What Maisie Knew: 19. The Idea Of Swapping Mothers

Printer-friendly version

Maisie cut me off. "Listen to me. I know that Ida seems like a nice person. Maybe she is nice to you and your mother... and to everyone else on earth except me." At this point, Maisie was fighting back tears. She dropped the wrench, balled her fists, and swore. "I'm NOT going to cry...," she said, gritting her teeth.

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
19. The Idea Of Swapping Mothers

 

After detention on Friday, Ida picked me up again. Maisie wasn't in the car, so I sat in the passenger seat in front, next to her.

This was the first time I'd ever been alone with her, so I felt a little shy. She seemed as she always did... sort of business-like, guarded. Not un-friendly, but not exactly open.

"Are we going to the old apartment?" I asked.

"No," she replied, "Your father took care of that today. That little place is history. He packed up everything, and once the moving men were done at your new place, they went and picked up the few things you had at the old one."

"Where's Maisie?" I asked.

"Maisie is helping your mother," Ida replied. She sounded almost offended, maybe even a little hurt.

"The mother-daughter thing is rough sometimes," I offered.

Ida looked at me for a moment, and when she saw I wasn't teasing or being mean, she smiled. "Thank you, Dr. Phil."

I laughed.

Ida sighed and continued, "I wish Maisie and I got along as well as you and your mother do."

"Yeah," I said, "well..."

Ida sniffed slightly, but I didn't see any sign of tears. I tried to find something to say to her, but the only things that came to mind were things I couldn't say. I couldn't tell her anything I'd heard from Maisie, because she'd confront Maisie with it, and then Maisie would feel betrayed...

For sure, I had no intention of wading into the minefield of Maisie's relationship with her mom. Better to talk about something else entirely. So I said, "Mrs. Beale, how did you learn about clothes?"

She stiffened. "In the first place, my name isn't Beale. I never took... that man's name. I'm Ida Falange, which may not sound like the greatest name in the world, but it sure as hell comes off better than Ida Beale."

She gripped the steering wheel tighter and in a low voice, to herself, she muttered, "Ida Beale! I was never Ida Beale!"

I wasn't sure how to respond, so I kept quiet. It sounded like she was on the verge of... I don't know what, but I didn't want this adult — who I barely knew — I didn't want her exploding on me. I didn't want to find out firsthand whatever it was that Maisie didn't like about her mom.

Then, Ida's grip relaxed and she frowned, as if trying to remember something. She glanced at me again. "But what was it you asked me?" It came to her, and her face softened into a smile. "Oh, clothes! Well, I've always loved clothes. Do you?"

Thank goodness! I'd hit on exactly the right topic.

Afterward, when I told Maisie, she reminded me that it had been her idea for me to talk about clothes with Ida. Whatever.

In any case, Ida really did love clothes, and she loved to talk about fashion. She said a lot that was hard for me to follow: she rattled off a lot of unfamiliar names. I realized that there was more to the world of fashion that I'd thought. Along the way, I managed to tell her that I loved the way she dressed and wished I had a sense of style like hers. I asked her what kind of shoes Ms. Means was wearing on Thanksgiving (Michael Kors). I even asked her how she did her makeup, because she has this very light, subtle style, that looks like the merest shading, almost like no makeup at all...

"Oh, honey, that's a whole 'nother hour or two in the telling," she replied happily, "and it would be easier to show you than to tell you."

I noticed that Ida had taken the long way home, to extend the conversation — which was fine by me. She really knew a lot.

She didn't just talk, either. She asked me questions, wanted my opinions, and she drew some things out of me that I didn't know I knew. It was great, and I was a little sorry when we had to stop.

"I have to say," she confided after we got out of the car, "I wish that Maisie had the same interest in looking good that you have." I smiled and shrugged. She took my arm and we climbed the stairs together.

As we entered the house, we could hear Maisie's voice coming from the kitchen, all bubbly and light. My mother's voice interjected here and there. It sounded like they were getting along as well as me and Ida.

When the two of us walked into the kitchen and saw Maisie's face flushed and happy, I said, "Hey, Maze, maybe you and me should swap mothers for a little while!"

"Sounds good to me!" she replied tartly, and I felt Ida's mood drop like a stone.


