Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 4

Printer-friendly version

“So what do you have for me?” Hiromi asked as she pulled out of the parking lot. Reina then began to explain what the Swan Song committee was requesting of Ripley.

When Reina was finished explaining, Hiromi shook her head. “Are they nuts?”

“I’m just the messenger Ripley-san.”

Hokusai View of Fuji off Kanagawa Province and Yokohama
Chapter Four

Synopsis- Hiromi Sato (Captain Tom Slater) and Operation Swan Song continue to make slow progress in their efforts to topple the Yakuza family led by Goro Watanabe.

 

~*~

 
A few things happened that Monday morning, one odd and the other a concern to Hiromi. Both happened shortly after she and Chuck woke up.

After a good morning kiss, Chuck said. “Is everything all right? You seem a little off of late.”

“I’m fine. Have I been doing something wrong?”

“No, not at all. It’s just since you came back from Kushiro, I don’t know how to put it but you seem different.”

“Different as in bad?” Captain Slater had reason to be concerned. By now, the only person who seemed likely to discover Hiromi Sato wasn’t who she appeared to be was Charles McBride.

Even if he wasn’t Yakuza, his discovering Hiromi was actually someone else could have fatal consequences for Tom Slater.

“No, just different. Forget it.”

Tom Slater couldn’t. She was genuinely concerned right then. Feeling an urge to go pee, Hiromi loosened herself from Chuck’s grasp and began to get out of bed.

“It’s been a long time since I last licked you in the morning.” Chuck told Hiromi.

Tom forced a smile. “Give me a couple of minutes and you can have me.”

Chuck smiled. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Hiromi went straight into the bathroom. Before using the bidet, Hiromi went pee first. When finished, Hiromi just transferred herself to the low mounted plumbing fixture used for washing one’s anus and genitalia.

‘What guy goes down on his girlfriend?’ Hiromi asked herself as the bidet washed her vulva. Tom Slater was about to engage in a sex act she had never once contemplated doing when male. Were Hiromi Sato and Chuck McBride somehow out of their minds?

As Tom sat there, she repeated a message she had been telling herself for at least a week. ‘I got to do what Chuck wants. No matter how much I dislike it or find it distasteful.’

Hiromi re-entered the bedroom a few moments later and presented herself to Chuck. After a quick kiss, Hiromi laid herself down at the far end of the bed with legs spread wide, at the same time Chuck positioned himself by kneeling down on the floor. Once they were both set, Chuck began licking his girlfriend with considerable gusto.

Expecting to flinch the moment Chuck’s tongue touched her genitalia between her legs, Hiromi instead shivered in response. The Australian continued to lick his girlfriend till Hiromi had climaxed. After which Hiromi asked Chuck to stop.

“I love you my little sports car.” Chuck said.

“Love you too.” Hiromi replied back. Chuck then climbed to his feet and immediately lent his girlfriend a helping hand. This helped pull Hiromi to her feet. At once, Chuck took Hiromi in his strong arms.

After a few passionate kisses, Chuck and Hiromi went about their usual morning routine: exercise, a shower, and then Hiromi and Chuck both getting dressed and ready for another day’s work.

Chuck had just put down his glass of orange juice, when Hiromi emerged from the bedroom. “Kimi-chan, you look smashing.”

“Thank you,” Hiromi said as she took a seat across from Chuck. Juanita was already there with her employer’s coffee.

“You went back to the old way you did eye makeup.”

“I did?” Hiromi said after taking a sip of her coffee.

“Yes you did.”

“I must have forgotten. You don’t like?”

Chuck smiled. “Doesn’t matter. You always look smashing.”

Hiromi was enjoying a morning bowl of oatmeal, when Roger Hyde and Reina Shimizu came into the apartment. Reina wasn’t wearing a scarf that morning. She was not in receipt of the latest message from Swan Song yet.

“Morning boss. Will you be taking the car to work this morning?” Roger asked

“Yes I will.” Hiromi replied back. Her third week of working undercover inside the Watanabe family was already under way.

For the trip into Yokohama that day, Hiromi asked Chuck to put the top down on the Fairlady. It was a Sunny if brisk September day.

“Are you sure?” Chuck asked.

“Positive.” Hiromi answered back at the same time noting the look of displeasure on Roger Hyde’s face. If the former SAS man had his way, Hiromi would be commuting back and forth to work in an armored car.

The Monday ride into work was ordinary. Chuck was making small talk and Hiromi driving as if she was preparing for the Japanese Grand Prix. They were outside Kanagawa Bank in a little under thirty minutes.

“This is where I get off,” Chuck said after giving Hiromi a goodbye kiss. “Will I be getting a ride home tonight?”

“Of course. I have business to do at the Bank this afternoon. If I can get done early at Watanabe, we’ll have lunch.”

“I look forward to it Kimi-chan. See you later.” Hiromi then put the Fairlady in gear and drove off.

While finishing her drive into the office, Hiromi continually checked her appearance in the rear view mirror. Even at one traffic light taking the time to redo her lipstick.

A few minutes later Hiromi was at Watanabe Trucking. As she climbed out of the car, Hiromi saw Reina, Roger, and the rest of her bodyguards rapidly approaching her.

“All set boss?” Roger asked.

Hiromi mentioned the roof of the Fairlady. Roger said Kimo would take care of it. “I’m all set then.”

‘These things are killing my feet.’ Tom thought as she walked towards the elevator. On her feet that day, were a set of two-inch heels. It was only the second time Tom had picked this particular type of footwear to wear. Or had it been Hiromi who made the decision?

Tom was feeling very confused as because of this as she walked onto the elevator. ‘Stay focused Tom. Remember you have a mission to do and when it’s over a life far away from this place.’
 

~*~

 
Gabrielle Tanaka arrived in Japan in the early hours of Monday evening. Her flight was from Washington DC via Los Angeles arriving at Tokyo-Narita airport. After a good night’s rest, Gabrielle made her way to the office of Inspector Yoshida.

“There’s nothing new to report. So far as we know Agent Chrysanthemum hasn’t made contact yet.”

Unlike other members of the Swan Song committee, Gabrielle wasn’t impatient. She had no other cases to work on, and would therefore be in Japan for some time in order to keep tabs on Ripley.

“Is there anything new I should know about?” Gabrielle asked.

Inspector Yoshida passed the FBI agent a slim folder. “Very little right now. I got some other work to do, if you’ll excuse me.”

“Thank you Inspector.” Gabrielle left Inspector Yoshida’s office a few moments later. Outside a cubicle had been set aside for the FBI agent. It was there that Gabrielle would read about the latest Swan Songs and any other intelligence gathered about the Watanabe Yakuza.

Later in the week Gabrielle discovered what the term OWL in the email from 1st Lt DW Connors referred to. Shaking her head in disbelief, Gabrielle muttered to herself.

“Bastards! Total bastards!”
 

~*~

 
Elsewhere in the world Dr. Wagner and her team were conducting a case study on the updated DNA formula. One hundred sixty two men and women, all either with terminal cancer or serving time for non-violent drug offenses like DUI, manslaughter, burglary, and corruption to name a few, had volunteered to be test subjects. Three labs, the one at Fort Detrick in addition to ones at the National Cancer Institute and the University of Virginia, were used for the study. Working eight hour shifts five days in a row, Dr. Wagner and two other teams would be able to transform forty five patients a week. In all 3.5 weeks would be needed to conduct the first phase of the new DNA study.

The DNA gathered for the test subjects had been collected at five locations scattered throughout the United States. Advertisements were run in local newspapers asking for people to volunteer for a research study. If chosen, a patient would get $1,000 and a full medical checkup in return for them donating a sample of their DNA.

Naturally more people came forward than Dr. Wagner and her team needed. The main criteria for those selected were- the person must be in good health, between the ages of 20 and fifty (another study involving teenagers and children would be done at another date and time) and that the percentage of patients chosen be 65-35 female to male. That because those stepping forward to undergo the DNA therapy were in reverse proportion. Race and other criteria didn’t matter.

If it didn’t matter, that didn’t mean there were some odd demographics in the men and women that were eventually selected to give a DNA sample. One research study was done in South Florida, and ended up with a high proportion of Hispanic females as a result. (When asked, these women said they volunteered in order to earn money for household expenses or for upcoming Christmas shopping)

Another study was done in a major northeast university town. There a high proportion of the women selected were from South Asia. When these women were asked why they volunteered, most stated they did so in order to help pay for their college education.

The result was of the 106 women who volunteered a DNA sample, 36 were Hispanic and thirteen were South Asian. Of the remaining fifty seven women, there were only eleven non-whites.

After receiving the first DNA therapy, volunteers would have to wait one month before an attempt would be made to return them to their original form. Between DNA therapies, all test subjects were kept at a secure facility in Northern Virginia.
 

~*~

 
“No Chuck, I don’t know what time I’ll be home,” Hiromi told her boyfriend over the cell phone. At that same moment, Hiromi was twirling a strand of her hair with two fingers. “Don’t wait up for me.”

“I won’t. Love you Kimi-chan.”

Hiromi wasn’t alone, so she replied back in a conservative fashion. “Me too. Talk to you later.”

As soon as she was off the phone, Hiromi’s assistant, Yuka Kawamura spoke. “Chuck nice, Chuck handsome, but gaijin always go away.”

Maybe Yuka was right, but this was none of the woman’s business. “You have work to do. Do it!”

Yuka hung her head and went back to work as told. She was feeling ashamed at being so personal with her boss and former University of Tokyo classmate. ‘Hiromi-chan, whatever happened to the fun loving friend I once knew?’

It was the Tuesday after her return to Yokohama, and Hiromi was working late. She was at The Orleans, a club Dai Hashimoto got a share of the profits from. Besides Yuka, Hiromi had two other people assisting her.

What Hiromi was doing wasn’t really an audit, but a randomly selected check of the bar’s financial records. To do this one week was chosen, and everything that had happened during that time frame, from the sale of liquor to the purchase of office supplies was gone over in meticulous detail. All receipts checked and totaled and then checked against the records for the Orleans. It was very detail oriented work.

The Orleans was a busy bar, and checking just one week of business activity took time. Hiromi had set aside two days for the job, but a third day could be needed also.

All was going well so far, that is except for the presence of Dai Hashimoto. The Saiko-komon seemed to trust Hiromi and her team as much as Dai trusted those who ran the club. Which meant very little, if at all? Dai was constantly looking over Hiromi’s shoulder in addition to asking many questions.

“Dai-san, this is how we do it. I study one week, totally chosen at random. If anything improper is happening, I’ll find it.”

The Saiko-komon said nothing for almost a minute. The silence was unnerving to Hiromi, for Dai seemed more menacing this way.

“You should check all the records.”

“That isn’t practical.”

“Why?”

“It would take too long. I could do it, but I’d have to have someone else supervise plus I’d have to hire outside help.”

Dai began shaking his head violently. “No, no. You must do it and only you.”

Hiromi worked hard not to appear intimidated by the Saiko-komon. “With all due respect Dai-san, I cannot undertake such a job. I have other responsibilities, jobs that Oyabun requests me to do.”

The Saiko-komon got the message that Hiromi was making. That didn’t mean Dai was happy about it.

“Dai-san, I’ll do this for you. You pick any week since the last audit took place here. I will stay here and supervise this additional financial check till its completion. Is that acceptable?”

Another records check of The Orleans meant 2-3 more days of work for Hiromi and her crew. That in addition to Hiromi’s other responsibilities, both Yakuza and non-Yakuza related. If Dai accepted the offer, Hiromi was going to have to put in 14-15 hour days till at least the coming Sunday.

Hiromi tried to put this in perspective. ‘Think of it this way, you will be too tired to have time for Chuck. Is that really a bad deal?’

After a minute of unnerving silence, Dai gave his answer. “I accept.”

“Then let me and my people continue the work we’re doing now. I promise you’ll be satisfied with the results.”

The Saiko-komon bowed to Hiromi before leaving the room. Hiromi and her team sighed with relief as soon as Dai was out of the room.

“You heard it people, we got work to do.” Hiromi said to her assistants. It was going to be a long week.
 

~*~

 
Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho.

Susan Zebriskie, Captain Tom Slater’s sister, was busy vacuuming the two-bedroom home she lived in along with her husband Simon and their son Shannon. It was shortly before eleven in the morning and the phone was beginning to ring. After turning the vacuum clean off, Susan picked up the closest available receiver and called.

“Hello.”

“Hi sweetheart!” said the familiar voice of Simon Zebriskie. “How are you and Shannon?”

“We’re fine, I was just vacuuming. What’s going on?”

“I got some news. My new orders have come in.”

Susan and Simon had married a little over three years earlier. Simon, then like he was today, stationed at Mountain Home AFB. His five-year tour working Air Traffic Control at the base was almost at a close and the couple was eager to learn where they would live next.

“So what base did we get?” Susan, like her brother Tom, was used to the nomadic life of a military dependent. Some people didn’t like it, but Susan found it enjoyable for the most part. It was interesting to live in different places both around the world and in the United States.

“We got our #2 US base on the wish list I turned in.” Enlisted Air Force personnel are allowed to turn in a list of bases they would like to be assigned to. Of course, the military assigned people where they would be needed. Still some people got their wishes granted.

“Altus?” Altus AFB was located in southwest Oklahoma. It wasn’t in the most populated part of the USA, but the base had a great reputation with Air Force families. The city the base was located in, also named Altus, was supposed to be a wonderful place to raise a family.

“Yes Altus. We will be moving there in January.”

“That’s great news.”

“Yes it is. Susan I got to get going. Love you.

“Love you too. Bye.” Susan Zebriskie, after then hung up the phone before going back to her vacuuming.
 

~*~

 
Instead of her usual oatmeal, Hiromi was having pancakes for breakfast on Thursday morning. She was about to take her second bite full when Roger and Reina walked into the apartment.

“Morning boss.” Roger said to Hiromi, whereas Reina just bowed. “We’re ready any time you are.”

“I’m still eating breakfast.” Hiromi growled back. Her moodiness wasn’t an act. Could her bodyguards let her finish breakfast in peace? Hiromi had only gotten home around 11:45 the previous evening.

“Take your time boss.”

Hiromi must have been a little fatigued from the night before, for only now did she notice what Reina was wearing that morning. She had a pink scarf on. That meant Chrysanthemum needed to meet with Hiromi.

That could prove tricky. It was too late to tell Chuck he’d have to get to work in another fashion. This meant Reina would have to ride home with Hiromi that night. The previous day, Reina had retired for the evening by the time her boss had finished work. (Roger having to ride home with Hiromi after work. The Brit no fonder of the way his boss drove than Chuck McBride was.) The female bodyguard would have to work late Thursday, that’s if she wanted a meeting with Ripley.

Reina made her meet with Ripley. Hiromi not being able to quit work at The Orleans till past 11 p.m. Dai Hashimoto again keeping a close eye on Hiromi and her team for much of the evening.

Once they were in the Fairlady, Hiromi asked a question “Is it safe?”

“Yes. The car isn’t bugged if that’s what you mean.”

“So what do you have for me?” Hiromi asked as she pulled out of the parking lot. Reina then began to explain what the Swan Song committee was requesting of Ripley.

When Reina was finished explaining, Hiromi shook her head. “Are they nuts?”

“I’m just the messenger Ripley-san.”

“Yes I know. How am I supposed to do what they’re asking of me?”

Reina showed her boss the computer printout Swan Song had sent her. “These are computer instructions.”

