Wild Magic 28

Printer-friendly version

Tim was waiting for me at the gate to the parking lot, and he walked me back to my truck.

“I’ve got to get a couple of quick things done for Dad, then get home, clean up, and pick up this extremely pretty lady I’m taking out tonight,” he said, then he kissed me. “I’ll see you around 6:30?”

“Uhmm...yeah, that works. I’ll send my other boyfriend home, and then wait for you.” I said, looking innocent and sweet.

He nodded, not really paying attention to what I said, just as I suspected. I smiled at his reaction when he suddenly figured out what I was saying. He looked at me and blushed, then he smiled and shook his head. “All right, I apologize.” He kissed me again, and then stepped around to his car, which he’d parked a couple of spots away from mine. I left the lot and turned left, he pulled out behind me and turned right.

I was trying to decide just what I was going to wear tonight. I had bought a black skirt, a little longer than a true mini, but still above the knees. I wasn’t sure what I should wear with it, though. It was supposed to be a bit cool tonight, so I decided to wear black tights with my black leather boots, and I was thinking of wearing a dark gray silk long sleeve blouse. My necklace and amulet would go well with that, and my gold hoops and my watch would be adequate jewelry. I could wear Mom's black shawl, if that was all right with her.

I got home and went to my room, dropped off my bag and took a bath. Once I had taken care of everything in the tub and I was smooth and silky, I dressed in my black lacy lingerie and brushed out my hair. I dressed and finished my makeup, but something seemed to be wrong, and I couldn’t think of what it was.

I went back out to the living room, and Grandma stopped me. “Emily, would you let me do something with your hair? It’s pretty as it is, but you need a little bit more, if that’s okay?”

“I can see it’s missing something, so go ahead, Grandma.”

She pulled my hair up into a bun and it was exactly what I needed, something to kind of “glam” it up a bit. We had a quick snack of tea and some small cookies, and I was just getting things cleaned up when Mom and Dad came in.

“Emily, you look even more beautiful tonight,” Dad said. Mom took a critical look and pronounced me perfect. They went in to get ready for their night out. Dad had invited Grandma to go with them as a surprise, so she went to get ready also. A few minutes before 6:30, I heard the sound of Tim’s Trans Am. Dad and Mom both came out and we talked for a few minutes, then Tim and I left for my surprise date.

“Okay, so now can you tell me where we are going?” I asked as I got into his car.

“Oh, let’s not spoil the surprise just yet.” He said. He looked quite nice in some beige Dockers and a white turtleneck with a brown herringbone print jacket, complete with leather patches on the elbows. The jacket was nice, but it made him look older somehow.

“I really wasn’t sure, but I asked my Dad for suggestions. He thought his old jacket would look good, but I’m not sure. I think it might be too, umm, old for me, what do you think?”

“Well, on first glance I’d say you need some glasses and a pipe, but really, it doesn’t look bad, Professor,” I giggled. “Just kidding, Tim. I think you look quite nice.”

He chuckled. “The really funny thing is, that was exactly what I first thought. You though, you look simply mahvelous, Dahling.” We both laughed at his attempt at a Billy Crystal impression. “Seriously, you are, as always, very beautiful. I am surprised you’d be out with a schlump like me!”

I got a little miffed at that. “Timothy Davies, you stop that! I won’t have you putting yourself down like that. I’m quite proud to be out with you, and if you put yourself down, then what does that say about me?”

He looked at me surprised at my vehemence.

I smiled, then leaned over and took his hand. “You are absolutely wonderful, Tim, and I’m completely serious. You are nice, polite, funny and very good looking. If I was to place an order for the perfect guy, I’d be pretty close to a guy just like you, and that’s the truth!”

“I’m sorry, Emily,” He said with a smile. “You are wonderful, sexy, intelligent and friendly, and I’m just blown away by how perfect it seems you are for me. I guess it takes my breath away a little.”

I blushed, shyly, but smiled happily.

“There’s only one thing that would make you better, Emily.”

“Oh?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He pulled into a parking lot. “Can ya' sing?”

It was then that I saw where we were.

“Oh, my G...Piper’s Pizza?” Piper’s karaoke night was a legend in our area, although I had never been there.

It was then that I realized what was happening tonight. Piper’s had been advertising an Oldies themed karaoke night. I laughed.

“I’ve never actually tried karaoke before, but yeah, I’m willing!” I said with a smile.

“We draw a song and a number, and when they call our number, we’re up! I was thinking that if you draw the number, I’ll draw the song.”

“Okay, it sounds like fun!” We went into the building, and as soon as you went in there were two large baskets. Each choice was in a small plastic ball that split apart and we made our picks and sat down at a table. A waitress came by and took our order, and then we opened up our choices.

“I’ve got number 11,” I said with a smile, and then Tim opened his.

“This shouldn’t be too bad,” he said. “It’s an old one by the Police, “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.”

It was almost too funny, considering my situation. I couldn’t tell Tim why I was laughing so hard, though. The moderator, Mr Piper himself, told everyone to relax-this was for fun, so if you made a mistake, just keep going, and enjoy ourselves.

“I guess we should have asked where you were going.” I heard from behind me. We laughed when we saw my parents and my Grandma. Tim asked what number they had, as they sat down at the table next to ours.

“We’re number 8,” Mom said.

“Whew, now I won’t feel so bad!” I said. “We’re up for number 11.”

“What song are you doing?” My dad asked.

Tim told him, and Mom, Grandma and I started laughing. Dad knew what was so funny, and he explained to Tim that it was an old family joke. Their song was “Jackson,” a song by Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. Grandma decided not to sing, but she was perfectly willing to go along with a little joke I made when Mom and Dad finally got up to sing.

We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper spout
We been talkin’ bout Jackson, ever since the fire went out
I’m going to Jackson, I’m gonna mess around,
Yeah I’m going to Jackson,
Look out Jackson town.

Well, go on down to Jackson; Go ahead and wreck your health
Go play your hand you big talkin’ man, make a big fool of yourself
Your going to Jackson; go comb your hair
Honey, I’m gonna snowball Jackson
See if I care.

When I breeze into that city people gonna stoop and bow (Hah!)
All them women gonna make me; Teach ‘em what they don’t know how
I’m going to Jackson, you turn-a loose-a my coat.
‘Cos I’m goin’ to Jackson.
“Goodbye,” that’s all she wrote.

But they’ll laugh at you in Jackson, and I’ll be dancin’ on a pony keg.
They’ll lead you round town like a scalded dog
With your tail tucked between your legs,
You’re goin’ to Jackson, you big-talkin’ man
And I’ll be waitin’ in Jackson, behind my Jaypan fan.

Well now we got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper Sprout.
We be talkin’ ‘bout Jackson; ever since the fire went out.
I’m going to Jackson, and that’s a fact.
Yeah, we’re going to Jackson, ain’t never comin’ back.

We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper Sprout.
We been talkin’ ‘bout Jackson; ever since the fire went out...

To Fade

"Jackson"
(Billy Ed Wheeler-Jerry Lieber/Gaby Rodgers)
Originally Recorded 1963

As Mom and Dad took a bow, Grandma, Tim and I held up paper plates. Grandma’s read 9.0, Tim’s said 10.0, and mine said 9.5. Mom came up and jokingly hit Grandma’s shoulder.

“What’s with the 9.0, Mom?”

“Russian judge, leave me alone.” She said, and we all laughed.

Very soon Tim and I heard our number being called, and we made our way up to the stage. I heard several wolf whistles, but I ignored them. We waited until our cue, then gave it our best shot.

Though I’ve tried before to tell her
Of the feelings I have for her in my heart
Every time that I come near her
I just lose my nerve as I’ve done from the start

(chorus)
Every little thing she does is magic
Every thing she do just turns me on
Even though my life before was tragic
Now I know my love for her goes on

Do I have to tell the story
Of a thousand rainy days since we first met?
It’s a big enough umbrella
But it’s always me that ends up getting wet

(chorus)

I resolved to call her up
A thousand times a day
Ask her if she’ll marry me
In some old fashioned way

But my silent fears have gripped me
Long before I reach the phone
Long before my tongue has tripped me
Must I always be alone?

(chorus)

(chorus)

Every little thing every little thing
Every little thing every little thing
Every little thing every little thing
Every little thing she does

Every little thing she does
Every little thing she does
Every little thing she does
Everything she does is magic

Every little thing every little thing
Every little thing she does is magic
Magic magic magic magic magic

Do I have to tell the story
Of a thousand rainy days since we first met
It’s a big enough umbrella
But it’s always me that ends up getting wet.

"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
(Sting)
Originally recorded 1981

We took our bows, and, of course, my loving family had to make their comments. Grandma scored us at a perfect 10.0, but Mom and Dad both gave us 7.5’s! I confronted them, and Mom apologized.

“Sorry, sweetheart, but it really...umm...how can I say this...”

“I shouldn’t plan on competing with Sarah Carrera?”

Dad had to put in his two cents worth. “Honey, if I was you, I wouldn’t try to compete with Porsche Carrera!”

I looked at Tim. “It’s so nice to be so loved, isn’t it?” I said as everyone laughed.

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have to agree!

Andrea Lena's picture

...there's magic and then there's magic... Must I always be alone...apparently not! The magic isn't so much enchantment as enchanting romance, and that's just fine, aye? I'm listening to the Police, ee yo-oh ee yo-oh every little thing....

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

See, the romance is important (Just ask an Italian!)

I'm trying to balance the mystery, the romance and a continuing story so that when I finally meet Angharad, I can have a few hundered chapters of my own! Of course, by then she'll be approaching 3000 or so!

Wren

Number Crunching and Romance

Extravagance's picture

You do realize that the number of chapters depends on their average length?

If you were to make each of your chapters one word in length, you've got enough words in this chapter alone to have more chapters than EAFOAB has right now.
If you were to make each of your chapters 90'000+ words long, then Twenty-Eight chapters would give you a total word count greater than EAFOAB has right now.

My point? The quality of writing is much more valuable than the quantity. You've got a nice story going here, even if not every part is to my taste. There's nothing wrong with friendly competition, even from a woman, but it would be a shame if your quality went down in favor of length.

Oh! And romance is important. And I'm not Italian. Over time, I hope you'll introduce many more characters, and go into depth about their love lives too. We need at least one lesbian couple. :)

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Oh, I'm not competing with Angharad

I just respect the story she's been telling. I don't know if it's true, but I get the impression that it's weird that I've read all of the story, and loved 99% of it. I'm a little behind on my reading right now, so I have a few chapters to read, but I will!

Back to my story-the only problem I would have in writing about lesbian characters is a lack of serious experience with them. I'm not interested in parody or stereotypes, I want it to feel as real as my limited ability can make it.
I only know one lesbian couple, and I guess I could use them in the story...They are very disfunctional, should I base my characters on such a flawed but desperate couple? Maybe!

The only time I worry about length is when my muse refuses to give me anything but a one page story, and then I feel like I'm cheating. I just try to go where my characters tell me they need to go.

Thanks for reading, and for your comments. (Now I gotta go research my lesbian friends-@*^$%@#!).

Wren

Wild Magic 28

song selection has me wondering if Tim can sense magic

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nahh!

It was just dumb luck-and an author trying to have fun!

Wren

Porsche Carrera

Hmmm... being compared to an expensive German sports car is not a bad thing. :)
hugs
Grover

It is when it comes to singing!

I was trying to think of a nice way to say they were pretty bad, and Sarah Carrera came to mind. Once I thought of her, what would make it obvious she wasn't so good while involving Sarah? I just used the only other Carrera I could think of!

Okay, all you Porsche-files out there-I know a Porsche Carrera makes a beautiful noise, but it ain't good for karaoke!

Wren

I am amazed ...

No one made the Porsche connection before. I've wanted to for months but *I* restrained myself... Grover.

-- GRIN --

Still wonder who has it in for the two magic using girls and was our heroine manipulated into becoming a girl?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Ohhhh...Kamakazi Karaoke....

That's just sooo cruel! You could really get stuck with something where you have "no clue". I've seen friends do that to each other, sometimes it's not pretty. HA HA I have a Kamakazi button on my program...let my computer pick your song bwahaaaa.......

As a KJ I get requests for Jackson on a semi regular basis. It's always fun to see their reaction when I ask if they want the original or the cover and they respond with 'the original with Johnny Cash'. Then I tell them that "No that's the cover, the original was Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood back in the 60's". Actually other than the fact that Lee could sing and Johnny couldn't there isn't much difference between the two.

Actually, the Original...

...AFAIK, was sung by the Kingston Trio, of all people, on their '63 album Sunny Side. John Stewart rasped the male part and Nick Reynolds sang the female (in his natural voice).

My guess is that after their success that year with "Reverend Mr Black" and the follow-up, "Desert Pete", the Trio had first dibs on anything that Billy Edd Wheeler wrote. If they released "Jackson" as a single, nothing came of it.

(You can probably guess how much trouble a city kid in California had trying to figure out what they were singing about. Or even what some of the words were.)

Lee and Nancy (and Johnny and June) recorded it in '67.

Eric

Kingston Trio

Ahhhh.... thanks for the correction, didn't know about that, though I did think that '63 was a little early for the Sinatra/Hazelwood version. More trivia to confuse my singers with. ;-)

I like how

you brought Sarah Carrera into this.