The White Wolf Chapter -18-

Printer-friendly version

Jesse has inherited his Grandfather's ranch. Now he must fight his father to keep it while he must honor his Grandfather's last wish of seeking Coyote.

Thank you Hope for your encouragement and help in editing. Thanks to all who have commented or left Kudos.

Chapter 18 Helena

The rest of the ride into Helena was strangely quiet. Jesse was lost in her own thoughts about being a mother and giving birth. This was one area she had not contemplated even after the strange dream on the mountain. Just surviving and learning took her concentration. Now that she had some time to think, she was more confused than ever. What should be her role in the world? Coyote and the Great Spirit wanted her to be a shaman, but what did she want for herself? She liked the idea of owning the ranch and protecting the inhabitants that lived there. Did she love Gabriel? He was nice enough to her, and treated her and her family kindly. The two families had lived in the valley for almost the same length of time. Why they had not intermarried, she did not know. Maybe it had something to do with the different faiths. Gabriel's family had always been strong in the Christian faith. Her family had always been strong in the Native American ways. It wasn't until the recent generations that Christianity began to intertwine within the members of her own family.

The two families, though separate because of faith issues, came together often to avert disaster in the valley. They stuck together through drought, blizzard and storm. If one family fell ill, the other helped out until they were well again. Their charity didn't end at the borders of their ranches either. If a family in the valley fell on hard times, they knew they wouldn't go hungry as long as they were willing to work. The patriarchs of the families always were willing to lend a hand up, but not to just give a man money. The patriarchs thought that took away a man's pride. And when a man's pride was gone, so was his manhood, so they had work a man could do to retain his pride and feed his family. If the man worked more than was required he would often walk away with enough to pay the rent.

Before her Grandfather died, even with all the regulations in place to keep people from hiring “children”, he would “hire” young men and women to help out around the place. He knew their families were struggling and some were putting away money for college. Her grandfather thought that if the child was rewarded early for hard work, they would get ahead in life, as it would develop a strong work ethic. One thing he insisted from the younger people he let work around the ranch is that they had to keep their grades up. He kept in touch with the school and knew when one of his charges were struggling. He and Agnes would tutor the student to help get the grades up. Since President Johnson's War on Poverty, her Grandfather found that more families needed help than he could help. He had to be careful about whom he helped. He hated to turn anyone away, but if a person showed up on his door step with sagging pants, their hats on backwards and an attitude that they deserved to be helped, he would sadly turn them away.

Jesse intended to continue with this work, but instead of just turning someone away because of their looks, she might ask the locals if this person could be helped. Maybe her shaman abilities would help her in this work. As she was thinking about helping others, she was thinking of ways she could help the wild life in the back country. If she did marry Gabriel, maybe she could expand the amount of wild area that she could protect. Also, she had heard of some of the smaller farms struggling in the valley and in the next valley over. With their combined worth, maybe they could buy some of these. She needed to speak with Gabriel about his plans for the valley, would he accept her as a shaman, would his family accept her, how would he react when she told him how her family is intertwine with the wolves, and how would he react when she told him he kissed a boy. With a big sigh, she thought she might not tell him the last.

The doctor heard her sigh and turned around, “Are you Okay?”

“Yes, Just a lot of thinking. I need to have a long talk with Gabriel. There are still times when you wish your mother was around to talk with. {sigh}”

“You know you can talk with Virginia or Helen anytime.”

“Thanks, Doc.” said Jesse. “I appreciate that, but how many mothers have had boys turn into she wolves, remain as girls and …” She trailed off as tears started to leak from her eyes. Her emotions had reached their limits. She smiled at the doctor. “I'm sorry, I guess I am just a silly girl.”

“Don't ever say that. Crying is what makes women stronger than men. We men, bottle up our emotions until we explode in anger, have ulcers, or die from a heart attack. You need to learn how to have a good cry.”

“We are at the clinic,” said Tom. “and just a few blocks from my office. I have a few things to get done and start Jesse's paperwork. Call me when you need me to pick you up.”

The doctor and Jesse got out of the car and walked into the clinic. The doctor walked up to the receptionist, “I'm Doctor Henley here to see Wanda.”

