A Day at the Races

Printer-friendly version

A Day at the Races
A Vignette
By Maryanne Peters

A Day.jpg

There was a bunch of us, and we all talked about entering the racecourse fashion contest at the Summer Carnival Horse Race. You might know the thing – there are prizes for the best dressed man and the best dressed woman. It was just that I was not going to spend the money on a new suit, let alone one that was mauve or mustard and I would wear only once. The guys talked about swapping suits which was OK for some, but I was too small.

“With that beautiful hair of yours you could swap outfits with one of us instead,” said one of the girls. I just laughed. It was a joke – right?

Rick said – “That’s a great idea. In these times they can’t disqualify a guy from competing with women if he wants to. You can wear one of last year’s outfits if you can get into it. You won’t even need a wig.”

My hair was fair too, but not like it is in the picture. That needed special shampoo and conditioner, and hairspray and lacquer after it had been styled. I told myself that it was a joke, which is why I am smiling. I skipped around in the dress and heels and played with the beads around my neck. I was trying to make light of it.

But the girls were not in the same mood. I remember being told – “This is a serious prize and we are all in to win it so we can share, so don’t embarrass us by telling everybody you are not really a girl. You had better get your walk and your talk right before we get to the racecourse. After that, it will be just like the horses on the track for us – it is all about winning.”

And the truth is that I started to realize that I had a chance. I mean I really did look good. My body shape was largely artificial thanks to corseting and padding, but my legs are long and my face and hair looked just about perfect. I put on my best show, and strutted myself in front of the adoring fans.

I won the prize and it was 20 hair and beauty treatments for a whole year. It was perfect for all the girls to share, but it would not have been right if I did not take my turn – perhaps a little more for having been the winner.

As it happens, I think being a pretty girl quite suits me. What do you think?

After my last free treatment next week Rick has offered to keep paying for them, subject to me being exclusively his. What do you think about that?!

The End

© Maryanne Peters 2023

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rick

Needs his eyes checked. That hair on the right side looks like it was ironed flat with extra starch.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

So do we

Maddy Bell's picture

Get the follow on, A Night at the Opera?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell