The Black Sword. chapter- 16

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 16
The Clearing of Challenges.

“Then let the Fates have you Queen Dalilah. May they show mercy upon your people as you lie dying on this field.” Vladislava snorted as she reenforced the magical shield surrounding the Avalon party. Vladislava wanted them to witness the downfall of the Aos Sídhe Courts. Especially Tobin the Troll Slayer. For he would carry her legend to the common people of this world, and she would not be lost to the sands of time. Taking a deep breath Vladislava called out. “By Ash, Oak, and Hawthorn I stand witness to this battle of wills. Let none interfere upon penalty of death.”

When the four Queens and Morgan looked at her Vladislava raised her right arm. She waited until all five had acknowledged her with a nod of their head. When Morgan finally nodded Vladislava took a deep breath and dropped her arm. “BEGIN!”

Unseen or felt by those around her Vladislava poured the last of her magic into the magical shield that protected the Avalon party. She had seen the outcome of this battle long before it would ever take place. She had seen her own death on this very field at the hands of the White Wolf. After several centuries of living a lonely life, it was a death that she was truly looking forward to. With this final act of magic Vladislava sighed and fell to her knees. “It is done.”

As Vladislava whispered her last words Morgan charged the four Aos Sídhe Queens. The Queens knew that this was their last chance to stop the Melnibonéans and their Queen. As one they hurtled the first of their magical attacks at the young woman.

Queen Dalilah wasted no time or power with her attack. She called upon one of the deadliest spells in her arsenal. The Seal of Burning Souls was one spell that only the most desperate of mages would use. It kills in the most horrible of ways. The spell creates a massive wave of dark energy that strips away the soul of the target and burns the target with an inferno of black flames. The effect is almost instantaneous once the target is struck by the energy wave.

Not to be out done by the youngest of their number Queen Finnea unleashed her own attack. As the wave of dark energy lashed out at Morgan. Finnea’s spell sent four blood red bolts of light straight towards the Melnibonéan Queen. Only Finnea knew the name of her spell. Not that I mattered to all those who saw the spell. They could tell that the spell was created to kill its target slowly and painfully.

Queen Sumina’s spell called down a barrage of purple lightning. The enter area where Morgan had stood just moments before was charred with thousands and thousands of volts of dark magic lightning. That whole area of the clearing was turned to ash. Nothing lived through the attack. Not even the grass.

Of the four Aos Sídhe Queens only Vaeri held back. She knew that this battle would not be decided in the opening seconds. It would be one of attrition. She would try to use the Melnibonéan Queen’s own magic against her. The Disturbance of Hysteria was an area effect spell that caused its target to lose all focus. Leaving them unable to attack the spell caster with magic and open to physical attacks.

Even as their Queens entered into battle with the Morgan. The knights of the Four Aos Sídhe Courts charged the field. The two hundred knights had one objective, the Avalon party. Their orders were to capture the Emerald Queen at all costs. They would never reach her or the Avalon party. For even as they left their place at the edge of the clearing the Dragon Knights of Melniboné were dropping from their mounts. Thanks to the help of Lady Lisa each had been gifted with a magical cape that allowed to glide gracefully to the ground.

As the Dragon Knights touched ground, they were ready for battle. The two sets of knights clashed with the ringing of cold steel and bloody howls of rage. Among the Dragon Knights were Lee, Tony, Mike, and Lisa. The four friends knew that Morgan was counting on them to buy her time. Time to put an end to the threat of the Aos Sídhe Queens. When they first flew from Shining Imrryr there was only twenty-one dragons and riders. By the time they were over the Clearing of Challenges their number had grown to twenty-five.

Originally Morgan had planned for her friends to attack the Aos Sídhe cities while she delt with the Queens. When Lee told Mike, and Tony the plan the two veterans vetoed the idea. Instead they turned the attacks on the enemy cities over to their counterparts in the Melniboné military. Even as the battle between the Queens opened both the Melnibonéan Navy and Army were classing into the ports of both Aos Sídhe cities. While the Marines and Army were clashing with the port defenders one-hundred Dragon Knights and almost the full complement of dragons were attacking the tower defenses. In the forests surrounding the two cities Princess Cymorila led her Rangers in devastating attacks against the outer patrols. The full military might of the ancient Empire had been unleashed onto the two cities.

Even as the Aos Sídhe Queens were launching their attacks against Morgan the young Melnibonéan Queen was counterattacking. Morgan saw their attacks for what they were. A deadly attempt at stopping her before Morgan could close to melee range. Much to her surprise the Seal of Burning Souls spell reached Morgan’s armor and Stormbringer were absorbing the powerful spell.

