Get A Life!~Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Get a life 13

Miss Templeton then handed me a letter.

‘I’ll leave you alone to read it and then I’ll come back in about ten minutes Ma’am.’

‘Thanks,’ I said distractedly, fingering the letter that was addressed to David McKerrell in spidery handwriting...



Get A Life!

By Susan Brown

--SEPARATOR--

Chapter 13

Previously …

‘Are you sure that you aren’t mistaken? There must be quite a few McKerrells about and then again there must be other relatives that could claim the title and lands.’

‘There are a few distant relatives, but you are the one who is the only direct descendent of the Laird. Anyway, as soon as I saw you, I knew.’

‘Knew what?’

‘That you are the one or perhaps the sister of the one.’

‘Why, how?’

‘Look above the mantelpiece.’

I looked up and there was a portrait of a strikingly pretty woman.

I now knew what she meant. I had stared at my reflection often enough and the likeness was uncanny.

It could have been me in that portrait.

I looked at the portrait again, my eyes pricking with tears. It was all a bit much and I felt overwhelmed.

It looked like my life was going to change, yet again.

And, och aye the noo; the story continues…

‘You are the spitting image of her.’

‘I am?’ I whispered, ‘I’m nothing like as pretty as her.’

‘Oh, but you are. How could anyone ever think that you were a man? Lady Constance was even lovelier in the flesh.’

I would have loved to have known her. If her portrait was anything to go by, she must have been a real beauty.

‘How was she related to me?’

‘She was your grandmother; she died about eight years ago and The Laird never got over it.’

‘When did Grandfather die?’

‘Just under a year ago, peacefully in his sleep. He left a letter for you, if you were ever found. I will go and get it.’

She left the room and I sat down in a large easy chair. It was all a bit of a shock and I wondered if I was dreaming. How could all of this have happened? I was just a girl trying to make a new life for herself. I had come to the island for a fresh start, not dreaming that I had very strong roots here. Roots that seemed to mean that I was somehow in charge , well not in charge, but the owner of much of the island. What did that mean to me? Would I still have a job? Did I want a job or was I expected to take over and run the place?

I was still puzzling over things and giving myself a bit of a headache when Miss Templeton came back. She was carrying a tray. She put the tray down on a table.

‘Tea?’

‘Yes please.’ I said.

A few moments were taken up with pouring and doing the ‘one lump or two’ thing and then she handed me the cup and saucer. Being strictly a mug girl (no comments please), I wasn’t used to such finery and the cup rattled a bit, but that could have been due to my shaking hands. I put the cup and saucer down on a table by the chair, before I spilt the tea on the very expensive antique looking carpet.

Miss Templeton then handed me a letter.

‘I’ll leave you alone to read it and then I’ll come back in about ten minutes Ma’am.’

‘Thanks,’ I said distractedly, fingering the letter that was addressed to David McKerrell in spidery handwriting.

I put the envelope on the table and picked up the cup. Taking a few sips of the sweet strong tea, I put the cup down again on the saucer. I noted that I could see the lipstick marks on the cup.


‘I will have to refresh my lippy soon,’
I thought.

I kept looking at the envelope, feeling reluctant to open it but then, taking a deep breath, I picked it up and slit it open.

Inside was one sheet of folded paper.

With a sigh I read the letter.


Dear David,

If you are reading this, I have hopefully gone to a better place.

It is difficult for me to put into writing my feelings; feelings that I have kept bottled up for many years. Your father and I never saw eye to eye on anything, I suppose we were both stubborn and liked to have our own way.

Your father brought your mother up to Scotland before they were married. I did not approve of the marriage, as I believed at the time that she was more interested in money than any love that she had for your father. I told him in no uncertain terms that I did not approve of the marriage and if he went ahead with it, I would cut him off.

Your grandmother did not agree with this and argued against such draconian action, but my stubborn side won out and I never saw either of your parents again.

I understand that Constance did keep in touch with your mother and father for a while, but the replies to her letters dried up and that was that.