“They really are nuts.” Hiromi replied back. “Put them in my purse. I guess I got to try what they’re asking, but no one better get their hopes up too high.”

“I’d put the instructions somewhere safe if I were you.”

“Trust me Reina; I’m locking them in the apartment safe the minute I get home.”

“Good or we both are screwed.” Reina replied back. “You do know the safe’s combo?”

“Yes I do. I got a question for you now. Are my personal offices or the apartment under video surveillance?”

“Don’t know Ripley-san, but I’ll check that out.”

“Do that. I won’t even attempt what is being asked of me if I am being videoed.”

“I don’t blame you.”

Hiromi had a question for Chrysanthemum. “Why doesn’t the Swan Song committee just contact the maker of the encryption program? I could even check my PC and see who designed it. You’d think that would be easier and safer for both of us not to mention a copy of the program may not work.”

“Won’t work Taro-san. The computer program is almost certainly designed by ‘The Indian’.”

The Indian was a thirty-one-year-old Indian Muslim software designer who was on the Watanabe payroll. His name was Omar Rafique.

“My asking The Indian for a spare copy of the program won’t work. What do you think?” Hiromi asked half jokingly.

“No, probably not.”

“Don’t worry Reina, I was just joking.” While Hiromi Sato was a Saiko-komon to Goro Watanabe, and she could ask almost anything of people on the Watanabe payroll and be certain to receive it, some actions would be just too risky. Asking Omar Rafique for a copy of the program was a definite non-starter.

The drive back to her apartment would take almost thirty minutes. Hiromi took this time to learn a little about Chrysanthemum.

“My real name is Tonichi Ogawa.” Reina told Hiromi.

“Mine is Tom Slater. I am a Captain in the United States Army.”

“I work for the Nagoya police.” Reina went on to tell a little more about herself as Tonichi. He was married and had only become a father two weeks before becoming Reina. “I hope I get to see my wife and son again.”

“You will. How old is your boy right now?”

“His birthday is next week.”

“Don’t worry Reina; you’ll be there for the second one and all those after that.”

“I hope so.” Reina said to Hiromi. The bodyguard went on to tell how his wife didn’t know where he was now, or what kind of job Tonichi was working on at present. Momoko Ogawa only knowing her husband was on a very secret undercover assignment.

Sometimes Tom Slater wondered where the real Hiromi was. She had to be in police custody, for there couldn’t be two Hiromi Satos out in the world. Where was the Yakuza accountant being held? Another question- where was the real Reina Shimizu?

“Momoko’s Dad was a real pain. He never approved of me seeing his daughter.”

“Fathers can be like that.”

“I suppose so. Mr. Nukuga hasn’t been too happy of late. Not since he was forced out of office.”

“Your father-in-law isn’t Fukushiro Nukaga? Hiromi asked. Being half Japanese, Tom Slater kept up some with Japanese politics. Fukushiro Nukaga was once Japan’s Minister of State for Defense.

“One and the same.” Tonichi replied back

While she and Reina talked, Hiromi learned Tonichi Ogawa had done some police training in the United States. Hiromi also shared personal info about herself. Including how Ripley was so fluent in Japanese. Reina had been particularly curious to learn since learning Ripley was an American.

“I can’t tell the difference between you and the real Hiromi. That’s the honest truth.”

“I’m glad. That was one of my biggest concerns.” Hiromi enjoyed the chat she was having with Reina. It was nice to have someone she could relate to for a change. At the same time Hiromi wondered if she should be more circumspect in regards to what information she was telling Reina. What would happen if Reina was unmasked by the Watanabes and faced a choice of death or spilling the beans over what she knew about Hiromi?

Tom made no mention of the strange episodes she was going through or the presence of Hiromi Sato inside her. So far it wasn’t interfering with the mission, besides what could Chrysanthemum do about it?

“How’s Chuck?”

“Interesting.”

“I bet it is.” Reina said. There was very little traffic that night in Yokohama but Hiromi was still hitting a lot of traffic lights. “As you Americans might say, we went from being the screwedriver, to the screwed.”

“Or the fucker to the fucked.”

Reina laughed. “That too.”

“I get a break tonight. That’s one benefit of working late. How about you?”

“I’m single.”

“Lucky you.”

“It hasn’t been easy. Kimo is a real pain. Typical Polynesian male, thinks he is God’s gift to women.”

“How’s your luck been with him so far?”

“It’s been good, mostly because I almost shot him in the balls one night.”

“How did that happen?”

Reina explained. She had an apartment in the same building as Hiromi, down on the eleventh floor. One night, Reina was awakened by the sound of someone in her apartment. It was Kimo. Somehow he had gotten a key.

“Wow, what happened next?”

“Kimo didn’t count on me having my glock under the pillow. I pulled it out and told him to get out.” Reina let out a loud laugh then. “Never seen a guy piss in his pants before.”

Hiromi laughed too. “Glad you came out all right in the end.”

“Thanks.”

“Can you possibly explain something to me? Why didn’t Swan Song know about Chuck?”

“I didn’t work Hiromi’s detail till a month before you came in.”

“What did you do before then?”

“I was a bodyguard for Keiko Watanabe.”

Hiromi nodded. That would explain things then. Keiko rarely had any interaction with Hiromi, other than when her husband Goro was around. And that didn’t happen all that often.

“Call working for Keiko the shop till you drop detail. I mostly had to carry her bags around. Still I got lots of useful intelligence. The woman can’t help herself but talk too much sometimes.”

“All I say is thank God for birth control pills. I won’t volunteer to have anyone’s baby.”

“Don’t blame you there.” Reina replied back.

A few minutes later Reina and Hiromi arrived at the apartment house. Before exiting the car, Hiromi had one or two things to ask? “When do we chat again?”

“Not till next week. I’ll send you the usual signal.” Reina replied back.

“I won’t do anything in regards to the computers till I get an answer from you regarding surveillance. Anything else I need to know?”

“Nothing.” Reina told Hiromi just before both women stepped out of the Fairlady. Yuri and Kimo were already waiting to take their boss upstairs.

Hiromi quietly let herself in the bedroom, tiptoeing around in order to make as little noise as possible. Charles was snoring loudly in bed.

Before climbing in the shower, but after stripping her clothes off, Hiromi had to go pee. Two things that grabbed her attention were- the toilet seat was up and that the rim around the toilet had the splatter of Chuck’s urine. Hiromi couldn’t stand this smell.

Hiromi was almost through wiping herself, when Chuck stepped into the bathroom. The tall Australian didn’t have the slightest bit of clothing on his tall body. “Kimi-chan, you’re home.”

“Yes, I’m tired and in no mood for lovemaking.” Hiromi said as she stood up. Chuck tried to give his girlfriend a hug, but Hiromi pushed him away.

“Is everything all right? Is there something I can do for you?”

“Yes start putting the seat down after you go pee. Better yet, sit when you go so I don’t have to smell your urine when it’s my turn!”

Chuck was caught off stride by Hiromi’s slight outburst. The Australian decided not to argue, for fatigue was almost certainly the cause of Hiromi’s venting. Chuck knew just how hard his girlfriend worked sometimes.

“Sorry Kimi-chan. I’ll do as you wish in the future.

While taking her shower, Tom had to admit females had a point. Men did splatter when urinating and women had to both clean up behind them and put up with the smell when using the toilet themselves. Tom would try hard to be a more thoughtful man in the future.

‘This is getting so weird’ Tom thought to herself in the shower. ‘These Hiromi episodes are becoming more frequent. Could she somehow end up in control? Then what would happen to both of us?’

Tom didn’t get an answer. Twenty minutes after her shower ended, she was in bed fast asleep. The computer instructions given to her by Reina being locked up in the apartment safe.
 

~*~

 
Hiromi’s work at The Orleans was completed by Sunday afternoon. In the end, nothing was found amiss. That answer didn’t seem to please Dai Hashimoto.

