SEER 2

Printer-friendly version

Society as a whole likes a normalcy bias or a status quo. Change comes in many forms and what it presents determines how readily it is accepted. Cars and planes were readily embraced by most but not all. Let's not forget the flat earth and many were put to death for proclaiming the world was round and not the center of the universe. Thus are the things many can't understand but they accept and others never will.

Dedicated to Cathy who talked me into coming to BCTS and subsequently edited several of my stories so they were readable. Cathy, the first Seer story is still on hold. Love you hon.

Chiffon Publishers
Copyright 11/2/23
Barbie Jean Lee

Seer 2

Matt and his partner examined the bodies. It was obvious the woman and the man had been tortured. Knife cuts, stab wounds to hurt and bleed them out. Neither Matt nor Joan needed forensics to tell them it had been a brutal death for both the male and female.

Slowly they walked around the room, taking in every little detail as they discussed what they were seeing and possibly missing. Team work wasn’t only in the days that follow a homicide but also in the first approach to the crime scene. A place on the wall where there may have been a picture? Was the picture family, personal, or a collectable? These were clues to who were the killers. There was more than one killer was clear enough with the way the bodies had been tortured.

The living room didn’t yield a billfold for the man or a purse for the woman. Didn’t mean the items were stolen if they were left in another part of the house. Possibly the bedroom, bathroom vanity, possibly the den or the kitchen if the woman left her purse on the kitchen cabinet. They headed to the den. It was a total mess. No computers, desktop or laptop. Wires were missing ends, those that weren’t had plugs easily disconnected. No big screen TV although there was a place on the wall with empty brackets. Anything of value was gone.

The kitchen yielded about the same, cabinets open and anything of value was taken.

Leaving the den they stopped and studied the living room, where the bodies were. Sometimes a different angle, different position revealed details over looked. They stopped at the stairway leading to the bedrooms. Again both were looking back at the bloody room as the Crime Scene Investigators worked to preserve any evidence from the bodies. Close to a hundred pictures would be taken in that one room. Plastic bags slid upon the hands of both victims to save any skin, blood, or clothing material the victims may have under their nails after struggling with the attackers. The bodies were carefully lifted over onto sheets of plastic with a zipper all the way around the edge. The bodies were sealed inside the plastic bags, a sad ending to two lives. A cloth sheet was laid on top after the bodies had been moved over to stretchers. A little dignity for both the man and woman as the bodies were wheeled out to the ambulance. The last moments of their lives and the crime evidence on the bodies would be preserved for closer inspection in the lab.

Matt and Joan continued through the house as more forensic inspectors began dusting for prints and taking more pictures. In any crime, evidence of the perpetrators was always left behind. In this day and age of high technology it was the job of those in the CSI to find that evidence no matter how little there might be.

Willow was a nice sized city able to afford the police force. The CSI people, the scientific and material goods descending on the house, much less the equipment necessary for forensic research was another matter. What Willow had was the fortune to be located only one hundred nine miles from one of the leading colleges in the nation that taught criminology and law. Students who graduated from Westmore were sought after by every large city in the world.

Upstairs one of the bedrooms was obviously for a young girl. Although the room had been trashed by those who murdered her parents it still reeked of a young girl. The plushies, dolls, girl clothes, books and everything a little girl would have in her room was scattered every where. It told of a scene where someone was searching for something or some one

The search now included looking for the young girl. “If they took the little girl it wasn’t for ransom. I hate to think what they would do to her or do with her?” Joan was still searching a bedroom that was obviously for a young girl. She and Matt had searched the closet, checked under the bed, everywhere a small child could hide and still no little girl.

“I’ll call in Larry and Tag. Her scent is on everything in here, hopefully Tag can smell her out if she’s still in the house or hiding some place in the neighborhood.” Matt tapped a contact list and tapped the name when he found it.

“Larry, bring Tag we can’t find a little girl.” “Yes, four one one nine North Oak Drive, the house where…”

Joan was shaking her head in case the girl was in hearing range. She didn’t want parents and murder mentioned.

“Twenty four minutes? Sounds good.”

Matt made a second call while he had his phone out. “Brenda, more bodies for a search. All you can round up and spare. Searching for a little girl. Call the fire department and all the volunteers. The home has been searched. I want it searched again by fresh eyes and canvas the neighborhood. Find who the parents were friends with. Call the school and find who the girl was friends with. They might also know who the parents were friends with and if the little girl had a babysitter. Check with the hospital and her parents doctors and the little girl’s doctor. Send Shawana to talk to them. She can get people to talk and get answers when none of the rest of us can. Call Judge Caroll Morganst if any warrants are needed. She’s a lot more ready to help and bend a few laws when people aren’t willing to share what they know. The threat of a warrant loosens a lot of tongues. God, I so hope she was with friends when this happened.”

Day Three

The leads for the parents friends and the little girl’s school friends had come to a dead end. Pictures of her, they found in the parents bedroom, were shared with everyone looking for her. There was an occasional baby sitter. Connie Whitemore was in Junior High and lived with her parents two houses west of the murder scene. The detectives left a young girl sobbing in her mother’s arms after explaining why they were there and asking what she knew about the missing girl. Connie had confirmed the young girl’s name was Julie and she was eight years old. The detectives had already decided that much after talking to the school and going through a lot of files and photographs in the house.

It wasn’t looking good as it had been three days and no little girl. More and more it was pointing to the idea those who had killed her parents had also taken the little girl. The focus on finding the killers, as they now knew from all the evidence at the murder scene there were three, intensified.

Matt, Joan, Andy, Paula, and Vern were in what was nicknamed the Boiler Room. There was a big conference table in the middle with pictures, files, and the latest forensic files scattered across the top. A cork wall covered one side of the room plastered with pictures, post it notes, files, a plushie bunnie, and a plushie Teddy Bear pinned in the middle to remind them why they were trying so hard to solve the murders. Even more, find a missing little girl.

All five of them had been there since four that morning working through the pictures, files, and making phone calls trying to build a lead, any kind of lead. At ten that morning they weren’t any closer to finding the primary target, the girl, nor the secondary targets, the killers.

Joan made the call she truly didn’t want to. “Nikki, we need your help. Can you come? I’ll let the team know.”

Matt was shaking his head. “The Captain won’t approve the expense besides the fact he hates your sister and thinks she’s a quack.”

Joan knew what Captain Evans thought of her sister. He had made it plain many times over the years he didn’t believe in fortune tellers. He considered them all quacks and shysters.”

“He doesn’t have to agree. Nikki is waiting for us at the house.”

“You called her already?” Andy asked the question on everyone’s mind.

Joan shook her head. “No, she knew either I was going to call her or she knew we needed her. She took a taxi from the airport to wait for us at the house.”

Besides Joan, there wasn’t a person in that room who didn’t feel a chill run down their spine. Quack, charlatan, con, and other similar names were used by those on the force when they talked about Joan’s sister. They heard tales but that was all. Then everyone would laugh because everything they said about her had to be a joke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harold and Ted were assigned to watch the house to make sure nothing was disturbed and watch for people who drove by too often as if they were checking the place out. Stakeout was always boring as hell and most considered it punishment for what evers.

The taxi pulled up beside their police cruiser. The young lady who got out looked like she was in her early twenties. She could have been a dancer or entertainment for any high end club as she was well endowed with dangerous serious curves. Both officers were thinking surgically enhanced as no female as young as her could be that well developed. She paid the fare, walked around in front of the police cruiser, ducked under the police tape, and walked up the sidewalk to the house.

Ted was getting out of the car to tell her she couldn’t be there when she sat down on the porch step. “Ma’am, you can’t be there.”

She gave him a big smile.

“Ma’am do you understand, you can’t be there. This is a restricted area. Everything behind the yellow police tape is off limits to civilians.”

She shrugged her shoulders.

Harold got out and walked up beside Ted. If they had to forcibly remove the young lady he wanted part of that. “Miss, you are in a restricted area. If you don’t come away from the house now, we will arrest you.”

She still didn’t move.

“Think she’s deaf?” Ted glanced over at Harold.

“Not sure. She seemed to hear us or know we were talking to her.”

“Ma’am, last warning. Either get off the property or we will arrest you.” Ted was waving her to come toward them. It looked like they would have to forcibly remove her. Both officers walked up to the porch.

“Stand up.” Didn’t get a response.

Ted and Harold took hold of an arm and lifted her to her feet. Ted stepped behind her and handcuffed her. Harold picked up her purse and they walked her out to the patrol car and put her in the cage.

Harold keyed the radio once they were back in the front seat. “Central, Two One Oh Four.”

“Go ahead One Oh Four.”

“Central we have a ten sixty six

“Advise situation One Oh Four”

“Young Female Ten Ninety four unresponsive to commands.”

Ted took her billfold out of her purse and retrieved her driver’s license. He showed it to Harold. Obviously a fake.

“I can give you what is on her driver’s license but it’s not hers. She’s too young for the age on the driver’s license. Name is Nikki Ann Masters. Address is four zero six Stappleton Dr. Galveston, Texas. Age is thirty six.”

“Hold One, One Oh Four.”

Two non descript cars pulled up behind them. Matt, Joan, Andy, Paula, and Vern walked up beside the police cruiser. Joan tapped on the back window beside the passenger as she shook her head. “What did you do now, baby sister?”

She opened the door and helped her sister stand up. “Officer would you remove the cuffs please.”

Ted put everything back in the purse before he slid out of the car. “If she is you sister she was trespassing on the crime scene.”

“She was in the house?”

“She walked past the tape and was sitting on the porch.”

There were some snickers from three of the latest arrivals after that remark. Joan nodded in agreement. “Okay, she was trespassing on a crime scene. I’ll take responsibility for her from here. Please remove the cuffs.”

Ted didn’t appreciate his authority being taken over even if it was by someone higher up. “She needs to go downtown and be booked and tagged. She was trespassing.”

Joan gave a harsh look at the officer’s badge. “Office Coats, I’m taking over responsibility for the lady. Remove the handcuffs or I’ll put a complaint in your record.”

Ted grudgingly removed the handcuffs and passed over the purse.

“Thank you for your co-operation Officer Coats.” The comment was dripping with sarcasm.

Nikki nodded toward the house. “Once we are inside don’t anyone say anything. The murders were extremely vicious and brutal almost over riding everything else. I’m getting faint traces of four who drove up in a van. Three entered the house one stayed in the van. Unless I can calm the mother and father inside the house their emotions are going to hide almost any trace of the three killers and the driver. Any of you talking will only make it worse and possibly destroy any links.”

Nikki headed for the house without waiting for the others.

Matt and the others looked at Joan as she was shaking her head. “I didn’t mention the murders or how many were involved. Whatever you’re thinking and more importantly, whatever you believe, keep it to yourselves until Nikki is through. Don’t mention the little girl. She will know and any thoughts you have may mess up finding her.”

Nikki walked up to the door, opened it, and walked in.

Ted looked back at Harold. “Wasn’t that door locked?”

“Yes along with a dead bolt.”

“Think someone unlocked it?”

“Not unless they did it from inside. It was locked when we drove up here. I checked and no one has been here except us.”

When the others walked into the house Nikki was sitting on the floor with her legs crossed, her eyes closed, her hands in her lap. She turned to her left. “Jenna, I can’t understand you if you don’t stop screaming at me.”

She turned her head to the other side. “Mark, as I told your wife I can’t understand you if you don’t stop yelling. Let me talk to Jenna first.”

Nikki turned back the other way. She frowned and shook her head. She nodded in agreement and then shook her head again and then stood up. “Okay, I’ll go get her.”

Nikki walked across the room and started up the stairs.

Joan motioned to the others. “Guys stay here. She’s going after the little girl. Men will frighten her. Paula, with me.”

The two women followed Nikki up the stairs to the little girl’s room. The room both women and everyone else had searched several times so thoroughly days before.

Nikki walked over to the closet and started pulling out boxes, clothes, stuffed animals and dolls until she reached the back wall of the closet. Running her hands along the wall she pushed the wall to one side and a crack appeared. Slipping her fingernails into the crack she pulled the wall out. There cowing in the dark recess was the most frightened little girl Joan or Paula had ever seen.

Nikki held out her arms. “Julie, I’m here and no one is going to hurt you. I promise you that. You are such a brave little girl to sit here in the dark all by yourself for as long as you have. I see you have a Rabbit. I bet he kept you company while you told him stories. Do you think he…, oh I’m sorry Miss Rabbit I didn’t understand. Oh yes Ma’am, Julie is a very brave girl. It was nice of you to keep her company. Do you and Mister Rabbit have any wee ones? Oh, there isn’t a Mister Rabbit.’

Nikki gave a big smile at the girl as she wiggle her fingers. “May I hold Misses Rabbit? And of course you’re welcome to come for a hug also.”

The frightened girl launched herself into Nikki’s arms and began crying her heart out. Nikki was hugging her and slowly rocking from side to side. “I have you Julie. You’re safe. I won’t let anything happen to you. I’m positive Misses Rabbit would give me a scolding if I allowed anyone to hurt you.”

Nikki turned to look at Joan. “There is a young girl by the name of Connie Whitemore two houses up the street to the south. She is the babysitter. Call her parents and ask if Connie may come over. Julie will recognize her. She needs someone she knows. Call the hospital and get a nurse and a female doctor to check Julie over. She’s okay except she is dehydrated. Something simple at first, electrolytes and water, then a small bowl of ice cream with a cookie. She likes strawberry and her favorite cookie is chocolate chip. Several hours after that she may eat soup or soft foods. She likes potato soup and mushroom soup. Slowly at first and then anything she wants after her stomach understands food is back on the menu. She’s been trapped behind the closet since…, They pulled everything down off the hangers and shelves blocking her exit and she couldn’t get out.

Joan turned to Paula. “Call the hospital, get an ambulance, a nurse, and doctor out here. I’m going over to the Whitemore home. We questioned them when we were trying to find information about the little girl. I know where the house is. I talked to Cheryl and Kevin. This will take more than a phone call.”

Downstairs Joan stopped a minute to update the men. “We have the little girl. She’s been traumatized. Nikki doesn’t want any men near her for a couple days. Paula called for medical. When they get here Nikki will bring the girl down. Don’t crowd her.”

Twelve minutes later an ambulance arrived. It wasn’t only the all female EMP crew but Dr. Nancy Bishop and Helen Staten a registered nurse in the ambulance. Joan arrived back at the house at the same time with Connie and her parents in tow. She recognized Dr. Bishop and Helen as she had met them before.

“Everyone, this needs to be handled delicately to keep from traumatizing the little girl more than she already is. Nikki is upstairs in the bedroom with Julie. Or maybe not.” Joan was watching as Nikki slowly came down the stairs with the little girl snuggled up in her in her arms and hugging her.

Joan motioned for Kevin to stay back while she brought Cheryl and Connie up as Nikki carried Julie up to the ambulance. Julie had her face buried in Nikki’s breasts while desperately clutching her bunny. “Julie, sweety, your friend Connie is here.:”

Connie walked up behind the little girl and started to touch her. Nikki shook her head. “Talk to her first. Let her hear your voice. She’ll loosen up and accept you. Then along with your mother all the others around her can talk to her and touch her. Slowly, softly now, there is no way to hurry this as she accepts the world around her again.”

Eleven minutes later Julie accepted the transfer from clinging to Nikki to Connie. Slowly she began looking around as Connie began talking to her and touching her. Nikki nodded in agreement. “Let’s keep it informal. Nancy, Helen, you can come up now and began checking her over while Connie holds her. Connie, after she accepts the doctor and nurse touching her, climb up in the ambulance and go to the hospital with them.”

“Sheryl, follow them to the hospital. When they have finished their examinations, bring Julie back home with you. She’s slept with Connie before. Children have a very resilient nature. After a week of love and affection from those she knows, she will be a little girl again.”

“Child Protection Services needs to take over.” Came from Vern behind them.

Nikki turned around and gave him a look that would have frozen a volcano. “I’m not getting into a pissing contest with you, the department, or the legal system. Julie is not mentally capable right now of being sucked into that big black hole you believe protects children like her. She watched and heard her parents getting butchered before she escaped to her hide and seek hole she used to play in. Let’s not get into a game of one upmanship, my friends are more powerful than your friends.”

Nikki looked around making eye contact with everyone there. A chill settled down on the rest of the officers who had heard or seen Nikki do impossible things before. Vern was the one officer who had heard the tales about Nikki, from those who called her a witch, sorceress, fortune teller, along with a few other names. He didn’t believe any of it.

“No one calls Child Welfare. They will destroy Julie. I will know who made the call. A word of warning. Hell will be a relief to anyone who makes that call. Someone will handle Child Protection Services in the days to come. Julie is not going into the system.”

“she’s under our protection” Were the lilting soft feminine voices heard by everyone. It wasn’t Nikki or anyone there who said it. Vern felt like someone had laid an icy hand on his heart. To the other officers it solidified the thought, ‘don’t mess with contradicting Joan’s sister.’ Everyone else looked around wondering where the women were who had spoke.

Slowly the situation got sorted out. The ambulance pulled out with Dr. Bishop, Helen, in the back with Connie still hugging Julie who was clinging with her face buried on Connie’s chest. Sheryl and Kevin headed home to get their car and go to the hospital. Both thinking of what they had witnessed and wondering who exactly the Nikki woman was?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nikki returned to the living room and once again sat down in the middle of the floor her legs crossed. Joan waved everyone to the sides of the room as they returned.

Nikki nodded. “You saw, she’s safe now. I pledge my life to protecting her as she grows into a young woman. You can be very proud of her, she is a very strong little girl. There were names mentioned. I need names to begin my search.”

Her eyes were closed as her head turned to her right. “Mark? Okay, the big fat guy with the bushy beard was Travis. Looked like a heavy biker? Two hundred forty pounds? Tattoos? Can you describe any of them? That’s okay. They covered both arms. That’s good. The police can work with that.”

“What?” She turned her head in front of her. “He had an earring in his left ear? Skull and crossbones? Thanks Jenna, that helps. Gap in his front teeth?”

“Describe the others. Weasel? That’s not much of a description. Long narrow face? Flattened nose? That happens when it’s been broken in a lot of fights. Missing, broken, yellow teeth? Heavy drug user then, their teeth start falling out. Anorexic, slight build? Guess at the weight. Hundred fifty or less? No that’s okay, they broke into the house and you were scared.”

“Describe the third one the best you can. Tattoos on the face? Can you describe them? That’s okay. Facial beard? Gray? That’s great. Tattoos on the arms and back of his hands? You looked at his eyes before he attacked you? Five ten or eleven over two hundred pounds? Long, scraggly, oily, hair? That’s great Jenna.”

“Did either of you get a look at the person in the van when the door was opened? Mark you opened the door when they rang the doorbell. No hon, I’m not blaming you for letting them in. Mark listen to me, not your fault. Mark…, Mark I need you here and now no one is blaming you. I want the police to catch the ones who did this, okay?”

“They rushed into the house as soon as you started to open the door. Mark focus, you might not think you saw who was in the van but you did. I know it hurts…, Mark no one is blaming you. Julie is alive because you stood in the way down here. When she’s better I’ll ask her what she saw but it won’t be for several months, maybe years. Do you want the killers to find out Julie saw them and come back to kill her?”

