The Mirrored Self chapter 3 and Epilogue

Printer-friendly version

Author's note. This is the final chapter of this story. Thank you to everyone that has liked/commented. It's good to know that my work is being appreciated.

I had a brief reprieve from the flood of memories I was having and I was able to take stock of my situation. I was laying on my side, on the floor next to my bed… no, it's not my bed. It's a four post canopy bed with a dark pink comforter. The floor is all wrong too, it's a hardwood floor instead of the cheap, worn out carpet of my apartment. I roll over into my back and feel a weight on my chest, which causes me to sit up. The weight moves with me and I reach up to grab the weight and am met with a handful of breast… my breast. On the verge of panic I look down and indeed see two breasts taking up a good amount of my view, and a clean shaven pubic mound. 

I scrambled to my feet and into the bathroom because I suddenly felt like I needed to throw up (don't ask how, but I instinctively knew where the bathroom was). I made it to the toilet just in time to keep from having a larger mess to clean up. After my stomach was done evacuating its contents, I went to the sink to clean out my mouth. Two toothbrushes, one pink and one purple, sat in a cup on the sink. I grabbed the pink one as if there was no need to question that decision. 

It was when I was reaching for the toothpaste that I noticed the engagement ring on my finger. I was hit with a memory of going out to a fancy steakhouse, Ruth's Chris, with Aisling and both sets of our parents to celebrate our graduation from college, and Aisling getting down on one knee when she proposed. I know it was the happiest day of both our lives when I said yes. Then I thought of later that night and the sex we had. I went from smiling to the point of crying to grinning like a fox in a hen house.

I brushed my teeth and rinsed my face and then took full stock of my reflection. First, I was naked, save for the ring of course. My sparkling blue eyes were staring back at me. My raven hair was in a simple ponytail but looked to come down just past my shoulders. A few more tattoos were scattered across my body, but all kept in places that can be covered easily. My eyes lingered on my slit, and I watched my hand move to it through my reflection. For all the memories that I now had, none of them properly braced me for the reality, and soon (maybe it was longer than it seemed) my knees were buckling as I had an orgasm. 

As a guy, once climax is achieved everything ends, but this body was craving more. I was on my way to the closet to retrieve a certain toy when I stubbed my toe on something hard and heavy. After shouting out a curse and hoping about a bit I picked up the offending item without thinking and gazed at my reflection once more. I watched in horror as my reflection grew younger. I tried to cry out, but I couldn't breathe, couldn't move. I was powerless as the years rolled back. Eighteen, sixteen, two of the three piercings in my ears disappeared, fourteen, my last remaining piercings vanished. Everything went black and I felt myself falling.

I woke with my heart racing. I remembered I was falling. I felt wet so I got out of bed and turned on the light. That's when I saw the blood and screamed.

It was difficult at first, having two competing sets of memories of growing up, but slowly over time all of them faded to the point that I couldn't recall them any better than scenes from a movie I saw only once and years ago. Some of the memories I held onto as best I could, most of which were of Aisling, but after a few months I woke up and realised that I couldn't remember her face or the sound of her voice.

As the years went on I did make a few changes. I had no interest in boys, or sex with them. If Aisling were to enter my life again, I wanted to give her every bit of purity I could possibly give her. I did masturbate… a lot… but made sure to preserve my hymen. It was difficult at times, there being girls and even a few guys that made me weak in the knees, but I held out for my soul mate.

It was now my sophomore year and I was sitting in history class, not paying too much attention yet when the door opened and the secretary introduced a new student, her dad just transferring to Camp Pendleton. I looked up and saw her, just as beautiful as I remembered. She was asked to introduce herself.

"Hi, I'm Aisling. The name is Irish, so it's spelled weird. I like books, music, and I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time at the beach."

The teacher scanned the room and saw the only empty seats were either next to me, or in the back row which would put her by herself. "Why don't you take a seat next to Kyla. Kyla, do you mind showing her about until she gets her bearings?"

I gave her a smile and said "Sure! I'd love to." I hope I didn't sound too excited, or even worse scare her off.

~Epilogue~

We became friends immediately, and close friends quickly. A few things changed from how I remember them, like her being the one to kiss me first, but I wouldn't change anything. With college behind me, I've already got a job with a graphic design company and Aisling is going to law school. Our wedding is currently on hold while we wait for confirmation on her scholarships and grants to be approved, but we are hoping to have the ceremony next year during summer break. You may be wondering about the mirror. It actually broke after the last transformation. I don't know if I dropped it or if the magic in it just ran out, but either way I don't care. I have everything that I could possibly want, a fiance that loves me and who I adore. I do wonder about the note I read all those years ago, that everything has a price, and wonder what my price was. All I can think of are my parents from my first life. I do wonder about them sometimes, but I can't remember their names, or even the city I lived in. The only other price I can think I paid was my desire to perform magic. I tried getting back into it, but the desire just wasn't there anymore. Maybe the mirror needed magic to work and maybe it used up all of mine. But like I said, I wouldn't change a thing.

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So We Get...

...one more transformation, apparently a move into the past. Perhaps not set up quite as well as the first one, but Kyla's original inability to "feel" her new life history does seem sufficient to me, at least on second thought. And it does indicate that if there's an ultimate purpose behind all this -- something world-changing that Kyla (or Aisling) is destined to accomplish -- there's more time now to set it up.

Not sure about the "city that I lived in" point, though. If meeting someone from Camp Pendleton in school had meant a major displacement, I'd think that adult-Kyla would have reflected on it before the memories faded. I suppose if it's just a question of which SoCal suburb she's from, that wouldn't be much of a factor.

Certainly an enjoyable story, in any case.

Eric

(I might as well say it; I'm generally uncomfortable with stories where by the end, the first-person narrator/protagonist doesn't remember the things she has written in the story. This seemed like way too much detail for "scenes from a movie I saw only once and years ago." Obviously it's very difficult to avoid in a story with this plot -- if the character is too vague on the original details, the reader won't get into the story, and Kyla didn't seem to have time -- certainly not before the age regression -- to write down memories she realized she was losing.
But my too-literal mind usually has a problem with that situation.)

First, "the city that I lived

First, "the city that I lived in" is the life prior to the transformation. Real girl Kyla would have grown up in Oceanside, but I intentionally didn't name the city where the story first takes place.

As for the fading memories, I had to watch the movie Fern Gully in elementary school. I haven't watched it since (I'm now 36). I can remember three or four scenes, but if you were to ask me what the movie is about I would be able to give you more info than the synopsys. The real reason for the fading memories though, is because Kyla didn't want to just remember growing up as a girl, she wanted to live it. She also wanted everything to be new and exciting, and she wouldn't have that if she was just living in the past with full knowledge of the future.

I will admit that I have a tendency to write from the first person perspective. I do think that this story would have worked better from a second or third person angle, but unfortunately I didn't go that route (I probably won't learn my lesson either).

I hope that cleared up some of the murky parts for you. Thank you for pointing out some of my plot holes.