I was only made aware that I had a grandchild many years later, through my solicitor of all people, who did some conveyance for your father and also arranged a deed pole to change your family name. He should not, of course, told me any of this, but he was a close friend and he was always trying to effect a reconciliation between father and son.

Time passed and your parents moved again and used another solicitor for that and so I lost any contact details. When my Dear Constance died, I realised that life was too short to harbour old animosities and so I tried once again to try and find your parents and in fact used a detective agency for that purpose. Eventually he tracked down where your had parents lived and I then wrote to my son in an attempt at reconciliation.

I received a reply saying some rather hateful things. It appears that your father blamed me for everything and that he never wanted to see or hear from me ever again. He did say that you were no longer living at home and had gone off after having a row. Somehow, I was to blame for this, although no details were given as to why you had left home.

I still wanted to make peace with your mother and father, but then learnt that they had both tragically died. My grief was almost overwhelming that I had been unable to make peace with my son and his wife, but it was not to be.

When I knew that I had not much longer time to live, I searched through my conscience and realised that I still had a grandson that could take over when I was gone. I could do nothing for you while your parents were alive but now I could try to make some small amends for my rejection of my son and daughter-in-law. To date you have not been found, but as you are now reading this letter, although I cannot speak to you face to face, I will try to talk to you this way.

You may have made a good life for yourself. Perhaps you have a wife and children. If so I am happy for you. However, the situation on Muckle is a serious one. Although I have not been on the island much over the last few years due to my failing health, Claire Templeton has kept me informed as to the affairs of the estate and the island.

Young people are leaving for the mainland, as there is not much to do. Some of the properties on the island need repairs done. Businesses are going under for the lack of customers. The roads are getting worn and the state doesn’t seem interested in helping and grants are few and far between even though representations have been made to the Highlands and Islands Enterprise on a number of occasions.

Although the island council do as much as they can, they are bound by the rules and regulations of central government.

What I am leading up to is this. The island needs a leader and the Laird is that leader. My health and other concerns have made me loose touch of the situation. Claire and her assistants do what they can, but she has to constantly seek approval for any improvements and I am fast coming to the stage when I am unable to help. Indeed, now that you are reading this letter, I am beyond helping anyone.

David, you are my legal heir and you have the responsibility of carrying forward the future of Muckle. I know that it might be a sacrifice to drop everything and go and live on the island, but the lives of all the islanders rest in your hands. You will have the help of Claire and others and the assistance of a legal and accountancy team in Edinburgh to make sure that you keep inside the rules and regulations that can and do cause many a headache.

It is up to you whether you take on this task. I have tried influencing others and it does not always work out the way it should. If you do not agree to take over, then the government will or the Scottish National Trust, a fine organisation but not always in tune with the people. I have always believed that I had a duty, as my father did, to look after the island and its people. Although you do not live there, I would like to think that you would, for the sake of family and responsibility, take up the reins and help our island to prosper and go forward.

I am tired now and will need to finish this letter. David, I do hope that you will be found and that the future of Muckle will be safety in your hands. I wish that I were able to get to know you, but it was not to be.

I wish you well for the future.

Sincerely yours

Andrew McKay, your grandfather.


I put the letter down. So I was now Lady Peploe, tasked with the responsibility of looking after the island and its people. It was all a bit much to get my head around.

I wondered onto the terrace and looked out on the park; my park if everything I had heard was true.

I would have like to have met Andrew and Constance, my grandparents. I was denied that possibility by a stupid family feud.

‘You have read the letter, I see?’

I turned around and saw Miss Templeton. She stood there looking a bit concerned.

‘Yes.’

‘I do not know the contents, but assume that your grandfather has cleared a few things up.’

‘I think so; I need to think things through. Its all a bit much to take in a the moment. I came here to have a nose around and then if I was asked I was just going to say that I was the tourism office and that I just wanted to introduce myself. Never in my wildest dreams that I ever considered that all this was effectively mine. Its like a silly, hard to believe novel.’

‘Its no novel and its more like fate. No don’t smile like that ma’am, I am not mad. You came on this island for a purpose and now that you are here, you can be a big part of things and help us to grow and prosper.’