“Focus Mark. You started to open the door and they slammed against it shoving you back. In that split instant what did you see in the van? Long blonde hair? You’re doing good. A female you think? That’s okay the police will figure it out.”

It got deathly quiet for several minutes, no one daring to say anything or move. Finally Nikki took a deep breath. “Jenna, Mark, your time here is through. There is nothing else you can do. I’ll make sure Julie is safe, loved, and cared for by a loving family. She thinks of Connie as a big sister. Her family will be the best choice. Insurance? Deed? Will? Allen Shackel? Judge Hinderson? Any living relatives? Yes I thought of them but I’m not turning her over to them. Mark I don’t like your brother. He is not getting his hands on Julie so he can get her inheritance. Mark, Bradley is a bastard and he’s done things you don’t even know about. Not only no but hell no. I’ll waste him before he gets custody or a claim on Julie…, I’ll change the Will, Bradley is not getting custody of Julie.”

“Thank you. Any more important papers you want us to know about? Grandparents Edlison? Give me a second…, Yes they left a Will. Jenna was the only child she inherited everything. Wait a minute. The lawyer they used never forwarded the papers or notified you after their death. He’s been bleeding the estate.”

“CRAP! A certain lawyer and me are going to have a short, very short discussion in the future. Jenna, why didn’t you inquire after your parents death? No…, I’ll take care of it. Twenty one million six hundred thousand, and change. It’s in a double blind multiple corporations conglomerate. You wouldn’t have been able to find it even if you had asked the lawyer about it. Your parents were very smart with money. They trusted the wrong lawyer. I’ll fix it, I know where the will is.”

Nikki slowly rose up and walked out of the house without saying anything. Sitting down on the driveway close to the street, she bent over and laid her head down on her legs. The others had followed her out. Everyone was wondering what she was doing? Besides all of them were thinking no one could be that flexible.

Nikki sat up. “Joan”

“I’m here sis, what can you tell me?” Joan walked up in front of her sister.

“White Ford Expedition, too many vehicles have come and gone to get a better picture. They were looking for drugs. Some asshole gave them this address for some reason. No drugs but they did carry off jewelry, cash, computers, TVs. You and I will check out the pawnshops this week. The Westmore residue will be on the stolen items. I can pick up on that. Hopefully the killers tried to pawn their goodies and the cameras in the stores got their picture. I hope it’s the female pawning the stolen items. She’s just as guilty as the three killers. I really want to nail her ass.”

Nikki stood up and the rest of the team moved up around her. She looked at Paula and Andy. “Run the ownership of all white Ford Expeditions within a fifty mile radius. I’ll visit each one if I must. The van will be carrying the killers scent. I have that now. If I come upon the van I’ll know it’s them.”

Vern shook his head. “Impossible.”

Joan held up a recorder. “You just come out of the house where my sister received the description of the three men and you are claiming impossible?”

“This is a joke and I’m not buying it. Your sister is a great con artist. She should be working in a carnival and fortune reading.”

Nikki looked at her sister and then Matt, Andy, and Paula. “Turn off your phones and recorders.”

All of them wondered why as it was necessary to record everything in the house and now she wanted them off? She waited while every complied to the request except Vern. She focused her attention on him.

“The future is fluid and no one absolutely no one can predict exactly how it will be when we arrive at the next moment in our life. You plan on calling Donita Wellington in Child Welfare the moment you get back to the station and tell her about Julie. I’m only going to say this once. I’m not threatening you, I’m explaining what will happen if you do. Your life will turn to shit. Until the day you die nothing will go right. You will become so broke you will turn to drugs to finance your apartment, your utilities, your car, the food you wish you could afford.”

“Everything that could possibly happen to that little girl in Child Welfare will be ten times placed on you. Miss Wellington will share the same fate only she won’t last as long. Julie Whitemore is our responsibility. The nightmare she experienced will return again if she goes into welfare. I won’t allow that to happen.”

Everyone could smell something pungent that stung the nose. Joan knew exactly what it was. Ozone permeated the air around them. “Sis…, please don’t.”

The smell dissipated. Nikki was glaring at Vern. “Would have took care of the problem right here.”

She sighed as she looked at her sister. “I had a cab to get here. I need a ride to the hospital to check on Julie. Who is offering?”

“You can ride with Matt and me.” Joan pointed at one of the cars behind the police cruiser.

“Okay, just a second.” Nikki turned back to the house and began whispering something. A minute later she nodded in agreement. “Police, attorneys, appraisers are not on the menu.”

Matt closed in on Joan and whispered in her ear. “What was that all about?”

Joan was watching as Nikki walked off toward the car she had pointed out. “My sister has friends you don’t want to know about. I’m betting she asked them to watch the house and not let marauders in.”

“Friends?” Matt’s focus turned to watch as Nikki stopped by the car.

“Let’s give my sister a ride to the hospital.” Joan was headed toward the car.

Nikki was dropped off at the hospital. Joan and Andy headed onto the police station to file and work on the descriptions of the killers Nikki had described. They clearly were thinking they should have checked on Julie themselves. Except after that speech she gave Vern, they didn’t want around her. Nikki walked into the hospital and straight for ER. Not a single nurse, staff, nor security personnel questioned if she belonged where visitors weren’t normally allowed.

Julie was sitting on the examination table her right hand holding onto Connie’s hand in a death grip afraid if she turned lose the monsters would return. Her left hand was holding Miss Rabbit just as tight. Dr. Nancy Bishop and Helen Staten were the only others Julie was accepting close to her. Any of the other nurses get close she would start screaming.

“Hello Miss Rabbit I see you are cuddling with someone. Who is that? Goodness me I do believe its Miss Julie. Hello Julie.”

“NIKKI!” She screamed turning lose of Connie and lunging for Nikki who had walked up close to the exam table. The little girl impacted into her breasts and began crying.

As the little girl impacted into her Nikki caught her. “I have you Sweetie. I promise no one is going to hurt you. All these people here care about you. They want to make sure you are okay. You know Connie loves you. She’s told you stories and played house with you. She’s tucked you in when you got sleepy and kissed away the hurt when you scraped your knee when your bicycle fell over. You’re safe Sugar.”

Beyond beautiful high lilting angelic voices singing a Celtic song filled the room. Everyone there was positive more than one woman was singing. The song spread out into the hallways, and out to where the ambulance had stopped to discharge its precious cargo. Everyone stopped and stared at Nikki. She was one of those voices but the others? No one else was singing. Goose bumps spreading up their arms, no one questioned nor discouraged her singing in a hospital.

The bawling slowed down to sobs and then quit. Nikki kissed the top of her head. “Rest little one, the nightmares have been vanquished.”

“She’s asleep. Put a blanket down on the table and I’ll lay her down again. You may finish your exams. Connie and Sheryl, take her home with you. She’s slept in your house often enough it will be familiar to her.”

Nikki laid the sleeping girl down on the blanket covering the table. “Sheryl, she needs to sleep in bed with you or Connie. One or the other of you be there full time for the next week. Even in the bath, stay in the room with her. She’s a very brave and resilient little girl but she watched as her parents were…, It will take a lot of closeness and lots of hugging for her to realize she’s not alone after hiding in the closet for three days.”

“Her grandparents left her mother a huge trust which passed onto Julie. The life insurance and the sale of the house will add to that. There will be certain items you and Mark might want to keep when the estate is sold. Give it serious consideration and I’ll okay it. There are two vehicles in the garage. Give one to Connie and if you want you may keep the other one.”

Sheryl looked shocked. “Are you executer of the estate? I never heard Jenna or Mark mention your name.”

“The legals will be drawn up as I have explained them.”

Nikki bent down and kissed Julie on the forehead as she tucked Miss Rabbit back up under her arm. “She’ll sleep the rest of the night. Don’t mention to anyone you have her. After that things will smooth out and you will be granted custody of her. I would take her with me except I have serious business to take care of to make sure she receives what belongs to her.”

“Miss…?” Sheryl was staring at Nikki.

“Julie’s mother and I are blood kin going back to the distant past. It was that bond drew me here. Until she comes of age, Julie belongs to us. You have my blessing to adopt her as your own in the coming months.” Nikki turned and walked out the same way Julie had been brought in from the ambulance, leaving everyone there wondering just who Nikki was?

0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0

Out in the parking lot Nikki meet another woman waiting for her. “Thanks for coming.”

“Serious shit Nikki. I can’t do what you are asking me unless you help with the legals. All of which will need to be predated of course.” She indicated for Nikki to get in the car.

They were slowly pulling out of the hospital parking lot. “Everything is in motion. The Will and power of attorney will be in your safe in your office tomorrow by one O clock. The files necessary for the courts and state records will be placed as needed so they will be official.”

Mikta shook her head. “I’m not going to remind you we are breaking a dozen or more laws. You’re going to tell me we aren’t because all the necessary papers were filed years before? Being around you would seriously mess up a person’s mind if it wasn’t already.”

“There is a small problem with the grandparents will. It is in a vault which had been magically warded. I’m headed that way today to take care of it and make sure you have that will in your vault. To make sure it won’t leave your vault I have laid a guard on it. It won’t matter if you want access as you will never know it’s there. It only works against those with magical ability.”

“Woman, if I didn’t know you already I’d be running. When you say you are going to see another magic user and they are holding papers you want? Don’t bring back any enemies.”

“Mikta, Joan has vowed to keep you safe. Personally, I’d trust the gun she carries to do the job if it was me.”

“When we were innocent girls in grade school back in Danton if someone told me we would all end up here in Willow twenty seven years later I wouldn’t have believed them. Nor would I have believed two of my best girl friends were witches, I wouldn’t have believed that either.”

“Not witches Mikta.”

“Keep telling yourself that Nikki because I ain’t buying it. Don’t tell me Joan isn’t one also. I’ve seen things move around her that ain’t natural.”

Nikki gave Mikta a hug before she slipped out of the car after Mikta stopped in back of the police station. “I’ll get things started in the right direction for Julie. Make sure the police and Child Welfare don’t get their hooks into her. She deserves a life after what she’s been through.”

“Is…, does she carry magic too? Is that why you came?”

“Distant relative and her magic if it comes will be limited to reading tarot cards or winning more than losing at poker or casinos. Nothing she can tap into and understand or know if it’s there, other than blind luck.”

“Good, two of you is enough excitement for me.”

“Joan isn’t a magic user.”

“Pull the other one. Bye Nikki, safe trip. Make sure that will shows up in my safe. Or I’m going to look awfully stupid in front of Judge Lana Harrison when I try and explain why Julie is safely cared for. And why the state taking over her life and her finances would be against her parents wishes and their will.”

0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0

Nikki walked into the police station the same way the staff and officers did. The parking garage behind the station with the entrance door for all personnel was on the south side of the building. It takes a card and the right coded numbers on the keypad before the door would open. Nikki didn’t need them. A hallway led past several offices and teed off both sides leading to more offices, interrogation rooms, small cafeteria and break room. Further into the building was the scattered desks where the police brought in the suspects and or took reports from civilians about stolen items, car thefts, muggings and such.

Vern was at one of those desks. Joan, Matt, Andy, and Paula at other desks. Nikki walked up besides Vern’s desk and sat down in the chair that was there. Vern was busy filling out a report on the computer. When he looked up he was surprised to see Nikki.

“What do you want?”

She never said anything but only stared at him.

“I asked you a question. Either answer me or get away from my desk.” Vern was beginning to feel uneasy.

By this time Joan looked across the room and saw Nikki, sitting at Vern’s desk. “Oh shit! Not good.”

In no way could it be called a smile as Nikki’s lips pulled back as her eyes were slightly closed. “You’ve been a very naughty boy. I warned you what would happen if you called Child Protection Services.

She reached out to touch his computer terminal ”sqrios e" She slowly stood up and turned to walk away.

“Bitch, touch my desk again and I’ll arrest you.” Vern growled as she walked away.

Besides all the investigative work they had before the murders, the team was also now into searching for leads Nikki had given them.

Matt heard Joan’s comment. He looked where she was looking and watched along with Joan as Nikki left the room. He leaned over toward Joan. “What did she say?”

Joan shook her head. “Best you don’t know.” Joan wasn’t too sure of what she heard. It was either ruin him or wreck him.

Matt was watching Joan. “I thought we were partners. You best clue the rest of us in. That was some really weird shit going on in that house today with what your sister was doing. Vern might think it was hokey, I don’t. The way she went straight to that kid and pulled her out of the closet? For three days a dozen officers and Tag couldn’t find her. It made a believer out of me.”

Joan was looking down at her desk and took a deep breath before she looked up at Matt. “The Hills Club after work. You aren’t going to believe me. I’ll share part of the story with all of you who want to hear it.”

Paula had been listening. “I’ll be there.”

Andy nodded in agreement. “Count me in.”

All four of them dug back into their respective searches. Matt was going through DMV to find white Ford Expeditions. Paula was calling pawn shops seeking information on items that had been recently pawned and the description of the person who brought the items in. She was hoping for someone described as a big burly biker with tattoos or possibly the blond woman. For a long shot it could be the guy described as weasel.

Nikki walked into Child Protection Services, past the security guards, the front desk, and to the security door leading into the offices and holding rooms which comprised the mammoth building. No one in the reception area noticed she never touched the security pad beside the door before she opened it and walked past security into the hallway. A couple hundred feet into the hallway she took the door to her right instead of the elevators on her left. Walking down the stairs for two stories she opened the door and walked into the huge complex of a dozen office cubicles. No one questioned her as she passed those who working with computers and data. Across the room she walked past the technician who kept the storage banks working in the environmentally sealed room behind the bullet proof glass and steel doors.

The technician had enough presence of mind to question her. “Miss, I don’t think you’re allowed in this area. Where’s your security badge and name tag?”

“Special operations.” Nikki placed her hand on the security pad beside the doors. They swung open as a blue strobe light above the doors started flashing. The doors closed behind her as she entered the room.

Walking down between the storage banks, she held her hands out toward the banks. She stopped and touched one of them. “sgrios fiosrachadh julie westmore”

Minutes later the doors opened as Nikki approached them and closed behind her as she left the room. The blue strobe light stopped flashing. All the technicians, and now all those who had been in the cubicles were watching as she left, the security door closing behind her.

Nikki had just walked into the stairwell when the elevator doors opened, two heavily armed security guards were headed for the computer records office.

0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0

Four detectives sat down at a table at a secluded corner in The Hills club at seven forty one that night. The waitress passed out menus and was waiting for everyone to decide what they wished to drink.

Joan didn’t wait for the others. “Bring four glasses and your largest pitcher of draft beer.”

She had already taken note of the waitress’s name tag. “Tina, there is a camera pointed at this table.” Joan pointed to the camera twenty feet away close to the ceiling. “Tell Morgan to turn it off. What is shared here tonight is police business. All four of us are working on a double homicide. What is shared is among the four of us only for ourselves.”

“Certainly, I’ll inform her.” Tina walked away. It wasn’t that usual of a request. Most of the patrons didn’t know about the camera since it was so far from the table. Verbal information wasn’t recorded but there was always the possibility of lip reading.

Tina returned shortly carrying four glasses and a large bowl of chips. A male waiter followed with a very large pitcher of beer. The talk of games, cars, sports that had been going on from the time everyone had arrived slowed down as the waitress and waiter left.

Joan studied those at the table she worked so close with every single day wondering if she was about to destroy that friendship. “I guess a demonstration might be the way to start this off. Whatever I am capable of doing isn’t even close to the scale of what my sister can do.”

She held out her hand. The salt shaker slid over into her hand. No one jumped or looked shocked. Joan knew they were trying to figure out the parlor trick. “Anyone else want to give that a try?” She looked around the table. None of the others were yet comprehending what they had seen wasn’t normal and not a trick.

“Matt, the back up you usually carry, did you leave it at the precinct?”

“No.” Matt patted his leg. A surprised look crossed his face. He leaned over the side of his chair and patted his leg again. “I guess I did.”

Joan gave a slight smile. “Billions upon billions of years ago, various life forms were created. Everything you have read in children’s books and fiction about Trolls, faeries, elves, goblins, witches, gods, giants, among all the other creatures of lore were all true. There was dissention of course among the creatures. Many claimed they were the top dog and should rule the world. Of course it didn’t set well with most and battles raged for centuries.

“I thought you were going to tell us about Nikki and how she found that little girl so quickly? I’m still not buying into she was talking to the parents who were dead.” Andy gave voice to the same thing Matt was thinking.

Joan nodded in agreement as the salt shaker slid back to the middle of the table where it belonged. “I’m getting to that. You need a primer first to follow what I’m going to explain about my sister.”

“By the way, Matt you want your back up piece?” Joan laid something heavy on the table wrapped up in her napkin. It hit with a solid clunk before sliding across the table and stopping in front of Matt.

Slowly unwrapping whatever it was, Matt finally figured it out without totally exposing his gun. His eyes were two saucers as he looked up at Joan, his mouth moving, nothing coming out.

Andy and Paula weren’t nearly as shocked because they had no idea only minutes before the gun was in a holster strapped to Matt’s leg.

“Over time of several million years, God figured out the different life forms weren’t going to get along very well. Humans were at the bottom of the mix even with Hercules and others tossed in now and then to balance the equation. The most contentious life forms were allowed to die out. Goblins, giants, Trolls, monsters, werewolves, were among those not able to breed more of their kind. Human giants and other super human aspects were removed as well. Witches had been breeding with humans and that is where the removal of a particular class of people gets sticky.”

Food arrived and Joan stopped talking. When the others wanted to ask questions she waved them off as she shook her head. This subject was not to be shared with outsiders.

Everyone had a plate of food but it wasn’t what was on everyone’s mind. Joan was spinning an impossible yarn of children’s tales no one could possibly believe and yet.

After the waitress left Joan shrugged and continued. “A lot of those life forms had been breeding with humans. The human giants were sterile and easy enough to let die off once the giants were removed. The Centaurs…,”

Matt and Paula didn’t look like they comprehended. Joan explained, “Half man half horse and all the other animal human combinations were removed. Two hundred Forty million years ago it was a pretty clean slate of life forms again. Humans were…, human, although dealing with the scum of society we have to deal with sometimes I question that.”

Ignoring her own plate she reached for a chip in the bowl in the middle of the table and dipped it into her own bowl of cheese sauce. “This is where my sister, myself, and a few others come in. Witches had bred with humans. The strain wasn’t pure but the magic inherited is. The magic isn’t passed down in an orderly fashion such as mother to daughter. Only if the mother has blood ties back to an ancestor who held the magic may she inherit it as a baby. Up until it becomes active again it will skip several generations of females and attached itself to the baby. Hundreds of years may pass before a female of the blood line inherits the magic.”

“Nikki?” Paula was looking straight into Joan’s eyes.

“Exactly. Nikki inherited the full dose. She is definitely not someone anyone would want to antagonize. She’s the sweetest girl on this earth but that means nothing if someone tries to hurt her or hers. Nikki was already at the home before I called her. Jenna carried the blood line. She never inherited the magic though. Julie carries the bloodline, like me she didn’t inherit but is tainted. Like being next to a fire and getting warm. One doesn’t need to absorb the fire but only get close. Nikki knew something was wrong when Jenna was being tortured, she felt it and came to find out what it was.”

“Unless I’m mistaken, if Julie finds her touch of magic she will be able to do simple parlor tricks like fetching the salt shaker like I did. She will be exceptional with what we call intuition and understanding the situation around her before anyone else does. Drawing lucky numbers in the lotto is still a hit and miss proposition but she will win more often then she loses if she plays.”

Andy and the others were now giving Joan their full attention even if they didn’t believe. Andy was the first to ask. “You won a new Ford Mustang four months back…?”

“Luck of the draw. I didn’t feel anything when I purchased the ticket. Not even a feeling I should buy one. Think about it, if I had any real magic at all I would have found Julie the first day. I move salt shakers, not win the lotto, horse races, or card games. All of us have played poker together and my winning hands means I’m the first one in the game to go broke.”

“Nikki?” Paula asked again.

“She could win every lotto if she wanted. Horse races would be a no brainier as she turned in the winning ticket. If she did, it would out her. Like all normal people she wins some loses some. She’s been banned from several casinos not because she was winning excessively but because she wasn’t losing like they thought she should.”

A wicked smile crossed Joan’s face. “By the way, the casino manager, Elvin Blain who was mangled by a stray dog was the manager of one of those casinos. Richard Harris was another. He was hit by a hit and run driver. He’ll live taking pain meds everyday.”

She summoned another chip from the bowl before she looked around the table. “Vernon screwed the pooch by crossing Nikki when she told him she didn’t want Julie sent to child services. I heard him talking to Carrie on the phone before Nikki arrived. She knew he was doing it. I think she dropped a goblin on his desk. Don’t get close to him unless you must. His world is about to turn to shit if it hasn’t already.”

“You said goblins were removed from the world.” Andy was thinking Joan had contradicted herself. The story wasn’t true.

“Yes they were. If one has enough hold on magic they may recall what they want. Nikki has never recalled a demon and I pray she never does. A goblin is bad enough. They are mischievous to put it in simple terms. They can and will make one’s life miserable or total hell. They can’t possess anyone. They get their fun tormenting that person. Try and stay away from Vernon or the goblin she unleashed might decide you’re fair game too.”

“Can you see it?” Paula was curious.

Joan shook her head. “Growing up with Nikki as my sister, I was tainted with magic. I didn’t inherit any.”

“If Vernon apologizes?” Matt interjected.

Joan shook her head. “Things have been set in motion which are irreversible. Vernon crossed the line with my sister. He had been warned. Nikki is the only one who can vanquish the goblin. Once one crosses the line with her she seldom forgives. Julie is in her care. If Nikki had to wipe out Child Protection Services to keep them from getting hold of Julie she would be capable of doing just that.”

“Pay close attention to not only Vernon but any rumors coming from Child Protection Services. If Vernon called Carrie and told her about Julie and Carrie decided to act on the information, things are going to go to hell in a hand basket over there. My sis will make sure they have other things to worry about besides that little girl.”

The others were wondering if someone had the kind of magic Nikki did why hadn’t they heard about it before? At the time they weren’t thinking it was all behind the scenes happenings nothing could be proven. Maybe they had heard about such magic but it never really happened as it was an accident or a fluke of life. Maybe if they heard about such things they dismissed them as lies and tall tales. The things that went on at the Westmore house? Just a lucky guess the little girl was hiding in the closet. The idea she was talking to the dead parents could be explained as any fortune teller does the same using a crystal ball. Great acting was all it was. And when the time came for the killers to be captured along with recovering a white van? Even when the killers turned out to look exactly like Nikki described them, no one of the four were going to admit it. Best to keep one’s distance from things one can’t explain. Denying everything is the safest option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nikki had logged into Atlanta Hartsfield–Jackson International Airport hours before she arrived at the terminal. There was a long line at the American Airlines ticket window. Finally after almost forty three minutes she got to the window. “I should have a ticket waiting on me to Portland International.”

Cindy looked up. “Yes ma’am, name please.”

“Nena Pérez.”

The corners of Cindy’s mouth curled up for an instant. “Miss Pérez, coach is full. I may bump you up to business if you like.”

“That will be fine, thank you.”

“There is a hundred and twelve dollar additional charge. If you will swipe your card through the scanner.” Cindy pointed to a scanner just inside the counter window opening.

Nikki swiped the card several times. It didn’t register. It was if it was a blank piece of plastic. “Would you try it please? It worked when I pre registered for this flight.”

“The scanner gets a little cranky at times. Let me try it.” Cindy took the card and scanned. It worked perfect. “Miss Pérez may I see your id please?”

Retrieving her billfold out of her purse Nikki took out her passport and handed it over.

“Everything is okay, you have a seat on AA146K. Your flight goes to Dallas. You must switch planes to AA251J to reach Vegas. There you will switch planes to AA 113P to Portland. Have a pleasant flight Miss Pérez and thank you for flying American Airlines.”
Cindy handed back the credit card and passport.

Nikki gave a smile to Cindy as she understood what it took to put up with cranky public day after day. “I’m sure I will, thank you Cindy.”

Fifty eight minute later Nikki’s ride, a Boeing Seven Thirty Seven, was rolling down the runway. Five minutes after that she heard baby girls crying in the First Class section. There was also some man loudly complaining about the crying and demanding they shove them off the plane or make them shut up. She wondered if the man even considered the aircraft was already twenty thousand feet in the air and still climbing? No one was going to stop and put any passengers off. She rose out of her seat and headed forward to check on the situation.

Walking up to the first class section the man was getting louder and almost screaming which wasn’t helping calm the two babies across the aisle. The mother was trying to hold and rock one while patting the other in her futile attempt to calm them. Nikki walked up to the row of seats where the mother was. There was a man seated there also. Not the woman’s husband or the kids father as he was trying to maintain distance instead of helping. Across the aisle was the obnoxious man whose complaining and volume was going up.

Nikki held out her arms to the mother. “Gayle, let me hold Bonnie while you try and calm Brittany.”

Gayle had no idea who the lady was or where they had met, obviously she knew her and the twins names. “She handed Bonnie to the lady standing in the aisle and turned to pick up Brittany out of the seat beside her.

Nikki started swaying side to side with the baby in her arms. “Shhhhh little one it will be alright.”

She focused on the man in the same row of seats. “Mr. Gordon, there is an empty seat back in business section. If you go there and let me have your seat I’m positive things will calm down a whole lot sooner.”

The man across the aisle screamed. “An empty seat away from this! It’s mine.”

Nikki turned around and looked at him. The coldest temp ever recorded on earth wasn’t near as cold as the look she froze him with. “The seat is mine to offer not yours to steal because you want it. Sit down and shut up!” Then she softly whispered. “senta non movas garda.”

As the man tried to get up to go claim the seat back in business an icy cold hand touched his chest and pushed him back down. Dane almost pissed himself.

Nikki addressed Mr. Gordon again. “Sir if you would, the seat in business is yours. I would like to sit in your seat, please.”

Gordon worked his way to the aisle as Nikki moved out of the way. He was headed for the rear of the plane. She glanced at the man across the aisle. “ deixao levanter e mostralle o bafio unha vez que estea ali non o volas.”

Dane felt an urgent need to go to the bathroom. He was quickly headed that way.

Nikki put her little finger in Bonnie’s mouth and rubbed her gums. “They are teething and of course it hurts. They don’t know why.”

Nikki began softly singing a Nordic Wolf Lulabye. Everyone in first class stopped talking to listen. Bonnie got quieter and quieter until she fell asleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmatjyd4KM

“Trade.” Nikki held Bonnie to Gayle as she picked up Brittany. Softly she started signing again as her little finger rubbed back and forth on the little girl’s gums. Nikki swung from side to side and sang the Wolf Lulabye. Slowly Brittany stopped crying and fell asleep. Nikki moved in and took the seat vacated by Gordon.

“The twins are beautiful. You are blessed to be their mother. They are blessed because you and Daniel are their parents.”

Gayle shook her head as she studied Nikki. She wiped her eyes with a clean diaper as the tears begin to fall. “Daniel was let go last week from the architectural firm he was working at. He’s been looking for work without any luck. My landlord evicted me because I didn’t have next months rent. Daniel lost his apartment. The girls and I are going to Austin to meet him. I hope we can get some government assistance or else we are going to be living on the street.”

Nikki bent over and kissed Brittany on the forehead. “Sometimes the darkest skies are before the brightest morning. I have a friend in Austin. You call her and tell her Nikki sent you. She has a house big enough to hold your clan and then some. Daniel will find a job don’t you fret. Maybe if he’s as good as he thinks he is, the job will be with the city as an inspector checking structural integrity of old buildings and buildings damaged by fire.”

A hopeful smile touched Gayle’s cheeks for a second. “Anyone who could quiet the girls as quickly as you did has to be a fairy godmother. I believe you. What was the song you were singing? It was so beautiful and haunting at the same time.”

“An ancient song from the past. A Wolf Lulabye.”

“It was beautiful.”

Several of the passengers around them had turned to watch and a few of them were begging her. “Do it again.”

Nikki shook her head. “No but I’ll give you another one. It needs musical instruments and additional singers to accompany to truly be appreciated.” She began singing in a clear beautiful voice that mesmerized everyone in first class.

One of the women several rows away moved out of the way as her boyfriend reached up and opened the overhead. He handed her a flute case. Across the aisle a man opened up the overhead and handed the girl beside him a guitar case. Another lifted a case out and removed a kalimba https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftixDeFEV8g More and more musical instruments were coming out as the passengers retrieved them. Most of the artists were gifted and could add to the song as Nikki sang it. Some amateurs were missing notes now and then but all in all the whole plane was enjoying the musical impromptu. It was as if magic was in the air.

Several of the women joined Nikki in Tir na nOg ft. Oonagh harmonizing as if they had been doing it for years.

Nikki pointed at the girl with the flute. “Soft Goodbye.”

The young lady nodded and began as the rest of the musicians waited. Unbelievably Nikki harmonized with the flute, no words just pitch. A minute into the melody, she began to sing, the guitar player was wishing she had a drum as she thumped the beat out on the back of her guitar.

As they walked down the aisle checking on passengers the stewardesses were smiling as they worked their way between the musicians. They were thinking this was the most enjoyable flight they had ever worked. Of course the pilots didn’t let the entertainment piped up from the back on the intercom distract them. They were enjoying it just the same. In the business class everyone had big smiles on their faces.

Gordon was thinking even though he might have traded up from first class to business he had been cheated leaving first class where all the singing was coming from. Still, like all those around him, everyone had turned off the ear buds, and movies. They were all earnestly listening to the live singing and music. Several of those girls who were singing were top music hall singers. The players had to be in a band or orchestra. Several million dollars worth of talent? No one thought flash mob, they were too good. The pilots along with the flight staff and other passengers were kinda disappointed when the singing and music stopped. The staff knew why instruments were put away again. It hadn’t been mentioned over the PA but the flight was closing in on Dallas and everyone would need to have their seatbelts on.

The flight crew was thinking it was a little strange to have this much talent on one flight. Even if a passenger was famous no one broke out in song or played their instruments on an airplane. Yet, count them, thirty one singers and players on the same plane and almost everyone of them was exceptional.

After touch down and the plane docked, passengers were streaming off the plane. Nikki picked up Bonnie. “I’ll help you get to your next plane.”

Gayle shook her head. “What about you? Are you going to Austin too?”

“No, my next plane is headed to Vegas where I’ll switch again and end up in Portland.”

“I can handle the twins, you’ll miss your flight.” Gayle was wrapping Brittany up in her baby blanket.

“If I do I’ll catch the next one. Come on you need to let Southwest know you’re here and ready to fly to Austin to see your husband.”

Twenty one minutes later Nikki and Gayle were standing in front of the Southwest passenger loading lounge. Nikki waved one of the flight stewardesses over. “Oh Miss, Georgia, may I have a moment of your attention please?”

Georgia wasn’t shocked the lady knew her name. After all it was on her nametag. “Miss I’m supposed to be helping passengers board the plane.”

“Yes Hon, and this is one passenger you can help. Georgia, meet Gayle and her two beautiful daughters, Bonnie and Brittany. It would be kind of you to help get them situated on the plane.”

“Really not my job.”

“We would be most grateful and it will only take a couple minutes. I would do it but not my flight and someone would be unhappy if I put my foot on that plane without a ticket.”

“I guess.” Georgia wasn’t too sure.

Nikki bent down and kissrd Bonnie on the forehead as she held her. “No crying on the plane. You and your sister can save it and let it out when your daddy is holding you.”

She handed Bonnie over to Georgia and reached for Brittany. “May I?”

Gayle never even questioned why as she passed her over. Nikki bent over and kissed her on the forehead. “You heard what I told your sister. The same applies to you. No crying on the plane.”

Nikki handed Brittany to Georgia back and then passed Gayle a business card. “This has Jessie’s address and phone number. Daniel doesn’t have a car yet. He’ll take a taxi to the airport for you and the girls. You can’t go back to your husband’s apartment. He no longer has one. I’ll give Jessie a heads up and she will meet you and Daniel at the airport. She’s a tall girl, six one and has a figure that drives every female who sees her crazy with jealousy, including me.”

Gale and Georgia were staring at Nikki. Both were thinking the same thing, if they only had her figure there was no way they could be jealous of another woman. If a Ten was perfect then the woman in front of them was an Eleven.

Nikki reached out and gave Gayle a hug. “Everything will work out. Give it a little time and relax while you let Jessie look after you and the family. She’s a real sweetheart.”

It shocked Georgia when Nikki stepped to her side and hugged her. “Thank you for taking care of them. This trip has her and the babies stressed out.”

Georgia was at a loss as to how to answer. “uh, sure, not a problem.”

Nikki turned and was headed to catch her flight to Vegas.

As Georgia and Gayle walked onto the plane Gayle realized she had never asked the lady’s last name nor had it been mentioned.

She had no luggage to handle and Nikki made it across the terminal in good time going from gate sixteen to gate seven for her connecting flight to Vegas. Showing her ticket and boarding pass she was sent straight to the plane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gayle and the twins arrived in Austin-Bergstrom International Airport before Nikki reached Vegas. Georgia had asked her to wait until all the other passengers had deplaned. When the last one stepped into the tunnel and left she headed back where Gayle was wrapping up the girls in their blankets.

Georgia picked up one of the twins. “Which one is this?”

“Bonnie. I can’t thank you enough for helping me with the girls.”

“They are so precious. I can’t believe how peaceful they’ve been. You must have gave them both a tranquilizer.” I hope when I have kids they are as good as these two have been.” Georgia hugged Bonnie as she kissed her forehead.

Gayle shook her head. “You missed their introduction when I boarded in Atlanta. I couldn’t quiet them. They were upsetting the other passengers. One man was very vocal about removing me and the girls from the plane. The lady…, Nikki. The one you met in Dallas, she came up from business, traded seats with the man beside me, and told the man who was screaming at us to shut up. He left and I never saw him the rest of the flight.

Gayle looked lost in thought for a second as she picked up Brittany and was following Georgia off the plane. “The lady was a god send as she held each of the twins and they settled down immediately. She must have hypnotized them? She sure did the rest of the passengers. She started singing to the twins and the passengers wanted her to keep singing. Several of the passengers had instruments and they soon had them out. Several of the passengers were beyond belief in singing along with her. She was just so amazing. She put the twins to sleep and caused the whole plane to become a flash mob singing and playing…,”

I didn’t mean to tell her all my problems but she was so easy to talk to. It was as if I had known her all my life and she was my bestest friend. My husband was laid off from work and she said he would find a better job. His car was totaled four days ago by a large truck crushing it at a shopping mall. Daniel wasn’t in the car, thank God but now we don’t even have a car. Insurance decided they won’t pay for a loaner while they decide who was at fault is hashed out in court.”

Georgia and Gayle had walked out into the concourse. Gayle was wiping tears. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to spill all my problems onto you.”

“Nonsense, problems shared are problems halved. Is your husband meeting…”

“GAYLE!”

“Daniel?” Gayle looked up as Daniel was trotting toward her.

He cautiously hugged and kissed her making sure to not squeeze the baby. “How was the flight?”

“You wouldn’t believe it.” Gayle nodded toward Georgia and the bundle she was holding. “Meet Georgia, she’s one of the angels who helped me take care of the girls. I couldn’t have managed without her.”

Daniel nodded at the flight attendant. “Thank you so much. Here let me have the other one.” He was reaching for the baby.

“The pleasure was mine. They are such cute adorable babies.” Georgia gently handed over Brittany while watching one of the tallest women she had ever seen walk toward them.

The lady stopped in front of Gayle. “You have to be Daniel’s wife and these are his daughters or else he has a second family and you aren’t Gayle.” Was the melodious voice, seductive and captured the imagination and promises of things to come.

She gave Gayle a smile as the corners of her mouth turned up. “I’m Jessie, I was asked to meet you here at the airport.”

As tall as the lady was, there was nothing out of proportion on her. She well endowed and had the body of a super model in an extra large package. Her facial features fit the gorgeous glam model look along with beautiful polished auburn hair that framed it, picture perfect.

Gayle and Georgia couldn’t stop staring for the longest time. Long seconds later Gayle finally broke out of the trance. “She said she was jealous. I don’t see any reason to be jealous. She is such a beautiful woman herself. Even if you are insanely beautiful…., “

“Except there’s just so much more of you.” Gayle’s cheeks flushed red with embarrassment following her last comment.

Jessie gave a slight giggle. “I’ll take that as a compliment. I’m positive she will too when I tell her.”

Gayle’s cheeks got even more red if possible.

Jessie reached out handing a card to Georgia. “For taking care of Gayle and the girls. A pass for four to Eddie V’s Prime Seafood. Order anything and whatever you want, there isn’t a limit. The gratuity is taken care of also. You won’t get a check, don’t leave money on the table when you and your party are finished. Same for valet parking. It’s taken care of.”

“I..I…I…I can’t. I was happy to do it. They are so cute and well behaved. Everyone around them wanted to take pictures of the twins. I had to shoo them off after a little while so the girls and Gayle could get some rest.”

“Yes you can. Call ahead to confirm as I don’t want you worrying about the cost while you’re dining and entertaining your friends. Two weeks on the seventeenth you have three days off. Call ahead, confirm the reservation. You have one special man you been dating. Maybe a night out and relaxation will put him in the mood to ask.”

Georgia was shocked. She knew she had been hoping Ken would ask her for the past nine months. How did this woman she had never met before now know? “Okay.”

Jessie gave her another hug. “Thanks again.”

Georgia turned and was in a daze as she walked back to the American counter to collect her own luggage.

Jessie held out her arms to Gayle. “Here, let me hold that little bundle of cuteness and give your arms a break.”

She kissed Brittany on the forehead as she held her. “Thalita has the SUV and will meet us at out front. Oksana and Natalie will collect your luggage.”

Gayle was fumbling with the diaper bag and her purse. “I have the tickets for the luggage…”

“They don’t need them. Let’s head for the front. I believe the timing is about right as everyone gets there.”

As all of them reached the front of the airport an electric blue SUV pulled up. As Oksana and Natalie were loading Gayle’s baggage, two airport security guards walked up, a man and a woman. “You aren’t allowed to load here. Go to the baggage level or the upper level.”

