What Maisie Knew: 15. Pray For Her Soul, Girls

Printer-friendly version

"Look at this, though!" I said, pointing to a comment in italics. It read The "evil twin".

"Whoa! What does that mean?" Maisie asked. "Mrs. Wix, evil? I don't believe it. It's impossible."

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
15. Pray For Her Soul, Girls

 

"Why on earth would you want to be a boy?" Susan repeated.

"I don't know," I said, squirming. "I was stupid. What can I say?"

"I can't imagine..." Susan said. She looked at me as though she was trying to mentally subtract my female attributes. Then she shook her head. "And you made people call you Mark?"

"Can we talk about something else?" I begged.

"Like what?" Maisie asked, as she crunched on a piece of celery.

"Like how Ms. Overmore knew that, ah... how did she know that my house was where Mrs. Wix grew up?"

"Oh, that's easy!" Susan said. "They used to go to school here together. They were classmates."

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"After Honororia told us that Mrs. Wix was a student here, I went to the library and found the old yearbook. It turns out that they were friends back then."

"Friends?" I asked. "Mrs. Wix and Ms. Overmore? Friends? I didn't even think they were the same *age*!"

It was hard to think of two people more different, or of a more unlikely friendship. One woman was fashionable, young, and energetic, and the other was old, frumpy, and slow. (And honestly, I'm not trying to be mean! I really like Mrs. Wix.)

Susan nodded and gave a cute shrug.

"I don't think they're friends now," Maisie commented. "They avoid each other in the hall, and they only talk when they *have* to. And then, they're really stiff with each other."

"Huh," I said. "Can we go look at that yearbook after lunch?"

Susan nodded.

Maisie said, "Anything you say, Mark."

"Don't call me that!"


The three of us crowded together at a library table, Susan in the middle. "You have to see this picture on page 19," she said, opening the book to a photo of the teenaged Wix and Overmore, smiling and holding a poster together.

Ms. Overmore was even more striking back then: her cheeks were fuller, her skin looked a little darker, and she had a sassy smile that looked like something out of a fashion magazine. The young Mrs. Wix was cute, pale, big eyed, slim, and smiling. Very different from the Mrs. Wix we knew.

The two girls were shoulder to shoulder, and looked like the best of friends. "See?" Susan said. "I told you!"

Maisie read the caption aloud, "Misty Sabatino and Yvette Collinson designed the fund-raiser's poster."

"Misty?" I echoed. The name didn't suit Mrs. Wix at all. I couldn't imagine anyone ever calling her Misty.

"It must have been her nickname," Susan said.

"Yeah, but...," I objected.

Pointing to the young Ms. Overmore, Maisie noted, "Her name used to be Collinson." She tapped her index finger loudly. "That means that Ms. Overmore was married, too — or is married."

The was married too jarred my ear, so I asked, "Is Mrs. Wix *still* married?"

Susan and Maisie replied with one voice, "Mr. Wix was killed in a car accident."

I was startled, and they both laughed, which startled me even more.

"Oh, we shouldn't laugh..." Susan began, putting her hand on her lips.

"... but it's an old, tired story..." Maisie continued, rolling her eyes.

"Mrs. Wix tells it all the time. Don't worry, you'll hear it. It's the tragedy of her life," Susan concluded. Her mouth was working as if she was trying not to laugh.

Maisie caught my look and said, "Oh, come on! We're not heartless. It's just that after you hear it ten times... twenty times... I don't know. It kind of loses its punch."

I wasn't convinced, but didn't feel like arguing the point.

Susan looked at me with raised eyebrows and a little smile. "Back to the pictures?"

She turned to the individual portraits, and found Ms. Overmore.

"She was already beautiful," Maisie commented.

"She's amazing," I agreed. "She could be a movie star."

"And here," said Susan, turning pages, "is Mrs. Wix." She showed us a photo captioned, "Margaret (Maisie) Sabatino."

"Oh, crud!" Maisie cried, "She's a Maisie! I picked this nickname because nobody else would have it. And who has to be Maisie but that old cow!"

"Maybe nobody calls her that now," I offered.

Susan nodded. "The other teachers all call her Margaret or Marge."

Maisie huffed with great indignation, but Susan's comment seemed to mollify her, at least a little.

"Look at this, though!" I said, pointing to a comment in italics under the name. It read The "evil twin".

"Whoa! What does that mean?" Maisie asked. "Mrs. Wix, evil? I don't believe it. It's impossible."

I had an idea. Mrs. Wix's picture was the last one on the right-hand page. I reached over and turned the page, and there was the answer: the first picture on the next page was Mrs. Wix's twin!

"Mary (Misty) Sabatino," Susan read. "She has a twin!"

Under her name was written In Memoriam.

"Had a twin," I commented.

"Freaky," Maisie said.

Suddenly, a voice behind us made us jump. It was the librarian. "Can you girls please keep it down? There are people here trying to study. It *is* a library, after all."

"Sorry, sister," we three sang.

Her eyes fell on the book, where Susan's finger rested under Misty's picture. "Oh, Misty," she said sadly.

"Did you know her?" Maisie asked.

"Of course I knew her. Didn't you know? I've been here since the dawn of time." The nun smiled thinly. "Misty was a wonderful girl, always positive, full of life. And she loved to dance." She gazed at Misty's picture with a pious look, and said in a church whisper, "The poor girl died March 17, 1993."

"The day I was born," I said.

"St. Patrick's Day," Susan said in the same moment.

"Mmm," the librarian said, making a point of ignoring our references. "She was killed by a drunk driver. Pray for her soul, girls, and keep your voices down."

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Talk about your coincidence...

...Wait, this is a story not real life. The only coincidences are those imposed by the author. Hmmm. The Tlot Plickens me thinks.

Could it be that the drunken driver didn't actually kill Misty? And maybe she's been held in "suspended annimation" all these years, just waiting for Macie to show up. Could it be that it was Misty on page 19 with Yvette. Is Yvette's name a coincidence too. Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks for more fun.

Annette

More thickening to come!

By this time next week, all the pieces will be on the board.

This made me sad

How very sad to think of that little girl waiting for her twin to come home.
No wonder she was looking at Marcie.

The parallels are a little frightening, given the path that they follow.

Sarah Lynn

Don't be sad!

It will all work out in the end.

Trust me: this isn't a dark story.

I dunno

Several times before, you've at least implied in your comments that Maisie might not be all that good a friend to Marcie in the long run. This episode seems to reinforce that. If she really liked Marcie, would she have sprung the "Mark" thing in front of another? I wouldn't think so. At this point, if I were Marcie, I would begin to distance myself from Maisie. Who knows what what she'll come up with next?

I worry for Marcie's physical and emotional safety.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Lots of speculation for us conspiracy theorists

The ghost of the twin is one possiblity for the girl in the window, or it is the spirt of the child she never had. Maybe Marcie is Mary reincarnated or she receives the gift of true womanhood from her spirt, is the ghoat girt Marcie's future child? The names are very close, Mary, Marcie.

That they two prievously inseparabe woman can't stand each other suggests the one holds the other responcible for the twin's death? Or did they love the same man and that is the reason. How did the man die and why did she not remarry? That the one is now faided in her looks and a bit heavey could be natural differences in aging, the stress of childbearing or stress, depression and guilt over her twins death, assuming she is dead and not criple in a wheelchair up in the attic. Read too many horror novels I guess.

Nice stuff, I hope Marcie proves to be the catalist to heal the shattered friendship and maybe heal Maisei and her mom's realtionship. Her dad seems a true jerk, the boats from much earlier chapter are a big tip off, but mom mght be salvagable or evn not ehat her daughter thinks she is.

You are making us think and my Braaaaain hurts!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The Three Musketeers Find A Mystery

You have added to Marcie's reputation now. It will be interesting to see what everybody thinks now.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The suspense over the weekend…

…waiting for the next episode, will be unbearable. This saga is really developing well. Kaleigh, You are a great “yarner”. Keep up the good work.

Hugs,

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Looking over the coming chapters...

All but one of the Friday chapters still to come leave one hanging.

Just a coincidence! I'm not *that* clever!

what maisie knew 15

wow a gost story that has to be the girl in the us stars windo wow now it comeing toghter and were is our nanck drew?to put all the puzal toghter?wow verry good and even a twist with a gost story in it wow ilove this ,[email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Any more page turning coming

Any more page turning coming up where Marcie will see her mother's picture in the year book? Perhaps she is a member of the girl group that includes Ms. Overmore, Mrs. Wix (Sabatino), and Misty Sabatino. Now that would really get Marcie going. Nice story overall, and I am looking forward to reading more of it. J-Lynn

Now there's a twist!

So,now which Maisie knew what? Lot's of coincidences? I think not...what's the connection? Dang, gotta wait 'til next week!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Delicious

erin's picture

I love that her girlfriends think it merely ordinary weird that Marcie used o be called Mark, with Maisie even teasing her bout it. :)

And do you realize that Marcie has the same birthday as Wanda's Kelly? :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Easy to remember ;>

Is that why you picked it, too?

Love this story, btw.

{{{;>
Wanda

Well hi there and thanks!

Probably... I think I was looking at the calendar and it was the closest holiday that meant something to me.

twins

very interesting

DogSig.png