We went and sat on a bench overlooking the ornate gardens. I noticed a few gardeners, hoeing or whatever they do, but I wasn’t thinking about them, but all the other things that I had found out.

I put my business hat on.

‘Right Claire, may I call you that?’

‘Please do that, ma’am.’

‘On one condition, you must call me Chloe, no I insist. Being a ma’am makes me sound and feel old.’

She looked at me, struggling with herself.

‘My father would spin in his grave if I did that.’

‘Alright, how about if its Claire and Chloe when we are alone and Miss Templeton and ma’am, if you have to, when we are in company?’

She thought for a moment and then smiled, ‘are you ordering me to do this?’

‘Yes I am Miss Templeton,’ I replied, grinning.

‘Well in that case, I will accede to your wishes…Chloe.’

‘Right Claire, tell me what happens now?’

‘I have your authority to inform the relevant people and organisations?’

‘Yes, if you will, that would take one worry off my shoulders.’

‘I am here to take as much of that worry from you. One thing The Laird taught me was get the right people working for you and delegate as much as you can.’

‘One thing my title, Lady Peploe, do I need to sign anything or prove who I am?’

‘I will ask Mr Campbell the solicitor to come up to us as soon as possible to clarify matters, but I assume that your name is Chloe and not David McKerrell?’

‘Yes, I changed it by deed pole some time ago.’

‘You still have your birth certificate and other proofs of identities under your previous name?’

‘Yes, I have.’

‘Then that should suffice. I need to tell you that while my father was running the estate for The Laird, I studied estate management, which, as part of the degree course, included elements of the law, accountancy and a few other useful things. Being an only daughter, he always wanted me to take over from him and The Laird was very supportive and actually paid for my education, bless him. What I am saying is that I am aware of the law regarding certain matters, in particular inheritance and I believe that we should not have any problems with your somewhat unique situation.’

‘Then you accept me as I am, a woman and not just a bloke in a dress.’

She looked at me searchingly.

‘I treat as I find and I find you to be a lovely young lady. I am not sure of your legal status, whether the law considers you to me a man or woman, but you now have the legal clout to overcome many obstacles. As I say, you are a lovely woman and cannot imagine you as being anything else. ’

My eyes started watering a bit then and I turned away and looked at some swans flying across the lake.

‘Thank you for that Claire.’

I took a deep breath and turned back to her.

‘I think that until we get everything sorted out legally, we say nothing of this to anyone.’

‘Why is that, may I ask?’

‘Because, when it is known, I expect I will be pressurised to do things that I might not want to. I want to help as much as I can, but I need to know exactly what I have inherited and what I can and cannot do before my position is generally known. I do not want people turning up at the door with a begging bowl if I haven’t the means to fill it.’

‘I don’t think that you need worry about a lack of money, but you are right. We need to make sure that everything is place before we make any announcements official or otherwise.’

‘I will carry on doing my job for the moment. One of those jobs is to see as much of the island as possible and report back to the mayor and Mayoress with suggestions on how to increase tourism. I will use the opportunity to see in what way I can help.’

‘Will you tell Sally and Angus?’

I considered for a moment.

‘No, I do not want to jinx things by telling everyone about it until we have the legalities sorted out. Do you need me to do anything else?’

‘Can I have your phone number. We can talk if we need to and of course, please come back as often as you can; it is your real home after all. When I have spoken to the solicitor, I will let you know when he can come.’

We spoke a bit more and I promised to return the following day. She gave me a sheaf of papers to read including the portfolio of the properties that I owned, the employees and the financial status of the estate and lands. I glanced at the figures and my eyes widened at the amounts stated.

I hugged her before I left and she was a bit embarrassed about that, but I wanted her to be a friend as well as an employee. I think that, despite our age differences and her reluctance to be seen as acting ‘above her station’, we would get on famously.

~*~

I smiled as I waved and then left on little Pinkie, her tyres crunching on the gravel drive as I went down the long lane leading to the road. Claire had said that I should have used one of the cars in the garages as they were mine, but I declined, as people would ask questions. I also didn’t feel comfortable about using anything from the estate until I had confirmation that I had in fact inherited, rather than some long lost relative that suddenly came out of the woodwork.