That job completed, Hiromi’s work pace only slowed down a slight notch for the rest of the week. Hiromi Sato was both powerful and rich, but that didn’t mean the woman was idle. The hours along with the stress of her profession, could easily break or burnout the strongest of women.

Hiromi and Reina had their next meeting the following Tuesday. Chrysanthemum informed Ripley that none of Hiromi Sato’s offices or living quarters was being videoed.

“I’ll try doing what they ask by the middle of next week worst. How do I get the disk back to you?” Hiromi asked.

Reina had thought of that already. “Put it in one of those music CD boxes you have in the office. You’ll then relay it to me.”

“Ok.” Hiromi replied back as she rubbed her eyes some. Hiromi was feeling both mentally and physically exhausted right then. Chuck had seen this and suggested they get away for the weekend, either to Hong Kong or Singapore. Another possibility was for them was a visit to Hokkaido and Hiromi’s cabin in the mountains there. As of yet no plans had been made.

Roger Hyde wasn’t too keen on his boss leaving the Yokohama or Mt. Fuji areas. If needed, Hiromi would have to remind Roger who the boss was.

As events unfolded, Hiromi’s plans were made for her on Wednesday by Goro Watanabe. The Oyabun was paying his cousin a rare visit at Watanabe Trucking.

“Hiromi-chan I will be departing for Osaka later this afternoon.”

“Have a safe and pleasant trip Goro-san. How long will you be gone?”

“A few days at least. Maybe as long as a week.”

“Is Keiko joining you?” Hiromi wondered what was taking Goro to Osaka. The Watanabes had no business interests there.

“Regrettably no, Hiromi-chan. While I’m gone you may make any decisions that would normally require my attention...”

“I hope I am worthy of your trust Goro-san. Is there a number I can reach you at if I need to consult you?”

“No. You may speak to Uncle if you need assistance.”

“I’ll do that Goro-san.”

“Feel free to use the lake house till I am back.” Goro left Hiromi’s office about a minute later. Hiromi called Chuck a few minutes later.

“We can play tennis, go for a swim, I’ll even go jogging with you if you want. We can just do nothing and goof off too.”

“You mean take me for a ride.” Hiromi giggled.

“That too, my little sports car.” Chuck and Hiromi were soon in agreement on what to do the next weekend. They would spend their time at Lake Yanagawa.
 

~*~

 
There were two things for Hiromi needed to do on Friday before leaving for the weekend. First she informed Dai Hashimoto and the shareigashiras where she would be till Monday afternoon. They could reach Hiromi at the lake house if any urgent Yakuza business came up.

The second thing to be done by Hiromi on Friday was an attempt at copying the encryption program. The previous night, Hiromi had spent an hour just before going to bed; studying the detailed computer instructions she had been given. Tom Slater was no dummy when it came to operating computers, nevertheless a great deal was being asked from her.

On Friday morning Hiromi began her day as usual, checking her phone messages and email. Two important calls had to be made in regards to Kanagawa Bank .After these calls were made, Hiromi went to work.

First, Hiromi told Aki and Suki that she wasn’t to be disturbed. Once that was done, and after locking her office door, Hiromi took the printed instructions and compact disc out of her purse. She had placed both of these all the way at the bottom of her handbag the night before.

The first step for Hiromi was to place the blank compact disc in the CD-Rom drive. After that was done, Hiromi followed the instructions given to her line by line. All along wondering even if she copied the software right, would the Swan Song committee be able to use it?

Hiromi did the best she could with the instructions and disc given to her. After a few miscues, the PC began copying the program to disc. When done, Hiromi ejected the disc and placed it in an empty jewel box the accountant usually used for burned music CDs. Hiromi had a supply of these in a bottom desk drawer.

Hiromi would give the disc to Reina sometime over the weekend. It would then be up to Chrysanthemum to get the box disc back to Swan Song.

The rest of Friday was pretty routine. One Watanabe shareigashira, Katsuaki Koike, had an appointment with Hiromi at 10 a.m. Hiromi Sato invested the man’s money and Katsuaki sometimes paid a visit to the Yakuza accountant to see how his investments were growing.

Hiromi spent about a half hour with Katsuaki Koike doing just that. The shareigashira’s investments were doing very well. When finished the Katsuaki thanked Hiromi profusely.

Before leaving for the weekend, Hiromi noted she had three similar appointments with shareigashiras over the next two weeks. One meeting would be with Ryuku Kinjoh, the second highest ranking woman in the Watanabe Yakuza.

Hiromi was just beginning to organize her desk in preparation for the weekend, when Chuck surprised his girlfriend by his coming to her office. “Hi, love. How has your day been?”

“Nothing special. How about yourself?”

“The same. Are you ready to go?”

“Almost.” Hiromi told Chuck as she began shutting down her PC. When that task was finished, Hiromi grabbed her purse.

“Anywhere in particular you want to go to for lunch?” Chuck asked a now standing Hiromi Sato. Before Hiromi got a chance to answer, Chuck kissed her.

“No, anywhere you want to eat is fine with me.” Hiromi told Chuck. They then left the office.

 

~*~

 
Hiromi and Chuck spent a relaxing weekend at Lake Yanagawa. A few Yakuza matters were brought to Hiromi’s attention while she was there, but none were of a time consuming nature. Hiromi quickly issuing whatever orders were needed.

While at the lake house, Hiromi went out jogging with Reina on Saturday morning. While they ran, the two women talked.

“I followed all the instructions and made the copy Swan Song wants.” Hiromi told Reina about a mile into their run. “Do you have any messages for me?”

“Not now. Just leave the disk in the Fairlady’s glove compartment when all of us return to Yokohama on Monday. Place it the second box from the top. I’ll take it from there.”

“Will do.” Hiromi replied back. Inside the Fairlady one more CD box wouldn’t look out of place. The last time Hiromi checked, the car had at least ten of them inside it.

This time around Hiromi decided to push her body a little harder than previously. Running some fifteen miles in length, Hiromi was making comments to Reina on the way home about how the bodyguard was able to keep up with her.

“You’re pretty strong too.”

“Not really. It took me a week to recover from our last run together. My legs were killing me for that long afterwards.”

“Sorry about that.”

Later that day, Hiromi and Chuck paid another visit to Keiji Watanabe. It was a social visit, no Yakuza business was discussed.

Keiji’s housekeeper Ai was around but hardly in a worker capacity. She was seated alongside Hiromi’s grandfather all through the afternoon and into the evening. No one said anything about this, but Chuck later on reminded his girlfriend about his being right.

“Maybe you’ll have a new Aunt or Uncle one day.”

If Hiromi had been eating or drinking something right then, she almost certainly would have gagged. “That will never happen.”

“Why because Ai is too old?” Chuck asked. “You’d be surprised what people Ai’s or your grandfather’s age can do these days. Don’t you remember reading about.....”

“Let's change the subject.” Hiromi growled back.

“Forgive me Kimi-chan. Let me just say I’m happy for your grandfather and Ai.”

“I’m happy for Grandfather and Ai also.” Hiromi said as she pulled the Fairlady up outside Goro Watanabe’s lakeside home.

After they got out of the car, Hiromi and Chuck were greeted by Roger Hyde. “Going inside for the night, boss?”

Chuck looked over at Hiromi. “Why don’t we go for a walk? It’s a lovely evening tonight.”

“Yes let’s do that.”

Hiromi and Chuck took a stroll down by the lake. Holding hands as they talked, or just ambled along in silence. It was a wonderful night for a moonlit walk. A cool breeze and fresh mountains were helping make the setting and mood almost perfect.

“Isn’t it beautiful tonight?”

“Yes it is.” Hiromi replied back as a momentary shiver resulted in goose bumps covering her entire body.

“You must have loved it here when you were little.”