"You know, seriously, it might be a good idea," I told Maisie later, as she helped me put my bed together.

Or — to tell the truth — I watched her do it, and tried to hand her the right things.

"What?" she asked, as she tighted a screw. It was hard to believe she'd never done any of this before.

"Switching mothers. Maybe for a night or a weekend you could stay here and I could stay at your house."

Maisie stopped and stared at me for a minute. "Why?" she asked, shaking her head slightly.

"For a change," I said. "I heard how happy you were talking to my mother–" Maisie nodded, and went back to work. "... and I had a great time talking to your mother about clothes."

Maisie rolled her eyes.

"Seriously, Maisie. I could learn a lot from her. She could show me how she does her makeup."

"That stupid cow," she muttered, more out of habit than anything else. "I have to admit, she does know that stuff."

"And it kills her that you're not interested."

Maisie's tone grew hot. "That's kind of the point, isn't it? If I was interested, then she'd want to talk about it. If I'm not interested, then there's nothing to say."

I was about to reply, but she cut me off. "Listen to me. I know that Ida seems like a nice person. Maybe she is nice to you and your mother... and to everyone else on earth except me." At this point, Maisie was fighting back tears. Her jaw worked as she tried to push her emotions back down, but it was a lost battle.

She dropped the wrench, balled her fists, and swore in a low whimper. "I'm NOT going to cry...," she said, gritting her teeth.

"It's okay," I said softly.

"I mean, what kind of monster doesn't want her own child?" she growled, choking on the words. "Animals don't even do that! She and my father fought over who would get stuck with me. I heard them! And not just once! It was weeks and weeks! Day after day! All day long! You take her! No, you take her! Why should *I* take her?" She drew breath in a backward wheezing cry that was painful to hear. "I hate them! I hate them both! But I'm stuck with them and I can't get away!" She wasn't shouting — her voice was low, a near-whispered concentrate of pure emotional power.

A flood of tears and sobs followed, and she grabbed me, crying and gasping. She held onto me as if she were a shipwreck victim, finally on land, but still afraid that she'd drown. It actually hurt, the way she was pulling me down, but I set my teeth and waited it out.

I looked around the room, but there were no tissues... not even a scrap of cloth...

She cried on and on, and clutched me desperately. Her whole body trembled and quaked, and when I put my arms around her, I felt her rib cage right under her skin. She's nothing but bones, I thought, and those poor wretched bones shook and shivered.

There was nothing I could do but hold her.

I have been afraid in my life, and I have felt lonely at times, but I never felt that no one loved me. As I hugged my skinny friend, I caught a glimpse of that feeling: the terror and emptiness of being alone on earth, of having no one... no mother, no father, no sister or brother...

After a couple of minutes, she stopped and sniffed, but kept her grip. She held me by my shirt sleeves and rested her forehead on my shoulder. After a few more sniffs, she let go.

"I can get some tissues from the bathroom," I told her. "I'll be right back."

She smiled weakly, and I quickly retrieved the box.

After she cleaned her face, she said, "Whew!" She swallowed hard, then took a deep breath. She licked her lips. She sighed and her chest rose and fell heavily.

When Maisie could finally talk, she said, "That's the first time I've cried since..." a hard shudder passed through her and she shook her head. "... since it all fell apart. Sorry, Marcie."

"Sorry?" I echoed. "Maisie, I'm your friend. I'm here for you. This is what friends are for!"

"Really?" she asked.

"Really!" I said. "Come here, you!"

Then I hugged her until she protested. "Okay, okay! Let go, girl! I get the point! Lemme go! Enough with the mushy stuff already! Let go!"

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Whatever happened

erin's picture

Maisie has been terribly hurt. People can do some awfully stupid things during a divorce if they lose sight of what matters. Still, Maisie may have partially misunderstood the situation.

Very real, Kaleigh, as real as the tears I shed reading it.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Sorry for the suspense

We'll hear Ida's side (more or less) in chapter 24 -- which means Thursday of next week.

No hurry

erin's picture

I enjoy the pace at which this is told. :) I think most of us do, even when the rampant speculation gets out of hand. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

wow hot.

wow geting hoter than a to dollar pisto verry good and want more.oldhippie

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Poor Maisie

Needs Marcie as a friend and confidant now more than ever. No child should be abandoned by their parents like Maisie was. I am sure that if Ida was to start loving her daughter again, Maisie would change too, but THAT would take quite an event. I guess that means that Marcie gets to save the day again this time without getting detention.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That was really nice...

Makes me wonder a LOT about what Maisie heard or THOUGHT she heard. And what the parents were ACTUALLY saying to each other, and WHY...

Trading places MIGHT not be the "safest" idea in the world for Maicie. She DOES still have that "growth" down there. Explaining it might be tough.

All in all, a nice chapter. It was nice to hear tha Maisie IS capable of interacting well with a concerned adult (& Maisie's mom as well, for that matter).

Thanks, Annette

I'm sure

i am not sure if theres any reason that can explain Ida fighting, not to have Macie, every day for weeks. What ever her side is, I'm sure it wont be enough to explain such a betrayal.

To support speculation only ...

... it is possible, if that is the direction the story is supposed to go.
One possibility set covering both parents.
This might have been a situation where the father had inherited resources to support a daughter, and Ida did not. (even if implausible after the big deal is made of Masi's trust)(although in support of this inheritances are almost never* supposed to be considered available to be part of the "community" property settlements during a divorce)(or harder to challenge yet, yet the Llewellyn house might be owned by a Beale family trust and not be a marriage asset sellable by Aiden, or attachable for Ida and Masie's use, nor even occupyable (sp?) by the ladies after a separation if the trust manager does not like Ida)
The father might have not have the time (left after taking care of his mistresses and his business position) to look after Masie as an early teen should have available from her family.

So Ida might feel that Aiden's resources can do a better job of taking care of Masie without concern if Aiden is an active part of that or just signs the checks (for housekeeper and governess)

Aiden might feel that as a girl Masie should have her mother raising her to teach her the same things assumedly her own mother taught to Ida (especially if those things to be taught Masie include the same things that attracted Aiden to Ida in the first place)(something of a compliment from Aiden to Ida and not at all a backhanded one)

*sometimes elements of an inheritance are not passed on to the intended minor recipient but to the parent in the family line. So Grandma Beale's jewelry to Masie might be left to Aiden to give to Masie on her majority, but during a divorce Ida insists on custodial authority over the jewelry rather than allow Aiden the possibility to give Grandma Beale's jewelry away to his mistresses a piece (pun intended)at a time.

I don't know if I should be talking right now.

Maybe I should be in my cage, locked away and silent.:/

Lots of us come to the realization that we are not loved. Oh, people say it, but it is not to be trusted, not really. Kaleigh, you did a nice job of capturing that. I want to write about the awfulness of it all, but somehow I feel that those of us who have already experienced it don't want to think about it.

Love amongst humans is a conditional, fragile thing, not to be trusted.

A really good cry can do

A really good cry can do wonders for a person because it helps release pent up emotions. This is true whether the person is female or male (altho most males won't admit it because they were raised under the "boys don't cry" banner. So Maisie crying like she did is a real catharis for her. I am getting the opinion that Maisie's mother wants a relationship with her, but doesn't know what is going on between her and Maisie or actually why it is going on because Maisie has not told her why. You can't have a relationship when all trust is supposedly broken. I hope Marcie and her mother will help set things straight between Maisie and her Mother. J-Lynn

Possibly

thats probably what is going on. hearing your own mother scream 'what should *I* have to take her. every day for weeks can be shatteringly painful. Ida should know Maisie heard but its possible Ida doesnt know Maisie heard that.

Speculation

I prefer not to speculate rather to support the author in their efforts to find what is necessary to continue writing. Many of us do not realize how easy it is for a simple comment to make someone feel that their efforts are not worth the time and sometimes pain it takes to produce these stories. I rarely comment anymore because even comments can receive replies that hurt. Therefore I tend to keep my praise private and between the author and myself.
For all the authors out there that read this I want to offer my continued support and praise. You are wonderful for just offering up your thoughts and fantasies for us to pass the time and maybe just hide from a world that we despise for a short time. Thank you for whatever you have offered in the past and may offer again in the future.
I love you all,
Rachel Anne
Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Maisie's observations & predictions

Maisie has already shown that she is amazingly observant and at times incredibly insightful, so I'm loathe to dismiss her perceptions out of hand. I do doubt, however, that she has the whole story.

From what we know of her father, he's not the nicest of people. I wouldn't be surprised if Ida had felt that she needed to use reverse psychology, give her ex the impression that she didn't want Maisie, so that custody wouldn't be used as a weapon against her - and so she could get custody. What better way to hurt an ex than stick them with a kid you don't think they want? Ida would not have been able to explain this to Maisie up front, and by the time Maisie heard the words and saw the fights, there would be no way to explain it - after all, she felt she'd been betrayed. Even an adult would have a tough time overcoming the rift, and Maisie is still young.

It seems obvious to me that Ida cares deeply for Maisie, so I hope my guesses are not far off - I'd like to like Ida, tho I can't say I really do at this time. Maisie's lucky to have such a good friend as Marcie, and I think in this last episode Maisie's begun to realize that.

I like the pace as well, I think it's going well & look forward to following the story, whether I've got a clue or not!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Trust once shattered is hard to rebuild

It is a tribute to the power of your writing your characters inspire our *rampant* speculation. Consider it a complement.

I think maybe we may have tarred and feathered Maisie's mom too soon thought the dad comes off as at best unfeeling or worse a jerk and a cheat, even Marcie's dad dislikes him as the *bean counter* who forced their move to find work in the first place -- and indirectly led to Mark becoming Marcie. I think dad still feels some guilt over that.

It is easy to see why Maise refuses to show her mom any sympathy or interest of any kind beyond basic existence. I quote ...

>>
"I mean, what kind of monster doesn't want her own child?" she growled, choking on the words. "Animals don't even do that! She and my father fought over who would get stuck with me. I heard them! And not just once! It was weeks and weeks! Day after day! All day long! You take her! No, you take her! Why should *I* take her?" She drew breath in a backward wheezing cry that was painful to hear. "I hate them! I hate them both! But I'm stuck with them and I can't get away!" She wasn't shouting — her voice was low, a near-whispered concentrate of pure emotional power.
>>

Maise HEARD her mom AND dad say that many times and the lession, "they hate me" sunk in.

To errase all the badwill will take a lot of effort. Even if the mom proves she always was a good mother, think of the time they have lost and the love that was wasted. That Maise had to get her own legal help shows how far gone this maraige was.

Great stuff.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Maisie

Sounds a lot like one Ashley Spinelli--especially in the last line.

Well I think so anyway.

There's a lot to think about in this series isn't there?

:)

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Secret weapon

She was devastated when her friends found out.

She was even prepared to open a whole can of whoop-ass on them if they said anything.

I did feel sorry for her.

NB :)

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Google Spinelli

I had to do a Google search to figure out who this Ashley person was, couldn't find her anywhere in the story. Now, I have to ask, don't you people have better things to do on Saturday morning than watch kid's shows? Sure, if it was the Bugs Bunney show I could understand. But "Recess"? Puh-lease! ;-)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Recess

Nothing wrong with Recess.

We've seen 'em all and Fillmore, Emperor's New School (Hotty-hot-hotty) and most of Lilo and Stitch.

We'd watch more, but they've stopped showing Teen Titans and Ben 10 clashes with other programmes. Jackie Chan's alright too, but again, we've seen them all.

A person's gotta have a hobby :)

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

In defense of Spinelli comments

I have a ten-year-old daughter, and I try to do things with her, like go for walks, take her to parks and museums and so on, and I watch TV with her. So I've seen all the episodes of a lot of kids' shows.

One odd thing about the name "Spinelli" is that it's slang in Italian for -- what do you call them -- hand-rolled marijuana cigarettes. Spinello is one, spinelli is plural. I was surprised they chose such a name, but probably had no idea what it meant.

So other ppl don/t need to google it, Ashley Spinelli is a character on a cartoon show called "Recess" and she is generally a tough girl who doesn't acknowledge either her own girliness or sentimental life.

JK

I was joking about the kids shows, fer crying out loud! Did the ;-) winky face not telegraph that enough?

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin