Western Ways 1

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 1

The weather had stayed dry for a few days, so Natasha didn’t have to worry quite so much about the dry cough Jim had developed. They had managed to find a few shrivelled roots in one of the burnt-out farm sheds they had passed three days ago, and there was still a little remnant of the black bread and sausage the four Soviet soldiers on horseback had given them the day before that.

Jim had managed to find a dryish spot in a small stand of trees, breaking off a couple of branches and laying smaller ones over one side of the rough framework he fashioned. It wouldn’t keep rain out for long, but it broke the wind that was sighing across the open fields. They had slept cuddled into each other, wrapped in what he called a gas cape, the night stretching out to an eternity as he snuffled and coughed beside her. When morning came, they had debated lighting a fire, as a haze lay over the sweep of the gentle slope they were crossing. Before they had made a final decision, she had spotted the movement at the edge of the treeline about a kilometre away.

Four odd shapes had emerged in line, the pale sunlight flashing for a second from the top of the first, and all of a sudden, the objects had made sense, as a party of cavalry troopers, one with a pair of binoculars. That one had made some gestures to either side, and the three others had turned aside to space the group out before advancing slowly across the open ground. Jim had sworn, then coughed once more.

“Sorry, love. Looks like we’re right up shit creek”

As the troopers had approached, she had seen them unsling weapons, three of them shorter ones that looked like sub-machine guns, the other a much longer rifle. That one had pulled up, dismounting and pointing his weapon their way. The ither three had paused, while the one with the binoculars she could now see slung round his neck had shouted across to the two of them in a mixture of German and Russian.

“Hender hock, fucking fascist pizda!”

Natasha had called back as loudly as she could manage, in Russian.

“We are not fascists! We have no weapons!”

“Huh? Fucking shlyukha?”

A couple of sharp instructions to two of his men, the third remaining a little distance away, rifle unwaveringly pointed at the two of them, and then the three mounted soldiers had approached slowly, still spread out, three dark muzzles ready for use.

The oldest, with the binoculars, and who had a heavy Georgian accent, had looked her up and down.

“Where are you from, girl? You’re no fucking Pole or Czech!”

“I’m from Moscow, Comrade Junior Sergeant”

“What the fuck are you doing here?”

“The… I was a student in Kyiv. The Fascists made me work”

The soldier’s gaze had gone directly to her breasts, and she shook her head, the word he had called her still hurting her pride.

“No! Not like that! I was studying foreign languages!”

His blond friend, who sounded like a Muscovite, had laughed out loud, showing several missing teeth.

“What the fuck for? Russian not good enough for you?”

The third had grunted.

“Best have a good answer for that one, girly, for when the Cheka ask you. And who the fuck is that? What sort of uniform is that supposed to be?”

The first soldier had held up a hand.

“Shut it, you two. Girly, we aren’t those bastards, so give an honest answer, right? And what uniform is that? Wrong colour for a fascist pizda”

Jim was looking worried, but he had caught some of the meaning behind the questions, and pulled himself to his feet, all four weapons turning towards him as he rose and answered in English.

“Allen, James Robson, Sergeant, Royal Northumberland Fusiliers”, followed by a string of numbers.

Natasha had waved him to sit back down, as he swayed in a parody of ‘attention’.

“Sir, Comrade Junior Sergeant, he is a British man the fascists held as a prisoner. That was my role, as an interpreter. Nothing more”

“What is he doing here?”

“They moved many of their prisoners to their East, Comrade Junior Sergeant. All he wants to do is go home. We are following the front as it moves forward, but it is hard”

The muscovite had laughed once more.

“No more front now, girly! Not unless the Americans are stupid”

The Junior Sergeant had muttered something in his own language, not realising it was one she understood until he caught the slight widening of her eyes, and then he had given her a very slight head shake: ‘Don’t’. He had then drawn a long breath, then let it out slowly as he calmed himself once again.

“Fascists have surrendered, girly. All over, and that fucking bollockless bastard and his shlyukha are dead. Shot themselves, yes? Lads in Berlin are busy at the moment, with so many lamp posts to decorate. Running out of rope, they are. Do you know where you are?”

“Not sure. I know it’s not Poland, and I don’t think we’ve reached Germany. Czechia?”

A sharp nod, and a wave of his arm.

“Pilsen is over there. Fascists call it Budweiss or something. It’s all shit, written in Roman, of course. I’d stay well away. Three, four days that way, small town. Americans are there”

He had shaken his head, almost in resignation.

“Don’t let the fucking Cheka catch you. NKVD will not believe you, girly”

Another braying laugh from the blond.

“Oh, they’ll believe her, all right, but that won’t mean a fucking thing! They’ll still send you to the Gulag, if they don’t just waste a couple of bullets in the backs of your heads. Here!”

A couple of links of dried sausage and a heel of black bread had come out of his knapsack, and the smile from the blond had been far softer.

“We can see what you’re hoping for, girly. Don’t get caught”

They had turned their horses, weapons slung once more, and ridden off to the South, Jim’s eyes following them as they left.

“What was all that about, love?”

“Ah, we were just being very, very lucky”

“That corporal, he said something under his breath, but it wasn’t in Russian, was it?”

“No. That was in Georgian”

“What did he say?”

A careful look around, just in case there were any other eavesdroppers, even though the land was so open she would have spotted them a couple of kilometres away. Old habits, from painful lessons.

“He said the war was over, that Hitler and the others are dead”

“And the rest?”

“Ah, that he hoped a little man from his own Soviet Republic had enough sense not to start all over again with the Americans. They are four days further, that way, the allies”

Another worrying cough.

“Soonest started, soonest finished, then!”

Three days later, the bread and sausage eked out by the dried but unidentifiable roots, and they were still some way from any obvious front line, peaceful or otherwise. A night in the shelter of a small hedge ended badly, Jim shaking her awake as the memories savaged her dreaming mind. Herr Doktor Messner was always first to invade her sleep, his associate the Hauptsturmführer, Ganz, and it was ever the same words, as Ganz smiled, blowing cigarette smoke into her face.

“I don’t care how loud it is, Natalya Ivanova. Just the words. You don’t need to translate any other sounds they may make”

Those sounds, though, were always the worst part, but the screaming was an inevitable human reaction, to things, acts, which were abhuman. The others… Messner had days when he liked to play with finer tools, almost those of a jeweller or watchmaker, but on others it was bolt-croppers and meat cleavers. Those were the sounds that would never leave her.

Jim held her until she could speak again, as he did most nights, even when she could no longer find words, but that night was one of the rarer ones where she could actually speak about parts of it. Only parts, though.

“Jim, it was all so useless! There was nothing they could tell them, no information, no intelligence about troops or tanks. And most of what they asked was about buried gold”

He grunted, hugging her closer, and she rambled on for a few moments more, until his rattly breathing eased a little, and she knew he was asleep once more.

Three and a half years of sounds…

The Germans had made a new religion out of old hatred, and ended up believing the lies they had used as foundations. All Jews were rich, even if they were poor, and because of the first premise, the second could never be true, which meant that the poorest of the poor must have hidden wealth. Her days had alternated between translating for prisoner interrogation, which was not quite as brutal, and being used by Ganz for his own personal treasure hunt. The Germans classed her as what they called a HiWi, a civilian collaborator, but with an uplift in status due to her utility. She didn’t sleep in some broken building in the city, like the other HiWis, as the Germans had set up a wired compound for people like her, those the Germans valued enough to do a little to avoid the risk of someone cutting their throats as traitors. The little fortress, or maybe prison, also housed several of the German officers’ girlfriends, and it was where she had met Jim.

Non-Soviet prisoners were housed in an adjoining compound, with that strange German inconsistency in treatment between what they did to the Untermensch and what was delivered to those deemed to be racially or politically superior. She had seen what happened to Soviet captives, and when she had first encountered the British and American prisoners, she had been astonished at how well-fed they had looked, how cheerful many were. A couple of days after the British prisoners arrived, she found Valentina, one of the ‘girlfriends’, at her shoulder as she stared at the young men in the dirt-coloured clothing.

“Ah, Natasha, they’ll all be gone in a while”

Natasha had jerked at the words, Valentina placing a hand on each shoulder.

“No, girl! Not like that! Not unless any of them is a Yid, of course. Anyway, Heinzl tells me they use gas now, not bullets. More humane, he tells me. And cheaper, more efficient. He’s working with the English, now. Got a special job”

One of the men in brown was staring at the two women, and as Natasha watched, he had given a little wave and smile, and automatically she had returned the gesture, as Valentina had giggled.

“You like that one? If he has sense, you might get to meet him properly. And I mean…”

A very rude gesture had followed, with another bout of giggles.

“Not in the same clothes, though! That’s the special job Heinzl has”

“What special job?”

“It’s the Waffen-SS, Natasha. They are expanding. Heinzl says that there are Aryans outside Germany, not just the Volksdeutsche. They’ve got the Danish and the Dutch joining now, and he’s going around the camps looking for British recruits. For a Free Corps. Like Vlasov, yes?”

“What do you mean?”

“Ah, it’s a common enemy, Heinzl says. Bolsheviks, Russians. We just need to make the Amis understand, then we can let them come straight through, smash the Bolsheviks and the Yids. Save civilisation. And he tells me the Führer’s got new weapons, amazing ones”

Natasha had stared at the other woman until she had snapped back a quick “What?”

A pause for breath, and then Valentina had been off on her usual obsession. Always the same thing, the hatred of the Soviets for what a Georgian thug had done to her grandparents, her parents, her cousins, her friends and their families. Pointless to argue, because Valentina was actually right in everything she said about the Reds, apart from that single small error: the Germans were no different, not in any meaningful way at all. Not for the first time, Natasha had wondered how Valentina might react if she ever saw ‘Heinzl’ at his real work, to which role Natasha herself was a regular witness. He wasn’t more than a moderately proficient torturer, lacking the subtlety and imagination of the true sadists such as Messner, or the utter inhumanity of Ganz, but ‘Heinzl’ managed more than adequately.

Three days later, Heinz had come for Natasha.

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Shorter work

I have been planning on writing this for some years, as it is based on a real story involving two people I knew, now deceased. It has no trans content at the moment (I may include some later, but it isn't necessary).

I hope it works here; please let me know. The two Russian words are very rude slang terms for a vagina and a lady of negotiable morality.

I am still working on 'Rainbows', but am plotting a complicated part, so apologies for the delay.

*

An interesting story. I hope you continue.

I have a comment about the following:

Pointless to argue, because Valentina was actually right in everything she said about the Reds, apart from that single small error: the Germans were no different, not in any meaningful way at all.

Fascist (Nazis) and Communists (Reds) are often believed to be opposites. If you listen to what they say (and don't think about it much) it can seem that they are different, maybe even opposite.

But if you look at what these two groups actually do you see, as Cyclist points out in the above quote, that the two philosophies are essentially identical.

Thank you Steph for posting this.

T

Fascism = Communism

Hard Left and Hard Right

are much the same.
I remember telling that to a motley bunch of lefties when I was at Uni around 1973/74. They were objecting to a right of centre speaker coming to the place. I reminded them of free speech and that there wasn't a lot of difference between the hard left and the hard right.
Some of the not so hard left agreed with me. The Maoists (Chairman Mao was still alive) were against everything. No surprise there then.
When it was pointed out that both sides went in for state control of pretty well everything, they sulked off.

Those were the days...
Samantha

My Dad Was A Communist

joannebarbarella's picture

He was born in 1903 and brought up in a small Scottish community where his choices when he finished schooling at 14 were to go down the mines or become a sailor. No other choice in those days like further education or university (har!har!). So he joined the Merchant Marine.
The people described in this story (so far) were hardened warriors who had seen the brutality of war and been brutalised themselves. Their experiences shaped their actions.

My father fought the Fascists in his own way, running the blockade to Barcelona in the Spanish Civil War from the mid 1930s until the start of WW2 and then throughout that war until its end in 1945. He always believed that the working class deserved better than what the ruling classes allowed them to have. He was not a Stalinist and left the party when the Russians crushed the Hungarians in 1956.

He was not some kind of thug and I just want to make the point that while both Communists and Fascists/Nazis had sadistic arseholes in their ranks there were decent people on the Communist side who believed they were fighting for a better world. Their ideals were perverted by the power structures of those who became the face of the USSR and its eastern allies.

The power hungry

Robyn B's picture

Joanne,
There are many groups/philosophies/cultures that have quite hopeful and positive ideals. Unfortunately there are individuals who come along seeking power wherever they can find it and usurp and distort whatever ideals that were, for their own ends. It is these sort of people who have brought all the calamity to this world over all of its history.

Even in legitimate authority (duly elected officials) have these issues from local government to regional and federal levels.

Robyn B
Sydney

*

We are, first and foremost, individuals. But we also form ourselves into groups for various reasons. Sometimes we join a group voluntarily because we believe (or believe we believe) in what the group claims to champion.

Other times we join a group because if we do not the group will attack us. Or worse, they will attack those we love.

This willingness to attack us and our loved ones is what prompts me to pose my equation:

Fascism = Communism.

Totalitarianism is as totalitarianism does. (Thank you Forest.)

Your father sounds like he found a way navigate that nasty time in history without having to sacrifice himself and without lowering himself to the level of those who were "leading" him and the others.

I sense your pride in him, and I say you have every right to feel that way.

My hat is off to him, and to those like him.

T

Terrific

Robertlouis's picture

…and intriguing start, leaving this reader thirsting for more. As you say, the possibility of trans content is almost immaterial as the premise is so good and the quality of your writing is simply outstanding. I’ve got so much to catch up on and I’m savouring the prospect.

☠️