The Guilty Are Always Caught Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

When Katlain arrives at work, she spots her partner. He was wearing another one of his suits. She takes a sip from her coffee cup as she sits down across from him.

“Morning, partner.” Joe looks at his partner.

“Morning. I heard back from Jester last night.” Katlain takes another sip from her coffee.

“What did your informant tell you?” Joe knew Katlain had connections all over the city.

“According to Jester, the group is operating out of Washington, GA.”

“That makes sense since it was where the Confederacy voted to dissolve itself. Also, it is a rumor that it's the last recorded location of the remaining Confederate gold is hidden.” Joe was a Civil War buff. He loved history.

“I didn’t know that, and I was born here.” Katlain was surprised when she heard that tad bit of information.

“You didn’t know that? Your family is one of the founding families of Augusta, GA.” Joe was surprised himself.

“Like I said, I’m surprised. There are only a few of us still alive.” Katlain knew that out of all the relatives she had. There were only fifty members of her bloodline still alive.

Most of her family either spread out and intermarried with other families or were killed in every war there has been. Back in the colonial days, the survival rate of children born wasn’t the greatest.

She was the last of her bloodline. Since a family bloodline is traced through the male line she no longer considers herself a male. Her line was pretty much ending with her. Her cousins, on the other hand, still had plenty of people to carry on the family name.

“Well, if the group is operating out of Washington, Ga. Maybe we should start searching there.”

“That’s what I was thinking. However, before we head there, we need to do something about how you are dressed. Because you are going to stick out like a sore thumb.” Katlain figures if they change how Joe looks, things might be better.

“What’s wrong with how I’m dressed?” Joe thought he looked nice.

“If I was still a crook, I would know right away you were a cop. You need to blend in and make these people think you are one of them. The way you are dressed, you look like a federal agent or cop.” Katlian hated telling her partner this.

“What do you suggest?” Joe figures maybe Katlain was right.

“Let’s go shopping.” Katlain grabs her purse and starts leaving their work area.

Joe follows behind her, after grabbing his jacket. He noticed that she drove her Mustang this morning.

“I see you brought the stang this morning.” As he gets in on the passenger side.

“Yeah, but if we are going to Washington to investigate this group. I’ll need to go by my garage and switch to another one of my cars.

Joe looks at Katlain “How many do you own?”

“About eighty vehicles.” Katlain had a large collection of vehicles spread out in different garages and warehouses she owned.

“Eighty. When do you drive all of them?” Joe couldn’t imagine having over eighty vehicles.

“I don’t. Some of them are for show, some are from famous movies and the ones I use the most are for various jobs I do.” Katlain also had some
she used for various jobs for her cousins.

“Are they all legal?” Joe wonders if Katlain stole some of them.

“Ask me no questions, I’ll tell you no lies.” Katlain paid for most of her collection. Some of them she rebuilt herself.

Katlain takes Joe to an outdoor store and to several different thrift stores to get the right look. She also picks up a few changes of clothes as well. They spend a good three hours clothes shopping and coming up with a look that suits both of them.

Once they have the clothes, they go to the warehouse where she stores all her SUVs, RVs, campers, and pickup trucks. When Joe sees Katlain’s collections of trucks, campers, and other vehicles, his jaw drops.

“Where did you get all of these?” Joe looks at the various vehicles.

“Long story. Now, let's change and I think we’ll take this one here.” Katlain walks over to a jacked-up 4x4 that looks like something a redneck would have.

“Where in the world did you get this truck?” Joe gets in on the driver's side.

“I built it from the ground up from an old 1989 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbodiesel. This thing has been heavily modified and decked out to go through mud and outrun most police cars.” Katlian climbs into the cab.

Joe noticed the CB radio and radar detector. It also had a police scanner as well. There was a short-wave radio in the truck as well.

“This truck is equipped with Nitrous oxide as well.” Katlain figures it would come in handy.

“This truck has nitrous?” Joe looks at Katlain to confirm what she just said.

“Yes, but it's for last resort.”

Joe goes to start the truck, but it won’t start. He tries again and again it won’t start.

“Why won’t this truck start?” As he looks at Katlain.

“It has a kill switch in it.” Katlain reaches under the driver's seat and flips it on.

“You could have told me.” Joe wonders why Katlain did that.

“And give away all my secrets?” Katlain had kill switches in every vehicle she owned. Along with trackers as well.

Joe started the truck and loved how it sounded. He watches as Katlain presses a button on the dash and the warehouse door opens. Once they were halfway under the door. Joe watches as Katlain presses the button again.

“Making sure the door closes?” Joe spotted Katlain turning around in her seat to look out the back window.

“Yep.”

Once they were away from the warehouse. They start heading towards Washington.

“What name do you want to use?” Joe drove as Katlain sat next to him.

“Let’s see.” Katlain opens the glove box and pulls out the registration.

She registered the truck under Richard Westen and Barbara Westen. She had everything in the truck she needed to create false IDs for them. She hands a worn-looking wallet to Joe.

“Give me your wallet.”

Joe digs his wallet out and hands it to Katlain. He watches as she accepts it lifts her seat cushion and places their real IDs in a safe under the
seat cover.

“You have a safe in here?” Joe was surprised.

“Yep. Doesn’t everyone?” Katlain looks at Joe with a playful smile on her face.

“You are having too much fun.” Joe couldn’t believe how Katlain was acting.

“You haven’t seen anything yet.” Katlain makes herself comfortable as she watches Joe drive.

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Knowing Katlin

Samantha Heart's picture

She's has a weapons stash in that truck too anoung OTHER surprises which I'm sure we will find out in time.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.