Night Fox Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Cora rubs her poor tired eyes as she takes a sip of her coffee. She’s been up most of the night looking at all the pictures she took earlier. There was something there that she was missing, but couldn’t spot it. She slips her jumpsuit on, her boots and the rest of her gear. Maybe a midnight run would do her some good. She walks out of her trailer and notice that all the lights inside George’s house were turned off. She starts jogging down the dirt driveway that lead to his house and turned right onto the main road that went right by his driveway and jogged down the road.

There wasn’t anyone else out on the road and the sky was beautiful overhead. She could see a river of stars. Ever since she was visited by the spirits, she has found the night comforting to her. She continues for a mile or so and takes a side road that was barely used and continues onward. She continues to run till she gets to the spot where George found her. As she is standing there looking down at the spot where she had been laying. The air around her start to twirls and dust fills the area. When it clears, she starts seeing ghost images of the other bodies that had been found here. A ghost van drives up and two ghostly men get out and open the back of the van and dump her body out. As they began to shut the doors on the van, one of them drop something out of their pocket.

Cora could see the ghost image of the license plate. It was an Arizona plate CVK-4987 the van was an old ford cargo model. She walks over to where the item had been dropped and digs around with her hand, because it had gotten buried and pull it out of the dirt. It was some sort of key. As she held onto it, she started to see images of the place. It was a warehouse. She could see some images of the area around the warehouse. She tucks the key into a pouch on her belt and run back to her trailer. By the time she got back the sun was coming up. She had the day off from training, so she was going to use the time to chase down these leads the spirits gave her. She knew it was them giving her these leads to help her with her task. As she walks into her trailer, it struck her that there was a van that had peeked her interest. She rushes to her computer and goes through the collection of pictures she had taken and spotted what she was looking for. She zooms in the picture, but couldn’t tell who was driving, but there were two men.

She checks the license plate number, against the number the ghost image had given her and notice they were the same. She prints out the image with the license plate enlarged. She needed some way to run the plate number to see who they were. An evil smile appears on her face as she changes her clothes and races out of her trailer to her beat-up looking escort and drives to the nearest Utah DMV. She goes up to the counter and tell the clerk a story of how she had seen some van hit her poor car, but she managed to get the license plate number. She tells them she needs the information for her insurance company. She did show her Private Investigator license to prove she was helping the insurance company.

The clerk she was dealing with felt sorry for her and ran the plate number. She gives her a name and address. Cora thanks the clerk and leaves. She looks at the address and didn’t recognize it. She heads into the area near the clubs where the other people had been kidnapped from. She checks those areas and then places near them. That were about twenty minutes away from those locations. The kidnappers wouldn’t want to be to far from their hideout and risk being caught.

Cora drives around for nearly two hours, before she finds things from the images that matched. She parks her car somewhere safe and sneaks near to the place. She finds a door and checks the key to see if it fit and it did. She presses her ear against the door and she could machinery and people inside. She could go in now, so she’ll come back tonight and check the place out. She writes down the location and heads back to her car. As for the information she got from DMV, she goes and check the location out and finds it belongs to a junkyard. The place was busy with activities, so she’ll have to visit it at night. Then she stops and thinks about it. It’s a junkyard, why not do a little exploring now? She pulls her escort up into a parking spot and gets out and head inside. There was an old looking man behind the counter that looked like he was doing this, because he was bored at home.

“Hi, I was wondering if I could look around for some parts for my car. It’s a 96’ Ford Escort.”

“Are you looking for something in particular for your car?”

“Yes, I’m looking for some new seats for my car. The ones I have currently need to be replace.”

“Well, you can find them over in the left-hand side. If you need someone to pull them for you, just let us know.”

“Okay thanks.”

Cora walks out into the yard and discovered there were many cameras out in the junkyard. They were just near the entrance. Cora does some snooping and finds the van hidden. She checks the doors and finds the driver side unlock. She crawls inside the van and notice they had a metal grate separating the cargo area from the front. She unlocks the door and when she puts her hand down on the floor. She is overwhelmed with emotions from ever victim they had back here. There had to be at least fifteen women and transgenders they kidnapped and abused. She gets a feeling they were going to go out tonight hunting for their next victim.

Cora takes one of the small obsidian knives she was given and cuts all four tires, so they would have a slow leak in them. She also pops the hood and put a small leak in the radiator hose. They weren’t going anywhere tonight. Once she was satisfied with her work, she goes to look at the seats for her car, just for show. Her car seats were fine. She just needed an excuse to come into the junkyard.

“Did you see anything out there you liked?”

“Yes, but some of those seats will need streaming and covered. They weren’t the same color as my old ones. But thanks for letting me roam
around out in the yard.” Cora hides a smile as she walks out to her car.

She was coming back tonight and find out who the people were that was doing this. She starts her car up and heads back home to her trailer.
Once she is back inside her trailer, she takes a nice shower and set her alarm clock to wake her up later. She made sure her stuff was out and ready to put on before going to bed. She had two places she wanted to visit tonight. She makes sure to take her camera with her. Cora finally settles down enough to drift off to sleep.

George pulls up into his driveway and notices that Cora’s car was back in its parking space. He had gotten up early this morning and had looked out his window to see if she was up and noticed her car was gone. He had wonder where she had disappeared to. He also wondered if she has found any clues that was going to help her track down who took her and the other woman and killed them. He knew the spirits were looking out for her. He had seen it in a vision quest. He grabs the groceries he has and head inside to put them away. He hopes Cora won’t be getting in over her head.

George goes about taking care of the groceries and cleaning his place up some. He fixes some stew for himself and Cora.

up
315 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm glad the spirits are

I'm glad the spirits are guiding Cora, and do hope they will help to keep her and George very safe as they complete their mission of getting the two murderers and anyone else who may be helping them.

Scum hunting

Jamie Lee's picture

Scum hunting became more profitable after being given the license plate number of the van. And aren't those two going to be a might upset finding the tires of the van flat. Plus the damaged radiator hose.

There are two guys who don't know it, yet, but their time among the living has become shorter. For sure they aren't going to like the way they leave the living behind.

Others have feelings too.