“Ah such a delicious snack to begin the fight.” Stormbringer’s voice in her head was all Morgan needed to hear to understand what happened to the spell. “A full quarter of a soul at one time. How delightful.”

“You know something Stormbringer. There are times that you scare the shit out of me. Then there are times like this. If you had a physical form, I would give you a hug right now. Though what’s up with my armor?” Morgan chuckled as she dived to side avoiding the four blood red bolts of light of the next spell.

“Your armor has taken on your personality. It is a magical trait found in all Dragon Armor. The more your wear it, the more it shall change. Though in your case I doubt it shall change much more.” Said the ghostly voice in Morgan’s head.

“How do you figure that?” Morgan asked as she stop one of the purple lightning bolts with the flat of Stormbringer. At that moment Morgan’s rage peeked. “DAMN YOUR EYES BITCH! YOUR SOUL WILL FEED MY BLADE!”

“Such power! I want more! Please feed me more my Queen!” Stormbringer cooed.

“You want more you shall have more.” Morgan snarled as the power of the two spells flowed into her. Without thought Morgan called on the Elemental Earth King Grome. “Gaavvavaha Grome nuthulula la veeenha neua toe seeth yeas cavvenay.”

Even as she spoke them, Morgan she felt the ancient words burn her throat. Morgan felt the magic of the ancient pact slam home as the Actorios Stone, also known as the Dragon Stone, set in the Ring of Kings on Morgan’s right hand glowed. Morgan knew that Actorios Stone set in her tiara was also glowing. For the first time sense dawning the two Great Seals Morgan drew upon their full power.

Before her eyes two massive earth elementals rose up. One on each side of the four Queens. While the two massive creatures distracted two of them the other two continued their attacks on her. To counteract their attacks Morgan called on the Elemental King of Fire, Kakatal.

“Gaavvavaha Kakatal nuthulula la veeenha neua toe seeth yeas cavvenay.” Even as the last word burned in her throat a massive fire elemental appeared to block the attacks by the two Aos Sídhe Queens. Then in one last push of her magic Morgan called on the Wind Elemental King Lasshaar.

“Gaavvavaha Lasshar nuthulula la veeenha neua toe seeth yeas cavvenay.” As the winds picked up with the forming of the wind elemental Morgan closed the distance between her and the four Queens. With a howling Stormbringer held high over her head the whole way. “BLOOD AND SOULS! HEAR ME ARIOCH! GRANT ME POWER FOR THE BLOOD AND SOULS OF MY ENEMIES!”

All across the battlefield her war cry was taken up by the Melnibonéans. Though they were outnumbered by more than eight to one. The Dragon Knights of Melniboné were pushing the Aos Sídhe Knights back. For each Dragon Knight that fell they took ten of their enemy with them. Lee, Tony, Mike, and Lisa led not the charge but the killing as well. Blood flowed around the four friends as if it was water. Unbeknownst to them their bloodlust was being fueled by Morgan’s own rage induced bloodlust. Behind the protective barrier Katherine looked over a David and Dale.

“I have a feeling that this battle will only end in one way.” Katherine sighed as she smoked her pipe in peaceful contemplation. Looking out at the prone form of Princess Vladislava Katherine exhaled slowly in thought. “Sir Tobin you are a Bard of some renowned. Do you know of any ballads concerning Princess Vladislava?”

“No my Queen. In all of Avalon’s long history there has never been any mention of her name. Though there are a few about the Other Soul oracle.” Tobin told her thoughtfully. “In one of them the oracle is described as a Daywalker. Could Princess Vladislava be the oracle of legend?”

“I believe so. No matter what happens this day. I want you to remember her sacrifice. If not for her magic, I am positive that we would already be dead.” Katherine ordered him as a of wild magic slammed against the barrier. “She gave the last of her magic to protect us. I do not want her to be forgotten.”

“She shall be remembered in song for all time, my Queen.” Tobin told her with a small bow from the waist. “This I swear on my honor.”

At first Katherine and David was going to lend their magic to the battle between the four Queens and their daughter. Then to their surprise twenty Aos Sídhe knights broke off from the fight with the Melnibonéans. As they turned their attention to the threat presented by these twenty knights a new presented itself. From behind them came the sounds of a thousand howling voices and crashing armored feet. Katherine, David, and Dale knew that their chances against such a massive force was slim to none. Then to their surprise the one element of the Melnibonéan force that had until now stay out of the fight attacked.

In ancient times, before the last great rest of balance the dragons of the mythical island had both protect it and enforced its rule. As they flew over the heads of the Aos Sídhe Infantrymen they unleashed their most fear weapon. Their flaming breath burned everything it touched. Men, armor, swords, nothing could within stand the hellish dragons’ breath. In its passing even the very ground turned to glass. The dragons did not stop with just the knights in the open. They continued on to the woods destroying everything in their anger.

“By the Goddess!” Bertilak gasped. “The legends hold nothing on the truth.”

“I believe that you’ll find most legends only hold part of the truth Sir Bertilak.” Dale told the green knight with a small chuckle. “Not even your legend holds the full truth of your life. Yet to this day in our old world they say sign songs of the Green Knight that could only be slain by the most virtuous of warriors.”

In the center of the clearing Morgan was finally able to push her way through the ten Aos Sídhe knights that had broke off to stop her. On the ground behind lay the ten dead knights. She was covered in both blood and guts. Then to her amazement the four Queens were able to banish the elementals she had summoned with a powerful bust of magic. So powerful that the force of it throw her back almost ten yards. As she staggered back to her feet Morgan snarled. “Make no mistake. I will feed your souls to Stormbringer, bitches.”

“You are a fool youngling. Surrender now and we shall show your people mercy.” Vaeri shouted as she pulled in her magic for another attack.

“You really are deluded false Queen Vaeri of the Summer court.” Morgan snorted then chuckled at the look of surprise that crossed the woman’s face. “Oh yes. I know who all of you are. Your belief that your magic would keep your names from was false. I know each of your names as surely as I know my own.”

“They will do you no good demon whore. You may know our public names, but not our true names.” Dalilah screamed before unleashing her next magical attack. As the red bolts of light shoot from her hands Morgan raised Stormbringer contemptuously. As the magical bolts struck Stormbringer moaned with sexual ecstasy. Much to the four Queens surprise so did Morgan as the power flowed into her. Seeing this they slowly began to realize just how outclassed they true were.

“If you truly believe that Queen Dalilah. Then I will be my pleasure to school you in the true ways of power.” Morgan chuckled as she sent a ball of blinding white magical fire towards them. As her magic reached the four Queens it exploded. Only Katherine, David, and Dale knew what Morgan had sent towards their mutual enemy. As the white phosphorous spread out is burned everything it touched. The only thing that saved the Aos Sídhe Queens was their combined magic shield.

As they stood there looking at scorched ground surrounding them Finnea voiced their thoughts. “We will die here this day.”

“Do not lose heart sisters. We can still prevail. Even now my army marches towards the forbidden city.” Dalilah snarled.

“As does mine.” Sumina snarled as she began to work her next spell. A spell that would never be cast as at the moment in time her life ended. Not in a glorious battle as she expected. No it would be thanks to something she had not planned on. As the last of her magic flowed into her spell so did her life force. With not enough magic to power the spell it feed on her very life force. Even then the spell failed. Queen Sumina’s life ended the way she had lived. Quietly, without fanfare.

Unknown to her or the other Aos Sídhe Queens. Morgan’s last spell was a two parter. The first was a disguise. The white phosphorous explosion was nothing more than the delivery device for a spell that would turn any magic against its welder. It was a spell thought to be forgotten to the sands of time. Only it was one of Morgan’s racial memories. The Curse of Oblivion did more than just turn a person’s magic against them. It devoured their very souls.

The sudden death of their fellow Queen was all the distraction Morgan needed. With the speed born from anger and desperation Morgan closed the distance between them. She sworn Stormbringer with all of her might severing the head of Queen Finnea. As the second queen’s soul filled Stormbringer Morgan felt a rush of power unlike any before. In all of her fights to point Morgan had never let the stolen vitality of Stormbringer’s victims overwhelm her control. This time she realized that it would be a battle of wills between her and the sword.

If she gave into the power Stormbringer would run out of control. If the sword ran wild nothing would survive. It would kill everything on the Clearing of Challenges. Only Morgan’s sense of self stood in the way. Then the unexpected happen to break the battle of wills tipping control in Morgan’s favor. Queen Dalilah unleashed one of the Unforgivable spells among the Aos Sídhe. Queen Veari gasped as Morgan flicked the spell aside with the flat of her sword. The spell now flew out of control to strike Princess Vladislava squarely in the chest. The dhampir died almost instantly. There was massive hole in the center of her torse where her heart would be. As her body turned to ash a smile of gratitude played across her lips.

“Now you die Queen Veari.” Morgan snarled as she brought Stormbringer down through the center of her head cleaving it in half. The micro edged sword sliced the ancient old Aos Sídhe Queen cleanly in half. Ending its bloody journey buried in the ground at Veari’s feet. As the woman’s soul filled Stormbringer Morgan’s lips curled into a cruel smile. With a contempt born of ancient racial memory Morgan turned to the last Aos Sídhe Queen. “Your magic is gone Dalilah. The knights that you and your fellow Queens brought with you are dead. Your hidden army lies in ashes.”

“I am not done.” Dalilah panted as she drew her sword. “I still have my sword.”

“An ordinary blade against my race’s great instrument of power. Are you fucking kidding me?” Morgan laughed. “Do you not realize just how stupid you have to be to challenge a Melnibonéan welding either Stormbringer or Mournblade? Even against a Melnibonéan of common birth you would stand no chance. Yet you are stupid enough that you want to challenge a Noblewoman of the race. Not just any Noblewoman but their rightful Queen. I got to give this much. You’re either fucking brave as hell or dumber than a box of rocks.”

“I will not yield demon bitch. Nor shall my people. We will not become your playthings again.” Dalilah snarled as she raised her sword. “You will have to destroy us completely. If you don’t. Then we shall raise up in revolt and drag you down. It may not be today. It may not be a decade from now. It may not even be in this century. But rest assured it shall come.”

“You truly are a fool Dalilah. Even now as we speak. My army, navy, and the rest of the rest of my dragon brethren are laying waist to the Aos Sídhe cities. You could have lived in peace with us. Something that I was more than willing to let happen. Instead you sent assassins to try and kill me in my own capital. That alone would have been grounds for me to destroy just your city, but you had to drag your fellow Aos Sídhe Queens into your folly.” Morgan told her sadly then before cackling like a mad woman. “You know something bitch.”

“What is that you, worthless whore?” Dalilah asked as she moved clockwise around the Melnibonéan Queen looking for an opening to attack. Unlike her sister Queens Dalilah knew how to use a sword. Her mother had made sure of that when she was but a child. To this day Dalilah still carried the scars of those lessons.

“It doesn’t matter what happens on this field. Whether we live or die it doesn’t matter. Before the sun rises over Frosthorn and Angelward. They shall lay in ruins. While the armies of both Avalon and Imrryr dived this island in two. There is something that you and the rest of your people have forgotten. Before the last great reset of balance during the time of Elric. Humans and Melnibonéans learned to live in peace. My ancestor even had a human wife for a time.” Morgan told the young Queen. Then she laughed. “You really should have taken the dhampir Princess’s offer. Now your only option is to die with honor.”

“You are the one who is going to die. WHORE!” Dalilah screamed as she lunged at Morgan swing her sword at her back for all she was worth. Only to have Morgan spin in place blocking her attack with ease.

“I should tell you now Dalilah. I was trained in how to use a sword long before I ever learned the art of magic. I am a warrior first and foremost.” Morgan parried Dalilah’s next four attacks with ease. Morgan was tempted to use the power of Stormbringer to end the fight. Yet for some reason she wanted to toy with the young Aos Sídhe for a bit longer. With a simple twist and flick of Stormbringer Dalilah found herself unarmed. As she staired down at her empty hand the young Aos Sídhe wondered where everything had gone. As if reading her mind Morgan chuckled.

“You made several mistakes young Queen of the Winter Court. I could spend all day listing your mistakes. Though I doubt you would learn anything new.” Morgan snorted before she cut Dalilah’s right cheek with Stormbringer. That small cut brought a scream of unimaginable pain from the young Queen. “Instead I think I will take my time. I will take your soul one small cut at time. Until you have nothing left.”

Across the clearing from where Morgan stood Mike, Tony, Lee, Lisa, and the remaining Dragon Knights were finishing off the last Aos Sídhe knights. Of the twenty Dragon Knights that had begun the battle only six remained standing. The rest lay dying on the battlefield. Each mortally wounded. The Melnibonéans didn’t go quietly into that great night that is death. They were in the company of two hundred Aos Sídhe knights, one thousand Aos Sídhe Infantry, and five hundred Aos Sídhe archers who had been hidden in the woods. Those fifteen hundred Aos Sídhe warriors never got a chance to enter the battle thanks to the dragons.

Katherine sighed and waved her hand dispelling the magical barrier. As it the sounds of Dalilah’s screams of fear and pain reached their ears. She along with the rest of the Avalon party had witnessed the battle between Morgan and the Four Queens. Now they stood witness to the torturous death of the final Aos Sídhe Queen. As Katherine watched her child slowly strip away the soul of the woman before her, she wondered what had happened to change Morgan so radically. David sensed her unease at the way Morgan was treating their enemy.

“She is still our child Kathy. What you see now is the darkness that she hid from the world as our son. Here in this place, in that body, she must rely on her callous nature to rule her people. Behind her on this very field are ten of her most valued knights. If she were to show even slightest trace of mercy. They would turn on her in the blink of an eye.” David told her quietly.

“Have faith in your daughter Katherine. She is the sum of your teachings. She may not be the son you raised. She is still a child of your teachings. She must be cruel at times as a ruler. She does not wish to be cruel because she takes pleasure in it for pleasure’s sake. She does it to prevent treachery against her and those she loves.” Dale told her as he pointed towards Morgan and Aos Sídhe. “She is doing this to drive home a point to her subjects.”

“I just hope that sword isn’t the one in control.” Katherine whispered.

“Fear not my Queen. Dame Morgan is still in control over her blade. It may be a living thing.” Bertilak told her as he stroked his battleax. “But she is made of sterner stuff than most I have faced. That blade will never control her.”

“Sir Bertilak speaks truth Majesty. Even during her early days she never let that cursed blade push her.” Tobin told her honestly.

“Only the week willed would let themselves be controlled by that blade your Majesty.” Helga chuckled. “And your daughter is no week willed simpleton.”

“I pray that you’re all right. Because I fear this new face of my daughter.” Katherine shivered as Morgan sliced a thin strip of skin from the Aos Sídhe.

“You know something Dalilah? I don’t think you have of a soul left.” Morgan sneered down at the bloody Aos Sídhe Queen. “It seems that I have take a larger and larger piece of flesh from you with each cut. That or Stormbringer is reaching her limit. After all she did feed on all that magic you and your sisters used at the beginning of our fight. Magic and souls are two different types of power.”

“Just finish me already demon.” Dalilah panted through the pain. She knew that her life was at an end. “Just don’t use that sword to finish me.”

“My Queen the Aos Sídhe are defeated.” Mike told Morgan as he and the other Melnibonéans approached her. As one the ten remaining members of her party kneeled behind her Morgan looked down at Dalilah. “Before you die Dalilah. I want you to look behind me. I arrived here with just twenty-four Dragon Knights. You came here with two hundred knights, a thousand foot, and five hundred archers. They were outnumbered in ways that I cannot even imagine. Yet they live while your people lay dead all across this blood-stained battlefield. If just twenty-four of my knights can do this. What do you think is happening to your cities?”

“Nothing is happening to our cities. No matter how powerful you think your army and navy are. They lack the strength to conquer our cities’ defenses.” Dalilah panted.

“You poor sad deluded little girl. Do you know the reason why we are called the Dragon Empire? It is not solely because of our heritage. It is because of our connection to the land. WE are the true masters of the Dragon Isle.” Morgan snarled. Then with a contempt only known to her Melnibonéan ancestors. Morgan ended Dalilah’s life. Even as she plunged Stormbringer into Dalilah’s heart. Morgan knew that there was very little left of the Aos Sídhe Queen’s soul. So little that Stormbringer whimpered in disappointment. Morgan looked down at the sword and snort with typical teenage distain. “Get over yourself already. How many souls do you want?”

Then to her surprise the ghostly figure that was Stormbringer appeared. “Even my hunger has its limits Mistress. Know this Mistress, even now the power that flows through you will over time dissipate. Until then use what I have given you wisely.”

Before Morgan could reply. Stormbringer vanished. Lee took that moment to voice the words on everyone’s mind. “Was that really her?”

“Yup. In the flesh. So to speak.” Morgan snorted looked down at the sword.

“My Queen what shall we do with the humans?” One of the dragon knights asked.

“Nothing.” Morgan told him then turned to her parents. “Hi mom. Hi dad. It’s been a while. What brings you out here?”

“Let’s see. What was it again? Oh yes.” Katherine sighed as she gave Morgan her number three mom glare. You know the one that says I’m not in the mood. “Trying to stop a war. Does that remind of you anything?”

“Oh that.” Morgan blushed. “Sorry about this mom. I really didn’t want a war. I actually wanted to avoid one.”

“But those four buffoons pushed the matter.” David sighed as he interrupted her. “I thought it was something like that Morgan.”

“The question I have is. What about their armies?” Dale asked. “They’re not going to just stand down. They’ll have to avenge their Queens.”

“Right about now Melniboné’s army and navy are making short work of their armies and navies.” Morgan told him honestly. “I also know that my Rangers are about to show this world their true power.”

The cities of Angelward and Frosthorn.

The armies of the Aos Sídhe kingdoms found that they were in a no-win situation. They were caught off guard as the four Golden Battle barges smashed their way through the port’s defenses. The sheer power of those massive ships was augmented by magical attacks. Attacks that were launch by the Rangers of Melniboné. There was one fact that had been lost to time about the Melnibonéan race. Their greatest magic users were their women. It was for this reason that their Rangers were all female.

The defenders of the Aos Sídhe cities had never faced attacks by actual elemental creatures. Water elementals reached out and grabbed hundreds of defenders to drowned them in their very bodies. Earth elementals crushed soldiers under their feet. Wind elementals ripped arrows from the sky and returned them to their archers with deadly accuracy. Fire elementals turned sage engines and battlements to ash. The two-hundred-fifty Rangers may have been the smallest force among the Melnibonéan attacking forces, but they caused the most carnage and damage. Only the Dragon Knights and their mounts caused more death and destruction.

As the armies of the two ancient Aos Sídhe strongholds fell to the might of the Melnibonéans. The civilians of those cities ran for the forest. There they would watch their cities torn down by the might of their ancient foe. They knew that their time in the sun was now over. They would wait until the sun finally set before trying to find their next Queens. Little did they know that within the first hours of the attack. Special teams of Rangers and Dragon Knights had captured the surveying members of the royal families.

When Morgan planned the attacks on the Aos Sídhe Kingdoms. She had consulted with her friends. She was surprised to learn that Lee and Lisa were able to add to the plan. Lee and Lisa were the ones to suggest the capture of the royal families. Mike and Tony were the ones to design the actual attacks on the cities. Between the four of them Morgan had a modern battleplan with medieval forces. A battleplan that left the Aos Sídhe lost in indecision. While Morgan and her friends cut the head of the snake. Her military tore the very heart out of the Aos Sídhe military.

The Clearing of Challenges.

“What have you done Morgan?” David asked her politely.

“I did what I have always done dad. I used everything in my power to solve a problem. These four bitches attacked my city. They threw the first punch in this fight.” Morgan snarled as she turned to look at her parents. “Just like the Gray Wolf Knights. Care to explain why I have seven of their number in my dungeons right now?”

“They’re not there because of my command, Morgan.” Katherine snarled in return before turning on her number one Mom Bitch mode. “And don’t take that attitude with me young lady. I’m still your mother.”

“Yes ma’am. I was just pulling your chain.” Morgan chuckled then turned serious. “I know that you didn’t send them. I only got one question. Is that bitch Dame Elenore still breathing?”

“Her head has a new residence. On top of a pike at the gate to Avalon castle.” Katherine told her with a chuckle. “As do the heads a few other members for the Gray Wolf Knights. Along with the heads of a few Masters for the Order of the Bear. I have been cleaning house. What about you?”

“I took care of that problem the first day.” Morgan told her then chuckled. “I should say Mike, Lee, Tony, and Lisa took care of that problem.”

“With a little boost from you, my Queen.” Lee corrected her.

“Is that you Lee?” Dale asked in shock.

“Um hi dad. I guess I’ve changed a little since the last time I saw you.” Lee said with a small smile.

“You can fucking say that again Lee. The last time I saw you, you were human and high school student. Now you’re Melnibonéan and a knight.” Dale snorted. Then he chuckled. “I would say that you’ve done pretty good for yourself.”

“Thanks dad. I can honestly say I never saw this coming.” Lee snarked as he waved at his body. “Though I’m not the only one.”

“You can say that again.” Mike mumbled. As Tony and Lisa nodded.

“I never thought that the three of boys would change so radically. If I had known this would happen. I would never have sent you to find Lisa. Speaking of Lisa. Did you find her?” David asked.

“Right here Professor.” Lisa said as she blushed while holding up her hand. At her confession all three Professors did a double take. “I kind of went through a few changes since we arrived here.”

“I’ll say, young lady.” Dale snarked to ease Lisa’s embarrassment. “Though I must say that the changes look rather impressive on you.”

“You’re not looking to bad yourself Professor.” Lisa snarked in return. “You’re what twenty or so now?”

“We’ve done a few rough calculations. If they’re right. Then both Professors Pendragon and I have regressed in age to around twenty-five.” Dale explained for her and his two graduate students. Not mention his son Lee who was giving him the stink eye for some reason. “Relax kiddo. I’m not trying to horn in on your girlfriend. Besides I’m still old enough to be her father.”

“It’s not that dad. I’m wondering how we’re going to explain this to mom.” Lee explained with a small chuckle.

“About that.” Katherine sighed. “There is no way home. We’re stuck here.”

“What the hell are you talking about mom?” Morgan asked.

“The mist that separates the island of Avalon from the rest of the world is more than just a magical spell.” David told them. When the five transformed Melnibonéans gave him looks of confusion David sighed. “Before we left Avalon, I was able to find the actual text concerning the mist. It’s a naturally occurring circular Einstein-Rosen Bridge.”

“Okay Professor I’m a little lacking in the theoretical physics department here. If it’s a bridge, why can’t we just cross back over?” Lee asked him.

“I’m with Lee on this one Professor. If I remember my basic physics class correctly. An Einstein-Rosen Bridge is a wormhole. We should be able to travel between here and home with ease.” Mike told him.

“Not all wormholes are bidirectional. According to Doctor Brian Greene’s paper on the subject. Only one in even five will be bidirectional. The rest will be one-way highways to the next star system.” David explained then wave his hand over his head. “According to my research. The spell that opened the wormhole left it open. With no way back.”

“Does that mean we’ll never seen mom, Amy, and Marry again?” Lee asked his father who just nodded his head sadly. “Fuck.”

“I kind of figured that would be the case.” Lisa sighed as she looked down at her body. “At least I got this rocking bode out of the deal.”

“I wish that wasn’t the case son.” Dale told Lee with a frown.

“Um… Professor Grant there might be a way to bring your wife and daughters here.” Morgan told the two Grant men as a faraway look came to her eyes. “There’s a place where the Mist of Bones has almost no hold on this world.”

“Where and how?” Dale asked with excitement and hope.

“There is a cave not too far from here. Inside it is chamber that holds six magical crystals. The power of those six crystals should hold enough power to open a portal through the Mist. I have to tell you now. It’ll be only one way. From our old world to this one.” Morgan explained for him then looked over at her three college student friends. “Anyone you want from home?”

“Um… don’t you have a boyfriend back home Lisa?” Mike asked her with more than a little sexual interest.

“Jim and I broke up a few days before this all started.” Lisa sighed then looked over at Tony. “What about you and Terry, Tony?”

“Pretty much the same as you and Jim. Only she’s in Soul South Korea by now. She got her orders three months before we left.” Tony grunted. “I knew I should never have got involved with someone from the State Department.”

“Looks like I’m the only one not dating back home.” Mike chuckled then explained. “I spent too much time working on my dissertation for dating.”

“How would you target them, Morgan?” David asked her.

“Better yet. Are you sure you can even open a portal to our home world?” Katherine asked her daughter.

“Between the power of Stormbringer, and those stones, I know I can mom. As for targeting. That’ll be up to Professor Grant and Lee. I’m just the travel agent.” Morgan snarked then turned to face her Dragon Knights. “Gather your brothers my knights. They shall not rot on this cursed field. We shall honor them in the Halls of our Dead. To have battled against such great odds is something that must be honored with all that we have.”

“As you command your Majesty.” The senior knight answered with a bow of his head. He then looked at the Avalon party with a great deal of suspicion. “Should we wait for you and your advisors?”

“You can go ahead Sir Galian and head for home. I sure that my parents won’t harm me.” Morgan chuckled. When the knights didn’t move right away Morgan sighed. “You can trust them. I may no longer look like their child but despite everything I still am their child.”

“As you command Majesty.” Sir Galian answered as he looked over at Katherine. “Know this Emerald Queen of Avalon. Should any harm come to our Queen.”

“All of Avalon will pay the price.” Katherine finished for him as she grabbed Morgan in a hug. “Have no worries knight. I’ll die before I let anyone harm my child. No matter who they might be.”

“Thank you, your Majesty.” Galian said with a slight bow and led the rest of the Dragon Knights to carryout Morgan’s orders.

“Your knights are rather protective of you, Morgan.” Katherine smirked. “If I didn’t know better. I would swear that your Sir Galian has a crush on you.”

“He’s not the only one, your Majesty.” Lisa giggled as she elbowed Lee in the ribs. Katherine, David, and Dale both chuckled as Lee blushed.

“Please not now.” Morgan grumbled.

“Okay kiddo, I’ll drop it for now. But make no mistake we will be revisiting this conversation later.” Katherine told her then turned to Dale. “So Dale. Do you think that your wife and daughters would like to join you here?”

“If I remember right that won’t be possible because of the time differential between the two worlds.” Dale pointed out.

“That is where the magic comes into play.” Morgan told him. “The spell that brought us here. Should open a portal to our time in our home world. It will be up to you and Lee to guide that spell as it targets your family.”

