What Maisie Knew: 10. The Cloths Of Heaven

Printer-friendly version

"Now," I said, "my parents want to keep a very close eye on me, and they think that Sister Honororia is just wonderful."

"Don't say her name too loud," Maisie cautioned. "She's behind you in the corner, and she's looking right at you."
 

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
10. The Cloths Of Heaven

 

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams," Mrs. Wix finished.

I had never liked poetry, never read it, but at that moment I was hooked. It was the most magical thing I'd ever heard, and I wanted more of it.

"That was He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven by William Butler Yeats, girls," Mrs. Wix said again. I wrote "Yates" in my notebook so I could look it up later.

Susan looked at what I'd written, shook her head, and wrote "Yeats" on my pad.

"Thanks," I whispered.

"Marcie, just so you know, I start every class by reading a bit of poetry or a piece of prose that is exceptionally well written." I nodded.

Then she dove into the lesson, which had nothing to do with Yeats or poetry.


At lunch, Maisie, Susan, and I sat together. "So how does this compare to your old school?" Susan asked.

"Well...," I said, "at lunch I used to sit with two of my friends just like this..." The three of us smiled at that. "But right over there," I gestured over my right shoulder, "was the boyfriends' table, where our boyfriends had to sit."

"Really?" Maisie snorted. "It sounds like prison! It defeats the whole purpose of going to school with boys! Could you talk to each other?"

"Sure you could. The only problem was that if the teachers knew you were an item, you couldn't sit together in the cafeteria. There was a no-PDA rule."

"PDA?" Susan asked.

"Public Displays of Affection," I explained. Maisie snorted again.

"So you had a boyfriend?" Susan asked. I nodded. "What happened now that you moved away?"

"We talked on the phone a couple times since I got here..." I replied. "I really miss him."

"I didn't mean to get you down," Susan said. "I was just curious." She sighed. "I don't know if my mother will ever let me date. That's one reason she sent me here, to an all-girls school."

"Yeah, me too," I said. "I wasn't even supposed to be dating when I went out with Jerry."

"How did you manage it, then?" Maisie asked as she munched on a carrot.

I laughed. "The first time he asked me out, he wanted to take me to a movie. When I told him that I wasn't allowed to go out with him, he said we could both happen to go to the same movie, and he could accidentally buy two tickets..." Susan and Maisie laughed. "The thing was, my parents were *here*, and I was *there*, so that's pretty much how I got away with it."

"Mmm," Susan commented, looking quite envious. "Did you stay with a relative or something?"

"Yeah, my Aunt Jane."

"And she let you do whatever you want."

"Well, she wasn't supposed to... but, yeah, I guess I got away with a lot." (Talk about understatements!)

"Lucky you!" Susan commented.

"Now," I said, "they want to keep a very close eye on me, and they think that Sister Honororia is just wonderful."

"Don't say her name too loud," Maisie cautioned. "She's behind you in the corner, and she's looking right at you."

As if on cue, Honororia came to our table. "Margaret, Susan, Marcella," she said, as a greeting.

"Good afternoon, sister," I replied.

"What have you learned today, Marcella?" she asked.

Huh? I thought. I wasn't ready for the question, but something came to me quickly. "I learned that I like poetry, sister. I didn't know that before."

"And how did that happen?" she asked.

I told her about Mrs. Wix's reading.

"Ah, yes," she said. "I'm sure you can find Yeats in our school library. Susan can certainly help you find your way.

"Mrs. Wix is one of our graduates, did you know that? Class of '94. It seems like yesterday, that she was sitting at one of these tables, just like you, with—" she stopped in midsentence. Actually, it was more like she froze in midsentence.

I looked at her in surprise.

She caught my look, and willed her face into an expressionless mask. Then she took a breath and hurriedly said, "In any case, she's one of our best."

She looked at each of us in turn, then said, "Girls," as a — well, as the opposite of a greeting — and left.

Once she was gone, I said, "Mmm," with a slight grimace. "Susan, do you think you could help me in the library now?"

"Yeah, why?" Susan asked.

"I have to keep on her good side, and I know she's going to ask me about Yeats next time I see her." I sighed. "I need something to read in detention, anyway."

After a quick visit to the library, I called my mother on my cell phone. She almost sounded glad that I'd gotten detention.

