What Maisie Knew: 22. Planning The Switch

Printer-friendly version

"Mom, you're killing me!" I protested.

She just scoffed. Dad was no help... he just slogged along, head down, perspiring.

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
22. Planning The Switch

 

The weekend was tiring, but it was good. Mom and Ida kept pushing forward, wanting to make the most of it.

My mother kept saying, "We can't lose momentum! If we leave something undone now, it will stay that way for months!"

"Mom, you're killing me!" I protested.

She just scoffed. Dad was no help... he just slogged along, head down, perspiring.

And Maisie and Susan were there, both days, all day, working.

"Aren't you guys tired?" I asked. "I'm just about dying here!"

They shrugged.

"We take breaks," Susan said.

"And we don't complain all the time like you do," Maisie grinned, "so it isn't as obvious."

In the end, all the boxes were empty, everything was put away, and all the furniture was in place. I didn't think it was possible. If I'd been in charge, we wouldn't be anywhere near done.

"Oh, but we're not done," Mom informed me. "There is so much left to do!"

I groaned. It sounded like she was enjoying herself!


On Monday, Ida drove me and Maisie to school. I was sore all over, but they seemed fine.

"Maybe you pushed yourself too hard," Ida suggested.

Maisie scoffed. "You're too soft, Marcie!"

I rolled my eyes.

"And, I told you to hydrate!"

I huffed loudly, but said nothing.

Ida dropped us off and drove off to meet my mother. They had plans and projects, and for once I thanked God for school, so I could miss all that "home work"!

"Oh, you are a lazy spoiled thing, aren't you?" Maisie asked, with surprising affection.

When the two of us were nearly at the door of the school, I told her, "Watch. Honororia is going to want to talk to me."

"About what?"

"About her stupid brother."

She shook her head. "If you get detention, you ought to complain of police harrassment."

Sister Honororia was waiting, and she *did* want to talk to me. "Marcella, a word, please."

She drew me aside to a niche in the corridor, and spoke in a low voice. "Marcella, you don't have any older siblings, do you? No big brother or sister?"

"No, sister, I don't."

"Mmm," she said. "That's right. You're an only child, so you don't know what it's like. It's interesting, but older children, especially first-borns, often feel an ... exaggerated sense of responsibility ... as if they were some sort of additional parent. Do you follow me?"

"I think I do, sister."

She fixed her eyes on mine and nodded. "They have a way of meddling ... or controlling ... It's a sort of misplaced ... or misdirected kindness, I think," she continued, "and it's often quite inconvenient."

Her eyes searched my face.

I smiled. "I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about, sister."

"Oh, good!" she replied with a sigh of relief. "Then off to class you go!"

As I started to walk away, she said, "Oh, Marcella... Let's say your last day of detention is Wednesday, shall we?"

"Thank you, sister."


Maisie and Susan were waiting anxiously. "So do you have detention?" Susan asked.

"I have one less," I crowed.

After I told them what happened, Maisie said, "Interesting... so even the wicked, controlling nun has problems with her brother, the wicked, controlling cop."

"Looks that way," I said. "But don't spread it around."


That night, Maisie called.

"Hey, Maze, what's up?"

"Can I talk to your mother?" she asked.

"My mother?"

"Yeah, you know that lady who lives in your house?"

"Ha, ha. I *know* who my mother is. What I dont know, is why you want to talk to her?"

"That's right — you don't know. But don't worry, I'll tell you after. Will you put her on?"

My mother was a little surprised, but she took the phone. I stood by, on pins and needles, listening, while Maisie did most of the talking.

As Maisie spoke, my mother's puzzled expression relaxed into a smile. She even chuckled a bit. What was going on?

My mother's side of the conversation didn't tell me anything. All she did was agree, saying, "Oh, that's a great idea! Yes, I do," and things like that. I kept making questioning faces at her, but she ignored me.

Maisie's voice was just barely audible, like a series of squawks. I moved my head closer to the phone so I could listen better, but my mother — my own mother! — turned her back on me so I couldn't hear a word! She wedged the left side of her body, the one with the phone, into the corner of the kitchen counters so I couldn't get my head in and listen!

Then she said to Maisie, "Oh, yes, she's here. She's dying to know what we're talking about." The she laughed, and I could hear Maisie laughing too.

I growled with frustrated impatient curiosity.

Then Mom said to Maisie, "Okay, great! That sounds like a plan! Yes, right, but that shouldn't be a problem. No, I don't think so ... No, not at all. Right! Good! I'm looking forward to it. Yes, Maisie, yes. I'm glad. Okay, here's Marcie again." Smiling, she handed the phone back to me.

"So what was that all about?" I asked as I walked out of the kitchen, heading for the stairs to my room.

Dad, who was sitting in the living room, called after me, "Don't monopolize the phone!"

"It was Mom on the phone all this time!" I retorted, and trudged up the stairs.

"Okay," Maisie said. "This is great! It's better than great!" She was obviously in a good mood. "You know your idea about trading mothers? We're going to do it!"

"What!? Are you kidding?"

"No, I'm not kidding! We're going to do it this weekend. That is, if the cow agrees. But she should. Don't you think?"

I sighed.

Maisie said, "Yeah, yeah, I know you hate it when I call her that. I don't care. But listen, you can come here and play the good daughter. She'll be so happy. And you can talk about girly things with her. You'll both be in heaven, and I'll be the hell out of here."

"Uh...," I said. It was a lot to process.

"Don't tell me you want to back out!"

"No, no, it's not that... it's just a surprise..."

"You want to do it, right?"

"Yes, sure, yes..."

"Listen, you hate working around the house, but I love it..."

"You do?"

"Didn't you see me last weekend?" she demanded. "Yeah! I fix everything around here! My mother is so useless. So's my dad, but anyway... if you stay there, you're going to work like an Egyptian slave girl, building the pyramids, eating only straw or hay, like in the Bible."

"Oh, Maisie," I laughed, "I'm sure that's all wrong."

"So? Do you want to slave around your house this weekend?"

"No..."

"Wouldn't you rather squirt perfume in the air and walk into the mist with my mother?"

"I guess..."

"Then listen." Maisie gave me the details of the switch: Ida would take us to school on Friday. She'd drop Maisie's weekend bag at my house and pick up my weekend bag.

Then my mother would pick us up from school on Friday and drop me at Ida's house.

One of the mothers would drive us to school Monday morning.

"That's a long time," I observed.

"Yeah, isn't it great?" Maze enthused. "All you have to do is ask Ida. She doesn't have a clue about it, so you have to explain it and sell it. You can do it."

"Okay," I replied. "Can you give her the phone?"

"As if!" she countered. "You can call her. I'll hang up. You call back. I won't answer, so she'll have to."

"Ah... I..."

"Look, it's better if you call her. She'll be touched. Okay, I'm going to hang up now. You call right back. Then call me after to let me know."

"Maisie, listen," I began, but she'd already hung up.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

No More Daredevil Feats?

It's been a long time since Marcie rescued somebody from evil or peril. Hope she hasn't lost her touch. Hugs, Daphne

Daphne

Trouble on the loose

And people accuse me of leaving poor defenseless souls hanging from cliffs. Way to go Kaleigh. Keep them comming.

Huggs & Giggles
Penny

That Maisie

Is almost as bad as Marcie is. She is showing to have spunk and a maturity that Marcie lacks. And Honoria even shows kindness to Marcie after her brother the cop was mean to her. Will be interesting to see if the switch causes any problems. Somehow I think it will for everybody.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm... Two very interesting...

... threads. First Sister H's reaction. (Is the brother OLDER?) Then, the anticipated parent swapping deal. I do wonder what went on in the conversation to make Marcie's mom laugh so much.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Annette

Lost Issue?

terrynaut's picture

Hey. Marcie is back and I almost missed it. I didn't notice it by the title. Duh.

ANYWAY, I read all of the chapters in one night. I loved it that much. The twists and turns are great. The mystery is wonderful. The characterization is lovely.

There's only one thing that's bothering me about this tale. I haven't read all of the comments but I haven't seen it mentioned from what I have read. I want to make sure it gets addressed because it's a very serious problem in today's society. It looks to me like Maisie has an eating disorder. She works herself to death, eats very little and even smokes to suppress her appetite. According to Marcie's observsations, Maisie is nothing but skin and bones. Those are not good signs. I hope Maisie doesn't end up like Misty.

Thanks for the story and please keep up the good work.

Hugs

- Terry

Am I the only one

Who thinks this is a really, REALLY bad idea? For one thing, they are trying to keep accurate knowledge of Mark from Masie and her mom. So putting Maisie in Marcie's house where all those boxes of boy's stuff labeled "Mark" doesn't seem all that smart. As well, this puts Marcie with Ida, how is Marcie going to answer any questions Ida has about her life in California without giving herself away. And speaking of giving herself away, what about the physical aspects. I think it would be hard to explain a certain appendage to Ida.

I actually stopped reading this when I saw it before work, I got very uncomfortable when Marcie's mom went along with this idea so wholeheartedly. Mom really is an idiot, isn't she? I bet she doesn't know Ida hasn't already agreed to this.

No, no , no! Don't do it, Marcie! This is a lose-lose situation.

Karen J.

PS: One other thing, NO!

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Sigh

Marcy is a wimp. Complaining about a little physical labor is immature to the extreme.

Marcy will only understand how fortunate she is if she does the swap. Marcy is bit spoiled imho despite all her good points.

Kim

Wow!

Let's get this straight, you are complaining about the "immature" behavior of a FOURTEEN year old?

Huh?

My last job I had to hear the whinings of 20-somethings who were being paid a decent hourly wage to work and thought it unfair. Marcie has obviously not been taught properly by her parents, and at FOURTEEN is too young to have learned it on her own. Given that Mark's parents did not require him to do things around the house, it's no wonder Marcie is averse to working at physical labor. Frankly, so am I; but I'm old enought to have been taught the value of it by my parents.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Don't know whether any of you have moved lately...

... but it's A LOT of work. Especially if you try to finish it as soon as possible.

Think about cleaning an entire house, unpacking a houseload of boxes, placing all the furniture, all in the space of a couple of days.

I *don't* mind physical work, but last time I moved near did me in.

And maybe I didn't show it well enough, but Marcie's mother is pushing very hard to get things done.

twice in a year

kristina l s's picture

It is seriously NOT fun. Sigh...I should really catch up, sorry Kaleigh.

Kristina

mom swap is on?

could be entertaining

DogSig.png