“Dale as much as I hate to say this, but I suggest that only you and Lee go with Morgan to this cave.” David told them as he looked toward the Dragon Knights. “I got a feeling that Morgan’s guards wouldn’t take too kindly to all of us escorting her to that cave.”

“Professor Pendragon you just earned the ward for understatement of the year. The Dragon Knights have taken a rather harsh view when it comes to the protection of Queen Morgan.” Lisa told him honestly.

“Then it is not a crush but a devotion to duty.” David said as he watched the Dragon Knights work. He wasn’t the only one to notice that at least one of the knights kept a watch on their group. “Morgan, I got a feeling that you need to take Lady Lisa with you to the cave.”

“I would also suggest that you start forming a personal guard of made up of women.” Katherine told her daughter with a chuckle as she looked over at the three personal guards that had accompanied her. “For now though I suggest that you four head for that cave. Then in ten days we meet back in Avalon.”

“That’s going to be a problem mom. It would be better if we meet back here on this plain in ten days. That way we can both gather the needed campaign gear for a comfortable stay. Because if we’re going to work out a peace treaty between our two kingdoms. It’ll take time.” Morgan explained with more than a little reluctance. Mostly because she just got her family back.

“Don’t worry we’ll be together again, sweetheart. But you’re right we need to take care of a peace treaty first.” Katherine told her as she hugged her daughter. “We’ll see you back here in ten days.”

“In ten days mom.” Morgan said as she returned her mother’s hug. After hugging her father Morgan turned to her friends. “Come on guys. We need to stop the rest of my army from decimating the Aos Sídhe races.”

“I hope that you can stop them, Morgan.” Lisa told her. “But don’t count it. Our people have a very long and bloody history with the Aos Sídhe.”

“Damn. I forgot all about that.” Morgan whispered. “There’s no way to stop them now. Not that they now have a reason for total war.”

“How far do you think your people will take things Morgan?” Katherine asked.

“As far as they can. We are a blood thirsty race at times. Especially when they have been wronged.” Morgan told her honestly. “Their Queens sent forty of their knights with ten rangers to kill me. That was more than enough reason to wage war. Then they went and assembled their armies for an outright attack on Imrryr. The only thing that will stop them now is the total destruction of both Aos Sídhe cities.”

“For some reason I believe that you’ll be able to halt your army’s rampage.” Katherine chuckled. “You have a certain air of barely contained power now.”

“I’ll have to take your word for that mom.” Morgan chuckled as she turned to Lee. “You’ll have to carry your dad, Lee.”

“No problem, your Majesty.” Lee answered with a bow. “Come on dad. Time for your first dragon ride.”

After farewell hugs were exchanged with her parents Morgan joined the rest of the Melnibonéans as they mounted their dragons. As the dragons took to the skies Katherine turned to David. “She has grown into her power.”

“She has also become one Hell of a Queen.” David chuckled. “Much like her mother. I have a feeling that ten days from now is going to be a rather interesting time for the Island of Avalon.”

“In more ways than one.” Katherine grinned.

-----tbc-----

There is one more chapter in this story. I hope to have it posted by next Sunday.

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love this story...

but feel sad that it is coming to an end. I confess that I have only read two of Michael Moorcock's books, both from the Oswald Bastable series. I'm kind of curious about the Elric books now but it is Morgan, with her family and friends, who really holds my interest here. I'm not really sure if the Elric books would appeal to me or not.

Thank you for the chapter.

wow and more wow!

fantastic!

DogSig.png

Wormholes

If the wormhole from Earth to Avalon is an one way hole, then maybe they can open wormholes to other worlds until they find a world where a two way hole to Earth can be established. But they'd have to be able see by remote viewing where the two way hole is possible (and see all other worlds (and their environments) in between). Otherwise it might end in a deadly adventure.

Thx for another great chapter^^

Conclusion soon

My5InchFMHeels's picture

While there's not much left of the story, and we've been informed that there's only one chapter left, I'm going to miss it when the conclusion is finished. My enjoyment of the story has been tempered with another thought though, everytime I see a new chapter posted.

Something like this...

"Yay more Dragon Isles, but what is the Whitechapel Ripper doing in the Highlands System? And has the Interview With A Lolita had any useable musings?" These are things that just accompany every new chapter posted here.

Amen Honey

smdani4mm's picture

I whole heartedly concure with this sentiment.

Dani

SmDani4

Poor princess

Her life just sucked, didn’t Morgan have some relatives back home? Tiffany I think was her name.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna