A Mother's Love - Vol. 1.11 - Conclusion

Printer-friendly version
breastfeeding.jpg
          
"You know something else , Steve?" she asked, after a little pause, only disturbed by the general sounds of the ward and the gurgle of Bekka feeding.

"What's that?" I wondered, while I gently smoothed my daughter's hair.

"Even in those jeans and that sweatshirt you still look very female," she replied.

A Mother's Love Part 11 - Conclusion

by Alys


Part 11
 

I sat in the chair next to Mary's bed. Since yesterday when I had seen her before my 'date' with Jonathan, she had further improved and had been moved back onto the ward with three other women.

Bekka sucked hungrily on me, taking her mid-morning feed.

"She looks contented there Steve," said Mary after a few moments of silence while I had settled Bekka to suckle.

"Yes, it is a lovely feeling, such a close bond, I'm so sorry that you can't Mary," I said.

"I can't wait to get home," she stated.

"It will be lovely to have you there," I said smiling.

The general mood of everyone in the family had been enormously lifted by the news that Mary's new HIV drug protocol was having a great effect in improving her immune system. As a result her cancer seemed also to be responding to treatment now. When she had asked her doctors what her prognosis was they had said that they needed more tests to be sure but that she had a very good chance of living another year.

"You know something, Steve?"

"What's that?" I asked.

"I thought I wouldn't live to even see Bekka smile but now I should see her crawling," she replied.

"Yes," I responded smiling, imagining the two of us cheering our daughter when she finally started crawling around the house and leaving havoc in her wake.

"There is only one problem," I said smiling.

"What," Mary asked, looking

"Maybe she won't crawl." I said looking a little serious.

"Why, is there something wrong with Bekka?" Mary asked anxiously.

"Well, it's like this, maybe she won't crawl because she..." I replied, with the slightest of pauses," will be a bottom shuffler!"

"You are SO dead, Steven Jones!" Mary hissed at me.

We both laughed.

"You know something else , Steve?" she asked, after a little pause, only disturbed by the general sounds of the ward and the gurgle of Bekka feeding.

"What's that?" I wondered, while I gently smoothed my daughter's hair.

"Even in those jeans and that sweatshirt you still look very female," she replied.

I smiled at her.

"Although I suppose the fact that the sweatshirt is pink, the jeans are mine, there are highlights in your hair and you are wearing subtle make-up might strongly influence in how people perceive you," she continued, laughing.

I joined in the merriment, it was so lovely to hear the sound of my wife being happy again after the weeks and weeks of illness and depression.

"Anyway so your hot date got past first base then?" Mary asked coyly, referring to the basic description, of my night out, I had given her a few minutes earlier.

My face reddened again, the second time in five minutes.

"I'm sorry about that, it must have been the wine and the stress, I don't know what came over me" I replied feeling a bit flustered.

"It's OK, my sweet," she said softly, putting her hand gently on my arm," I guess I shouldn't have put you in that situation, I just thought it would be interesting for you to see the other side of the fence, even for only once in your life"

"Yes, I guessed that might have been part of the deal," I responded, before putting my free hand over hers and caressing it.

Bekka, in her usual style, decided that Mummy and Daddy's tender moment had gone on too long and spat my nipple out to announce the official end of baby lunchtime.

Unfortunately a few drops of my milk leaked onto her eye before I could move her away and soon our precious charge was informing everyone of her mistreatment, at aircraft take off decibel levels. I quickly readjusted my clothes and took my little one out of the ward, while Andrea and George took over the visitors' seats.

In a few minutes I had restored the equilibrium between myself and Bekka and she was sleeping gently in my arms. I was about to return to the ward to put her back in her chair when I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. I flicked it open for the text message.

"Can I c u 4 a few minutes, just to talk, pls, Jon"

I was so surprised that I almost dropped the phone. After his revelation after our night out we had had a brief discussion on the doorstep and then he had gone. I thought that I would never hear from him again, but now a message.

I was a little intrigued about why he wanted to see me and was also curious because he hadn't yet explained how he had found out my real identity.

I replied.

"In café in 5 mins?"

"kk"

I walked quickly back to the ward and then, after leaving Bekka in her chair and briefly explaining the situation to Mary, made my way to the café.

I spotted Jonathan sitting at a small table, a little away from the main dining area. He spotted me just before I reached him and stood up to greet me. We lightly shook hands.

"I took the liberty of ordering you a black coffee," he said.

"Thanks," I responded.

There was an awkward silence between us for a minute or so, then he looked at me, directly in my face.

"Thank you for coming, Steph...Ste...oh no, I don't know what to call you now," he said.

"It might make it easier if you call me what you feel comfortable calling me, for the moment," I responded.

"In that case, thank you for coming to see me Stephanie," he said, smiling.

"It's not a problem, Jonathan," I responded.

"It's strange though, if I didn't know better I would say that you were one of the most attractive women in this room," he said.

"Jonathan, you know that's not the kind of remark I am looking for, but in a way it is a kind of compliment for my dressing up skills," I said," but tell me, why did you want to see me?"

"I wanted to explain my behaviour, yesterday, and apologise," he replied.

"Well I think it's best forgotten," I said gently," we both had maybe a little too much to drink, under the circumstances, and got carried away in the heat of the moment"

"It was a little more than that to me," Jonathan said, after a few seconds of silence.

"What do you mean?" I asked, wondering where the conversation was going.

"Listen, when I first met you on Sunday, I was first of all struck by your beauty, and then by your vibrant personality and finally by your heroism at supporting, what you said was, your sister in such a life changing way," he replied, looking at me quite intensely.

"I was pleased to be able to help you with your sister, but part of that was in the hope of seeing you again"

"OK, I understand that, even though it is all so strange to me," I said.

"But then," the handsome doctor continued," I found out your real identity when I read through your wife's notes to completely understand your condition more completely."

"How did you find out?" I asked.

"Well, I thought it was a bit odd that her husband and her sister should be using more or less the same name, Steve and Stevie. So, just in case there was more to the situation that appeared at first, I did a little research on the Internet. Your workplace has a nice recent picture of you on their website"

"Oh, I see, I hope no-one else has worked it out," I said anxiously.

"Don't worry, it isn't that obvious and I haven't told anyone," he reassured me.

Jonathan then explained how, after being surprised by me contacting him to accept the 'date', he had gone along out of curiosity, as a little personal test. But somehow by the end of the evening he had almost completely forgotten who I really was. He had felt deeply attracted to my apparent persona and it was her that he had wished to see again. He apologised again and stood up to leave.

"Listen, Jonathan, you're welcome to contact us when you come to London, we know some interesting clubs, and I would love to hear how you get on in the HIV unit in the Royal Free Hospital," I said.

"I'll do that, I promise," he responded, before shaking my hand and wishing Mary and I good luck.

I sat in the café for a few more minutes while I finished my coffee and pondered the strangeness of being perceived as the other gender. I took my cup back to the dirty cutlery trays and then walked at an even pace back to Mary's ward.

The beam on Andrea's face was so wide, when she saw me coming in, I thought her face might crack at the edges. George and Mary were also both looking very cheerful.

"What is it?" I asked.

"We had the tests ......and..." spluttered Andrea, finding it difficult to clearly express herself in her happiness.

"Do you mean Mary's tests?" I asked with a note of excitement in my voice. How good could they have been I wondered.

"It's really good news," answered George, speaking slowly and carefully so that the full impact of the news was made," the cancer is definitely responding to the treatment, and since Mary's doctors now think that it is only borderline stage 1 and stage 2 then there 70-90% chance of her surviving at least five years"

I stood astonished at the fantastically hopeful information.

"WOW, wow, that's wonderful," I said, loudly enough so that most of the other visitors and patients glanced at me.

"Come on George, let's you and me take Bekka for a little walk and leave Steve and Mary to talk alone," said Andrea, picking up Bekka in her chair and attaching it to her buggy.

I sat down next to my healing spouse and we held hands in silence for a few minutes.

"You know another thing, Steve," asked Mary.

"What?" I responded.

"You're much more important as a carer for Bekka than me in so many ways," she replied.

"Don't be silly you bore her and gave birth, that was the hardest work of all," I responded.

"And anyway...." I continued.

"What?" Mary asked

"You know that now, between us, we can give Bekka what every baby needs plenty of.....a mother's love"


The End

up
135 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Mother's Love

Has finally won against all odds. Now that Mary is fighting, she will be there for her daughter and Steve. And the scene with Jonathan was sweet. Alys, will you write a sequel?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

mother love

mother love that says it all
verry lovey and still going relly good .mutch love and happeness and god bless
oldhippie

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

You Can't Just Leave Us Hanging!

Arrrgghh! You create something so good and draw us in. You just have to write some more on these wonderful characters Alys! please... I do not comment much anymore and that is because I have to maintain a sort of indifference to the authors of this site and don't play favorites. Problems were created when I did not follow this. I did however fall as much in love with this story as I did with The Price to Pay. All I can do is beg for your conscience to allow us a further journey along in Steve's and Mary's lives.

You have a lovely Muse and she expresses herself divinely.
 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Thanks for reading and comments

Sorry that this story ended for people who wanted more.

The original idea was going somewhere else but the negativity after the last chapter made we want to finish.

Although, ironically, any other ending would have not been so good for Mary.

Hopefully these stories have touched on some interesting issues.

Hugs

Alys

LOVE

After Love Quotes the beginning of the newborn poems of love the mom ties with her kid through nursin

Lovely

I very much enjoyed this lovely story. But now Pandora's box has been opened, can you really close it again? It sure feels like this was only the step up for Stephanie for a whole new life of discoveries.
You write - conclusion. I think - part I.

Oh well, it's not like you've nothing else to do. :)

Thanks a lot though, I really loved it.

[ edit : after I read your own comment Alys ]

Umm, I hope with the negativity Alys, you didn't mean the criticism some voiced about the unexpected reactions of straight arrow Steve when Stephanie? These were in my opinion only just the icing on the cake. Sure you wouldn't expect this to happen from one perceived heterosexual male, going beyond mere duty in breastfeeding Bekka. This by itself should've been enough indication one shouldn't simply box Steve in one or the other category.
In my opinion you were just beginning to lift a little teeny bit of the fabric of ordinary established beliefs in sexuality, be them hetero, homo, or bi.
I was expecting you to send Steve on a journey of some sorts in an other -Stephanie's- realm to discover and find other or same truths of identity and sexual constellation. Maybe only to find Steve, himself again, or do a u-turn and find Stephanie. Or a mix-match where s/he could be who s/he needed to be when circumstances and objectives would be met in different ways.

So that's why I am a little disappointed you concluded this story. And said to hope you'll find or want to write part II. And III.. IV... :D To infinity, and beyond !! * Oh I'm getting a little silly. Sry *

Jo-Anne

Love the ending

Alys what great story. Steve has had quite the ride but he has held on and now has his wife back if just for a few precious years. He's had some mix-ups with Jon about his dressing, but has kept his focus on what was important to him, his wife and child. Just a wonderful story. The end did feel a little rushed but maybe that was because I didn't want it to end! Just WOW!
hugs!
grover

You're Sneaky

joannebarbarella's picture

I certainly was surprised to find that this was the final episode. Like other commenters I didn't want it to end, but you tied up all the loose ends and explained earlier situations satisfactorily, so(heavy sigh) I have to accept your judgement. A lovely story Alys, and told with great regard for your characters, who behaved like normally conflicted and confused, but decent, human beings throughout,
Hugs,
Joanne

Just HANGIN"

Alys -+ I haveto agree with everyone else that this story is just beginning where you ended it - It simes like it needs a sqicuel wven if you wait a while to think it over! It was great tory to your stop?? Richard

Richard

A mothers love I almost missed

Shame on me Alys for some reason I didn't think I'd like this story and held back from reading it.During my usual checking of the blogs I came across a response to one and your story was mentioned.From that I decided what the heck and jumped into reading the 8 chapters you had all ready posted am I ever glad that I did.You have a gift for offering us all the chance to see the many different directions that tg fiction can go in.As for how you chose to end it I'm fine with it.Some may want to know every aspect of their lives to the end but I think let them imagine it for themselves.Thanks again for another not the run of the mill story.Amy

A sweet ending to a nice ride

I can see how you could have easily took this story in several other directions.

This is as likely an outcome as any. Temporarily cross dressing and taking hormones to accomodate breastfeeding Becca did not fortell any particular outcome. His intense love for Mary and Beccawas paramount to Stieve and now to Mary, we see. Her actions were a fear and illness induced aberation.

I'm sorry if any feed back from us upset plans you had for the story but sometimes feed back helps. I know I've learned a lot about my characters and storylines from readers. Sometimes they were wrong but made a valid point that helped me. Sometimes I was way off base and the readers helped me avert diaster.

If you ever want to take that path not taken here or a follow-up feel free to do so. I see form my perspective most of any *pressure* we put on you due to the emotional power of your writing and of your characters. You made us care, you might even have made us live our dreams vicariosly thought your characters. That is high praise, Alys.

Bravo.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Plus most of BC's readers are Americans and we are pushy sods.

John in Wauwatosa

Nice End to the FIRST Part!

Alys,

I can understand your pressure to finish the story before it became too "dark", and while this last chapter seemed a little rushed, it still turned out VERY nice.... but you still have room to more story...

for example: It's been said a few times that Steve looks like a woman even when not trying to, having breasts will do that ( at least in the tg-fiction world! ), so back home, at the travel agency, it might create less questions if Stevie went back to work, instead of Steve, as Stevie will still need to provide for Bekka, as Mary will not be able to....

...also, Jonathan will be stopping by from time to time, maybe to check on Mary. Besides the Cancer, she STILL has AIDS, and he will be running that section of the Royal Hospital...

It's not too big of a stretch...

Well, either way, I loved the series, and will continue to hope for more! Keep up the great writing!

Sapphire

Waaaaah!

I know you said it was ending... And, you did wrap up MOST of the loose ends. But, what about Steve's work and the folks there... Specially the friend that got him to dress to go visit his wife?

Oh well. Maybe there'll be a sequel? Or at least an epilogue (letting us know how things work out a year or two or more down the road...) :-)

Thanks for a fun story.

Annette

Well Done!

Nice ending, and a good place to stop.

Beautiful Story

terrynaut's picture

Thanks so much for this story. I love it. It's such a fresh new idea. I've read hundreds if not thousands of tg stories online and I've never seen one like this. It's bold and tender at the same time. A father breastfeeding his baby girl just makes me want to cry with joy. *sniff*

I agree it's a good stopping point but I also think it begs a sequel. There are so many avenues left to explore - Steve's workplace and coworkers, Jonathon, Mary's health, Steve possibly getting more feminine as he continues to breast feed. I hope you consider writing a sequel to address some or all of these issues.

Hugs

- Terry

Great story!

I simply loved the story! Like other I feel this could be continued: how about two years from now when Becca is a toddler and Steven is perhaps still Stephanie...? Not to mention Jonathan...

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)