Tommy - The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl? - Chapter 167

Printer-friendly version



Tommy
The Trials and Tribulations of a Girl?

A Novel By Teddie S.

Copyright © 2019 Teddie S.
All Rights Reserved.

Chapter 167

Dinner with Vickie and Chief Tom.
The resort, the hogan, and a talk.


My life can be interesting, sometimes too interesting, and it can stop anytime it wants to, especially after what had just happened.

I had been approached by a guy that had tried to get me to provide them with a copy of the project that Dr. Joe and I were working on for the Los Alamos National Laboratory. We’d brought in the FBI, and they’d handled this little problem, with a bit of help from me. We found that the security people from Los Alamos were behind this little spy project. Also, at the same time, I’d found the proof that the project that we’d been given, supposedly by our Los Alamos people, was a farce.

Dean Rutherford, Dr. Joe, and I had made a trip to Los Alamos to talk to the people there about what was going on. We first told them about what had happened to me. They told us that they had read the FBI report on my little problem.

Our contacts at Los Alamos had then called in the two people from their security department that were involved in the little spy project. And after having a serious talk with them about what had gone on with me, Dr. Joe then hit them with the pièce de résistance. He tossed our copy of the fake project on the table.

This brought another heated discussion over the fake project. Our contacts said they knew nothing of this project, and were extremely unhappy when they found out about it and who was responsible for it, their security department.

We’re not sure if people got fired over this or not. But, the Los Alamos people did learn that not only was I mad over this, but the university was also very unhappy over what had happened and the amount of time that had we'd wasted over it.

The sad thing was the Federal Prosecutor had refused to file charges against Mr. Richman aka Mr. Smith over what he did. Something about National security.

The next two days were normal, classes, teaching, and no research project. On Friday, Amy and I did take a walk along the Rio Grande. As we walked, we passed the first bench, I didn’t want to see that first bench right now, and you could still see the tire tracks from the vehicles that had been there.

We did stop at the second bench, and it wasn’t long until the Eagles joined us. As we usually do, we sat and looked at each other for a little while. Then the Eagles flew off up river.

After the Eagles had left, Amy looked at me, and said, “You know. Every time we come here and the Eagles show up it makes me feel good.”

“I know.”, I replied. “I feel the same way. It’s like they bring il hózho´ - (the emotion of being happy) when they visit.”

“Yes. The Eagles do bring that with them. And, you know they brought something else with them.”

“What?”

“You know I was calling my seminar, ‘The Native American people as patients?’

“Was?”

“Yes, was. I think that title is too clinical and doesn’t portray what the seminar is.”

“So, what are you thinking of changing it to?”

“Treating the Native American people using their beliefs.”

“I like it, but why?”

“It’s what I’ve taught the ER staff. I’ve taught them how the spirits, the ceremonies, and even the medicine men will help the Native people through their illness or injury. I’ve even talked to the ER staff about when a Native patient is dying.”

“I like that. Your outline even reflects that. And, the new title fits better.”

“I’ll run it past Vickie the next time I see her.”

“Why not have them over for dinner Saturday night?”

“We can do that.”

Saturday we spent time working on our class work, both what we are teaching and what we’re taking. And, we went shopping for dinner. Then as I was doing a little apartment cleaning and started preparing dinner, I heard Amy typing away.

Vickie and Chief Tom were right on time, and we sat and enjoyed a glass of wine before dinner. And as we chatted, Amy said, “I sure wish we could host a dinner party like you do, Vickie.”

“Amy.”, Vickie said. “They’re part of being on the faculty and being an assistant dean. And, they can be a major pain.”

“I’ll second that.”, Chief Tom said.

“I’d rather just have dinner with friends and not have to include everyone else.”

“Oh.”, Amy said. “That’s interesting to know.”

“I’m happy just being here with the two of you.”, Vickie said.

As we were sitting and eating, Chief Tom asked, “So, what have you two been up to?”

I looked at Amy. She looked at me, and said, “Go on and tell them.”

I looked at Vickie and Chief Tom, and said, “I guess the campus rumor mill hasn’t gotten wind of it yet.”

“Wind of what?”, Chief Tom asked.”

“Well, that I’m a spy.”

“What!?”

“Well, not quite a spy.” Then I went on to tell them the story of what some people at Los Alamos had tried to do and what had happened in the end.

When I finished, Chief Tom sat back in his chair, and said, “Kai, I wouldn’t have blamed you if you’d have shot that guy.”

“Chief Tom, I hope to the Great Spirit that I never have to shoot anyone or anything. We carry the guns when we hike in the mountains just in case one of the Mountain People don’t like us being there. And, I’d try to scare them off first. After all, they were there first.”

“Mountain People?”, Vickie asked.

“The bears.”, Amy replied.

“Aren’t you afraid of them.”

“No. But, we respect them. And try to let them know that we’re there.”

“Yeah.”, I said. “Amy tries to scare them off with her singing.”

“You are a brat, Kai Nez.”, Amy said.

“I know. And, you love it.”

“And, you two can kid around after what happened to Kai?”, Vickie asked.

“Vickie.”, I said. “It helps to relieve some of the stress.”

“I can see that.”, Chief Tom said. “What are you going to do about Los Alamos now?”

“When the Dean, Dr. Joe, and I were at Los Alamos I think we made the feelings of the university known. I know that they knew my feelings.”

“I bet they did.”

“I think we’re going to take a wait and see position with them. I know they were talking about a project for us. But, I tried not to show interest in it, but I probably did.”

“So, you didn’t find out who told them about the Kai and Tom Young connection?”

“No. I’m hoping that Dr. Millman, who is one of the laboratory’s assistant directors, will be able to find out something like he promised. I’ll give him a little time.”

“Kai. You need to be careful. You are too valuable to lose.”

“Chief Tom. Everyone is too valuable to lose.”

“Vickie.”, Amy said. “To change the subject. I have something to run past you.”

“What’s that?”, Vickie asked.

“We visited with the Eagles last night, and I had a thought.”

“About what?”

“The name of my seminar.”

“You’re going to change it again. Aren’t you?”

“Yes. What do you think of, ‘Treating the Native American people using their beliefs?’”

Vickie looked at Chief Tom, and asked, “Tom, what do you think?”

“I like it.”, Chief Tom said.

“So do I. So, you thought about this new name while the Eagles were with you?”

“Yes.”, Amy said. “They were sitting in a dead tree on an island in the river, and we were looking at each other. And, it came to me.”

“You and those Eagles.”, Vickie said.

“Vickie, I also have something for you to look at if you have time?”

“Amy, after that wonderful dinner, I have all the time in the world.”

As she stood up, Amy said, “I’ll be right back.” And, she ran off to the small room.

As she walked away, Tom said, “Kai, do those Eagles just show up for you?”

“Chief Tom.”, I said. “Yes, they do. We’ve even shown this behavior to naturalists. And, even seeing it with their own eyes they can’t believe it or understand it.

“Last night I think that Amy and I hit on something. We feel that they bring il hózho´ to us.”

Vickie asked, “What’s il hózho´?”

“It’s the emotion of being happy.”

“Why do you feel that way?”

“Because every time we see them, either along the river or at the nest site, we always feel happier when we leave then when we arrived.”

“Aren’t they supposed to be the messengers of the Great Spirit?”, Chief Tom asked.

“That’s what we’ve been told.”, Amy said as she walked back into the room. “And, I think that both Kai and I believe it.”

As Amy sat, she handed Vickie a paper, and Vickie asked, “What’s this?”

“It’s the outline of the seminar. And, I’d like your input.”

As Vickie looked at the paper, she said, “I see you’ve already changed the title.”

“Yeah. I retyped the first page this morning.”

“That’s what you were typing this morning.”, I said.

“Uh huh.”

Vickie carefully read the outline, and when she finished, she said, “Amy, this is great. And, I can see how the title fits in.

“Now, speaking as your graduate advisor, once this seminar is over if you sit down and rework this idea I think you could use this as your doctoral thesis.”

“What?”, Amy said.

“Yes, this is an excellent idea for a thesis and all you need to do is expand on it.”

“You’re scaring me.”

“Why?”, Vickie asked.

“I’m not ready for that yet.”

“But, it won’t be long until you are.”

“If you say so.”

“I do.”

After Vickie and Chief Tom had left, Amy and I were cleaning up, and I said, “I’d like to go to the resort tomorrow.”

“Just for the day?”, Amy asked.

“Yeah.”

“Need to speak with the spirits. Don’t you?”

“Yeah. And, I’d like to also see Aunt Ruth and Uncle Paul.”

“Call ‘em. It isn’t that late.”

A few minutes later as I hung up the phone, I said, “They’d be more than happy to see us. Aunt Ruth even said that we’d better stay for dinner.”

“I figured that she’d say something like that.”

“Let's not forget the bathing suits.”

“Crazy Kai. She wants to soak in the thermal springs in the winter.”

“You enjoy it too.”

Sunday morning, after a quick breakfast, Amy and I were heading towards the resort. Two hours later we were walking into my aunt and uncles house. And, of course, we received hugs from my aunt, and she asked, “Kai, are you all right?”

“Sure, Aunt Ruth.”, I replied. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Your Uncle Gaagii told us what was going on.”

“Why did he do that?”

“He was worried.”

I just shook my head, and thought, ‘I sure hope Uncle Gaagii doesn’t get involved in this Los Alamos thing.’

Then I said, “Aunt Ruth, I’ll tell you all about it at dinner when Uncle Paul is here.”

“Okay, honey.”, Aunt Ruth said. “That will be fine.”

Amy and I then went to the thermal springs for a soak before lunch. As we were soaking, I said, “Honey, something is bothering you. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong.”, Amy replied. “I’ve just been thinking about what Vickie said last night.”

“About your doctoral thesis?”

“Yeah.”

“What about it?”

“The more I read about nurses with their Ph.D.’s, the more I’m not sure I want mine.”

“Why?”

“Most of them go into administration or teaching. I want to stay with the clinical aspect of it and do some teaching.”

“Can’t you just do that?”

“I don’t know. I guess I can find out.”

“That would be the way to do it before you decided.”

We soaked for another half an hour before we climbed out and made a dash for the bathhouse.

As we walked into the house, it smelled good. Aunt Ruth saw us, and said, “Good you’re just in time. Your uncle is held up in Taos, but he’ll be here for dinner.”

“What smells so good?”, I asked.

“I just threw together a taco salad.”

“Aunt Ruth, if it’s one of your taco salads it’ll be wonderful.”

And, it was terrific. After Amy and I had cleaned up the kitchen and washed the dishes, I said, “Aunt Ruth, I think Amy and I are going out to the remote hogan.”

“If you’re going to drive, you can only drive as far as where the bridge was.”

“Where the bridge was!?”, I asked.

“One of the telephone poles broke.”

“How did that happen?”

“Your uncle was coming across it in the truck, and he felt the rear on one side drop, and he was lucky to get off of it. He stopped and looked at the bridge, and one of the poles on the side had broken.”

“That only left two poles.”

“Yes. You can still walk across it, but no cars until we fix it in the spring. Your uncle is thinking of trying to talk the owners into putting in a real bridge.”

“No.”, I said. “It needs to be kept rustic. If it’s a real bridge, too many people will be over there. And, the hogan will lose its remoteness. And, that can’t happen.”

“Tell him that when you see him.”

“I will.”

Amy and I changed into our winter hiking clothes. We figured that the hogan would be cold until we got a fire burning, so we took blankets with us. When we drove up to the bridge, there was a barricade across it. And there was a pickup truck parked there that I didn’t recognize. And, I said, “I wonder who that belongs to?”

“No idea.”, Amy replied.

Even though one side of the wooden bridge still felt safe, we carefully walked across it. We then walked towards the remote hogan. As we got close, we saw smoke coming out the smoke hole. I said, “I wonder who’s here?”

“Like with the pickup truck, I have no idea.”, Amy said.

As we walked up to the hogan, we began to hear chanting. It was Naainish that was here. As we walked up to the hogan, we saw that the blanket was across the door, so we stood there listening. Finally, Naainish finished the chant, and then we heard him say in Navajo, “Kai. Ajie. Come. Join me.”

(The following is all in Navajo.)

I pulled the blanket aside, and I followed Ajie into the hogan. The fire burning in the fire pit was casting shadows on the wall and was lighting Naainish’s face. He looked at us, and said, “Hello, Kai and Ajie! It is good, and all is harmony around us. Come. Sit with me.”

Ajie and I then said, “Hello, Naainish! It is good, and all is harmony around us.”

Then, Ajie and I walked over to the fire and sat on a blanket that was on the floor across the fire pit from where Naainish was seated.

Naainish looked at Ajie, and said, “Ajie, you are troubled. You are concerned about your education. Listen to your spirits. Listen to your dreams. They will be faithful to you and not lead you in the wrong direction.”

Then looking at me, he said, “And, you, Kai. You have had a traumatic experience, but as you usually do you came out of it in good shape, and stronger for it. Again, listen to your spirits; they will not abandon you.

“And, you both have learned from the Eagles. They do bring you happiness. But, in time they will also bring you good luck, fortune, and prosperity.

“Also, realize, as with all living things, that they will pass over. But, as they pass, they will be replaced by one of their young, and it’s mate. You will always have a pair of Eagles as your companion.”

Amy and I sat there and didn’t say anything. I thought, ‘I’m not going to ask Naainish how he knew that we would be coming here. Or, how he knew about Ajie’s thoughts and my trouble. I know he won’t tell.’

Finally, I said, “Naainish, it is good to see you again.”

“And, it is good to see you and Ajie again.”, Naainish replied.

We sat and chatted for a little while. Then Naainish as he stood, said, “I know you’ve come to sit and speak with the spirits. I will leave you.”

With that Naainish went to walk out of the hogan, he stopped, turned, and said, “Kai, sit where I was sitting.”

Then Naainish left us, I stood and walked to the other side of the fire. Before I sat, I added some wood to the fire. Then I sat where Naainish had been sitting.

Ajie and I looked at each other across the fire, closed our eyes, and together started a quiet chant. After we’d finished the chant, we sat quietly with our eyes closed.

After a short time, I opened my eyes, looked across the fire at Ajie, and she was looking at me. I smiled, and said, “I love you, Ajie.”

Ajie returned the smile, and said, “I love you too, Kai.”

We sat there quietly for a couple of minutes, then as I extinguished the fire, Ajie moved the blanket that was over the door to allow some light into the hogan. We then picked up the two blankets that we’d been sitting on and took them with us.

We walked back to and across the bridge, put the blankets in the trunk, and drove back to my aunt and uncle’s house. And, of course, the pickup truck that we figure Belonged to Naainish was parked there. Ajie and I walked into the house, and my aunt, uncle, and Naainish were sitting at the table.

(We’re back to English)

I said, “Naainish, we have your blankets in the car.”

“I should have told you to leave them in the hogan. I’ll take them, and take them back there the next time I’m there.”

“Is that a new pickup truck?”

“Yes, the old one finally could no longer be repaired.”

“It happens to them all.”

Then I looked at Uncle Paul, and said, “Uncle Paul, I hear that you want to replace the wooden bridge with a better bridge.”

“Yes, Kai.”, Uncle Paul said. “It would make it safer.”

“Yes, and more accessible. It would make the remote hogan no longer remote.”

Naainish looked at my uncle, and said, “Yiska, she has a good point. That bridge is over thirty years old, and I’m surprised that it’s withstood the spring floods as long as it has. But, it’s helped keep that sacred area remote.”

“Okay, you two.”, my uncle said. “I’ll reconsider my thoughts on the bridge.”

“Make that the three of us.”, Ajie said.

“Make that four.”, my aunt said.

“I guess I’m outnumbered.”, Uncle Paul said.

Ajie and I helped my aunt put together dinner. We’ve had this before, but it’s one of my favorites. We put together super nachos.

Super nachos are made of various flavors of tortilla chips, with Pico de Gallo salsa, topped with beef and beans, and a cheese sauce. And, this wouldn’t be complete unless we had jalapeno cheddar cornbread, which we did. Dessert? Of course, there was dessert, it would be New Mexico sopapillas, and we’d cover them with honey.

As we were working on dinner there was a knock on the door, and Aunt Ruth said, “Kai, would you please answer the door?”

As I walked towards the door, I said, “Sure thing, Aunt Ruth.”

When I opened the door there stood my Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii. And, I said, “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, shimá yázhi Shimasani dóó shidá’í Gaagii.” - (Good evening, mother's sister Ginny and uncle Gaagii.)

I got hugs, and a “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní, Kai.” from both of them.

Then, as my Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii walked into the kitchen, they got a “Yá’át’ééh alní'íní.” - (Good evening.) from everyone. And, they returned a "Yá’át’ééh, t'áá ájíltso." - (It is good, everyone.)

Then I asked, “Aunt Ginny and Uncle Gaagii what are you doing here?”

“Kai.”, my Uncle Gaagii said. “We were worried about you.”

“Uncle Gaagii, everything is fine. And, I’ll tell you at dinner what went on.”

“Don’t leave anything out.”

“I won’t.”

It wasn’t much later that we were sitting down to dinner. And, it wasn’t much after that when my Uncle Gaagii looked at me and said, “Kai, we’re eating dinner.”

“Yes, I know Uncle Gaagii. And, Aunt Ruth put together a great meal.”, I replied.

“Aren’t you supposed to be telling us something?”

“Oh! Yeah, that.”

“Yes, Kai that.”

“Okay. One day I was in the university library doing some research, a man, calling himself Mr. Smith, approached me… ” And, I went on to give them all the sordid details of the problem with Los Alamos.

When I finished, I looked at my Uncle Gaagii, and said, “Uncle Gaagii, please promise me that you’ll stay out of this. I feel that it will all be handled internally.”

“Kai.”, Uncle Gaagii said. “When I got the call from the FBI about you I figured that you had gotten yourself into real trouble. But, when I learned that Agent Adams was involved, I felt better. He’s one of the best agents in the office.

“But, you shouldn’t have put yourself in harm's way by trying to stop that guy as you did. One of these times you’re going to run into someone more advanced in martial arts than you are.

“Plus, I’ll bet that the FBI had some people further up the trail just in case he went that way.”

“They did. And, you’re right Uncle Gaagii, I should be more careful.”

“Kai.”, Ajie said. “Please listen to him.”

“I will.”

“Promise me?”

“Yes, I promise you.”

“Thank you.”

“So, what’s the relationship between you and the Los Alamos National Laboratory like now?”, Uncle Paul asked.

“Right now, Uncle Paul.”, I said. “I don’t know. It may be over. And, if it is. It is.”

“What about your schooling?”

“I came out here because Ajie wanted to do her masters out here, and I wasn’t planning on doing any additional studies. But, I ended doing it. The teaching that I’m doing was because what Dr. Kilmer had done. And, I promised to finish out the year and that I’ll do. Beyond that, I don’t know.”

“Kai.”, Aunt Ruth said. “You know that we’re with you no matter what you decide?”

“Yes, Aunt Ruth. I know you are.”

“Now, I think you’d better take Ajie back to your room.”

As I looked at Ajie, I started to say, “Wh … ” I stopped mid-word when I saw that Ajie was in tears. I got up, took her hand, and led her back to our room. As we walked into the room, I closed the door and took her in my arms. She wrapped her arms around me in a vise-like grip and cried.

I just held her. Her tears finally slowed, and I walked her over to the bed, and we sat. She finally sat back, looked at me, and the tears were streaming down her cheeks. I quickly got up, went to the bathroom, took a face cloth, wet it with cold water, came back into the bedroom, sat down next to Ajie, and used the cold towel to wipe away her tears.

Ajie finally calmed down, and I asked, “Honey, why the tears?”

“You have done so much for me, and now you need help, and I don’t know what to do.”

“You’re doing it.”

“I’m not.”

“Yes you are. You are here with me. You support me as I support you. You love me. I love you. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

“Do you want to go back home?”, Ajie asked.

“To Ohio.”, I replied. “No. We love it here. If I can’t do research for Los Alamos, I’ll find something else to do.”

“But, you also love your teaching.”

“I know. Maybe I’ll get my teaching certificate and teach in the reservation schools.”

“You’d do that. I know you would. You feel the need for good education out here.”

“I do. But, I also feel that if I can teach others to teach that it would be a greater help.”

“It would.”

“It’s like you. You are a wonderful nurse. But, you are also a wonderful teacher. If you get one or two of your students to see that they too would make a good teacher, you are spreading the word of nursing.”

“There you go.”, Ajie said. “Switching the subject from you to me.”

“I do that.”, I said. “Because you are very important to me. More important than anything else.”

“No, you are also very important. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Sweetheart, I have a feeling that you will never have to find out.”

“You know. I felt that too when we were at the remote hogan this afternoon.”

“That’s when I felt it too. I had a vision of us walking down the path of life arm and arm with no end in sight.”

“I had the same vision.”

“Let’s put this thing with Los Alamos aside until we see what they have to say. Then, once we know what that is, we, you and me, will decide as to what we’re going to do.”

“I love you, Kai Nez.”

“I love you too, Ajie Nez.”

We hugged for a couple of minutes, then we got Ajie cleaned up, and we went back out into the main part of the house and to the den. My Aunt Ruth saw us, and asked, “Is everything okay.”

“Yes, Aunt Ruth.”, Ajie said. “Everything is fine.”

“Good. We all know that the past week or so has been hard on both of you. And there are times that a good cry can help.”

“Yes, it can, Aunt Ruth.”, Ajie said. “We were going to wash dishes. Why are the men doing them?”

“I just told them that they had to pay for their dinner. So, they’re washing the dishes.”, Aunt Ruth said with a smile.

“What?”, I said. “I don’t believe it. Even Naainish?

“Yes, even Naainish.”

It was a few minutes later that the three men walked into the living room. I looked at them, and my Uncle Paul said, “Kai, not one word.”

I smiled, and said, “I wasn’t going to say anything, Uncle Paul.”

“I know you better, young lady. Your sharp tongue is always ready for a remark or two.”

“Uncle Paul!”

“Don’t Uncle Paul me, young lady.”

I gave him a fake pout.

He just shook his head.

Then I saw Naainish, and he was grinning. I looked at him and asked, “And, just what are you smiling about.”

“The two of you.”, Naainish said. “One minute there are tears, the next you are wisecracking.”

“Naainish, after all the stress the last week or two, we need to crack jokes.”

“Kai, I understand. You have had some real trouble. But, you have handled it better than most people could. And, that is because you have Ajie and she has you. The two of you complement each other so well that it’s almost scary.”

“Almost? You should see it from this side.”

“There you go again.”, Naainish said.

“Sorry.”, I said.

“Don’t be. It’s your way. You can be serious when you need to be.”

“I guess I can.”

“Yes, you can. I’ve seen it.”

A short time later Ajie and I were heading back to Albuquerque. She was cuddled up next to me in the car and was soon asleep. It was too dark to stop and see the Eagles. That would have to wait for a later time.

That night as we were getting ready for bed, Amy became amorous, and as she was nibbling on my ear, she whispered, “Can I have Tommy tonight.”

~o~O~o~

Dear readers, Remember authors like comments. And even constructive criticism. Please leave a comment. Want to comment but don't want to open an account? Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- with a password of topshelf to leave a comment. Thanks.

up
299 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Navajo Cultural History.

My Father was raised on a reservation, I think in Oklahoma, near Shawnee, I think? He was said to be full blooded Cherokee. Very young, I was told to never speak of it, that people would hate me. I have been "called out" as being Nadeeli more than once, but looking at Cherokee history was not fruitful. Since I have been reading this story, and doing supplementary research, I've learned just lots about many Navajo people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Nez

I've had Christian ideas deeply instilled in me, but being me, it has been a difficult path, and I've been made to feel dirty often. I'm finding peace (Hozho) in my reading and research. I do not need to feel shame. I hope that I understand what I have been researching. I've been thinking of adopting the name "Haseya", and I hope that is permissible and not an insult to the Dine or anyone.

Eagles are fascinating to me. They are present near Astoria, Oregon and on Sauvie Island. I've watched for them near Ross Island, in Portland but so far none. It is easy to confuse Osprey for them from a distance.

Thank you for this story.

Gwen (Haseya)

Hello Haseya,

Hello Haseya,

We have Bald Eagles around here and nothing close to their size, except maybe the Turkey Vultures.

And, no one needs to be ashamed as to who they are.

Hi Gwen aka Haseya.

I am a Brit living in France and was, for over 30 years, in the military and then a further number of years a civil servant within the military. The motto that I live by, and the advice that I always gave to my soldiers if asked (and if an appropriate comment in the circumstances) is "To thine own self be true since you have to live with yourself".

In other words don't worry about what others think of you as it only matters how well you think of yourself as a person. Be comfortable in your own skin.

All best wishes to you, a comrade-in-arms.

One of my Great-Grandmothers........

D. Eden's picture

On my father’s side was a full-blooded Cherokee, which makes me 1/8 as the generations go.

Unfortunately, the closest I ever cam to learning anything about my heritage was in school as it was never spoken of beyond acknowledging who she was.

I truly is a crime what we as a people have done to the indigenous peoples of this continent - but then again it is a given that any less advanced society will either be wiped out or absorbed when they come into contact with a more advanced people. It has happened all over the world, perhaps hastened in many places by greed - and the Catholic Church.

Just another sin for the church to acknowledge.

I do know that I am not the only “two-spirited” person in my family. One of my father’s cousins was, and from what I have learned someone in his father’s generation was as well. Is this due to the Cherokee blood we possess? Who knows - but it sounds nice, huh?

I can say that the incidence of those with some level of gender dysphoria within your family is above average, but as to why??? There are too many potential factors, and science has yet to find a genetic link.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Revenge of the Great Spirit?

I see the Europeans that invaded America as perhaps being more murderous than the Mongols or the Huns? Not being a Degreed Historian, I don't know for sure. The "story" that I got from relatives is that the Injuns did not please God, so he gave their land to the white man. What self serving Bull Excrement.

Hozho

Haseya

This is why I, without a drop

This is why I, without a drop of 'Injun' blood, do not believe in any organized religion. I also follow the Indian belief that we don't own the Earth, but are its keepers, and we've done a VERY poor job of that.

D. Eden,

D. Eden,

I very interesting family story.

Cherokee

Since you are half Cherokee, nobody can accuse you of cultural appropriation.

I look forward to Kai's next

I look forward to Kai's next meeting Chief Kinlicheeny as she will need to understand that the Chief may not have been privy to the full circumstances surrounding the Los Alamos Deputy Director's enquiries about Kai. Both parties will need to be very tactful and understanding of each other's viewpoint, but Kai's clear but firm no-nonsense manner of dealing with others should ensure peace and harmony. She respects those people that earn it.

It will be interesting to see

It will be interesting to see what Kai does the next time she sees that Chief. And, how she reacts to what she's told.

Is it all worth the bother?

Jamie Lee's picture

Kai has supported Amy being being there for her, going back to school, teaching, and doing research. She deeply loves Amy, likes teaching and the research and continues supporting Amy.

But many other things have caused her problems because of stupid things others have done. Kai has come out on the other side, but is it worth it? Is it worth fighting a lazy professor who was so stuck in the mud he didn't realize the mud had completely dried up.

Then an ex-chief tries to claim something Amy and Kai set up. Then LA security pulls those two stunts. Is all this garbage worth it to continue teaching and doing research? Kai gains more with each encounter but to what end? What do these trials have to do with Amy and Kai's future?

The future of loving Amy is little feet running around the house one day, and a wonderful woman by her side until their ends.

Others have feelings too.

Pitter patter of little feet.

Considering the times, having kids might expose them to some social issues. Single parenting was quite the scandal at that time.

Amy needs a visible husband. Tom is going to have to come back in some form or another. Their marriage is going to have to become visible to all.

Moving back to Ohio would accomplish that, but they would be abandoning a whole life that they have in New Mexico.

It'll be a lot easier to accomplish that in NM after they get a house out in the country. Tom can then be visible at home, but not so much at the university and hospital. He will need some kind of visible means of support, though. Maybe a home business of some sort. A man seen as sponging off of his wife would also not go over well in those times.

A stay at home dad that makes money with a home business? Perhaps. And Kai can officially live in a separate apartment.

Hi Ray,

Hi Ray,

Some interesting thoughts. How to handle a family with two women. Hmm?

Hi Jamie Lee

Hi Jamie Lee

Yes, little feet would be an interesting thing. They do want kids, but when?