Shadow of the Heart Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version


Shadow of the Heart

Chapter 11

Across the Void?

After that breakfast everything settled down to what passed for normal here in Wind Haven. When I was not hunting or studying or playing the Countess I was watching over Grandmother's recovery. No one second guessed me when I talked of magic and what I thought happened to her. I was in charge so I felt I had to keep everyone from going back to the city for now. Sera said the Tangents were still floundering so we did not push it. She watched them with her spy bugs looking for signs that they were coming back together. I had time to plan how to take them out once and for all and I took it. I did not want to put anyone in danger till I had a plan.

Grandmother woke three days after we cast the spell. She was weak but recovering. I was in Countess mode when I was informed she had woke. I knocked before I entered her room. Seeing her awake made me smile. She looked at me and gave me a weak smile. I sat on the edge of the bed "You had me worried there for a while. I hope you don't plan to do that very often? We need you around here, I need you."

She pushed up a little "You seemed to be handling things fine. I think you are ready. Bring me my bag please. I have something for you." Her smile took on a hard edge I did not like. I went over to the dresser and picked up her bag turning I brought it to her. She took it and dug in it for a while making me wonder what she had in mind. She pulled out a silver box I had never seen. She sighed handing me the box. "Do you remember the box test? That is how you open this box."

I held the box and put my will into the box "Open please." The box took a lot more will than I thought it would to open. In it sitting on a cushion of velvet was a strange crested ring. I lifted the ring setting the box down. It had a crest of a Sword and Rose in crystal. I had never seen such a perfect ring. The ring called to me like something out of a dream. I could not take my eyes off the ring.

Grandmother sighed again "That is your key to Sanctuary. It is not part of this timeline. Sanctuary sits at a nexus point in the time stream. I can not advise you on this. You must decide if you are ever going to use that ring! To use it is to take on the role of a very unusual mage. A timeline rider. I can not teach you anything else. The rest you must learn from others or on your own. In Sanctuary maybe you will find someone who can teach you. You may learn some of what you can learn there studying here but it would be slow. You must decide if you need to learn fast or slow." She took my hand "The darkness is at bay, I can feel it. You are at a crossroad in your life. You need to decide if you are what you are now or more. Use the ring or not it is up to you." She changed the subject "I am hungry can I get some soup?"

I sent Lily for some food. I was lost in thought for quite a few moments. What was I going to do? I had responsibility here in Wind Haven but if I could learn more magic would that not help? This is quite the problem.

I thought about the problem for three days while Grandmother got better. Finally I decided to try the ring. I would leave Grandmother in charge while I was away. I debated if I should take Dan or not finally deciding to take him along. I wanted to know Grandmother was recovered so I took one week to plan my portal crossing.

In the week I made sure all of the guests that wanted to go back to the city did. So Wind Haven was mostly empty for the time Dan and I would be away. I felt all kinds of concerns about leaving Wind Haven even for the short time I planed to be gone. Finally I could put it off no longer I had to go now or not at all! I went to the mirror room with Dan in tow. I took a deep breath and used the ring to open a portal to Sanctuary. At first nothing happened then the portal open but not a normal portal. This one was super strong and pulled Dan and me off our feet into the blackness.

To be concluded in the third book of the Tales trilogy "Chasing Tales" Coming in February. (I know this one is very short but it is what it is.)

As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcome and Loved!

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Definitely looks to be a good

Definitely looks to be a good story. Wonder if Amber and "The Countess" will become friends and join forces against the Tangents of both her world and that of Sanctuary?

wow

Alecia Snowfall's picture

wow. this was a roller coaster. I wonder where all this shall lead to! Very nice Gypsy. I look forward to Chasing!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

wanting more!

Wow you left us hanging there- classic cliffhanger style! Can't wait to read what you have cooked up!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Now anything can happen.

I say your story rocks. This chapter answer one of my biggest question: the Link to Santuary. I will wait for February with high hope. :)