“I never came here as a child....” Hiromi growled at Chuck once again.

“Sorry Kimi-chan, I forgot. Please forget what I just said.”

Hiromi bent down to pick up a small stone. She examined it for a few moments before flinging it into the lake.

“At least they left us alone tonight.”

“Yes we’re alone.”

“Kimi-chan, is there something bothering you?”

“No. Why is there something bothering you?” Hiromi shot back.

“Kind of.”

“Well, tell me.” Hiromi said in a demanding voice.

“I love you.”

“Yes.”

“Yes what?”

“I feel the same.”

Chuck stopped walking. “I need to get you away from this place.”

“Goro needs me.”

“I need you Hiromi. Who matters more to you?”

“You of course.”

“Why don’t we get away from here? Let’s go to Hong Kong or Singapore, get away from all this. I know they’re your family......”

“My family needs me.”

Chuck could have voiced his opinion on how little Keiji and the rest of the Watanabes had wanted his Hiromi for so long but the Australian kept that counsel to himself. “Kimi-chan, look around. Is this the way you want to live the rest of your life?”

“If you can’t accept it, then leave!” Hiromi then turned her back to Chuck but didn’t move an inch.

“Hiromi I won’t leave you. I love you.”

“Then let’s go inside and you show me your love.”

Hiromi and Chuck went back in the house and had sexual intercourse. Afterwards they showered and then watched television for an hour before retiring to the bedroom.

Chuck went right to sleep within minutes, but Hiromi refused to close her eyes. A series of calculations were being made in her mind. Not by Tom Slater, but by the Yakuza accountant who shared the same body with the Army Captain.

After putting on a sweat shirt and pants, Hiromi stepped outside of the house. A bodyguard was surprised by the appearance of the acting Oyabun. He asked if there was something wrong.

“Bring me to Radek.”

Radek Krejci was chief of security for Goro Watanabe. He had already retired for the evening, when one of his men came into his living quarters to say Hiromi Sato was asking for him. Of course Radek immediately answered the summons.

“How may I help you Sato-san?” Radek Krejci was forty-eight years old and had been in the employ of the Watanabes for almost ten years. Born in Czechoslovakia, Radek had once served in that country’s intelligence service, the STB.

“I’d like a briefing on security here.”

“Sato-san I assure you......”

“Did I NOT make myself clear? I want a security briefing and a tour.”

“Yes Sato-san. Let me get one of my assistants out here to help. I’ll only be a moment.”

Radek’s #3, was another Londoner like Roger Hyde. Except this one’s name was Simon Dawes. He and Radek then began giving Hiromi the tour she requested.

The first stop was the control center. From there three people monitored the entire property with the help of surveillance cameras.

Hiromi asked a great many questions, all of which Radek or Simon answered. Neither was used to sharing details in regards to security, Goro Watanabe was rarely interested in such matters. Both Radek and Simon were aware the Oyabun had turned over the reins of power to Hiromi. Any questions which she asked would be promptly answered.

“How many people are on duty here at any given time?”

“About twenty-five, they all work twelve hour shifts.” Simon explained. Hiromi asked for a precise number. This required a check of that day’s personnel scheduling. “There are twenty-four people not including Radek and I on duty right now.”

“Are there people guarding the property when no one is living here?”

“Yes of course. Just not as many.”

Hiromi asked to be given a tour of the property and shown how it was protected. To accomplish this, Simon Dawes fetched a land rover.

The Land Rover tour took about an hour. Goro Watanabe’s Lake Yanagawa home was on a property nearly 70 acres in size. Bordering it on the west was the lake, on the north and east sides were property owned by the widow of the former President of Mitsubishi Motors, Takemune Nimura. Lastly there was the small side road that ran along the south side of the property.

“Are there patrols on the lake?” Hiromi Sato was asking these questions, not Tom Slater. The Army Captain was conscious of what was happening and asking herself what was the purpose of Hiromi’s questions.

“Yes, day and night.”

Hiromi was also interested in security at the main entrance to the property. There was a ten foot high wall, plus a gate and security cameras there. Pointing towards two men, Hiromi asked. “Are those the only guards protecting the main entrance?”

“No,” Radek said pointing to the Northeast. “They have backup located over there.”

“How many?”

“Three more or five in all?”

“What’s to stop someone from driving through the gate? Let’s say with a large truck full of explosives.”

Radek and Simon knew what kind of tactics Hiromi Sato was making reference to, a suicide bomber. Like ones sometimes seen in Iraq.

“The main gate is under surveillance. If someone were to drive through, alarms would go off. We should have the time to safely evacuate any occupants of the house.”

“How far is it from the main gate to the house?” Hiromi asked while Tom again began to wonder. ‘Why is she so concerned for Goro’s security or is Hiromi just concerned about her own safety?’

“Two and a half kilometers.” Radek answered.

“You really think that there would be enough time to evacuate everyone if someone crashed the gate? Hiromi asked in a voice dripping with contempt. “If you do, you’re both a pair of fools!”

“Sato-san with all due respect, an attack like what you’re thinking of is not likely. Not here in Japan.” Radek said to his boss.

Simon and Hiromi watched as Hiromi stood there thinking for a minute. “Very well, continue doing as you are. Take me back to the house now.”

Shortly after getting back to the house, Tom regained full control of her body. After undressing, she went straight to bed. Chuck McBride was sound asleep and snoring very loudly.

The security tour came off as very odd to Tom. What was the purpose behind it? Unfortunately Tom only shared a body with Hiromi, but not her thought processes. A few minutes later, Hiromi Sato was fast asleep.
 

~*~

 
Hiromi got back to the office on Monday afternoon. Three days spent at the lake had proved refreshing but it was time to go back to work.

Suki and Akiko had everything organized and waiting for their Taro’s return. The one surprise in Hiromi Sato’s office was a vase of roses. They had been delivered that morning. They weren’t from Chuck, but from Katsuaki Koike, the shareigashira who came to Hiromi’s office the previous Friday. The flowers were his way of thanking the Saiko-komon for her wise investing of Katsuaki’s savings.

This and a meeting with some shareigashiras the day before were causing an interesting picture of Hiromi’s standing in the Watanabe Yakuza to form in Tom’s mind. What it all meant was still unknown.

Goro Watanabe called late on Monday afternoon to inform Hiromi he’d be returning to Yokohama on Thursday. “The Baystars are playing Tokyo Thursday night. Maybe YOU can attend the game with me.”

Hiromi got the message. The Oyabun wanted to meet in order to discuss family business, which meant Chuck wasn’t invited. “Goro-san, I will be there.”

“I will see you at the game then.”
 

~*~

 
About a half hour after their return to Yokohama, Reina began looking for the CD. This being the first chance Reina had to look for the computer disc.

“Shit. Hiromi you can’t do this to me.” Reina said as she rifled through the compact discs in the compartment. Two were music CDs, the rest burned copies of other discs Hiromi owned. One of them was supposed to be the program but which one? Hiromi said she would place it second among the discs in the glove compartment. What Reina found there instead was a disc of classical music recordings.

Had Hiromi forgotten to place the CD in the glove compartment? Reina was beginning to ask herself just that when someone called her name.

“Reina.”

Reina was seated in the tight confines of the Fairlady, but this didn’t prevent the bodyguard from nearly jumping. She immediately closed the glove compartment and got out of the car. “Yes.”

The person calling for her was Kimo, the Polynesian. “Roger sent me out here to get you.”

“Do you know what for?”

“No, he just asked me to tell you to go inside and report to him. I’ll be taking over out here for you.”

Without saying a word, Reina walked over to a nearby staircase. Roger Hyde’s office was on the third floor. Reina, deciding to save time by not waiting for an elevator used the stairwell.

A law enforcement officer working a deep undercover assignment is always on edge. Reina was no different. As she walked upstairs, Reina couldn’t help but fear she was would be climbing the staircase steps to her own death. Tonichi Ogawa would never be seeing his wife or son again.

Reina soon breathed a sigh of relief. Roger had summoned her for something very routine.

“Reina, before I let you go to lunch I got to ask you something.”

“What’s that Roger-san?”

“How full is the Fairlady’s gas tank? Is it in need of petrol?”

“I just looked. The tank is about half full.”

“When you get back from lunch, take the car to the filling station and top off the tank. Also have them change the oil. You’ll do that, won’t you love?”

‘I’m not your love bastard.’ Reina thought to herself. She wasn’t in a particularly good mood that day, Hiromi’s screw-up with the compact disc being just one reason. Reina also had to suffer with her time of the month right then. Her menstrual cramps were awful.

Tonichi Ogawa would be especially nice to his wife when the Swan Song mission was over. The husband of Momoko Ogawa now knew how it felt to bleed once a month. “Yes Roger-san, not a problem. I’ll do as you ask.”

“Go grab a bite love. Just be back here in forty minutes.” Roger told Reina. For now Reina was safe, but how long would that last?
 

~*~

 
Hiromi didn’t realize her error about the CD till later in the day. She therefore re-arranged the compact discs in the glove compartment on the ride home. Hiromi hoping Reina would find the disc where it had promised.

The next morning Hiromi got a non-verbal message from Reina. They needed to chat again. Since Chuck needed a ride into the office that day, a meeting would need to take place sometime later in the day. Or would it?

It was while riding the elevator down to the parking garage that Hiromi came up with a little inspiration. The elevator doors opened and almost everyone had stepped out. That is except for Hiromi, who exclaimed.

“Oh shit!”

Everyone, Chuck included, looked back at Hiromi. All but Chuck not being accustomed to Hiromi using American curse words.

“Something wrong?” Chuck asked.

“Yes I got to use the little girl’s room.”

Roger began motioning for everyone to get back on the elevator. Hiromi stopped them.

“I’ll go back upstairs by myself.”

“Boss I prefer if you didn’t.”

Hiromi pretended to think for a few seconds. “Reina can come with me. The rest of you stay here. We’ll be back in five minutes.”

Reina and Hiromi didn’t talk again till they were in the apartment and the door was closed. “What happened with the Compact Disc?”

“Sorry Reina, I forgot.” Hiromi said as she pulled up her dress and underwear in order to sit on the commode. She really needed to go potty.

“Please be more careful in the future.”

“I will Reina.”

“You don’t understand. I want to see my wife and son again.”

“Reina you will.”

“Promise me you will be more careful. Please.”

“I promise Reina to be more careful. I promise you’ll make it out of this alive. You’ll see your wife and son again, I promise.” Hiromi said as she finished her business and began to redress herself. “The disc is already where I told you it would be.”

“Thanks.”

Before heading back downstairs, Hiromi decided to check her appearance in a bathroom mirror. After a few moments of looking at herself, Hiromi decided her hair needed to be touched up some.

As Hiromi began brushing her hair, Reina spoke up. “Shouldn’t we get moving?”

Hiromi turned backwards in order to face Reina. Chrysanthemum was instantly taken by surprise by the look on Hiromi’s face. It was an angry one.

“Who are you to tell me to hurry up?”

“Huh?”

Hiromi didn’t say another word but went back to brushing her hair. When she was done, Hiromi went back to acting like nothing happened.

“We'd better go; they’re waiting for us downstairs.”

Back in the elevator on the way down to the parking garage, Reina asked a question. “Are you all right?”

“Yes.”

Reina said nothing more but that moment in the bedroom had spooked the bodyguard. What was going on with Ripley?

Little did Reina know, but Tom Slater was also growing increasingly concerned. These Hiromi episodes were becoming more frequent by the day.

‘Fight her Tom and stay in control.’ Tom told herself as she stepped off the elevator. Roger and his crew, plus Chuck were all standing around waiting for her.

“I’m set. Let’s get going now.”
 

~*~

 
Reina retrieved the compact disc later on Tuesday morning. Now it was up to Chrysanthemum to get it to the Swan Song committee.

The way Reina accomplished this was through the use of a drop. Reina Shimizu, including the real one who unknown to everyone had died attempting to escape shortly after being captured, had a taste for Starbucks coffee. Only four blocks from the Neigishi Bay Tower apartments was one of those American based coffee shops. Reina usually went there two or three times a week before starting work.

On those days Reina went go to Starbucks, she’d buy herself both a cup of java and some form of danish. After taking a seat, Chrysanthemum would read a trashy Japanese tabloid or gossip magazine. When she was through, Reina would leave the Starbucks, dumping her trash and reading material in a receptacle by the door.

Little did anyone know but this was how the drop would Reina sent messages and other things back to Swan Song. For on the morning after getting the Compact Disc from Hiromi, Reina went to Starbucks. The disc safely placed in a Ziploc bag and concealed inside the magazine she had brought along with her.

The Swan Song committee got the Disc less than twenty-four hours after Reina made the drop. It was eventually given over to Scott Avery and another computer programmer working for Swan Song. It would be some days before it was known if the Disc would be of any use.
 

~*~

 
Around 9:30 on Tuesday morning, Suki Kobayashi came into Hiromi’s office. “Sato-san, Ryuku Kinjoh is here.”

“Send her in.” Hiromi said as she straightened out her desk. If Tom Slater and the real Hiromi shared anything in common (besides the body they both resided in), it was their dislike of a cluttered desk. The first thing both would do after hearing a visitor was there to see them was to neaten their desk.

Suki had one other bit of information to relay to Hiromi. “Sato-san you asked me to remind you of your appointment today with Dr. Fuschida at 3:30.”

‘Who’s Dr. Fuschida?’ Hiromi asked herself as she nervously twirled a small bit of her hair. “Cancel the appointment.”

“I will do that Sato-san. Do you wish me to reschedule for another time?”

“No Suki.”

Ryuku Kinjoh walked into the office moments after Suki exited. Without saying a word, the slim shareigashira plopped her butt down in a seat straight across from Hiromi. Tom Slater not failing to note the short dress Ryuku was wearing or the large amount of perfume the shareigashira had on...

This was a huge contrast from Hiromi’s first meeting with the shareigashira. Then Ryuku Kinjoh had tried to act and appear as un-feminine as possible. What was behind the change today?

“So how goes everything Hiromi-chan?

Hiromi was more than slightly surprised by the shareigashira’s informality. “What’s up yourself?”

“The usual - Busting people’s heads, busting men’s chops.”

“Do you want to see how your money is doing?”

“Yes of course. That’s why I’m here.”

Hiromi was already prepared. She had printed off the financial reports she needed to show to Ryuku. They discussed these for the next twenty-five minutes.

“You work extremely well with other people’s money Hiromi-chan.” Ryuku said while reading over her financial statement.

“I try.”

“It is a long time since we last went shopping together.”

“We should do that again some time.”

“Forget Chuck for a day. You and I can have fun together.”

Hiromi wondered for a moment what type of fun Ryuku was referring to. It soon occurred to Hiromi that she and Ryuku sometimes went to clubs together. Most of this happening before Chuck entered Hiromi Sato’s life.

Some Yakuza business was discussed. Ryuku answered directly to Dai Hashimoto, her territory being in the hotel district. There Ryuku oversaw the call girls and tourist industry the Watanabes had a finger dipped into.

Ryuku shared one bit of interesting information with Hiromi. It was an offhand remark, but it gave Tom Slater a clue in regards to the Judge Song murder. Hiromi would have to do a little discreet investigating before turning over that particular piece of intelligence to Swan Song.

“I think we covered everything, if you’ll excuse me Ryuku I have work to do.”

Ryuku stood up. “Call me when you time to go shopping. It will be like old times.

Hiromi showed a rare smile. “Yes I’ll do that... When Chuck isn’t around.”

“I like how you take care of my money. Don’t change anything Sato-san.”

“I won’t.” After bowing to Hiromi, Ryuku Kinjoh left the room.

With that particular business over and done with, Hiromi began to think of Reina and the Compact Disc. Had the bodyguard retrieved it? Would it be of any use to Swan Song?

No deadline had been ever mentioned to Hiromi so far as the completion of Swan Song went. Gabrielle had mentioned the operation should be over within a year. What would happen if the disc wasn’t any good?

Hiromi decided not to stress herself out too much over this and other unknown. She had more than comfortably taken the real Hiromi Sato’s place. No one suspected anything, with the possible exception of Chuck, and with every passing week Tom Slater was growing more confident in her ability to pass as Hiromi Sato.

Someone then began knocking at the door. “Come in.”

It was Aki. She was carrying a vase full of red roses. “Sato-san, these came for you while you were meeting with Kinjoh-san.”

“Thank you Aki. Please put them on the desk for me.” While Aki did this, Suki entered the office with tea for her boss.

“Sato-san,” Suki said to Hiromi while pouring a cup of tea. “Charles called while you were in the meeting. He asked for you to call back.”

“Thank you Suki.” Once Suki and Aki were out of the office, Hiromi decided to check out who the flowers were from.

My little sports car,

Please accept this as an apology for my presumptuousness last Saturday night.

Always yours with love,

Chuck

Even Tom Slater thought the flowers and note were a thoughtful gesture. Hiromi then picked up her desk phone and called Chuck.

“Kimi-chan it is good to hear your voice. Did you get what I sent you?”

“Yes and thank you.”

“You aren’t mad at me anymore?”

“Of course not.”

Chuck’s voice became decidedly more cheerful. “Will I be meeting you at Dr. Fuschida’s office at 3:30?”

“I was going to cancel.”

“Why? We talked about this before Aunt Emiko died. You would have seen the doctor by now if not for the funeral.”

Hiromi listened to Chuck as he reminded his girlfriend of the purpose for seeing Dr. Fuschida. ‘Oh my God!’

“Come on Hiromi, you know what I think of this. Please?”

“Can I put you on hold for a minute?”

“Sure.” Hiromi then put Chuck on hold. She had to do some fast thinking. ‘I should have known Fuschida had to be that kind of doctor.’

Dr. Fuschida was a plastic surgeon. Adult Japanese women of all ages hired these doctors in their quest to stay beautiful. Why should Hiromi Sato be any different?

The crazy thing was, Tom didn’t put her foot down and say no. Instead she buzzed Suki. “Did you cancel that appointment I have with Dr. Fuschida?”

“No Sato-san. Their computer was down and I was told to call back. I hadn’t done that yet.”

“Thank you. I will be going to the appointment after all.” After hanging up on Suki, Hiromi pressed the line two buttons for Chuck.

“I’ll be there.”

“Smashing! I really hope you go through with it.”

“We’ll see. Meet you then at 3:30.”
 

~*~

 
Hiromi’s appointment with the Dr. Fuschida was scheduled for 3:30, but Japanese physicians are like their counterparts in America, they are rarely on time. Dr. Fuschida didn’t see Hiromi till 5:15. Over two hours were spent by Hiromi in the plastic surgeon’s office, all so to spend about fifteen minutes with the doctor.

After finishing with the Dr. Fuschida, Hiromi and Chuck went to see the scheduling nurse. “The doctor has an opening six weeks from today at 1 p.m. if that is good.”

“That will be fine.” Chuck answered. He was again being pushy and this caused Hiromi to growl at her boyfriend for a moment. “It’s up to you Kimi-chan. You make the choice.”

“That appointment will be fine.” Before leaving the doctor’s office, Hiromi was given some fact sheets that provided preparation and general information about the surgery she was now scheduled to undergo. A week before the operation, Hiromi would also have to come in to a clinic for pre-op. A separate appointment was scheduled for this.

“Where to now?” Chuck asked.

“The apartment.”

Chuck mentioned something to Hiromi on the way out to the car. “Your surgery appointment is the day after your birthday.”

“I didn’t even think of that.”

Chuck laughed as he and Hiromi climbed in the Fairlady. “This will be like a birthday present from me to you.”

“I think it will be more like the other way around.” Hiromi replied back which caused Chuck to laugh. She had plenty of reservations about going through with this plastic surgery. Only some of which were medical related. On the way home, a thought crossed Tom Slater/s mind. What would Gabrielle and the Swan Song committee think when they saw her at mission’s end?

‘I guess I can always say this operation was scheduled before I became Hiromi.’ Tom thought as she pulled the Fairlady out of the parking garage and into Yokohama traffic. ‘Or that I needed to do this to maintain my cover.’

Making sure her cover wasn’t blown was Captain Slater’s number one priority. The Swan Song mission, not to mention her life, would be come to an end if it was discovered she wasn’t the real Hiromi Sato. To maintain her cover, Tom had agreed for now to have the plastic surgery. This decision was subject to change.

Hiromi and Chuck had a quiet evening at the apartment up till almost 9:30. Juanita served them dinner shortly after their arrival. After their meal was over, the Chuck and Hiromi watched some television together before going to the bedroom.

Once they went inside, Chuck and Hiromi stripped off the clothes they were wearing and got into bed. It was time for Chuck’s little sports car to take him for a ride once again. Tom still couldn’t get used to lovemaking as a woman, but would admit it if only to herself, that the female body she was in desired Chuck and enjoyed his lovemaking.

That made it a tad easier for Tom. Chuck was also a nice person and gentle with Hiromi in spite of his size. That kind of helped too so far as Tom was concerned...

The stress and sheer isolation the Swan Song mission caused for Tom was very different than serving in Iraq. There Captain Slater had the camaraderie of his fellow soldiers. There were also the friends Tom had made during his time in Army, not to mention his family back in the United States.

On the other hand, what did Tom now have while she lived the life of Hiromi Sato? The woman was too far up the Yakuza chain of command to be approachable by just anyone. So friends were few and far between. Her family? Hiromi didn’t seem all too close to any of the Watanabes because of her upbringing, and for obvious reasons Tom couldn’t get in touch with his real family.

Then there was the stress of trying to impersonate a person she wasn’t, knowing one slipup could end in a grisly death, Tom needed a release. Was Chuck’s lovemaking becoming that?

After their lovemaking was over, Chuck and Hiromi took a shower together. After that, Chuck went out to the living room.

“Will you be coming out soon?” Chuck asked Hiromi while she sat at the dressing table in the master bedroom.

“In a couple of minutes. Watch television or listen to music, whichever you prefer.”

“Don’t take too long.” Chuck said before kissing Hiromi one more time. Then Chuck left the bedroom.

Hiromi would be going to bed in another hour or so. Still she felt the need to have her hair and rest of her appearance just right. That was why Hiromi was at the dressing table then.

While Hiromi combed her hair, she began to daydream. Thinking of things like her overall appearance, what Chuck thought of it, and if he and Hiromi would be happy with the results of the surgery Dr. Fuschida was going to perform.

‘Stop thinking like that, Tom Slater! You’re becoming almost as vain as a real woman.’ Hiromi thought as she suddenly stopped brushing her hair. A nagging thought entered Tom’s mind right then. Was this mission making Tom think too much like a woman? If so, would the Captain ever act like the man he was pre-Swan Song ever again?

Hiromi joined Chuck in the living room a few minutes later. They’d spend almost an hour sitting on the couch watching television. This was Chuck and Hiromi’s usual evening routine. Most nights they would go to bed together around 9:30-9:45

Hiromi and Chuck were still awake when at 9:38 the sound of the apartment buzzer filled the room. Hiromi got up from the couch and went over to the front door. There she pressed the intercom button. “Yes.”

“Boss, we need to see you.” said the voice of Roger Hyde.

