves him, then he must be one of the good ones”

I unmuted the phone, confirming time and date with Di, while Gemma simply smiled. Two of my newer and younger ones were uncertain, but we agreed they could wait next door, if they were still worried on the day. Gemma spoke up, with that soft smile of hers.

“I will see what I can do in the way of nice things. A box they can take home”

“Thanks, Gem. Di says she’s been off work, so it might cheer her up”

I smiled back at them all, proud of each and every one. I suspected I knew exactly why the woman had been at home, though.

The date of the visit came round, and I was fretting, as it felt unnatural letting a man I did not know into the House. Doctor, Sparky, Oily, Paul--- they were all known quantities. This, despite his credentials, would be a stranger. My girls were excited, though, and when the phone went, I had to shout for silence before I could hear Di’s voice: in the Olive. I set out to collect them, anxious, but sure I was doing the right thing, as the girls all went through to the other dining room.

Di was at a table on her own, but there was a huge man being served by Ruth, and as I hugged Diane, he delivered a cuppa and, to my delight, a bacon roll. Di raised her eyebrows at him, and he shrugged before sitting down.

“What? If she doesn’t want it, I’ll have it”

I found myself grinning, as his manner ticked all the right boxes so far.

“You can sod off, son. My name is on that one! Nice to meet you at last, anyway. We all watched the news. Couldn’t hear much of it, the girls were shouting so loud. Di, thanks for this. We’ve already had a house meeting. Two of the girls will stay in their rooms, but the rest are dying to meet him”

Di squeezed my hand.

“Thanks, Deb. We’re both off work just now, but I thought he’d be great for doing the statements. I still have to stay clear of the formal stuff, being so involved”

I understood her exactly.

“Yeah, we all understand. Anyway, get this down me and back to the house. Gemma’s brought some stuff home for you”

She grinned at her lover, a word so clearly right, who was working through his own snack.

“Think he’s had enough calories today!”

“No, Di. She’s done some pastries and stuff for us all, but she’s brought you a box full, for you to take home. Family and that, as a thank you”

Blake looked up as he finished his last mouthful.

“Deb, Di? How many are we looking at here? How many victims?”

Hit him with both barrels, Debbie Petrie Wells.

“Well, DC Blake, just for starters we have three rapes and a kidnapping. Will that do?”

That brought his eyes fully open.

“I think that will do for starters. I am going to be open and honest here, Deb, and say that I would love to see them banged away until they are so old they can’t hurt anyone ever again”

Fuck that, I thought.

“Well, I want to see them die in prison!”

His reply was as nasty as anything I could have given.

“No, why should they spend their last years safe, secure and at our expense? Why should we keep the wolves off them?”

I had to laugh, and it was almost a happy one.

“I like your style, boy! Come on; the girls are all impatient”

I led them to the back door, and found Gemma awaiting us with one of the usual cardboard boxes, which I passed to Di.

“Want to let the girls know we’re coming through in five, Gem? Ta!”

I gave Blake the standard spiel.

“This is like an airlock. Gives them time to sort their heads out, or leave if they don’t think they can handle you. We don’t get many men in here, for obvious reasons, and certainly not in the main room. You are being honoured, son”

I gave her just enough time, before leading the way to the connecting door. Blake was staring, eyes half closed.

“Two houses together, aye?”

“Oh yes. Gives us the room we need, as well as two extra escape routes, if and when”

We crossed into the other house, and I could hear the volume of noise from the room, feeling like a sit-com teacher approaching her class. As I opened the door, the volume his a much higher level.

“QUIET!”

Near silence followed, to my astonishment.

“Sometimes they listen to me, it seems. Right, girls! You’ve all seen this man on the telly, so you know who he is. He and Diane are off work at the moment, so this is a social visit, sort of ‘get to know you’ thing”

“Why are you off work, Diane?”

Charlie, of course. Di sighed, then shrugged.

“Honestly? It was the trial. All a bit much for me, in the end. Got a result though, didn’t we?”

A room filled with teenaged girls became filled with noise. Di waited for it to die down

“Now, Blake’s off work to look after me, but he’s a good lad—you all know that, and I certainly do. So, at some point we want to give you an opportunity to talk to us formally. No compulsion, no forcing you to do anything you don’t want to. They are all going nowhere for a few years, so we have time to get together and add more than a few years to their sentences. Not asking anyone to commit themselves now, is it? Just saying you can hit back now, if you want. Not just them, either. We are here to listen. Oh, and who’s got the kettle duty?”

Gemma laughed happily.

“Well, I’ve done the cakes, so someone else can do it. Megan?”

My pride hit a higher level, as Gemma ensured that one of the newest arrivals was allowed to feel included. Megan smiled at Diane.

“Cocoa for you? And the man?”

Di nodded, smiling.

“Two cocoas, love, and he’s called Blake. Charlie? Tiff? Want to say hello?”

Blake settled down as low as he could, and I realised it was threat reduction: not really so big, not scary at all, see how I smile, hear my soft voice. Di took his hand.

“Do either of you mind if I give him a quick idea of what happened to you?”

Tiff shook her head, while Charlie, as ever, sniffed.

“Not if it gets him more shit, no. Do it, Di”

“Thanks. Jump in if I get it wrong. Love---”

Just the slightest of flickers as the two heard Diane use that word.

“Love, this is Charlie, and Tiff. Tiff had problems with her father, for starters. A little bit too interested when she let people see she was a girl, so she had to leave”

I watched Blake’s expression start to change as Di softly recited the girls’ history.

“Obviously, she couldn’t stay at home, and she ended up being picked up by Joe Evans. Charlie here also met him, and some of our other friends. How old were you, love?”

“Fucking thirteen, Di”

“Thanks, girl. Blake, she was out for a walk, and she met Ashley Evans. Same as with me, in essence. Found in some bushes by a dog walker. Off to hospital, and had a visit from you know who, both of the bastards. So, she gets kicked out of home, ends up on the streets, and gets found by someone who looks after her, or so she thinks”

“Wonky-eyed cunt!”

Blake’s voice was very different at that point; still soft, but seeming deeper, just a hint of teeth ready to snap shut.

“Joe Evans?”

Di was hugging Charlie at that point.

“The very same, love. He gets her into a room, and I rather suspect he was looking to punt her affections out round his friends. Sorry, Charlie, if it sounds like I’m making a joke out of it, but it’s not easy for me, either”
Charlie’s own voice had softened, but hers held a trace of a shudder rather than Blake’s lurking snarl.

“Went out of the window, I did. Don’t know where I’d be now if I hadn’t, and Nana, of course. Enough, Di”

“Tiff?”

“Yeah, go on”

“Tiff was at home, and worried about how her Dad was reacting”

My heart nearly broke as Tiff stood taller, resting a hand on Diane’s forearm.

“Better if I tell this, Di. The girls all know my story. I was fourteen, came out to my parents. Mam wasn’t too bad, even took me shopping, and Dad seemed fine. At first. Then he started buying me clothes as well. Charlie?”

The other girl pulled her into a cuddle, and Tiff continued, speaking into Charlie’s chest.

“Not going into details, not now, but a lot of what he bought me was underwear. Stupid stuff. And then he wanted me to wear it for him… After, I told Mam, and she just shouted at me, called me a liar. She said, ‘Haven’t I done enough for you, you pervert?’, and I couldn’t take any more, couldn’t face another Daddy’s Girl night, so I left. I didn’t have any money, well, only a tenner…”

Her voice faltered for a moment.

“Same thing as Charlie, yeah? Wonky Eye picked me up in a Maccy D’s, last of my cash, nowhere to sleep, and he had a spare room. I didn’t get out of the window, though, not then. I still met Pritchard, though. And a couple of his mates”

The big man had taken Diane’s hand by then, and I watched a shudder go through him, even though his voice remained steady, stayed soft.

“Thanks, girls. If you want, and only when you do, I’d like to put this down on paper. What we call a witness statement. We have other people we are looking at just now, but could you let me have the dates, especially your rape, Charlie. We need that to tie up some loose ends with some other people, and then… Then, there are some adjustments that need making to a number of jail terms”

Diane’s face held its own expression, or rather two. The first was simple adoration, as she looked at Blake. The second one, though, could only have been described as smugness.

It looked as if my broken woman was coming home properly.

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time Lines

joannebarbarella's picture

We must be into the early 2000s, with the reference to Gollum. I assume it was from the films and not the books.

Blake and Di are wolves of sorts, but they are the kind that protects the flock, not the kind that prowl the edges trying to pick off the strays. This brings with it its own costs, especially for Di, who has been a victim herself.

I don't care what anybody says, retribution needs to be dealt out to arseholes like the Evans family and their sidekicks who think they can get away with anything up to and including murder. All power to Blake and Di and those others who have so far appeared only on the periphery of this tale, like a certain fierce police woman and an Indian-Welsh inspector. Maybe we will see more of them.

In the meantime, let's see Paul nail Gemma's dad.

Blake has a point

Jamie Lee's picture

Unless the Evans, and their buddies, get on the wrong side of someone in prison, there may be plenty of people who would like a crack at those animals. So keeping them in prison until they die wouldn't give them the chance to learn how others felt when they abused them.

Others have feelings too.