Through the years: Trials and tribulations of a preteen girl Part 19

Printer-friendly version

“I see that grin. You got something different, don’t you?” Beth asked.

“Yep. A new variation on the chewy bar things. Plus some more goodies and salads.” Tracy stated.

“I swear.” Chloe said, with a shake of her head. “Between the two of you, we’re all going to become diabetics.”

Tracy chuckled. “Eat just a few.”

“Yeah, what my helper said.” Beth replied.

It's been three years, but hopefully I can get back into writing. Here it is, picking up from the last chapter, more Tracy!
Once again, if you feel the need, go back and re-read the old ones, I had to.

March 18th 1983

The pizza idea had been changed at the last minute. They didn’t want to do two pizza nights in a row. Tracy was in the backseat of her father’s car as he drove to Brooke’s home. After swimming and her tai chi, she was ready for bed. At least the day was going well. Her night bag was already with them. She couldn’t wait till bedtime.

They pulled up near the house and Karen stepped out. Then waved at them to enter. Tracy got out of the car and grabbed her bag and headed for the home. Her parents trailed after her. Tracy was shocked to see Heather and Yvette get out with their mothers and they followed the group.

William stepped into the house. He wasn’t sure if he had ever been in the Han home before. Little touches around the house gave it an Oriental feel. “Shoes by the door please.” Karen said as they all entered. Tracy took off her shoes and headed for the living room, where she could hear her friends. William and Maggie were guided into the dining room.

After a few minutes, with Lok leaving to get food, the conversation started. William and Maggie gave Heather and Yvette’s mothers an abridged version of Tracy. Persephone told them about Sage. While the kids were watching music videos in the living room.

“I'm just amazed that you stayed.” Yvette's mother said to William. “When my ex heard about Yvette, he ran as fast as he could, but not before telling everyone in Oakland her secret. That's how we ended up here. Had no one else to go to and I love the Bay area too much to leave it. Not to mention he got killed in a drug deal gone wrong just after that.”

William shrugged. “I'll be honest. If Maggie hadn't smacked my nose around Halloween of last year, for favoring one child over the other. That when I heard about Tracy on Thanksgiving, I would have been mad and would have probably punished her for being herself. But I was shown that I was playing favorites and being a complete moron. But since Thanksgiving, I have found that I have the best little daughter that I could have ever asked for.”

“I wish Doug could have stayed and seen what a good daughter Yvette has become.” Connie said with a sigh. “Though the attitude they have had...that will be their undoing. I know it was to stay safe, but someone was bound to fight back.”

“That is his loss.” William said. “I am glad I didn't leave. I'm also glad I never forced Tracy to be what she isn't.” He was silent for a moment, then said. “Well, I did. For years I tired to make Tracy a man, but once Maggie opened my eyes, the pieces all fell into place.””

They were interrupted by Sage, Stacey, Tracy and Yvette coming into the room.

Yvette went to her mother. “Mom, Stacey gave me an invite to a birthday party and a sleepover tomorrow. Could we go? Both Heather and I?”

“Tracy will be there for the night.” Maggie said. “You've met Stacey's father. He's the cop.”

“Ah.....The one from Dublin?” Yvette’s mother asked.

“Yes.” Stacey replied.

“Mom, we could use this.” Yvette said. “Both Heather and I.”

Her sister leaned close. "I'd say go just to the party. If they make it through bowling and no problems, let's let them make the decision."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 19th 1983

Tracy had hitched a ride with Sage, but her parents had brought Vance and Mooney to the party. They were slowly getting ready for the start of their time to bowl. Tracy had her shoes already. So did the others. Harvey had rented a room in the back and there was a table filled with presents already. A local pizza place would be bringing in a bunch of pizza’s, but they had to get the drinks from the bowling alley.

Yvette and Heather came walking into the bowling alley. Sage and Tracy broke away from their friends to get their attention. Heather didn’t want to come along. She still thought the whole thing would blow up in their face.

“Hey, are you both staying the whole night?”

“”I...” Yvette looked worried. “I don’t know. It took an hour just to get Heather to come and I don’t want to face things without her.“

Tracy smiled, then looked at Heather who was really feeling bad for how she had treated Sage, Brooke and Rachel all those years. Tracy tapped her on the shoulder, causing her to look up. When she did, Tracy hugged her. The girl stiffened. “Thanks for coming. Wanna get some bowling shoes?”

“Just make it bowling.” Sage told Heather. “Once it’s over, you don’t have to feel like we’re holding you hostage.” As she got her shoes, she saw Harvey leading Stacey over to a lane with her friends from school, whom Tracy had yet to meet.

“Okay, so it’s fair, we’re putting all the names into a hat. Stacey is one name. The head of team two is...” Harvey pulled out a name. “Brooke.” He began calling names. One by one they got picked and Tracy ended up with Stacey, Casey, Sage and Mavis, a friend of hers from school. Stacey’s other two friends, Nancy and Greta, were put on the other team but they were in the same alley and could talk while seated, though it only had three seats per land

In the next set of lanes, William, Harvey, Lance and Carl. Plus Mooney, Romy and Vance, all of whom wanted to bowl as well. Msggie, Persephone and Lynn had all joined in as well. The rest of the mothers, and Jamie were all behind them at tall, free standing tables with drinks for everyone.

As the bowling happened and the girls got into the game, Tracy could see moments where Heather’s face held a slight smile. Same with yvette. None of them were great at the game. But they had fun trying to get the ball down the lane. The others began to cheer on whoever was up. The only one who was even close to good, was Brooke, who had to remove a part of her chair, belt herself in and throw from the side.

The guys on the other hand were cut throat and trying to one up each other. Tracy had known her parents used to bowl. So seeing them up against Lynn, Lance, and the boys was fun.
Heather’s mother showed up near the end of the three hours. As Yvette and Heather went to leave, Tracy and Sage walked with them to the main door of the bowling alley.

“Maybe next time? Please?” Tracy asked. Heather just shrugged. “You were nice...”

“I guess?” Heather replied.

“You’re worried that something will happen?” Sage asked as they walked to the car.

“Yeah.” Yvette said.

“I’d keep you safe, but I won’t force you.” Tracy told them. “But this isn’t the last time. We can do this again. At your pace.”

“Tracy’s right. We’re not pushing you. But we’re here for you.” Sage stated

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they arrived at the house, Tracy had to admit to herself that she was a bit worried. Until she realized that Stacey’s other friends were what the bully's Palermo would have labeled nerds. One of them talked with Sage on the way back to the Parker house about an old T.V. show named Star trek. Both had thick glasses on and one seemed to have a speech problem. She had seen Star Trek a few times, at her uncle’s home. And recently her father had taken them to the movie Star Trek II the wrath of Khan. The other seemed in her shell and didn’t speak much.

Yet as the later part went on, Tracy realized she had nothing to fear. By the time she put her head to the pillow, she could barely keep her eyes open. The night had gone by, with them watching movies on a VCR machine. All movies that Stacey had picked. And popcorn. Lots of popcorn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 20th 1983

Morning came and as the sun began to filter into the house, the sound of a dog running into the living room could be heard, but not by the sleeping girls. Tracy had been awake and already had gone to the bathroom when Lilian let the dog back in the house. Tracy was busy reading as the puppy came padding over.

She stayed in a corner, with the puppy over her lap, reading quietly as her friends and the other girls slept. She was hoping that this could become the norm. Just hanging out with her friends, reading and petting the dog.

She had been glad nothing had happened. Not that she expected it. Stacey’s friends were interesting. Polar opposites from Brooke and Rachel. Neither of them were athletic, and none were huge on shopping. But they did love to read.

And Tracy realized that if her friend group increased by two or three, that would not be a bad thing.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday afternoon came and Tracy was dropped off at Shelly’s house by Harvey. Harvey and his daughters walked Tracy to the front door. They knocked and waited. As it opened up, William gestured for them to come inside. “Wanna come in?”

“We would, But Lil’s family is getting together for Stacy’s birthday. We gotta get going. It’s near Monterey.”

William nodded to him. “Well, in that case, thanks for bringing her out of your way. I could have come and got her.”

“Had to drop off the others as well.” Harvey stated. “But for now, have a good evening and I’ll see you Friday, if nothing big comes up between then and now.”

“See ya then.” William told him. Tracy turned and hugged Stacey, then Casey.

“Bye. See you soon.” Tracy said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March 21th 1983

Tracy was sitting in the waiting room at Dr. Ivan's office, waiting for her turn. Her appointment was early in the day this time. Her parents were both at work and she was with her Aunt Shelly. The room was mostly empty, except for one other kid who was sitting on a chair by a table, coloring a picture. Tracy could see he was younger, but wasn’t sure how much younger

The rest of the weekend had been horrible. The waiting to get all her legal stuff done and go to Disneyland. She had pushed herself hard to get everything ready. She even had a book or two ready to read if they had down time. She was unsure if she could make it to Friday without going mad from the waiting.

“Hi. I'm Tracy, how are you?”

The young boy looked up, but only barely. He was feeling out of place in his skirt, with his shaved head. “I'm fine.”

“That's a pretty skirt you have on.”

“I guess.” The kid replied.

“What's your name?” Tracy asked.

“Carl.” He replied, then he looked up. “But I wanna be Carrie.”

“I’m Tracy. How old are you?” She asked.

Carl, soon to be Carrie replied, while looking up for a moment. “I’m nine.”

“Cool.” Tracy replied. “You been coming here often?”

Carrie shook their head. “No. Third time.”

“Dr. Ivan is great. You’ll like him. Just remember to tell him everything that is wrong and he can try and help.” Tracy said with a smile

She was gonna say more, but her name was called. She got up and followed the good doctor back.

“Tracy, I saw you talking to Carrie. You know Sage. What would you say if I were to start up a bi-monthly meeting, so all you kids could get together and talk about your problems and stuff. There's only a handful of you so far, but I think talking in a group can help you.” Ivan said to her as she sat in a chair.

“Sure, I guess.”

“No one will force you, but there is strength in numbers. So you and Sage can think about it and give me a call when you get back from Disneyland. I'm actually going to see if your parents want in on a parents support group, too.”

Tracy thought about it, then nodded. “Yeah, I can do that.”

“Good. Now I don’t want to push you too much. I know you have a garden meeting tonight. How do you feel about that?”

“Great. We’re going home and making treats to tease Mrs. Paulson with. Plus Dad may go and meet some of the ladies. But I get to talk with Betty and the other grannies.”

“Well, have fun. That’s the main thing.” Ivan said with a smile.

“Oh. “Tracy reached into her purse. “Mom said to give you this. It's the court time and day.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tracy was at the oven as her father came into the kitchen and watched as she pulled out a cake pan. And placed it on the burner to the stovetop. “So, what’s all this for?”

“Garden club. Aunt Shelly signed me up so I can count this as science and I’m getting out some.” Tracy said with a smile. “I’m trying one of Grandma’s other desserts tonight, just to tease Mrs. Paulson.”

“Leave any for me, or do I get teased too?” He asked, playfully.

Tracy pointed to a second pan that was already cooling off. “Right there. Just cover the dish when you’re done with it. Save some for Uncle Frank.”

“We can do that.” William said with a nod. Vance looked up from his homework and nodded.

“Vance, I want that homework done, before you start on the T.V. and remember the dishes. Tracy already did a lot of them, you just have the soup bowls from dinner and the cups.” Maggie said to them as Shelly was coming down the steps.

“Okay Mom.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shelly led Tracy and Maggie into the clubhouse where they were doing the meeting. The older ladies greated Shelly first and said hello to Maggie as she came in with one dish. Betty moved closer to the table Tracy was going for. “Hello young lady. It’s so good you keep coming. Flowers and plants are important things. As are gardens.”

“Hello Mrs. Betty!” Tracy exclaimed. The old lady held her arms out and Tracy leaned in for a hug. Then she moved on, leaving Tracy waiting by the table. Beth came over with her own pan.

“I see that grin. You got something different, don’t you?” Beth asked.

“Yep. A new variation on the chewy bar things. Plus some more goodies and salads.” Tracy stated.

“I swear.” Chloe said, with a shake of her head. “Between the two of you, we’re all going to become diabetics.”

Tracy chuckled. “Eat just a few.”

“Yeah, what my helper said.” Beth replied.

The meating started and Tracy went to a corner seat and sat with her mother. It was fun to learn about different plans of growing. She also learned about an idea for a group garden. That led to voting for what vegetables to grow in it.

Tracy was enjoying this, though it didn’t teach her much about growing. Though Shelly had been right. She was getting the chance to trade recipes with people.

~~~~~**~~~~~~

I have said this many times in the past, but hopefully I can kick start this story again. Life has been tough, but I really want to keep this going.
I do have a few pages ready to go and hopefully I can get into a habit of posting.

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great to see this story continued

It was one of my favorites. It's been a long time I didn't realize I missed it until I read this posting.

Please continuw!

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

thanks

Raff01's picture

Yeah, I kinda missed it myself. Glad you liked it

Thank you so much for

Thank you so much for restarting this wonderful story. I have missed Tracy and the gang. You do a great job of bringing him to life. This is a story worth continuing and thank you for doing so.

Willow

Willow

Thank you

Raff01's picture

and Thank you for reading.
ILike I stated above, the chapters that follow were hard to write so i kept going away from them. That's why Hope's ranch and the Mackenzie somerset stories showed up. But I kept picking at this, a bit by bit.
Hopefully i can get though the bad to write the good

Baby steps

Jamie Lee's picture

After everything Yvette and Heather have been through, and their fear of it happening again, Tracy and Sage have to be very patient with the two girls. Yvette and Heather show a bit of trust in what Tracy and Sage told them, by showing up at the bowling alley.

The girls have to take baby steps with Heather and Yvette, since both are still fearful they'll be attacked again. But both girls are trying to trust again thank to Sage and Tracy.

Others have feelings too.

yes

Raff01's picture

And the stronger of the two, Heather, is actually the weaker of the two