Hiromi wondered why the bodyguard needed her at this hour. Couldn’t it wait till morning? “I’ll be out in a few minutes.”

Chuck had gotten up off the couch already. “Business?”

“Who knows? I better put some clothes on and go find out.”

Hiromi put on a blouse, pants, sweater, plus underwear and shoes. She exited the apartment five minutes later to find Yuri and Roger waiting for her.

“What’s going on?”

“We need you to come downstairs boss,” Roger Hyde said to Hiromi as he and Yuri led her to the elevator. “There’s a problem there only you can fix.”

As they rode the elevator downstairs to the basement, Hiromi wondered what Chuck was up to right then. ‘He’s probably in bed waiting for your return.’

Once off the elevator, Hiromi was shown to a small undecorated room. There five employees of the Watanabe Yakuza were waiting for the acting Oyabun.

All but one of the Watanabe employees bowed to Hiromi as she entered the room, the fifth person being unable to do so. A man was bound and gagged on the floor. His name was Takanori Yokoyama. A quick glance by Hiromi told her the man had recently undergone a severe beating.

“We need a decision from you Oyabun-san.” said one of the men in the room.

"Tell me what has taken place, Mureta-san.”

Takahiro Mureta, a Watanabe shareigashiras, proceeded to do just that. The reason Hiromi had been summoned was because Takanori Yokoyama, a long-time and till recently trusted employee of Goro Watanabe, had been caught skimming money from one of the Oyabun’s many business enterprises.

To prove what he was saying, Takahiro had brought a laptop computer. He proceeded to show Hiromi a video of Takanori pocketing money that wasn’t his own.

The case was pretty darn strong. There were two separate instances on video of the man pocketing large sums of yen. As Hiromi watched the video, Takahiro did a monologue that filled in the some of the questions his boss already had popping into her head. Like how had Takanori Yokoyama come under suspicion, for how long a length of time was he suspected of stealing, and what was the estimate on how much the man had skimmed.

As Hiromi watched and listened to Takahiro, Takanori tried to plead with the acting Oyabun. The man telling her, he’d never do this again, return all the money he had stolen, do anything as long as they would not hurt him anymore. Because of the duct tape over his mouth, all of these pleas were muffled. Not that they would have done Takanori Yokoyama any good.

There was only one sentence for a Watanabe employee caught stealing. The only reason for Hiromi being summoned was because of Yokoyama’s long length of service with the Yakuza family. He had supposedly earned the trust and favor of both Goro and Keiji Watanabe at times in the past. No Watanabe employee, including the shareigashiras, would put such a man to death without prior backing from at least a Saiko-komon.

‘Oh god, they want you to ok this guy’s murder. I definitely didn’t sign up for this’ Tom thought to herself. When volunteering for the Swan Song mission, not once had the Army Captain expected to put in the place she was now. Hiromi Sato was only supposed to be an accountant, not a murderer.

This wasn’t combat in Iraq, where Tom Slater sent men into danger every day knowing some may not return alive. Rather this was cold-blooded murder.

Hiromi knew there was only one possible decision. That didn’t mean it didn’t affect her. Only a person without a conscience couldn’t feel dirtied by a murder they had taken part in.

“What’s the decision boss?” Roger Hyde asked Hiromi. All eyes in the room focused on their Oyabun.

Before handing down the sentence, Hiromi made note of something else. “You fools! Don’t any of you know what this is!?”

The men in the room were shocked by what Hiromi had just said. They had no idea why the acting Oyabun was so angry.

“This is a wireless card” Hiromi said as she yanked the device out of the laptop, holding it up in the air for everyone to see. “This computer was online, for what length of time I don’t know, but because of your stupidity we may all have exposed us all to the police!”

Only Roger had a clue as to how this could be happening. Every last man then bowed their heads in shame

“This PC has no firewall. That means a hacker employed by the police could gain access to it. Not anymore!” Then Hiromi flung the laptop against a nearby wall as hard as she could. If this was meant to destroy the machine, it did. For the electronic gizmo stopped working the second after it impacted the wall. The PC fell to the floor, and broke in several pieces.

Takahiro Mureta began to humbly apologize for his stupidity with the laptop. Telling Hiromi he would not make the same mistake twice.

As for Takanori Yokoyama, Hiromi rolled her eyes in the man’s direction. “You know what to do with him.”

Hiromi left the room with Yuri and Roger following her. As she exited, Takanori Yokoyama stared at the exiting Saiko-komon with wide open eyes full of terror.

A few minutes later, Hiromi Sato was back in her apartment. Tired but unable to go to sleep, Tom Slater was deeply troubled by what she had just allowed to happen... It was almost midnight when the Captain’s conscience finally allowed her to go to sleep.
 

~*~

 
Back in the United States, Midori and Stewart Slater were going into town. Tom’s father wanted to make some purchases at a Darrington Washington hardware store.

Midori had come into town with husband, but not in order to visit the hardware store. “Stewart, can you drop me at the church?”

“Of course sweetheart.” Stewart told his wife. The retired military man was as devoted to his wife today as he had been the day the couple married.

Stewart dropped Midori off at Darrington United Methodist Church. “I’ll pick you up after I’m through at the store.”

“Take your time.” Midori told her husband. Then she went inside the church.

It was a weekday, and the place of worship was completely empty. Midori went about halfway to the front of the church, knelt, and then sat herself in a pew. Midori then silently began to pray.

Midori Slater had gone to church that day to pray for her son Tom. That he would both be successful in his mission and come home in one piece.
 

~*~

 
To Be Continued in Part Five

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ouch

I do not envy the good Captain. The power of life or death. *sigh*.

Kim

The pot is boiling furriously

I got to see a slightly earliier draft and was impressed.

Some of the people on the US end of things seem to have writen off Tom before they started the mission. The nice lady FBI agent has overheard and I hope can save Tom//Hiromi's life. The Australian lover is hard to figure out, would he support her if she turned on the mob or not? Is he a potental ally to Tom/Hiromi or a danger? Chysanthinum is a good cop, I hope she will survive to return to her/his wife. Both *plants* are transformees, remarkable.

The bits of the real Hiromi Sato's memories Tom as Hiromi has -- RNA memorry like in EE Nailley's CareGivers universe? -- suggest she has a love/hate relationship with the Yakusa, mostly hate. The real Hiromi might want to kill the leadership of the Watenabi clan for what they did to her, how they shoved her aside as non-family all of her childhood. She feels robbed of what was rightly hers. She also seem upset at what she does. One of her workers in the office noticed how unhappy she has been of late and this goes back to before the switch.

The question is would she want out after *cleaning house* or want to take over? Is she in her heart a criminal or just our for revenge? I worry the real girl will escape jail and there will be two in town at the same time. I think in Tom's case he is in control as he can feel and observe Hiromi when her memories run the body but she does not know he is there. I suspect the longer he stays as her their memories and emotions will fuse, his being the more dominent but her's being important.

I fear even if he/she survives the undercover opperation they will find the odds of changing him back are worse than they thought or he/she has a complication that prevents an attempt. The FBI agent will not care, I suspect she loves him as Tom or Hiromi and might even be willing to become an man for Hiromi if she cannot become Tom again and Tom has problems witha lesbian relationship. I may be way off. I do know his mom will love him or her and the FBI agent as her or him. Tom has a great family.

Great work, Danielle. Sorry I wasn't able to comment in advance.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Duty, Honor, and country

I've started this but had to pause because its been a long day and will finish tomorrow. Anyways I had to say what I've read so far is really good. The Captain has her hands full that is for sure. Nice going Danielle J!
hugs!
grover

Duty, Honor, Country, Family - Part 4

How soon will it be before the people who turned Tom into Hiromi Sato will start combining the donor samples to create totally new people? nd did they turn the original Hiromi Sato into Tom?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine