The Witch of the West, Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 4: The Epicene Boy

The next morning I rose with the sun, put on my new lavender dress, and went for a brisk walk. I passed a victualing-house where shop girls and men of business were breaking their fast. I asked a girl my age what she was eating.

She had her mouth full, but pointed to a sign: “Bagels and Lox … 5c.” “You order at the counter,” she mumbled.

I thanked her and ordered bagels, lox and coffee for only 8 cents! I was quite delighted and determined to dine so again.

After finishing, I took a stroll, gazing into the shops. An apothecary with a sign, “Cosmetics for Ladies and Gents,” drew my attention. I had seen many respectable city women with rosy cheeks and reddened lips – Caroline among them. Feeling adventurous, I desired to imitate them. A girl my age was arranging displays. Her presence ended my remaining hesitation. She explained how the effect was achieved, sold me lip balm and rouge, and helped me apply them. She cautioned that over-use would make me appear a fallen woman. Looking in a mirror, I fancied myself prettier, or at least more mature.

Hearing the clock strike 8:30, I hastened to the hotel and settled my account. They would hold my bag until I finished my business. I took a cab to the brownstone where Elder de Peyster’s sister resided and knocked just as the clock struck 9:00. A formally attired butler opened the door.

“Miss Nancy Winston to see Mrs. van der Leyden.”

“Follow me,” he said in an affected an English accent. Leading me to a parlor, he knocked, opened the door, and announced me.

“Thank you, O’Leary.”

I was shocked that Mrs. van der Leyden looked quite unwell – her eyes dark and sunken. She waited until the door closed, then beckoned me closer. “You are come from my brother?” she asked quietly.

“Yes, here is my letter of introduction,” I said, extracting it from my purse.

“No time for that. In what regiment did my brother’s man serve in the late war?”

“The 1st U. S. Dragoons, Company G, as I recall.”

“Good!” She relaxed ever so slightly. “You must take Alexander to Yonkers in all haste. He is in danger.”

“What?”

“The tale is too long to tell, but it is true. Are you willing?”

“Of course.”

She pulled the tassel of a broad brocade strip hanging from the ceiling. I heard a distant a bell tinkle. Meanwhile, she handed me a sealed document for her brother, which I put in my purse. “That makes my brother Alexander’s guardian.” A maid appeared.

“Prudence, would you bring Master Alexander to meet his new governess?”

“Yes, mistress.”

Turning again to me, she instructed: “Say you are taking him to the park. I will give you both scarlet capes. When no one can see, reverse then – they are lined in grey – and exit the park on the far side. Go to immediately to the depot. The hotel can send your baggage after you. Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

At that moment Prudence reappeared with a reedy child in a brown velvet skirt and jacket, white cotton trousers with lace trim, silk stockings and a lace chemise. His head was covered in elaborate curls and his waist seemed unnaturally thin. He ran to his mother and exchanged earnest kisses and hugs.

“Here is my pretty boy now … Alexander, this is Miss Winston. She is to be your new governess. You are to obey her in all things, as you would me. Do you understand?”

“Yes, mummy. Good day, Miss Winston,” he said with a little curtsey.

“I have an idea. Miss Winston, why don’t you take Alexander to the park so that you two may come to be acquainted.”

“That would be delightful, but I fear that there is a chill in the air and my baggage is not to arrive until later.”

“You can wear my wrap! … Prudence, would you fetch the scarlet capes for Miss Winston and Master Alexander?”

“Yes, mistress.”

When we were alone again, she hugged Alexander hard, kissing him many times. “Remember, you must do whatever Miss Winston says. Promise?”

The child looked puzzled, but said “I promise mummy!”

Prudence reappeared and helped us with our capes.

“We’ll be back in about hour,” I said as Prudence escorted us to the door.

“See you then!” Mrs. van der Leyden called out.

I strolled at a leisurely pace, holding Alexander’s hand tightly. At the end of the block I looked back. No one was behind us. At the end of the next block, I saw a man in a grey suit 100 yards back. He kept pace with us as we entered the park. I took a curved path through a stand of high bushes.

“Alexander have you ever played hide and seek?”

“No, Miss Winston.”

“Let us do so now. These cloaks make us easy to find. Let us wear them inside out and hide.”
In a few moments the man in grey appeared. After a brief glance around, he hastened on.

“He is one of stepfather’s men,” whispered Alexander.

“He is the one we are hiding from.”

“Oh,” he said with trepidation.

I went back the way we came, then took another path out of the park. On the far side I whistled as Paula had. A cab stopped. As we entered I saw the man in grey some distance away looking up and down the street. In the city traffic it was impossible to see if anyone was following us, but there was no sign of our pursuer when I paid the cabbie.

As I purchased Alexander’s ticket, he asked, “Why are we going to Yonkers?”

“You are to live with your uncle, where I will take care of you, sweetie.”

“And mummy?”

“She will visit when she can.”

His eyes moistened, but he said nothing more.

Our train would not leave for forty minutes. I stopped in the telegraph office to send a message informing the Elder of the change in plan. Having done so, we went to a shop selling coffee and oly koeks, which some call “doughnuts” – though they taste nothing like nuts. We took a booth in the back from which I could see whomever passed. Alexander had never had an oly koek, and enjoyed two. After 10 minutes the man in grey looked in. I lifted my cup, obscuring my face. He passed on. My heart raced.

Alexander saw me become tense. “You look scared. What’s wrong?”

“The man from the park is here. I think he means to harm you, but there is no need to fear. I will take care of you.”

“What can you do? You’re only a girl!”

I pulled my hat pin out of my hair.

“Oh my. That would sure hurt!”

“Yes, it would – so do not fret,” I said with a confidence I did not feel.

We left the shop with just enough time to board our train. There were few people about and no sign of our pursuer. I held Alexander’s hand firmly as we hurried along. Midway down the platform, the man in grey stepped from behind a pillar and yanked Alexander from my grasp. Alexander resisted, giving me a chance to trip the man. He stumbled. While he was recovering his balance, I drove my pin through his arm, making him release Alexander. I pushed the lad behind me. The thug righted himself and pulled a knife. I did my fierce visage. It succeeded only to the point that he took a single step back to square off against me. In doing, so he stepped off the platform in front of an arriving train.

I looked around. No one had seen what transpired. The squeal of the train’s brakes covered any scream. Alexander, clinging to the back of my skirt, had missed the sickening scene.

“Where is the man?”

“He is gone.”

“Good! He really scared me.”

Alexander had a puddle about his feet, but his skirt was dry. Taking a last look, I saw the man’s knife on the edge of the platform and took it.

I sat in the back of the carriage where I could observe all. A woman and a girl about Alexander’s age sat several rows up – the girl fidgeting on the hard seat. Finally, she got up and wandered the aisle.

“Excuse me mam, but would your daughter would like to play with me?”

“Why don’t you ask.”

“Would you like to play? We could play Cupid’s Coming or Taboo.”

Alexander looked to me, perhaps hoping I would forbid him. “Go ahead, you could use some fun.”

With little choice, he said “Alright.”

The children took a seat a couple of rows up. Soon they were both giggling. The mother looked back.

When she saw me alone, she came back and introduced herself.

“Anne Cummings,” she said, extending her hand.

“Nancy Winston,” I said, taking it.

“That’s my daughter Peggy playing with your … Is the girl your sister? You look too young to be her mother.”

“No,” I laughed, “I am his governess.”

“Oh, excuse me. I am so sorry! I thought him a girl.”

“It is quite understandable. He has soft features, is not yet breeched and his mother likes him in curls.”

“I see. … I must say you look a little shaken.”

“We had quite a scare on the platform.”

“A scare?”

“Yes, we barely escaped from a ruffian.”

“Oh, dear! The police aren’t very diligent in pursuit of purse snatchers.”

“I wouldn’t know, as this is my first time in the city.”

“So, you are a governess? I’m a potter in White Plains. It was my husband’s trade, but since he passed, it’s mine. I’m returning from selling my wares.”

“A successful trip, I hope?”

“Yes, quite. When I return, I shall hire an apprentice.”

“If you have no one in mind, may I suggest you look at the Yonkers Asylum for Orphans, where you will find bright and willing girls.”

“Thank you, I will.”

We chatted on. Meanwhile, Peggy and Alexander were happily playing with her doll. As the train neared Yonkers, we exchanged addresses.

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hasty retreat

Podracer's picture

Nancy has shown a fine mettle and I hope that Emily learns of their successful escape very soon. It is too bad that Caroline may have passed out of Nancy's life before they could become better acquainted.
I hope that the stepfather hasn't the means to track the boy back to Yonkers now that his hired "ruffian" has gone.

"Reach for the sun."

Time will tell.

More to come.

Why is Alexander in danger?

Jamie Lee's picture

What's up with the step-father? Why'd he have a man following Nancy and Alexander? Was step-father going to trying and have Alexander toughened up by sending him to an all boys school?

Nancy did good with that hat pin, unfortunate for that thug a train was coming into the station.

Others have feelings too.

Thanks for commenting

All will be revealed.

Family tradition has it that many women considered their hat pins emergency weapons. They could even kill.

Andra