The Black Sword. chapter- 7

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 7
Tower of Sagas, Avalon

“Are you sure David?” Dale asked him in a voice barely above a whisper. Unlike David and Katherine weaponry and armor were his field of study. Finding the method by which a Holy Sword is forged was the Holy Grail for him.

“David please tell me that this is a joke?” Katherine begged her husband.

“Trust me Kathy. This is not a joke. I cracked the ritual for forging a Holy Sword.” David told them honestly. “And this is some of the darkest, blackest, magic I have ever found. I’m talking shit that is straight out of Bakshishum’s Necronomicon.”

“Wait a second David. Are you saying that the Holy Swords are born of black or dark magic?” Dale asked him quietly.

“In more ways than one Dale. The only thing that is even remotely Holy in the construction of a Holy sword is Mithril. Even then that is debatable.” David told him honestly. Then unrolled the scroll he had hidden from view until now. “Not to mention it’s one of the most complex rituals imaginable.”

“Am I reading this correctly? The only person who can work a forge with these materials is an Artificer.” Kathern gasped. “Obsidian, raw diamonds, iron ore, scale of a steel dragon, and moonbeam crystal. The only material that can be forged from this combination is adamant. Even then it’ll take an immensely powerful Fire elemental to melt everything down into a malleable substance.”

“Katherine what exactly is an Artificer?” Dale asked her.

“A mystical being of unbelievable magical power. They were a gift to the Four Season Courts of Gia. Four wonder smiths that were granted to them by the Goddess Gaia’s daughters, one for each of the of the Four Courts. Two males, two females. Each Court Artificer was granted a Forge. It was in these places of mystical power that some of the greatest artifacts, recovered from the past, were forged. It is said that an Artificer can produce what it would take a moral magic user a lifetime in one week. The mythical dwarf artisans of the Gray Mountains only dream of competing with an Artificer.” Katherine explained for the two men. “With the exception of the steel dragon scale this list of ingredients is rather commonplace. All of it is easy to come by. It is the forging process that turns it into adamant steel that requires great power. Even then none of what is needed is even close to being dark or black magic on its own.”

“Keep reading love. To begin the forging process, you need a mystical forge. Not just any mystical forge, but an Artificer’s Forge. Then there is the runes. As you know each Holy Sword has runes carved into the blade. From what I gather this happens after the blade had been normalized and sanded. Then the runes are filled with either thirty ounces of Blood Steel, mercury crystal, or mithril. In the case of three swords all three mystical metals were used.” David told them as he pointed to the relevant passages in the scroll.

“Sorry partner, but with the exception of the Blood Steel still not seeing the deep dark evil here. Even the Blood Steel is more of a gray art according to my research.” Dale told him honestly. “Even then there are more than few of these so-called sagas around here that would argue that.”

“Do you know what is used to quench and harden a sword made from adamant?” David asked them. “Blood drained from a virgin Dale. Not just any virgin’s blood can be used for a Holy Sword. You need to find a virgin whose soul has been corrupted in personal combat. It is this last step that imparts the last and most important of all elements for the construction of a Holy Sword. A human soul.”

“Blood and death magic.” Katherine gasped then read the spell at the end of the scroll. “By the Gods of Chaos and Law. This spell is supposed to be nothing more than legend. A fable used to scare children into behaving.”

“What exactly is this spell Kathy?” David asked her. “Because it sure as hell isn’t any type of alchemy that I can find.”

“I agree with Dave on this Kathy. We’ve well established that magic and alchemy are two very different studies. One is the parlance of the poet, the other takes the mind of a scientist.” Dale told her honestly.

“That’s because this spell is the darkest blending of magic and alchemy. Only a true Artificer can use this type spell.” Katherine told them then lower her voice to a whisper. “And not go half-crazed.”

“Katherine exactly what is this spell?” Dale asked her.

“The magic is known as Necrotic Conjuring. The name of the spell is Corruption of the Manifested Soul. Just to summon the power for casting this spell would take weeks for an immortal. For someone like me it would take months of prep work then another sixteen magic users to even attempt the casting.” Katherine told them both. Then sighed. “The dangerous part would be the binding of the soul to the sword.”

“Why is that?” Dale asked her.

“If the soul being bound isn’t a virgin that hasn’t been corrupted by combat then any corrupted soul will become bound to the sword.” Katherine told him then sighed when Dale failed to grasp the danger. “Dale nine out of ten times the only souls willing to become bound to a sword are evil. I’m talking about murders, rapists, and any other soul headed for hell.”

“Oh shit. That explains why there are so few true Holy Swords.” Dale exclaimed then got a thoughtful look on his face. “That doesn’t explained Excalibur or Stormbringer Katherine. I know that the gods forged both of those swords.”

“Not quite Dale. According to my research Excalibur along with its five brethren were forged by the four Artificers of the Gia’s Courts. They were forged as gifts for the human servants of the Four Season Courts. The only exception is Stormbringer. It was forged by God and wielded by his First Angel Lucifer.” Katherine said correcting him. “At least according to the few legends that I was able to find.”

“Katherine this spell. Can anyone preform it?” David asked her.

“No thank the gods. Like I said the only person who could pull this spell off with any accuracy is an Artificer. Why?” She her husband.

“Because I won’t put it pass Grand Marshall Dame Eleanor to push for the construction of Holy Swords. She has dreams of conquering this whole island in the name of Queen Morgana Le Fey.” David told them both honestly.

“What do you know that we don’t David?” Dale asked him.

“I had drinks with Sir Bertilak the other night. I got the full breakdown on the political situation. There are several political factions trying to gain control around here. Within the Gray Wolf Knights there are two separate political groups. On one side led by Dame Eleanor we have the Crusaders. They’re the ones bent on ruling this island through the old might makes right ideology. On the other side of the table, we got the Wardens led by Dame Matilda the Ghost. Whose sole purpose is to defend the human race, the city, and castle of Avalon.” David told them as he pointed at Katherine. “Until your arrival they were pretty much deadlocked.”

“Why do I have a feeling this is all about the Return of the Emerald Queen.” Katherine sighed. “Every time I turn around one of those two bitches have been hounding me to take the throne. It doesn’t matter that I’m not their Emerald Queen.”

“Oh, it is worse than that Katherine. Remember that conversation we had shortly after Morgan and the boys left.” When Katherine nodded her David continued. “Our friend Grand Mistress Silver Labyrinth underplayed her part in the local politics.”

“How bad did she underplay her role around her David?” Katherine snarled.

“Grand Master Grahone only thinks he’s the leader for the order. That bitch is the real power for Oder of the Bear. She is also the one that has been pushing the Crusaders for conquering the rest of the island. She has a real honest hardon hate for not just the Winter Court and the Dark Aos Sídhe, but for all the Unseelie. The woman hides her face for a reason.” David told her. “She spent a quarter of her existence as a plaything for the current Winter Court Queen of the Dark Aos Sídhe.”

“Not surprising. The Dark Aos Sídhe were known for marking the faces of their slaves for pleasure and signs of ownerships.” Katherine snorted. “It’s the only way she could have learned as much as she knowns about the Dark Aos Sídhe.”

“Do you think she’ll go after Morgan and the boys?” Dale asked with concern.

“She knows to stay away from Morgan if she wants to continue breathing. I hate to say this about our daughter, but she can be a cold blooded killer at times. Especially thanks to that sword. The boys though are another story. I wouldn’t put it passed her to use them as leverage on us.” David told him.

“No, I doubt that she’ll be that up front with her plans. She’s spent time in the Winter Court. That means she’ll be more inclined to use misdirection. She’ll go after the boys sideways. Going after them directly would be like sending up a flare. If anything, she would use someone in the Winter Court to remove them as a threat.” Katherine told the two men then lowered her voice to a whisper. “If the legends are true. She could be loyal to the current Queen of the Winter Court.”

“What does that mean?” David asked her. “Remember you’re our expert on the mystical aspects for everything here.”

“According to some of the darker legends certain members the Winter Court have a certain spell. One that turns a rebellious slave into the perfect loyal servant. One willing to kill or die for their owner. The spell twists the soul of a person. I’ve only come across three references in all of my research. They all speak of the same spell but call it separate names. Though the ancient Greek Priests of Delphi had a name for it O thánatos tis kyriarchías tis psychís. Roughly translated it means Death of the Soul Domination.” Katherine told them honestly as she shivered.

“The ancient Delphi Priests had the name wrong, Lady Katherine. The spell of enslavement is call Forever Enslaved to the Vampiric Shadow.” Her mask muffled voice drew their attention as Silver Labyrinth stepped around the end of a bookshelf. She reached up and removed her mask for the first time in their presence. The whole left side of her face was covered by an intricate tattoo. “Contrary to popular rumor I was never a slave to the Courts. I was one of their guests. To gain that privilege I was given the Mark of Enhanced Honor. The only part of my body it does not cover is the right side of my face. Before I die it will cover all of me.”

“The coldest and harshest of honors. One that comes with a great cost. How long has it been since it was applied?” Katherine asked her kindly.

“The last of my family was buried six centuries ago.” Silver answered sadly. “I was still a guest of the Courts at the time. Back then it only covered the back of my left hand. When I left the Courts it slowly began to cover first my arm then slowly my body and face.”

“How long ago was that?” David asked her.

“That was three centuries ago Lord David. By my reconning I have one-hundred-and fifty years left before I see my final sunrise.” Silver answered honestly. “And in my lifetime I have seen only one Artificer. She was nothing more than a soulless slave bound forever to her forge.”

“How much of our conversation did you overhear?” Dale asked her.

“Enough to know that sooner or later Lady Katherine will have to take her place on the Emerald Throne. Your students, son, and their daughter are crossing through the Mist as we speak. You have found the one map I went out of my way to hide. Lord Dave has somehow found the dark secret behind the forging of Holy Swords.” She answered him honestly. “And to hear you accuse me of being a spy for the Aos Sídhe.”

“You’ll have to forgive us Mistress Silver, but where we come from. We have an old saying. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.” David told her honestly. “Your knowledge of the Aos Sídhe fits that saying. It’s almost too good to be true. There must be taken with some doubt.”

“Understandable. If I were in your place. I too would question my motives.” Silver sighed. “I do wish that were not the situation.”

“My question is why do you want Katherine to take the throne so badly?” Dale asked.

“There are two ancient and legendary prophecies concerning the return of Queen Morgana Le Fay. The first concerns the Emerald Throne and the Promise Stone. When the time comes that the moon turns blue, the promise stone shines, a woman clad in blue shall bring about a blessed age and a change of leadership. With the death of the Lionheart King the Dragonkin shall return their Empress to her Ruby Throne. The night before you arrived on the island the moon was blue. Since the you arrived the Promise Stone has continued to shine with an otherworldly light. Lady Katherine rode through the gates of Avalon dressed in blue. All the signs were there marking her as the return of Morgana Le Fay.” Silver told them with a small smile. “This is the legend that I have hoped to be fulfilled in my lifetime. As it would mean peace for the whole island not just Avalon.”

“What is the other legend Lady Silver? The one that you fear.” Katherine asked her.

“It shall be on the clearest of days that lightning strikes twice times three, a woman clad in blue shall usher forth a new Eternal Champion. What was once shrouded is revealed, a broken bone shall cause the fall of the rich and an age of warlords.” Silver told her as she pointed towards Katherine again. “The day Lady Katherine arrived the skies were clear. Lightning struck in three places twice. She arrived in the company of the newest Eternal Champion. We have another name for the Eternal Mist that surrounds the island. The Bones of Lost Memory.”

“Which we broke when we arrived. Just fucking great.” Dale sighed.

“Now you see and understand my worry. The signs show that both prophecies are being fulfilled at the same time. One leds towards peace. The other path holds nothing but war and devastation for the people of Avalon.” Silver told them bluntly. “By that I mean all the people of Avalon. Both human and Aos Sídhe.”

“You’ve been pushing me to take the throne to prevent a war on a massive scale. Because you know that Author is dead and not returning.” Katherine gasped. “When did you learn of the deception Mistress Silver?”

“It was during my time in the Fall Court. This was a little more than five-hundred years after the second prophecy was revealed. One of their Knights led me deep into the mountains. The Knight led me to a cave behind a waterfall. Deep in the heart of the cave I found Author and his knights. All of them encased in a magically charged crystal. All of them dead. Each impaled with their own swords through the heart. The cave stank with the power of the darkest of magics.” Silver sighed as she knew that what she was telling them could bring down the kingdom of Avalon. “No matter what happens this information must never get out.”

“You have our word that no one know will learn of this from us, Lady Silver.” Dale swore. “This dark magic you spoke of do you know the name or type of magic?”

“It is an extremely rare type of human magic known as Shadow Death Necromancy. The exact spell is rare and known only to a few sorcerers of the art. Merlin being one of the few known practitioners of the art chronicled most of those spells. I was able to find the spell in his grimoire for the Principles of Darkness and Shadows. It had an unpronounceable name written in a dead language but did have a description of the effects.” She told him. “It creates a magical barrier that prevents teleportation and other magically enhanced forms of travel. While turning the victim’s own weapon against them for the killing blow once they are immobilized.”

“That sounds more like a spell for self-defense than dark magic.” David grunted.

“Only dark magic mage will take a life on purpose Master David. Especially when there is no longer a threat. Those of us who practice light magic will only take a life as a last resort. Death Magic of any type comes with a heavy price. To use this particular spell the user must be willing to surrender part of their magical essence for the rest of their life.” Silver told him bluntly. “Not even the Winter and Fall Court mages attempt to use magic with that heavy of a price.”

“You said that they surrender part of the magical essence. What exactly does that mean?” Dale asked her bluntly.

“It means exactly what it sounds like Master Dale. They surrender part of their magical essence. Essence comes from a person’s soul. While the soul is infinite it can still be damaged beyond repair.” Silver told him sadly. “It is said that those who practice Shadow Death Necromancy can live for centuries but when they die. They die the cruelest and most painful of deaths.”

“Who could have cast the spell on Author and his knights?” Katherine asked her.

“There were several mages in the Camelot era that could have cast the spell. His bastard son Mordred, his half-sister Elaine of Garlot, and her daughter Elaine the younger. All three were powerful Shadow Death Necromancers.” Silver told her but remained thoughtful. “Though there was only one that was powerful enough to cast that spell and still live, Merlin’s stepsister Princess Maudlin.”

“I thought Merlin had no siblings. In all of the legends I’ve found there was never any mention of Merlin having family other than parents.” David blurted out.

“Merlin lists his family in the Avalon Chronicles of Heraldry.” Silver told them as she waved her hand over the table. After a flow of mystical power an eight-inch thick book appeared on the table. On the cover of the leather bound book was the royal coat of arms for Avalon. Silver quickly opened the book and flipped through the pages. When she stopped it was three quarters of the way through the book. Here the page borders changed from gold leafing with blue accents to a purple accent. “From here on are the coat of arms for every magic user that is known to us.”

“By the gods. There must be over three hundred coats of arms here.” Katherine gasped in total amazement as she placed her hand on the book.

“Three hundred and sixty-three to be exact, Lady Katherine. This is also the only book in the library that magically updates itself.” With another wave of her hand the book opened to gilded page. There before their eyes was Merlin’s family coat of arms. Silver turned the page to show the next page. There was in handwritten script was Merlin’s family tree. A red line was drawn between Merlin’s father and Queen Tibb with a second line drawn downward to the name of Princess Maudlin. There were two other red lines leading away from Merlin’s father. With three more descending lines from those two names. Two were the names of men and one more woman.

“As you can see. Merlin’s father was no paragon of virtue. He was if any thing a randy goat that would bed any woman of noble birth. In many ways he was as bad as Author himself.” Silver snorted then wave her hand again. “Here are the two newest coat of arms to have been added to book.”

The book had turned to the second from the last page. There before their eyes was a coat of arms that had never been seen before in the history of Avalon. It was an exact copy of Katherine’s family coat of arms.

A great shield with a symmetrical pointed top and an asymmetrical upwards curving bottom is supported on the back of a red dragon. All of which rests on a field of wheat. A fairly small crown, or coronet, rests atop the shield, it’s a crown of fleurs-de-lis and a modest amount of different gems decorate the outer sides.

On top of the coronet sat a Coventry sallet helm, which itself supports the crest, in this case an ornamented red dragon. The coronet and crest are decoratively bound by a roll of fabric, or torse, which carries the main colors used on the shield. Lastly, tied to the helmet is a fairly small drapery, or mantling, in the shape of large flowers and colored in the main colors, just like the torse.

The shield itself had two colors that were are painted in a blue and yellow checkered pattern. There were three footprints serving as the emblem, or charge, and a modest ribbon, positioned just below the supporters, carries Katherine’s family motto, which reads ‘Friends, family, fatherland.’

“That’s my family crest and coat of arms. How can it even be there?” She gasped.

“As I said this book is magically updated with each new mage’s or knight’s family coat or arms.” As if to prove her point she flipped to the last page. There before their eyes was another coat of arms.

There was a large circular shield with a set of eight black arrows radiating outward from the center on a red background. Dead center of the eight arrows was a snarling white wolf’s head. On top of the shield was a black dragon helm topped with a gold coronet with a ruby in the center. On each side of the shield stood a rune etched black bastard sword. The depicted swords could have been the identical twins of the bastard sword that graced Morgan’s left hip, Stormbringer. At the four points of the compass were the signs for the four Great Elemental Kings.

The shield rested on the back of a black dragon between its raised wings. Below the dragon was a stone table supported by two more black dragons setting on their hind legs facing each other. The two dragons were breathing flames that met halfway. Between their talons hung a modest ribbon. Across the was an unfamiliar family motto. ‘What we once were, we shall be once more.’

“This is the newest coat of arms and the reason that prompted me to seek you out. By all rights, this coat of arms should only have been entered once in the Book of Heraldry.” Silver waved her hand over the book and pages flipped back to the last page of knights. There was the same coat of arms. Only here the goldleaf border was accented with red and blue. Silver put her index finger on the border. “This border is only used for marking the coat of arms for a Champion.”

“There is only one new Champion in Avalon. My daughter Morgan.” Katherine sighed.

“She is more than just a Champion. She is the newest Eternal Champion. And this.” Silver told her as she put her finger on the wolf head. “Means she is the White Wolf of Melniboné. Their next Empress.”

“Oh shit!” David grunted as he flipped back to the last page of the book. “If this coat of arms in both the knights section and the mage users section.”

“Then your daughter is the more than just the next Eternal Champion, Dave. She is a strategic weapon of mass destruction.” Dale grunted. “I’m talking Hiroshima.”

“I do not know of this Hiroshima or what a weapon of mass destruction is, Master Dale. What I do know of is the power behind the Ruby Throne Emperors and Empresses. Should she gain one of the Great Seals either the Ring of Kings or Queen’s Tiara. She will be able to call upon the very Gods of the Elementals.” Silver told them. “The power at her command will surpass even the greatest of recorded mages.”

“Mistress Silver you said should she gain one of the Great Seals. Do you know where these Great Seals were last found?” Katherine asked her.

“The only place they have ever been.” Silver answered honestly as she put her finger on a point of land jutting out into the ocean at the far end of the island. “The lost Empyreal city of Imrryr, the Dreaming City.”

“Oh shit!” Katherine, David, and Dale all said at the same time.

“Lady Katherine please tell me that your Champion is not headed there?” Silver begged. Then sighed as she saw the three nodding heads. “Are her friends with her?”

“All four of them are together, Lady Silver.” David told her then grunted. “And they should be somewhere deep within these mountains.”

“Those are what we call the Dragon’s Spine Mountains. I wish you had asked me before you sent them. No one who has entered those mountains has ever returned. The only ones that we know that can travel safely through them are the Aos Sídhe.” Silver told them with a shake of her shoulders. “The Bears and Wolves have sent several armies into those mountains over the centuries.”

“Then how did you get back?” Dale asked her.

“I did what was thought to be impossible.” Silver giggled behind her mask. “I rode the back of a Melnibonéan dragon.”

“You’ve been to the Dreaming City?” Katherine asked with stunned disbelief. “How?”

“It is not a journey for those of weak will or faint of heart. From either Angelward in the east or Frosthorn in the west. You take a small boat no bigger than a ten-man longboat. As you approach the Seagate to the harbor of Imrryr you have to watch for the twin markers or risk rounding aground on the Dragon’s Teeth. After passing through the Seagate, you then have to navigate the Sea Maze. There are an uncounted number of shipwrecks in that underground hell escape. Even then the inland approach has its own dangers. You must travel inland for two days deep into the Dragon Spine mountains before turning north towards the cliffside Imrryr. There you have to work your way down a single road towards the rear gate of the city. If you manage to get that far you now face the Guardian. A sixty-foot tall Golem.” Silver told them.

“Why do I have a feeling that the only way pass that monster is to be either Melnibonéan or know a special spell?” David asked.

“According to all of the ancient texts that I have found both here and in the Four Courts that is the only way pass. Though it is not a spell but the name of the Golem’s master.” Silver told him honestly.

“Which our students do not know. Does anyone know the master’s name?” David asked.

“Not since the time of the Melnibonéans has anyone heard the name of the Golem’s master. I had to climb down the cliff face behind the city to reach the dragon caves. It took me a full day to scale down that cliff face. Another three days of searching to find the caves. Five weeks to awaken just one of the dragons. Then another six weeks of negotiating with the beast. Before he finally agreed to fly me over the mountains and the mist.” Silver told them with a soft chuckle. “It cost me four cows and six casks of ale.”

“Wait you actually talked with a dragon?” Katherine gasped. “The legends in our world say that only the oldest of dragons can talk.”

“Not true Lady Katherine. Even the youngsters can speak. Though not until their fiftieth year or so.” Silver told her honestly. “Though the dragons of Melniboné are by all rights should be considered a separate breed of dragon.”

“A separate breed of dragon. How are they deferent from other dragons?” David asked.

“According to legend they are the ancestors of the ancient Melnibonéans. They shared a common language. If my beliefs concerning your daughter are true Lady Katherine. She will return on the back of one of those great beasts. It is my firm belief that she is the White Wolf of Melniboné and the last of her kind.” Silver told them with all honesty. “And she will bring back her long dead race.”

“How can that happen?” Dale snorted. “It’s not like she could wave her hand and chant a spell for bring the dead back to life.”

“If what I believe will happen. Then that is exactly what she’ll do Master Dale. Remember the last line of the first prophecy.” Silver told him then quoted the line again. “With the death of the Lionheart King the Dragonkin shall return their Empress to her Ruby Throne.”

“Oh SHIT!” Dale gasped. “Author and his knights are dead. Morgan is the spitting image for the daughter of the last Emperor of Melniboné. She would by all rights be their newest Empress. Why do I suddenly have the feeling that the Melnibonéans are about to return from the mists of time?”

“Because both prophecies are coming true.” Silver told him bluntly. “I only hope that Dame Morgan reaches Imrryr unmolested. Because should she be attacked before then. Dame Morgan may well come into her full power before her time. Power that she’ll have no way of controlling.”

“What type of power are we talking about Silver?” David asked with father’s concern for his daughter.

“All of the Melnibonéans were naturally gifted and powerful magic users in their own right. Even their common people were more powerful than even the Aos Sídhe Queens.” Silver told them. “Like you I was once a seeker of knowledge. My travels took me to the Four Courts of Aos Sídhe. There I learned a great many legends concerning the time of the last Great War of Balance. One of those legends concerns what happened to the race known to us as the Melnibonéans.”

“Legend or prophecy Mistress Silver?” Katherine asked her.

“In a way I would say legend. I do not hold much faith in the Gods.” Silver told her with a soft chuckle. “Like you I am an academic.”

“What is this legend anyway?” Dale asked.

“The Aos Sídhe believe that their patron Arioch is one of the most powerful of the Dukes of Hell summoned the last remaining Melnibonéans back to Imrryr. Once he had gathered the last of his followers. He led them deep into the heart of the caves below ruined Imrryr. There he did pull out his own frozen heart and cast it among them. Where it did shatter freezing his followers in a tomb of clearest crystal. When their Empress returns and claims her tiara. Their crystal prison will shatter and release them to serve their new Empress.” When Silver finished telling them the legend of the crystal prison all three professors looked at each other.

“That sounds an awful lot like the spell that first imprisoned then killed King Author and his Knights. Only without killing them.” Katherine pointed out.

“It does but we are talking about a patron god here, Katherine. If a being that powerful willing sacrificed their heart to save his followers. Then all bets are off. There is no telling what happened.” David told her bluntly. “But if I were to make an educated guess. I know that what I’m about to say is going to sound crazy. I would say that Arioch used a separate type of spell to place the Melnibonéans in some sort of cryogenic slumber.”

“I normally wouldn’t go that far Dave, but this is one time I think we need to set aside what we consider normal.” Looking around the library Dale sighed. “In many ways the classical science fiction and fantasy authors should be our guides.”

“We know that you have been the last one to climb on board the fantasy train Dale. For you to say something like that means you know something we don’t.” Katherine snorted. “What happened to change your mind?”

“This map change my mind.” Dale snorted as he put his hand on the map. “If it hadn’t been found I would still be fighting Morgan’s and the boys’ theory.”

“Master Dale that map is not to scale. When the map was draw they used a system of measurement called Legs for distances. Instead of the standard League. One Leg is equal to the length of two miles. The island is a full one third larger than the scale suggests.” Silver explained for the three.

“Holy shit. If that is the case. Then there is no way in hell we’re still on our earth. We have to be in a parrel universe.” David grunted. “Damned if the boys weren’t right about this theory.”

“Don’t go giving the boys all the credit David.” Katherine harrumphed. “I do believe that it was Morgan who first proposed the theory.”

“Peace Lady Katherine. I believe, I know the reason for why Dame Morgan has more insight in our world. It is because of her sword and her race.” Silver told them hoping to ease the tension between the three outworlders. “The Melnibonéans have always been magically linked to this island. Though they are not the only ones. The Children of Oberon and Titania are also linked to this island. They are always drawn back to the island of their birth. Such is the fate for all those who are tied to the Emerald Queen Morgana Le Fay.”

-----tbc-----

up
279 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice

I can’t wait until we switch back to Morgan.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

2 prophesies

one of destruction, one of rebirth.

wow . . .

DogSig.png

Amazing

How you manage to shift between stories astounds me.
Look forward to more of the Eleven Question.
Thank you for the stories.

Welp, everything's fracked

Beoca's picture

Welp, everything's fracked beyond recognition. Sounds about right.

Who gets to flip the coin?

Jamie Lee's picture

Silver sure unloaded a bunch of information, leading to both a scary and happy conclusion. Providing Morgan does or doesn't gain a seal. Providing Morgan does not or does come under attack and realizes her full power before she's ready. And, if Kathy does or does not become the Emerald Queen.

What a mell of a hess. Damed if they do, and damned if they don't. Wonder who gets to flip the coin to decide how everything plays out? Murphy?

Others have feelings too.