“Oh yes, she told me you were coming. It is nice to finally meet you. Can I get you a cup of coffee?”

“Yes, I think I will. Jesse do you want something?”

“May I have some water?”

The receptionist asked them to have a seat as she went to find Wanda and their drinks. About five minutes later she came out with the drinks and told them that Wanda was setting up a room for them and would be with them shortly.

A rather fit woman came to the door that separated the waiting room and the offices and labs in the back. She called out, “Doc Henley?” The two of them walked over. “It is so nice to meet you face to face Doctor. I'm Wanda Brown.”

“Its nice to meet you as well. Let me introduce you to Jesse Hartman. She's the one that'll be in court tomorrow. Are you sure you can have the results to me in time?”

“I'll process the DNA personally. Let's use blood as our reference. It will be easier and I won't have to use as much. What I don't use I will keep in case there is some confusion later. Jesse if you will sit down over here I'll get a small vial of blood.”

Jesse sat in the proffered chair while Wanda tied a rubber tourniquet around her arm. A small prick and some blood in a vial and they were finished. “There finished. That wasn't too bad was it?” asked Wanda.

“I hardly felt a thing,” said Jesse. “Thank you for being gentle.”

“We'll let you get back to your other clients,” said Doctor Henley. “We have an appointment with Doctor Jones on one of the upper floors.”

They left the office and found the elevators. There was a kiosk there with the doctor's offices listed. After finding the right number, they entered the elevator and rode up to the floor. Again, Doc Henley walked over to the receptionist and introduced himself.

“The doctor is with a patient and has another waiting. He asked me to take you to his office and make sure you're comfortable.”

“We're a little early, so we'll wait.”

A little girl in the corner of the office caught the Jesse's attention. She didn't look much older than Merry. The mother that was sitting next to her had tears in her eyes, but hadn't started crying. She just held her little girls hand with a look of despair. Jesse looked at the Doc Henley, “You go on back, these two look like they could use some company.”

“Okay, but be careful. You need to know when to back away.”

“I will.” Jesse walked over and sat by the little girl. “Hi, what's your name?” asked Jesse.

The little girl looked at her mother who smiled and said, “Go on, you can tell her.”

The little girl looked down and said, “Amanda”

“That is a pretty name. My name is Jesse. I have a little girl about your age at home. I bet you two could be friends.”

“The other girls don't want to be my friend. I get tired and can't play with them”

“I am sure my little girl will be friends with you. She gets tired too. Her name is Merry.”

“Mommy, can I go play with Merry.”

“We don't know where they live.”

“We live about 2 hours west of here, but you and your mommy can come and spend the weekend with us.”

“I don't know. We need to stay close to the doctor if they find a heart for you,” said her mother.

“Please, Mommy.”

“I'm sorry I got her hopes up,” said Jesse.

“That's okay. By the way my name is Joan.”

“Miss Jesse what happened to your arm?” asked Amanda.

“I fell off my horse and broke it.”

“You have a horse?”

“Yes, we live on a working ranch.”

“Mommy, as soon as I'm better I want ride a horse”

“As soon as the doctor says we can, we'll go and visit Merry and her mother.”

You have brightened her day. Thank you.”

“It would do my little girl some good to have someone her age she can play with.”

May I have a hug, Amanda?” asked Jesse. She reached over and hugged the little girl. As she touched the girl, Jesse could see inside her heart. She could see the damaged that was caused by disease. The little girl was lucky to be alive.

The nurse called for Amanda. The three girls got up and walked over to the door. “It was nice meeting you, Joan. Amanda, as soon as you feel better, my horse, Big Spot will take you for a ride”

Jesse walked into the office where Doc Henley was reading a journal and slumped into a chair. “You're acting just like my daughter when she wanted advice but was afraid to ask. What gives?” asked the old doctor.

“The little girl in the waiting room. Her heart was severely damaged by disease when she was younger. Now they are waiting on a transplant. I don't think she has much longer to live. Maybe just a few weeks. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Was she sent here at this time for me to help heal her, or am I just another innocent bystander that can't do anything to help. I can invite her up to the ranch and make her last days more enjoyable. This is so frustrating.”

“Welcome to my world,” said Dr. Jones from the doorway. “These little people come here on the verge of death and their parents are hoping beyond hope that I can save their children. There are many I can save and I have, but there are some that are beyond my abilities. Those are the ones that drive me to a therapist.”

Jesse stood up, “It is nice to meet you Dr. Jones. Have you been listening long?”

“Call me Daniel. Amanda asked if you could come and sit with her and her mother while I examined her. I usually don't allow this, but she seemed happier today than she has in a long time. Her mother said it was because you stopped and showed her attention.”

“It was nothing. I saw them sitting there lonely and my heart went out to them.”

“What were you saying about being able to heal Amanda?”

“Daniel, what do you know about shamanism?” asked the old Doc.

“I have heard about it tales and that many of the indigenous people of the world believe they have magical powers. I have always put it in the realm of witch doctors. Why?”

“Daniel, can you keep an open mind?” asked the older doctor. “I would not have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it, but Jesse has met Coyote and has been given a gift for healing by the Great Spirit.”

“Robert, we work on patients everyday. What is to say that what we do are not modern miracles, a gift of healing. I don't stake my reputation on having all the answers, but on looking to every conceivable opportunity for these children. The only thing I don't like is for some charlatan to offer false hope to one of my patients and wreck a family.” The young doctor turned to Jesse, “Now tell me more about what you know of my patient.”

“When I hugged her I could see the damage done to her heart by some disease she had when she was younger. Also, I could tell she doesn't have much longer to live if she doesn't receive a heart transplant or a miracle. I didn't offer either to the family, as I came here to speak to you about my own little girl, and I'm still unsure what the Great Spirit would have me do in this case.”

“Not to be mean, but so I understand this better: IF you have the gift of miraculous healing, why don't you heal your own daughter?” asked the young doctor.

“Dr. Jones, I understand your skepticism, but I am just a tool of the Great Spirit. Sometimes he wants me to heal someone, sometimes I am to point them to a medical professional, and sometimes I am to escort them to Coyote to be taken to the Great Spirit. In the case of my little girl, I am to bring her here for you to fix the hole in her heart. In the case of Amanda, I am unsure, but I know I am not to escort her to Coyote. It is my privilege to help care for the People as a shaman. There is an old shaman back at my ranch who will help lead me in these paths as I learn to listen to the Great Spirit. I am still young with a great deal to learn.”

“How do you know your little girl has a hole in her heart?”

“Dr. Jones, lets discuss this over lunch as the tale is longer than we have time for here. And, we need to see Amanda.”

The young doctor and Jesse left the office and walked down the hall to the examination room. “Before we go in, what are you going to say to them.”

“Doctor, I have invited them to visit us on the ranch and that seemed to perk the little girl up some. The invitation is real and unrelated to what happens in here. In here, I will do what ever is asked of me, but I will be praying in the language of the People under my breath.”

“Okay, let’s go in. If you need to leave nod at me.”

“Okay”

As the two walked in the young doctor said, “Amanda, Miss Jesse came to be with you as you asked.”

Amanda's Mother prompted the little girl to say thank you. “Amanda's doing much better since you hugged her and invited her to your ranch,” said Joan. “Maybe this is a turning point with my baby,” she continued hopefully.

The doctor sat Amanda on the examination table and asked, “Are you ready? Let’s slip this dress off so I can hear your heart better.” Jesse and the little girl's mother pulled the dress over her head. Jesse could see the fear in the young lady's eyes. She took the young girl's hand in hers.

“Don't be scared. We're here to help you feel better.”

The doctor started by listening to the small child's heart by placing the stethoscope on her back. “Breathe in and hold it, just like you did last time.” As the cardiologist was listening his face contorted in confusion. “Breathe in again.”

Jesse was silently chanting in the language of the People. Though she didn't know the meaning of the words, her spirit was confirming she was saying the right chant. The little girl's mother was watching both the doctor and Jesse. She had hold of her daughter's other hand when she began to feel a warmth in her abdomen. She closed her eyes and she thought she could see an old Native American Medicine Man dancing in the room. She opened her eyes quickly and thought she still heard the rattle.

The doctor switched his stethoscope to the front of the little girl. “Breathe in, please.”

The young mother closed her eyes again. The old man was still in the room dancing. As she started to concentrate on the old Indian, she could hear the rattle clearly and the old man singing. The room faded to a campfire in the wilderness as she watched the man dance around the fire. She could smell the smoke and feel the heat. She could feel the light breeze as the fire danced in rhythm to the old man's singing. She was so hypnotized by the syncopated rhythm of the dance/chant, she didn't hear the doctor say her name until he touched her.

“Joan? Joan are you okay?” asked the doctor.

“I don't know,” she said as she sat down. “When I closed my eyes I thought I saw an Indian Medicine Man dancing in the room.”

“Let me get a nurse in here to sit with Amanda and we'll talk in my office. Amanda, you were very good today. The nurse will help you put your dress back on and then get you a treat. Ladies if you will follow me into my office.” As they left the exam room, the doctor told the nurse to get a new set of vitals on the child.

Doc Henley watched the young doctor and the two ladies walk into the office. “Daniel, is everything alright?”

“I don't know. I have a patient whose heart was damaged and now it sounds as healthy as any girl her age. I have a mother who says she sees an old Indian dancing in my office. I don't know what to think.”

“Miss...?” Doc asked the question of the young mother's name.

“Joan”

“AH, Joan. I'm Dr. Robert Henley. Tell me what happened in the examination room just now,” ask the older doctor.

“We were waiting in the room for the doctor to come back with Jesse because my daughter decided she wanted Jesse to be with us as Dr. Jones examined her. When they came in, we were instructed to undress Amanda.”

The old doc stopped the young mother, “Amanda?”

“My daughter. But for some reason she was more scared this time. I guess she sensed my fears as I didn't think Dr. Jones was going to give us good news. Jesse told her that she didn't need to be scared as they were there to make her feel better. Jesse held her hand and I held the other. I started to feel a warmth in my lower tummy, and when I closed my eyes that is when I saw what looked like and old Indian dancing in the room. The longer I held Amanda's hand the warmer my tummy became. I closed my eyes again and saw the old Indian. As I concentrated on him, I could hear him singing and shaking his rattle. Slowly the room changed and we were no longer in the room but around a campfire. I could smell the smoke.”

“Interesting,” said Doc Henley. “Have you ever experienced anything like this before?”

“No. You think I'm crazy, but I'm telling you that is what I saw.”

“Not at all,” said the old doc. “I practice west of here and have seen and heard many things. You're not crazy.”

There was a knock on the door. The nurse entered with Amanda and her vitals to hand to the doctor. The doctor looked at them then handed them to the older doctor.

Dr. Henley looked through the chart a few minutes and then asked, “Joan, when was your last gynecological visit?”

“It was about a year ago. Why?”

“Bear with me a few minutes. How many have you had since Amanda was born?”

“I had the follow ups after the birth, but then money became tight. My husband was truck driver and in the Army Reserves. His unit was called up or else we couldn't afford to see Dr. Jones. With him gone I haven't had time to see doctors for myself.”

“Did you get sick at the same time as Amanda when her heart was damaged?”

“Yes?”

“Did the OBGYN say there was anything wrong with your reproductive system?”

“No. I wasn't pregnant and I didn't complain about anything, so he took a PAP smear and a cursory look and that was that. I think he was over booked that day.”

“A few more questions and I might have a few explanations as to what was occurring earlier. What is your ethnic heritage? Do you have or does your husband have much Indian blood in your family?”

“My husband has some Plains Indian in him, but he has never tried to find out how much. My great-grandmother and great-grandfather were both full blood Crow. That was on my mother's side. My father's side had some Indian blood too.”

“Do you know what a Shaman is?” asked Jesse

“I've heard of them, but I don't know much of what they do.” said Amanda's Mother

“They're mostly teachers and carry the wisdom of the First Nations with them,” said Jesse. “Some are spiritual healers, who heal the spirit of those who have encountered evil. Still others have the ability to heal the body. All are conduits for the People to the Spirit world.”

“Are you telling me I maybe a shaman?” asked Joan

“You may have some connections to the spirit realm, so we can't rule that out. However, Jesse is a Shaman,” said Dr. Henley. “Her connections may have helped spark your own connection. Here's what I think happened in the examination room. When Jesse held Amanda's hand and Joan held her other hand it opened the spirit world. I am not sure who the old Medicine Man may have been, he could have been one of Joan's ancient ancestors or one of Jesse's, but he was looking for away to enter our world to heal Amanda. As a bonus, Joan your reproductive system may have been damaged by the same disease that damaged Amanda's heart. I suggest that you get a thorough gynecological exam and let Daniel keep an eye on Amanda's heart.”

“This is too much to take in.”

Jesse asked, “Joan are you working?”

“Yes, I'm a cook in a small restaurant until I find better.”

The young wolf grinned, “I think you have just found better. How would like to come live on my ranch and cook for my hands and me?”

“May I think about it?”

“Call this number when you have made a decision. This is Tom, my foreman's son. He lives locally. If you need any help getting out to the ranch, let him know.”

“I'll call Tom either way. Thank you for healing my daughter.”

Jesse stood and hugged the young mother, “Thank you for letting me meet your lovely daughter.”

Dr. Jones said, “Be sure to check with the receptionist to set the next appointment for Amanda.” With that the mother and daughter walked out.

“It has been a most interesting morning,” said Daniel. “I need some lunch and I want to talk to some more about being a shaman.”

“And I need to talk to you about my own daughter.”

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nothing like

saving a couple of lives on the way to the airport. Nice writing.

Getting out of the way

And let spirit do the driving. Young Wolf you are the antenna that Lets the power of spirit find a way into the physical realm. Walk in Peace and walk in Balance, bless you.
Wonderful story do not change a thing.

Love
and
Huggles

Michele Whitewolf

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

It is always best

It is always best to get out of the way of the Spirit. Sometimes the Spirit my decide to trample one like an elephant if one is standing in the way.

Thanks for reading.

Barb Allan

Helena

The story is picking up interest again. I just wish the chapters were a little longer as I'm like a dog laying by the door waiting to bark at the postman. I hate waiting!

White Wolf continues to

White Wolf continues to deliver with new characters and a look at Native American magic. Amanda-beloved, her mother Joan-God is gracious will hopefully accept Jesse's-the Lord exists" offer.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great news that Amanda is

Great news that Amanda is possibly cured, Merry will definitely love meeting her. Great story thanks for sharing

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Excellent 'sidestep'.

It's wonderful that Jesse is on her way to becoming a 'full-blown' shaman. Loving this story and I'm 'itchin' to learn the results of the court hearings. It's cruel the way the courts move so painfully slowly.

Another wonmderful and rewarding chapter. Thanks,

XX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Always

Renee_Heart2's picture

Expect the unexpected with Jessie around. It was the will of the great spirit for Jessie to meet Amanda & her mom. It was also mint for the little girls heart & moms reproductive system to be healed by Jessie.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

The will of the Great Spirit

Sometimes the will of the Great Spirit will lead one to where He wants one. Sometimes One just stumbles upon His will. Sometimes it is just best to keep an open mind.

Thanks for reading.

Barb Allan

Still A Cool Story

I enjoy this, and I can't wait to see where it goes! I hope the DNA tesat works. Coyote & the Great Spirit could have changed that (yipes!) but I think there will be some way to foil her Dad. I can't imagine Coyote or the Great Spirit losing on this or on Amanda and Merry. It'll work out somehow.

Wren

This story has such Potential

and I really like how Jesse is developing as a person as well as handling the transformation of sex. She, for I have no doubt of it, is learning her mothering skills rather quickly :)

This story is a real treat to read ! ^^

Sephrena


Jesse has inherited his Grandfather's ranch.
Now he must fight his father to keep it while he must
honor his Grandfather's last wish of seeking Coyote.

 

The White Wolf
 
by Barbara Allan
Copyright© 2012 Barbara Allan

 
Image: Free Wallpaper from http://www.scenicreflections.com/