Jessie had noticed them approaching and was ready. She gave them a smile. “I’m sorry officer Jackson but you are mistaken. Curbside pickup and unloading is permitted as long as the vehicle isn’t left unattended, single operator vehicle, and or isn’t there for a long period of time. If you look at the security codes there isn’t a set time limit.”

“If we stop now, unload everything, reorganize, let our transportation go so we may meet up again at the upper baggage level we will be here twice as long than if you let us load and depart.”

He was glaring at Jessie now. “You will move now or I’ll give you a ticket.”

As soon as the words left his mouth he started jumping around swatting at his pants and yelling. “Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow… Something’s biting me, stinging me…, ow, ow, ow.”

He was frantic now and running back inside where he knew where the nearest bathroom or security room was. He was desperate to remove his clothes, specifically his pants. The female officer followed.

A smirk was on Jessie’s face as she turned back to getting everyone loaded. All her ladies were grinning or giggling.

Thalita finished hooking up the security seats for the twins. “Ready for the cuties.”

Gayle looked surprised. “You have seats for our girls?”

Jessie was busy fastening Brittany into her seat. “Of course.”

Natalie was doing the same for Bonnie after she retrieved her from Daniel.

Minutes later the full SUV was pulling out away from the curb. Officer Jackson was looking miserably at hundreds of little red welts all over his body. After he had got rid of his uniform he shook hundreds of little black fire ants out and most of them weren’t dead and still looking to attack anything. He escaped into one of the showers and turned it on full flushing dozens more down the drain.

Fifty nine minutes later the SUV turned off the street onto a long driveway as the big iron gates opened. Thalita drove up a long curved driveway and stopped in front of the huge, expansive home. Thalita and Natalie were busy getting the twins out of their baby carriers as Jessie opened of the back doors of the SUV and was sitting luggage out on the driveway.

“Daniel, you expected to go back to the motel room you rented. Understandably you didn’t bring any luggage. Grab a couple cases of Gayle’s luggage and she can take care of most of the baby gear. I’ll show you to your room. The girls will take bring your girls and follow us.”

Daniel finally found his voice after staring at the house for a while. “You live here?”

Nikki’s flight had landed at Reno, Nevada, and she was on her next ride. It had already left the terminal headed for Portland. Marta would meet her at the Portland International Airport.

0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0

Jessie and the ladies guided Daniel and Gayle into the house. She glanced at her watch. “Supper is around six. It’s four thirty now. I suggest you get settled into your room, freshen up if you feel like it. You may want to take a time out for the day until it’s time to eat, that’s up to you.”

“Daniel, I know you left everything in your motel room when you took an Uber to the airport to pick up your wife and kids. You may pick up your clothes tomorrow. The household items you have in storage will keep until you land a new job. I will loan you a vehicle for you to do your running around tomorrow unless you wish to have a driver.”

She pointed up the stairs. “Natalie would you please be kind enough to show our guests to their room.”

“Certainly.” She collected Bonnie. “Daniel, your wife has been carrying the girls most of the day. If you will take Brittany, I’m positive she will love you for the help.”

“Follow me.” Natalie headed up the stairs.

Gayle turned toward Jessie. “Ma’am, I don’t…,” It was then David and Gayle notice the portraits on the walls.

They noticed the opulence and obvious grandeur of the house spoke of wealth and class from ages past when they walked inside. There was nothing cheap in the house. There were several breath taking portraits of elegant women on the walls. One didn’t need to be an art collector to understand the paintings were priceless. The portraits were of women spanning back several centuries, long before Texas was settled. Each woman’s attire represented a different nation.

Daniel and Gayle were looking at the portraits of the beautiful women who adorned the walls. The first one closest was a woman with glistening black hair. The Spanish woman was elegantly dressed in the finest elegant gown with all her jewels and crown. Her portrait radiated strength, power, and intelligence. So real it was as if she was there before them. She had to be a queen or princess.

There were six portraits were on the walls as Daniel and Gayle looked at and stared at each one ending up looking at the last one on the wall across from the Spanish Queen. A portrait of a woman with long, polished, black hair. She had the bluest blue eyes, even in the portrait they seemed to look straight at and through them, piercing one’s soul with intelligence from the ages. Her face was of ageless beauty, a valentine face with high check bones, and full luscious heart shaped lips. Long lush lashes any woman would have died for.

She was dressed in tan leather halter vest, ultra short tan leather skirt, sandals with leather laces up the calves of her legs. There was a huge, long bow over her back, a leather holster laced to her right side, a second shorter leather holster with it holding what must be a knife. There was a leather sword sheath laced to her left side. The huge broadsword she held with her right hand was stunningly beautiful in it’s deadly simplicity. It radiated deadly strength and power itself, held by the only person who could command it, the woman. As simply as she was dressed, her portrait screamed strength and power…, and royalty, a warrior, a Nordic Goddess.

None of the portraits were signed by the artists nor did they revel the name of the women on each one. As rich and elegant as the heavily engraved and burnished frames were, the portraits regulated the frames and everything around to non existence.

Jessie gave her two guests time to check back into reality after they stared at the portraits for ten minutes. “Everything is taken care of Gayle. You, Daniel, and the twins are in my care now. It is a joy to have young voices in this old house once more. Now go, relax, if you need anything holler down the stairs. We aren’t so formal we forgot how to live like regular people.” Jessie motioned Gayle to follow Natalie, Daniel, and Oksana, up the stairs.

In Daniel’s and Gale’s huge elegant bedroom there were two bassinets and two cribs. Gayle and Daniel were too shocked to say anything until Natalie had pass over Bonnie. She and Oksana quickly left to let the guests sort themselves out.

“Daniel?” Gayle was looking at her husband.

“I met her at the airport before your plane arrived. The twins weren’t mentioned until you and the stewardess showed up carrying them. Hon do you remember her talking about my car being wrecked and me needing a job? None of that was mentioned either. It’s down right spooky and I haven’t any idea how she knows.”

Gayle placed Bonnie on the bed and retrieved the diaper bag. “Sweety, you only know half the story. There was this lady on the first leg of the flight from Atlanta to Dallas. The girls were unhappy and letting the whole plane know it. Both of them crying and I couldn’t hush them. This lady, this total stranger comes up from business and asks to hold Bonnie, one of the girls. She knew their name and mine. She started singing…, she called it a wolf lullaby. Bonnie immediately calmed down and was soon sleeping. She passed Bonnie back and asked to hold Brittany. Just as quick Brittany calmed down and was sleeping. She knew…, Daniel, she knew the twins were teething and somehow she stopped their pain.”

Daniel was staring at his wife and thought he had it figured out. “She met someone who knew you and the twins and told her all about you.”

Gayle quickly finished cleaning up Bonnie and fetched Brittany for the same. She was cleaning up Brittany’s bottom with a washcloth she had fetched from the bathroom. She shook her head. “Guess again hon. She traded her high priced seat with the man who was in the seat beside me. Besides the twins, she enchanted the whole plane. Soon a dozen people had instruments out playing and singing with her. From what I could see not a single person had their Phones out or reading books. They were either singing and playing with her or they were listening and enjoying songs none of us had ever heard before. Some of those instruments none of us had ever seen. Other than the ones playing those instruments that is.”

Gayle turned her full attention on Daniel after taking care of the twins. “Hon, she told me about you getting laid off work and losing your apartment. I knew you had lost your job. I didn’t know you lost your apartment. Did you tell Jessie, because she knew?”

0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0

Nikki had arrived at Portland International. No luggage to mess with she walked quickly through the airport after deboarding. A dark blue Lexis pulled up to the curb the same time as Nikki. She opened the passenger door and slid in.

“You have the address?” Nikki was wrapping up her seatbelt as the driver pulled away.

“He has an office in a business center and his home in an upscale gated community.”

“The deeds and wills he has been hiding are at his home, two two four six Sycamore Lane. Take me to his home. Jenna’s parents aren’t the only ones he has failed to full fill his obligations as an attorney. He has support and it isn’t coming from a mortal.”

Nikki gave her friend a serious look. “BJ, find someplace private to pull over. I need to cast a protection spell. I can’t do it while we are both setting in the car.”

“What are we walking into, Nikki?”

“Something really bad. If we aren’t prepared ahead of time we aren’t going to live to tell about it.”

Almost an hour later JB drove into a gated community and stopped in front of a large impressive looking modern home. “Nice. Too nice for a single lawyer. Are we ready for this?”

“I feel the will is there. I traced the path through Julie, Jenna’s parents and their touching and handling the will.”

BJ shook her head. “And all the way across the nation. Do you realize how scary that makes you?”

“Let’s do this.” Nikki slid out of the passenger seat and headed for the house. BJ was close behind.

Nikki blocked the security cameras before she and BJ reached the front door. “Give me a few seconds. There is a security system inside the house a second one to the downstairs den, a third one to his office, a forth on the stairs going up to the bedrooms. He was really paranoid about anyone getting into his home past the front door.”

BJ heard the locks on the door clicking. The door handle swung down and the door opened. “You know where what it is you’re after so I’ll follow.”

“Stay close, we aren’t alone.” Nikki walked quickly across the receiving room, living room, circled around behind the big wide staircase going up and started down the stairs going to what in this home would be the den.

BJ was one step behind. The idea there was something else in the house besides them wasn’t anything she wanted to face alone.

Nikki stepped around a huge office desk. She pulled the executive office chair out and shoved it to the side. She reached under the desk and touched a button. Behind her a huge bookshelf began sliding to the side. She and JB were looking at a large door to a four foot wide by five foot tall safe embedded in a solid concrete wall.

Balls of light hit Nikki and JB almost simultaneously. The area around both women lit up.

“Don’t move out of the circle JB.” Nikki looked back across the room at the person standing there looking a little surprised.

Long dirty brown hair hung over his shoulders. His mouth was more wolf than human. His eyes had vertical black pupils. His hands more claws than fingers. His bare broad chest, and abs gave the image of great strength.

“You’re full of surprises, Darling. You went straight to the safe. And your biggest surprise, I didn’t hear you cast a protection spell. Care to tell me what spell it is so I may work around it next time?” He gave a feral grin showing a mouth full of sharp ponted teeth.

A smile slowly spread across Nikki’s face. “Tresden, never a pleasure to meet you. I wondered who Jonas Harriton had been taken in by. A lying snake of a lawyer making friends with a demon. That’s something one doesn’t run into everyday. Does Jonas know how you treat your friends when they are no longer useful to you?”

Tresden took a couple steps closer to the women. “You trying to talk me to death, Sweety? I have all the time in the world waiting for you and BJ to step out of your protection. How much time do you have?”

BJ looked shocked. “You know me! For your information, you fucking abomination, we have all the time in the world.”

He took another step closer to BJ and gave her a feral grin. “I’m going to enjoy you when you step outside your protection. You can’t stay there forever bitch. You’re mortal and sooner rather than later will give it up while I wait. No need of dragging out the waiting game and the pain. I like my flesh fresh and feisty.”

“Go to Hell, you piece of shit!” JB had faith in Nikki’s powers but facing a demon was scaring her.

“Hey, fish breath, if you’ll go back to playing with your lava rocks and letting your little demon buddies use you as their girlfriend, BJ and I’ll finish up what we came for and leave.” Nikki was taunting Tresden to get his attention on her and off JB.

A deep growling rumble rattled the room as his eyes became squints. “All of us will enjoy your pleasures when I take you back with me. You and your little cunt girlfriend.”

“lock hann inn bondage, remove hans powers, kasttilr voiðrinn” Nikki’s shield dropped.

At that same instant Tresden felt fear for the first time in his immortal life as a blade passed through his back.

“brimir kastinnr heaven, demon slayer” Came from a woman’s voice said with conviction behind him. Tresden’s body disappeared into nothing.

Nikki shook her head. “I could feel the place had a watcher. What I didn’t expect was a demon.”

The wards around JB disappeared. JB was staring at the incredibly beautiful and at the same time sinister looking woman holding an exquisite if deadly rapier. The sword, crossbar, and sweepings looked like gold. Of course gold would be too soft unless magically enchanted which led to JB’s duh moment. Any sword capable of killing a demon had to be enchanted.

Nikki gave the slightest of curtseys and nod of her head. “Allatu, thank you for dropping by.”

“My pleasure, Tresden was becoming a pain in the ass. I have been delegating more authority to those around me. Tresden took that as meaning I was getting weak and losing control which he wanted. This was the quickest way of taking care of a problem with the help.” A cloth appeared in her left hand. She wiped down the blade.

JB swallowed as she stared before giving a hint of a curtsey and bow of the head. If her memory served her right Allatu was goddess of the underworld.

Walking over to the wall safe, the door opened before Nikki spun the numbered dial or pulled on the handle.

“I see you haven’t lost your touch.” Allatu let a slight smile touch her face and her lips.

Nikki was reaching into the safe to retrieve several binders. “Wards and enchantments are easy, demons, not so much. I could have easily outlasted Tresen by myself. He would have grown weaker and then tried to flee given enough time. Him using his spells against us. JB wouldn’t have lasted long enough for him to weaken. Your help was greatly appreciated.”

Allatu held the sword out hilt first to Nikki. “Appreciate you letting me borrow it. Turned a difficult task into an easy one. Return it to its resting place for me since you are headed back that way.”

Allatu was starting to fade out after Nikki took the sword. “No charge on this favor since I planned on getting rid of Tresden anyway.”

She looked over where JB was still standing still as a statue. “Forget what you saw here and do not mention the sword under any circumstances. Only four of us know what it is and what it can do. Keep it that way.”

Alluta disappeared!

JB stared at the place where Alluta had been for many long seconds before turning her attention to Nikki. “Sword?”

Nikki had the documents and will of Jenna’s parents in her left hand while holding the sword in her right. Gradually the binders and sword faded from existence, the safe closed back up and the dial spun.

Nikki sighed as she turned her attention to JB. “As Alluta said, nothing you saw here leaves this room. I’ll come back later and deal with the lawyer after I place the legal documents where a lot of people are suddenly going to find a little girl inherited a business, a home, and a lot of stocks, bonds, securities, and a huge savings account from her grandparents and parents.”

JB nodded in agreement. “Okay, now clue me in about what is so secretive about the sword?”

It reappeared in Nikki’s right hand and seemed to have a glow around it. JB realized it was a magical aura. “It’s enchanted!”

Looking at the sword Nikki nodded. “Yes. It was created thousands of centuries ago. The world had a problem with creatures other than humans, demons, witches, and the like. There was an Evil unlike any other. It consisted of basically nothing except pure Evil. There was no way to kill such a thing and yet it feasted regularly on the living, enveloping them and sucking their soul out of the flesh body. The Gods feared this Evil would end up devouring all life so they came together and forged a sword made from blood taken from all the Gods and bonded with something which has no body itself, light.
Theia brought the sword to earth and gave it to one of my great ancestors, Lia who herself had several close calls with the Evil knowing it would return to feast on her.”

“As you may surmise the Evil did return for Lia. There was a fight and Lia won killing the Evil. Instead of being destroyed it became millions of small pieces which fled. That is what is infecting our world today. Not strong enough to do evil but certainly strong enough to encourage others into doing evil things themselves. Thus those like the lawyer who didn’t tell Jenna and Mark about the will but kept it to himself and was pulling funds out of it.”

As she held the sword up it cast a soft glow. “Guardian, forged by Gods from their own blood. The one weapon all evil fears for all those small pieces of Evil don’t have the magical strength to avoid being sent to nothing if touched by this. There are those who would stop at nothing to get their hands on this sword and destroy it if they could. That is why you may never say anything about what happened here. Especially never say Tresen was destroyed by a sword.”

The sword disappeared again. “I need a ride to Renton Municipal Airport. Nicole is giving me a ride back home. The time factor when this binder needs to be in Mikta’s hands is too short to take a commercial flight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the first incomplete story I have posted. I understand there are other stories many have commented on as needing more to the story but I couldn’t. Stories are given to me as I have no talent myself. There will be more story added to Seer Two

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Secret heroes

Nikki and her friends are the kinds of people we all wish we could be.

I would love to see SEER 1 at some point.

At some point Nikki is us

BarbieLee's picture

Hugs Monica, a little of Nikki is in all of us and of course the opposite is true also. I think it's called being human.
https://tinyurl.com/bdhxaddf
Barb
May life treat you kind.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Nikki and SEER1 and 2 also 3

This is a Beautifully crafted story. Please let us see SEER 1,
and also continue the story. Your tales always have that
special something.

Polly J

In Time

BarbieLee's picture

Life has a nasty way of getting in way of front of all the things we want and we end up doing what we must instead. The completion of Seer 2 will be first as that is where whoever, whatever is telling the story is leading me. Don't know is Seer is half finish, three quarters finished or what? I only put them to print, I'm not a writer.
Hugs Polly, one doesn't need to understand where the road of life is going, most don't. We follow where it's laid out for us and the forks in the road? We hope we make the right choice.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Great story!

I would also like to read SEER 1. Is it available?

Some Projects Take more time than others

BarbieLee's picture

Sent an incomplete copy of Seer to Cathy over a year back as I was needing an opinion on the story line. While re reading it, this one came and now you have the reason 2 got ahead of the other. 2 will be finished before I return to the other.
Hugs Dreamweaver,
When we are putting the last pieces of the one thousand puzzle pieces together we find the Mfg didn't include all the pieces in the box.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Loved the story, will be

Loved the story, will be eagerly waiting for more.

Me Also

BarbieLee's picture

"Loved the story, will be eagerly waiting for more."
You know Guest that is exactly how I feel. LOL hugs hon

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Touched by a . . . ?

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Witch? Fae? Something, for sure and certain. I’ve got a bone to pick with Lia, though. She cut evil into so very many little bits that they are frickin’ everywhere, and there aren’t enough Nikki’s around to run them all to ground. Not by Avery, very long patch!

Emma

If You Were There

BarbieLee's picture

Some people complain because their bed sheets weren't tucked in properly before they pull all the covers into a big pile as they go to bed. Then they kick their feet around until the covers aren't strangling their feet. Still it's that first thought the sheets weren't tucked right as they go to sleep that upset them.
Next time woman, you want the demons slain the job is yours. You will find me on the sideline holding up the score cards.
Hugs Emma,

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Nikki is -- disturbing

At the beginning, the story sounded interesting. But as it went on, I found Nikki more and more disturbing. She seems to have limitless power, and uses it according to her whims, including doing horrible things to anyone she takes a dislike to. Vern may have been a jerk, but her revenge upon him was excessive, especially since it seems she could have just undone what he did. Moreover, since later in the story she overrides an annoying man's thoughts and feelings, she could have just made Vern not want to call CPS. She also uses her power to rearrange things for the benefit of someone she takes a liking to -- but if I were that person, I would worry about whether she might turn on me and make life hell.

To be honest, I would find being in the same world -- even the same universe -- with someone like that frightening.

Strange Way of Looking at Right and Wrong

BarbieLee's picture

The story is fiction but in ways also coincides with what is going on in the world today. There is no way I'm trying to work through the logic of doing good is wrong. Nor am I explaining what parts of the story echo the world news.
If five hundred people go to a concert and enjoy it..., maybe a movie..., any enjoyment. By your logic they are wrong because the rest of the world didn't get the same pleasure? The musicians, actors were wrong to provide that entertainment?
Hugs Asche
Barb
Life is a gift, meant to be lived not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl