Joining a club? (Re-Revised) chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

I was just about to lose my lunch when I feel an arm snake around my waist, and someone else sit beside me on the bench. Strange, I think, the bullies in this little town usually begin by throwing my stuff in the trash and knocking me around a bit.

“It’s OK Jackson, those girls abuse everyone,” says a soft voice behind me. Turning around, I see several girls I don't know, along with my best friend and neighbor Deanna with her arm around me.

“Are they always like that?” I ask, putting my head back on the picnic table.

The blonde girl on the other side of me says, “Usually they are much worse, you just run faster than they do, you were halfway across the yard before we could even get up. By the way, I’m Heather.”

“And that’s Gwen, Molly and Stephanie,” says Deanna.

“Why would they want to pick on me?” I whine. “Isn’t it enough that the soccer players seem to think I’m a punching bag?”

“It’s the green monkey syndrome,” says one of the other girls, “If you take a monkey from it’s tribe, paint it green, and then return it to it’s tribe, all the other monkeys will pick on it, even if it was an alpha monkey before. They pick on anyone who is different.”

“But, I’m no different from any other chubby dweeb? Why would they start calling me names like that?”

“I’m afraid I don’t know Jackie,” says Deanna. “We weren’t close enough to hear what they were saying.”

“Deanna!” I yell, sitting up. “You promised you were never going to call me that at school! I don’t really know those girls, how do I know that won’t get around the school by the end of the day. I’m finished!” I moan as I slide under the table.

“I’m sorry Jackson, but I promise they won’t tell a soul, we’ve all been hassled by those same girls and I know they wouldn’t want anyone to give them more ammunition for them to be tormented by. We’re all members of the ‘Itty Bitty Titty Club’, it was something those girls would harass us about, but we’ve come to take that as our club name with pride so they can’t hurt us with it.”

“That’s what they said I was part of now,” I say, as I desperately try to melt into the concrete. At least I don’t feel like I’m going to upchuck now. “Did they follow you over?”

“No, Tiffany and her court of jesters don’t believe in exertion, you’re safe,” says Heather. “We’ve got some time yet before lunch ends, want to come join us?”

“Fine. Why not? It’s not like I would start getting bullied by sitting with the girls.”


To be continued

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Funny as is

but there is definitely potential for an interesting longer story there if you feel so inclined.

Potential

This is a very short ouverture, but I see potential

Interesting Start

Christina H's picture

Depending on how you feel this has loads of potential.

Christina

Interesting story but it

Interesting story but it seems like it started in the middle.

Yeah, I know

I did that on purpose, as I post more of the story you will see what is going on.

I was just about to lose my

I was just about to lose my lunch

Theft or upset stomach ?

Didn't even think about that,

I had only Jackie's stomach upset from being included in the club in mind. I'll clarify that in the rewrite of that chapter.

Have you seen Jackie?

laika's picture

A great start. I have to wonder if Deanna calling her friend "Jackie" is simply a private nickname or has Jackson confessed feeling like a girl sometimes, or all the time, or something ambivalent that they aren't even sure what it is. I agree with the others that this story has a lot of potential, and vote PLEASE CONTINUE. Its tone & how it opens with a bullying incident reminds me of Anastasia Allread's Camp Kumoni, one of my all time fave series here at BCTS.

If Jackie's odyssey goes the way many similar stories here do, and if the title is any indication, she may end up getting even more unwanted attention from bullies, but she'll have a supportive circle of friends to help her get through it; (and might have the sort of inner confidence that can mitigate green monkey syndrome, since bullies find confident people less fun to pick on). I know that having girlfriends who treated me like I was one of them was one of the high points of MY life; even tho' I was presenting as nominally male. Comfort, camaraderie, being able to be honest + not feel like I was playing some role, having each others' backs, with lots of laughter & just having fun!
~Hugs, Veronica

And speaking of song lyrics (which you were, in your blog)...
Here's a song about a person named Jackie, who sounds a lot more genderqueer (her long black beard is her pride & joy") than your hero/ine will probably end up being, but with the chorus of HEY, LEAVE JACKIE ALONE! it seems semi-appropriate, and may inspire you in some way. Have You Seen Jackie by XTC (under their psychedelic pseudonym The Dukes of the Stratosphere):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f8JZyyEgO0

It's not going to be like those other stories,

there are quite a few surprises in store. But Jackie will definitely have a lot of support. Just wait until Claire blows into town.