Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chap. 12/34

Printer-friendly version
Air Force Sweetheart
TacPzlSolGp
Chapter 12/34

by T. D. Aldoennetti

previous material:

Mom grabs the book from my hands and puts it on her own head. She gets up and walks to the doorway, does a complete spin before returning to the chair and sitting once more. She takes the book off her head and hands it to me.

“When you can get up, walk to the door and back, and then sit again without dislodging the book, call me to watch.”

“Okay…, I mean…, yes, Mom. I wish you had started teaching me this stuff ten years ago.”

“Don’t be silly. Boys don’t flow. Girls do.” Mom gets up and leaves the room as I watch her ‘flow’ from the chair and out into the entryway, listening to her ‘flow’ up the stairs. I can even hear it in her footsteps. I’m in more trouble than I could ever have imagined.


Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf by T D Aldoennetti on Tue, 2008/11/04 - 6:00pm, Air Force Sweetheart -- TacPzlSolGp Chapter 12 is revised and reposted on Mon, 2009/12/14 - 10:18 AM ~Sephrena


Now let's see what other mischief may be found in this continuing saga of Lucyhood:

Chapter 12

 

I practice, then I practice, then somehow I find time to practice some more. Mom comes down and tells me she is going into town for a couple of hours. She tells me, “I hope that you will be able to show me some improvement by the time I get back.”

“Me too, Mom. Bye.” We kiss the air cheek to cheek, and she goes into the garage.

I hear the automatic garage door opening a minute later as I’m walking up and down the stairs trying to keep my head up and the book in place. It’s hard to navigate stairs without looking at them. I’m learning to take a glance and then use the position of everything else to remind me where each stair should be.

It isn’t too difficult in shorts but what if I had to do it in a gown? That makes me think. I rush up and change. Adding my jewelry as well so I am wearing everything and every possible distraction and obstruction that might inhibit my smooth progress is in place. I don’t have enough confidence to go down the stairs first, so I carefully make my way down then put the book on my head and walk around.

For some reason, it is a bit more difficult. My gown seems to bump things which it never did when I could look down and easily dodge them. I need to spot my path and remember it, walking it from memory.

This is a new sensation. I need to know exactly where I am without some of the references. Putting the book on the table I take a look and close my eyes walking my chosen path. At the end I reach down to touch the table and find my imagined path is off from my real one by a few inches. My eyes are still closed as I turn around and walk back a little more rapidly than I did the first time. Now I put the book on my head and repeat the path with my eyes open. Good so far. I repeat it to be certain it wasn’t a fluke before I decide to press my luck.

Closing my eyes, I walk the path. The book begins to slide a little but it stays on my head and I complete the circuit over and back without disaster. I open my eyes for a moment, checking my position in the room before I try to imagine the location of the stairs and, with my eyes again closed, walk past the table, out the door and over to the stairs before reaching out hunting for the banister. I missed my placement by six inches or so but after waving my hand around a moment or two and almost losing the book I manage to make contact with the banister to discover I’m not centered on the stairs.

Holding the banister with the book still firmly on my head and my eyes still closed, I slowly climb the stairs. My gown tries to trip me, of course, since I’m not holding it with both hands. The book seized that golden opportunity to fall from my head. I open my eyes and make my way down again carrying the book.

At the bottom I place the book on the stand next to the stairs and practice going up and down several times without holding the banister and while holding the skirt of my gown up properly.

I continue this a half a dozen more times until I can do it at speed. Up and down, up and down. I realize suddenly that I’m bouncing again and try another half dozen times, but flowing. Now I place the book on my head once more and repeat the challenge nearly at speed. Success. Twice more I try with one failure and one success. I continue this until I have had six successes in a row. Now for the next step. Once again at the bottom of the stairs I close my eyes and more slowly make my way up. Now the real thriller, without opening my eyes I go back down somewhat tentatively. A few more repeats and I am going up and down at speed with the book on my head and my eyes closed. I might make this work after all.

Now for the hard part.

Going into the living room I sit while properly holding my gown then I place the book on my head and attempt to get up. The book falls off and I’m not even half way up. I try a dozen times and each time it is the same result. It’s that little jerk I make as I first begin to rise. I practice getting up and sitting without the jerky movement. That’s quite a challenge. I finally do it in slow motion feeling the muscles in my legs complaining. Getting up and down smoothly is all in the legs.

It feels unnatural, probably because I never needed to do it this way. Mom’s lecture about ‘a scullery maid can never act like a lady’ comes to mind and I am determined to complete my training or at least this portion of it. I’ll be a lady if it kills me.

If I find a prince I don’t just want to wash his dishes and darn his socks, I want the whole enchilada or, perhaps, soufflé. I continue to attempt my rise out of the chair until I think I’m beginning to get the hang of it. Now I try to sit without leaning, impossible. It must be done only with the legs. I put the book on my head and try to get up. My legs are screaming every second but I make it up and the book is still on my head. I try sitting and manage to grab the book before it makes it to the floor.

Once again the book goes on my head, my hands gather my gown and I rise putting all my effort into my legs. Again I make it, so I walk to the door and back.

My legs are thanking me for the change. I try to sit again and manage to capture the book before it falls to my shoulders. I decide to combine my successes for my first ‘ultimate’ challenge. The book goes on my head, I close my eyes and get up walking to the doorway, turning and going to the stairs then holding my gown walk up to the second floor.

“That was pretty good.”

The book falls to the floor as I open my eyes to turn and see Janet standing at the front door.

“You don’t know the half of it. My eyes were closed.”

“Do it again. Let me watch.”

I pick up the book and go back down to the room, sit down in the chair and carefully place the book on my head. Closing my eyes, I get up and the book rewards me by staying in place. I walk to the doorway, out and then walk over to the stairs, climbing up while holding my gown, reaching the top without a problem. I open my eyes and remove the book. After walking down the stairs again, I go back in and sit.

“You’ll never do it if you are always going to sit like that.”

“What’s wrong with the way I’m sitting?”

“It isn’t how you are sitting, it’s how you sit down. You are leaning forward. You can’t do that. Your body must stay almost vertical otherwise the book will fall off.

The reason for the whole exercise is to teach you to remain upright all the time. A lady doesn’t lean except as a form of expression. Don’t give me that look, I’ll bet Mom showed you and she doesn’t lean. Here watch, I’ll do it slowly.”

Janet comes over and flows down into the chair like she’s on a gentle breeze. I try it and feel like I’m in the middle of a hurricane.

“Stand up. Now when I tell you to sit, go down slowly. Use your legs it will help shape them as well as strengthen them. I’ll help you stay upright. Whatever you do don’t plop into the chair.” she moves her arm and hand gracefully to emphasize, “When you sit, flow gently and smoothly down like a feather landing on a soft pillow. Ready?”

I nod She places an arm around me, “Remember slowly and smoothly. Sit”

I start down trying to hold my body upright with just my legs doing the work of getting me there. I can feel Janet straining to keep my torso upright and habit is trying to make me lean. After a few jerks on the way down I am seated.

“Again. Get up. NO!” she stamps her foot. “You know how to get up properly, DO IT.”

She’s beginning to sound like Mom. I rise fluidly out of the chair.

“That was great, Sis.” That’s the first time I ever heard her call me ‘Sis.’

“Could you let me see you get up just one more time before we continue to practice sitting?”

I crash back into the chair and gathering my gown, flow back up.

“Wow. You’re getting good. I’m going to need to practice again so I can keep up to you. Okay, let’s try sitting again.”

She puts her arm around me once again and I try sitting. “That was better, ten or fifteen more and you may have it.”

Well it wasn’t ten or fifteen. It was maybe a hundred and almost an hour. Mom came home before Sis says I have it down.

“Okay you did it ten times in a row with me helping now do it by yourself.”

I rise out of the chair flowing like any lady should. Walk to the doorway and back and then flow once more onto the chair.

“Great. Now put the book on your head.”

I was afraid she would remember the book. I should have hidden it while we were practicing.

“Come on, Sis, you’ve got to get this right.”

I place the book on my head and gathering my gown and my courage, rise up out of the chair walking toward the doorway.

“Keep going out and up the stairs.”

She follows me as I continue and watches me hold my gown as I climb the stairs.

Upon reaching the landing I hear her say, “Walk down the landing, turn and come back down the stairs. Don’t drop the book.”

I do as she says, her critical eye watching my every move.

When I am nearly to the bottom she says,” Now go into the living room and sit on the sofa.”

Now that’s a little different. The chair was a challenge but the sofa is even lower and more difficult. I reach the sofa and sweep my gown out of the way gently allowing the whisper of air to settle me onto the sofa before the gale might blow me into the next county.

“Mommm. She’s ready.”

Mom comes in wearing her red gown, “It’s about time, I had almost given up. Go bring your gown in from the car and get ready, use my room.” When is Tony arriving?”

Sis looks at the clock, “About twenty minutes. He’s guiding Jack here. Jack is driving his own car.”

“Good, You may all follow me from here.”

“Mommm. What’s going on?”

“It’s a kind of celebration. We are doing it tonight since the men can’t make it tomorrow night.”

“Celebrating what?”

“Lucy, don’t be dense. We are celebrating you becoming a lady.”

“A lady?”

“Well, almost. I know there is still a lot for you to learn and we will help where we can, but you are well on your way. Tony is coming over to pick up Janet and Jack will take you….”

“WHAT? MOM, I can’t date a guy.”

“Why not? Women quite often date men, don’t they?”

“Yeah, but….”

“What did I tell you about saying ‘yeah’? ”

“Mommm!” Oops, the look again. “Yes, Mom. I can’t go on a date with a guy.”

“Lucy Ann you are going on a date and you will be a refined young woman. You will not engage in anything I think is improper, and you know what I think would be unladylike. Janet and I will be there with you, so just relax and have fun. Jack is a nice young man, he won’t try to get into… anything he shouldn’t. You’re not married yet, so there is no reason you can’t go on this date.”

“But…, I…, Mommm!”

Mom comes over and reaches out, touching my cheek, “I know you’re frightened, honey. Janet and I will be right there. Now go up and check your lipstick and makeup.” She pushes me out the door toward the stairs and when I’m almost to the top, calls out, “PUT ON THE RIGHT SHOES, those don’t go with the gown.”

I transfer my ID and some money and other things like my compact and lipstick and so on into my clutch before I sit at the vanity and check my face. I’m not made up for an evening so I spend the next fifteen minutes getting ready. I can’t believe it, I’m going out on a date, with a man. I finish my make up and take my perfume liberally spritzing myself. My heart is pounding like a triphammer. This isn’t like receiving orders and following them; this is… a date. A real date. With somebody who thinks I’m a girl. I remember Mom’s last words and change my shoes to the powder blue pumps.

Rushing to the railing, “Mom, should I wear my mink jacket?”

“That would be nice; but not the coat, though. The white will go well with your gown. Could Janet borrow your beige fox? The jacket, I mean.”

“Certainly, does it match her gown?”

“I think it will, closely enough.”

“What will you wear?”

“I have a Chinchilla I can wear. Thanks for asking.”

I take the fox jacket out of the closet and go to Mom’s room, “Sis…, Sis, may I come in?”

“Come on. Great timing, here, zip me. Thanks for letting me borrow the fox.”

“What are sisters for?”

We hug and touch cheeks.

“You’re doing pretty well for us having sprung this on you.”

“I’m shaking like a leaf. If I don’t faint before we get out the door I think I may be all right. What if he wants to kiss me?”

“You’ll have to decide that at the time, I guess. We told him you’re engaged so he probably shouldn’t be going to try anything. He might still forget himself and try for a small kiss when he takes you home. Just don’t go up to the ridge with him.”

“Are you kidding? I don’t want to get within ten miles of it. Here, to wherever we are going, and back. That’s it, end of adventure.”

Just then the doorbell rings and I feel my face flush, then a rush of blood in my ears and the lights going out as I collapse to the bed.

“Lucy, Lucy, are you all right? Mom! Mom!!”

I can hear her, but faint and far away. My limbs seem frozen and I cannot move.

“What is it, Janet? Oh my goodness, what happened?”

“She was telling me she’s really nervous, Mom. Then, when the doorbell rang, she fainted.”

“Janet, go get an ice cube. Tell the men we’ll be down in a couple of minutes, I put them in the living room.”

When I’m able to open my eyes, Mom is sitting there patting my face with a cold wet wash cloth.

“Lucy Ann, how do you feel?”

“I’m okay, Mom. What happened?”

“You fainted just a little. Nerves, I expect. Are you better now?”

“I guess so. I’m scared shitless….” I see her face scowl at me, “Sorry, I’m really afraid, Mom.”

“I know, honey, all girls are like this on their first date. We get excited and frightened and very emotional and then when we take our gentleman’s arm we start to calm down and remember we are ladies and nothing fazes us. Lucy, please just enjoy this night. He’s tame and won’t hurt you. He’s probably just as nervous as are you. He knows this is an important occasion for you but doesn’t know why and we don’t need to tell him. He knows you are engaged but he doesn’t need to be told anything else, so you probably shouldn’t try to explain. Just relax and be an attractive young woman. All right?”

“I’ll try, Mom. Is it okay if I’m still a little frightened?”

“Absolutely, baby. Just be yourself, you’re a charmer, so he can’t help but like you.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of, Mom. Maybe he’ll like me a little too much.”

“Then just slap his wandering hand, and if necessary, his face but don’t put a lot of effort into it. He has to stay conscious you know.”

I laugh. Janet returns from my room and she hands me my clutch and mink.

Mom says, “Wait a minute, Lucy,” and goes to her night stand. She returns with two small packages. “Put these in your purse. If he is thinking about trying anything, then a discreet visit to the ladies room to change your tampon before we leave the Restaurant should be enough to dissuade him.”

I catch on quickly, accepting the tampons, “Thanks, Mom, that’s a great idea. I’ll pretend I need to do that. You know something, Mom. Now I feel calmer.”

“Okay, girls. Lucy, follow Janet. Let’s go wow them.” Mom picks up her purse and Chinchilla wrap.

We enter the living room and I recognize Tony, so the one with his eyes bugging out of his head must be Jack. Janet introduces us and Jack is speechless. He just keep staring. I look at Sis and then at him out of the corner of my eye with a little ‘Okay, what’s wrong with him?’ question on my face.

Janet looks at him, “Jack? JACK? What are you going to do, stand there and stare all evening?”

“Oh no, sorry, Janet, Lucy. I just…, I mean…, Wow! You’re beautiful.”

I glance at Mom with an ‘Are you sure about him? He seems a little funny to me…’ look on my face. Mom just smiles at me.

Jack is still trying to take his foot out of his mouth and not succeeding.

Finally, he says, “Excuse me, may I start over? Lucy, I am very pleased to meet you. I’m sorry, but when they said I would be escorting Janet’s younger sister, I just had visions of someone who couldn’t get a date for whatever reason. You’re a knockout. I….” Abruptly, he holds out his arm for me to take.

Still looking at Mom with questions in my eyes, I accept it.

I’m not afraid now. I’m just considering how I might safely incapacitate him long enough that the men in white coats could come to reclaim him. He’s obviously escaped from some asylum.

Mom goes to take the sedan out of the garage and Tony and Janet make their way to Tony’s car. Jack walks me to his and opens the door of his car to allow me to flow inside. He is watching my every move like an Eagle looking down at a rabbit, considering whether he wants it for supper or not.

Mom leads out in her car with Tony following her and Jack following Tony. He’s still trying to dig himself out of a hole. Finally I can’t stand it anymore.

“Jack! Relax. I understand. Don’t make it worse by trying to make it better. This was a surprise for me too. Let’s just enjoy the evening, all right?”

He gives a relieved laugh and then a little louder one, “Thanks, Lucy. I needed that. I guess I just didn’t expect someone so beautiful. How long are you in town?”

“I’m leaving the day after tomorrow.”

“Oh. I was hoping you would be here a little longer.”

“I’ve been here nearly a week and I must report back by Monday.”

“Report? You mean you go back to work Monday?”

“Yes. Not too long afterward I go overseas again.”

“Oh. So you’ll be gone a long time then.”

“Probably a year or more. Just like last time.”

“Wow. You travel a lot then. Have you seen Paris? I’m going to Paris next month. I’ll be there for three weeks before I continue to England and Cambridge where I’ll perform my post work in computer science.”

“Really? I have an extensive but self trained background in Computer Science. I understand COBOL and FORTRAN and UNIX. I’ve written a few small programs running under PASCAL and use them to do information analysis.”

“You’re joking.”

“Not at all. I’m an analyst and the Communication division has a number of computers which I get to use once in a while. Usually only when I have a big project which would take me too much time. That’s why I wrote the programs so I could narrow the information down to something I could deal with myself.”

“Wow. You’re the first woman I’ve met who actually uses a computer to help process real information. Most of us in the computer science department at the university just use them as learning aids, to practice what we might do someday. It’s funny. Here you are home on vacation and then on your way again. I’m home on break and then I’m on my way to more schooling and research. Put that in your computer and calculate the odds.”

“Jack, I don’t need a computer for that. We’re both from around here, so we’re looking at about one in… oh… say… one and a half times ten to the fourteenth, taking into consideration the entire period we’ve both been in town and away. You’d have to account for our time spent elsewhere, since we might have met anywhere, and the number of people who work with computers in the USA, not to mention the rest of the world. Then figure in the time of year and the increased probability of our paths crossing during your summer break as opposed to, let’s say, winter during your classes…. Add in the fact that you know someone in my family….” I level a meaningful stare at my sister. “Taking all in all, that’s probably — give or take a decimal point here or there — about one in six and a half times ten to the fifth. Long odds, but obviously not impossible.”

“You’re kidding. Wow. Beautiful and a brain too. Do you dance?”

“Yes,” I answer, with a smile on my face, and in my voice, “I dance too.”

“Wow.”

I suddenly realize I’m enjoying myself just talking with him. I begin to wonder where we are going when I see Mom’s car turning into the country club about fifteen miles outside Cheyenne, Tony and then Jack follow her. We meet in the parking lot and walk in together. I look at Janet and she is holding onto Tony like she never wants to let go. Mom is leading the way and Jack and I are coming up in the rear. I’m holding Jack’s arm, but definitely not as intimately as Janet is to Tony. Geez, my first date. We go in and check our wraps. This is the first time Jack has gotten a look at me when I’m not covered in fur. His jaw drops. I decide to play with him a little.

I whisper, “What? Is there something on my gown?” and make like I’m trying to find some spot I hadn’t noticed.

“Sorry. No, there’s nothing. I just…. My gosh, Lucy, you’re beautiful.”

“You told me that before.”

“Yeah but that was just your face. Now the fur is gone and I can see your whole figure. You’re really cute.”

He dug his hole deep enough, now I wonder if he can find the way out of it.

“Actually I’ve put on a little weight. I need more exercise to take it off again.”

“Whatever. I still think you’re cute just the way you are. You don’t look overweight. Maybe you’re like me, I have big bones so people always think I’m chunky. You’re ravishing, I don’t think there’s an ounce of fat on you.”

Well, he seems to be able to fill his holes without getting dirt all over himself.

The Mâitre d’ is leading Mom to a table…. Good, here we go.

The Mâitre d’ holds the chair for Mom, Tony for Janet, and Jack for me. I sit the way I have been practicing, noting a number of others, men and women, in the room watching our procession and seating. Our waiter comes to the table about a minute later and asks if we would like any refreshments before the meal. Mom and Janet each take a glass of red wine.

I thank him, but say I will be just fine with water until the meal. Tony asks for a beer and Janet’s eyes look at Mom and myself then go toward the ceiling. Jack declines also saying water is fine. The waiter scurries off between the tables reminding me of a mouse navigating a maze. Jack leans over and whispers,” I hope you don’t mind but I don’t want anything to drink tonight.”

I lean over to his ear and whisper back, “Not at all. I seldom do myself. Thank you for being so considerate.”


1996_pcc.jpg To Be Continued….
 
 
 
© 2008, 2009 by T D Aldoennetti & Rénae Dúmas. This work may not be replicated or presented in whole or in part by any means electronic or otherwise without the express consent of the Author (copyright holder) or her assigned representative. ALL Rights Reserved, including but not limited to ownership of Characters, final content decision, and more. This is a work of Fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional and any resemblance to real people or incidents past, present or future is purely coincidental. An Aldoennetti Original.

 
 

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Original comments to Air Force Sweetheart Chapter 12

Puddintane's picture

One day at a time

We all live one day at a time. May your future be good.

Today seems to be a good day to comment. I am enjoying the story and look forward to seeing the remaining chapters.

Best wishes to you.

DJ

Posting AFS

If there is a chance that you might not be able to post the last of the story, perhaps you could leave the rest of the chapters with Erin or somebody so they could post them, much as I'm doing with PB's Gabyverse fanfics. That way we could see this completed even if, God forbid, you should be unable to. This has a quirky style and Lucy keeps me firmly hooked, trying to figure out what she'll do next.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather

Mom's Boot Camp

Looks like Lucy graduated with flying colors. And her reward was a Jack-et. he seem to be a winner too.
May Your Light Forever Shine

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

What I love the most about this chapter...

Andrea Lena's picture

...Lucy is unable to realize that she is just as attractive as Jack finds her. She got some excellent advice from mom, though. Just relax and be an attractive young woman. All right?”Thanks once again for a great story!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Air Force Sweetheart-12

Well, Lucy proves to be like any teen on her first date, yet has that quality of command that makes her the Air Force Sweetheart. She has truly blossomed like a rose from a most bitter winter into a spring of new hope.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Finishing School

terrynaut's picture

Please. Does anyone actually do that in real life? I mean do women and girls do everything with books on their heads? Sheesh!

I'm still enjoying the story but I'm going to have strange dreams now. Hmmmm.

- Terry