A Glass Half-Full (Chapter 10)

Printer-friendly version

(Removed to make Glass available via Kindle Unlimited)

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!!!

I'm so glad to see this continued. Only problem is this chapter is about 60 mb short. ;-)

Interesting that Diane and Nicole are so much alike, except David was clueless about Nicole. Or maybe David didn't need the support that Dawn does. Either way, Pattern sensing hasn't affected Diane and Jenny as much as it has Jason. But I have to wonder, is Dawn so used to it that she is blinded to some opportunities? David is so use to throwing himself into the breach that he can't see any other way? Perhaps that is part of the reason for Dawn. It's time for Dawn to learn something new, a new, maybe better way of doing things.

Thanks, Kristin!

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

wheres the rest of it

i need more, this story has me giddy right now

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Welcome back !

It is a fantastic surprise that you are continuing this !!!

We communicated by email a couple of times and I was kinda spoiled the last time when you gave me a preview of the last chapter before this long hiatus. That was FIVE years or so ago(!).

I read your redux version so I have been waiting with baited breath for the next one.

Great writing and story line as usual !

Kim

Yay!!

Thanks for posting the continuation of the story. It has always been one of my favorites and I'm glad you're continuing it.

Kristin, thank yo so much for continuing

Though you reposted A Glass Half Full here this winter, from it's original postings elsewhre it's been what,four or five years?

It can't be easy to start up,after that long a gap but you have and bravo!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Hooray!!!

A Glass Half Full is finally coming back to our time from the limbo of hiatus!! A pity it's so short, but I'm hoping that Part 11 will not be left hanging for another 5 years ;)

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thanks for

Thanks for all the enthusiasm. This chapter has been through no less than eight full rewrites over that (roughly five year) hiatus. It's most difficult points being that its a very late in the story point to put this sort of philosophy and exposition, especially without a bit of action to break it up. On the other hand, it needs to be there for a number of reasons... but not preachy. So you can probably see why I'd worry about getting it just right.

But... since people still feel it was 'too short' I must have done something right. After all, before converting it to topshelf content format, it was sitting at just shy of 20 full pages. It's not the longest chapter in the book, but its not the shortest either.

Oh, and Glass isn't the only thing I'm coming back with... expect the second episode of my Whateley Academy character (Fling) sometime soon (very) at the Crystal Hall site: Ultimate Disguise.

Double YAY!!

So what's it gonna be? Cargo Shipping? ~_^

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thanks for continuing

but to do the new chapter justice I probalby have to start the book over from the beginning... oh the sacrifices we must make. ;-)

Half-full

Yay! It's here! I remember all those months ago when you said you had it mostly finished. I had to go back and reread that last chapter to bring myself up to date. I really hope you're not going to make us wait as long for the next installment. As always this story speaks to me. It is a lovely work, full of everything I love: action, love and spirit! Great going !!!!

hugs!

grover

I didn't remember the name

I didn't remember the name of this story, so I had to look back at prior chapters to refresh my memory. Once I did I instantly remembered this story and was thrilled that you were continuing it, but then I had to go back and read the whole thing all over again because I was enjoying it too much! ;)

Thank you so much for continuing this story, it's fantastic!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Yay!!!!!

Nice to see chapter 10.
When I spotted that you had released it I went back to my hard disk and dug through all of the old material on it until I found your story. I eventually had to use a search on the title as I had it in a directory under your name Kristin Darken.

I had to do this because I refused to spoil things by just reading chapter ten. I felt I needed to reread the entire thing before pasting in and reading chapter 10.

It flows okay despite the gap of a few years. You must have sat down and read your story a few times to recover the mindset you were in when you first wrote the story.

Well done keep up the good work! And keep those chapters coming :)

AMPWS

__________________________________________________
My computer is powered by the kinetic energy of coins falling out of my bank account.

As the author said

... part of the reason why this episode took so long to produce was that she is trying to thread the needle of writing what is a 'Pagan' series without being perceived as dissing Christians.

So I am curious, are there any readers here who uncomfortable with the Goddess-centric and magical theme of this series ?

Kim

Uncomfortable?

A decade ago, I would have been. I am a very strong Christian, and am not fond of any story that seeks to deny that God exists.

One statement that I heard from another Christian that stuck with me is, "Don't put God into a box."

I am well aware that the Bible can't contain all that there is to know about God and the universe. There isn't enough media (printed, electronic, or otherwise) in existence for that.

The Bible doesn't support or deny the existence of other minor gods, ghosts, magic, or anything like that. In fact, if I were to take some of our modern technological marvels back in time, I would probably be burned at the stake for practicing witchcraft, consorting with demons (as I talked on a two-way radio,) or whatever.

If you are praying to the God of the Universe -- well, so what if the name you use a different name? The God that I worship is good and kind -- in fact, He is Love. If you think that your goddess is the same, who am I to argue?

Also, why is it that so many Christians reject something like Harry Potter, while avidly reading the Chronicles of Narnia, The Lord of the Rings, C. S. Lewis's space trilogy, and the like? I think that, like most people in the world, they tend to go with the crowd and not put a lot of thought into things.

We Christians have been introduced to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In Revelation, the prophet John mentions the seven lampstands that represent the Seven Spirits of God, or the Seven-fold Spirit of God (depending on the translation.) Some say that seven is a metaphor for perfection. Others take it literally. Who are the four that we haven't met yet?

I have nowhere near all the answers. What I have is a lot of questions, and a certainty that God loves me and will eventually take me home.

And he isn't going to care if I'm right or wrong about the details.

Ray Drouillard

Thanks for the very thoughtful

post. I am an Asian who has been exposed to Eastern as well as Western religious traditions so I tend to find that God is reflected in sooo many ways.

The main reason I asked the question is because this series is comparatively unpopular considering the quality of it. Yes, there could be other factors why readership is not as high as say 'Changes' or 'Princess' but the vote count is relatively low so I thought there might be folks who religious traditions made them ignore this series.

Kim

Possibly

To be fair, the re-post of the first portion of the book here didn't include anything significant that was new (until now). So I wasn't expecting it to have a huge readership, after all many people had already read it on Sapphires and even some who hadn't read it there, went there to read the rest so they didn't have to wait for me to post later chapters here. Most of those didn't count towards 'reads' and didn't get votes here.

Another big factor in readership here at BC seems to be a preference for natural/hormone driven transitions or quirks of body chemistry/DNA that end up leading to the protagonist going through puberty in an unexpected fashion, rather than magical transformations by someone already past that age. Though I recall a couple comments from people who said that they enjoyed Glass despite it not being their normal cup of tea and that is always gratifying to hear.

Ray, I have to say that some of the things you say in your post ring very true to me. I cannot remember the extent phrasing, but something along the lines of... "When you do good works, no matter whose name you invoke; you do them in service to me. When you do acts of evil, even if you claim to do them in my name; you do not do my will."

I had a conversation about that topic once, many many years ago. A very close friend from high school shut me out of their life (several years after we graduated) because our religious choices went down roads similar to those of David and Nicole. I talked until I was blue in the face and then some, but no matter how hard I tried to show that I hadn't actually changed and just put a name on what I'd believed all along... because I believed in magic and served the Lord and Lady, I was evil... that I had betrayed our friendship.

The saddest part of all was that this friend was the one who had shared one of the most supernatural experiences I had had with me... the one event that led me to study the occult in the depth that I did. One night, after spending the whole Summer day together as we often did, we were getting ready to sleep and started talking as kids do (you know, staying up all night trying to figure out life). We started with our favorite topic to gripe about, stepfathers... we both had one, we both hated them for much the same reasons. The topic evolved through a variety of things, eventually reaching that big subject, religion and God. Finally, settling into a sense that we'd better get to sleep; after all, it must be getting close to morning; one of us reached over to set the alarm. But it was only 4 minutes past the time when we had started talking. We checked all the other clocks in the house. We ran through the list of things we'd talked about... it took us 20 minutes just to list all the topics... and came eventually to the uneasy and unsettling truth that we'd had this conversation telepathically. There was no way to prove it... and we were never able to reproduce it... but it was one of those moments, for me at least, that redefines the direction of your life.

My friend and I have not spoken since that disagreement in religious choices, 15 years ago.

So... it's actually far more than simply trying to tell a pagan story without offending Christians. Both pagans and Christians can be close minded, and often are, about other beliefs. How many wars would have been averted over the millenia if both sides realized just how similar their beliefs are... some of the worst of them by religions that are divided only by the most narrow differences in interpretation. Are the fundamental pieces of wisdom that contradictory that we should kill people over them? The answer is obviously no, to anyone with even the slightest inclination to read about religions... and yet churches and governments still use these things as a reason to fight.

Phhft!

Uncomfortable with it, me? Hardly! I love magic, and have no trouble with alternative religions. To me, they're all alternative, anyway! ;)
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Paganism? Christianity? Nope its just great writing.

Diesel Driver's picture

Hello Everyone, Don't understand why anyone would be uncomfortable with this story other than the dark side... Actually you might put me there since I'm actually an atheist. But being an atheist doesn't mean I hate religion or disrespect those who truly believe like Nicole. I find there are far too few of those in real life. That I don't care about religion doesn't mean it can't be part of a great story. Someone dissing someone else in a story is usually part of the plot. Anyone who can't understand that probably isn't smart enough to enjoy a good story when they see one. So there! ;-)

Chris

Another night lost to

Another night lost to catching up on previous chapters... :)

More please!

Mir

Magic, Religion, and a whacking good story!

I'm not really big on either magic or religion in fiction, for various reasons. The primary reason is the way it is used as a crutch by too many. "Presto-chango, you're a girl!" or "You're a sinner, you're going to hell." Too easy, too lazy.

In a story like "Glass half full" though, it is a central part of the story and is explored by the author/characters in ways that make you think. Now that might make some people uncomfortable, but I have found the story fascinating. That many of the characters don't draw a line between things is part of the skill and appeal of the story. It says to me that I don't, and may never understand everything that goes on in the world.

So, I just hope that Chaosdancer keeps up the quality of the story, 'cause I really, really want and need to see where the people in this story go. This is war, and what we are seeing is just one battle in that war, shaped by the participants' beliefs and behaviors. I do hope all four of them come out the other side alive and well.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Glass Half Full of Magic

terrynaut's picture

Shortly?! SHORTLY?! Okay. You had stuff to do. I'll settle down and accept what I can get and when I can get it. I'll be good.

This ia a very good setup chapter. It continues nicely from chapter 9, which I skimmed, and introduces a couple of great characters. I can't wait to see where it goes next.

As for religion, I'm one of those who picks bits and pieces from all different religions to follow my own path. I rather like the way this story deals with religious beliefs.

Thanks very much for the chapter. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Very Good, Glad this is Continuing

I had read the chapters that were posted early in the year, but had pretty much forgotten the detail; so, I re-read it all over the last couple of days as I remembered (correctly) that it's a very good story. I'm so glad to see the new chapter and hope that we don't have to wait very long for more.

Kristin, I read in a comment from one of the earlier chapter postings that you were concerned about your employment. I hope the situation has resolved itself in your favor. Thank you for sharing this fine story.

We survived

... more or less. The economy problems this spring hit the theatre industry pretty hard. On top of people not spending money on things like entertainment (which kills ticket sales), corporate giving, sponsor deals, and grant money all dries up. Most of our staff was between 4 and 10 months behind on payroll through the spring I was 6-7 weeks behind... I haven't eaten that many ramen noodles since college). In most businesses, people would have walked away long before that, and we came very close to closing our doors. But we survived it and we will have another season (Sept-May) when a lot of companies collapsed. But its going to be a lot tighter budgets and a hard struggle to recover. And my personal finances are shaky at best... so there's a good possibility that I'll be leaving the biz and find teaching work sometime in the near future (assuming I can make that happen... I do have my MFA though).

Loved it

I was hooked from the first chapter. The magic, the foreboding danger, and the struggle to learn enough to survive are heady stuff. Particularly nice in this story is the fact that the teacher has as much to learn as everyone else and just as importantly is doing quite well in that direction thus far.

Almost 3 years now. Hope you are just busy, not

Diesel Driver's picture

Hi Chaosdancer, It's been nearly 3 years since a new chapter. I hope you are doing ok, and are just busy with real life and not injured, or ill or visiting in laws have invaded. Read your other stories too, the ones I've found so far. Going back to look for some more now.

Bye for now
Chris in CA

Chris

Okay... I learned some stuff

Okay... I learned some stuff about magic and reluctant women. The chapter felt a bit filleristic again, I wish there would have been a higher information density. I'd really love to know what actually makes a person a witch/magician/spiritual and what doesn't.

Next chapter would need some serious action.

Anyway, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

that was a...

hell of a set up for a Yoda joke. good chapter, thanks