On my ride back, I tried to think about my incredible news. Perhaps Claire’s assertion that it was fate that brought me to Muckle was true. I had no idea, but what I did know was that nothing would be the same again.

I felt a bit mean about not telling anyone about my good fortune, but I had to be sure that this wasn’t just a mistake. Too often in my life I had faced disappointments and I believed that if I went around telling everyone that I was Lady Peploe and mistress of all that I surveyed then there would be an awful spanner in the works that would make me fall flat on my face.

Should I tell Alistair?

Once again, I was full of doubts. It would undoubtedly change the way he perceived me and I wasn’t sure that he would be happy for my change of status. Men are funny creatures and I was so frightened that he would not like for me to be the recipient any forelock tugging.

I reached the top of a hill. Pinkie was a bit out of breath and I wanted to give her a breather before continuing, so I pulled over to the side of the road and put her on her little stand. Taking off my helmet, I shook my long hair out. Helmet hair is one of the downsides of scooter riding and I always carried my trusty hairbrush to untangle my wayward locks.

There was a grassy hill over to my left and I walked up it and at the top, I sat down, avoiding the occasional sheep doo-doo as I did so. With a sigh, I looked across the field. The sea was glistening with the reflection of the sun. Over to the left, in the distance was another island, I had no idea which one, as my internal compass was non-existent and geography was never my strong point. I could paint my finger and toenails with precision and panache but without Tom-Tom, I haven’t a clue where I am, which is one of the reasons why I strayed off the beaten track and found my new ‘home’.

I looked around; it was a good vantage point where I was sitting. I could see along the coast a bit and the mountain was there in the distance, ever present and overlooking everything. I promised myself that I would go up that mountain when I could, but not on a day when it was shrouded in mist like it was now.

I was suddenly quite emotional. My girly pills did that to me sometimes. Well I blamed the pills anyway. One second I felt as high as a kite and the next second full of doubts. This time it was because I loved the idea if everything panned out, I would be able to help everyone and then realising that the responsibility was very daunting. I didn’t want to do anything wrong and I also did not want to drive away my friends like Sally, Angus and more importantly Alistair. People might treat me differently and I was just getting used to being seen as an ordinary girl…

Then, what would be the reaction of the locals to my good fortune? I wondered what Ma McTavish, the landlady from hell would say and what about the obnoxious Cameron? I bet that he would insist that he get his cottage back.

I liked that cottage and dreamed of living there. Under all the muck and mess there lay a lovely picturesque cottage. Maybe I wouldn’t be able to live there. I would be expected to live up at The Manor. I remembered that the cottage was a council one, so that was that…

I looked over at the island in the distance and noted that in the short time I had been sitting there, clouds had crept up and the island was now shrouded in mist. It looked like we were in for another belt of rain and it was heading my way.

Sighing, I stood up, brushed the grass of my once white capris that now had a green tinge from where I had been sitting on the damp grass, that I wasn’t aware was damp.

I could hear thunder in the distance as the clouds raced towards Muckle and so I hurried to Pinkie, running as fast as I could in my sandals. I then put on my rather unflattering, lime green coloured waterproofs, as I didn’t want to get a soaking and then starting Pinkie, I raced back to town to try to avoid getting a soaking.

I nearly made it to the café, where I was going to have a quick lunch, but got soaked in just a few seconds, twenty feet from salvation.

I dripped into the café and Molly looked up from behind the counter. There were a few people in the café but it was hardly packed. Maybe I could help her…

I shook my head; time enough for that later, if I could.

‘Ah Chloe, it is you then, what will ye have?’

‘Can I have a pasty and a cup of tea please?’

‘Coming up in a jiffy, take that stuff off, you are making a puddle.’

I took off my wet waterproofs and left them by the door and then growled as the clouds rolled away and sun came out.

I would never get used to the changes in the weather!

After a jiffy and a half, Molly came over with my lunch and two cups of tea and then, after seeing to me, she sat down opposite.

‘Any news then, hen?’ she asked as she eyed me speculatively.

I looked up in alarm. Did she know about me? I knew what it was like on Muckle, if a red squirrel farts on top of the mountain, it would be news in the town and all outlying villages before he or she finished blushing.

‘No news, why, have you heard anything?’

‘Och, only that ye had a meal with Alistair and ye appeared to be getting on rather well. Also, that man Cameron was shooting his mouth off to his cronies in the pub. He told everyone who wanted to hear, and some that didn’t, that he had given ye a peace of his mind and that he warned ye off living in his cottage.’

‘Never mind about Alistair, we are just good friends, but Cameron, that slimy toad wouldn’t know the truth if it hit him in the face. I told him what I thought about him and scared the pants off him. He is all bark and no bite.’

Molly nodded.

‘I thought as much. He lies in his sleep, that one.’

~*~

I had to be quick, as I had agreed to meet Sally over at the council office. Also, I didn’t want any more searching questions that I couldn’t or wouldn’t answer. So I ate up as quickly as I could, said my farewells to Molly and then made my way over to the council office.

Pushing the door open, and went in. As usual, the place was empty, I wondered if anyone actually worked there, or was it some sort of Marie Celeste thingie.

I made my way to my office and knocked on the door. I stepped back as the door was opened by a big, correction, very big man.

‘Oh,’ I said, ‘you must be Hamish McAllister?’

‘Yes, an you are Chloe McKerrell, my but, you are a bonny wee lass.’

I felt that he was undressing me with his eyes. He was looking down at my chest with his tongue hanging out and hadn’t bothered with my face.

‘I’m taken.’ I said suddenly.

‘Whit?’

‘My boyfriend is Alistair.’

‘Och, I know that, everyone does, but there’s no law against lookin’.’

‘As long as you don’t touch the merchandise,’

‘Don’t mind me lass, its chust my way.’

He finally looked at my face.

‘Whell, ye dinna look much like a man. Ma McTavish told the milkman, that you were a man in a dress…’

I heard a noise behind me.

‘Hamish McAllister, I have told you before to keep a civil tongue in your head. Now have you finished?’

‘Aye, it’s fit for a king, sorry queen now.’

‘Be off with you, Hamish, I’m sure that you have other things to do.’

‘Aye, I haf,’

After a final leering look at my chest and a sigh, he left the room and it immediately seemed bigger without his bulk taking up so much of it.

‘Well Chloe,’ asked Sally, ‘What do you think?’

I looked around and I saw that it had been tidied up now. All the boxes and rubbish had disappeared and the table and chairs were in their allotted spots and an ancient looking computer and screen was on the desk, I wondered if it ran on gas...

Over in the corner was a filing cabinet that was probably old during the second world war, but it looked functional enough. There was a phone on the desk and I had to blink twice, as I had not seen dial phone other than on old TV programs.

‘Erm fine.’ I said.

‘Sorry about the ancient stuff, but it will keep you going until we can find the funds to update things a bit. That phone is a laugh isn’t it? You had better use your mobile and put the costs down to expenses.’

‘I’ll dig out my laptop too,’ I said, ‘that computer was old before I was born,’

‘Ha-ha, very funny.’

We both giggled.

‘Look, lets go and have walk along the front; it’s a nice day and I think that we’ve had our allocation of rain and thunderstorms for the day. Angus wanted to be here, but he’s on the mainland, trying to ask for some grants from yet another government scheme. Little chance of that, but we have to try. There’s a danger that we might have to raise more funds by increasing the rates and people can’t really afford it. Anyway enough of that.’

I agreed to the walk along the front and we soon found ourselves strolling along the short promenade. We sat down at the end and watched the waters lapping gently up the shore. A few children were playing on the beach and the occasional dog walker. It was quite peaceful.

‘So Chloe, you have had a chance to have a look around, what do you think?’

I had a crisis of conscience; I couldn’t do it. Sally and Angus had trusted me and gave me a job without even seeing me in the flesh. On top of that I considered that Sally was a good friend, even though I had only known her only for a short time.

I know what I had said before to Claire and also to myself, about keeping things under wraps but I needed to tell Sally. Earlier, I had glanced at the bank balance and investment portfolio and had wondered why things had been left to slide here. The trouble was, I believed, that Claire had not had the power to do anything much except keep things going until inheritance matters were finalised.

I made a snap decision and hoped that I wouldn’t regret it or that things would go pear shaped.

‘I don’t think that financing will be a problem.’

‘Its always a problem. We have to fight for every penny…’

‘Not any more.’

‘Why have you been up to the mountain and found a gold deposit?’ she laughed.

‘No,’

‘Then spit it out girl!’

‘You see, I own the island,’

‘WHAT!’


 
To Be Continued...

Angel

Please leave comments and/or maybe a kudo, cos its nice to hear from you.

up
277 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks!

koala's picture

I've been waiting for the latest chapter - and wondering where your tale will go. You certainly keep it interesting - and I like your style. Now I'm (of course) waiting for the next chapter, which I'm sure you'll post in your own good time (RL permitting).
Thanks again.
Koala

Koala

Inside every older person is a young person wondering what the heck happened.

Really Good Chapter...

Of course, as soon as one person on Muckle finds something out, everyone else on the island seems to know it by the end of the day. Not that I expected Chloe to be able to keep the secret for long -- it seemed to me that it was bound to show up in her attitude and increased confidence, even if she didn't explain anything.

I'm guessing that Alistair will be able to get used to the idea. Beyond that, though, I suspect Chloe will be finding out soon that even (or especially) if you're in control of the money, you can't please everyone. Now that a local source of funds has been found, tourism and modernization may not be everyone's idea of how to proceed.

I suspect that a lot of townspeople aren't going to believe that Chloe's presence on Muckle was a coincidence and will assume that some kind of behind-the-scenes manipulation was taking place, but I don't know whether our author would want to follow that up. (As far as that goes, could it be true? It certainly didn't seem that the fix was in -- she discovered the ad for the job in a newspaper on her commute train and the Skype interview with Angus didn't exactly go well.)

I suppose this might all be premature. Way back after the prologue, someone suggested that the purse Chloe lost in the mugging might come back to haunt her somehow. Assuming it contained David's ID, could someone use it to try and impersonate him and claim the estate? Probably even more far-fetched than the last possibility -- but there may well have been folks out there who knew that one David McKerrell was in line to inherit the title and estate of the recently deceased Andrew McKay, Laird Peploe.

Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Eric

Interesting idea about someone impersonating David

...but in today's world of DNA analysis, even if nothing else is accepted, a few hairs on the late laird's hairbrush would be enough to establish Chloe as his heir. There might rather be a blackmail attempt, threatening to expose Chloe to the world, but I doubt that would work. Chloe is already known on the island for who she is and what her history is in a general way. Letting the outer world know the details could put some people off, but I doubt it would do anything for tourism beyond making Muckle an even more visible place to visit.

SuZie

Love Your Stories

littlerocksilver's picture

Just spent a few days in Scotland, with stops in Edinburgh, Invergorden, Kirkwall, and Ulapool. I blended them a bit to envision your lovely little island. I picture the town as looking a bit like St. Margaret's Hope (they do have some trees there) and a smaller version of Ulapool. Sue, your stories are so sweet, and I am eagerly waiting for you to pick up again with some of those that have been foundering by the wayside.

Portia

Thanks 2

Hi Susan..Just had to put a few words together to simply say thank you.Been a fan for a long time and really enjoy your stories and your style of storytelling.I'm enjoying "Get A Life" with Chloe & all on Muckle..now awaiting patiently for each new serial chapter hoping that all is going well for Chloe and in the end she makes Muckle and herself proud.

A fan Lillian..xx

‘You see, I own the island,’

Elsbeth's picture

Another great chapter, she is right thought making sure that she will still be able to make changes. Of course, people will look at her differently but it will most certainly help making changes.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

of all the people

she's come in contact with so far, Sally knows when to keep it mum.
great chapter, thanks

I really love your writing style

I really like your writing style. I've read some of your other stories and have not been disappointed yet...
Keep up the good work!