Mothers!


Dentention wasn't so bad. At least I wasn't the only one there. It was me and another girl, but we had to sit on opposite sides of the room, and the detention nun wouldn't let us even look at each other. I didn't mind so much because I was a little sweaty and sticky from gym class. I didn't want anyone smelling me!

After I got through my homework, I read a few pages of the Yeats book. I found the poem Mrs. Wix had read, and I liked it as much as when I first heard it. I read it over and over, in fact, and even thought about memorizing it.

Looking back over my day, I had to admit that gym had been the strangest class, mostly because it was a class of seniors. Mom had set it up — it was the only way I could have gym at the end of the day, which would allow me shower at home. At least, on a normal day I could shower at home.

One thing that was clear: if I did any school activity on a gym day, I was going to be uncomfortable, unless I could figure out a way to shower alone.

Or — I could get the operation to make me all the way girl. I had to get it done soon. Mom had mentioned it when she told me about the reward money, which meant that my parents had discussed it. I knew that before I could get the operation, I had to get a new therapist and endocrinologist. I also had to wait for my parents to quit freaking out about the purse-snatcher and the bank robbery — not that *that* had anything to do with anything.

Then — not to change the subject, but — I had a funny idea. I wondered whether the public library has the Nancy Drew books... Then I wondered where the public library was. No, no, it's a stupid idea, I realized. If something else happens, they'll think I got the idea from the books... that I went looking for trouble... I had to avoid any idea of adventurous, crime-fighting teens.

When I left detention, I headed straight for the front door. Mom was there, talking to Sister Honororia. Hoo, boy. Remember: find a way to bend without breaking.

"Ah, here she is now," Sister said. The two women were smiling.

"Hello, sister. Hi, Mom."

Honororia looked at the books in my arms, and tapped her index finger on the red Yeats book. "So you found it," she said, approvingly.

"Yes, sister. I was able to read some of it during detention."

"I hope you were also able to reflect on the error of your ways," she said. I wasn't sure, but that might have been a joke. There was a kind of twinkle in her eye, but it didn't completely convince me.

"I may have," I replied. I don't know why I said it. What else was I supposed to say? It just came out of my mouth — but the nun seemed to think it was funny.

"Good! Good!" she laughed. "Well, off you go! Nice talking to you, Mrs. Donner."

As we walked home, I could see that Mom was very happy. I resolved to not burst her bubble.

"You like Sister Honororia, don't you?" I said.

"I think she's a wonderful woman!" Mom gushed.

Luckily Mom didn't see my face. To say I was taken aback is putting it mildly.

"I found out that my English teacher used to be a student here," I informed Mom. It seemed like neutral information that she might like to know.

"Oh, really?" she asked. "Mrs. Wix was a student here?"

"How do you know her name is Mrs. Wix?"

"I met her," Mom said. "I met all your teachers, while you were still out in California."

"Oh," I said, considering.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"I guess not," I admitted.

"So how was your day?" she asked.

With an effort, I managed to not sigh, and pretty much told her everything.

She just got happier and happier. Interesting.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Gulag Nun

The detention Nun! Well bending is good I suppose. To paraphrase
Lincoln, God must love bent people, after all he made so many of them.
Nice episode, and nice Yeats poem.

Sarah

What was the alternatives?

"I asked you to come here so I could tell you that you will have detention for the next two weeks. Normally a student would be expelled or at least suspended for doing what you did, but you're new here, and I want to give you a chance."

I wonder if Sister H, missed a chance here. If she was really interested in teaching Marcie a lesson, detention seems to accomplish very little except to divide her and Marcie further. Teaching, IMHO, requires a meeting of minds where the student learns from the teacher. Therein, a essay exploring the possible consequence of Marcie's actions in the bank, read before the Sister and maybe her fellow students might have been more useful? What would Marcie's lesson be if she understood the consequence if she had failed to disarm the robber, to her and to others in the bank. If she had waited until she and the robber were outside the bank, on the sidewalk, where hopefully the police would have followed, might her action then be safer? Would it have been anymore dangerous for her, short of getting into a car and being driven away?

As much as we might like to dislike authority, does that summarily mean Authority is wrong?

Though I am not in the mind where I believe females need to demure, I do expect some...

I have I poster on my wall from an article of Dear Abby's:

Maturity is the ability to control our impulses, to think beyond the moment, and consider how our words and our actions will effect ourselves and others before we act.

Maybe, this might have been what the principal at Marcie's last school was trying to tell her. What do you think?

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

We'll find out more

... about why Sister Hororaria is the way she is. She's wrong, she's clearly wrong, but there's a reason she's that way.

The “good” sister is absolutely wrong……

D. Eden's picture

Praying to God for guidance or resolution while a criminal is holding a gun to your head and using you as a human shield is tantamount to giving up. I suppose if she was being raped that the “good” sister would expect her to lie there and pray for the rapist’s soul?

Maybe someone should remind her that “God helps those who help themselves.”

There is definitely something going on between Mrs. Wix and Sister Horroraria (yes, I misspelled that on purpose), and her brother is no treat either. What kind of a moron cop advises someone to stand back and be taken hostage? And then tells other people the wrong story about what happened so that his sister wrongly punishes an innocent person.

I’m not even going to get into what I think about parents who allow a school to punish a child for activities which took place outside of school and are totally unassociated with the school. An activity which should be praised, not punished. And her mother is a total idiot to blame her daughter for the fact that she brought her daughter into the bank while it was being robbed!

I would be down to that school in a heartbeat raising hell and threatening the “good” sister with a law suit if it were my daughter.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

No, Marcie Will Not Break, But That Nun Will

Marcie has way too much spunk to just be a good girl like that nun wants for her to be. Something will happen and Marcie will save the day again. THEN let that nun just try to punish Marcie when the press invades the hallowed halls and discovers that Marcie is in detention and why.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ouch...

Last thing Marcie needs is the press looking closely at her, don't forget until very recently she was Mark, and while her cover story is fine for people who didn't know her as Mark, the people where she went to school before the story started will know she wasn't a girl. All it needs is one over curious hack to go an interview some 'former friend' and the whole thing gets blown wide open.

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Hmm...

I get this odd feeling, so much of what has happened in the story smacks of mind control, or something like Stepford wives. The whole thing is a little too perfect.

Now whether or not that is a contrivance, as in its supposed to be because it is, or whether I'm just reading way too much into the story I couldn't possibly comment.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to more Marcie Donner, and dare I ask for some more of Maisie's Diary

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Maisie's diary

In the beginning, I meant to continue Maisie's diary all the way through, in every chapter.

I figured that when the two eventually met, it could make an interesting counterpoint.

However, there *is* a story here, and (believe it or not) this story is driven by the plot.

Everything is building toward something that you couldn't guess at this point. At least, I don't think you could. Because of that, Maisie's diary didn't fit for me -- because if we knew what Maisie was thinking, it would short-circuit some of the story.

Also, Maisie's diary was so negative...

Once the diary did its work, I dropped it.

So who do you think is mind-controlled? Mrs. Donner? Marcie? Maisie? Me?

This is So Much Fun!

You've got many of us just spinning, and you've touched a lot of nerves regarding parochial school experiences. Even with you adding notes that everything will work out, we're still nuts. Wonderful! Can't wait to see where it all goes.

Oh, you are definitely the one that's controlling minds.

Discovering Poetry is not a bad thing...

Yeats. Okay. I personally prefer Robert W. Service, but hey. We all have or preferences. :-)

One has to wonder who was a student with said English teacher now. What is it about this student that flabbergasted (okay gave her pause) Sister H...

Another nice one. I'm glad you decided to continue to share with us.

Annette

Hm-m-m-m

Perhaps the student was just like Marcie, only she didn't have the luck of everything turning out right that Marcie has had.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

As the nun started out excited ...

... it was probably not someone bad. Not an "Ashley Alexandra Dupre" or Sister Honororia would have not frozen from a happy state, but a sad one or a grimace.
The fellow student to Mrs Wix was probably a graduate with a spine but did not meet Sister Honororia's "ladylike" requirement but is recognizably a good person, perhaps a very good person and maybe a legitimate herione. Herione usually precludes "ladylike and virtuous" but against Sister Honororia's preferences is accepted as good by Western cultures.

I Suspect

I wouldn't be all that surprised to find out that Marcie's mom was a student at BYHS and that's how she knew Mrs. Wix's name so easily. Also why she is so big on Sister Honororia's taking control of Marcie's wilder streak.

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Ooooh, he speculates with glee

The 1994 student the Sister zoned out on is either, as Karen suggests -- another Marice type only she died doing what Marcie does, maybe even was the much younger sister of the nun and the cop.

OR the Marcie-like student was Marcie's own mom and that's why mom is so worried, she's so afraid Marcie is just like her and she knows how wild and dangerous it was.

OR I'm totaly wrong.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Take pity on us oh mighty writer of this tale. As Dr Evil would say "Throw us a freakn' bone, would ya?"

John in Wauwatosa

You find out on Friday

... when the girls look at the yearbook. Hints will come along the way. If anyone's able to guess, though, I'll be utterly gobsmacked.

Do the Math...

If Marcie is high school age now, it'd be awfully tough for her mother to have been a high school student 14 (or fewer) years ago; a pregnant parochial school student doesn't seem as though she'd be welcome at a school like this one -- not even a married pregnant student.

Eric

umm

We don't know either of Marcie's parents ages either. the math could work

it is sad

wonder if her mother knows how Sister Honororia is treating Marcie. IT really isnt nice and im sure she does. she loves Sister Honororia and thinks she is wonderful. Of course it appears to Marcie as if her mother has turned againt her. aproves of mistreating marcie. Its kind of sad for a mother to turn againt her child like that :(

Check the yearbooks

NoraAdrienne's picture

Marcie needs to hit the school library again and get the class of'94 book out.. She needs to look and see who Mrs. Wix was back then and also see if she can figure out who her friends were that Sister almost mentioned.

Not that I want to defend the nun...

... but if you disregard her tough talk, all she's done is give Marcie detention, right?

And, Marcie isn't asking to get out.

Also, Nora gets the Clever Girl Award for today. Except that Marcie won't look. She's already protested several times that she's "not a girl detective."

its her first day

would asking sister to get out of detention do any good?
yeah aside from the tough talk (it can hurt just as much as actions) all she's done was give Marcie detention. IT was just her first day. I think the sister is going to target Marcie for alot of her attention. and ridicule.
And the reason is crazy. She's basically in detention for refusing to be a good hostage.

Explains a lot

erin's picture

Both Sister H's and mom's actions make more sense. Good stuff.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Role model

I know, it's your story to write, and we know it's a bit of a farce, but still . . . . In a day and age where children/teens are presented with lots of people with dubious morality and values as 'role models', I would expect Sister H to attempt to present a better image. That 'tough talk' is not likely to make her a person the girls she teaches would want to emulate, it displays a great degree of closemindedness and intolerance. I don't believe Marcie has displayed any need for the tough love type of discipline, even by Catholic Church standards.

In spite of your hints to the contrary, I believe Sister H could lose this war before the first battle is even fought. She reminds me of a different Captain from Bligh: Queeg.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

She will lose...

... but not in the way that you think.

Gifted Twisted Sister?

Does Sister H. have the Gift? She seems to have disappeared into a different state of mind for a moment in the cafeteria, perhaps died a little death, petit mort? Does she speak French? Many epileptics swear they had visions while under, to have felt closer to God.... She may have had a sudden insight into Marcie's plight, among other things...

?

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with the golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams beneath your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

William Butler Yeats

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Life Imitating Art

Kaleigh,

You and all your Marcie fans should really enjoy this. Today at FOXNews.com there is a story about a 15 year old female high school student in California that saved 40 elementary students on a school bus when the driver lost consciousness. The girl left school early because she was feeling ill and hitched a ride, with the drivers permission, on the school bus. When the driver lost consciousness the girl ran forward to apply the brakes and stop the moving bus. No one was hurt but two parked cars suffered damage.

The heroine's reward: Saturday detention for skipping school.

Sarah Ann

PS You are a wonderful author and I love your stories. In fact, I am so addicted I get up at 5 AM Monday - Friday to get my daily fix before leaving the house. Please keep them coming and thank you for the pleasure you provide all of us.

Oh My God!

That is -- I don't want to say funny -- but good lord!

Thanks for the news. I'll be laughing and shaking my head over it all day, I'm sure.

And thanks for the compliments. I'll try to post earlier, then! It is the first thing I do when I wake up.